[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 31

File: standardremoval182017-min.jpg (2MB, 5074x3756px) Image search: [Google]
standardremoval182017-min.jpg
2MB, 5074x3756px
This is all of the hard and soft removal right now and almost 75% of it is unplayable garbage.

so much 2 dmg, 3 dmg, 2 dmg split shit
>>
>>51118272
New to mtg, what would a GOOD removal card look like in your opinion?

Also I don't know what your complaining about, the last couple of standard fnm's I attended I got wrecked by red blue control decks
>>
>Literally 5 different mtg generals
Are they all active?
>>
>>51119721
Doom blade
>>
>>51119740
Not this one, it seems
>>
>>51119721
Oh man, lets see

Lightning strike
Doom blade, go for the throath, ultimate price
Terminate, Hero's downfall
Journey to nowhere, banishing light
Vapor snag, essence scatter
Beast within

And there are tons more "fair" removal cards, unlike the ones wizards think they are broken, like lightning bolt, mana leak and path to exile.
>>
>>51120167
Every time I've played Path or even Swords, it has felt very fair. Even when used against me. Sure it's W. but at least there is downside to the card.
>>
Well since no one is posting I may as well post my deck
I know it's not competitive but I don't feel like shelling out another 50 odd bucks on a deck I already spent more than enough on, wich will be out of vogue in a years time anyhow. (Plus my local store ran out of copies of what I need and I don't trust online retailers due to past experience)

Land:
x18 forest
x1 blighted woodland
x1 Nephalia Academy

Creatures:
x1 permeating mass
x1 sage of shaila's claim
x4 servant of the conduit
x4 longtusk cub
x4 thriving rhino
X2 electrostatic pummeler
x1 architect of the untamed
x4 bristling hydra
x1 riparian tiger
x1 ulvenwald observer

Plainswalker:
x1 Nissa, Nature's Artisan

Sorceries:
x4 Attune with Aether
x3 woodweaver's puzzle knot
x4 larger than life

Instants:
x3 blossoming defense
x2 ornamental courage

So how shit is it?
>>
Is immolating glare the best removal in standard right now, besides push?
>>
File: en_epZvDpt604.png (175KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_epZvDpt604.png
175KB, 265x370px
>>51118272
Question pertaining to game design here:

As a card game that occasionally utilizes reprints, is it counter-intuitive for wizards to print cards with italicized "keywords" that contribute nothing to the game rules-wise?

Things like radiance, morbid, and revolt effectively put cards out of context depending on the plane; without this unnecessary label, wizards wouldn't be forced to print functional reprints if the name of the card is not plane-inspired, like pic related. It's also frustrating to see cards with mundane and general names permanently tied to the story of one plane due to these non-keywords that could otherwise be left out.

I'm sure there any many reasons as to why this is a bad thing. What are your thoughts? Should they stop doing it?
>>
>>51121169
Players prefer Blessed Alliance over glare.
>>
>>51121344
I think it's fine, they don't really make reprints that often anyway and it's important to have synergy cards for the mechanics of the block but also to make it simple for new players by having keyword for reccuring effects. Wizards owns more thesauruses than any library in the U.S.A so new names aren't really any issue
>>
>>51121169
Blessed alliance, stasis snare, and Dec in stone are all vastly better.
>>
>>51121344
It's helps for mechanical familiarity. Everyone knows the basics to what revolt does and don't have to spend time reading what the same effect a million times. The only that changes is the payoff.
>>
I bought a fatpack and a booster box of Revolt for $120

How'd I do /tg/
>>
>>51121609
We won't know until you post your masterpiece.
>>
>>51121609
Show us the goods and we'll tell ya
>>
>>51121609

That's about $10 less than they sell for, so good on that. However it's super unlikely you'd get your money back on the singles you pull, so yeah. Of course you could still have a shit ton of fun with those cards, so it can totally be worth it to you.
>>
>>51121674
What If I pulled ensnaring bridge
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-combotokens/

Seeing as today's thread is as slow as an actual game of standard anybody wanna help with my brew. I mostly play modern and limited but I have a hankering for tokens and as soon as I saw pic spoiled I have been trying to get a token deck into standard.

I've made a few changes to the list currently -1 land -1 Gideon -1 thopter -1 stasis snare.

I have included some more removal with grasp of darkness, that master card from the previous set and the artifact that gives non artifact spells improvise. The idea is to remove and disrupt until the token engine is down and going. It's pretty weak to board wipes at the moment but does have some resilience with the new enchantment almost guaranteeing a token every turn. Anyway helps appreciated. Cheers lads
>>
>>51124797
Come on guys. I just want to play hidden stockpile and have difficult to remove threats and resilient tokens. It doesn't need to win fnm or a tournament. Just not get beaten by jank
>>
>>51125563
There's no such thing as jank anymore. There is only our lord and savior UW Flash, the last deck in the last standard format.
>>
>>51125563
What do you think about Scrapheap Scrounger in the deck anon? it can be used as sacrifice fodder and can put some pressure on the opponent
>>
>>51123164
I'd be a little jelly no lie
>>
If I've never played and just want to have "fun" without dropping hundreds of dollars should I go with standard, or is some other format like commander better suited for me, or should I not buy into MTG at all?
>>
File: goodremoval.png (5MB, 1578x2549px) Image search: [Google]
goodremoval.png
5MB, 1578x2549px
>>51119721
This is pretty much all of the "good" removal in standard right now, and even then, some cards are better than others. The biggest problem is the lack of strong board-wipes; that don't have to meet some condition (Kozileks return; you have to play a 7cmc eldrazi for the 5 dmg...etc)
>>
>>51128305
Do you have "friends" that also just want to have "fun" without dropping hundreds of dollars?

