[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: No OP questions edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 50

File: 1472860869256.jpg (127KB, 611x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472860869256.jpg
127KB, 611x640px
>Latest News
New UA!!! Artificer!!
New 5e book announced: Tales from the Yawning Portal
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html
>>
That Wizard is so ripped.
>>
>>
>>51129205
>>
Any helmet that filters your voice so you sound like sone dark lord?
>>
>>51129234
Yes, it's called minor illusion.
>>
reasons i didnt like CoS

>backstories for characters don't matter/can't be easily incorporated into the story
>almost every single npc in this game is a cunt
>no where to really take a breather safely
i get that's the point of CoS but as a game it's just too stressful, at least give us a hidden cave or something
>a deep fear of the world is instilled into the players making them not want to explore
>enemy types are lackluster, no references to soth or vecna
>Strahd comes across as a Bond villain
>>
>>51129184
Is Muscle Wizard. Mixes protein potion when is downtime. Is good, ya?
>>
>>51129262
>>51129234

Prestidigitation mah african americans
>>
>>51129156
Thank you OP for not posting animu/fetish/scalyfag shit. You're a good OP.

Thanks, ohpee. Thopee.
>>
>>51129366
I'm with you. This is a decent OP image.
>>
>>51129269
Guy was such a BAMF.
Even punched the semi-physical manifestation of Dark Powers in their face when those refused to let him out. Who else can say they sucker-punched an entire demi-plane?
>>
File: 1484006870953.png (388KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1484006870953.png
388KB, 803x1000px
>>51129366
like this?
>>
Well, <NEWEST_UNEARTHED_ARCANA> sucks. How do you fix it?
>>
>>51129402
i thought they let him go because he was too boring?
>>
>>51129412
Replace the mechanical servant with something else
literally the only thing
>>
You can stow one object and pull out an object in a single turn without spending an action, right?
>>
>>51129366
>>51129396
Thanks

>>51129412
><NEWEST_UNEARTHED_ARCANA> sucks
I liked the new class, it uses the same damage scale as the rogue (which I like, because its a linear progression, not that multiple attacks thing). It's also very flavorful, the subclasses could be better? Maybe, something related to wands would fit Eberron better (class original setting), but I like what I saw, not the strongest class, but certainly fun.
>>
File: muh containment boardd.png (109KB, 543x365px) Image search: [Google]
muh containment boardd.png
109KB, 543x365px
>>51129433
Wrong website.
>>
>>51129476
>>51129366
>>51129396
fug
>>
what spells should I take at first level for a battlefield control wizard?

right now I've got Minor Illusion(cantrip), Silent Image, Grease, Sleep, Shield, Find Familiar, and Mage Armor
>>
>>51129476
no you nigger, i'm saying i thought the dark forces let him out because he didn't do anything

>It is believed that his refusal to face his past sins and his willingness to suffer his curse led to his release from the Mists; Soth simply withdrew and ignored Sithicus until he was released.
>>
File: 1475366284271.jpg (6MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1475366284271.jpg
6MB, 3000x3000px
This pic will be next OP

>>51129411
>like this?
This is horrible
>>
>>51129564
go kemono or go home
>>
>>51129496
For some reason i read that as "battle field corn troll" and got really confused
>>
>>51129468
No, you can only do one or the other. You can drop an object to the ground for free, though.
>>
>>51129442
Replace the class feature but also make it an archtype. Gunner, alchemist, roboticist. Make it like a metal detector at that level for finding magical shit.
>>
So how does the Grappling hook work i can't find it in the Player hand book. Does it give advantage on checks when scaling walls or is it free pass?
>>
>>51129442
>>51129660
Keep the feature. It's cool.
>>
>>51129698
Presumably you attach it to a rope and toss it, so you can get a rope to a place farther away than you can reach and then climb that.
>>
>>51129705
It's too cool to be a feature, it should be an archetype built around that feature.
>>
>>51129705
Its a big powerspike that falls off really damn fast while also stepping on ranger's toes. It needs some form of change. Maybe something about mounting some of your shit on it to improve its abilities but that feels too much like an archtype than a class feature.
>>
>>51129734

My thought was too make the third archtype have scaling for its pet based on the BM and to let you buff it with spells in some way
>>
File: puzzled archdrake 2.jpg (32KB, 333x343px) Image search: [Google]
puzzled archdrake 2.jpg
32KB, 333x343px
>>51129470
>It's also very flavorful
In what way? Instead of actually brewing stuff/crafting, the alchemist simply pulls out an infinite amount of Acid/Alchemical Fire vials (which are 25/50gp items, but they're actually not those items and don't act the same mechanically despite sharing the same name) out of his majickal self-replenishing bag, degrading those works of alchemical wonder to mere cantrips that just don't count as spells.
I'd have a more genuine alchemist experience by using herbalism/alchemy kit with the DMG variant rule on mixing potions and spending my short/long rests brewing shit and mixing said brewed shit, with a chance of blowing myself up or accidently making a vile poison. You know, the actual alchemist routine: talk with your GM about harvesting rare materials from slain monsters, investigating which effects they might produce and so on. Maybe pick up the Alchemist UA feat and the UA Wizard Artificer if I want those cheesy 40 hp superior healing pots.
The Artificer Alchemist feels like it belongs more in a videogame. I guess it's fine for people who wanna just put a gas mask/birb mask/big guy mask on and feel all cool about chucking unending acid flask around, but where's the innovation? The risk of performing dangerous chemical experiments? I'm not feeling it.
>>51129596
>corn monsters
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Death_cob pls no
>>
What are some important roleplaying tips for using a Duergar? What reasons could one have to climb up to the surface?
>>
File: 1403297295350.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1403297295350.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>51129402
>semi-physical manifestation of Dark Powers
>punched an entire demi-plane
>entire demi-plane

Are you always prone to such childish exaggeration, or is this an isolated event?
>>
>>51129838
>The Artificer Alchemist feels like it belongs more in a videogame
The thing is, this is 5e, it should be simpler than 3.5 and 4th, they don't want to make complex classes, with a lot of rules for crafting and shit.
>>
>>51129884
Definitely. No one wants to wait at the table while you jerk-off over inventory and crafting spreadsheets. All that extra shit is masturbatory busy work away from the gaming table.
>>
What's the best way to multiclass fighter and monk at level 8?
>>
>>51129955
Fighter 8 or monk 8.

Probably fighter 3/monk 5 with more monk level. Monk features work best with more monk levels. You get most of the best fighter features in the first 3 levels.
>>
File: downloadfile-4.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
downloadfile-4.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I liked this artificer better, it uses short rests to "prepare" gadgets and stuff instead of just magically pulling them out of a bag
>>
Question, Is the artificer gun considered a martial weapon?
>>
File: Cannonball-Rae-Torchlight-h1.jpg (72KB, 725x509px) Image search: [Google]
Cannonball-Rae-Torchlight-h1.jpg
72KB, 725x509px
>gunsmith artificer
>>
>>51129838
I remember when death cobs drained hunger.
Also
>death cobs are small and orbs of fire are tiny
>the most dangerous generic enemy in the game is the size of a golf ball
God I wish I didn't love DCSS with its little bits of lore so much. Basing a bit of the setting on it.
>>
>>51130005
D&D's version of the artificer has a history, and that homebrew is very far off the mark from the original Eberron artificer.
>>
First-time GM here. I'm reading the DMG's section on homebrewing worlds at the moment to make my first setting.

The section on the multiverse goes on a lot about multiple planes of existence and how I need at least the following:
>A plane of origin for celestials
>A plane of origin for infernals
>A plane of origin for elementals

But the more I read on all this complicated cosmology stuff, the more I feel like dumping it for something a lot more straightforward and easy

If I were to dump clestials and infernal entirely, (make the tieflings fey in nature instead) have the gods physically inhabit the material world (Mt. Olympus style) and just have the elementals and fey come from the earth itself, making the only other "plane" of existence the land of the dead, how much of the rest of the system do I risk breaking as a result? I know I'll either have to remove stuff like planar shift and astral projection or make it explicitly just for seeing the land of the dead, but is there anything else that would get offset by this decision?
>>
>>51130070
I think some of the biggest dangers with this is straight up taking away class features/spells like astral projection which sends you to other planes and what not.
>>
>>51130005

Nothing in that document is anything like an artificer.
>>
File: Mixing Potions.png (353KB, 293x586px) Image search: [Google]
Mixing Potions.png
353KB, 293x586px
>>51129884
Yeah, but I feel like they at least could've made it so that those alchemist fire/acid flask, heal draught potions, thunder stones and smoke sticks are actual, tangible items that you create during the short/long rest, and not pseudospells. Even if you would create them from thin air and perhaps in a limited quantity, it would still be better and allow some more flexibility and variety than just a single action that simultaneously involves the making AND the usage of the said non-item.
The old Eberron UA Artificer Wizard handled it better, especially if your DM would allow you to use the DMG rule to bypass the Artificer Wizard's 3 pot limitation at the cost of getting worse results, potentially wasting spellslots, creating a deadly poison or blasting yourself with 6d10 damage. Depending on your DM, maybe a little bit of tweaking might be required. But I really feel like these two simple elements on their own provide a more accurate representation of what an alchemist should be doing.
>>51129910
>his character has nothing to do during the downtimes and can only follow the story rails while wasting long rests on just regaining HP and class features
I pity you
>>
>>51129737
It feels like they wanted to give the class find steed but not give them find steed.
>>
>>51130130
>>his character has nothing to do during the downtimes and can only follow the story rails while wasting long rests on just regaining HP and class features
>I pity you
I pity the other players who have to wait on you to do that.

>>51130136
If they gave it Find Steed directly, it could be infused into an item so others could cast it.
>>
>>51130028
>>51130115
I guess that's probably why they didn't name it artificer, but I had an idea in mind and it hits the spot

What ever happened to this guy anyway? He made some quality shit
>>
>>51130232
>If they gave it Find Steed directly, it could be infused into an item so others could cast it.
I thought it was that, and it might even be that, but the current version of infusion doesn't allow it. The cast time is too long.
>>
File: 5e standard cosmology.png (514KB, 756x792px) Image search: [Google]
5e standard cosmology.png
514KB, 756x792px
>>51130070
Just use the standard great wheel cosmology. You can change what your material plane is like while keeping all the other planes the same.

