[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

neckbeards ruined lovecraft for me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 33

I am a big Lovecraft fan, and his mythos is amazing
However, neckbeards and Gamergirls have pretty much ruined it for me
Rather then dark twisted stories of his unvierse, the only thing now that come to mind is "LOLOOLOLOLZ CHTULULU LOLOLOL I ROLLED 1 I DIEZ LOLOLOL"

AND OMGZF STEAM PUNK CTHULU SO CREATIVE SO FUCKIGN COOL LOVECRAFT STEAMPUNK SO COOL AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>51124866
necronomicon was gifted to me and i set it aside a long time bc i usually dont read horror bc its boring and not scary most of the time
but man
i shouldnt have read this book before going to sleep
by book i mean a story or two
>>
>>51124866
The Colour Out of Space is my favourite Lovecraft story desu senpai.
>>
inb4 everyone starts defending steampunk retards and RPG drones out of contrarianism
>>
>>51124866
Honestly, there are some great ideas and general mood in Lovecraft-stories, which is exactly why they've become the cultural trope that they are.
That being said, his prose is just... Not good, and the stories are usually boring.
I have the book pictured in the OP, and I've only ever gotten half-way.
I'd say you get far better gothic horror with Edgar Allan Poe.
>>
>>51124888
Does it make me a pleb if I adore A Shadow Over Innsmouth more than any of the others?

I did like TCOoS though, and the Outsider is god tier.
>>
>>51124866
not sure i can follow. it's still great for me.
>>
>>51125015
It's a great story anon. There's a reason it managed to have alot of things try to ride it's coat tales. Personally love how he describes the protagonist's escape of motel and avoiding mobs of men.
>>
>>51124866
It's like alot of things anon. Star wars has been hyped to same regard were people see them as flawkess masterpieces so much that the new movies try to follow the formula so much. The prequels had good ideas but how ever it's execution was done poorly so now people don't want the series to do unique things anymore.
>tfw no one will be able to experience the original movies without knowing the twist like the original audience that saw the movie.
>>
>>51124866
Cosmic Horror was going down that path basically as soon as Lovecraft died. Derleth ripped any atmosphere out of his stories and brought us into the "Oops you looked at the squid ur crazy now XD" present.
>>
>>51124866
So basically

normies get out reeee
>>
>>51125294
I think he would be fine with it if they actually understood lovecraft's stories and have read them/more then just call of cthulhu.
>>
>>51125345
The feeling of dread of acknowledging how insignificant your existence really is? And that you're so small that you can't comprehend the expansive unknown without going mad?
>>
>>51125390
Yeah that's the good shit.
>>
>>51125294
>Every thread on /tg/
>>
Nice blog, OP.
Also why do you care?
>>
>>51124866
There are better eldritch horror stories, though.

The problem of the Lovecraftian stories is that they are usually about incomprehensible horrors. Like, "these ancient ruins have four-dimensional architecture so I'm going crazy just by looking at it" kind of incomprehensible.
Horror stories should be simple. There's no need for the "fly from the outer space" plot that Lovecraft used. The most relatable horror comes from very simple (yet strange) things, like "a monster under your bed" plot that just works when executed properly.
If you want a /tg/ example, then it isn't Call of Cthulhu that is scary. It is Delta Green and Unknown Armies that are scary.
>>
>>51125390
So basically what is learned at school usually between ages 10 an 14.
>>
>>51124888

I like the dream-quest to unknown kadath more to be frank.
>>
>>51125597
Oh man those stories were really cool.
>>
>>51124888
Hipster opinion: The Strange High House in the Mist is my personal favourite.
>>
>>51124866
Arguably one of the key parts of the horror has been absorbed into modern thinking. We know that we are small and insignificant in the universe, but to someone of his era this would have been more novel and horrifying. Granted, the fact that the universe just doesn't give any shits about our entire solar system does offer some small comfort if you make an awkward joke.
>>
File: 1483546119253.jpg (25KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
1483546119253.jpg
25KB, 500x350px
>I have a hardcopy of The Complete Lovecraft
>read it occasionally
>one day, while I'm reading it on the bus this girl comes up to me
>7/10 cutie, blue eyes, dark hair, kind of chubby, covered in trendy buttons and "nerdy" clothes
>"Oh my gawd! You like lovecraft?! Don't you just love *insert ten minutes of nonsensical rambling*"
>she's still talking, and I'm just staring into the vacant flapping meat hole in her face
>every other sentence is peppered with the hippest nerd slang she can come up with
>people around me are visibly gawking as I'm staring slack-jawed into yawning abyss
>after an eternity, tell her it's my stop and I have to go
>she's still talking, gets off at the same stop as me
>I go to a local pizza place to grab some lunch
>she understood this as a formal date and awkwardly followed me to my table, sat across from me
>I'm eating in silence as she can barely make time to breath
>I come to the realization that this experience will never end unless I do something drastic
>ask her for her phone number
>she immediately spills spaghetti everywhere, tells me this insanely convoluted story about every single relationship she's ever had
>after what felt like an eternity, finally get her phone number, and she immediately leaves
>praise all variety of old gods for ending this torment
>go home, put my lovecraft book on a shelf, never read it outside again
>text this girl back one day when I'm piss drunk, got to see some boobies, but it was absolutely not worth listening to her again
>>
>>51124866
i hear that neckbeards and gamergirls are really into breathing oxygen. maybe you should lose interest in that.
>>
>>51126336
Those people aren't intolerable, but they're exhausting and always make me want to be a better, more concise person.
>>
File: 1482052057650.jpg (155KB, 362x447px) Image search: [Google]
1482052057650.jpg
155KB, 362x447px
>>51126336
Overall I think you did the right thing rather than telling her to fuck off. Some people need to talk shit to randoms some time and you probably gave her a confidence boost by feigning interest in her.
>>
>>51125573
Unknown armies is, to some extent, the opposite of Lovecraft. If Lovecraft is "nothing we do matters," UA is EVERYTHING we do matters.

Both that and DG are tits tho.
>>
File: hayashida.jpg (109KB, 1230x690px) Image search: [Google]
hayashida.jpg
109KB, 1230x690px
>>51126892
But he was clearly annoyed by it. While I can agree on where you're coming from, it's still not right for some people to act this way.
And what if feigning interest, hell in this case to the point of romantic interest, only goes to fuel such efforts in people?
Isn't that a little irresponsible? You don't have to be rude, but it isn't wrong to tell people when they're acting infavorably for themselves.
>>
File: 1468719000116.png (449KB, 1239x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1468719000116.png
449KB, 1239x1239px
>>51124888
The Rats in the Walls it patrician taste
>>
>>51126990
>>51126892
OP reporting in:

Yes, it is absolutely irresponsible to feign romantic interest in these people, because it validates their insanity. That being said, you should at least be nice to them because they don't understand how overbearing they're being. If you tell someone like that to their face that they're being socially awkward, they're going to be emotionally devastated, cry about it online, then receive the unwarranted praise that only a very specific combination of cleavage, emotional instability, and autism can provide.

On the other hand, I have a weak spot for cute thick girls with blue eyes and long dark hair. If someone is physically compatible with you, and romantically interested in you, there's nothing wrong with asking for their number, or even drunken texting them for a booty call. I'm significantly older now than I was, so I know better, and would steer clear of those people in the future, but at 20? Go for it. That might even break the tension and help them lead a normal life.

I used to be the exact same type of sperg, and because I'm not extremely awful to look at, tons of girls would pretend to be interested in my hobbies just to bang me. But, if I never experienced shitty relationships, I wouldn't appreciate that my current girlfriend has an insane collection of late 80's horror movies, or can play Dark Souls 1 as good as anyone I've ever met, while not being an unbearable chatterbox.
>>
>>51127160
Yes it is.
>>
File: crom2.png (222KB, 699x487px) Image search: [Google]
crom2.png
222KB, 699x487px
>>51127167
Huh. So in the end we can elaborate on this matter endlessly, though we'll never know if any harm was done when on the other hand none seemingly was.

And isn't that the point in general? Things are always as they'll seem and we are to make the best of it (just as OP did) instead of postulating on the internet about it.
>>
Negro eggs, amirite guise?
>>
>>51127160
Why does lovecraft always look so angry?
>>
>>51127429
Because of all the niggers and he just found out that inhuman Welsh blood flows through his veins and he will never feel clean again.
>>
>>51127449

I wouldn't want to be part sheep either to be honest.
>>
>>51124866
I don't know why everybody's shitting this thread up with feeble defenses like >>51124891 predicted, but anyway, that's faggotry and you're right, OP.

What really ruined it for me was all the HURR CUTE PLUSH CTHULHU, LOOK AT MY FUCKING HASTUR-PRINT JEGGINGS dogshit. Even goth bitches who cut themselves apparently have an insuperable urge to cutify and commercialize everything including their own angst and thus ruin it, I guess that's why The Night Before Christmas ever pushed even one single piece of merchandise.
>>
>>51126336
>she's still talking, and I'm just staring into the vacant flapping meat hole in her face
So in other words she really manifested the horror stylings of Lovecraft for you.
>>
I've never read a Lovecraft story because they all seem boring as shit, but people can't get enough of my Call of Cthulhu games.

I like to throw steampunk elements into the mix. Players like that.
>>
>>51127664

HPL was pretty keen on making fun of his own shit though. He had a fake "eldritich correspondance" with Ashton Smith about a statuette the latter gave to him, pretending it was an evil artefact giving him nightmares.

I like to think he has a good laugh at Nyaruko and plush Cthulhu in his kingdom in Ilek-vad right now. Though he'd like people to get what he actually meant to wrote a little more, I guess.

unlike JRRT, who was nofunallowed personified
>>
>buy myself the complete antology of HPL for my birthday when I'm 14
>bring a couple of books on summer vacation with me
>spend a couple of weeks in this remote small town in the italian alps
>my house is the last one on the road that brings you to the top of the mountain
>overlooks the whole town and from it you can see the whole valley and the mountain in front
>read the books for a week straight because the weather was cold and rainy that summer

Man being far away from technology and isolated in a suggestive atmosphere really ingrained those stories in my mind.

Too bad I was a fat nerd and didn't get to fuck the qt blondie that lived in the next appartment.
>>
>>51127881
>fat nerd
>Italian
This must be suffering, I've literally never seen a fat Italian under the age of 40. Maybe 50 actually.
>>
>>51127943
The number is growing thanks to Mcdonald.

But yeah it was pretty bad, I didn't even have any /tg/ friends back then,
or at all for that matter.
>>
>>51127989
>McDonalds is even able to fat up the nation that invented Nutella and pizza and still didn't turn into a band of hambeasts
I don't even know what to say about that, except maybe "fucking hell, Anglos suck".
>>
>>51128122
It's the kids and teens mostly, the problem is not really Mcdonald itself but the fact that americans have been exporting their filthy lifestyle all around the world for at least 20 years now.
>>
>>51124866
> I'm a huge fan
> but I'm also a hipster and can't like it if other people I don't like do.
No, you aren't and weren't.
>>
Oh, look, how surprising:

-A bunch of obsessive fans who worry too much about the content ruin a work for others.