If so, grab whatever random cards you like and don't worry about formats.
>>
>>51128305
Pauper is the most bang for your buck competitive format. If you don't care about competition and just was play cards cimmander is best format.
>>
>>51131138
>don't care about competition and just was play cards cimmander is best format.
Okay thank you
>>
>>51118272
I'm a rdw player and I don't play standard, let's see, usable burn in here is

- Incendiary Flow (not that bad to be honest)
- Shock (there were times shock was considered garbage, such is NWO)

- Fiery Temper (really good but has to be built around)
- Unlicensed Disintegration (needs black, requires a target, actually good though)
- Chandra (big red only)
- Fateful Showdown (big red only, also eeeeh)
- Burn from WIthin (big red finisher only)
- Nahiri's Wrath (big red finisher only)

So there is one viable 1cmc burn card and one viable 2cmc burn card and both of them would be filler in a real red deck to begin with. You can MAYBE get a third burn card if you play a very an archetype just for it.

This was supposed to be the red set? Red might as well not be there.
>>
>>51131809
forgot collective defiance, I imagine using it to wheel somebody's hand is a huge meme

but three mana eww
>>
The GB counters deck feels really strong, with Rishkar creating two mana dorks T3 you can cast Rishkar's Expertise T4, refill your hand and drop a huge threat. Like Gitrog or Greenhulk
>>
>>51130734

Skywhaler's Shot is pretty good, add it into white.
>>
fw nothing sweet for bring to light in aether revolt
>>
>>51128305
Just play with the cards you have or print proxies to test out broken scenarios

If you're not going to play autists in tournaments you don't need to worry about formats

Actually playing the game for fun (read: noncompetitive in any way) is completely up to you and your friends, and I recommend against any rules that stipulate real cards otherwise someone will be a tryhard, outspend your group, and ruin magic for everyone
>>
I feel like playing standard now. I was thinking of building aristocrats, panharmonicon or maybe g/r aggro. I enjoy proactive decks more than reactive ones, even though I feel control is going to be huge now.
>>
>>51134057
>nothing sweet for bring to light
what is paradox engine?
>>
>>51134285
Aristocrats loses scooter which sucks, but control being better really helps the deck.
>>
>>51134285
g/r aggro is probably going to be a step above playable now that flash is gonna be on the downlow until someone optimizes a new build.

I remember at the beginning of the format everyone was jamming it
>>
>>51130734
>lack of board wipes
Because Descend Upon the Sinful and Fumigate don't exist, right?
>>
>Haven't payed attention to banlist announcements
>See video in sub box
>Emrakul banned
>Copter banned
>Reflector Mage banned
Yooooooooo
Did I miss the discussion on this? This is the first standard ban in years.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09
>>
I want to either jam spirits or something with toolcraft exemplar and scrapheap scrounger since I just bought into esper aggro a week before the ban.

I'm kind of optimistic about spirits with copter gone and delirium gimped, but I'm concerned about getting fucked over by aethersphere harvester. 3 mana for a flying 3/5 with 2 doses of lifelink is hard to beat when it has crew 1.

it makes me want to try the old controlly spirits build with the selfless spirit+boardwipe/avacyn wombo combo along with some instant speed interaction.
>>
>>51135586
You are turbo late.
>>
Anybody have any good brews with Baral?
>>
>>51121082
not a deck
>>
>>51136687
baral probably doesnt go in midrange and he definitely doesnt go in aggro so I guess that means he goes in a control deck but the problem is a 1/3 body is pretty garbage and he doesn't block much. looting is gucci and control decks usually arent doing much on turn 2 so i wouldnt rule him out there. Might be good as a decent post-board tech vs control for better card selection and tempo for counter wars
>>
>>51137319
On turn 2 control decks are holding a counter or lightening to kill their opponents 2 drop
>>
>>51121609
>mfw fat packs are $60 aud
>mfw boxes are at least $175
>mfw i have no face
>>
>>51137390

He seems to be good T4 when you drop him and hold up a Disallow/Void Shatter with UU
>>
>>51135565
4ww and 3ww are kind of hard to pull off when you're getting run over by vehicles/electrostatic pummeled by turn 3
>>
>>51137790
Okay but why not just play a thing and hold back an unsub or revolutionary
>>
>>51131809
Incendiary Flow is better with the Copter ban.
>>
Lemme get this straight about removal

Black = pure kill spells and "destroy target fucker"
Blue = Bouncing shit & counterspells
Red = Hit for x amount of damage
White = send to the shadow realm or destroy/exile something attacking/blocking
Green = Creature throws itself at another and (hopefully) kills its target
>>
>>51138174
Black also has deal damage, usually with gain life, and -X, and sacrifice. Blue has Pongify.
>>
>>51136749
How is it not a deck, it's got 60 cards right?
>>
>>51138174
also worth noting blue and white have lockdown auras usually i.e. pacify and claustrophobia and just blue has tap down for pseudo removals
>>51138301
Green has beast within, red has chaos warp those cards are clearly exceptions.
>>
Why don't we have cards that have 'destroy target planeswalker' as a cantrip-like effect yet? Like, Expedite, except instead of 'draw a card', it reads 'destroy target planeswalker'.