That way in case they ever become relevant you can use what materials exist (DMG, forgotten realms wiki, 3.5e sourcebooks) as inspiration for cool shit to happen in those planes.
>>
>>51130274
Maybe they're protective of the paladin list. I would have thought Elemental Weapon would be a gimme for the artificer list too.
>>
I've spent lots of time shitting on the shit that is UA, and a lot of 5e content, but I gotta give the Jew his due: the artificer UA is near perfect.
>>
File: 1447984383442.gif (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1447984383442.gif
9KB, 200x200px
>>51129156
>You gain a number of extra tool proficiencies equal to your Int mod

Would this help Int from being such a major dump stat?
>>
>>51130369
Replace proficiencies with anything, like a language, or expertise in a specific knowledge, etc.
>>
File: smug yred.png (18KB, 406x442px) Image search: [Google]
smug yred.png
18KB, 406x442px
>>51130027
The living incarnations of atomic holocaust actually being the size of a tennis ball was such a revelation for me back then.
>God I wish I didn't love DCSS with its little bits of lore so much. Basing a bit of the setting on it.
It certainly has some interesting dungeon ideas, like the Lair or Shoals. Not really your typical undead/demons, but still terrifying.
>>51130232
>I pity the other players who have to wait on you to do that.
Why'd they have to wait if a considerable amount of game sessions end on players initiating a long rest, at the very least in my experience? Also what kind of a shitter DM would discourage their players from playing their character and doing more than just hack-n-slashing through things they throws at the party?
Besides, it's not like the interaction between Artificer Wizard and the DMG rule I've mentioned requires more than a couple of additional roll, but it already has heaps more flavour than the Chemist Artificer.
>>
Ok so my Alchemist ideas thus far

>>First two magic items are Goggles of Night and a Helm of Com. Languages fluffed out as Plague Doctor Mask/Hat
>>Healing draught Healer feat and Herbalism kit to be the healiest ever
>>V.human grabbing Observant to even out my Int and because I fucking hate failing perception checks
>>Half Plate barding for my Sabertooth Robot
>>Mounted Combat to try and keep the thing alive easier
>>Mostly buff spells to give other party members infused "potions:

After that I dunno maybe Ritual Caster for more versatility or Defensive Duelist so my Reaction can be used for something. Im trying to think of other things I can do to make it more fun mechanically
>>
>>51130295
That's true. And magic weapon has the wrong cast time to infuse. They'll need to work that out in post.
>>
>>51130447
>Also what kind of a shitter DM would discourage their players from playing their character and doing more than just hack-n-slashing through things they throws at the party?
The kind who thinks playing your character should involve interactions involving the other PCs.
>>
File: taps my mana.png (36KB, 352x424px) Image search: [Google]
taps my mana.png
36KB, 352x424px
>>51130474
And how interacting with the world and interacting with the fellow PCs is mutually exclusive?
>>
>>51129366
/5eg/ is usually good with OP images. At least in comparison to /pfg/
>>
>>51130516
We must be vigilant.
>>
>>51130506
What kind of weirdos do you play with? My players tend to do social interaction as a group and tackle environmental obstacles as a team.
>>
The one problem with the alchemist is that you're forced to take two very similar potions.

Alchemist fire and alchemists acid basically behave completely the same.
>>
>>51130269
Last I saw he had posted some other stuff for a dual wielding barb
>>
>>51130603

Ones a small AOE fire effect the other is a somewhat higher damage Acid effect. Its not immensely different but its just enough even if im betting Acid will be used way more often
>>
File: WRONG.jpg (52KB, 952x500px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.jpg
52KB, 952x500px
>>51130603
>acid and fire are the same

Your mother and sister are the same person, aren't they?
>>
>>51130672
Very rarely will that come up. But point.

>>51130662
I would have liked some more differentiation.
>>
>>51130602
The ones with more or less thought through characters that also sometimes tend to have personal motivation or even a quest of their own, as it should ideally be? Again, this does not exclude in any way "interacting socially as a team" or "tackling environmental obstacles as a group", just brings more variety and personal investment to the table.
What kind of casuals do you play with? A goody two shoes paladin, a beardy mcdrunkard dorf, a grumpy wizard and a hippie ranger on a quest to kill an evil lich overlord?
>>
>>51130136
It's fine, you can get a flying mechanical mount this way.
>>
>>51129411
>criticising the use of rhetoric to enthuse about a hobby where grown ass men pretend to be elves
Kindly go fuck yourself, you joyless shitburger.
>>
>>51129838
>I'd have a more genuine alchemist experience by using herbalism/alchemy kit with the DMG variant rule on mixing potions and spending my short/long rests brewing shit and mixing said brewed shit, with a chance of blowing myself up or accidently making a vile poison. You know, the actual alchemist routine: talk with your GM about harvesting rare materials from slain monsters, investigating which effects they might produce and so on. Maybe pick up the Alchemist UA feat and the UA Wizard Artificer if I want those cheesy 40 hp superior healing pots.

So you want the Artificer to be like the Ranger, and either be shit or require the group to suddenly adopt an entirely different playstyle?
>>
>>51130506
What sort of group interactions is "I brew potion" or "I harvest monster gut" going to create? Especially the 17th time, or the 117th time.

That's like saying the group should interact around the rogue being required to RP collecting their arrows after every battle.
>>
Sorry >>51129411, >>51130886 is meant for >>51129881. Browsing /tg/ on a smartphone with fat thumbs.
>>
>>51129347
Thaumaturgy, actually. Specifically mentions having a booming voice. Lots of Gandalf-y tricks in there, despite not being a Wizard spell. I should remember that Gandalf really wasn't what DnD calls a Wizard.
>>
>>51131096
Really, Gandalf multiclassed Wizard and paladin, with magic initiate as a cleric, and he put most of his levels into the paladin.
>>
>>51131096
>>51131123
For the last time, Gandalf doesn't have PC classes. He's an angel with a variety of spell-like abilities.
>>
>>51131123
Nah, he was just a Fighter focused on Int and Wis who happened to own a staff with a few spells in it.
>>
>>51131148
>>51131149
You're both wrong. He was a fighter, but he actually spent a lot of stat points on Cha too. He rolled damn well. He used his crazy-high Deception to tell people he was a demigod wizard, when really he was just a fighter with a staff and a ring of spell storing. Notice how when shit gets real he never starts casting Fireball or Black Tentacles, he just draws his sword. He knows damn well that all he has to offer is a few cantrips, and that he's better off using his Dueling fighting style and action surging his way to many crits.
>>
>>51129698
The DC of climbing a wall is usually a lot harder than the DC of climbing a rope with a wall to brace against, but check with your DM to see if it's automatic. Also, don't count on throwing a grappling hook any higher than 60 feet, the maximum range for a thrown improvised weapon.
>>
>>51131206
Players who play characters pretending to be other classes are cancer, and Gandalf isn't cancer. He just lives in a low-magic setting and you can't accept that because you have autism.
>>
>>51131228
>characters pretending to be other classes are cancer
Ugh, I know exactly what you mean.
"Hi guys, I'm a rogue."
>casts magic, pretty obvious it was him, completely caught
"Oh, so you're a caster too! Got any useful spells we should know about for when we inevitably end up fighting something big and dangerous?"
"Nah guys I'm not a caster, that magic was someone else!"
>18 deception
>the rest of us grind our teeth and drop it IC
>>
File: IMG_0360.jpg (333KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0360.jpg
333KB, 1280x1280px
Stat me
>>
>>51131279
DMs should never allow rolling for intra-party interaction, that's just asking for trouble
>>
>>51131279
*Angry beep sound effect"

Persuasion rolls don't affect PCs. The dice don't decide what your character believes, you do.

Furthermore, a sufficiently high deception roll is NOT indistinguishable from magic. You can't convince anyone of anything just by rolling well.
>>
>>51131352
Fighter variant human with tavern brawler
>>
>rock gnome gunsmith artificer, dwarf forge cleric, and a warforged

I want this party
>>
>>51131279
I can understand a Barbarian pretending to be a Fighter (until he starts raging) or a Warlock pretending to be a Sorcerer, but that's about it and they should eventually get caught by knowledgeable characters or NPCs.
>>
>>51130369
No. It'd just make Wizards and Mystics better.
Go figure out a way to make Strength comparable to Dex, or give Con a purpose beyond "dying slightly less".
>>
>>51130900
Please explain in what way what I've described would be a radicallly different playstyle.
>Doing your ordinary questing bullshit
>kill, lets say, a slaad, the fight is over and the party is fighting over the loot/investigating the rest of the room
>"hey Greg the DM, can I make an arkana check to determine whether I'm familiar with unique properties of this monster"
>"sure Ivan the Player"
>"i got 18"
>"then you are, its a slaad and it's this this and this, originates from there and does that and that with its mouth"
>"cool can i take one of its minuscule eggs and study it during the first available long rest with my alchemy tools i'm proficient with for possible applications?"
>"yes, but no guarantees your research is going to fruitful"
And that's it. And that already has heaps more alchemy to it than the alchemist subclass that creates magic effects out of thin air yet they don't count as such because they're science, but they are infinite in quantity since they're not even actual items and you don't have to replenish your supplies. And as an another example:
>"hey Greg the DM, I'm an artificer tradition wizard and I've made a health potion and a growth potion using my 1st level spell slots, would you allow to use the DMG variant rule to let me try and mix them together?"
>"okay, you rolled 26. They've successfully become a single potion with both their effects intact, but the numerical values are halved"
>"good, as long as it lets me bypass the limitation at the cost of additional spellslots. I have one potion left: and its climbing. I use my only 3rd level spellslot and make an invisibility potion. I then try and mix the 2 together again for something that would allow my rogue to move completely undetected on any surface without me using concentration"
>"you rolled a 1. 6d10 force damage. Make death saving throws, Ivan the Player"
How is the Alchemist Artificer any better at roleplaying an alchemist?
>>
>>51131395
Friends and I were literally talking about doing this last night, and the plans seem to be going forward
I'm the Dorf, and the warforged wants to be a mystic
>>
>>51130946
That's the "interacting with the world" part, why'd you think I meant this in a social group interaction way, especially if the person I replied to mentioned it first?
>>
>>51131395
Only if the artificer's mechanical servant is a tiny, offensive and comical version of the warforged, that mimics his actions intent on pissing him off.
>>
>>51131378
This is one of the best changes 5e made, even if it doesn't get noticed much. The NPC reaction tables in the DMG provide reasonable results based on their attitude, and a high roll alone will never change their attitude. You can't turn someone from hostile to servile with a single display of good manners, and an unbelievable lie is simply unbelievable instead of merely increasing the DC by 20. To get people on your side you have to, you know, do stuff for them that they value highly enough. You have to roleplay.
>>
>>51131429
>"cool can i take one of its minuscule eggs and study it during the first available long rest with my alchemy tools i'm proficient with for possible applications?"

