[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creating the map of the Imperium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Imperium.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Imperium.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
Ave, los/tg/uardsmen.

I am looking for an advice on how to make turn unquantifiable into quantifiable. One of the great things about 40k universe is how vast it is and how hard it is to describe the size of the Imperium - it gives a lot of space for creative freedom. However I am currently running an online game where it might possibly become relevant to have a map of the whole Imperium, as I intend to push past the 999.M41 and as Imperium starts falling apart/launches a new great crusade, it might become relevant how exactly

I was thinking of splitting Imperium into around 300 Sectors:
Segmentum Solar: 30
Ultima Segmentum: 110
Segmentum Obscurus: 40
Segmentum Tempestus: 40
Segmentum Pacificus: 30
Lost sectors/unexplored space/galactic rim: 50

Lexicanum has around 60+ Sectors named and listed listed, the rest would be created.

Do you think this is a reasonable representation of the Imperium that a High Lord of Terra would have to work with? I assume that there are thousands more "sub-sectors" or sectors of smaller significance, but those are simply are not listed as they are not important enough.

How would you imagine/what advice would you give for a grand strategy narrative/gameplay on such a scale?

Finally, feel free to suggest Sectors of your own. Name, a couple of sentences about a sector. While with this math I assume that each Sector on average has 4000 inhabited worlds, feel free to ignore this as the importance is not the number of worlds, but their strategic significance, etc.
>>
Bump for interest. If you pull this off, it would be fantastic for Rogue Trader games
>>
>>51113190
you sure those sector numbers are right
>>
File: astartes_by_fonteart-d67ski4.jpg (611KB, 1024x1300px) Image search: [Google]
astartes_by_fonteart-d67ski4.jpg
611KB, 1024x1300px
>>51113300
I am running a Space Marine Chapter simulation on /qst/, but the principle is similar, so yeah, I would like it to be transferable to other games. It would be ideal if we could get a drawfag or something.

>>51113427
You tell me. That's my guesstimate for what seems reasonable and still manageable for gameplay reasons, but I am open to criticism if you have a better suggestion regarding numbers/ proportion.
>>
>>51113190
Name: Sector Redrax
Size: 3711 worlds
This is a sector in Ultima Segmentum, relatively close to the realm of Ultramar. It is primarily known for being one of the areas where the flanking action by the Ultramarines and the Imperial navy inflicted significant casualties upon Tyranids. Capital world is Redrax Prime, a hive world known for it's completely hairless, neon-blue eyed human population.
>>
Sector names:

Adrastis
Volgaunt
Hellatrix
Gorgo
Maldor
Eustatius
>>
>>51114181
>>51114594
These all fit rather nicely with 40k's naming scheme of "almost-but-not-quite-a-name-from-mythology (apart from when it's important)"
>>
>>51113190
I think splitting the imperium into 300 vague 'regions' rather than sectors would be a good idea, since established sectors seem to be around ~100 habitated systems, meaning there are thousands in the imperium.

Each region can have its name of course, and there would need to be a classification between sector and segmentum for managerial purposes regardless.

Each region could have dozens of sectors.
>>
>>51115164
Possibly, however I find that Sectors sound more... Satisfying let's say. Could we just assume that each Sector represents the most important sector in that region?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.