These bastards have been nothing but trouble.
>>
>>51138549
Well they printed a second Pongify for RTR.
>>
>>51139018
We just need a proper amount of burn that can target players. And it feels like white should have some sort of punishment effect for planeswalkers.
>>
File: heroicintervention.jpg (48KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
heroicintervention.jpg
48KB, 265x370px
How plausible is it to make a mono-green ramp deck in the (upcoming) standard?
>>
>>51139281
Yeah I still wouldn't call it standard blue fair, they're experimental
>>
>>51139018
WOTC has a massive hard on for walkers so good luck with that
>>
>>51139691

Is it bad to hope for a Hero's Downfall reprint in Amonkhet?
>>
>>51139767
It might as it would fit the plane very well. It would be spicy to see the art of Nico Bollas' shadow looming over someone like Jayce.
>>
>>51136687
He should have been a 2/1
>>
>>51140106
>blue creature
>aggressively costed
lol no, also there is an incredible amount of removal that hits 1/2 toughness in limited
>>
>>51139590
considering there are no good ramp cards besides hedron archive, I'm going to go with not very plausible
>>
>>51139590
the old G/R ramp decks liked to ramp into world breakers and ulamogs chained off of sanctum of ugin. You can still kind of do that but I think the ramp is a bit worse

alternatively you can use cryptolith rites to spam out tokens and then eat ass with decimator of the provinces which is a little like ramping
>>
>>51130734
missing galvanic bombardment
>>
>>51121542
lol no
>blessed alliance crumbs to tokens or a board state
>stasis snare is an entire 3 cmc
>dec in stone is sorcery and gives away card advantage for FREE
>>
>>51139590
Your better off going mono green energy with RIP tiger. I love the fact that green/red is the only color to get instant speed energy.
>>
Some form of UB or Grixis control will dominate this standard. You saw it here first
>>
>>511453 Grixis probably, butub alone never
>>
>>51138174

Jesus hadnt changed at all, started playing 21 years ago.
>>
>>51121169
Grasp of Darkness and Stasis Snare.
>>
>>51139305
I honestly think every colour except green probably should.

The only reason I say green is that normally I'd suggest black since planeswalkers are just busted Enchantments, but black already has planeswalker hate.
>>
If I'm trying to do something in U/B should I go for hard control until I drop a huge bomb to close, or a more midrange approach using Improvise cards and artifacts?
>>
>>51147321
The format looks more like hard control.
>>
>>51147812
>The format looks more like hard control.
Oh goodness no
>>
File: 1483959222258.png (90KB, 331x464px) Image search: [Google]
1483959222258.png
90KB, 331x464px
>>51148828
>mfw land pass for 12 turns
>counter wars with shitty standard counters
>gearhulk shenanigans
>>
File: standard servo.jpg (678KB, 1085x1132px) Image search: [Google]
standard servo.jpg
678KB, 1085x1132px
Thinking about building pic related, need tips.
>>
>>51150745
Why disallow over rebuke? Disallow seems better in the side for this deck especially because its double blue and you're in 3 color
>>
>>51150848
Was thinking about switching those around
>>
>>51150745
Three mana Nissa and some amount of Heroic Intervention in the side and mainboard. Disallow seems awkward, and I would only run 1 or 2 of Second Harvest as a way to suddenly win with Mecha Production.Possibly some Slip Through Spaces to punch through with Stoneforge Masterworks.
>>
>>51150862
I would, also just a general tip for gameplay if you can slap your mechanized on the puzzleknot over a servo. it dodges removal better and gives you two artifacts even if one cost 2 to turn into a servo
>>
Brewing a U/B Aggro deck focused on evasion and disruption, any idea of how to speed up my clock? I want to cute the Night Market Lookouts and the Aethersphere Harvesters, but there are no more good evasive 1 drops or efficient 3CMC beaters in these colours I just want faeries to come back
4 Night Market Lookout
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Rattlechains
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner

4 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Essence Flux (Revolt enabler)
4 Fatal Push
3 Negate
3 Revolutionary Rebuff

22 Lands, 4 Aether Hubs
>>
>>51152560
What about throwing in some Ovalchase Dragsters to close games out? maybe like 2
>>
>>51152899
I was considering Fleetwheel, which feels like Dragster but better.
>>
>>51121344
They specifically want to make unreprintable cards, but they don't want to repeat the mistake of making the block too parasitic. Lore/Plane/Legend linked names are an easy solution and also lets you put in the staples of limited/standard play with the local twist. Also people like reprints but not too many reprints. It's fucking weird.

With their print schedule, this is the saner approach.
>>
from 1 to 10 how much of a piece of shit am I for planning on sliding a Smuggler's Copter in my pool at the pre release?
>>
>>51138174
W: Only kills dudes that have done something that could be considered bad. Kill Shot gets creatures that have attacked you. Skywhaler's Shot gets creatures that are too large. White can also kill creatures unconditionally if there's some form or repayment, so it's "fair". Look at Path to Exile or Declaration in Stone. White can also "detain" (not the keyword) permanents with enchantments or creatures, but the permanent comes back if the thing holding it gets removed. (Oblivion Ring, Fiend Hunter)

U: Only gets to temporarily remove permanents. It does this with bounce effects mostly. Blue also gets to mess with power (Pin to the Earth). Very rarely, Blue gets to "downgrade" creatures by exiling or destroying them and replacing them with something that could be considered worse. (Rapid Hybridization, Reality Shift) Blue also gets to mess with the stack with counterspells.

B: Gets the most efficient removal in the game. For small costs, Black gets conditional removal. (Fatal Push, Disfigure) For medium costs, Black gets unconditional removal. (Hero's Downfall, Murder) The more mana it costs, the less conditional it will be. Black tends not to exile creatures. It also tends to give -X/-X instead of dealing damage, but it can do both.
>>
>>51138174
R: Gets all the burn spells. The more mana it costs, the more damage it deals. (Lightning Bolt, Fated Conflagration) That's about it. Red can't straight up kill creatures as far as I know.