Do you want to get infested with tadpoles? This is how you get infested with tadpoles.
>>
>>51129881
are you always needlessly an asshole?
>>
>>51131429
>animeposter

See that's all you had to say, now I understand you have autism and can't let other people enjoy things
>>
how's this sound as a really rough draft Life Cleric background

>Firbolg out in the ass end of nowhere away from the tribe for reasons
>Gets attacked by Orcs or some other typical baddie race
>Due to reasons is left for dead rather than being finished off
>As they're about to bleed out sees a god who offers to help
>Said god is an all but forgotten anicent Nature/Life deity
>Cleric is now travelling in their gods name on some still ill-defined quest, with the end goal probably getting their god recognized with a religion again

>Potential plot twists
>The god was sealed away for whatever reason and rude dudes are poking about to find out who unsealed them
>the "god" is actually a very powerful Fey seeking to grow even stronger
>The God's entire pantheon is resurging and they just happened to be first, which could have major effects worldwide
>>
>>51131410
Yeah, I don't mind it in theory, but in practice it'll end with smug players and annoying idiocies like "I cast [spell that helps him and only him] using my Subtle Spell, and act like some mysterious stranger did it.".
>>
>>51131541
Neat
>>
>>51131541
>the cleric's god turns out to be evil
>the cleric must use the powers that the god gave him to fight the god

I fucking hate this trope
>>
>>51131480
True science demands true sacrifices.
>>51131512
Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door, r/DnDGreentext is two blocks down.
>>
>>51131512
Good thing he was kind enough to post an anime then, so you could press the little triangle and hide the post and then not make a pointless reply just to whine.
>>
>>51131573
But that's not any of them, though it could fit on the list since I was considering a potentially CN Life god of the typical "survival of the fittest" manifesto.

Also said "powerful fey" would probably be Chaotic Good and looking for a way out of what they consider the boring ass Feywild (see the Sandman comic).
>>
>>51131395
>warforged is a druid
>mechanical servant and warforged in animal form are able to combine
>>
>>51131587
>you're not allowed to criticize anything, otherwise you're being autistic and not letting people enjoy their hugbox with robot bears
>>
>>51131429
The DM has delayed an inevitable decision he has to make. Either the thing you found can be used to make potions or it can't. And if the alchemist were designed in the way you want it to be, where every class ability is fueled with things found while adventuring, that decision means the difference between getting to play your character and having your character's abilities shut down. The way the alchemist is written now, the DM is free to answer yes or no and you'll be able to function either way.
>>
>>51131677
There is a big difference between hugbox safespace faggotry and getting called out for being a bitchy little cunt that doesn't contribute to the conversation because you're triggered by chinese porno cartoons
>>
Reminder that anime posting is a gambit. The anime poster is announcing their concession and loss in the argument. However, if you respond to an anime post, you lose instead.

The only winning move is to not respond to anime.
>>
>>51131740
If the anime girl is just a reaction macro that isn't directly related to the content of the post, I'm happy to just ignore it. If the anime girl is essential to the content of the post (Like "how do I build this character in 5e,") or if there is no content to the post whatsoever, report it.
>>
>>51131666
Satan's ingenious ideas part 667
>>
>>51130447
Zin and Xom are the founding gods of the setting
>>
>>51131740
The real winning move is not getting your balls in a twist over anime pictures. Especially here on 4chan.
>>
>>51131395
>>51131461
>mechanical servant is a larger and more serious version of the warforged that pretends it's the real one and the warforged is the parody
>>
>girlfriend is very short
>invited to join the d&d group
>makes a goliath barbarian with a ring of enlarge
Napoleon Syndrome is real.
>>
>>51131844
>very tall
>always play dwarves
what does this say about me
>>
>>51131905
cucc
>>
File: 1fztog.jpg (77KB, 330x497px) Image search: [Google]
1fztog.jpg
77KB, 330x497px
>>51131905
That you have good taste in fantasy races.
>>
>>51131948
Dwarves are as overdone and boring as elves.
>>
File: suzy.jpg (48KB, 310x285px) Image search: [Google]
suzy.jpg
48KB, 310x285px
>>51131693
>And if the alchemist were designed in the way you want it to be
That wasn't the main point. I've just made an example of how I in my opinion would play, from roleplaying standpoint, a superior alchemist than the artificer one using resources we've already been provided with. However, as a result of that example, I did make a point that my main gripe with the alchemist artificer was that it doesn't actually create items like the wizard tradition one does, but rather produces certain effects out of the blue. I believe that WotC should've utilized the waste-slots-brew-potions-and-other-alchemy-stuff mechanic presented in the Eberron UA, but expanded it into a full-fledged subclass of the artificer, because again, I dont think not breweing potions and creating instant effects is appropriate for an actual alchemist, and secondly, so there would be some synergy with the already existing variant rule from the DMG.
>where every class ability is fueled with things found while adventuring
That's just one of the applications of your tools, it doesn't have to be part of the class kit, although I do think that the alchemist should automatically gain proficiency in alchemist tools, but they can take it as a part of their character creation, so it doesn't matter much.
Although 1 free tool prof would be nice.
>>51131740
Have an alchemist anime girl, if it triggers you that much.
>>
>>51131961
koboldfucker detected
>>
>>51130463
Observant doesn't add to Perception checks you roll, just passive perception. But I agree that it is a great idea to take it.
>>
How many Holy Symbols is too many Holy Symbols?
Right now I have
>One on weapon I use for offensive casting
>One on my gauntlet I use for defensive casting and contact healing
>One on my Helmet for large AOEs and things like Auras
>>
>>51131429
>example one

You've conveniently stopped before actually explaining ANY of the mechanical effects, because you know as well as I do any possible implementation would be a disaster. You could do all that RP with the current alchemist if you want to.

But requiring the Artificer to harvest monster parts mechanically is going to end up as fucking shitty as spell components if not worse. Either it becomes as trivial and pointless as recovering arrows and so why include it, or it requires an entire shift of the party playstyle to accommodate tracking down certain monsters. If you want that, go play a Witcher RPG.

>example two

This has absolutely nothing to do with what you said you wanted alchemy to be about, the investigation and use of monster components. This is just refluffing a wizard and then adding a wild magic table that allows spells to be combined for some reason, which, whatever, you can go homebrew that if you want to.
>>
>>51132055
One of my fellow players has his tattooed on his forehead. Every time he's asked to describe casting a spell it's a massive ray of light shooting out of his forehead at whatever he's targetting.
>>
>>51129412
I think it generally hits a lot of good points, but a few things seem "missing".

>Crafting magic items.
Getting a free magic item every few levels is nice, but it also feels kinda "off". It's hard to explain, I just feel like it misses out part of the idea of an artificer by regulating it the way it does. But until they create an optional rule for magic item creation / crafting that works out better and takes proficiency into account, it works fine, if not really giving the "batman making his gadgets" feel.

>Infuse spells
The major benefit I can see to this (if I'm remembering the rules correctly) would be being able to have two concentration spells running at once. The other benefit is allowing self-target spells to target other members of the party by giving them the enchanted object. Otherwise given the very limited spells available to the artificer, you're just pre-casting a spell, and hoping it's relevant during the day, when you could just cast it normally.

It would be interesting to see how it might work if the infused spells lasted for two days, to compensate for the fewer spells an artificer gets, essentially allowing them to double their spells per day, if they saved all their spells from the previous day. But that might get weird.

>Attuned magical item bonuses
I like it, but it also seems to heavily rely on the game and DM, in a party of four, by default it's a total of 12 attunement slots, I'm not sure that bonus at level 5 is going to be relevant for a while in most games.

>Mechanical servant
CR2 or lower companion that as a reaction to you getting attacked can attack your attacker. Seems pretty good, but I'm inclined to be wary when the beastmaster ranger's whole thing is supposed to be having a companion to fight with, but it doesn't get something as strong.

>Alchemist
Some kind of delivery mechanism for the items, a sling/slingshot, crossbow, bow, nosgoth-esque grenade launcher. Being able to make something to extend the range.
>>
Trying to make an Alter-Self oriented character. Kind of like a Shapeshifter, but not a druid. More like some kind of being who can Evolve parts of their own body after studying beasts and monsters.

I was thinking of trying to have Absorb Elements + Alter Self so I can absorb/copy magic and attack with it to boost the damage of Alter Self Natural Weapons from 1d6+1+Str to 2d6+1+str whenever hit with a magical spell.

Does GFB or BBlade work with this build? Just want to run up to monsters, shapeshift my arm into their claws or spikes or w/e and slap them with it and have my version of their own stuff be more powerful.
>Stop hitting yourself

I know the only class at low levels that has access to both is Wizard. Are there any other kinds of spells like Alter-Self that can give me more cool evolution themed stuff?

I like the idea of this character who is maybe experimenting on himself to evolve into a "perfect being"

Adventuring with people to observe and learn their strengths so he can incorporate the powers of these champions into his evolution.

I figure he's more of an intuitive character. Less study and more that he'll watch something and understand how it works, but maybe not why it works. Like Sylar from Heroes if anyone remembers that show.
>>
>>51132079
Magic item crafting specifically has no rules because said rules are always terrible and 5E is trying to get away from 3E's having made everything a goddamn check that requires X amount of Arcana, these spells known and spell slots, and 6000gp's worth of fucking rubies.
>>
>>51130992
>a fatass with a childish penchant for lying

like poetry
>>
>>51132113
Why do people try to make characters of classes that don't exist
>>
>>51132150
Because I don't start with Class when making a character. I start with an idea.
>>
>>51130728
>I would have liked

you don't always get what you want, millennial

your opinion has no value
>>
>>51132113
Its up to DM fiat but I've seen a few (with diffferent DMs mind you) people do GOOlocks with Blade Pact where the blade is refluffed as growing weapons, and Warlock gets Alter Self at will at 9.

Try asking the DM.
>>
I'm working on my lady eboshi character from the last thread who will either be a fighter with a specialization in firearms or a gunsmith artificer.

my question now is which makes for a more compelling motivation/backstory. do I make her an already established noble of Not!iron town fighting to protect and expand her domain or do I make her an upstart noble or someone with pretensions of nobility, whos goal is to establish said place, gain the title and expand from there.

the former is more true to where she was in the movie but the latter makes for good starting character motivation. I may just make her a upjumped noble perhaps a former prostitute that tricked some minor backwater noble into marrying her of a small shitty plot of land and expand from there. any thoughts?
>>
>>51132170
Are you aware that's literally wrong
>>
>>51132113
>>51132198
On this note, GM fiat is what you should go for because what you want simply doesn't exist. Ask your GM if you can fluff a touch-range spell attack or a magical weapon as actually being you having magical claws or whatever. As long as the mechanics are RAW legal and you don't make an ass of yourself presenting your idea, a decent GM will let you do it.
>>
>>51131429
>"Hey can I study this egg?"
>"ye ok"

>"Hey can I mix these potions?"
>"ye ok"

Both are alchemists, you retard.
>>
>>51131965
Artificers vain proficiency with so many goddamn tools already, if you make one who isn't proficient with the right tools already you've got nobody to blame but yourself.

