[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Mighty Steed Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 46

>Latest News
New 5e book announced: Tales from the Yawning Portal
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous, on /5eg/....
>>51080131

Give me your horse and steed stories, /5eg/.
>>
File: weasel green.png (48KB, 300x300px)
weasel green.png
48KB, 300x300px
>party trying to drive bandits out of a keep
>half talks with the guards while the other half goes around to the back entrance
>entrance leads to a stable
>Arcane Trickster sends his familiar (a weasel) in under the back entrance doors, fully stealthed
>commands him to run up the leg of a horse
>horse gets spooked
>lashes out with a hoof attack
>critical hit
>bandit immediately killed by spooked horse burst out of the stable and trampling him to death before a single shot is fired
>>
>>51085149
That's a good player and an even better DM. I'm glad you can enjoy quality games.
>>
My Druid ride his raven familiar as steed while he's wildshape in a mouse form.

he is the same character I used in our mouse guard campaign
>>
File: crazedscientist.jpg (275KB, 750x958px) Image search: [Google]
crazedscientist.jpg
275KB, 750x958px
Alright /5eg/. My players got a Oasis Vampire in a bag of holding, don't ask how, and the only difference between that and a regular vampire is that it's a desert vampire and it can walk in sunlight and it has a sand form instead of a mist form, and it absorbs moisture through its bite instead of blood (inflicting exhaustion on failed con saves).

It is now residing in my Level 3 Player's bag of holding in its sand form and technically by RAW it will die in two hours from not returning to its place of rest, but that is kind of boring.

Any suggestions for what I should do with it? Or should I just let it die inside (they don't really know it's a vampire)
If it factors into your decisions, there is also 100 pounds of rot grubs inside the bag.
>>
>>51085251
Two options I can think of. One, let the vampire hibernate as sand until they let it out. Maybe it needs a little moisture before it comes back to, uh, undeath

Second option, if you're feeling nasty have the vampire die but before doing so, turn all the rot grubs into vampiric rot grubs that can fly and burrow into their victims and turn them into vampires. Unleashing that shit in the middle of a town could fuck up the entire place.
>>
>>51085251
Rot grubs eat the sand, become vampiric super-grubs.
>>
What's the tankiest possible Sorcerer you can make? Shadow Sorc seems the obvious choice for that "lmao fuck dying" ability, but what kind of multiclassing cheese can you make?
>>
>>51085251
Why can't the vampire just mistform out of the bag?
>>
>>51085446
Draconic has that extra AC and hit point.
>>
>>51085446
6 levels of paladin for Charisma to saving throws would be a good start.
>>
>>51085509
Why not seven for that aura?
>>
File: eldritchbrassdragonborn.png (610KB, 1280x466px) Image search: [Google]
eldritchbrassdragonborn.png
610KB, 1280x466px
>>51085475
I run the Bag of Holding as not being able to be opened from the inside, which I believe is what the text supports.
>>
>>51085475
The bag of an extra planar space, basically a pocket dimension
>>
>>51085524
That depends on the archetype. Even paladin levels are better than odd levels for a multiclass sorcerer because odd levels sacrifice spell slot progression in mid levels.
>>
>>51085505
True but I think being able to just say "yeah fuck dying" is stronger overall since you could in theory build yourself to just float near death most of the time.

In fact now that I think of it, Rogue 11 with Prof in CON saves might work.

>>51085524
Every level you add puts off spell progression. Also it's meant to be a Sorcerer multiclass rather than Sorcerer dip, else I'd say Half Orc Shadow Sorc 1 Bearbearian 19 to just say "fuck you" to dying.
>>
>>51085588
>In fact now that I think of it, Rogue 11 with Prof in CON saves might work.
Why? Reliable Talent doesn't work on saves.
>>
>>51085595
Ah my bad, I thought it was "anything you add PROF to" (except attacks)
>>
File: kirahead.png (74KB, 260x247px) Image search: [Google]
kirahead.png
74KB, 260x247px
>making a new 7th level character
>looking for dumb meme builds for fun
>5th Rogue / 2nd Moon Druid
>wild shape into a spider as BA and go behind someone
>wild shape out shortly after
>easiest sneak attack of your life

I mean, its not really efficient or good, but brainstorming is funny.
>>
>>51085634
It's a common mistake. There are 3 categories of d20 rolls:

1. Attack rolls

2. Saving throws
>This includes death saving throws

3. Ability checks
>i.e. everything that's not 1 or 2

Reliable Talent only works on group 3
>>
Normally you would need a hand crossbow to get the extra attack from the 3rd part of the Crossbow Mastery feat but my DM is allowing me to use any ranged weapon. I'm new to the game and am curious as what a good or even best option would be. I know there are multiple choices for bows and crossbows, what would you guys recommend? Also worth mentioning, I'll have Sharp Shooter and with how I've planned out my build plus my DM's house rules I'll have a good amount of extra attacks.
>>
>>51085446
favored soul with heavy armor proficiency
>>
>>51085680
Get 1 more level of Druid for pass without trace. Crag cat form + Pass without trace = undetectable by mundane and magic.
>>
>>51085684
You forgot "rolling them randomly while bored"
>>
>>51085838
Hand crossbow IS the best one handed ranged weapon though. Pretty sure the idea there is to dual wield hand crossbows Van Helsing style
>>
>>51085882
I've researched it heavily and dual wielding 1 hand cross bows is not allowed in the rules. Perhaps if I have a very creative explanation he would allow it but I can't think of anything.
>>
>>51085838
Longbow, obviously.
>>
>>51085838
So your DM want hand crossbow to be a garbage trap choice? Was he playing Pathfinder before or something?
>>
>>51085906
How is it not allowed? It's a light one handed weapon.
>>
>>51085882
You don't need 2 hand crossbows to benefit from Crossbow Expert. The one you fired for your regular action shot(s) will work for the bonus action shot.

>>51085838
Heavy crossbow has best damage, longbow has best range. Take your pick.
>>
>>51085957
You need a free hand to load weapon with ammunition quality.
>>
>>51085906
Be a Thrikreen?
>>
File: meows-falling.gif (196KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
meows-falling.gif
196KB, 300x303px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Paladin,Oath%20of%20Treachery%20(UA)

Added support for linking to specific subclass filters without just a lazy number ID.
>>
>>51085966
>The one you fired for your regular action shot(s) will work for the bonus action shot.
RAW yes, RAI, no
Not like its going to break the game though

>>51085985
If they're already loaded before combat there's no problem for the first round at least
Some DMs let their players fluff around reloading (eg: tinkerer made hip reloaders) because again, 2d6 piercing damage in a round isn't going to ruin combat
>>
>>51086059
> RAI, no
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

He thinks he know RAI better than the author of the rule.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51085995
Doing gods work
>>
>>51085838
So I just talked to my DM and he said he's fine with me dual wielding 1 handed crossbows, I just need to buy my second one. So this would be better than using a regular crossbow or bow? Being new to the game I don't know the benefit of the two 1 handed crossbows. Also the reason he allowed it was because I mentioned Van Hellsing so thanks to the guy who brought him up.
>>
File: 1358482975349.png (39KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1358482975349.png
39KB, 200x200px
so i know there's like 5 levels of the Mystic openly available but is there anything on the Sohei?
>>
File: peerfect.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
peerfect.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
>>51085995
>>
>>51086080
TBF, after the kensai shenanigans, I don't really trust either Mearls or Crawford rulings anymore. It isn't unreasonable to assume that after Mearls and Crawford didn't know how their own game worked in one area, they might be similarly ignorant in other areas.
>>
>>51086059
>RAW yes, RAI, no
RAW depending on how you read it due to weird wording.

RAI definitely yes, as covered in Sage Advice.
>>
>>51085941
How would it be a trap option?
>>
>>51086136
no, just that it's a fighter subclass with psionics
>>
>>51086127
There is no mechanical benefit to using two hand crossbows instead of one. You make the same number of attacks with Crossbow Expert in either scenario. The guy who said anything about it doesn't know shit about the rules of the game.