G: Green does actually get hard removal, but only for flying creatures. (Plummet) All of the rest of Green's "removal" is in the form of fight effects or things that are similar to fight. (Rabid Bite, Prey Upon). Green has gotten direct damage effects /rarely/ in the past, but R&D has said that they're done doing this. (Hornet Sting)

Hope this helped!

>>51154733
10 for cheating at a casual event
9 if it weren't a casual event
>>
>>51154733
10, it's so unfair dude. It'd be more fair to slip in a gearhulk

t.guy who opened two in kaladesh pr
>>
I want the gatewatch to fail and fail horribly
I want them to get rekt by dovans gimmicky thopter mass production deck
I want the kaladeshian government to improve by itself

So far the BBGs have killed literally no one of any importance and the restricrion on aether seems pretty justified
>>
>>51154733
10 I'm bringing a Renegade Freighter to keep it lowkey
>>
File: Captura.jpg (82KB, 617x430px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.jpg
82KB, 617x430px
>>51139590

RG Energy beatdown. Fuck the pummeler combo, go this way, and make sure to get 4 copies of key to the city to make those bristling hydras unblockable
>>
File: 227.jpg (59KB, 336x469px) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
59KB, 336x469px
How's this for using clues to win with mechanized production?

Should I add a copy or two of pic related?

https://deckstats.net/deck-12089196-452ff7b26b1c063d11a164e746678c71.html
>>
File: lathnu.png (205KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
lathnu.png
205KB, 265x370px
>>51156542
I don't know how I feel about Rampager.

Talking about GR energy, Highspire Infusion or Invigorated rampage for pump? This is also for the non pummeler version because pummeler is kind of a weird card I don't like.
>>
>>51156239
>no one of any importance
>avacyn
>bruna
>sigarda
>ugin
>half of innistrad & zendikar's population
>>
File: disperse.full.jpg (61KB, 200x289px) Image search: [Google]
disperse.full.jpg
61KB, 200x289px
>>51130734

you forgot me, disperse!

i'm still legal you know!
>>
>>51156481
why do people do this
you are the scum of the earth
>>
>>51158400
straight upgrade here: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409618
>>
>>51158466
discarding a card is not an upgrade in a format with madness
>>
>>51121169
Harnessed Lightning would like a word
>>
>>51158448
To win ofc. Timmy cunts have no use for prize packs
>>
>>51135586

Of course copter would be banned. A 3/3 flying for 2 mana and requires only 1 to crew.

I don't know who thought THAT was balanced.
>>
I also only started playing MTG recently and I fell in love with the double-faced cards that transform mid-match.

Are they popular and/or fit for competitive? Also, is this a brand new mechanic or was it used before in the game?

If so, was it well received back them?
>>
>>51158682
Most flip cards are werewolves. They suck in competitive standard. Flips were also in the original Innistrad set.
>>
>>51158682
Double faced cards were recieved pretty well. Lotta people also hated them but they hated it for "not muh magic"

Double faced cards were introduced in 2011 on the original Innistrad set .
>>
>>51158806

Why do they suck in competitive?

Any flip card that is seen as strong or solid?
>>
>>51158682
used back in original Innistrad, received decently well. there are a few new twists in SOI block but mostly the same deal.
the only dfc that's used in competitive play is Archangel Avacyn. however that doesn't mean you can't use the other dfcs they are still a good time, play what's fun not what's best. i enjoy playing with Ulrich for example. if you are a beginner don't fret about comp play just have a good time with cards you like regardless of playability.

>>51158844
bad in comp due to powerlevel mostly, they are also a mite inconsistent. the aforementioned avacyn is strong
>>
>>51158844
Duskwatch Recruiter, Lambolt Pacifist and Avacyn saw play. Not much else.
>>
>>51158871

Thanks. Also another question. How about madness? It's another mechanic I'm also enjoying a lot.
>>
>>51158844
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
>>
>>51158915
Gideon, Nissa and Lilliana saw play too.
>>
>>51158844
Bad late-game and too reliant on flipping them. It can hit early with Kessig Prowler and using Waxing Moon (Neglected Heirloom is nice to have equipped) but the deck always seemed to run out of gas for the final bit of damage.
>>
>>51158844
Flip cards really have to be good on their front and back to be tournament-level viable. The problem with most flip cards is development made them below the curve on their front and above the curve on their back, as an easy way to tell the player "you want to flip this". So it's really not a matter of DFC being intrinsically non-powerful, development has just sort of not done a great job with most of them.

Avacyn is the only tiered DFC in Standard. Duskwatch Recruiter, Lambholt Pacifist, and Westvale Abbey have seen some play. Huntmaster of the Fells was playable back in the day, and I think sees a tiny bit of play in Modern in some more budgety builds. I think that's pretty much it, unless I'm forgetting something.
>>
>>51158896
Voldaren Pariah and Fiery Temper are the bees knees.
>>
>>51158871
>>51158956
>>51158806

What do you think it would be required to have those card get more comp play?

More guaranteed ways to flip? Give the first form more utility?

Also, if someone tries to use a spell and I counter it, does it still count as played or it does not and my card can flip next turn?
>>
>>51159036
Still counts as cast, but even if it didn't, you cast your counter spell.
>>
>>51159059

Oh yeah, "any spell". Not necessarily the opponent's spell.