Your other complaints are such minor quibbles that they don't even need to be addressed.
>>
>>51132055
I think reliquary is underrated, despite being inferior to emblem and amulet in terms of weight.
Nothing like blessin'n'smitin' people by waving a severed hand of a long dead saint.
>>51132072
Please go 2 posts above and notice that I never proposed to impliment that as a part of the class kit, I just compared the Tools+Wizard Subclass+variant rule+UA Feat to the Alchemist Artificer that was released yesterday and concluded that, from roleplaying standpoint, the former is superior, because you can create tangible objects and participate in the experimentation minigame using your class features and the variant rule, in stead of simply producing instant effects. Yes, you can go Artificer Alchemist + Alchemist Tools, but there would not be any actual synergy between the two.
>This is just refluffing a wizard and then adding a wild magic table that allows spells to be combined for some reason, which, whatever, you can go homebrew that if you want to.
But none of this is homebrew OR refluffing, the wizard tradition was in the Eberron UA and the table is from DMG.
>>
File: 1471091070233.jpg (256KB, 1050x823px) Image search: [Google]
1471091070233.jpg
256KB, 1050x823px
I liked the old UA Artificer when it was a wizard tradition better.
SURE it didn't have a robot buddy or guns, and you were kind of boxed into playing a mountain dwarf if you wanted the full flavor of the 3.5 version, but it had a wider variety of spells.

I imagine a multiclass of artificer wizard/artificer would be pretty cool, but you'd deny yourself some really damn cool capstones. What would a good build plan for it be?
>>
>>51132175
>people using millenial as an insult
Admitting you are a lower quality of human being isn't really smart, gramps
>>
File: 315431.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
315431.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>51131501
>implying I have to have a reason
>>
>>51132216
You're not going to be playing in any games anyways
>>
>>51129737
Replace it with a tiny optionally non-robot version. Something that doesn't have great stats and acts on your bonus action to provide a small combat benefit ala familiars.
>>
>>51132257
>but you'd deny yourself some really damn cool capstones
You're never getting either so who gives a shit
Any feature past level 11 may as well not exist for the purposes of build theorizing
>>
File: 22451-6828-2324.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
22451-6828-2324.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>51131905
>>
>>51132246
Except RAW and as been mention before many times, alchemist artificer doesn't make any potions, so without using alchemist tools, he can't mix any. Unlike the other subclass of the other class.
>>51132250
>Your other complaints are such minor quibbles that they don't even need to be addressed.
I don't think being unable to actually create any potions or items as a dedicated alchemy subclass is so minor if you consider that some earlier released wizard subclass can do that, and it synergizes with some other optional rule rather nicely. But whatever floats your boat. I'm just disappointed how little
But I am starting to repeat myself here.
>>
>>51132309
rude dude.
>>
>>51132125
Yeah, it's a really hard thing to nail down and get right. I feel like there should probably be some form of it when there's a class who's "thing" is supposed to be about crafting magical potions/items, and without it that is only expressed as "Get near-infinite amount of these specific potions", and "Get a free magic item at these levels".

I can absolutely understand why they did it the way they did, and it's not a significant loss if it's not there. It's probably easy enough to just fluff anything someone wants to make with Tinkerer's Tools as magical instead of mechanical, and just handle it the same way someone asks "can I make a rope-arrow of some kind?".
>>
>>51132113
Draconic sorcerers have scales and eventually can grow more dragon parts, while also having access to some self-altering spells. Other option is a Moon Druid, but I believe that's about as close as you can get right now to what you want without refluffing stuff.
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (92KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
92KB, 900x900px
>>51132284
>>
>>51132366
>I'm just disappointed how little you can do as an Artificer Alchemist.
fix
>>
>>51132371
Rude but factually correct.
>>
>>51132175
Sure. And that's why I pirate instead of pay.
>>
>>51132256
>notice that I never proposed to impliment that as a part of the class kit

>>51129838
>You know, the actual alchemist routine: talk with your GM about harvesting rare materials from slain monsters, investigating which effects they might produce and so on.
>>
In light of the release of Artificer, I'm looking at the Bag of Holding (uncommon) versus the Handy Haversack (rare). Is there something I'm missing, or is the entire point of the Handy Haversack lost to new standardization?
>>
>>51132246
Vs

>hey can I study this egg?
>hol' up, gotta side track the game for 15 minutes while I roll some tables, kill momentum, and play a mini game with exactly one member of the party
>oh shit it went poorly, get penalized and have your character die for doing the exact thing your class is supposed to do
>>
>>51130672
his point wasn't the damage type but having to take two of them
>>
>>51132382
Who pissed in your tapioca anyway? Shouldn't you be out playing bridge with eunice?
>>
>>51132420
Yeah, it seems that way. Haversack being rare and not being the low-level option in this case is pretty weird. They're functionally the same now, but the haversack has three spaces instead of one but holds less stuff overall.
>>
>>51132408
____________________________________________________________________________________________nah____________________________
>>
>>51131385
Which archetype?
>>
>>51132236
You seem to be a very rigid person. I bet you lack the ability to compromise with people and think outside of the box.

>>51132239
>because what you want simply doesn't exist
But...Alter Self gives natural weapons. I mean...that spell alone gives me what I want.
>You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice.
So if I want to grow a limb that is like an Otyugh's Tentacle or a Ankylosaurus Club Tail Alter-Self grants me that ability. Just weaker.

But one question is
Would GFB or BB work with a natural weapon?

Also, does anyone know of any other spells that grant things like this? Barkskin or Stoneskin are good examples. I guess I can just look through every spell and figure it out myself though.

Also >>51132376
Thanks, i knew Draconic Sorcerers had scales, but i didn't know about the other dragon parts. Might work well.
I actually had an idea for a character who was trying to become a Dragon by being a Draconic Sorcerer and a Moon Druid and he'd shapeshift into Dinosaurs as "imperfect dragons"

Mostly I am not looking to get EVERYTHING, just trying to find all the features in-game that atleast at on a RAW perspective, get me there. Then just pick the class that gives me the most of those features and/or Multiclass.
>>
>>51132500
Champion
>>
>>51132466
Oh, so it was just whining, gotcha
>>
File: 1470878988286.png (358KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470878988286.png
358KB, 1280x720px
>>51132236
>>
>>51132412
That's just me talking about more usual implementations of alchemy kits which I use as a part of the
>compared the Tools+Wizard Subclass+variant rule+UA Feat to the Alchemist Artificer
Comparison, I'm sorry if I worded that in a misleading way. Again, yes, nothing is stopping the Artificer from picking the tools as well, but he's not gonna benefit from it as much as a rogue would. There won't be any synergy. The Wizard is better at alchemy than the Artificer. That's a mistake on WotC's part, in my opinion.
>>51132462
>hol' up, gotta side track the game for 15 minutes while I roll some tables, kill momentum, and play a mini game
>during the long rest
At least try to read.
Also what about that 15 minutes talk? How is it supposed to take any longer than other players using their class features and making certain requests to the DM during the rest or in other times?
>oh shit it went poorly, get penalized and have your character die for doing the exact thing your class is supposed to do
I'm sorry, but how chucking refluffed and slightly altered firebolts and acid sprays is any better or even the thing my presumed class is supposed to do?
>>
>>51132523
Per the errata, unarmed strikes are not weapons, and GFB requires you to "make a melee attack with a weapon", not "make a melee weapon attack"
>>
I want to create a Dwarf who uses a lightning gun. I have no idea where to start.
He's not really a magic user, but he's a engineer of sorts who learned how to magically charge a gemstone with lightning and harness it as a minigun.
What class should I look into/adapt without it being overpowered.
>>
>>51132635
Thanks! I didn't know that it was labeled as such in the erratra, and I was confused because while it said "with a weapon" i was curious if a Natural Weapon counted. That clears it up, you have been very helpful :D
>>
File: Protean Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Protean Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51132113
Here, an anon in 5eg made this, you could try that. Also, I've made a Fighter Archetype you might be interested in.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkNcPc-8x
>>
>>51132673
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
Check out the Gunsmith guy.
>>51132677
>:D
Don't.
>>
>>51132711
T_T
>>
>>51132711
Stop that shit
>>
Why is everyone so damn salty? Is it the weather? Lack of tendies?

Jeezlous anons we all are here cause we pretend to enjoy this game least we could do is act like it.
>>
When a Cantrip says
>The spell's damage increases by 1dX when you reach 5th level (2dX), 11th level (3dX), and 17th level (4dX).

Does that refer to the Level of the Class they took said cantrip with? Or total character level, including levels in other classes?
>>
>>51132809
character
>>
>>51132486
Well, that's just dumb.
>>
>>51132792
>salt
Where? The alchemy debates were more or less civil much like everything else.
>>
>>51132701
Holy shit those are awesome. Though I think my DM is more likely to allow the Protean than the Fleshshaped Warrior.
>>
File: macaulaycaulkin.png (784KB, 1666x868px) Image search: [Google]
macaulaycaulkin.png
784KB, 1666x868px
>>51132792
Where the fuck do you think you are you fucking puff pastry?
>>
I've been in a slump trying to think up a good Bard character.

I'm thinking of being a non-conformist fucknigger and make one who uses their voice instead of an instrument to command magic.

Any ideas for themes to go for? As of now the only real idea ive had was some kind of Archer, though that one anons idea of a necromancer bard mite b cool, probably only use non-human skellingtons
>>
>>51132257
Capstones wouldn't be that great actually. Wiz 6/Artificer 14 looks flavorful without sacrificing too much.
I'd start with wiz 1 for spellcasting and then go artificer til maybe fifth or sixth, possibly earlier depending on how bad you want a god damn robot and how well you want the robot to scale.

Abjuration, Divination, and Transmutation feel like they would fit well with it. Trans even seems like it was meant to be a 'proto alchemist' before artificer was even in production. Artificer wizard would be a little redundant but you'd have no shortage of items.

Too bad you can't infuse wizard spells, but that's the rule it seems.
>>
>>51132873
As someone who's also interested in adapting Parasyte/Prototype stuff to D&D, I'm also making a rogue archetype that could consume someone's hair or toenail to mimic them for a while, hide small objects like a dagger or thieves tools inside their body, create acids and poisons with their body, and make a mentally linked tiny spider that could carry a dose of that poison up to a mile away from them.

Also, do you have any feedback on the Fleshwarped Warrior? Is Explosion of Spines too much?
>>
>>51129411
HAHA im not the only one posting that image now
>>
>>51132894
Go necro bard so you can be the lead singer of your skelly band. Alternatively you now have a chorus.
Protip: The Thaumaturgy cantrip lets you sing 3x louder.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n43yvb1ltJ1snt29q.gif (443KB, 440x262px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n43yvb1ltJ1snt29q.gif
443KB, 440x262px
Is this an accurate representation of the Speak with Animals spell?
>>
>>51132917
Robot doesn't scale unfortunately It looks like diminishing returns for an alchemist past 9, unless you want to be shooty then go ham.