>>51086158
Do you not understand what test material is? Crawford has a consistent record on rulings for published material.
>>
>>51085871
>then saying "I rolled a 25 on my perception roll (that the DM didn't ask for)"
>>
>>51086175
Oh neat, I didn't know they covered that on SA and in the latest errata

Either way the feat's wording was a train wreck and basically came down to DM's choice
>>
>>51086197
dang, my campaign is coming up soon

well, it's an archetype so i guess i can start and hope i get to level 3 around february when it comes out
>>
>>51086059
From Sage Advice:

Does Crossbow Expert let you fire a hand crossbow and then fire it again as a bonus action? It does! Take a look at the feat’s third benefit. It says you can attack with a hand crossbow as a bonus action when you use the Attack action to attack with a one-handed weapon. A hand crossbow is
a one-handed weapon, so it can, indeed, be used for both attacks, assuming you have a hand free to load the hand crossbow between the two attacks.
>>
>>51086198
I assume there is a mechanical benefit to using a regular crossbow/longbow compared to a 1 handed crossbow? The crossbow mastery feat normally forces you to use a 1 handed crossbow to get your bonus attack so it makes sense.
>>
>>51086188
Because there is no point in using a hand crossbow now. It's only niche is that bonus attack you get from crossbow expert.

If every range weapom can do it too, why would you go for the weapon with lowest damage dice and shortest range?
>>
Hey /5eg/, what are your thoughts on Shillelagh builds? Namely, how do you keep them competitive?

I'm imagining you'd need to use Booming Blade and Polearm Master, but what else am I missing?
>>
>>51086226
Longbows need one less feat than crossbows to be optimized. If you're using your bonus action for something else consistently, then longbows and heavy crossbows are better than hand crossbow. (i.e. Swift Quiver, Bardic Inspiration, Spiritual Weapon, etc.)
>>
>>51086234
>competitive
>>
>>51086198
Crawford's tweets misunderstood core concepts of the monk class, and how they would interact with the test materials.

Fucking up that bad is not a good indicator of talent, especially compared to dmsguild material which is consistently better designed and interacts with the rules in sane ways that reflect knowledge of the system being designed for.
>>
>>51086234
They're cheesy for very little gain.
>>
>>51086224
The problem is that before this was ever published Mearls said on twitter that he'd rule that it has to be a second weapon. Crawford disagreed, and then published that in SA
>>
>>51086255
>dmsguild material which is consistently better designed

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51086234
Booming blade doesn't synergize well with PAM. Bonus attack only trigger off attack action. Casting a cantrip isn't attack action.
>>
File: bait low quality.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait low quality.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>51086255
>especially compared to dmsguild material which is consistently better designed
Alright boys, pack it up. It's just bait.
>>
>>51086259
Mearls is consistently wrong on rulings though and contradicts explicit rules in the books.
>>
>>51086244
Yes, competitive. I'm not looking to top DPS charts, but add in a strong melee presence on my nature cleric, and I'm curious if it's worth investing into.
>>
>>51086255
> DMS
This triggered me...
That artificer class which is a better wizard that have free access to every spell in the game and +INT to attack with firearm at level 1.....
>>
>>51086228
How is that a trap though? That just means the weapon is inferior to other weapons, but in a really obvious to see way. What kind of idiot would try to maximize damage by taking the obviously lowest damage lowest range range weapon?
A trap option would be something like your weapon seemingly doing higher damage, but not having access to a feat, which ultimately results in you doing less damage with it. Oh wait, that's currently every ranged weapon but crossbows.
>>
>>51085475
The vampires does not have mistform.
>>
>>51086267
>>51086263
You want to b know how I can tell you haven't read any of the recent UA?
>>
>>51086295
Because Diablo 3 make people think hand crossbow is cool.
>>
>>51086314
Stop
>>
>>51086280
Clerics don't do strong melee presence, they're casters. If you want the other side of martial divine caster, go paladin. But shillelagh works great in a pinch for nature clerics - probably even better than it does on a druid.
>>
File: Marle2.png (277KB, 430x690px) Image search: [Google]
Marle2.png
277KB, 430x690px
>>51086318
also witch hunters in Warhammer?
>>
>>51086280
If you are a cleric, dont bother getting PAM. Cast spiritual weapon instead.
>>
>>51086240
What are those feats? I don't see them on this list.
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Feats
I'm playing a variant human battlemaster fighter if that matters.
>>
Why is bigby's hand so good and makes your strength monkey completely redundant to boot? How can wizards and bards keep getting away with this?
>>
>>51086376
Swift Quiver and Spiritual Weapon are spells
Bardic Inspiration is a Bard ability
>>
>>51086354
That's damn good advice, and exactly what I was looking for. Spiritual weapon also doesn't require concentration, so if you precast shillelagh, you can add something else, like spirit guardians, into the mix.
>>
>>51086407
(You)

It's a 5th level spell that requires concentration and only lasts a minute
>>
>>51086436
How many times per day does your barbarian need to stack boulders for more than a minute?
>>
I've heard that Lore Bard is this edition's standout class. What makes Bard so goshdarn good, and is it such a big difference compared to the other base classes that one may consider toning down some of their features?
>>
>>51086445
Why is it a sin for a powerful spell to be better than a single person at stacking fucking boulders?
>>
>>51086464
Lore bards can gain access to any spell in the game, starting at 6th level. This makes them extremely versatile. Their 3rd-level debuff abilities and skills are nothing to sneeze at, either.

However, they're not so versatile or strong in nay single area that they can overshadow any other class for long. Their spell-stealing is still limited enough that any single bard won't be outshining other classes. Bards shine best in a party they can support.
>>
>>51086418
Unfortunately none of those apply to my fighter. Knowing my class and race of variant human allowing me to get crossbow mastery and sharpshooter somewhat early, what weapon would you recommend?
>>
>>51086584
If you're still the same anon as >>51085838
then Heavy Crossbow is the best damage, since your DM is letting you do the bonus action with any ranged weapon.

Otherwise, it's a single hand crossbow.
>>
File: ssaq.jpg (365KB, 707x707px) Image search: [Google]
ssaq.jpg
365KB, 707x707px
ForeverDM here.

Any actually good online character sheets that do some autofilling? Would help speed up the process of NPC creation.
>>
>Cantrip
>Shocking Grasp
>Lightning Lure

>1st level
>Chromatic Orb

>2nd level
>nothing

>3rd level
>Call Lightning
>Lightning Bolt

Kinda wanna homebrew a spell so lightning gets something at level 2, but then there's already chromatic orb which works for everything
>>
>>51086628
Why aren't you just using the NPC stat blocks in MM and VGM?
>>
>>51086634
Why? You have good spell choices at level 2. It's a good idea to pick some non-damage spells.
>>
>>51086628
>>51086635
This. Use statblocks for NPCs, not character classes
>>
>>51086635
Well, I normally do, it is just this would help expedite the process of more specific or flavored NPCs is all.
>>
>>51086648
Pick a second level damaging spell
Make it lightning
Call it something else
>>
File: skelebard.jpg (133KB, 467x533px) Image search: [Google]
skelebard.jpg
133KB, 467x533px
>>51086464
Not really, maybe a couple years ago. People used to think Lore Bards and Moon Druids were over powered.

Turns out they kinda stink at high levels, system mastery, optional rules, new splat has pushed them out. Innate Magic feat(Hex) and magic items(wands, scrolls ect) replace a lot of the unique power lore bards have. Players also have a better understanding of action economies, the interaction of spells and have a taste for magic items.

Lore Bard and Moon Druids are very good choices for low magic campaigns or grapple/support builds, they're not considered God Tier anymore though. The current meta at most tables these days seems to be Warlocks, Vengeance Paladins and Ranged Fighters/Revised Ranger being considered top shelf.
>>
>>51085475
Hungry, bloodless (in this case waterless), was killed while crawling back to his oasis "coffin"
>>
>>51086634
Just switch Scorching ray into Zapping ray. Reduce the damage dice since lightning resistance isn't as common as fire.
>>
>>51086464
>>51086514
Lore Bard is the best counterspell and dispel.