-A bunch of normies who don't get the central appeal of the content ruin a work for others.

Sometimes I feel like people discussing things they like should be bad because it leads to the worsening of a work.
>>
>>51124866
DUDE TENTACLES LMAO
DUDE "ELDRITCH" EVERYTHING LMAO
YOG-SOTHOTH? NYARLATHOTEP? AZATHOTH? DREAMLANDS? WHO'S THAT?
#CTHULHUFORPRESIDENT2016
>>
>>51127429
He's faking it. He's usually containing his laughter
>>
>>51125260
no stare at squid
>>
>>51128733
10/thread
>>
File: bill cosby (warlock) banished.gif (1010KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bill cosby (warlock) banished.gif
1010KB, 500x375px
>>51124888
At the Mountains of Madness may or may not have convinced me to major in geology. Still my favorite.
>>
>>51124866
Don't you know neckbeards ruin pretty much everything?
>>
>>51124888
TCooS is my favorite too.

>>51125015
A Shadow Over Innsmouth is a classic for a reason, anon.

>>51125583
You've got to realize that at the time this was written, society was kind of just coming to terms with this stuff- how truly insignificant humanity was on a cosmic scale, how there are things both on earth and out there in space that could eradicate our species in moments at any moment, whether it be some dormant supervolcano or an asteroid or a gamma ray burst from the depths of space.

>>51128990
Fuck man, that's another great one. Same with the dream-quest to unknown kadath.

>>51124866
Dude, just don't care what those people do or say. Your own experiences and opinions, and those of the people that matter to you, are the only ones that you should consider worthwhile. Everyone else doesn't really matter. Lovecraft has some absolutely amazing material, don't let a bunch of fake 'nerds' ruin it for you.
>>
>>51125573
>i have never read a lovecraft book

Fuck off.
>>
>>51127881
I love experiences like that. I had a similar one with the novel 'It' by Stephen King.
>inb4 people argue about the merits of that story or of King's works in general
Was staying at a cabin on a lake with family as a kid of about 11, got the book at a little used book store in town to read during the stay, but it absolutely poured rain one day and I wound up sitting at a window looking out over the lake and reading almost the whole thing in one sitting. I've read it probably three more times through since then, and it remains one of my favorite horror stories of all time.
>>
>>51129616
And we came to terms with the super volcanoes and gamma rays and we didn't roll for san loss. Instead we buy tickets to watch nuclear tests and sip champagne.
>>
File: IMG_2798.png (83KB, 267x164px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2798.png
83KB, 267x164px
>>51128881
>play Delta Green with a bunch of normies
>they all talk exactly like this
>>
>>51125597
Dream Cycle the best.

>>51125953
And what is going on in that. I read it before bed a few months ago and am confused. What the hell is the deal the house accessing the dreamland? What was the scary thing that made him leave the house? Was it just the lovecraftian general unknowable horror?
>>
>>51129714
Yeah, eventually we did. In most of Lovecraft's works, though, the whole 'looking at (thing) causes insanity' thing never happens. That's something that Derleth and others added in. A few people sort of become a bit unhinged over periods of time, but it takes a while and a lot of pretty extreme mental stress. Doesn't help that sometimes the things characters come upon are literally physically incomprehensible to them, like the four-dimensional noneuclidiean ruins in At the Mountains of Madness.

Tl;dr san loss isn't really a Lovecraft thing
>>
>>51126336
Why? You could always catch a better one in the future. And worst case scenario a 7/10 who likes love craft ain't bad.
>>
>>51129761

How about saying "well guys, you need to have read the man, if not we're gonna play something else"?

It doesn't seem too hard, if your really want this shit to be faithful. Which basically means no Delta Green, but that's another story altogether.

It's like I present to people The One Ring: "you dont' really need to know the fine print of the elven clans*, but you probably need to feel pretty excited and even honoured to encounter Bilbo".

*= the fact the JRRT didn't really make up his mind doesn't help anyway.
>>
>>51129714
>And we came to terms with the super volcanoes and gamma rays and we didn't roll for san loss.
You are retarded.

The moment scientists are 100% sure that next week the Siberian Volcanic Traps explode and will keep exploding for the next 1 million years or a gamma ray burst will exterminate all land-based life by intense cancer rays, society will go absolute batshit insane.

There is a difference between knowing how fucking insane and dangerous life really is, and having it play out right in front of you.
>>
>>51124866

Warcraft did it better
>>
>>51129714
Nukes are firework crackers against super vulcanos tho.
>>
>>51131392
Why can one of them double kill you?
>>
File: confused.png (74KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
74KB, 300x256px
>>51131454
What.
>>
>>51124888
Is it wrong for me to say The Picture in The House is my fave. I love the more eldritch-y stuff, but something as simple as a cannibal in a creepy house really gets me. Probably because I live in the Country and there are a fuckton of old abandoned houses here
>>
>>51129761
Is that crop from Blacksad?
>>
>>51132303
Lackadaisy, mate.
>>
>>51129825

Derleth and Smith are the true ruiners of Lovecraft's work.
>>
>>51124866
lovecraft having /pol/s mindset ruined lovecraft for me
>>
File: condescendingconscripts.jpg (249KB, 700x778px) Image search: [Google]
condescendingconscripts.jpg
249KB, 700x778px
>>51124866
Oh shut the fuck up.
People are retarded, this is an established fact. Just because retards act retarded about something you like, doesn't mean that it is retarded by association.
>>
What bothers me a lot about people whose perception of Lovecraft has been shaped through the odd short story and primarily pop culture is their tendency to believe that the beings encountered in his stories are impossible to fight, and that it's somehow "the point". Sure, beings like Azathoth can't really be fought by humanity and ultimately we're irrelevant specs of shit, but he's not really an issue as such. Cthulhu's not the true big bad either; he's "just" a cosmic cardinal of the true outer gods. Same goes for Dagon and his fishboys; the latter got fucked up good in one of the navy's attempts to exterminate them by god damn depth charges.
>>
File: R'yleh cringy.jpg (40KB, 220x252px) Image search: [Google]
R'yleh cringy.jpg
40KB, 220x252px
>>51127856
The problem doesn't lie with making fun of Lovecraft, I think that's fine (though I am not the anon you replied to) It's that social groups like "goths" "gamers" and "nerds" dilute the things that they enjoy by commercializing them.

I love Doctor Who, but every time i see a Tardis dress I cringe.

Nightmare before Christmas is (alright) but if you wear clothing that is branded with anything Tim Burton you're signalling to the world that you're a basic.

Memes die when the real world discovers them, and the list goes on.

Lovecraft is great, but people oversaturating culture with depictions of cthulhu changes our perception of a man who should be an irrefutable titan of the horror genre.
>>
Post your favourite fish dudes.

>I think I went mad then.
>>
>>51129834
But anon, if you date someone you actually have to care about their opinions. Yes, you can lease that nonsense, but if you're talking to a vapid trendy idiot, and they realize you aren't interested in their every syllable, eventually the sheer volume of unadulterated insanity will consume you. The saying goes, never stick your dick in crazy, and that advice rings doubly true for someone who won't shut up about their hobbies, or their past relationships.
>>
Wow, idiots misunderstand thing, I must hate thing now.

Stop being weak.
>>
>>51130018
If you think Delta Green isn't faithful because you can shoot and kill the baddies, you're dead wrong. There were plenty of times where Mythos creatures were killed by conventional weaponry, only gods and certain other creatures in the lore are really unkillable.
>>
>>51133150

Every "universal" author goes through this. Isn't Melville mostly known for whales's dicks and Ahab grumpyness?
>>
>>51133965

I actually loathe COC in every form, to the point that I think Chtuhlhutech in its "reimagining" is better, because COC is unfaithful, unfunny and it actually taints HPL's perception for many people, something which dank memes will not do. People will not associate HPL with romcoms through Nyaruko, but they will associate it with investigators and "sanity rolls" through COC, and that's like associating romantic "feelgood" love stories with vampires through motherfucking Twilight.
The fact that Delta Green it is one step further from what HPL is about... I'm not sure it makes it a little worse or a little better, but basically it's unimportant.

Praise Hastur, at least now we have Lovecraftesque after thirty years of bullshit from Chaosium AND other games with genuine love for the man that still just don't get it. And reading some pulp stories it's not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>51134456
>The fact that Delta Green it is one step further from what HPL is about.
I'd argue that outside of the sanity check stuff, DG is pretty true to Lovecraft. That ultimately what they're doing doesn't matter and it's best if no one knows what is really going on.
>>
>>51124888
I liked the one about the violinist. It's fun trying to imagine what his music was like.
>>
>>51130018
>"well guys, you need to have read the man, if not we're gonna play something else"
In my experience if that's how I handled things I would never get a chance to run anything besides generic fantasy setting D&D. 99% of players I've encountered hate getting homework from their GMs.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170110-193707.png (527KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170110-193707.png
527KB, 1200x1920px
>>51134148
He got off lucky then, he should rightfully be known for horrendous wordplay.
>>
>>51129714
And yet there are still people out there who lose their shit at the idea of evolution, and even people who have regressed into flat-earthery and other shitty beliefs because the modern world and not being God's special little project is too much for them to handle
>>
>>51125953
>>51129777
I am fairly certain it was ghost written. The fuckin Poseidon lookin dude just really took me out of the moment..
>>
>>51135400

Anon, I don't want to sound like the COC hater that I admit I am, but... no.

HPL doesn't really put the inevitability up as people think he did. Or to be more precise: apparently we can't do shit if the stars are right and Cthulhu wakes up right now, but even if that's supposed to be forever (I don't think the latter, more "sci-fi" HPL would be that sure about that) that's totally not true for many threats.
Deep Ones? Call the g-men. Redneck sorcerers? Who you're gonna call, Arkham academics, of course.
Shit does happen in HPL world, but the absolute powerlessness is a myth. We ARE ants, but we might not built our ant nests at the side of the road, so to speak.

But that wasn't the point. The structure of the story is radically different from not only action movies, but detective stories as well. The party thing is pretty much antithetical to HPL in which everything is seen only from the eyes of a single protagonist (most interestingly, even when there COULD be a party: Rats in the Wall, Mountains of Madness) and his ramblings. It's not about conflicts with external forces, it's about the lure of these things - in anything the conflict is internal, between the disgust/unacceaptance of truth and the awe that come from the same source.
Notice that basically none is hurt in HPL stories, aside from the very end and "NPCS"?

HPL is not a mistery nor an action flick, is a helluva trip.
>>
>>51129825
I thought the ruins in Mountains of Madness were not really all that bad. Some of them escaped from there and they managed to somehow find a wall fresco with the entire history of the species compressed for them on the way down.
>>
>>51135809
>But that wasn't the point. The structure of the story is radically different from not only action movies, but detective stories as well. The party thing is pretty much antithetical to HPL in which everything is seen only from the eyes of a single protagonist (most interestingly, even when there COULD be a party: Rats in the Wall, Mountains of Madness
The Redneck sorcery thing did actually have a party go up against them.
>>
>>51135682

Search better players.