Especially since the thunderstones don't deafen, you really only have four decent options and youll pick them up by 9th.
>>
How do you make 5e combat interesting without spending 20 hours a week planning 3 battles?
>>
File: Master_alchemist.jpg (168KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Master_alchemist.jpg
168KB, 1024x768px
>>51133140
What are the best options before/at 9th then? Sorry, running out of time before work. can't do the re-reading myself.
>>
File: wellimgladyouasked.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wellimgladyouasked.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>51133155
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoELQ7px9ws

also: prep 4 or 5 very useful spells for your spellcasters instead of fully prepping out a spellcaster, since they probably won't be able to cast them all anyway.
Merge two statblocks together.
>>
>>51133155
Give each player a single plot-point-style currency per encounter, that they can spend to spiff it up.

Let them spend it to make unsteady rocks in the ceiling, an exploding barrel, a dangerous set of ruined furniture with lots of nails in it, etc.
>>
>>51133155
>have good players

I'm only a little joking but it really is about how you describe the action. You can make an encounter with a single gelatinous cube interesting if you put it in the right light.

Just rolling and yelling 'hit' or 'miss' is going to be boring.

Tactically, use 3 dimensions, light levels, or dangerous terrain to make things interesting.
>>
>>51133189
Tanglefoot
Swift step
Smoke Stick
Depending on party composition healing drought, After 9th you basically get the other options and another atunement youd have to rank that based on how your dm handles magic items, you might want to stick around for 10th for the next item but after that its kind of a slow down I'd prefer more spell slots.
>>
>>51133233
>Light levels

Why bother? Half of any given party will see through the dark.
>>
Rogue 6/Wizard 2/Fighter 1
Help me not suck.
I have a shield and a shortsword, and my build is based around sneak attacking on my turn and whenever an opponent flees from me (which they often do thanks to our terrifying paladin and his magical sword). Used to be I cast a bunch of abjurations to ward myself, the barbarian and the paladin from danger, but last session they realised I was wielding a shield and you can't do somatic and material components with a shield in hand. I honestly didn't know this. I thought you could cast with your shield hand, since clerics, eldritch knight and paladins constantly do this.

I do know that Warcaster will let me do somatic components with a weapon or shield hand, but how about material components? And I'd prefer a fix that doesn't require a feat at all, since I'm already starved of ASI.
>>
>>51133155
From the DM side, make shit up as you go and make things happen that no one expects in a fight. The building they're in is on fire, the roof of the dungeon collapsed and things from the surface are now involved, a flood is threatening to drown the party and the goblins.

As a player, either aim to cause things mentioned above or learn to enjoy less exciting victories.
>>
>>51132917
It's a shame you're going Alchemist.
A gunwizard could've picked Storm Domain Theurge and deal guaranteed free 20 damage with the channel divinity thing. At Wiz 6/Art 14 that'd be 56 damage. Not too impressive, since at Wiz 6 you'd only be able to use it twice per rest, but there is some synergy. At least there's the maximum bass-cannon factor.
>Too bad you can't infuse wizard spells
Isn't that exactly what artificer tradition wizard does with scrolls, with the exception that you can't do cheeky stuff like picking a giant eagle robot that would deliver your infusions?
>>
>>51133155
Varied terrain that plays to an enemy's strengths. Traps and environmental hazards. Puzzles mid combat. Hostages. Enemies that can be negotiated with. If you're not averse to 4E tricks you could use minions for a horde of baddies (though you may need to use dice/candy to represent them if you don't have a ton of minis). Another 4E trick is to have several varieties of a bog standard enemy (this troll is smart enough to use armor and weaponry, this troll can cast spells, this troll specializes in throwing spears) Tactical positioning like murder holes, arrow slits, and ambushes if the enemies are on home turf. Two conflicting sides the party is caught in between, or three faction battles. Adding special abilities to boss monsters, or making variations on monsters by adding class features to them.
>>
>>51133316
there's always one that doesn't
>>
>>51133360
The moment you start abusing their lack of darkvision they buy darkvision goggles.
>>
>>51133336
use your shield as an arcane focus

Take another level in fighter for action surge
>>
>>51133416
How would Action Surge help me? Donning and doffing a shield is one action each.
>>
File: qpzCf.jpg (122KB, 325x427px) Image search: [Google]
qpzCf.jpg
122KB, 325x427px
I miss binders.
They're everything warlocks should've actually been, more unique mechanics and stronger pact flavour.
Why were they abandoned?
>>
File: 1467596786235.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1467596786235.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>Artificer
>Mystic
>Ranger
Soon enough we'll have an all UA party.
What do you want for next new class?
>I want a decent pugilist for just tanking and punching things.
Would this be fine if it dropped all the "linked to the city" shit?
>>
>>51133562
No, because you can already do most of it by refluffing the monk. The best you can hope for is a rogue or fighter archetype.
>>
>>51133316
I would be inclined to agree with you, considering 2/3rds of the PHB races have Darkvision, but all those characters will still need light to avoid disadvantage on sight checks. Darkvision doesn't make you simply ignore the dark, it just doesn't make you effectively blind in it. I'd say in that case lighting still serves a purpose.
>>
>>51133584
>refluffing fags

Please fuck off and join a freeform erotic roleplay play by post forum.
>>
>>51133611
>5e
>Mocking refluffing
Go play Pathfinder, you granularity-obsessed dipshit.
>>
>>51133584
>No, because you can already do most of it by refluffing the monk.
How? How do you turn "perfection in body and form" wuxia monk into "salt and vinegar, blood and thunder" boxer? If anything you'd change barbarian.
>>
>>51133562
I can believe it
>>
>>51133434
An extra action is always useful especially when you are casting spells. Shield + Attack, or Attack + attack or even double dash. There are very few reasons not to pick up action surge and will give you more damage than an extra d6 of sneak damage long run.

For somatic components you could argue that your shield is strapped to your arm and whenever you cast a spell you lose the +2AC, However this is not RAW

Otherwise you can instead use your otherhand and sheathe your sword cast a spell and unsheathe it as your next turns object interaction.
>>
>>51133658
Better join it fast, you'll need to refluff your penis length to be something visible.

Also
>5e
>Mocking homebrew mechanics

This edition was literally built from the ground up to encourage homebrew mechanics.
>>
File: 1464206989163.png (2MB, 1440x1849px) Image search: [Google]
1464206989163.png
2MB, 1440x1849px
>>51133676
Agreed, I feel like it will be a barb subclass like this one
>>
>>51133562
>drop street smart and rabble rouser
>dig deep moved to 13
>bloodied but unbowed moved to 4
>moxie-fueled fists to 7
>fancy foot work and shake it off removed
>drop everything on peak physical condition other than the ASI
>possibly something with Fighting Spirit
Does this trim that fat?
>>
>>51133708
>Penis size jokes make me manlier
5e was also built from the ground up to encourage refluffing when appropriate. They literally say in the book you can refluff elves into cat girls.

>>51133676
I think you can start with some monk for the martial arts and splash in some barbarian or fighter. But I do sort of agree; D&D needs to, at some point, separate martial arts from Buddhist mysticism.
(Wuxia is not really relevant here BTW; it refers to a particular genre which include martial arts, among other elements)
>>
File: 1446092523762.gif (930KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1446092523762.gif
930KB, 500x281px
>Warlock/Monk for growing a pact weapon out of my arm and Alter Self natural weapons with Flurry of Blows
Would this work? The alternative is starting with Moon druid as a base but wildshaping into an animal isn't as cool as partially turning into one.
>>
>>51133761
And they literally desgned an entire website (which is no easy feat for wotc) to encourage the sharing of homebrew mechanics.

Meanwhile refluff fags look at people having fun with mechanically different classes and openly complain about it. You are the ultimate "stop having fun" guy.
>>
>>51133719
3- scaling taveen brawler
6- open hand mong lv3
10- ribbon
17- fixed grappler feat

I'd allow it, practically wotc official
>>
>>51133705
I see. I could sheathe my sword as an object interaction, cast a spell, and then action surge to draw it again.
It does limit me to one somatic component spell per fight, but I guess that's better than spending a feat.
>>
>>51132939
Explosive Spines is fine. Though i've never survived my DM past level 10. So I might not be the best gauge for a 18th level ability.

I guess one thing to consider is, how do other party members react to a Fleshshaped Warrior.

Consume the Fallen was particularly grim imo, and I could totally imagine the rest of the party brandishing cold steel against the Fleshshaped after it eats an enemy.

But I guess you could say the same for a Necromancy Wizard due to summoning Skeletons and stuff like that.

Limbs like Whips is good if not a little tame. I like features that are not totally combat oriented. You could probably push it further in some regard. But i guess reach is really good.

I was admittedly surprised there wasn't a bonus to AC in this somehow.

Though I do like the idea of having the armour recede into the PC. Makes it so they dont have to worry about the peasants grabbing their torches and pitchforks.
>>
>>51133761
>They literally say in the book you can refluff elves into cat girls.
I don't remember reading this
>>
>>51133532
Ah yes, the best thing to come out of the otherwise total mess that was of Tome of Magic. I'd always wanted to play one, never got the chance.

For as much as 5e likes to add flavor to the class text, the Warlock's pact does come off rather bland and underdeveloped to me. It's just another multiple choice question that you answer at the beginning of character creation Faeries, Fire, or Fhtagn?. The Binder, with pactmaking being a central and active mechanic, would be very cool to see in this edition.
>>
>>51129156
Mystic when????
>>
>>51133719
I would like a Monk class that wears heavy armour please
>Has to craft its own armour
>Spiritual bond to its armour
>Special Armour related features
Basically I want to wear heavy armour and punch people with fists of steel.
>>
>>51133903
I dont remember Catgirls either. But I think in the PHB there is something about refluffing Gnomes or Halflings into Mice-People.
>>
>>51133967
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/818948229945434112
>>
>>51133990
Not PHB. I meant DMG.
>>
>>51129955
I don't think I would do this. Monks need wisdom for a good portion of their skills.
>>
>>51133842
It's gonna be pretty underwhelming mechanically.
>>
>>51133968
The machinist on >>51130005 has an "iron man" type subclass
>>
We're running a survival horror campaign but I've got a party of notoriously stupid players who love to engage every encounter and never contemplate running.

Due to poor dice rolls on my part and good rolls on theirs, they've been able to fight encounters which should've eliminated almost any coordinated party mostly unscathed. I'm talking critical fails flowing like candy from my hand here.