Jack of all trade apply to all ability check including Initiative check and counterspell/dispel check.
>>
>>51086741
>Initiative check
No such thing. Initiative is not an ability check.
>>
>>51086717
> 5e
> magic items
> Warlock is meta
Ahahahahahahaha
>>
>>51086750
You might want to actually read the rulebook and double check your infomation before you start arguing.
>>
File: laughinghalflings.png (1MB, 1096x731px) Image search: [Google]
laughinghalflings.png
1MB, 1096x731px
>>51086628
>making a DMPC
>mfw

Use Forged Anvil.
>>
>>51086726
Another idea - reskin shatter, switch con save to dex save, dump the disadvantage for everything but metallic creatures, and lose the item damage. EZPZ
>>
>>51086750
>Initiative determines the order of turns during combat. When combat starts, every participant makes a Dexterity check to determine their place in the initiative order.
>>
>>51085108
Starting my first DnD session tomorrow. Warlock pretending to be a bard. Really wanted the charlatan background, so I ended up with the sleight of hand skill, which is evidently useless. Should I try to convince the DM to let me take a different skill?
>>
File: elflaughter.gif (860KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
elflaughter.gif
860KB, 500x281px
>>51086753
>he doesn't have any magic items
>he thinks a charisma caster that regains spell slots on a short rest and has ridiculous ability interactions is bad

What's it like over in Paying for Friends League these days? Did anyone at the table read the book yet?
>>
>>51086966
Warlock is hugely situational.

If your DM gives you short rests (or you have fighters/monks in the party) they can sling around high level spells every encounter.

If your DM doesn't (like mine), you have a pitiful number of spells and have to rely on okay-ish cantrips to tide you over.
>>
File: 1479328979798.jpg (123KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479328979798.jpg
123KB, 819x1024px
>>51086717
>Revised Ranger

Why? I thought Revised Ranger was still considered garbage.
>>
>>51086966
I think you are one of those 3.pf tard who doesn't actually read 5e rule book.

If you actually read the book, you will know that short rest should only happen twice per day (in a 6-8 encounter day). And a Wizard or Land Druid can recover their spell during one of the two rest too.

And if you actually read the book, you will know that even uncommon magic item can't be find easily.
>>
>>51086925
It's not useless. It's not used only for pickpocketing.
>>
>>51086925
Slight of Hand is one the best skills in the game and very open ended, only skill that can be used offensively both in and out of combat. It allows you add or removes items on a target, just think about that for a minute.

Some classics are slight of handing a sack over someone's head, stealing a vendor's cashbox, tying up targets with a rope before combat, stealing quivers and of course focuses/spell component pouches. If you get expertise and you're a thief, you can take a shot at disarming held objects.
>>
If I'm creating a Yuan-ti Sorcerer, do I use the character details found in Volo or should it be strictly background?

Also, what is a good background for such a build? I'm still trying to figure him out.
>>
File: weirdestboner.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
weirdestboner.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>51087034
>>
File: statblock parser.png (143KB, 756x1250px) Image search: [Google]
statblock parser.png
143KB, 756x1250px
I have just finished a parser that allows stat blocks copy-pasted from PDFs to be read into the 5etools bestiary format, with little editing. This makes it trivial to add third-party content (and future first-party content), including Tome of Beasts. The question is: how do people feel about adding third-party content like this to 5etools?
>>
Is there any class where the Kobold can shine? I was thinking of a Ranger with a crossbow or a rifle if my DM let's me, but his setting does contain them.
>>
>>51087034
It's pretty good. I've heard some people say it's overpowered but I think it's just right.
>>
>>51087184
As long as it's easy to filter out - why the fuck not?
>>
>>51087185
Pack Tactics screams Rogue in 20 foot tall neon letters, so yeah
>>
>>51087004
>The most augmented, best damage type with the least amount of overkill cantrip is okayish
>the DM dictates when the party can short rest

Your group sounds pitiful, I really hope you're just being mobbed by zombies 24/7 at level 3 in some post-apocalypse world.

>>51087052
So rare you can get them at level 1 onwards and craft them for 500g.
>>
If one wanted to play a nature guy with a great axe would it be better to go Ranger, Totem Barbarian or a Ranger/Barbarian multiclass?

I'd love the idea of last one but the "No spellcasting" seems like a pretty big hit to viability.
>>
How much experience would you guys say someone would need to learn to DM
>>
>>51087257
As long as you familiarize yourself with the rules, you can DM without playing at all. Everyone starts somewhere.

Having player experience can help, of course.
>>
>>51087236
LOL. We're done here.
>>
How do you determine wheater the the Sphere of Annihilation kills or just grazes a target it hits?
>>
File: Vanilla Ice Cream.png (941KB, 715x783px) Image search: [Google]
Vanilla Ice Cream.png
941KB, 715x783px
>>51087306
>>
>>51087270
>LOL

Not an argument.
>>
>>51085291
>>51085334
>>51086574
That's cute, pretending to know the rule. But drawing a material component is part of a spell casting, similar to how drawing an arrow is part of an attack. Both doesn't require its own action and thus doesn't use your free object interaction.
>>
>>51087052
>If you actually read the book, you will know that short rest should only happen twice per day (in a 6-8 encounter day).

I must have missed that part. do you remember whereabouts the book says that? You're talking about the player's handbook, right?
>>
>>51087242
Ranger with Defense & GWM
>>
>>51087242
Go Wood Elf Eagle Barbarian with the Mobile feat
>>
>>51087387
I plan to be a human for roleplaying reasons.

>>51087382
I just realised a hunter could use their AoE attack with GWM for a pretty solid damage boost.
>>
>>51087322
Why should I argue with you? You obviously just baiting without actually reading the DMG.
>>
What could I reasonably refluff a hand crossbow to so I can use the best ranged weapon in the game but have it not be a dumb hand crossbow
>>
>>51087353
Dungeon's Master Guide.
>>
>>51087410
Some kind of shitty pistol? A really good sling or slingshot?
>>
>>51087052
There's no limit on short rest(only long rests) and the DMG on page 84 says it's recommend a minimum of two short rests per adventure day. It's also based on EXP, not a set number of encounters.

Maybe you should take your own advice. You should feel bad, smarmy faggot.
>>
File: handcannon.jpg (42KB, 736x625px) Image search: [Google]
handcannon.jpg
42KB, 736x625px
>>51087410
A hand cannon
>>
>>51087410
Same problem here, I'm trying to be a natury elfy type and mechanical crossbows just don't fit
>>
>>51087351
It gives the example of drawing a weapon as apart of an attack of what you can do with your object interaction. Page 190.
Don't tell other people to read the book, when you clearly have been coasting on house rules.
>>
>>51087447
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/29/free-action-casting/
>>
>>51087405
I think he's just trying to humiliate you further. You have nothing to argue, since you've been proven objectively wrong by >>51087423
>>
>>51087413
Ah, that explains it then. Thanks
>>
>>51087447
And ammunition is on crossbow expert's sageadvice too.

> the act of drawing the ammunition is included in the attack and therefore doesn’t require its own action and doesn’t use up your free interaction with an object on your turn.
>>
>>51087468
That's a Mearls RAI tweet, I trust RAW or even Sage Advice way more. He also tweeted that throwing weapons can be used to smite AND used with sharpshooter, then backtracked on both.

>>51087490
Ammo makes sense(still requires a free-hand though), since historically archers held their arrows in their drawing hand. It would also kill all ranged builds.
>>
>>51087543
*Sage Advice, as in the one actually published on Wizards' website.
>>
>>51087184
5etools has done a really good job so far labeling supplemental material of it's source with abbreviations (like VGtM for Volo's Gude to Monsters), so I'm totally fine with 3rd party being included, agreeing with >>51087195 about filtering
>>
>>51087543
Drawing component is the same things as drawing ammunition. It's always a part of another action. It isn't list in "interact with object around you" table.

Remember that anything that according to Crawford anything that require no "appreciable effort" doesn't use your object interaction.

Drawing material component is so effortless that you can do it in the same time that you make weird gesture for somatic spell, using the same hand.
>>
>>51086658
Son let me blow your mind

https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random/#type=npc
>>
>>51087632
oh fuck i never even knew of that site

thanks anon
>>
>>51087642
I use it for damn near everything, including generating basic dungeons. Every time I DM, i have about four seperate windows open on that shit.

Enjoy, anon.
>>
>>51087608
>Drawing material component is so effortless that you can do it in the same time that you make weird gesture for somatic spell, using the same hand.

You're correct. As long as it isn't stowed.

>Remember that anything that according to Crawford anything that require no "appreciable effort" doesn't use your object interaction.

That sounds like a can of worms. I can already hear the bickering over what requires effort and why it shouldn't be appreciated.
>>
Tell me, /5eg/, do you guys make BBEG per-session or multi-session?