Got it.
>>
>>51158891
oh i forgot duskwatch
>>51158915
and small jace

>>51158896
madness is fun go for your life
i recommend fiery temper

>>51158956
>bad late game
have you tried ulrich and howlpack resurgence?
both sides of u-wolf are strong but trample seals it. your opponent should be afraid of double strike outta nowhere as well, hold those til the last minute

>>51159022
>development has just sort of not done a great job with most of them
i disagree. their job is to balance the set, which they've more or less done with dfcs

>>51159036
now we're theorycrafting

>>51159036
a countered spell is still cast. yes, it will count towards werewolf flippy floppy
>>
There is some faggot on youtube or reddit who said you could stop crazy catlady with declaration.

Probably desolater, he is about that autistic.
>>
>>51159097
Howlpack was a definite include. Had Flash, +1/+1, gives trample....no doubt a 4-of. I thought Ulrich was a bit too costly to me. Needed space for whatever removal R/G had.
>>
>>51159097
I think development intentionally kept DFCs mostly noncompetitive. When it's the beloved flagship mechanic of your most popular plane, having so few playable cards feels like a failure to me.
>>
>>51159160
>I thought Ulrich was a bit too costly to me
ye, but he is a lategame card
>removal
yeah i guess. keep it to a minimum though as you'll want to beat face as much as possible.
i'm a bit divided about spirit of the hunt. 3/3 for 3 with flash with a 'my wolves don't die to burn today' clause seems good but...

>>51159162
i think we have a different metric of failure.
>>
>>51121344
They did what you said in one of the earlier sets and people complained because "this set has no new mechanics"

Also they've printed old cards changed to have the italics key word, if it came to it they could probably do the reverse.
>>
So just in case my LGS is a bunch of memers and try out the saheeli combo, can I confirm my sequencing? Playing R/B zombies as background.
>Opponent casts Cat with Saheeli on board
>In response to the bounce trigger, I can hit it with lightning axe or unlicensed disintegration.
>Opponent -2s saheeli targeting cat
>In response to the activation, I can hit the saheeli with a fiery temper. This stops the combo as saheeli is no longer on the field to blink when cat token hits
>Saheeli goes to -2. Can I kill the cat in response and thus the -2 fizzles because there is no longer a valid target, or am I boned because the cat token gets made anyways?
>>
I want to build black blue control in standard. The enchantment that makes tokens when you cast a spell, all the removal, all the counters, a gearhulk, tezz and mechanised production.

Is there anybody else playing with such a list?
>>
>>51136687
URx control 2 of.
>>
When Aether Revolt will be released, Shock will be back in Standard
Can I put an older version of it, like the 10th Ed one, in a Standard deck ?
>>
>>51162131
Yes.
>>
>>51161164
>Cat goes onto stack to enter the board
>Hit Saheeli with something so she's dead before the cat even resolves and the combo can't even get started
or
>Cat goes onto stack to enter the board
>You do nothing, stack clears, cat is placed on the board
>New Stack begins, leading with the cat's ability
>You put removal on top of the stack targeting the cat
>The cat is removed, but the ability is not dealt with directly as it has already triggered
>Saheeli is exiled and returned with no cat to duplicate but still full, original loyalty counter. The combo cannot continue
or
>Cat lands on the board
>Cat's ability resolves blah blah
>Saheeli attempts to -2 on the cat
>Planeswalker abilities, like all non-mana abilities, use the stack. They are also independent of their sources on the stack so if you kill the planeswalker or creature in response to its ability the ability will still resolve normally
>The cat is duplicated, but Saheeli is dead, and the combo cannot continue
>>
File: GB Counters.png (61KB, 1092x518px) Image search: [Google]
GB Counters.png
61KB, 1092x518px
How do you guys feel about this GB Constrictor Deck?
>>
>>51145375
With Emrakul gone, Uxx control lost its worst matchups.
>>
>>51162562
>Naming decks after one card in it when it isn't even a combo deck
Hearthstone please go.
>>
>after months of inactivity, the standard thread is thriving
This gives me hopes for the revival of my LGS
>>
>>51163006
>4chan reveling in a shitstorm
Movie at 11.
>>
>>51162901
Chill your autism.
>>
>>51118272

>We want the format to be all about planeswalkers and sorc speed removal
>>
>>51121082

How is this pile of cards even supposed to play? It's an unplayable mess.
>>
>>51163606
Woah, there friend. Good sorc speed removal? You do realize that sort of toxicity would make Timmy feel bad after he loses his 20 mana cost Dragon Emperor Jace Rhino to some unfun mechanic like removal.

Glad we are moving into the future of only creatures with everything stapled onto them and Planeswalkers. Truly the apex of strategy
>>
>>51163677
>blames the removal issue on big timmy creatures.
The issue isn't big creatures though (basides memerakul), it's all these hyper efficient 1-4 drops that turns every deck into "Curve out midrange" while Ramp gets left in the dust because aggro shits on it hard.

Timmy's still never getting to play his 20 mana Oath of Dragon Emperor Jace because he's getting killed turn 4 by Chandra's Smuggler Copter MK II hitting for 20.
>>
>>51163606
Why is WotC policing the fuck out of standard and future card designs?

They must realize by now that all-midrange MtG is actually a terrible fucking game that not many people actually enjoy
>>
>>51162562
Justify why you'd want to play this instead of GB Delirium.
>>
WIZARDS WANTED TO BAN GIDEON BUT DIDN'T WANT TO COMPLETELY PISS PEOPLE OFF WITH A $200 BAN
>>
>>51164799
Proofs?
They really should have banned Gideon though.
>>
>>51164825
See?
>>
>>51164843

I'm new to standard. Why do we want Gideon banned? Is white that strong in standard? In modern it's not that great of a colour bar path.
>>
>>51165464
Gideon is an expensive card that's an automatic 4-of in any deck running white. They just banned one card for going in every deck, then they pretended Reflector Mage was the real culprit behind the success of UW.
>>
>>51165464
>Why do we want Gideon banned? Is white that strong in standard?
4 mana card that either shits out 2/2's, creates an un-removable anthem effect or sometime bashes in as a 5/5 indestructible.