Should I keep going with the gradual scale of encounter difficulty until the dice decide to play along or should the next session start off with something that's so brutal, has consistent effects that'll fuck them over and see if they'll take the hint?
>>
>>51133562
>>
>>51133968
>Fighter 1
>Monk the rest of the way
>bolt warhammer head to your gauntlet
We're done here.
>>
>>51132055
You only have three holy symbols? I mean, I guess that's okay as long as you're cool with the fact that you don't really love your god...
>>
File: image[1].jpg (128KB, 737x521px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
128KB, 737x521px
>>51133844
>"Refluff fags openly complain about homebrew"
>Wigs out at the mere suggestion of refluff
>"NO YOU HATE FUN"
As an impartial observer of this interaction, you appear to be an idiot. Have your (You) and this neat hat. You'll look like a wizard.
>>
>>51134002
>https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/818948229945434112
Crap hopefully we get it in Feb
>>
>>51133874
or you could wait a round and object interact before you attack
>>
>>51134264
Then I don't get to sneak attack an opponent moving away from me. Seriously, almost every round involves someone fleeing from me and getting a sneak attack OA.
>>
File: 1474989026930.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1474989026930.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51134002
>>
>>51134307
This will soon be irrelevant
>>
>>51134330
It already is, the psionics 2.0 UA works fine and at least it's semi-official
>>
>>51134307
This is meh.
>>
>>51134330
Hopefully official mystic will be good enough to replace it.
Or it will be more or less the same.
>>
>>51134356
Not for nothing but that isn't really useful criticism.
What do ya dislike about it?
>>
>>51133967
>Mearls is changing Mystic to a d6 class
>Awekened probably will be a fighter subclass
>>
>>51134423
He's not, you faggot.
Also it was Crawford's idea.
Your memes are three weeks out of date.
>>
>>51134423
He is not you faggot I flat out asked him about this and he responded to my tweet and said it would be a d8 class.
>>
>>51134117
You can also, you know, talk to your players, remind them that their characters are in a seriously life-threatening situation and retreat is an option. More subtly, you can add to the description of these monsters how they size up compared to the party, without outright saying "it has a lot of Hit Dice and a strength score of 25". If they can't get the hint that way, I doubt they will in combat. Some players, specifically stupid ones, would rather die in a hopeless fight than avoid combat.

Possibly, they're just not all that immersed in a survival horror game, really. They might not really want to play characters with fear and self-preservation, even if they want to fight creepy crawly things.
>>
>>51134483
>>51134523
rude, but at least it isn't happening, thanks for the info
>>
>>51134295
WARCASTER I know you didn't want to take a feat but it is the only way to cast somatic spells with your hands full: "You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands."

Otherwise, ask your DM about the shield bonus being dropped is probably your best solution then.

It's one of the more clunky things with the system, and there is always an argument about whether you could trade your sword into your shield hand then back again (something you can do if you have one weapon in hand like a greatsword etc.)
>>
>>51134371
It's a homebrew made for something that official content will soon cover. Not even worth looking at desu.
>>
>>51134597
You can't trade your swird into shield hand. You hand is occupy when you use a shield. You can drop your sword (no interaction require) and pick it up with object interqction though.
>>
So I've got a player whose been talking about wanting to play a "Monstrous" character. Apparently he had a DM a while ago who whenever he brought it up, the DM just said "No" and never heard him out. And now I think the player thinks it is just "bad" to want to play a monstrous character.

The party just got TPK'd and are rolling new characters. I want to surprise this player by presenting him with a bunch of options for playing a Monstrous Character. I don't want to go so far and have him play anything like a Beholder, but something like a Hag or Mindflayer or Slaad would be fine and I think he'd love it.

Can you all give me suggestions for which monsters would be cool to offer him to play? Doesn't have to be in the MM or Volo's either. If there's some obscure D&D monster from earlier editions I'd love to hear it. I think he really wants to play a character that feels "unique" in the setting.
>>
>>51134180
I can't wear Heavy Armour and do any Monk Abilities. You lose all the Martial Arts stuff when you wear armour.
>>
How many dragons can a planet the size of earth reasonably sustain? According to the draconomicon, a great wyrm dragon's territory is about a 250 mile radius from its horde. Earth is 71% water too, and most of the water breathing dragons stick close to land anyway. Assuming there's one great wyrm of each color (reasonable?), and working down (a few more wyrms, more adult dragons, lots of hatchlings, etc), how would that balance out?
>>
>>51134937
I dont't know about picking your sword up as an object interaction, personally that would be an action at my table. If there is an errata or section in the PHB please let me know.

My point was there is almost always that argument in the general not actually weighing in on that can of worms.
>>
>>51134941
A Gnoll might be a good option. Subdue the demonic influence, or just keep the urge for violence and channel it through a paladin's oath or a cleric's tenants.
>>
So a player of mine wanted to play a tiefling gnome and I jury rigged it by taking the base of a variant tiefling https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf and adding the subrace of a Rock Gnome? Did I fuck up or do the numbers match up?
>>
>>51135014
Why does it matter? This level of detail in worldbuilding will go unappreciated by anyone who actually interacts with the setting.
>>
>>51135060

THE 90% OF THE ICEBERG THAT'S UNDERWATER IS STILL IMPORTANT FOR THE ICEBERG
>>
>>51135014
Here are some stats from googling "Square Footage of Land on Earth"

The total land surface area of Earth is about 57,308,738 square miles, of which about 33% is desert and about 24% is mountainous. Subtracting this uninhabitable 57% (32,665,981 mi2) from the total land area leaves 24,642,757 square miles or 15.77 billion acres of habitable land.

I suggest you grab a calculator famalam
>>
>>51135073

Let's see, and roughly 500 square miles per great wyrm, with smaller territories for their children.
>>
>>51135092
I got 114617.476
So I would say the planet could sustain atleast 100k Dragons, if you want a nice round number.
>>
>>51135029
It's literally one of the example they listed in "interacting with objects around you" table.
>>
Can we PLEASE make the next thread have the link to the previous thread and the link to arcana?
>>
>>51135046
So
medium or small?
The subrace matching up makes sense as does darkvision, I'd just match size and speed from gnome but otherwise that makes sense.
>>
>>51135166
Oh yeah, we decided on the speed and size of a gnome, forget to mention that.

I'm happy that everything checks out, he was really happy to be able to slap on a tiefling mix to everything, and I'd hate to take that away from him after giving my tentative approval.

He's roleplaying as a different incarnation of a cardinal sin upon each character death. Kinda snowflakey, but he roleplays well and is pleasant towards the party, so I indulge him.
>>
>>51135152

Is that just Great Wyrms though? Presumably the other kinds of dragons need a lot of room too. And maximum capacity Great Wyrms is just PLANET OF THE GREAT WYRMS, it would be all about them. I think the realistic amount where they meld into the background of the world is probably pretty small.
>>
>>51135157
I can't find it in the PHB or DMG do you know the page number ?

Google varies in answers
>>
>>51135255
the only one you might want to be wary of is mountain dwarf for heavy armor proficiency
>>
>>51135465
Page 190, in the blue box.
>>
>>51129156
I found a map that I want to use for an encounter for my group tonight, but I don't know how to overlay grids onto images, can somebody tell me how?
>>
>>51133884
You're right, I think I could add grappling ability to Limbs like Whips, maybe up the climbing ability to be like a tether rather than just a boost to climbing.
>>
>>51134307
>order of the invisible hand is for shooting lightning and fire instead of moving things
>telekinetics is just a couple of stupid abilities followed by being able to cast the Telekinesis spell and a fireball variant
>the cantrip equivalent is Mage Hand as in a literal mage hand that is a visible hand in the air, copy and pasted
This is clearly garbage.
>>
>>51135092
500 square miles? Dragons claim territory out to how far they can fly in a day, which for some (not all) is 320 miles. That means they claim a whole 321,700 square miles as their territory. There's 10 types of dragons, so say 3.2 million miles, of land, out of 57 million on earth, is theirs.

Dragons find their own nest at the Young age catagory. If we say there's 2 Wyrms, 4 Ancient, etc. (breeding age dragons lay 2 to 5 eggs a year, so numbers aren't a problem), we get 1024(!) dragons per color claiming turf, with the youngest still claiming 80,425 square miles each. And we're not including that most campaign settings aren't earth sized, but noticeably smaller

Adventurers might have to hunt young dragons just to keep them from overwhelming the planet.
>>
>>51135531
what an odd place for that to be, point conceded. If you want to cast a spell and still have your sword drop it, cast, and then pick it up
>>51134295
>>
>>51135559
step 1: steal photoshop
step 3: learn how to create grid patterns from this link
http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/24924/how-to-quickly-and-easily-create-a-grid-with-adobe-photoshop
step 3: create a new layer with said pattern (you can omit the white and just use the black lines), configure transparency in layer blending to make it an overlay
step 4: have fun DMing buddy
>>
>>51135613
Thanks friend!
>>
>>51133750
I double-checked and it still has exactly the same number of features as the monk.
>>
Can find steed cast smites if you cast one while riding them? They have a range of self.
>>
>>51135936
I've ruled it as yes, but it's the same one affecting you. Meaning, if your steed hits with a smite after you cast, your follow up attack isn't also a smite. Or vice versa. No two for one deal
>>
Anybody know how to get a hold of the Inkarnate guys? I managed to log myself out and I'm trying to recover my password, but it's been hours and no recovery email has reached me.
>>
Has anybody used the (un)official Zendikar materials?
Were they good? Were they fun?
Are there other resources, like maps and shit anyone has found?
>>
>>51135936
You do realize that no sane DM would allow it?
>>
>>51136140
I'm interested too. The lack of even a world map is what has kept me from using the setting.
>>
File: map.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
>>51136194
>>51136194
Relavent Flavor Text, but even just a "This region is here" thing would be nice.
>>
>>51135564
Glad i could be helpful.
Really makes me want to play a weird ass Monstrous Character.
Whose abilities are inherint in his form and he evolves over time.

Maybe he's some kind of crossbreed of monsters or was cooked up in a wizard's lab and is actually like a Frankenstein type deal.

So he's a frakenstein monster, but he wasn't the first attempt. He's kinda like Grunt from Mass Effect 2, the perfect soldier created in a lab. So he doesn't have the scares from being sewn together and isn't out of proportion or discoloured, this was the final creation, and it looks natural. Something thats kind of like a cross between a Slaad and a Manticore because those are my favorite D&D Monsters.

But instead of being a living weapon edge lord, he's kinda like Bender from Futurama in the episode where they turn him Human and he's amazed at how great everything tastes and feels.
>Holy shit being alive is awesome! Look at all this cool stuff!

Probably gets distracted really easily
>Hey look at this cool thing over here!
>Let's try riding horses!
>Let's see how much we can eat before we throw up
>I bet I can defeat more goblins that you guys!

Probably a little immature. But Good natured. Loves hanging out with the other adventurers
>Sure is nice spending time with you guys. Sure beats being alone.