I know quite a few people like a unique story every session, but I also know people enjoy having an arc last multiple sessions.

What do YOU do?
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html#Chained%20Angel

I've started going through Tome of Beasts. Since the converter is so new and I have to add in some exceptions in places, it's a slow, one-man job. Expect content from ToB to trickle in over the next few weeks.
>>
>>51087705
Both. Episodic quests that lead into a mega dungeon as a finale.
>>
>>51087257
Build each class with Forged Anvil, try to invent some fancy multiclass ones too. Think of tropes too, like making a pirate or characters you saw in a movie.
Now play as a player for at least a couple campaigns that use spells or mundane rules rather than features a lot, this helps with system mastery. Wizards(biggest spell list, uses components, con) and Thieves(hand econ, mundane items, traps, skills and scouting) are really good for gaining mastery over the system, while classes like paladin or monk have unique PC only features aren't.
>>
>>51087632
>Halfling's Greatsword (Weapon, greatsword, requires attunement): This magical greatsword weighs much less than normal. It does not have the heavy property, but only deals 1d6 slashing damage on a hit.
lel
>>
>>51087905
I like more the
>Sword of Overcompensating (Weapon, shortsword). A magical shortsword, with a permanent illusion that makes it appear to be a greatsword to everyone but the wielder. You have advantage on your first attack made against each creature, because it's extremely difficult to tell how long the sword actually is.
Also makes you look like a badass using it one-handed.
>>
>>51088001
You can do that anyway with Disguise Self. In addition, unlike every other illusion, determining it's an illusion doesn't let you see through it.
>>
>>51088037
>You can do that anyway with Disguise Self.
>You have advantage on your first attack made against each creature
Hm... Right.
>>
What do you guys think of this guy's critiques of Acquisition Incorporated and Critical Role?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpl1QNdB37U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFaTCsZGS9k
>>
>>51088142
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QR6U1TwHGM
>>
>>51088142
I remember reading on an earlier thread people saying how much of a shithead this guy was, using fake accounts to attack his "competition" and then blaming his brother for it. I'm curious to watch, but not sure if I want to give him views.
>>
>>51088142
>I've never had people respond with "ooohhhh" to "roll initiative"
Shit DM? This happens even without an audience.
>>
>>51088174
Why would someone do that? What the fuck possesses them to do that?

>>51088176
I've watched some of his videos, he comes across as ''Only I know best''.
>>
Why isnt the DMG Aasimar in the github? That one has lesser restoration
>>
>>51088174
He always came off as smarmy and talks like an inner city public school teacher. Not surprised.
>>
>>51088189
Here's what the other anon said a couple of threads back:

>"A few years ago, he created fake accounts to troll and harass other youtube rpg channels all while publicly saying he was a supporter of them. At the time he was trying to monetize his channel and many believe he was essentially trying to drive off the competition and make himself the leader of the youtube rpg community.

>When he was caught, he first denied his involvement, saying it was just a fan of his doing it, then he had the gall to blame the trolling on his brother who was dying of cancer. Finally he admitted he was the one who did it and posted an apology video that he has since removed.

>Considering the tone of his CR and AI 'reviews' and other 'interviews' he's done, it would seem that he is currently trying to find new ways to attack the 'competition' and generate hits for his channel all at the same time."

I can't confirm any of this shit anyway, but it does looks pretty bad.
>>
>>51087705

Multi-session, for the most part.
>>
>>51088174
>>51088216
Watch this one instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUq1L9yCu4
Apparently DFC intentionally made names similar to established names to troll, belittle and insult other Youtubers. Leading to Youtubers stopping posting content.
That's the lowest of the low. What the actual fuck.
>>
>>51088226
Thanks mate, apparently there's quite a number of Youtubers affected who've also posted responses to what he did.
Everything he does seems really disingenuous.

You don't attack the people in the hobby. That's not what the hobby is about.
>>
File: 1387713305322.png (124KB, 373x344px) Image search: [Google]
1387713305322.png
124KB, 373x344px
>>51085149
>>51085233
Talking of familiars. What are there limits?

For example when a Wizard is looking through his familiars eyes, do you still use the players stats for rolls or do you use the animals?

I read somewhere that familiars can be used to cast touch spells and give you aid every turn?
>>
File: 1333015432385.jpg (18KB, 396x403px) Image search: [Google]
1333015432385.jpg
18KB, 396x403px
>Running SKT
>Players get to the Frost Giants Hold
>"We want to parlay with them and offer peace"
>Never crossed my mind they'd do this after their murderhobo ways

Obviously it got them attacked, but the book doesn't account for any alliances or deals with Giants beyond the Storm Giants.
>>
>>51088334
Deliver touch spell is in find familiar rule.
Aid is legit. The only action it can't do is attack.

For perception... probably depend on DM? I have seen people using it both version and one crazy DM that allow you to roll both Wizard and familiar perception check.
>>
>>51088488
So a familiar can give you advantage permanently.

Good thing my wizard doesn't know about that.
>>
>>51088512
Only once per round.
>>
>>51084595
I mean, I know this because I thought of such a build before.

It has weaknesses.

It puts them two levels behind on spellcasting and wizard features, even if they get two extra per short rest level 1 slots.
They have to go abjuration, which means they won't have some other level 2 feature.

While they can get a better cantrip than most wizards have (agonizing blast), it requires charisma which'd make them kinda MAD. They also need 13 charisma, so they can't dump it.
Armor of Agathys won't trigger at range. Though, honestly, most monster's main damage comes from melee. Armor of Agathys also requires an action to use, though it does last an hour if you've got time before combat. Its incompatibility with fiendish vigor is probably the deal-breaker here.

You know, I haven't actually tested it out and I thought of it as a 'just about as good as a wizard' build, but perhaps it might be even more powerful than that. Depends how the DM does monsters attacking, if they understand armor of agathys or not.

The real question is if the wizard having a spell level less than other wizards of their level balances it out. Probably not enough.

>>51088512
Better not to tell them.
>>
Tiny peeves that annoy me as DM
>player picks mistletoe as there druidic focus
>someone picks crystal as there arcane focus
>moon druids
>druids fullstop
>>
>>51088554
Where did the big bad Druid touch you? Tell us anon.
>>
>>51088554
But anon

droods are fun
>>
>>51088554
What's wrong with mistletoe?

>The ritual of oak and mistletoe is a Celtic religious ceremony, in which white-clad druids climbed a sacred oak, cut down the mistletoe growing on it, sacrificed two white bulls and used the mistletoe to make an elixir to cure infertility and the effects of poison. The ritual, known from a single passage in Pliny's Natural History, has helped shape the image of the druid in the popular imagination.
>>
The donjon world map generator is p nice for a fag like me who cant draw.

Any others like it?
>>
>DM gives a player a dragon hatchling at level 1.
>play can ride the dragon at level one but "balances" it by not allowing it to fly
>gives it dragon breath at level 2
>dragon breath does 3D6
>gives everyone else a free feat to balance it out
>I have to choose between mounted combatent or a horse. won't let me pick both because then it will be OP
>at level 3 allows dragon knight to throw there pike
>dragon has it's own action and move but still has it's turn at the same time as the dragon knight
>we're level 5 now and the dragons a teen dragon now does 4d6 breath damage can fly when riden and can enter any building or dugeon with no issues.
>I'm on a draft horse and I have to pay to leave it at a stable anytime we come to a town or leave it outside when we go into a dungeon

bad DM's are the worst. worse when you DM yourself.
>>
>>51088622
Get the other players to tell him to shape up or you'll all leave him to fellate the dragon player?
>>
>>51088595
I know it fits thematicly. I have no reason to dislike it. I just do.

>>51088564
>>51088573
it's not druid itself. I don't complain about being poweful. druid players are just always boring people that either have zero roleplay ablities or they're the same old tired druid character. with every other class you get a great mix of backgrounds and characteristics. a noble theif, a criminal wizard, a urchin palidin, a sage monk.

has any DM here had a druid that isn't a straight shooter with either no actual purpose to be adventuring or some grand reason making them super duper importent.
>>
>>51088688
>same old tired druid character

Pls describe this character, anon
>>
File: hh.jpg (2MB, 3137x4114px) Image search: [Google]
hh.jpg
2MB, 3137x4114px
>>51088688
I have a Drood friend in my buddy's game. He and this Ranger (previously a Rogue when we played 3.5) were from the same penal colony. Where she goes, the Drood goes.