>>51135760

Do you even Dunsany Anon?
>>
>>51135851

Read the whole sentence, anon.
>>
>>51135851
>>51135911
True, but I still feel that when fighting the redneck gigabeast they all put their heads together and worked as a team.
>>
File: 1483468539134.jpg (16KB, 478x346px) Image search: [Google]
1483468539134.jpg
16KB, 478x346px
>>51135687
>>
>>51124888
I prefer the strange case of charles dexter ward
>>
>>51135705
THIS
>>
>>51135958

I think it was just professor Armitage's expertise . That being said, what I was trying to say is that when there is a "party", you have different personalities in which you're interested to get into their heads. And this doesn't happen in HPL, which is interesting if you consider that the point IS actually going with ther protagonist's toughts.

Interestingly, RE Howard kinda shares this trait. Conan has the girl of the day and not really any companions. I mean, yeah, he does have some colleagues, but they don't even have action scenes to speak of.
>>
>>51135809
You haven't read hpl, it seems, if you contend that unfathomable cosmic horror ain't him......and single protagonist? Um, no. practically never. No external conflict?? Read moar!!!!!
>>
>>51135809
>HPL doesn't really put the inevitability up as people think he did.
The Shadow Out of Time pretty clearly gives us an experation date.
>Or to be more precise: apparently we can't do shit if the stars are right and Cthulhu wakes up right now, but even if that's supposed to be forever
Except even in Call of Cthluhu, when the stars were right enough for him to be awake and R'lyeh raised, a steamboat took him down. Had no one been there to thwart the Dunedin who knows? I akin that to some people pushing back something terrible, while not ultimately fixing the problem a la DG.

>(I don't think the latter, more "sci-fi" HPL would be that sure about that) that's totally not true for many threats.
I agree with you on that.

>Shit does happen in HPL world, but the absolute powerlessness is a myth. We ARE ants, but we might not built our ant nests at the side of the road, so to speak.
Also agreed.
>But that wasn't the point. The structure of the story is radically different from not only action movies, but detective stories as well. The party thing is pretty much antithetical to HPL in which everything is seen only from the eyes of a single protagonist (most interestingly, even when there COULD be a party: Rats in the Wall, Mountains of Madness) and his ramblings. It's not about conflicts with external forces, it's about the lure of these things - in anything the conflict is internal, between the disgust/unacceaptance of truth and the awe that come from the same source.
That's the problem with adopting the source into a game played by multiple people. While it might be a bit inherently antithetical to a Lovecraft story it isn't antithetical to the setting.
>>
>>51136100
No, anon pretty clearly has. While there are often other characters in Lovecraft's work, the focus is almost entirely on the narrator and always feels pretty isolated in fact.
>>
>>51135809
Not who you're replying to but I'd argue that CoC and DG were never intended to faithfully recreate HPL stories in the medium of a tabletop RPG because an HPL story is often too focused on isolated characters and weird story structure to really work as an RPG. The games are just taking the themes of a typical HPL story and working them into different genres where it can work as an RPG. To a game designer, "make a game that's fun to play" takes priority over "perfectly emulate the source material" and that's fine.

If you're a Lovecraft purist who turns his nose up at anything that isn't entirely faithful to the source material I don't know what to tell you but I don't think that reinterpreting an authors work or taking themes and seeing how they work in a different genre or story structure is inherently bad or disrespectful or whatever, especially when we're talking about an author who loved it when people did those things.
>>
>>51136100

Point me to a single story with a coprotagonist.
And don't even fucking think about Herbert West for a moment.

I said external conflict isn't the engine of the story. It's almost without execption the urge to know.
This doesn't happen if the protagonist gets to know the story of other people, that's true.

>>51136114
>>51136164

I think that taking only the monsters is not more "respectful" of taking Hastur and making him a cute reverse trap.
I mean, it's not a crime, it might even be done pretty well, but if people start to believe COC's ideas about the author (and don't tell me that game doesn't delve into that area) even after actually reading the stories, I have any right to be pissed off.

Imagine if people thought that JRRT was about looting dungeons because of DND. To which you have to add that I don't get COC's appeal anyway. You fight, you investigate, and then you die?
>>
>>51136261
>I don't get COC's appeal anyway.
It's the same reason people like Dwarf Fortress. "Losing is fun"
>>
>>51125573
>The problem of the Lovecraftian stories is that they are usually about incomprehensible horrors. Like, "these ancient ruins have four-dimensional architecture so I'm going crazy just by looking at it" kind of incomprehensible.

But they don't go crazy because what they see is weird. There is very little of this perceived "oops I'm insane now" shit that people attribute to Lovecraft in his actual stories. The 4 dimensional architecture is unsettling to look at, in the same way an optical illusion is unsettling. Which sets the stage for what's to come. It's never the thing itself that triggers the descent into madness, it's the implications of its existence, facing exactly how little we know.

That isn't exactly a foreign concept these days though. We as a culture are now fairly used to feeling small. So his whole shtick doesn't work very well anymore
>>
>>51126336
This ain't Lovecraftian. This is Kafkaesque.
>>
>>51136261

And to add: I just wanted a game about HPL. I mean, he's that famous, he has a game not about his stories which is terribly famous... how about even a little game about his stories alright?

>>51136306

I didn't really play DF, but I am dependent on The Long Dark, so I can relate to the idea.

In COC you can't really retry the same thing to pass the challenge you wanted to pass with more expertise and knowledge, so the metaphor doesn't really seem good to me.
>>
File: 51Qb2TzUlTL.jpg (39KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Qb2TzUlTL.jpg
39KB, 333x500px
What are some essential anthologies?
>pic related
>Tales of Lovecraft mythos
are both great
>>
>>51136261
>Imagine if people thought that JRRT was about looting dungeons because of DND. To which you have to add that I don't get COC's appeal anyway. You fight, you investigate, and then you die?
That's fair and a good point. What do you think a true to Lovecraft story game would look like?
>>
>>51136589

I think Lovecraftesque is going in the right direction, tough I didn't play it as of now, alas.
>>
>>51136154
OF COURSE the narrator has a certain centrality to the tales....oi......but the tales, in the main, are not loner exploits: many are, but more are not. Just because the reader naturally identifies with the narrator doesn't mean he's the only character.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 651x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 651x387px
>>51125294
Fucking this

Lovercraft's stories weren't fucking flawless masterpieces. He was a pulp writer who pumped out works by the dozen and that showed. He doesn't need legions of neckbeards fondling his balls and singing his praises. I fucking hate this /tg/ mentality of "it's was good when it was obscure but now it's infested by FILTHY NORMIES who don't understand it on at autistic level like I do". If you want to read and re-read the Cthulhu Mythos Omnibus and nothing else, sure. If you want new content your gonna have to accept that most of it won't be your thing.
>>
>>51137060
>many are, but more are not
Almost all of them are pretty much loner tales. Lovecraft himself was pretty socially awkward and really only conversed well via correspondence. I'd even be willing to bet he'd be on 4chan had it existed then or he existed now.
>>
>>51137730
This site would sicken him. He wouldn't be here (except maybe as one of the raging autist ex-trips, perhaps, if his mind were allowed to atrophy).
>>
File: Clark Ashton Smith.jpg (22KB, 384x600px) Image search: [Google]
Clark Ashton Smith.jpg
22KB, 384x600px
>>51132606
Fuck you, Smith was a genius.
>>
File: 1477895151266.jpg (77KB, 392x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477895151266.jpg
77KB, 392x360px
>yfw you realize that your brain is technically a sentient creature that has wrapped it's tendrils around your vertebrae giving it complete control of your body, only giving minor control to you while it handles everything else
>You are only relevant as a conciousness, existing only to give this vessel much needed life
>>
>>51138928
Erm--that post is EXACTLY correct. You have nailed reality, anon.
>>
I was under the impression that our (post)modern indifference to the strangeness of reality was a large part of the alleged "horror" of Lovecraftian fiction.
It isn't just that reality is indifferent to human struggles; it's that humanity must be abandoned to know reality.

>"The human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'. Only egotism exists."

>The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.
>>
List of Pure Lovecraftian Cthulhu Senarios
Fairyland by Scott Dorward plays on Cthulhu Dark
The Final Revelation and all 4 of its sub Senarios by Walmsley and Dorward plays on Trail of Cthulhu
Sukapak in Unspeakable Oath 21 plays on all
All the Senarios in Nameless horrors plays on Call of Cthulhu

Only use these Senarios for a pure lovecraftian feel. All are easily modded to other systems.
>>
>>51134456
What they hell are you talking about?
CoC ain't perfect but it's leagues ahead of that shit stained soap box Lovecraftesque.
That ruined lovecraft more than CoC for my group. One read and several quit playing ANY lovecraft game I brought them.
The fucking Tumblr bullshit and garbage rules pissed them off that much.

CoC works fine if you just rework when people take sanity tests and use Stealing Cthulhu to rewrite Senarios.
>>
>>51136653
No it really doesn't. I played a game and it's shit.
The game rips off a MUCH better made book called Stealing Cthulhu (all should buy and read I seriously can't recommend this enough)
Lovecraftesque remakes that good book into a convoluted and confusing game of storytelling where nobody gets what they want by following lovecraftian rules. It's too cookie cutter and if your players aren't 100% lovecraft fans it will crash and burn.
That and a third of the book is just bashing lovecraft. It goes on and on about "problematic" racist & sexist stuff while calling him a homophobe for not having any gay characters and how he doesn't treat mental illness like a super special disease.

No game will be perfectly lovecraftian unless your players want it to be.
THEY need to react to horror in a lovecraftian manner. Using Graham Walmsleys Stealing Cthulhu and Dark Depth help A LOT but you also need to train your players to accept horror in their RPGs.
>>
>>51136114
>Steamboat took him down even when the stars were right
REEEEEEEEE I HATE THIS MEME

Cthulhu wasn't taken down, he had not finished forming as the stars began to shift back into their regular arrangement and de-align. The stars were not yet right, but were almost.
>>
>>51141817
The important thing here is significance.
In 1926 a tramp steamer was the biggest machine humans had so it was the perfect tool to use against Cthulhu. When it's proven ineffective it's a comment on our entire race.
With all our fancy modern tech a steamer looks like small fries.
Just a matter of technological perspective.
>>
>>51135819
They compile it from a couple different places I think.

I've never liked that story for that reason. It spends way too much time detailing this society and history in an unreasonably accurate way. If he had just given vague impressions about the Elder Things it would have been better IMO. That said, the revelation that the Elder Things are just people and that the real enemies are even worse is pretty dope.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 250x296px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 250x296px
>>51127429
>>
>>51129777

Ckecked.

Also wish he had done more stories on the Dream Cycle.
>>
>>51135520
I think someone came close to representing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAwSxtaD4II
>>
>>51124885
It also surprised me quite how spooped I got.
>>
>>51124866
You care far too much what other people think.