>In modern it's not that great of a colour bar path
And a huge majority of the silver-bullet sideboard cards.
>>
File: cardart_ORI_Reave-Soul.jpg (111KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_ORI_Reave-Soul.jpg
111KB, 750x450px
>gideon - $28
>saheeli - $28
>liliana - $40

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09

>We want Planeswalkers, sorcery-speed removal, and a variety of vehicles to be viable options
>>
>>51165801
Translation: We want more people to play pack lottery for these always chase mythic quasi-enchantments (Fit the same niche, continuous value effects)
>>
>>51165464
He's a walker that can swing for 5 and is completely immune to sorcery speed creature removal and indestructible makes it a bitch to kill with instants as well. Every time he swings it gets that much harder to kill the damn thing because he gets another loyalty counter. He's also a token generator and an anthem provider if need be.
>>
>>51166861
Ruinous path is sorcery speed and kills him.
>>
>>51166986
Because it's creature and planeswalker removal. Doesn't invalidate his point.
>>
>>51165481
>then they pretended Reflector Mage was the real culprit behind the success of UW
Not that I like Gideon or anything, but Reflector Mage had obscene value.

3CMC gives you:
1 bounced card
1 2/3 body on the field
1-4 dead cards in your opponents hand
1 turn potential delay in your opponents plan
>>
File: rishkarpeemarenegade.jpg (50KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
rishkarpeemarenegade.jpg
50KB, 265x370px
No judge thread, saw this on Facebook.

Can you play this, and when it's trigger is on the stack, crew Heart of Kiran, then get both +1+1 counters?
>>
>>51169912
No, you pick the targets as soon as Cryptolith Elf hits the battlefield. The ship needs to be a creature already before he lands.
>>
>>51169912
You get a DQ for playing a shit card like Heart of Kiran.
>>
File: file.png (242KB, 696x574px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
242KB, 696x574px
Are you ready for it?
>>
>>51171476
I was honestly shocked when the pulled forwards ban announcement wasn't to pre-emptively ban the dog in Standard.
>>
>>51171476
don't care because the present state of this game has made switch to limited aside from brewing casual memes
>>
>>51172165
>has made switch to limited aside from brewing casual memes
what?
>>
File: 70QyoWo.jpg (240KB, 1504x2048px) Image search: [Google]
70QyoWo.jpg
240KB, 1504x2048px
>>51160247
>>51153377
>>51121572
>>51121442

Thank you for the response, this is valuable feedback.
>>
>>51172297
T H I C C
>>
>>51172225
meant to say i've switched to limited except for casual nights where i can test cards not played in tournaments
>>
>>51172746
ah, ok

most constructed formats are shit anyway
>>
>>51171476
>>51172017
IT'S A CAT NOT A DOG YOU IDIOTS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51172913
I didn't call it a dog my dude, I know it's a cat
>>
File: robotwars.png (27KB, 918x230px) Image search: [Google]
robotwars.png
27KB, 918x230px
No Emmy makes my metal man ramp significantly less playable. What new simic stuff can I add?
>>
>>51172399
more like fat-inum angel amirite
>>
>>51158380
>Sigarda
>Ugin
>Dead

>Half of Innistrad/Zendikar's population of literally whos
>Of any importance
>>
>>51156239
>So far the BBGs have killed literally no one of any importance
Well Kaladesh (or at least, Ghirapur) is currently a military state and Tezzeret is comically evil, and working for probably the "evilest" person currently alive.

>and the restricrion on aether seems pretty justified
Sram's thing of "It kind of makes sense to let the 'important' inventors have more for the fair" was ok I think but outside of that it's just weird classism, which is funnily enough the only vaguely Indian thing about the plane.
>>
>>51171438
>Heart of Kiran
>Shit
Retard alert.
>>
>>51175600
looks like anon meant to type Gisela...

>>51175815
nobody is dead though and once Tezzeret fucks off Kaladesh will be just the same as before
>>
>>51176766
>and once Tezzeret fucks off Kaladesh will be just the same as before
because the jacetice league probably stops (some) of his plot and democracy and egalitarianism and all that jazz that's gonna be pushed by the renegades
>>
i really want a deck for this guy but he's a dead turn 3 play
>>
>>51176799
edna mode has haste, you can hit in for 2 at least. i'm thinking of making a deck with that card, cletus of ghet and ayylmao for a kind of aristocrats sacrificing build
>>
>>51176799
Goddamn, Magic loves their copy-pasted "so-and-so isn't fond of subtlety" flavor text.
>>
>>51178401
I like gatsby, I think he's a decent character.

Can't wait for him to turn full evil or something because creative always has to fuck things up.
>>
File: avHnbUZ[1].gif_noredirect.gif (241KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
avHnbUZ[1].gif_noredirect.gif
241KB, 300x300px
>>51179392
>he
THEY
>>
>>51179392
>thinking they'd ever make the agender-but-still-gay-somehow evil

No way they're risking it when they lean on the aetherborn so much for easy approval from gender hipsters.
>>
File: file.png (173KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
173KB, 265x370px
>>51179776
The other life drainer's flavor text makes it seem like it's some drug you get addicted to.
>>
>>51179776
Also if anything they're straight, he had some inner monologue about how he wanted to fuck nissa but didn't have a dick.
>>
Hi guys. I wanna try a more control approach in standard this season. Always been an aggro baby and it's time to play a real game. I'm interested in metallurgical summonings blue black deck.