He is a Moon Druid but tries to solve all his problems through wild shape instead of blasting spells everywhere, which is usually really fun.

Last session, we had to try to get into this heavily guarded Yuan-Ti temple unseen, as they know the face of one our members and would probably sacrifice him if they caught him. Ranger had a blink arrow, so could get in very easily. Me (fighter) and the other melee fags would have to run distraction. Druidbro turned into a spider and skittered across the beach until he got into the temple.

He had walking Yuan-Ti legs as environmental hazards, had to scale the steps as a spider, made web bridges to cross small cracks. It was exciting. He does this stuff all the time and almost never casts spells but to heal or entangle an enemy for the fighters to beat the shit out of.
>>
>>51088688
My Druid is a self-exile noble. He was a paladin, looking to prove himself to his childhood sweetheart in the previous campaign, but she cheated on him at the end.

He's now going full Darwin and trying to complete the world bestiary and capture some living sample as a way to mend his broken heart. and become the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is his real test, to train them is his course
>>
File: Galadharg big no icons.png (2MB, 2933x1549px) Image search: [Google]
Galadharg big no icons.png
2MB, 2933x1549px
>>51088609
It's okay but a few things really annoy me about it:

- mountains are usually just the center of mass of the content, making everything look like a big blob
- you don't have enough control over the amount of locations, they aren't in sensible places like by a river, and there are far too few names for them, so it ends up being better to just hand place them
- there are way too many deserts next to lakes and swamps
>>
>>51088714
>silent and brooding
>background "lol I live in the forest 'n' shit in a hut and I just do nothing all day
>background "I come from a forest tribe and they sent me to do a importent thing that pretty much equates to yo do what ever you want senpai like just have fun lol"
>always always a forest druid if land, though rarely land because honestly who ever picks land
>only contribution to the team is turning into a bear to intimidate things.
>has there ever been a druid to not turn into a bear in 90% of all situations that come up?

I like every class. druid is just my least fave IE the worst.
>>
>>51088142
fuck dawnforged cast, he's a cunt from what i hear >>51088174
>>
>>51088764
man thats a good ass plot my nigga.
theres an exception to every rule.
warlocks are usually the most fun dudes but even I've seen some pretty boring ass warlocks.

had one guy who was a fey warlock and he lived in a forest and decided to adventure to find other fey warlocks. that was his plot. he never talked and was stupid enough not to get elderich blast so all he really done was spam acid splash in battle. he quit pretty early too.
>>
>>51088334
Use the creature's stats and vision modes. Obviously being a dwarf with darkvision doesn't help you see in the dark if you're controlling a dog or something, and many animals have Keen Senses of some variety that you'll want to utilize.

While it seems a little weird that you, the PC, aren't picking things out on what is essentially being broadcast to you on a TV, it's better to think of the shit you're viewing as having been affected by the camera (animal) it was shot with--an animal with really good Perception and Investigation produces a clearer picture, and no matter how much of an eagle eye you are personally, you can't pick details out of a fuzzy mess.
remember that most animals are colorblind and fuck with your players
>>
>>51088820
It's not my fault that WotC made polar bears the best moon druid shape until level 8, anon
>>
>>51086136
But Anon, there's 10 levels of Mystic.
>>
>>51088820
What about
>heir of a druidic tribe
>haughty, socially awkward
>from a settlement whose purpose is to protect an elemental crossing
>on a quest to visit the other elemental crossings
>>
>>51086509
Because the Barbarian can't even stack boulders to begin with
>>
>>51088820
lord I can remember reading Players handbook and thinking. man a desert druid. that sound bad ass.

in my time playing I've never seen any thing other than a swamp or forest druid.
>>
>>51088820
My druid usually turn into a Giant Octopus or Giant Constrictor Snake.

I won't win the damage DPR against other classes anyway. Large / Huge size creature with autograpple on hit and Sentinel feat is a pretty awesome soft control (on top of actual battlefield control spell).
>>
>>51088902
There aren't many desert beasts to wildshape into to be fair
>>
File: reddragon-ancient.jpg (78KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
reddragon-ancient.jpg
78KB, 648x648px
What's stopping your PC's at the end of the bridge, /5eg/?

What does it want?
>>
>>51088216
>talks like an inner city public school teacher
what does this even mean
>>
>>51088424
>we'd like peace with the frost giants
>the one giant race above all others that wants to raid shit 24/7
>stone giants don't want to leave their caves ever
>fire giants just wanna mine and enslave people but if you bring them slaves they're cool with you
>even hill giants can be tricked into friendship because they're retarded
>but we wanna be friends with the FROST GIANT VIKINGS AND THEIR ROVING RAPE-BERG
Your PCs need to read some fuckin' books
>>
>>51086265
otoh, if you also are a combat caster (was that the feat that let you cast a cantrip instead of an opportunity attack?) the synergy becomes radical.
>>
File: balls.gif (761KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
balls.gif
761KB, 500x350px
>>51088554
>someone picks crystal as there arcane focus
What do you have against crystals
>>
> play in 3 different 5e campaign
> use the same character in all 3

It was fun. It's like I get to know my character the more I play him. He start out kinda blank but as each the campaign goes on, he get more personality. Adding in his favorite snack, food, color and even dressing style bit by bit.

Now I think it's time to retire him... but it's kinda sad to say goodbye to him... Should I play as his son in the next campaign and keep the legacy alive?
>>
File: c2d.jpg (36KB, 663x579px) Image search: [Google]
c2d.jpg
36KB, 663x579px
>christmas themed DnD night
>in a port town on a tropical island
>see a sleigh
>go up with the rest of the party
>its a dumb fucking orc giving out weapons from a bag to the crowd
>crowd is frantic Slaads and Yuan-Ti lowlifes beating the shit out of each other with their new gifts
>gives all the players presents to "fight and please Gruumsh" with
>Ranger gets a new bow, I got a cog sword, Drood got new animals to wild shape
>Orc gives "CN" Dwarf PC a new warhammer
>second he gets it he tries to beat the life out of the Orc
>they get into it and everyone just backs off stunned
>beats the Orc down to near death
>Orc goes to pull a huge Giant's Blade out of the bag
>rolls a 1 on the swing and rips the bag and it flutters off in the wind
>breaks the sword and falls down
>Orc gets up super sad and starts crying
>"YOU RUINED CRITMAS"
>leaves his sleigh and puts his head down, wandering off into the jungle

Our Dwarf literally beat up Santa and ruined Christmas. How was your last session?
>>
>>51088930
>so, Beastguy McDune, what can you do
*turns into a lizard*
*turns into a carrion bird*
*turns into a beetle*
>oh you can shapeshift, that's pretty cool
>can you turn into something that mauls shit up, like a bear or something?
what the fuck is a bear
>>
>>51089000
You must use your polearm attack for PAM's OA. This was confirmed in sageadvice awhile ago. Spell aren't legit for it.
>>
File: kyojinnohoshicry.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kyojinnohoshicry.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>51088935
The spectre of their own misdeeds and inadequacies; the crushing realization that the duality of man is inescapable
regret
>>
>>51088935
a natural 1 and a shitty DM who play with critical fumble rule
>>
File: crystal-162608_960_720.jpg (107KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
crystal-162608_960_720.jpg
107KB, 960x720px
>>51089010
that's an orb senpai. and it's the coolest pick by far up there with wand and staff.

this is a crystal and it's gay.
>>
>>51088688
Chaotic Neutral Druid X/Wizard 1 who used to be a apprentice Transmutation Wizard. He eventually went out and secretly infiltrated a druid circle thinking they were savages and stole all their tomes.

He was later kicked out the school because the head druid was good friends with the archmage. He ran away with the books and is now working as a mercenary trying to figure out how their magic works and can be replicated by the arcane.
>>
>>51089197
sounds pretty good friend.
>>
File: 1483570291655.jpg (138KB, 900x679px) Image search: [Google]
1483570291655.jpg
138KB, 900x679px
Does anyone have a good map I can give my players for SKT?