Alternatively if you can't stop caring surround yourself with adults, not teenagers.
>>
>>51127429
Well his dad got the Syphyllus Crazies and his mom was just neurotic.
>>
>>51125573
>If you want a /tg/ example, then it isn't Call of Cthulhu that is scary. It is Delta Green and Unknown Armies that are scary.

I think that's more a comment on /tg/'s roleplaying ability and comprehension of Lovecraft's talents than it is Lovecraft himself.

I agree that he's not ideal horror; I read his works as being impossibly arcane and alien. They're not so much scary as they are unsettling and weird. But I don't consider that a bad thing.
>>
>>51143263
They're written for a different age and time. Personally, I wish he'd lived to see and write about man walking on the moon, or Russian probes landing on Venus.

It was written for a different culture and zeitgeist, of course it won't have the same impact on a world nearly a century later.
>>
>>51141321

>>51141649

Buttmad nerds gonna buttmad.

>>51143263

HPL wasn't really scary even then. He was and is unsettling, which is a different thing.
>>
>>51146297
>Buttmad
Both of those posts seem like pretty fair criticism to me, Tumblr buzzwords aside. I don't know anything about Lovecraftesque but I've read Stealing Cthulhu and it's very good.
>>
>>51141817
I've seen anons on here compare the boat incident to someone being woken up in the middle of the night by a noise in their house, stubbing their toe on a small toy while trying to find the source and saying "Fuck this I'm going back to bed".
>>
>>51148376

"X is better than Y" is not criticism. Is being buttmad, having nothing to reply.
>>
>>51148376
I'll admit it does leave me "butt mad" but the sheer lack of quality and poor handling the book has is so evident I feel I have a very good reason.
When you have a product that looks bad just by browsing it and causes normies to loose all love they had for lovecraft by devoting whole sections to insulting him that's bad in my book.
Opinions differ and I'm basing my opinion on some personal events but I still think there are MUCH better ways to play lovecraftian games.
>>
>>51148974

If you think that noticing that HPL was racist is "not loving him", you should not read anything. Really.

He WAS racist. Full stop. Deal with it.

(though I think Lovecraftesque doesn't really get HOW he was. He was 80% against miscegenation, not really against most other races, he even got sympathetic black characters, even if pretty stupid. Does this make him worse or better? Whatever, you really need to be a subhuman to "hate" authors because of their political ideas)
>>
>>51149281
I don't have a problem acknowledging he had fucked up racist views. He would have hated me personally.

But don't bring that shit up in an RPG, bring it up somewhere else.

Lovecraftesque biggest mistake is a classic Tumblr mistake. "People in the past didn't have the same level of PC we have, so there bad"
They point to HPLs stereotypes about mental health forgetting that mental health was a poorly developed science in his day and age. They find the fact that less advanced people had less advanced social views as offensive. That's their biggest flaw.

That and the game is just terrible, IMHO.
>>
>>51149281
>>51150197
And no one ever remembers that he regretted these views later in his life.

He grew up and tumblerites who think he's so racist that he shouldn't be honored as a person who practically created a genre of fiction haven't grown up.
>>
>>51150197

Why not? I mean, Lovecratesque does have a bloated chapter on this, but I don't see the problem if you acknowledge this and say "well, maybe you can play without that... or to be more precise, here are some things to consider to expand the genre over middle upper class white male intellectual". Hell, at least make said individual a little less brainy.
I think they do acknowledge that he wasn't really "ableist" (sorry for the term) regarding mental health, actually.

(i felt kinda funny that in all this the characters they present in the scenario ARE mostly if not scientists people pretty much people brainy/inquistive people, still. But that's another point altogether)

>>51150254

He did?
>>
>>51126125
Maybe the opposite might be scary these days, that there is is a special meaning to humankind, but it's not a good one. For example, humans as a scapegoat in the Biblical sense.
>>
This is the curse of fandom growth. Popularity makes things worse, not better. Doctor Who is an easy example.
>>
>>51150424
Because its unessicary and does more harm than go.

Normies don't play to Lovecraft's cliches so they don't need to be told to play non-white males. Instead they see that a third of the book is devoted to PC content and assume HPL was literallyHitler and become uncomfortable. They also now feel like the NEED to avoid playing white-males to avoid being racist and cliche.

Veterans already know all of this stuff. They will quickly realize the game is flawed and won't play it because they can make HPL stories without the need to follow these rules. Their better off using Stealing Cthulhu.

Adding five essays of race and mental health does nothing to help veterans who probably already know this stuff and does nothing but dissuade norms from playing the first place.
>>
File: Huovispatsas.jpg (365KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Huovispatsas.jpg
365KB, 700x467px
>tfw you've passed by a statue in your tiny home town thousands of times without realizing the writer basically wrote about Lovecraftian themes.

"In this universe, man has the rights of an ant."

Anyone Finnish who's ever noticed the same?
>>
>>51150424
There's that new scenario book in the works that is made up entirely of scenarios set in Harlem during the 1920s with all black premade PCs. The idea is to shift the focus away from the usual white male academic that is the typical protagonist of Lovecrafts stories. I haven't seen any of the scenarios yet but I'm interested in how it will turn out. I think that book will do much more of a service to Lovecraftian horror than a book that just talks about how he was racist and how it's bad.
>>
>>51150424
He did.

"I can better understand the inert blindness & defiant ignorance of the reactionaries from having been one of them. I know how smugly ignorant I was. . . I really had thrown all that haughty, complacent, snobbish, self-centred, intolerant bull, & at a mature age when anybody but a perfect damned fool would have known better! . . . It's hard to have done all one's growing up since 33—but that's a damn sight better than not growing up at all."
—HPL in a letter to Catherine L. Moore, February 7, 1937
>>
>>51151353
Considering the book has just as many pages as main rule book I expect it will be full of useful things for those people interested in more POC.
>>
>>51150424
Yes. It's in his letters to friends and to his ex-wife, who was a Jew, by the by.

But no, it's FAR more important that he was racist before.
>>
>>51151375

Interesting. Thanks.

>>51151353

They do try, that's for sure. Still, I dunno, personally I'd probably have liked more some more non-brainy protagonits. Oh well.

>>51151289

So you think your "veterans" did care about the fact that most of the scenarioes in COC are pretty much racist?
>>
>>51151290
Our local library is dedicated to Clark Ashton Smith.

The local Mormons built a church on Poet Smith Lane.

Which was not named after John Smith.
>>
>>51151534
I have yet to find a SINGLE racist CoC scenario.
Not one i've seen has limited the race of characters or cast specific races in purely negative light.
>>
>>51151534
That quote comes about a month before he dies.
>>
>>51151534
>most of the scenarioes in COC are pretty much racist?

In what way?
>>
>>51151514

the point isn't really the author, it's the stories. I don't think many people give a shit about REH's stereotypes, at least because we don't really play Conan per se, but apparently they do use evil gypsies still in COC.

Granted, first world problems and all.
>>
>>51151607

Masks of Nyarlathotep was. The most regarded upon.
>>
>>51151659
I would agree if it was for the fact that almost every single scenario have a character of the race race as the cults that is an ally to some degree. It gives good examples for each race.
In addition all cultist in each location are "natives" but not all "natives" are cultist. If it implied every Egyptian was a member of the Cult of Sphinx then it would racist. But it doesn't.

In addition their are cults in England, New York & Australia that contain "whites" so it's not like all the cults are evil dark skinned folks.
>>
>>51151643
>apparently they do use evil gypsies still in COC.

Seems realistic to me.
>>
>>51124866
That's nice
>>
>>51151643
To be racist you need to define an ENTIRE group as bad or evil.

Just having one evil person who happens to be from a minority doesn't make it racist.

ALL gypsies are evil vs THAT gypsy is evil.
>>
>>51151643
>they do use evil gypsies still in COC.
And?
>>
>>51151828

And not everyone in the hobby is an edgelord, I guess.
>>
>>51152697
That's not really 'edgy'.

If you live in most of Europe anyway.
>>
File: 1478633430311.jpg (33KB, 525x469px) Image search: [Google]
1478633430311.jpg
33KB, 525x469px
>>51151659
No.
>>
>>51152697
>I have never interacted with gypsies.
>>
File: IA!! THE STARS ARE RIGHT!.gif (1MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
IA!! THE STARS ARE RIGHT!.gif
1MB, 450x450px
>>51151543
>>51151543
That is fucking delicious, anon!
>>
>>51152697
You've never dealt with that slime IRL have you? No one likes gypsies, unless you've never met one. You think, oh these guys aren't slimeballs, it's just /pol/ being edgelords.

Then you come home one day to see gypsies moved in next door. Your house begins to stink because gypsies don't believe in bathing or proper hygiene. You'll find odd piles of shit in your front and back yards. You'll hear music and loud mongrels drinking at all hours of the night. You try to get in your car to go work and one will always come up to you begging for money. It turns out that they hit up the neighborhood for money.

I haven't even got to the part where they'll break into your house constantly, and then try to sell your shit back to you for money. Heaven forbid you have a gf/wife/daughter/woman over because those fucks will hit on them or even grope them. And you can't leave your garage door open because they'll barge right in and stink up the place, while grabbing whatever they can.

Eventually they stop paying their rent because they'd rather buy bling instead of pay the rent, or they accrued so much credit card debt that they dip out. Not before stripping the walls of copper of course.

Fuck em, and fuck you for even defending them. They're utter scum and I wish that the Holocaust happened and that Hitler wiped out all pikeys. The world would be a better place.
>>
>>51142222
So, if it'd been more like an action movie, and less like a scientific expedition...ok,,,,,,,,,,,
>>
>>51142222
>It spends way too much time detailing this society and history in an unreasonably accurate way.
Maybe its just someone's headcanon, but I had thought there was a theory that the carvings also had a psychic component that kind of filled in the blanks.
>>
>>51153328

But I do live in Europe. Next to fucking camp for them, even.

Don't talk about what you don't know, burgers.
>>
File: 1470984644897.jpg (12KB, 154x293px) Image search: [Google]
1470984644897.jpg
12KB, 154x293px
>>51124866
> WAAAAAAAAAAAAH RPGS HAVE RUINED MY THING BECAUSE IT BELONGS TO ME AND ONLY ME

And I bet you like them big when you suck on them, do you even know where you are ?! My God OP's fagot level is unbelievable ...

Hopefully this retarded thread will sage pretty quick
>>
>>51126336

>Reading on the bus

That's for faggots who are only interested in showing off their so great "literacy taste" you deserved every fucking bit of it anon but I guess you learned your lesson
>>
>>51132991
What would you argue is the point if not that?
>>
File: Devin.jpg (15KB, 200x270px) Image search: [Google]
Devin.jpg
15KB, 200x270px
>>51155291
>Nazi Kirk
>>
>>51132991
Cthulhu's not the big bad?!?! Oh anon! Lemme splain....
Azathoth is all there is - it is the source, substance, and fate of the entire universe. We are motes in the atoms of this 'Thing'. Cthulhu is the Universe's High Priest of Azathoth. The top magic man of the universe; the Walker Below who controls (CONTROLS!!!!!!!) the ever-shifting chaos of big A. Big A. is a blind idiot: Cthulhu MAKES AZATHOTH DANCE.

