[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to have a dmpc in my upcoming game. Now hold on, let me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: bard.jpg (342KB, 597x900px)
bard.jpg
342KB, 597x900px
I want to have a dmpc in my upcoming game. Now hold on, let me explain what I want his purpose to be.

I want him to be a valor bard. I want him to focus on buffing his allies and debuffing the enemy so that his allies can beat the crap out of it. This way, he won't steal the thunder from any of them (most common issue I see from dmpc's) and will instead make them better all around.

Not only that, but he will often recant the stories of legendary heroes and liken the party to them, inspiring them.

Am I bad for wanting to do this, or are there just necessary precautions I should take?
>>
>>51095024
>I want to have a dmpc in my upcoming game.
Don't

>Now hold on-
No. DMPCs are awful concepts. Do not put him in the game.
>>
>>51095056
/bread
>>
File: 1407955331589.png (140KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1407955331589.png
140KB, 500x500px
You seem to be on the right path, being the last link in the chain of command and knowing to step away from the action are kays to a good DMPC, at least your character concept fits the bill
The biggest issue is when yu're in combat trying to be impartial to who do the enemies attack maybe difficult.
>>
>>51095153
I usually try to go by what's logical.

If I'm a dude with an axe, who am I gonna attack first, the dude standing right in front of me with a spear, or the guy 60 feet away casting spells at me?
>>
File: banana.jpg (13KB, 211x197px) Image search: [Google]
banana.jpg
13KB, 211x197px
>>51095024
honestly you're better off calling it a "recurring supportive character to the party" rather than a "DMPC". The former is much wordier but the latter has a lot of stigmatization.
>>
>>51095024

Why not just tone down the combats for one fewer person in the party?
>>
>>51095024
Firstly,
>>51095056
This.

Why not just have him as an NPC that follows the party around? He doesn't fight, he just travels in their wake and writes down the stories they tell him. When they arrive someplace, the previous set of stories are his new material.
>>
>>51095024
Sounds really fun, OP
You're literally making the antithesis of what people criminalize as a DMPC, which is an NPC that robs value from the group.

In a somewhat goofy turn, I'm going to give my players a combat-oriented character to help out with some situations. My players all chose very interesting concepts but none of them are optimized for fighting of any kind (somewhat risky in this setting, no matter how I modify their "path").

>>51095534
I hate that DMPC has come to include, "an NPC that travels with the party", instead of sticking to the more pejorative, "NPC that robs value from the party".
>>
>>51096490
Could just make it an NPC who helps the party, but in such a minimal way that he may as well not have shown up in the first place, but still reaps some sort of benefit from it all.

A mooch.
>>
I kind of have a dm pic in my campaign but the party asked him to join their shit. I let them play the character during combat but I role play him otherwise
>>
>>51095056
this
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.