I have a few questions. The most current lists runs a shit load of removal, seeing as copter is gone and ur will be on the rise, maybe the deck will need more counterspells than removal?

Also I'd like to know what you guys think about adding tezz to that deck? And maybe mechanised production in the SB as an alternative win con?

Lastly mechanised production, I know bant colours will probably support that card better but what about epser? Thraben inspector is baller
>>
>>51180101
>Also I'd like to know what you guys think about adding tezz to that deck?
He's not for control unless you add the duel deck one and have your only artifacts be gearhulks, +1 draw a gearhulk is decent but 6 mana might be a bit much.

>Mechanised production
Trash.
>>
>>51180969
OK sounds fair. I'm going to test the 4 mana tezz but you're probably right.

Is there any other spice I could be looking at?

Here's a list of what I'm messing around with. Kinda new to the concept of control.
>>
>>51181407

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tezz-summons/
>>
File: 18792654.jpg (2MB, 1200x1134px) Image search: [Google]
18792654.jpg
2MB, 1200x1134px
as someone who runs this deck what cards in aether revolt should I be looking forward too?
>>
>>51181473
>>51181407
Put on of your Transgress the minds into the sideboard along with Conrim suspicions, maindeck Yahenni's Expertise.
I'd probably try to make room for four copies of Y. Expertise honestly, board wipes are bread and butter of control decks so you can stabalize the board instead of throwing 1-for-1 removal at every single small earlygame threat against an opponent that might be casing multiple threats a turn.
Although I'm not sure if there's better boardwipes in u/b in standard right now, if there is you'd probably want at least 2 if they cost say 5 mana, Planar Outburst is a good example but it costs WW so obviously, not for your deck.
>>
>>51181689
Swapping Larger Than Life for the 1G +3/+3 and gain EE might be worth it, will still be worth +4/+4 on the Longtusk Cub plus gives you Two activations of Voltalic Brawler and gets you almost an extra activation of Pummeler or Hydra. All around solid card.

Heroic Intervention could be run in the sideboard possibly if your meta is mostly creature removal focused, so that you can have an easier mana base instead of neading to have a fucking Island in your sideboard, but it's only marginally better than Blossoming Defense in that it protects from enemy blockers being flashed in or something.

Invigorated Rampage is also an interesting option in that it's A power only buffing Larger then Life you can split over two different attackers, so you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.
>>
Do you guys have any experience with cheap chink sleeves? Looking at this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-pack-free-shipping-black-magic-the-gathering-dices-bag-pocket-for-board-game-dice-DND/32319184924.html and it's 1800 sleeves for 27 euros, free shipping.
>>
>>51181936
does Greenbelt give you 2E for 1G for free or is the "can't" force you to pay E?
>>
>>51181689
The giant growth that generates energy for 2
>>
>>51182004
You mean the elephant? If you have two or more energy available, you HAVE to pay 2 energy to the elephant.
>>
>>51181874
Alright sounds good. I do like the one confirm suspicion, it creates a fair bit of advantage. Helps me draw into a gear hulk or something threatening.

Also it'd be nice to have something to play of yahennis expertise too.
>>
>>51182058
had a feeling it wasn't that easy
>>
>>51182137
It's a one mana way to ensure you're never at 0 energy though. And then it's also a 3/4 for 1 I guess.
>>
>>51180101
>Lastly mechanised production, I know bant colours will probably support that card better but what about epser? Thraben inspector is baller
Bant Mechanized Clues
>>
>>51183062
>>51183062
I m not the biggest fan of green desu which I know is absurd as production will go off crazy with some of the clue spells and that one green spell that copies the tokens you have. I'd like to atleast try and build esper production if just for the meme potential.

Anyone care to help as the thread is rather slow today
>>
>>51176799
I already have a deck idea for him where he's not a dead play even if there are blockers,:p
[Spoiler] BG aristocrats[/spoiler]
>>
>>51185039
Black white fabricate tokens with that new enchantment
>>
>>51185114
I don't play white
But my deck ideas so far are
BG aristocrats, with *infinite* combo with paradox, cryptolith, and duskwatch.
Jund (in general)
Ur artifact prowess
RG stompy
RG energy aggro
BR artifact aggro
And whatever janky decks I can think of
>>
>>51185164
With the new enchantment you can make yahenni invincible every turn. Playing some of the cheap token making spells allows her to be aggressive. Then you just pack a fuck ton of removal. I've been shitting on people since the enchantment was release. You can get so much fodder to sac and it's never going to be an actual creature. But I get it, I don't play green. Too much turning em sideways
>>
File: 1483713865301.png (231KB, 400x393px) Image search: [Google]
1483713865301.png
231KB, 400x393px
>>51185190
>Her
>>
File: Image.png (130KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
130KB, 223x311px
Why Torrential Gearhulk gone up?
>>
>>51181936
Wouldn't the loss of Larger Than Life lose him access to trample? Which from what I can gather would be essential for his deck?
>>
>>51185559
Ah yeah, I forgot about trample, true
Maybe you just Run both of them
>>
>>51173096

add a void winnower
>>
File: 129.jpg (51KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
129.jpg
51KB, 265x370px
>>51183407