Boom.
>>
>>51157522
OH dear! Did the tumblerinas lie to you anon? Are you buttflustered because muh racist lovecraft turned out to, ummm, NOT be racist?
Fuck off moron. Your response proves your stupidity. Go back to your ignorance.
>>
>>51157529
You are very, very incorrect.
>>
>>51157529
>I have only read tumblrs on the Cthulhu mythos
>>
>>51138018
He would write short stories on /pol/ about the election.

Maybe a poem even.
>>
>>51158292
see>>51151375
>>
>>51157601
>>51157667
You bois need to expand your readings of Lovecraft - because this comes from the man himself. You should read his letters.
>>
>>51158502
Go ahead and reference it for me than retard.
>>
>>51158757
>You should read his letters
You don't reed gud, do you?
>>
File: there are two kinds of gnomes.jpg (46KB, 563x353px) Image search: [Google]
there are two kinds of gnomes.jpg
46KB, 563x353px
I don't know, I think I'll always like steampunk despise the "fanbase" and

No wait scratch that, I'll always love Arcanum despise it's many flaws
>>
>>51158831
Find me the letter oh great expert.
>>
>>51159483
You'd like that, wouldn't you? Sadly, the corpus is huuuge; and we both know you ain't gonna read shit, ain't that right sunshine?
mebe take a college course?? when you graduate, of course....
>>
>>51159552
Gotcha, you're just pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
File: 1478095151576.jpg (25KB, 921x606px) Image search: [Google]
1478095151576.jpg
25KB, 921x606px
>>51159568
>>
>>51156201
Hey, some people have long journeys. I have nearly two hours commute a day, I like to read so it's a good way to make the ride tolerable.
>>
>>51125260
I like what the Laundry did with it. Seeing this shit doesn't make you go mad, but th big guys do surround themselves with wards of insanity.
>>
>>51125573
>The problem of the Lovecraftian stories is that they are usually about incomprehensible horrors. Like, "these ancient ruins have four-dimensional architecture so I'm going crazy just by looking at it" kind of incomprehensible.
The horror behind Call of Cthulhu was that all sailors were part of a murderous cult. The horror behind Color Out Of Space was that the state (Massachusetts?) was making blighted land into a reservoir, that of rats in the Walls is finding out he descends from cannibals, that of Mountains of Madness is that we all come from Elder Thing sewage and the from consideration of finititude, etc.
All the 4D shit is window dressing.
>>
>>51125003
I've got to completely disagree here. I think Lovecraft's prose is some of the finest in literature, especially horror literature. A couple good examples of this are in his story "Cool Air"

He used the story as a metaphor for how he felt living his life in NYC, with all of his New England belongings crammed into a tiny apartment, feeling like he was just "going through the motions" of life, and the way the story is written, it really conveys that. It shows in his word choice, the way he structured sentences, it all had this deliberate thought to it. He knew how to time scares in writing and that's really, really impressive, and it adds to his effectiveness as a storyteller.

I think that you're completely entitled to your opinion, there are plenty of bad examples as well, but I do think that was a bit reductionist, as Lovecraft really put thought into the words he chose.
>>
>>51156057
I am European, its the Americans who throw a hissy fit when we are realistic about what gypsies are. If you actually live next to a camp I am so, so sorry. I would not wish that on anybody.
>>
>>51125573
The supernatural is what makes horror horror and the supermatural is that which we cannot relate to. There's a reason that "fear of the other/unknown" is considered the core of horror.
>>
>>51131454
No, but they rip earth in half.
>>
>Being so MAD at being part welsh that you write numerous stories about evil shit about bloodlines and descendents
>>
>>51138928
>when you talk inside your brain it's not you, it's some other being
>your very consciousness could be intertwined with the plans of old ones
>this is why crazy people act dysfunctional as to be herded around as functional chaos to deter 'thinking against the voices'

I want this to be a horror story and I want my teddy bear too.
>>
>>51161340

>The gibbous moon hangs in the dark, eldritch sky over the squeals and squalor of misshapen denizens of Maine, shuffling uncaring past my abode. The man outside my window is terrifying and maddening like the worst of my nightmares made flesh. I can hear him now walking up the stairs. He is opening the door, his foul putrescence a visage of horror as he steps towards me, his hands gnarled as if there were two spiders struck dead by some nameless evil. He is right here, guiding me to the insanity that awaits all who look upon truth.

Lovecraft was low-tier for prose. His ideas were great, though. You can throw out his style without even trying.
>>
File: Shin-Godzilla.jpg (46KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
Shin-Godzilla.jpg
46KB, 600x320px
>>51157529
Protip, you're talking about Nyarlatotep. Nyarlatotep takes up residence in the court of Azathoth. Nyarlatotep has direct access to Azathoth, and full command of the Musicians in the Court that keep Azathoth asleep.

Cthulhu is nothing. Just an alien that is taking a cosmic nap "behind the wheel" on a little insignificant planet at the side of the intergalactic road.

On another note, has anyone here seen Shin Godzilla?

I think this film got pretty close to Lovecraftian horror, mixed a bit of the early Lovecraftian creature-feature about a horrible beast with the later cosmic horror about something much grander and greater than mankind unleashed.
>>
>>51163802

>all this derlethshit
>>
>>51164401
>derleth shit

I didn't know Dreams in the Witch House was written by Derleth
>>
>>51164532

The sistem you're referring to is deleth's. You will not find a "hierarchy" in HPL.
>>
>>51164554
What system? What the fuck are you crying about?

Dreams in the Witch House has Nyarlatotep conversing with the protagonist, explaining that he comes from the Court of Azathoth, the Nuclear Chaos and holds immense power.
>>
>>51164570

Find us the chtulhu part. Go on, we'll listen.
>>
>>51136025
my nigga
>>
>>51136025
I want to write a book about a necromancer that also uses saltes to occasionally ply his trade.
>>
>>51124888
That's a good one. The Thing on the Doorstep was my introduction to Lovecraft, and to this day gives me the most chills.
>>
>>51163802
Nyarly IS Azathoth, manifested. Cthulhu is his high priest.
>>
>>51163334
>when you talk inside your brain it's not you, it's some other being
Erm - hate to break it to you, brother...you just figured it out......
>>
>>51164588
Not him, but that anon specifically mentioned that Cthulhu is a small fry, who has nothing to do with the real movers and shakers of the universe.

>>51169291
More accurately, Nyarlathotep is (probably) a manifestation of an aspect of Azatoth's (un)conciousness; if the universe is Azatoth's dream, Nyarly is likely his "dream-self", or the person he's seeing the dream through. All we really know is that he's "the messanger and soul of the Outer Gods", and that he's literally older than the universe (if we assume Yog-Sothot is the universe, which is a generally accepted intrepetion).

Cthulhu is in noone of Lovecraft's own stories described as having any particualr connection to Azatoth. He's described in Call of Cthulhu as "the high priest of the Great Old Ones", but it's somewhat unclear whether he's a GOO who is also a priest, or a priest who worships the GOO. Dunwitch Horror states that he's not one of the GOO, but a closely related being, and even he can perceive the GOOs (who are invisible to humans) only dimly.
In any case, even if he were a high priest of Azatoth, he'd have about as much control over Azatoth as the pope has over God. And I've yet to see the pope call down divine fire upon the unbelievers.
>>
>>51169580
>if the universe is Azatoth's dream
Which is actually not an idea that appears in any of Lovecraft's writings. The idea seems to have been borrowed later on from Dunsany's MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI.

Also, the term "(Great) Old One" is not used with any consistency in Lovecraft's writings.

In Call of Cthulhu, it is clearly implied that Cthulhu is one of the Great Old Ones:

> Mankind was not absolutely alone among the conscious things of earth, for shapes came out of the dark to visit the faithful few. But these were not the Great Old Ones. No man had ever seen the Old Ones. The carven idol was great Cthulhu, but none might say whether or not the others were exactly like him.

In Dunwich Horror, on the other hand, Cthulhu is specifically mentioned to be only a cousin of the Great Old Ones. Then in At the Mountains of Madness, the Old Ones are the starfish aliens that genetically engineered shoggoths and many other life forms, while the inhabitants of R'lyeh are no longer "Old Ones" but instead just the "spawn of Cthulhu".
>>
>>51129714
>Instead we buy tickets to watch nuclear tests and sip champagne.
We don't just fail san rolls, we EMBRACE san loss, and then perfect it so no one can best us in the field!
>>
>>51169580

>Not him, but that anon specifically mentioned that Cthulhu is a small fry, who has nothing to do with the real movers and shakers of the universe.

Which, as I undertand, is something that came from Derleth. It does make sense mind you, but still.
>>
>>51169580
>In any case, even if he were a high priest of Azatoth, he'd have about as much control over Azatoth as the pope has over God. And I've yet to see the pope call down divine fire upon the unbelievers.
God's not real: Cthulhu and Azathoth are. Azathoth has no practical, conscious influence over events in our universe: Cthulhu does, because Cthulhu is not a 'priest' in our mundane sense. Cthulhu is no 'worshipper' beholden and clinging to some greater power. He is a priest in the ancient sense: a wielder of power, a controller of the universe, a manifester of the sacred. He makes the suns rise and the rains fall, as it were. And he does all this because he knows the extra-dimensional secrets of the universe.
Think of it in this way: in dunwich horror, a human wizard madman manages to bring yog sothoth physically to Earth in an attempt to jumpstart the universal apocalypse THAT FUCKING NEARLY SUCCEEDED EXCEPT FOR A SINGLE GUARD DOG!!!!!!!
THAT'S what one human sorcerer with a bit of knowledge was able to do.
Now, consider what a being like Cthulhu must know about reality, and what He can do..........
>>
>>51171270
Fuck off retard. Either bring up a source for your retarded headcanon or kill yourself.
>>
>>51155632
>i meant a bunch of pricks so genocide should happen
Da, Comrade send them to the gulag.
>>
>>51171576
Tell me how your life, or the world at large, would be worse off if there were no gypsies.
>>
>>51171611

It wouldn't be worse if you disappeared, but I don't feel any need to kill you.
>>
>>51171783
I don't feel any great desire to kill them either, but if someone just took them all out, I really wouldn't care too much. No great loss.
>>
>>51171832

The point was about wishing them dead.