The one in the book is fantastic but it has all the hidden locations on it as well. Is there an edit somewhere out there that has them removed?
>>
File: my sides.gif (1MB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
my sides.gif
1MB, 400x268px
>>51089034
Please tell me this is fresh.
>>
File: jh.jpg (87KB, 200x347px) Image search: [Google]
jh.jpg
87KB, 200x347px
>>51089296
Fresh? I mean, the session was last week or so, but this is the first time I've mentioned it.
>>
>>51089034
Kek, we were good boys and saved Pappy Exmas from the Grumch who was trying to steal all the toys for himself. Got some extra killy swords (!) as a reward.
>>
Can Mage Hand lift and carry liquids? Can Unseen Servant?
>>
>>51088937
It means he talks down to his students as if he already knows they'll never amount to anything. Just a smug or smarmy twat for the most part.
>>
File: pile of rubble.jpg (222KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
pile of rubble.jpg
222KB, 1300x866px
The ability to clamber over this pile of rubble without rolling an ankle; Athletics or Acrobatics?
>>
How badly do Wizards need Wis?
>>
>>51089558
How much liquid can you hold in a palm?

>>51089603
3rd or 4th most important alongside int, dex, con
>>
>>51089599
Either; Acrobatics represents avoiding the problem patch, while athletics represents not being a limp-ankled faggot.
>>
>>51086224
>assuming you have a hand free to load the hand crossbow between the two attacks.

The same feat, literally, THE SAME FEAT also says "You ignore the loading quality of crossbows you are proficient with"
>>
>>51089599
No check if you take your time, either check (DC 15) if you cover it at half your speed
>>
>>51089614
>>51089620
thanks
>>
How much money is too much for low level players? 4-5
>>
War domain cleric / Pact Weapon Warlock is a heavy-armor wearing caster that potentially strikes 3 times/round.
>>
>>51089666
>>51086326
This was meant as a reply to this.
>>
>>51089666
>You can use this feature a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
>>
How much would a compass cost?

Mirror is 5 gp, hourglass 25 gp, magnifying glass 100 gp, spyglass 1000 gp.

Maybe 250 gp?
>>
>>51088902
For what it's worth, the druid player in my campaign chose to go mountain, and actively resents being in environments where you CAN'T see for miles around.
>>
>>51085108
>DM is going into surgery
>definitely missing next week's session
>probably missing the week after

What can I do in my free time until the next session? I'm craving more D&D.
>>
>>51089599
Arcobatics if you're in initiative or want to be a ninja, athletics if you're taking your time. If failed, dex save to avoid curb stomping yourself and 1d8 for the direction you're falling, 1d10 damage. Fall damage die increased to 1d10.

Falling ON rocks is a pretty minor hazard that only might kill a commoner.
>>
>>51089691
So, yeah, not striking 3 times every single round, but still clearly a workable melee build.
>>
>>51089153
Not liking critical fumbles is literally hating fun.

As long as it's not 'stupid fun' with the DM constantly doing stupid shit.
>>
File: 1479421949131.png (544KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479421949131.png
544KB, 640x360px
What kind of minions would a Medusa have?
>>
>>51089830
Blind ones
>>
>>51089828
Coincidentally, I appear to have made a Lucky Halfling Diviner
>>
>>51089845
Funny that, because Lucky Halfling Diviner is also 'Literally hates fun'

Where was it said that critical fumbles always have to fuck the player over, anyway? They can instead cause blunders that develop a situation rather than hurt the character, i.e. breaking a vase of unknown contents mid-combat. I don't find critical fumbles tend to be much worse than regular failures normally, they're just more interesting.

Or your DM might have halfling's ability only work on 2s because eh.
>>
>generic elf wizard is added to party because DM takes on new players constantly
>player decides to make wizard a massively arrogant dick
>"I am the best elf wizard in Murann!"
>has a sip from a strong drink
>"roll constitution"
>critical fail
>"you puke and pass out"
>little while later
>"can I roll to sober up a little?"
>"sure"
>rolls 3
>"you puke and then fall in it"
>next day, sobered up
>investigating a village attacked by magic locusts
>"I roll to see if there's any obvious reason for why they're here"
>critical fail
>"you look at the crops and see mysterious circles. You think the cause is aliens"
>rolls another check later
>critical fails that as well
>"aliens."

We had a lot of awful rolls that game, but no one did as poorly as him. It was hilarious watching him try to have his character save face.
>>
>>51089830
Golems, gargoyles, creatures made of stone.
>>
>>51089283
pls respond
>>
/tg/ give me some ideas for some weird and or terrible things I can do to my PCs in exchange for power
ex:
Once per long rest you may cast the spell Alter Self as an action. This ability does not require concentration. In exchange for this power you no longer have any facial features and any attempt to use Alter Self to recreate your original features will fail.

another anon provided:
Cloak that returns spell slots to caster when fed humanoid corpses
it keeps requiring more, demands player "feed" it, it will drain his blood (con) if not fed cant get rid of it once fed 3 times
>>
>>51089902
>1/day
Consider that a Warlock can get Alter Self at will.
>>
So ever had a necromancer in your party who tests the strength of his minions against the party. Maybe the party also uses them for training.
>>
>>51089902
>access to high level spells
>every time one is used/learnt, PC forgets part of their own past
>eventually they won't even remember their name

>stone skin adds AC
>but skin does not grow back
>gradually flaking away over time to reveal sinew and muscle underneath

>invisibility cloak
>X time spent invisible = 2X time their friends don't recognise or remember them
>>
>>51089283
Which map, world map? This one has a bunch of spots missing, I just fill them in manually. Never done SKT so dunno if it helps

http://media.wizards.com/2015/images/dnd/resources/Sword-Coast-Map_HighRes.jpg
>>
>>51089902
A necklace that understands a few languages and translates those languages.
However, it also attempts to translate languages it doesn't understand if it appears two sides aren't able to communicate due to not sharing any languages. It will make up absolute bullshit about what's being said, but will try to make it sound vaguely plausible.
>>
>>51089902
>/tg/ give me some ideas for some weird and or terrible things I can do to my PCs in exchange for power

Make them role play with the quest giver in order to get the reward and if they insult him, they might get nothing. It'll terrify them, I promise.
>>
>>51089910
doesn't matter. I dont care about balance as long as the draw back is roughly equal to the benefit.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161203-011914.jpg (362KB, 1566x1129px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161203-011914.jpg
362KB, 1566x1129px
Why do Necromancers spells like inflict wound deal 3d10 damage as a level 1 spell and magic missile only does 1d4 damage as a level 1 spell?

Is a necromancer simply better than other wizards?
>>
>>51089618
The weapon still has ammunition quality.
You need a hand free to draw a bolt (or arrow) and load a weapon with ammunition quality.

Ignoring loading quality just mean you can do extra attack with it.
>>
>>51089977
Eh thats the one I gave them as it (cropped down of course)

I was hoping I could get the DM's copy of the map sans Iymrith's lair, etc.
>>
>>51088820
>Arctic land druid
>a pretty damn hunter from an outlander tribe sent off in a random direction with five others to figure out what the weird campaign hook in the sky is and if it's actually a threat
>specializes in elemental AoE spells and has anger issues at getting stuck together with this moronic party who makes fun of her all the time and often outclasses her in anything she tries to do other than big elemental AoEs
>>
>>51089868
Because a hero fighter who suppose to save a multiverse constantly failing at his job 22.6% of the time every 6 seconds is a bad story.
>>
No playable Kobold for 5e? Want to play a Dragonborn Paladin who was turned into a Kobold but still retains his courage and valour
>>
>>51090043
A super reliable hero who never fucks up big time makes just as bad a story.

Also sometimes it's better that the hero has to actually use common sense and not just wing everything on 'I'm a protagonist I can do stupid shit and things can only go mildly wrong at worst'
>villain in a massive crowd of innocent people
>hero decides they'll shoot several arrows through the crowd because 'lol I'm a hero I couldn't hit an innocent person even if I miss'
>>
File: noice.jpg (79KB, 480x529px) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
79KB, 480x529px
who here wants to share there special snowflake characters.

