[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon tabletop adventures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Greetings.

A few friends of mine asked me to run a Pokemon rpg based on the "Pokemon Tabletop Adventures" system.
I think it might be a fun idea, but I'm sort of afraid that it'll just be generic gameboy-ish exp-grinding, whereas what I'd like to aim after is an immersive experience when I host a game.

So here's what I'm asking:
Any of y'all got any ideas to make the setting more interesting or more immersive?

So far I've thought of confronting unanswered questions beforehand, like "why does a pokeball go small", "why bother getting badges", "how does hms/tms work", and such.
>>
Also adding, I've thought about running a scenario where death is a very real thing, saw a thread about such a scenario a while back, and thought it sounded like an interesting spin
>>
>>51091107
>>51091122
I feel like you're missing the point of Pokemon. Your players likely don't want a dark and complex tale, they want to have cool adventures in a lighthearted world with a group of other awesome people and their pokemon.

It's a noblebright setting. Them's the breaks. If you try to bend it away from that, it tends to lose the Pokemon feeling, and it's something I've never seen done well.

It's up to you to find a way to make that immersive without making it dull or grim. Answering random questions also seems like an odd way to do it.
>>
Make up a plot that would make your players and their character interested. That would be enough for avoiding generic exp-grinding
If I were your player, I wouldn't really care about how pokeball/tms and similar things works, but that's me. I find Polemon to be more about an adventure and having a cheerful theme overall
>>
>>51091122
Death is already a very real thing in PTA. It's a rocket tag system.
>>
>>51091107
Run the better Pokemon Tabletop United. It's an updated version that is easier to run.

It's still a lot of paperwork, but it's less than PTA.

I think a story about fighting "Team Badguys" would be cool. Maybe steal some anime episode plots about pokemon of the week problems.
>>
>>51091330
I think you make a good point, I need to check what my friends expectations are
>>
>>51091107

Death in the PTA/PTU system is a possible scenarios (explosion as move is outright lethal), but the game shouldn't concentrate on that.
There are many things one should consider, depending on what your players want.
In your case, I'd concentrate less on badges, league and whatnot, and go more for exploration.
Have an unknown land, and show the mysteries it can hold: pokemon like people got their own personalities and habits. Make them search for rare pokemon, make them hear legends that needs to be investigated, make them find odd situations in the wilderness.
The pokedex, even without considering the grimderp parts of it, is a goldmine of plot hooks.
Maybe you could have some NPC that wants to investigate how truthful some pokemon entries are, and sends the party to find out.
Sky's the limit in there.

I'll throw you a link that might give you a few ideas: it's a dead blog, but it got some great ideas.
See if it helps.

http://dailypocketmonster.tumblr.com/
>>
>>51091689
great answer, thanks alot
>>
>>51091881

No prob.
I always wanted to play/DM a PTU game, but none of my tabletop friends like pokemon (or even the concept of 'mon' games), so I got plenty of ideas thrown in the trash.
Hopefully you'll be luckier than me.
>>
What's the best Pokémon system?
>>
>>51092326
best is difficult to quantify in this situation as there is currently no pokemon system worth the kinkos paper it's printed on.

PTU seems to be the most played, but it's a crunchy clusterfuck.
Pokeroll is usable and your better choice if you want a mystery dungeon game but also has it's flaws.
Otherwise, just use a generic system or Monsters and other Childish Things.
>>
>>51092684
What would the flaws of Pokerole be? I'm a bit tired of needing no less than five spreadsheets open to run a combat encounter in PTU.
>>
>>51091107
Just come up with a criminal organization and a reason the PC's might want to stop them. Even if they're about as complex as "Team Blasto, Rocketing off again"
>>
>>51091107
If you're worried about XP grinding you can focus more on light plot and adventure stuff in the vain of the show with occasional battles scattered in between
>>
>>51091107
>So far I've thought of confronting unanswered questions beforehand, like "why does a pokeball go small", "why bother getting badges", "how does hms/tms work", and such.
M I D I C H L O R I A N S
>>
>>51091107

Like everyone else said, run PTU instead of PTA.

Here's a podcast you can listen to to get some session ideas. https://pwtunited.blogspot.com/ the game is a pretty good version of the standard collect 8 badges story.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.