I realize racists have problems reading, but try it, it's not that bad.
>>
File: 1481479163715.jpg (40KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
1481479163715.jpg
40KB, 650x366px
>>51171972
Whatever you say, virtue-signaling faggot.
>>
>>51171531
You suck at this, don't you, sunshine?
That's ok - you'll get there; keep tryin'. You really should lay off the debates until you get a thorough knowledge of the material, though. This is a discussion for grownups.
>>
>>51172087
You have literally been making things up or pulling shit from some other faggots headcanon. Source the shit or fuck off.
>>
>>51171832
>>51172023
Hey, bud: take a hint>>51151375
You might be in the wrong place, fucko.
>>
>>51172133
Reed lovecraft you raging faggot. It's all right there, you poor dumb slob. Now, away with you!
>making things up
Huh, missed the Dunwich Horror ref, eh? Typical example of your inability to actually read...get goad, faget.
>>
>>51143028
I'm reminded of Bucketheadland 2
>>
>>51172171
Why would I give a fuck whether Lovecraft was racist or not? Stephen King is an enormous virtue-signaling toolbag, but I still like reading his books. Clive Barker is a literally an exorbitant faggot, but The Books of Blood are awesome.
>>
>>51172023

Thanks for demonstrating my point, subhuman.
>>
>>51172227
Go ahead and source how Cthluhu controls Azathoth. I'll wait.
>>
The dream quest for unknown Kadath is objectively the best book not only in the Dream cycle but in all of Lovecraft. Also, I despise normies and posers too, but why would somebody misusing a franchise and not understanding it ruin it for you? Just hate them and don't talk with them about Lovecraft.
>>
>>51172284
Just trying to educate you on the virtues of being grown up, anon - no need to go full retard, son.
Do try to grow up, though: you'll be better for it.
>>
>>51172310
>Cthluhu
>Cthluhu?
See how bad you are? You can do better.
>>
>>51172572
Source it or just admit you're full of shit. Surely someone as wise as you could do this put this poor, fool in his place?
>>
>>51172531
Oh no, some tumblrite who has never experienced the world is chastising me, how shall I recover?
>>
Chambers > Lovecraft
>>
>>51172653
Hey, fuckhole, how about the both of you practice what Lovecraft preached and realize your egos are obnoxious and meaningless, and post something people care about, which isn't YOU.

Anyways, Azathoth had 'influence' over Its dream, which is all of existence, through Its avatar Nyarlathotep, and all of the actors inside of it, who are all just fragments of the dream and parts of Azathoth. Nothing has true control over Azathoth save to try to make It wake up and destroy existence, because they ARE Azathoth in some dream sense.
>>
>>51157529
This has to be bait, right?
>>
>>51172310
Fungi from Yuggoth
part XXI - Nyarlathotep
"Soon from the sea a noxious birth began;
Forgotten lands with weedy spires of gold [R'lyeh, the Sunken City of Cthulhu, seat of Cthulhu's power];
The ground was cleft, and mad auroras rolled
Down on the quaking citadels of man.
Then, crushing what he chanced to mould in play,
The idiot Chaos [Azathoth] blew Earth’s dust away."

There. See how hard that was, cupcake? Now, kindly fuck off and neck your ignorant, unbelieving self. Faggot.
>>
>>51130018
What's so unfaithful about Delta Green?

It seems to me like it's the most faithful you could be and still have a functioning roleplaying game.

>you probably need to feel pretty excited and even honoured to encounter Bilbo
You should probably never encounter Bilbo in a good LotR game.
>>
>>51172893
Delta Green I've found understands Lovecraft better than a majority of the fandom and writing authors out there do.
>>
>>51172841
It's willful violation of global rules 3 and 6.
>>
>>51172889
But he gets BTFO'd by the Elder Things.
>>
>>51172889
The title of that section is literally titled Nyarlathotep and that's who it's talking about... How can someone be this retarded?
>>
>>51157529
This is like saying Old Man Whateley is the universes high priest of Yog-Sothoth just because he got him to bang his daughter.
>>
>>51124866
>neckbeards and Gamergirls have pretty much ruined it for me
It's why I stopped watching TV, listening to opinions of shows and basically checked out of entertainment punditry. Life is so much more fun when I can determine my own initial reaction to stuff.
>>
>>51124885
Yeah, it was embarrassed when I was being woken up by noises because I read a 1920s horror short story about invisible rape babies. However, it being embarrassing didn't stop it happening.
>>
>>51172889
A.) That's not from a letter like you claimed.
B.) Cthulhu isn't referenced at all, it's talking about Nyarlathotep.
C.) Nowhere in the passage is there an implication of anyone control Azathoth.

How can anyone be this retarded? But I digress, thanks for showing me that you are in fact, a complete idiot. Thanks dollface. ;)
>>
>>51137060
"there's not literally just one character" isn't the same as "there's a party".
>>
>>51172940
not when the stars are right, anon - come on! get with the lore.
>>51172950
Nyarly was the demon guide, asshat - how can someone be this retarded??
>>51172961
You really don't know how this shit works, eh? Reed moar - reed the whole damned thing before you spew nonsense.
>>
>>51173058
>how can someone be this retarded??
I don't know idiot, how can anyone read that can come to the conclusions you did? Seriously, this may be the more retarded thing I have ever read. Stop reading tumblr for all your Lovecraft analysis.
>>
>>51141817
This is what Cthulhu "fans" say, but it's not actually attested by the source material.
>>
>>51173035
1 - no it's not, it was an easier reference to find - but thanks for showing us you have the mind of a sheep

2 - mind of sheep clearly demonstrated - read the WHOLE POEM YOU RAVING MONG!

3 - cause and effect, asshat - the coming of the fane of power of Cthulhu is what opens the Way/Yog Sothoth for the Old Ones to return - do you even Cthulhu, nigga? He that controls the Gate controls the Old Ones. Whateley damn near blew the Gate open with his shenanigans, but the stars weren't quite right (nearly right in 1927, but not quite). When R'lyeh rises for the last time, Cthulhu brings Azathoth out to play.

How can anyone be this retarded? Thanks for showing us that you are a poser dullard tumblerina. Buh-bye, chuckles.
>>
>>51173099
Reed the whole poem, then get back to us.
>>51173152
Yeah, it really is, right in the short story itself. Reed it.
>>
>>51136306
It's not the same. Losing in DF is part of learning. You eventually understand the game well enough that you don't lose any more.
>>
>>51124885
Honest;y I think the thing you're complaining about died around 2010. I could be wrong but I know I've seen a lot less of it.
>>
>>51173161
You seem to just be confusing all the various mythos entities into Cthulhu... Ok, yeah, this had to be bait. 7/10, you had me going for a while.
>>
>>51136500
This probably doesn't count, but there's an android app (just called H.P. Lovecraft) which has just about everything.
>>
>When everyone forgets Illithid were the 3rd servitor Species made by the Elder things as a response to Cthulhu's Star Spawn wrecking their shit, but they came out as worms and couldn't do fuck all with them until their Psionics kicked in and helped with the Shoggoth Rebellion
>When people Forget Aboleth's are a Race from Ry'leh that looked after Cthylla and did other Horrible abberant Chores and had their own racial paragon equivalent of Father Dagon called the Eldest, and in addition, were spawned from Sub-niggurath fissioning through the Astral Sea, leftovers becoming the Great Mother, who made beholders, the only primary Arcane Aberration race that would die without the weave
>When people forgot Thraizdun was a Proxy for Azathoth exploding and wrecking the D&D cosmology so they couldn't avoid total
>When Ghaunadaur/Juiblex is literally that one Outer-god by proxy, but can't decide what to do because the Aligment system defaults his behaviour to CE Stupid-evil
>When Alienists are literally Bloodborne insight progression- the class till they got shafted to Psionics which makes no sense
>When an archdevil the assman banished accidentally started Mantling Dagon as a Demon Lord and is almost there, only needing the Deep ones to manifest to complete the transformation
>When the Nameless Mist is proxied as the mother of all Demons
>When Dark-young of Shub-niggurath gets spit into two renamed forms you find in Monster Manuals
>When Illithid Made Nyralathotep Eidieons back in 2e
>Moonbeasts and that arcane flying Cthulhu head
>The entire purpose of the Abyss being a sentient creation system engineering demons to best suitor it's agenda to blow up the Alignment system so things can go back to being ammoral nihlistic and uncaring by basically producing a Great Old One Imitation, except Demogogron and Tannari'ri creation subverted this tenfold
>Juiblex made black and is appearance-wise a shoggoth now

Swear to fuck Lovecraft WOTC buttlust is at an all time high.
>>
>>51173184
You have a poor grasp of Lovecraft and the seemingly the English language as a whole. Seriously, go take a basic English class and then come and talk to the adults.
>>
>>51173222
Not at all - you have never read Lovecraft's poetry. That's it. Read the poem "Fungi from Yuggoth". That's all you have to do. Read it and understand it, in relation to all his work (to which it relates intimately). Don't keep your eyes wide shut - try to think.
But, most importantly: read the fucking poem, moron - your head canon is wrong. Read the fucking poem.
>>
>>51149281
>He WAS racist. Full stop. Deal with it.
Okay, now why do we need our RPGs to spend whole chapters dealing with it?
>>
>>51173344
I'very ready it numerous times, YOU are the one pulling shit out of your ass to make Cthulhu some sort of all-seeing, all-knowing master of all because he's your favorite.

Do me a favor and stop just reading shit from tumblr about how Cthulhu is like, totally, like SUPER BADASS, k?
>>
>>51173315
Read call again, kid - read it, and check the dates. Also, check the star charts for the specific dates in question. Also, check the newspapers from the dates in question. You will notice some very interesting things....
It's clear you've not read the story, or at least not read it comprehensively and with understanding, if you expect us to believe that you somehow 'missed' the whole stars reference........
>>
>>51173414
I get it, I know it hurts that your "super cool" headcanon doesn't reflect reality, but it is what it is friendo. Someday, when you aren't 15, you'll realize that it's ok to be wrong. Thanks though, really. I had a hearty kek at your expense.
>>
>>51172889
This is what you were using to support >>51157529? Holy fuck anon. You do know that Nyarlathotep and Cthulhu are two different beings right?
>>
>>51155632
>gypsies moved in next door.
>one will always come up to you begging for money.
Maybe try not living in a place that people can afford by begging.
>>
>>51157582
You ain't sounding that intellectual either, mate.
>>
>>51173386
>all-seeing, all-knowing master of all
Who the fuck said that? You (again!) clearly demonstrate that you are incapable of reading with comprehension. I never said that. Ever. Go back and check.
What I said was this: Cthulhu knows the secret architecture of the universe, a knowledge he uses to do shit and which will eventually lead to the unleashing of Azathoth.
Now, I'm sorry that your precious big A is a blind idiot retard, but that's the nature of the beast. Ultimate Power = Ultimate Chaotic Retard. (for reference, see the poem Fungi From Yuggoth)
Nowhere did I say Cthumby was all-seeing and all-powerful: I merely said he was A's high priest, and was the one controlling/heralding big A's arrival.
So, stop yer strawmanning, plug up yer butthurt, and reeeeeed! Enjoy the poem - it's fucking brilliant if you've read all of his other works!
>>
>>51133150
The thing is, it's just Sturgeon's Law coming into effect. For every 9 or 10 ineffectual cash-ins who see that winged, squid-headed green dudes are in the public domain and people will buy it, there is 1 work, be it a game, book, or what have you that really, honestly gets it and either adapts, expands on, or homages Lovecraft, the Cthulhu Mythos, and/or the powerful themes of late 19th/early 20th century Weird Fiction in a way that's downright brilliant. The difference is that now that the stars are right (as they say) and this stuff that's been around for a century is getting popular, it's going to fall on us, the consumer, to pick out the gems from the garbage. Those of us who enjoy Lovecraft are no longer a secretive cabal guarding eldritch secrets -- they've been released into the world and (as the theme park version loves to portray) gibbering madness is sure to follow.