I'll start

>bird guy
>found as an egg by an 18 year old girl
>raised by her and her parents to live a simple life
>bird guy loved learning in his spare time
>decided to dedicate his whole life to learning more
>one day finds out that bird people don't life past 30
>decides to go out to find a way to magically extend his life span.
>sends back gold to his family
>he's not even 8 years old yet.

what class do you think I am?
>>
>>51090066
Volo's Guide to Monsters has playable Kobolds.
>>
>>51090000
That makes sense. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>51090076
Maybe you shouldn't play a heroic game like D&D then. You should consider finding a new system that better suit your gritty need.

Messing up big time is already present in missing attack like normal fumble. There is no need to penaltize martials for doing their job ever more. Both mechanically and psychologically.
>>
>>51090094
but with that being said their main ablity is to cower so. you know.
>>
>>51086234
Currently running a Lore Bard build in an IRL game using Shillelagh at 6th. Weakest point is being stuck at 16CHA forever even with the DM granting everyone a free BONUS FEAT at 1st. I'll grab +2 CHA at 8th and 12th as I'm quickly falling behind the others.

V.Human
8STR 14DEX 16CON 8INT 10WIS 16CHA
1st: Magic Initiate (Booming Blade, Whatever you want, Whatever you want)
1stB: War Caster (So you can cast with a weapon & shield)
4th: Moderately Armoured for 19AC rather than barely 14AC. (HP+Shield+2DEX vs SL+2DEX)
6th MS: Shillelagh & Counterspell
Take Dissonant Whispers as a 1st level spell

Run up to the enemy and cast Dissonant Whispers. On a failed save they're forced to use rxn to move away and provoke your (and allies) AoO. Use Warcaster to cast the cantrip Booming Blade. On a +6 to hit you'll do 3d6+4d8+3 with your shillelagh'd lute. If you manage to crit that's 3d6+8d8+3.

He's literally El Kabong. This of course is in combination with whatever spells else you have. Doesn't combo that well with lots of your spells sadly. Hold Person? They can't move away- Silence? Your Thunder damage doesn't get through the Silence. Fear? -...Huh that could work, They dash and move, you dash and move up to them and rxn them on their turn. Shit I gotta try that.

Either way, at 10th he'll pick up Spiritual Weapon and (undecided) Spirit Guardians.

3d6+4d8+1d8+3d8+4
>>
>>51090115
I know I reflavored my kobold's ability of that as just "Distraction." Talk to your DM about doing that. It super helps.
>>
>>51089997
yes but in the DMG it recommends heavly stigmatizing the use of any necromancer spell. so a spell like Evard’s Black Tentacles
is a-okay with everyone but Bestow Curse will make towns people shun you.

i'd consider this rule a must have just for balance.
>>
>>51090115
Refluff it as a taunt or warcry.
>>
>>51090113
>D&D is a heroic game

It used to be much less than this. Player characters perhaps did heroic feats, but they weren't necessarily 'chosen heroes' all the time. Crit failures/successes were something that was much more heavily appreciated for the sake that it could make an otherwise stale combat much more interesting.

Many people keep complaining that 5e's combat is 'you walk up to the target and hit them over and over' if players aren't creative / the DM doesn't put enough things going on in, but critical succesess/failures make situations like that even more dynamic if a success or failure changes the situation.

Yes, 5e itself isn't really designed for critical failures in mind considering a fighter might make six attacks in a row, but I still believe it's an important game element. The DM just has to use their common sense and not be an idiot about it.

Critical successes are a thing too if you're worried about martials. Even if there's critical damage already there, the DM might decide the target's shield goes flying or something.

It's a bit against 4e's style of structured combat and more towards older style D&D's combat that relies a bit more on the DM's whims, but 5e isn't awfully 4e itself. Actually, I don't remember how critical failures in 4e worked, I think there was a big book of critical failures for each ability, wasn't there? If so, that works with 4e yet still keeps things somewhat interesting.
>>
>>51090094

Playing a Kobold Draconic Sorcerer who wants to grow up to become a real dragon someday

Level 10 DM's letting me get Dragonborn's breath weapon
>>
>>51090144
>Currently running a Lore Bard build in an IRL game using Shillelagh at 6th

You do know the Instrument of the Bards, Fochulcan Bandore just *gives* you that spell, right?
>>
>>51090218
Only once per day, as well a being specific magic item you'd have to be granted.
>>
>>51090310

Ah, sorry. We have this rule I forgot it was housed, in which you can recast any spells from an instrument of the bards as a bard spell on your list as long you spend the apropriate spell slot. Cantrips are at will

Sorry
>>
Can anyone suggest some good one-off adventure modules? Ideally single-session.

New DM, new players. I've been really conservative while teaching my players the game, which I'm afraid is making it feel rather railroady. I want to literally put up a board before the next session and let them choose their own job. Or not, if they want.

So far I'm looking at the Death House and the Redbrand hideout from LMOP.
>>
>>51090374
Could give an assortment of quests and no matter what they do on the way there they stumble onto the death house adventure.

Railroading without really doing it.
>>
Which book shows examples of monk weapons? Are monk weaponse finesse wrapons too?
>>
>>51089558
Mage Hand has specific limitations on what it can hold; namely, an object. A liquid by itself is not an object.

Unseen Servant, is a "shapeless force" that can "perform simple tasks a human servant could do". Note this is not the same as doing the tasks the same way, just that the set (tasks Unseen Servant can do) is a subset of the set (tasks a human servant can do). As a human servant could carry a liquid by swallowing it, Unseen Servant should be able to carry a liquid as well.
>>
>>51090412

I'm not sure what these players really want to do, and I'm not sure they know either. Giving them a diverse set of quests will help both of us figure it out.
>>
>>51090417
PHB. Any simple weapon that doesn't have Two-handed or Heavy quality and a short sword.

No. But Monk's martial art ability let you use them with Dexterity.
>>
For future reference, did I screw up by allowing the Dragonborn Barbarian to have 20 STR at level one? She rolled an 18 fair and square, plus 2 from being Dragonborn.

I don't think it's going to be a long-term problem since she rolled a 6 for INT and is playing it straight. And even if I capped her at 18, she would have just put the points elsewhere and just taken her ability score to 20 at level 4.

She's clearly the rockstar in this party at level 2 though.
>>
Can someone post the stats for tabaxi? Need to redo my sheet before the game tonight and don't have my copy of Volo"s on me
>>
>>51087750

I adore the ToB so thank you very much for this anon, it'll be a huge help.
>>
>>51090185
I think you are trying to solve problem the wrong way then. The DM should learn how to make the combat more dynamic.

Critical success doesn't really help martials in 5e. Rolling a 20 usually mean you are success since the DC is low enough.

Also stop being so old. You talk like an old man reminiscing his day in 'nam.
>>
>>51090185
How about, as a compromise, only the first attack of a round can crit fumble? So you don't make martials completely useless compared to casters.
>>
>>51090519

Nah you'll be fine.
>>
>>51087905
Why not 2d4? A hafling could just use a longsword for 1d10 anyway.
>>
Anons? Quick, easy problem for you; I got dared to make a 5e racial writeup for the Huldra (back-barked, fox-or-cow-tailed super-strong nymph from Scandinavia); how unbalanced is this first draft at it?

Huldra
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Fey Ancestry: A huldra has Advantage on saves vs. Charm effects and is Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Alpine Origins: A huldra is considered to be Acclimatized to both High Altitudes and Cold Environments.
Unnatural Might: A huldra's impossible strength gives it Advantage on Strength checks. It also counts as one size larger when determining its carrying capacity and the weight it can push, drag, or lift.
Back of Bark: At will, a huldra can spend its move action to assume the form of a tree; shape, species and status as living or dead are chosen each it assumes tree form. As a tree, a huldra takes up space as a Large creature, is immobile, and cannot physically interact with the world around it, although it can still perceive the world with its normal senses. Attacking a huldra in tree form is treated as attacking an ordinary tree. It can revert to its true form at will as a free action.
Fortune's Kiss: Once per long rest, a huldra can apply either a blessing or a curse by placing a kiss on a creature, a weapon, or a tool. A blessed weapon or set of tools grants Advantage to anyone that wields them, whilst a blessed creature gains Advantage on one ability score or skill check of the huldra's choise. Cursing instead imposes Disadvantage. The effects of Fortune's Kiss last only for 1 minute, whether it is used to bless or curse.
>>
>>51090477
Ah because I need to know if Monk wrapons work with the defensive duelist feat.
>>
>>51090621
> need to homebrew special snowflake race with mechanical benefit instead of refluff
> free action
> huldra and fox tail
> kiss

Please go back to your containment cell /pfg/. We know it's you.
>>
>>51090638
I think if it is both a monk weapon and a finesse weapon you can use the feat.
If something is a monk weapon it isn't automatically a finesse weapon.
>>
>>51090713
It always kinda made me wut that fists aren't technically "finessable".