Maybe throw in some kind of backstory where his soul was aware of itself before it came into this body, so he has memories of just being energy in the ether of time and space. The one who created him was a Warlock of Undying Light maybe? Grabbed some of the essence from the Positive Plane and pushed it into this monster body or something.

I'd probably use Lizardfolk as the base just so other players feel that it is fair.
Natural Armour
Bite Attack
Special HP Drain Bite

Then maybe be a Monk or something and play the Martial Arts and other Monk stuff like he is growing into a mature version of his species and become more naturally powerful.

It would be fuckin sweet.
>>
Would giving a character with Sunlight Sensitivity a magic pair of goggles that let's them see in the sunlight unbalance anything? What about non magic sunglasses?
>>
>>51136382
No it doesn't unbalance anything.
>>
>>51136140
If you can get the Art Book. It's pretty nice and has a shit ton of lore and quest hooks in the description of the world.
>>
>>51135653
So a bit more reasonable but more specialized to getting stuck in rather than dancing about.
>>
>>51136487
Well they don't get stunning strike. That's a pretty major balancing change.
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
Okay, so I'm gonna need you guys' help with this one, even though I'm a little late to the party

In the UA for barbarians path of the zealot, the 14th lvl feature is that when reduced to 0HP while raging, you don't fall unconscious, and don't even stop when you fail all your death saving throws, and only die when you stop raging
But at 15th level, rage ends indefinitely and only ends if you fall unconscious or choose to end it
So are you basically immortal for the rest of the fight, only stopping and dying when it's over?
>>
>>51136564
Yeah, pretty much

Good luck making it to 15 though
>>
Anyone's got a stream of the Acquisitions Incorporated Holiday Special?
>>
>>51136564

What if you just decided to keep fighting things no matter what they were so that combat never ended?
>>
>>51136637
Grab Magic Initiate and pick an owl. Order it to fly 30ft up. Then the next round, order it to dive down, attack you, and then fly back up again. Flyby means it doesn't provoke an OA.
>>
>>51134130

Noob DM here, I've got a monk player who is basically playing an Arena Royale character already. I really like that Signature Move ability and want to give it to him ASAP since his character really lacks the flair he put into character creation. How can I rebalance it to give it out at level 3? Remove the stun? Limit it to once per fight as well as once per day? Or is it okay as-is?

For reference: "Starting at 17th level, you create a signature move that you can use while you have adopted your alternate persona. Give your signature move a name and a description. You can replace one of your unarmed attacks or attacks with a pugilist weapon on your turn with this signature move. When you use your signature move, you jump 15 feet, make an attack roll against a creature in range of your attack and if you hit the attack is a critical and the creature is stunned until the end of its next turn. Unless you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with your Signature Move, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again"
>>
Do you add dex to thieves tools checks?
Do you add other modifiers to other tool checks?
>>
>>51136675

RAGE LICH: POWERED BY OWLS
>>
>>51136527
True, but I feel like giving them them fighting spirit and such is meant to move them more to tank than utility/backline fucker that monk is.
>>
> Start a campaign with 2-3 PCs about exploring the world and discovering things about the PCs
> Few sessions later
> I now have 5 PCs, it's a Spelljammer campaign and now their ship can planeswalk after D6 months of cooldown and a trip basically through the Warp
> The fighter is turning into an Great One via doing trials for a powerful group of Cats of Ulthar mixed in with drugs based on Bloodborne all the while not giving a fuck about Nyarly's attempt at buttfucking him by being /fit/
> The ranger now has Khornate magitech platemail and now wants out so he can be with an adorkable farmgirl turn adventurer
> The rogue is now slowly turning into a Jaime Lannister but a tiefling
> The bard is now starting to worship a Nagash expy
> Paladin is about to find a clockwork buddy that I plan to make him close to then die horrifically

So how is everyone's campaigns going?

I'm currently trying to figure out how to make hedonism bad for my tiefling PC since he thinks fucking children, animals, and toppling any lawful or good society, bonus points if humans run it, is what his CG character would do.

>>51136886
>>51136675
>>51136637
>>51136564

Thanks, I think I found my new boss battle for one of my dungeons.
>>
>>51136857

It's the other way around I think, there's no such thing as a tools check. You either have proficiency which lets you use the tools, or you don't. You add your proficiency bonus to the skill check.

Like you could theoretically pick a lock with a hairpin using a straight Dex check, or you could do it with the Thieves Tools and get your proficiency bonus. But only if you were proficient, otherwise you can't use the thieves tools at all.
>>
>Want to play an alchemist goblin/kobold
>racials are shit for alchemist
such is life
>>
>>51136675
Nice meme, but familiars can't even attack.
>>
File: politican with levels in monk.png (204KB, 326x283px) Image search: [Google]
politican with levels in monk.png
204KB, 326x283px
what feats are good for a bearbarian?

was thinking tough or charger might be pretty good.
>>
>>51137057
If your DM is okay with UA, take Fell Handed.

Fell Handed
You master the handaxe, battleaxe, greataxe, warhammer, and maul. You gain the following benefits when using any of them:

• You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls you make with the weapon.

• Whenever you have advantage on a melee attack roll you make with the weapon and hit, you can knock the target prone if the lower of the two d20 rolls would also hit the target.

• Whenever you have disadvantage on a melee attack roll you make with the weapon, the target takes bludgeoning damage equal to your Strength modifier (minimum of 0) if the attack misses but the higher of the two d20 rolls would have hit.

• If you use the Help action to aid an ally’s melee attack while you’re wielding the weapon, you knock the target’s shield aside momentarily. In addition to the ally gaining advantage on the attack roll, the ally gains a +2 bonus to the roll if the target is using a shield.

Source: Unearthed Arcana - Feats

Basically makes your attacks during Rage let you knock enemies prone. So i think it stacks pretty well. +1 to hit as well.

The other stuff is good too, but i think the Prone thing, works real well with being a Barb.
>>
>>51137031
Oh right.
So buy a pet owl and train it to attack your face.
>>
>>51130278
Use the World Axis, it allows for more variety while simultaneously ditching the unused planes.
>>
>>51136857
Thieves' tools checks are d20+dex+prof

Most other tools are d20+int+prof

Look in the using ability scores section of the phb
>>
>>51134423
No, and Sohei will be the Fighter Psionic Subclass.
>>
>>51136564
>But at 15th level, rage ends indefinitely and only ends if you fall unconscious or choose to end it
It still only lasts a minute.

>>51136925
Isn't that the level where monks get Empty Body? It still seemed a little weird to me, so I'm not sure what the idea is.

>>51136950
Your boss battle can be ended with a Sleep spell. I think it's a nice touch for a spell most people replace though.

>>51137016
Nimble goblin alchemists have a use for their bonus action which helps them navigate with their short range attacks. Kobolds should be Gunsmiths though.
>>
>>51132673
Literally the new Artificer class being playtested in unearthed arcana.
>>
>>51136950
I hope you're not outright scripting the clockwork's death. There should be hints and a way to prevent a death, at least.
>>
File: regstpho.png (28KB, 299x303px) Image search: [Google]
regstpho.png
28KB, 299x303px
>Gunsmith Artificer doesn't even need to use it's intelligence score for any of it's abilities until level 9

there're a few spells that benefit, but that's about it
>>
>>51137303
>Sohei
This 3.5 shit will never see the light of the day again
>>
Our DM just bring up the point that 2 Bard can Dispel or Counterspell everything. One giving the other Bardic Inspiration and Guidance, then the other one use Dispel/CS with bonus from Jack of all trade.

Should we be prepare for a new villians duo...?
>>
>>51137399
Neither does Wizard.
>>
>>51137117
unfortunately only base feats, otherwise I might have nabbed one of those specific great weapon feats. rip. Thanks for trying, though. :)
>>
>>51137417
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/815055851752783872?lang=en
>>
>>51137441
it still affects save DC for first level spells
>>
>>51137057
>>51137117
Misread that. Bearbarian? So a Druid/Barbarian?

Does Martial Adept work? Can you make maneuver's as a bear?
>>
>>51137399
Being able to use dexterity over intellect is one of the things that balances gunsmith out, considering alchemist is pretty damn strong but uses intellect.
>>
>>51137425

My bard is a Magebreaker

Eagle's Splendor Counterspell

Advantage(1d20)+Jack of All Trades + Luck Stone + Max Charisma + Lore Bard ability to inspire Self= Average 28

Alternatively, starting at level 15, you can cast Glibness on yourself, and you can't roll lower than 21
>>
>>51137480
OMO, I dont believe what I'm reading
>>
>Artificer with ring of spell storing
>Wizard casts Dimension Door on the ring
>Artificer Casts Dimension Door on a baseball
>Pitch baseball at enemy
>Teleport 500 feet up

Shenanigans
>>
>>51137480
>people literally posting that they don't know what the mystic is like we didn't already got it
>>
>>51137499
I don't see how it's balanced to have yet another class that can put all it's points into dex, and disregard it's other stats because it has all it needs in terms of offense and defense
>>
>>51137506
Is there anything Lore Bard can't do?
>>
>>51137605
Yeah, that's weird. Looking forward to the full playtest and the Sohei playtest.
>>
>>51137425
Limited by spellslots and amount of reactions, so if your DM has more than 2 casters against you you'll still eat some spells.
>>
>>51137608
Balanced with regards to alchemist.

However, I don't see where you're getting 'all it needs in terms of defense'.
Their AC is essentially the same as a rogue's, their hitdice are essentially the same, too.
They do not get uncanny dodge.
They do, however, get some low level spells which might aid them slightly, such as shield of faith for a bonus action (they need bonus actions to reload their weapon, though) and concentraion.

Their damage is comparable to rogue, but they only get one chance to hit even if they're using their bonus action.

I think the big deal here is the level 6 minion. I'm worried that this might unbalance artificer towards overpowered considering it's an autonomous thing.
>>
>>51137425
Sorcerers can cast subtle counterspell, which cannot be counterspelled.
>>
>>51137494
oh, no sorry thats my bad, a typo

Although I AM a bearkin
>>
>>51137614

I was going to say STR checks, but I just remembered Jack of All Trades, Cutting Words and Inspiration also applies to Bigby's Hand
>>
>>51137614
They can't be a paladin.

Unless you go lore bard 6 / paladin 14 for charisma shillelagh.
>>
>>51137772

But you can Cutting Words his counterspell, and cause the sorcerer to fail the check
>>
>>51137754
I guess it's not really imbalanced, just annoying that we finally got another Int based class, but it it has a subclass that barely uses that ability

And I agree with you on the minion, it should have been fleshed out into it's own subclass instead of being a class feature
>>
>>51137754
>they need bonus actions to reload
No they don't
>>
>>51137863
Well, that's true.