It says something very good about the power of the originals that the works of a single man (Or even a small circle and their immediate influences as the case may be -- Including folks like Smith and Bloch as well as those like Hodgson and Chambers) can last so long despite languishing in relative obscurity for generations and spawn an entire fucking genre.

>Lovecraft Favorites
In no particular order, Shadow Out of Time, At the Mountains of Madness, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, Rats in the Walls, and The Mound.
>>
>>51173547
>I merely said he was A's high priest, and was the one controlling/heralding big A's arrival.
Which isn't supported BY ANYTHING.
>>
>>51172230
Never heard of it.
>>
>>51173500
You DO know that the GUIDE was nyarly, right? That Nyarly was the one showing the author the scene of the universe's demise??
Comprehension is a lost art.
>>
>>51173547
>>all-seeing, all-knowing master of all
>Who the fuck said that? You (again!) clearly demonstrate that you are incapable of reading with comprehension. I never said that. Ever. Go back and check.

Ok doke:

>>51157529
>Cthulhu is the Universe's High Priest of Azathoth. The top magic man of the universe; the Walker Below who controls (CONTROLS!!!!!!!) the ever-shifting chaos of big A.

God damn retard, this is fun. Keep it up.
>>
>>51173617
Sorry anon, you're reaching to fulfill your own head-canon.
>>
>>51173566
Oh for god's sakes, it's like i'm arguing with my brother's kids or somethin'....
See>>51172889
It's only the most important poem the man wrote; and none of you have read it.......
>>
>>51173634
erm, how does CONTROLLING the ultimate destructive chaos equate to all-seeing and all-knowing power?? I'm curious, retard. Tell us how your comprehension works.
>>51173655
Sorry, try harder. Contrarian faget.
>>
>>51173665
You keep pointing to the same poem that doesn't actually support anything you've claimed. Jesus Christ, you are the biggest idiot I have ever had the displeasure of discourse with.
>>
>>51173714
>erm, how does CONTROLLING the ultimate destructive chaos equate to all-seeing and all-knowing power?? I'm curious, retard. Tell us how your comprehension works.
>How does having and controlling the most destructive power in the universe make you the biggest, baddest thing in the universe?
Holy fuck, it's like talking to that nerd in school that insisted Batman would always win out over Superman.
>>
>>51173714
>not supporting anon's head-canon is being a contrarain faggot
OK buddy.
>>
>>51158897
That would read so much better without the quotation marks.
>>
>>51163466
Which story is that from?

Regardless, the most over the top stuff normally comes after a pretty big build-up, so by that point you've gotten into it and you "buy in" to the wording, and it works. Sort of like how getting spanked randomly is just a bit odd but getting spanked after some foreplay is excellent.
>>
>>51169291
The first is an opinion, not directly attested in source material. The second is wrong.
>>
>>51130237
Pretty sure people would react to that shit the same way they reacted to global warming.
>>
>>51169291
>Cthulhu is his high priest.
This is woefully wrong.
>>
>>51171270
>God's not real: Cthulhu and Azathoth are.
Azathoth is God. He's not even that different from the God of Christian mysticism.

>Cthulhu is not a 'priest' in our mundane sense. Cthulhu is no 'worshipper' beholden and clinging to some greater power. He is a priest in the ancient sense: a wielder of power, a controller of the universe, a manifester of the sacred. He makes the suns rise and the rains fall, as it were. And he does all this because he knows the extra-dimensional secrets of the universe.
Feel free to provide a source on that. One not derived from Derleth or Chaosium, obviously.
>>
File: Giver.jpg (308KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Giver.jpg
308KB, 750x1046px
>>51174052
I wonder, what is the deity Cthulhu is a high priest of? I never assumed Azathoth, that always seems like a fast track to something as close to anti-CHIM and self-zeroing as you could get, whether a lone cultist or a whole doomed race like the Shan.

Juiblex being some rogue demon-infused shoggoth makes perfect sense too.
>>
>>51172572
Considering Lovecraft's spelling varied way more than that, this seems like strange grounds to dodge the request on.
>>
>>51174087
But don't you know anon, the passage from Fungi of Yoggoth that makes no reference to Cthulhu is actually talking about Cthulhu! In fact, EVERY being is really controlled by Cthulhu.

Cthulhu.
>>
>>51174112
What role would translate well enough for simple monkey-minds of man to understand that would belay importance and knowledge? Priest.
>>
>>51173161
This is some Derleth-tier reaching.

>Cthulhu brings Azathoth out to play.
Azathoth is already out. He can't not be out if we exist.
>>
>>51174171
Yeah yeah yeah. I get it, get over the aesthetics for a second and use your brain. I think the only obvious answer is "Some Mask of Nyarlathotep"

>>51174193
Concentrate would be the word he's looking for. Do not concentrate Azathoth's sleeping attention, lest the dream end early for you and everything near that part of the dream.
>>
>>51174112
If I recall, Cthulhu rolled the fuck in in his city with his star spawn (all purpose mini-me's of varying shapes sizes and purposed sycophantic minion jobs, some often mistaken for the fullblown thing) and Dagon and the deep ones, and whomever took the Yog-sothoth issued express, and began wrecking native shit before he allegedly went to sleep (one iteration says he actually sustained injuries or sort of died, but not really, because he's just a super-Euclid city of workers repairing his body as his consciousness is projected to other planes of existence and layers of visible reality (See that bloodborne shit and From beyond, and understand that ripples thing with quantum physics and the fact humans don't see all the coulours that exist) doing busywork and influencing the creation of other shit elsewhere before he pops back in causing psychic ripples so hard it drives all of mankind mad on the planet, (or was that his innate ability?) and Nyralathotep drops in that nondescript thing to wipe the Earth Clean.
>>
>>51173297
>WOTC
Literally all of that is TSR stuff. They had to drop explicit references to it a while back when they couldn't come to an agreement with Arkham House (probably why a lot of people don't know again) and WotC only recently started referencing that stuff again now that Lovecraft's work has entered the public domain. And even then, there's hardly any. Like, 5e warlocks can have Lovecraft entities as their patrons, and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>51174296
Allegedly, whilst he (dead but 2 evolved to die really) sleeps he's busy fixing some sort of passive contradiction to Yog-sothoth in which if the giant Spaghetti monster doesn't know about something, it technically can't possibly exist (Seeing as he's literally outside of all reality able to see everything, summonings sort of inverting him inward) but it still does because that reality had WHIZZARDS or a True Elder Sign to keep them out of their birthright, and he's usually the one, next to Nyralathotep otu to ruin that by finding some way to echo/meme themselves in with a tow of X-servitor races to begin the welcome wagon.

Demons for example, are basically thought-forms that end up pseudo GOO's via achiving an origin based of fear of the unknown, and that becomes enough to become the real thing and break reality over time, but due to limited constraint on fulfilling demon profile, is all the GOO's but watered down to understandable stereotypical evil, and you see this played out in multiple fictional mediums and such, where the Demon "Kinda lovecraft, but I can understand so not really."

>>51174298
Nah senpai, trust me, they're STILL doing it and they show no signs of stopping, there's loads, I've been collecting them. That pact is the most retarded of shit though, and they don't make it with GOO's it's elder evils and allegedly UNBORN GOO's that are every other star in the cosmology

They've been buthurt about it since 1e and they never-ever stopped.
>>
>>51172664
>Chambers
"I walked home through the narrow dark streets of the Latin Quarter to my apartment at 732 Frenchshit Lane. It is a terrible street, narrow and dark and the people there are poor. Anyway I went up to my room and thought about someone I haven't seen for three years. I thought about it a lot. Then I saw a cat doing cat things, which distracted me but made me wistful. Then I went back out in the street again and saw something spooky."
t. 80% of Chambers' work
>>
>>51174298
Worms that walk for example was an idea taken from a Story involving Hastur where a guy visits a church and notices the people in the church were Worms that walk made because the burial ground was on a place where WHIZZARDs were buried, and some shit about the yellow sign, because Hastur is all about dat arcane or something.

Then they fucked up, making it kyuss, then it's own thing, then a hivemind, then a larva mage, then the other thing again.

Also, on the subject of Hastur, there are like what? 2 Demon Lords that have a 3 name call threshold to shop and fuck shit up?
>>
>>51174296
>star spawn (all purpose mini-me's of varying shapes sizes and purposed sycophantic minion jobs
I'm now imagining Star-Spawn as the yellow minions of Despicable Me.
>>
>>51174400
The Festival?
>>
>>51174424
I had assumed Star Spawn were his race, and Cthulhu was merely a super ancient and strong member, like Dagon y Hydra and the Deep Ones.
>>
>>51174438
I think your assumption has a strong chance of being correct.
>>
>>51174424
S' kinda the point, Cthulu decided he was too cool to into Fission or take the Shub-niggurath SUCC train so he just cloned himself.

That and in the event of death by massive damage he'd impregnate his daughter he keeps locked in the Ry'leh basement to give birth to himself again, something that if you combine with the "high preist of whatever" angle makes him out to be this hilarious Space Demigod that came down, beat the shit out of xenophobic Space-german engineers like some kind of 40k Chaplain with a fucked up Koran Allah level of backstory.

In my setting, THIS is the reason he and Hastur are on bad terms, because who wastes the potential of a GOO' to daddy's cumbucket?
>>
>>51174438
I also took that assumption too. That Cthulhu was just the guy who kept everyone else in R'lyeh in stasis and thus would need to be let out first.
>>
>>51174112
>anti-CHIM
You're thinking of zero-summing. That's considered desirable by the Moth Priests in Elder Scrolls, and it's their main goal.

However a priest of Azathoth could be a bit more like a priest of Yisun than of the ES Godhead. Nyarlethotep's existence implies that (like Yisun) Azathoth may well prefer conflict and individualism which keeps him interested as he sleeps, rather than ceasing to exist in unity and wakening.
>>
>>51174479
>That and in the event of death by massive damage he'd impregnate his daughter he keeps locked in the Ry'leh basement to give birth to himself again
What story is this mentioned in?
>>
>>51174512
That's why I said anti-CHIM, because awakening to what Azathoth is probably means immediate suicide or self-nullification with nothing gained save "It all means nothing and I'm the mental fart vapors of a giant endless mindless wet turd"
>>
>>51173722
Can't read. Too bad.
>>51173770
False equivalency. Grow up, kid.
>>51173789
>hateboner for popularity of muh mythos!
Contrarian faget rejects every notion that Cthumby might be legit because he's popular!!! OK buddy.
>>51173997
Read fungi from yuggoth - it's right there.
>>51174087
>Azathoth is God
>Azathoth is God
Oh, shit, you just don't know! You - read moar!
>>51174114
Another one who's never read a Lovecraft tale....
>>51174171
This guy gets it...
>>
>>51174630
>nothing gained
I mean, to be fair there's nothing to be gained anyway since all means nothing and you're the mental fart vapors of a giant endless mindless wet turd
>>
File: Cthylla.jpg (48KB, 439x387px) Image search: [Google]
Cthylla.jpg
48KB, 439x387px
>>51174532
Ah never-mind, it was expanded Mythos crap.
She's a QT tho.
>>
>>51174647
>This guy gets it...
This guy is the one who's being blasting your precious little headcanon to pieces this hole thread you fucking tool.
>>
>>51174659
Yes but the point is to not realize that so you gain infinite power inside of the dream as you draw closer and closer to the Truth without truly understanding it.