With esper colors you might want to use servos instead of clues, there are some really good cards with fabricate and servo producers in black
>>
>>51185190
If you mean stockpile as "the new enchantment" all the "revolt every turn" cards are your end step only.
>>
Where does G/B delirium stand after the Emmy ban?
I skipped playing in Kaladesh standard but still have the deck from Eldritch standard. Still T1? What finisher replaces Emmy?
>>
File: chrome_2017-01-13_18-29-38.jpg (221KB, 1274x719px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-01-13_18-29-38.jpg
221KB, 1274x719px
Come on fa/tg/als let's make splinter twin a thing
>>
>>51158380
Sigarda isn't dead faglord
>>
>>51185493
I thought it was a girl too when I first saw the card
>>
>>51186328
Let's start with the easy stuff.
Wandering fumaroles, main board dispel, one or 2, and ugh, ugh, UGH!? We going all combo or just throwing this in as a win con for jeskai control?
>>
>>51186249
Just grind it out I guess with noxious gearhulk and spooder queens.
>>
>>51186328
This is why I stopped playing MTG. They just stopped trying to fit mechanics and flavor together at all. How does a cat blink you?
>>
>>51156610
Why bother with Clues over Servos or Thopters?
>>
>>51186753
Its a mythical beast which looks to have a gold collar meaning it is revered.

Im not sure why that is difficult
>>
>>51186717
Good question. It's hard to imagine how to build this deck.

I think that the safer way is to simply have a value deck, contrarely to a deck that wants to win fast? A control shell seems fine.

Do we have enough restoration-effects to have more value out of Saheeli?
>>
LGS is increasing price of pre-release on sunday from 35CAD(26us) (tax include) to 39CAD(30us) (also tax include)

Reason given: "We aren't making enough from pre-release sales."

Thoughts?

I was debating going, still thinking about going but price hike is almost enough to change my mind.
>>
>>51185812
What I had in mind.

Thraben inspectors
Some counters
Nice removal package
Cheap artifacts with etb effect and a ltb effect
Production
Trafficker
Stockpile
Servo making cards (fabricate, that sorcery etc)

It's mostly for fun and to get a few grains of salt from my friends.
>>
File: 20170113_124131.jpg (3MB, 1120x2785px) Image search: [Google]
20170113_124131.jpg
3MB, 1120x2785px
>>51187355
>I used U/R control as a jumping off point.
This is what I've come up with so far. Keep in mind it could still be better, however in its current state it's got a 65% win rate. Still could be better.
The most desirable part of this build is to easily "morph" the deck (similar to some legacy control) where you can side out pieces of the combo to go full control, honestly that's probably the reason this list is doing well atm.
Sorry about pic of computer screen (at work)
>>
I've been following along with set releases but I haven't really played or watched much of anything since... probably Oath of the Gatewatch
The post-ban standard looks like it might be interesting but I'm having trouble getting back into the swing of deckbuilding
what do?
>>
>>51186868

There's a lot of damage-based removal and clues dodge that

I can also use them to draw more cards
>>
File: 5.jpg (58KB, 336x469px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
58KB, 336x469px
jesus christ rudy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikA-DncQfI
>>51187750

Sounds good. Remember pic related is legal if you want to bounce non-creatures
>>
File: 1481556947770.jpg (11KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
1481556947770.jpg
11KB, 250x202px
>>51190357
Fake. I'm calling it. It ain't Christmas anymore senpai
>>
>>51187695
It all depends on how much you want to support that store and how many lgs's in your area are doing it. Still changing prices is a shitty thing to do.
>>
>>51187695
Usually when my LGS increases prices. They do by adding some extra booster packs into the prize pool.
>>
I'm completely new to MTG.
Could someone run through the essentials? I've played like 3 games with my friends on their decks and still have close to no idea what's going on.
>>
>>51192948
The best way to learn the basic tropes of the game is by playing it on pc. Get Magic:Duels on Steam or iOs. It has a good tutorial that will serve to teach you most of the mechanics of the game.
>>
File: Smuggler's Copter_KLD.jpg (30KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Smuggler's Copter_KLD.jpg
30KB, 223x311px
RIP MY BEAUTIFUL FRIEND.
you had many great names; ROFLCOTER, LOOTER SCOOTER,DA CHOPPA, and many more. Most of your friends called you COPTER and you liked that. Just like you lived your life low cost, low maintenance, and always finding the solutions to everyone's problems but your own.
You will be missed.
Don't worry old friend for there is salvation in the eternal life forever and ever, amen.
>>
would a second mimic get counters from the first mimic already on the field?
>>
File: Jund.jpg (356KB, 967x659px) Image search: [Google]
Jund.jpg
356KB, 967x659px
Here's my first draft for a Jund Counters deck, looking for some advice moving forward. You'll find the deck is pretty consistent and aggressive and can draw some stupid openers thanks to Winding Constrictor

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-01-17-when-in-doubt/
>>
>>51187695
>39 CAD
Fuck those fuckers.
>>
File: 126346_200w.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
126346_200w.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
I hope you dudes plan on getting your playsets.
>>
>>51198791
fucking god damn it, she's going up. i wanted this for my rogue tribal
>>
>>51199081

She'll drop low right after release, but as soon as a bunch of tournament decks show up with her as a 4x you can bet it's going to be $5 minimum.

The good news is she won't see play outside of Standard so that should keep the price down.
>>
>>51193807
That was beautiful. Thanks, I think we all needed that
>>
File: 200.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
Just got 2 Lumbering Falls and 2 Botanical sanctum at a lower than the usual market price. local shops where I live tend to look at Starcity games for prices

I haven't play standard for a while, what Blue/Green archetype can I build? Thinking of creating a Energy deck but kind of iffy because Energy seems to be only a thing in Kaladesh and won't be useable in other non-rotating format.
>>
>>51159097
Mari, is that you?
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.