Then use a shadow sorcerer cloaking themself in darkness. You can't counterspell them then, even if they're not using counterspell, and you can't even use cutting words on them.
>>
>>51137900
>You are proficient with the Thunder Cannon.
The firearm is a two-handed ranged weapon that
deals 2d6 piercing damage. Its normal range is
150 feet, and its maximum range if 500 feet.
Once fired, it must be reloaded as a bonus action.
>>
>>51137902

Dafuq is a shadow sorcerer?
>>
Has anyone here ever used any of these?
>>
>>51137895
I don't know, I kind of want it to be a core feature for use with thundercannon or something, but then it's also ...

They should turn it into something of a non-combat servant/mount and add an additional thing that the player can choose a special feature for their CR 2 beast from a list, say, 'laser beam eyes' that you can activate as an action or something. It wouldn't be on its own initiative.

However, gunsmiths would probably want their int to be their third or second best stat, and alchemists are likely to be more popular with their range of abilities.
>>
>>51137820
How would cutting word apply here? When your opponent use STR check against you?
>>
>>51137948
An overpowered piece of shit that's only okay considering sorcerer isn't very powerful in the first place, and actually is broken if you use it for a single level dip.

>I CANNOT DIE the level 1 feature
>disadvantage hound: heightened spell+++
>shadow monk: The teleport, except double the range because lol fuck you monk
>super edgy mode form: It's like barbarian rage, but better.
>>
>>51137960
I'm gonna be a gnome with a cannon riding a mechanical dinosaur. Also, you best believe I'm taking jump for them dino leaps.

This shit is gonna be awesome.

Still, I think you're probably right about alchemist being more popular.
>>
>>51137953

My DM has gone way overboard with Alchemis supply proficency, and allows 30 retarded Homebrew potions for his Favorite to be crafted every long rest

I've used mine with my transmutation wizard to make Prestidigitation more useful. Create the scent of Worg pheromones to attract them away from a spot, or the smell of smelling salts, or the taste epicaque (I don't know how to spell it, the thing that makes you vomit violently)

Alternatively, I've used Fabricate and Knowledge of Ages to make just about any non magical item I want. Full plates, Wagons, Carriages, Houses, Forgeries, Furnitures, Disguises, you name it
>>
>>51137953
My group uses them but it's mostly for roleplay purposes or downtime activities.

Rogue might be off learning to brew poisons. The dwarf might be off making beer in a tavern to earn some cash.
Stuff like that.
>>
>>51137971

to grapple a crature with bigby's hand, you make a contested check

You can use Cutting Words on your enemies check.

>>51137992
Ah. Is this like an UA stuff?
>>
>>51138042
Yeah. You see, it still works if you turn them into a mount that doesn't attack.

Though, you could make it a choice:

>You get a tough large mount but they can't attack
>You get a loli-sized combat robot that can fight with you but isn't exactly the strongest, so you'll be repairing them a lot
>You get a servant robot that has more utility features than anything, sort of like an oversized buffed familiar.

>>51138079
It is. Oh, and, I forgot, it has an additional level 2 feature (because fuck progression, it's a level 1 feature that's only useful at level 2) that allows you to cast darkness for 1 sorcerery point (You can melt even a level 1 slot into a single sorcerery point) and see through your own darkness.

At least, I think it was a sorcerery point.
>>
>Come up with an idea for a nice race/class combo
>Can't play it because it wont get 16
what's wrong with me?
>>
Now I am interest in Lore Bard. What spell should I steal at level 6 and 10?

Counterspell? Lightning Arrow? Swift Quiver? Bigby Hand?
>>
>>51137902
Cutting Words has a 60 foot range, so you can distant counterspell too.
>>
>>51137960
A "beast master" artificer might work if the servant feature came a bit earlier, but only for a cr 1/2 creature or something, with the subclass expanding upon that

main difference between gunsmith and alchemist from what i can see is that gs has raw damage with some combat utility later on, whereas alchemist has less damage, combat utility from the get-go with some nifty healing capabilities
>>
So... continue from last thread...

A Lucky Diviner wizard villian who has horde of simulacrums of himself, trying to control all fate of the world.

How would you defeat him?
>>
>>51138133

Level 6, your choice, between Counterspell, Haste, Aura of Vitality. Conjure Animals is pretty good to, since you can cast it as a level 7 later, and get a Swarm of Cranium Rats

Level 10: Bigby's Hand, Wall of Force, Circle of Power, Destructive Wave. Your call.

Wall of Stone gets honorable mention in case Stronghold Building features as big a role in your game as it does in mine
>>
>>51138244
Hmm wall of stone with fabricate might be a good combo for stronghold building...

Too bad I can't have everything
>>
>>51138227

Band of Magebreaker bards, Cutting Words portent, Dispel Magicking Simulacrum

Band Name: Vicious Mockery
>>
>>51138271

Unless you play Wizard

My DM allowed me to retrain Haste for Fabricate at level 10, but that's against the rules, technically.
>>
>>51138279
You can't cutting word a crtical hit. Dispel get portent.
>>
>>51138308

Also, Awaken comes in handy for Stronghold building too.

In fact, I have a whole spellbook in my App for Stronghold spells. Artificer gets a whole bunch, but preposterously late in his progression for the use they give you
>>
>>51138157
Oh, that's an idea.

>>51138225
Oh, right.

You could have an archetype that says 'You get the level 6 feature at level 1, and it works like this'
After nerfing the level 6 feature, of course.

>>51138227
20 level 5 wizards casting fireball from behind a one-way-viewing-screen.
Can't be counterspelled. Even if they autosucceed all saves, they all get blown to oblivion.
>>
>>51138111
Yeah, the way I expect to use it is more so as a way to keep people away from me as a ranged character.
>jump far away
>shoot
Someone comes up to attack, we bite their shit.

I wouldn't be opposed to your idea of picking a "type" of mechanical companion though.

To be honest I kind of expected there to be a tiny sized creature instead of a big one. But I guess bigger is easier to construct and not have it break into pieces.
>>
>>51138330

reckon you can't, but there's a reason you don't get a great many deal of those around.

Throw a Diviner Wizard of your own, and you get to Portent that Portent
>>
>>51138367
>from behind a one-way-viewing-screen

It counts as total cover. The fireballs would blow up on their faces
>>
>>51138377
Bigger allows you to use bigger, clunkier parts. That's how I look at it anyway - most technology starts big and gets smaller as people improve on it.
>>
>>51138403
Right, that's what I reasoned as well.
Still, from a balance perspective CR 2 is quite powerful.

Robo-rhino also seems like a fun choice.
>>
>>51138402
Not if it's not solid.

It's more of a concept than a thing.

For example, if you can -

Actually, screw that, why would we even need darkness and devil's sight? You don't even NEED to see the target, it's fireball.

Just cast fog cloud on them before you attack.
>>
>>51138367
He foresaw that, Portent his and simulacrum army initiative roll.

Now there are an army of Shapechange, Fire immune Ancient Dragons with portent teleporting behind you.
>>
>>51138435
A rhino can jump 8 feet high without the jump spell. That's 1 foot higher than an allosaurus.

With the jump spell applied the rhino still jumps higher. But not as far horizontally.

interesting
>>
>>51138464
Then they all cast lightning bolt instead. Even if they're ancient dragons now, 20 wizards can put out a fuckton of damage even if the damage is halved.

Not to mention, if you manage to ambush them, they can't do shit like that. They can't portent your stealth rolls.
>>
>>51138459
I believe you still need to be able to see the point at which you cast something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>51138506
> He think he can hide from an army of level 20 Divination specialist Wizard
cute
>>
>>51138516
Well, I think that might be true for some area effect spells but I can't see it mentioned in the fireball's description. Not sure if there's a general rule on it, but I think the only text is

'To target something, you must have a clear path to it,
so it can't be behind total cover.
lf you place an area of effect at a point that you can't
see and an obstruction. such as a wall, is between you
and that point, the point of origin comes into being on
the near side of that obstruction.'

.. Yeah, by that it sounds like it's intended you can fire it at places you can't see.
>>
>>51138611
>You think you can beat 20 level 5 wizards
Don't underestimate level 5s.

If they don't stick together, they'll get picked off.
If they stick together, they can be ambushed together and blown to pieces together.
>>
File: Dirty Crafting.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dirty Crafting.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51129838
I like you. Have this gift. Someone else posted it on here once and I got my group to start using it.
>>
Wait, how can you make more than 1 (or maybe 2 with twinned spell) simulacrum, when it says casting the spell again destroys any previous ones?

And imagine the cost upkeep. 100gp per point of HP damage taken - simply fireballing one will put the wizard either in debt or having to put up with all their expensive 1500gp clones having reduced HP for all timt.

With true polymorph shenanigans, you could turn it into something else with more HP it sounds like, if a creature's statistics includes its level. However, I imagine that doesn't erase its identity and thus it's likely to still die if you try to make another. Though, after true polymorphing, it won't be able to use divinity wizard features it looks like.
>>
Any good one on one adventures in pdf?
>>
>>51138804
Use wish to create a simulacrum, simulacrum creates a new simulacrum, repeat until out of money/can't split the hp any more.
>>
>>51138931
I suppose.

But if you can get that past the DM, somebody could just as easily make a nuclear druid and nuke the fuck out of the wizard's simulacrum team.
>>
>>51138982
Huh, turns out shield doesn't even require you to see that you've been hit.

That's an odd thing.

I'm not sure there's any proper way to prevent shield for a nuclear druid war, so they might actually lose out on that.

What I don't get is why sage advice says each new simulacrum has half as much HP - wouldn't they have half the HP of the original caster if you copy the original caster?
>>
>>51138227
Diviner's portent expires at the end of the day. Simulacrums cannot learn, so they can't get new portents. So if the question is how would I defeat DM fiat, then I don't know.
>>
>>51139210
What is DM fiat?
>>
>>51139210
That's a good one.

Also, you could say that they're not really a 'mortal being' and rather a construct that can feel things, so they don't qualify for casting wish because somehow wish says it's something a mortal can cast.

If they can't learn, doesn't that mean they can't learn the new positions of enemies as they move around in combat? Wouldn't the simulacrum basically think they're frozen in time with nobody moving beyond the moment they were created?
>>
>>51139473
Depends on how strict you interpret their cannot learn thing. They explicitly can't gain XP or regain spell slots because of it though. The strictest interpretation is that simulacrums are puppets you control with your voice. They don't have their own mind. That would explain why they don't roll initiative or learn, but wouldn't explain why they're friendly and can take actions like a creature. It's a DM call, but it's how Pokemon work, right? In the TV show.

>>51139292
DM fiat means just making shit up. Looking up fiat, I'd use the "an arbitrary order" definition.
>>
>>51137628
No one's going to link the new thread?
>>
>>51138071
>downtime activities
When exactly do downtime activities happen in terms of the game, not the adventure.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.