Or go ultra-insane and as a cultist realize you are Azathoth and a dream and all you want to do is spread your nightmare. But that's kind of a mega-apocalypse scenario.
>>
>>51174647
>Another one who's never read a Lovecraft tale....
Maybe read more than one Lovecraft tale. Besides "Cthulhu", Lovecraft also used "Khlûl′-hloo", "Tulu", "Kutulu" an "Katulu".
>>
>>51174647
>he things Azathoth isn't God
You know little of the nature of YHWH, heathen.
>>
>>51174647
>>hateboner for popularity of muh mythos!
>Contrarian faget rejects every notion that Cthumby might be legit because he's popular!!! OK buddy.
Dude Cthulhu is awesome but he's not the high priest if Azathoth. It's just your head-canon.

As >>51174693 stated, you haven't put for anything that supports your theory.
>>
>>51174647
Goddamn the autism is strong in this one.
>>
>>51174715
Wasn't the named GOO and Outer-god names specifically humanized versions of the correct pronunciations that cannot be spoken by human tongue of level of communication and understanding due to man's lack, of well, virtually anything remotely above their set Elder-thing evolutionary scale?

What amounted to magic there, was what? Evocations of words and powers that have such significant meaning their vibrate reverberations across multiple quantum visuals of perceivable reality (Thus manipulating it as per quantum physics as active observers) that were made usable because they simply high a higher and earlier stance of visualization and understanding (made possible by brain functions we lack) of reality and dimensions of visual input?

Eh, if you didn't get that, go play Bloodborne, watch that test with Quantum physics showing the effect of ripples when there is an active observer present, and Read from Beyond. Basically, reality is passively manipulated just by having eyes and a brain, but add in a Shitgun Lobster's ability to see a shitload more colours than humans do and eyes in your head, and you're gonna see some LSD but worse level shit.
>>
>>51174693
Oh, well, if that's the case, why only the one cogent post?
>>51174715
He also used 'miskatonic' - what's your point? He NEVER called it cthlyoohoo or whatever you said.
>>51174738
I know much of YHWH, and, yes: Azathoth would be the YHWH - BUT THAT IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN GOD these plebs are referring to.
>>
>>51174828
Yeah dude is pretty funny to see wiggin out
>>
>>51174849
Dude, your interpretation of one passage of one poem is reaching into levels that no person that possesses any reason would reach.
>>
>>51174844
I think you have had enough weed pal

Never EVER publically write Lovecraft stuff while high you end up sounding like a fucking dimwit
>>
>>51174908
Yeah, or you end up sounding like this tool: >>51174849
>>
>>51174849
>He NEVER called it cthlyoohoo or whatever you said.
You can read what I said, it's written down just up-thread. It's also written down in Selected Letters. The fifth volume, I believe.
>>
>>51174087
>>God's not real: Cthulhu and Azathoth are.
>Azathoth is God. He's not even that different from the God of Christian mysticism.
He's the Father.
Guess who the Son and Holy Ghost are.
>>
>>51174849
>YHWH - BUT THAT IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN GOD
Sounds like you know as much about mythology as you do about Lovecraft.
>>
>>51172284
>Clive Barker is a literally an exorbitant faggot
He pays a high monetary cost for being a faggot?
>>
>>51174946
Azathoth - Body - God
Yog-Sothoth - Mind - Holy Ghost
Nyarlathotep - Soul - Son
>>
>>51174946
Nyarlethotep and... Yog Sothoth?
It fits pretty well actually, come to think of it.
>>
>>51174764
Call of Cthlulhu
"They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky. Those Old Ones were gone now, inside the earth and under the sea; but their dead bodies had told their secrets in dreams to the first men, who formed a cult which had never died. This was that cult, and the prisoners said it had always existed and always would exist, hidden in distant wastes and dark places all over the world until the time when the great priest Cthulhu, from his dark house in the mighty city of R’lyeh under the waters, should rise and bring the earth again beneath his sway. Some day he would call, when the stars were ready, and the secret cult would always be waiting to liberate him."
"These Great Old Ones, Castro continued, were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape—for did not this star-fashioned image prove it?—but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of R’lyeh, preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them. "
"and the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom"
Now what?
Now what, idiot?
>>
>>51174957
erm, anon - i know you think you know, but, seriously - no christian on this earth who goes to church knows a single thing about the tetragrammaton. the tetragrammaton is as far from the christian concept of god as one can get.
>>
>>51175082
I know about the Tetragrammaton! And the Metatron and the Voice of God but I never went to church I just found Bible as history and the surrounding apocrypha and lore cool.
>>
If we're talking about weed-induced interpretations, I liked Trail of Cthulhu's ideas that rebuilt Derleth's elemental theory like this.

Cthuga: electromagnetism
Cthulhu: gravity
Hastur: weak nuclear force
Tsatogghua: strong nuclear force
>>
>>51175122
Good for you, sir! We should pursue things that interest us, and learn. Bible lore is pretty interesting when you dig past the surface. And isn't it interesting that the common perception of judaism and christianity is not really accurate when you learn the lore....
>>
>>51175082
>the tetragrammaton is as far from the christian concept of god as one can get.
Only if you define the Chalcedonian churches non-Cristian as Protestants tend to do.
The tetragrammaton figures heavily into Rosicrucianism and Orthodox mysticism.
>>
>>51175457
Oooh! Tell me more.
>>
>>51175843
I don't actually know, this is just second-hand information from a Thelemite.
>>
>>51175871
I see - have fun with the Beast.
>>
>>51175896
The Beast is barely holding together as far as his own mythology goes! They still call him Satan for one!
>>
>>51125573
>"these ancient ruins have four-dimensional architecture so I'm going crazy just by looking at it"
All ruins are four-dimensional. You too. The fourth dimension is time.
>>
>>51175936
How often do people slap you for being a boring and pedantic little fuckstain

Or did it happen enough times you got smart enough to shut the fuck up and just do it online instead where nobody can crack your jaw shut
>>
File: beast.jpg (428KB, 971x1199px) Image search: [Google]
beast.jpg
428KB, 971x1199px
>>51175914
Wrong Beast.
>>
>>51175936
Most people use n-dimensional to refer to spatial dimensions. Don't be an autist.
>>
>>51175936
Our brains literally - literally - cannot perceive extra dimensions. Seeing such a thing would cause our brains to try to interpret what they're seeing; but we have no experience seeing such things - whatever our brains come up with will be wrong, and we would be aware that what we're perceiving is wrong; which would feel, well, 'wrong' and weird and creepy.
>>
>>51176057
Mathematicians have, after years of experience, been known to be able to roughly visualize 4-space, but they're really quite the exception.
>>
>>51175936
holy shit
time is not a dimension you stupid uneducated ignorant fucking pseudoscientific shitstain
time is an entirely human concept used so that we can order events
you can plot a vector of something changing over time, and you can select a point on a timeline, but it is not a dimension.
time can only describe a single point, a scalar, it cannot describe a shape like a dimension can, the simple fact that it is titled differently than other dimensions and serves a wildly different purpose that currently known dimensions should serve as a glaring fucking red flag that it is not a fucking dimension, and yet stupid fucking proles with no knowledge of physics insist that "ACTUALLY TIME IS THE FOURTH DIMENSION" to sound intelligent because the majority of people don't know enough to realize that's fucking asinine
>>
>>51176390
Time is also just an illusion that simply measures the observable progression of entropy and repeating systems in nature, which has come to mean 'time'

Calling it a dimension makes as much sense as calling something like 'seasons' a dimension
>>
>>51176390
>time can only describe a single point, a scalar
So can any other single dimension.
A time interval is a vector.
>>
>>51176390
>time is not a dimension
>it is an entirely human concept
Wait, so which is it?
>>
>>51176578
The progression of entropy is real, constant, and measurable. There is a cosmic clock slowly winding down to a zero energy state of nothing but eternal, unmoving dust and blackness. Our measurement of our approaching this state, as all things do, we have developed into a system called 'time'.
>>
>>51175871
>this is just second-hand information from a Thelemite.
It wouldn't happen to be from Ape of !Th0th from /x/, would it?
>>
>>51175038
Oh wow, a prophecy passed down by word of mouth that was initially telepathically sent from a mind incomprehensible to humans... Doesn't mention Azathoth once you fucking moron.
>>
>>51175038
>I don't understand the Mythos: The Post
>>
>>51176390
>here's lots of ways it's like a dimension
>but it's not a dimension
>if you think it is, you're an idiot
You skipped the step where you explain how it's different.

>it cannot describe a shape like a dimension can,
Why not? If you plot something's change in form over time, isn't that the same as describing a shape with one additional dimension?
>>
>>51176814
Every time I see him he's on /his/ and no, it's from Robbie.
>>
>>51176767
So time is a measure from some initial state or some final state.
Sounds like a vector to me.
>>
>>51176882
>If you plot something's change in form over time, isn't that the same as describing a shape with one additional dimension?
No, that's describing the change in form over time. You can do this with any variety of variables, such as temperature or pressure.

Time is not a dimension because objects do not have a "length" along time. You can describe events as occupying or taking place over a length of time, but they are metaphysical concepts and not physical objects, not subject to other dimensions.

It's difficult to commit to words but time isn't a dimension but rather a purely human concept. >>51176414 kind of touches on this, but time has no physical presence. It does not exist in the universe, and we move only forward through time. The idea of time being represented by a line or series of events that can be moved along is a concept invented by us so that we can keep track of series of events.

More fundamentally, "time" is not a property that objects have, like length, width or depth are.

>>51176999
You can plot the CHANGE in an object or variable over time using a vector, but you can not plot the property of time using a vector.

I would like to thank you anons for actually thinking critically, and offering points and counterpoints, your posts are far-better thought out that the original anon posting "time is the fourth dimension," to gain some faint iota of credibility in an irrelevant argument.
>>
>>51143263
I like him specifically because its unsettling and weird. I don't get that nearly as much as I'd like.
>>
>>51177138
>objects do not have a "length" along time
Depends on how you define an object. Matter/energy can't be destroyed over time despite having physical boundaries in other dimensions, but composite items are non-eternal.

>It does not exist in the universe
We can perceive it, and it sure functions like we exist. How are things able to change, if not across time?
>>
>>51177138
I like how you blew your fucking top calling us pseudoscietific and are now trying to explain qualitatively how time is not a dimension.
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.