[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra TTG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: avatar world map.jpg (394KB, 1000x710px)
394KB, 1000x710px
Hey everybody, longtime lurker here and first time poster. I love tabletop gaming and I love the Avatar universe and have always wanted to see this world adapted for tabletop roleplaying.

Over the years I have seen a variety of adaptations, mostly D&D or other D20 variants, some GURPS or FATE systems as well.

But lately I've been working on adapting the Fantasy Flights rules for Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (et al) for the Avatar universe.

I really like the dice pool system as well as the Success/Fail outcomes as opposed to D&D's numbers-based gaming. I also really think that the system will work well due to the fact that it was specifically designed by FF to adapt a fast-paced, cinematic universe to a tabletop setting. For the Avatar atmosphere, with its scenic and cinematic battles and hi-jinks, I think this is a good jumping-off point.

I've never really done this before though, so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
>>
>>51127356
Have you ever looked at Legend of the Elements, it's another RPG based on Avatar? I've been running a campaign of it and it works pretty well
>>
>>51127424
I have not even heard of it! Do you have any links or resources I could take a look at?
>>
>>51127517
sadly my memory stick containing my rpg pdfs was recently crushed

their website does contain handouts and character sheets though
http://www.logbook-project.com/lote/
>>
>>51127424
>Legend of the Elements

I've looked up the system. I wouldn't mind a brief rundown of how the play style works in comparison to other games. Is it heavily diced-based? Is it entirely roleplay driven?
>>
When working on an adaptation, it's always important to really nail down your design goals. Just leaving it ephemeral, 'a game like Avatar', means different people might have different ideas of what that means. Concisely and clearly state what your vision of it means.

Focus the mechanics on what matters to the system. So many systems have rules for things that don't matter or have things which do matter be apparently equal to things that don't, and this is especially common if you're trying to adapt something, as one legacy mechanic or another ends up as a worthless appendix on the rest of the system. Cut away the fat and focus on the bits of the system that you care about.

As for other systems to reference, I've always thought I'd use Legends of the Wulin for running Avatar type stuff. It's a crunchy system and the core book is unfortunately awfully edited, making getting into it a real bitch, but it also has the best rules for over the top action combat of any game I've ever played.
>>
>>51127576
well it's a PbtA system so if you've played anything else in that engine you should have a rough idea how it runs

in combat, other than the bending abilities, the main actions which get used are Commit Open Violence (which is basically any time you're trying to hurt someone) and Move With Intention (which triggers whenever you try and gain a stronger position than the one you have). Move With Intention's presence means that characters are generally encouraged to be mobile and active during fights since it gets you bonuses. The system also uses environment tags which can be added by various abilities and can be taken advantage of meaning that the terrain will usually wind up playing a role in the fight.
>>
>>51127604
This is great advice which I've actually tried to follow to the best of my ability.

My number one priority in adapting the FF rules is nailing down the fast-paced martial arts-based bending combat and the overall fluidity of impromptu bending techniques.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.