Like - What sort of weapon gives your greater control of fine motions than your own hands?
>>
What will we be getting on Monday?
Fey Ranger and Anti Undead Ranger?
Weeaboo Ranger?

No Ranger?
>>
>>51090621

Whoaaaaa that fortune's kiss needs to back up a some. You can't just go around giving advantage to weapons.
>>
>started DnD about 3 years ago
>have only played 2 different characters because I cant seem to die and haven't switched
>Gnome Healfag Cleric in 3.5
>Human Knight Fighter in 5e
>decide to finally switch
>7th level
>pick a Bard
>bunch of crowd control, some heals, and one big dumb Fireball

holy fuck nobody told me how fun this would be
>>
>>51090772
I'm hoping for revised blade pact.
>>
File: hnGxFEo.jpg (11KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
hnGxFEo.jpg
11KB, 500x258px
Has anyone here actually tried the Eldritch Machine Gun build?

Asking for a friend.
>>
>>51090827
U wot m8?
>>
>>51090527
Some help would be great
>>
File: Bender-Shooting-1225.gif (43KB, 176x220px) Image search: [Google]
Bender-Shooting-1225.gif
43KB, 176x220px
>>51090841
>2 levels of Fighter for action surge.
>2 levels of Warlock for Eldritch Blast, Agonizing Blast and Hex
>2-3 levels of Sorcerer for Quickened Spell
>unleashing a single, huge amount of damage in a single round
>place Hex on a target one round prior to your attack
>fire one lot of Eldritch Blast
>upwards of 4 shots per lot at max level
>scales on character level
>quicken the spell to fire another lot as a bonus action
>Action Surge to fire another volley
>if this was all in a surprise round and you act first while you have Assassin Rogue levels, you are firing all these shots with advantage, AND they are crits
>each bolt deals 1d10+5 +1d4 from Hex
>each hit is a crit, so that's a further 1d10 + 1d4 for each bolt that hits
>upwards of 12 bolts at level 20 that all crit and get Hex damage
>>
>>51090813
Spell caster is one hell of a drug. You can break your DM plan at your whim
>>
>>51090854
Mega anon is your friend.

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Tabaxi
>>
>>51090880
> assassin rogue
You will also need to have respectable DEX and hope that your enemies doesn't win initiative roll.
>>
>>51090880
Hex is 1d6.
>>
>>51091009
>>51090880
Additionally, you used hex during your surprise round, so the assassin stuff didn't really do anything.
>>
>>51090912
Thanks anon.
>>
>>51087034
Heh, funny joke.
Revised ranger is strong, especially since no game ever goes past level 9. He might be a bit too strong with how frontloaded he is.
>>
>>51091034
Dude,9? No game ever goes past 4.
>>
>>51091025
...Are you saying casting a spell ends a creature's state of surprise?
>>
>>51091044
Hey, I've gotten to 7 once.
>>
File: 4 (2).png (10KB, 92x112px) Image search: [Google]
4 (2).png
10KB, 92x112px
>>51091044
>no game ever goes past 4
>current game is at the end of 4 with a session on Friday
>other session is the week after at level 8

Question mark?
>>
If I drop someone with Booming Blade & GWM can I still make a bonus action attack on an adjacent enemy?
>>
File: ce5.gif (2MB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
ce5.gif
2MB, 500x256px
>ask to play a bard
>DM asks what instrument I am going to play
>ponder on it
>tell him Jew's Harp
>no matter the tone
>no matter the stakes
>all you will hear
>is BOING BOING BOING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irATiFt6AUM#t=13s
>>
>>51091158
GWM procs from a melee weapon attack, not the attack action, so yes, you can proc it with booming blade.
>>
>>51085108
I once played a dwarven paladin and whenever I cast find steed it was a giant badger. He became our mascot because he was just so damn fluffy.
>>
>>51091158
>>51091211
You make a melee weapon attack as part of the spellcasting. But I'd say if it's the sonic boom damage that drops the enemy, then you can't take the bonus action, because it was a spell and not a melee weapon that downed it.
>>
Whats a better cantrip for dark places? light or Dancing Lights?
>>
>>51091344
Light
>>
>>51091162
I read that as jew harp and I just imagined a jew with a harp and when plucked it made the sound of coins shaking and he would shout something like "OY VEY MY SHECKLES"
>>
>>51091400
Anon...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp
>>
>>51091094
>feel dark magic come over me, supernaturally weakening me
>nah, must be a mouse in the woods somewhere

You've been conditioned by bad stealth Vidya to expect shitty ai. I bet you played Skyrim vanilla and enjoyed it you massive plebe.

Raw, the most you could get is two actions in the surprise round with action surge, and a bonus action to cast hex.
>>
>>51091458
Surprised does not mean unaware of hostiles' presence.

That's why normally you have advantage if the target is unaware of you, but not if they're merely surprised.
>>
>>51091133
The meme that games never make it past x level is just a meme. I've actually made it to 18 before the campaign ended in victory.

It's based on some survey wizards took half a year into 5es life time.
>>
>>51091094
>>51091025
>>51091458
>For triggering the rogue’s Assassinate ability, when does a creature stop being surprised? After their turn in the round, or at the end of the round? The intent is that a surprised creature stops being surprised at the end of it’s first turn in combat.

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf

SUCK OUT YOU RAT
>>
>>51091482
And surprise only lasts one round.
>>
>>51091522
Yes. Not "until they get hit".
>>
Why is Vampiric Touch's range self? Shouldn't it be touch since you are targeting something?
>>
>>51091525
So you get your surprise round, and now have to out Dex them to get any more.
>>
>>51091540
The spell sticks to you
>Until the spell ends, you can make the attack again on each of your turns as an action.

But yeah it's weird
>>
>>51091540
Vampire paladin horses?
>>
>>51091587
Is that a reference to the Bardic Ultrahorse? What ever happened to that meme?
>>
File: crystalcave.jpg (166KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
crystalcave.jpg
166KB, 1024x681px
>>51089155
ur gonna eat those words when Mystic comes out m8y
>>
>>51089997
Inflict Wounds is a 1st circle melee spell attack. It does 3d10 necrotic (a commonly resisted damage type) with no other effect compared to, say, Guiding Bolt's RANGED spell attack doing 4d6 radiant + advantage on the next attack targeted at them, or Magic Missile's 1d4+1*3 RANGED spell that literally cannot miss and can split between targets.

Inflict Wounds does nice damage because it's not useful against more creatures, requires you to be in melee, and does literally nothing BUT damage.
>>
>>51089869
>once had a PC in my group fail a check so hard the DM told him it was aliens
>it actually was aliens
>>
>>51090621
Fortune's Kiss should be rewritten to grant advantage to the NEXT USE of one tool set or weapon (as in; 1 attack or use), IMO, much like it may grant advantage to 1 skill check for a creature. But reversely, I would remove the 1 minute restriction.

It is overall kinda unbalanced. Most races have a +2, +1, a proficiency or two, a gimmick, and some random minor bonuses.
That's not completely formulaic, it's just a basic outline.

Ex:
High Elf;
>+2 dex, +1 int
>Prof; Perception, Elf Weapons
>Gimmick; A cantrip
>Bonus: Darkvision, Fey Ancestry

Dragonborn:
>+2 str, +1 cha
>Prof: none
>Gimmick: Breath Weapon
>Bonus: Dam Res.

Basically, your homebrew has three minor bonuses, 2 gimmicks in fortunes kiss, and back of bark, and then instead of proficiencies, it has an incredibly powerful passive in the "Unnatural might"
>>
>>51091328
The first sonic boom is actually a part of the attack, so you get the bonus action attack even if it is the first bonus damage that kills it.
>the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target.
However, if the target dies from the second proc, you don't get it of course.
>>
>>51091489
No, the idea that games don't get past 9-10 isn't a meme.
The idea that they don't get past 4 is a joke.
>>
>>51091888
It is a meme, because it's based on a faulty survey, and used to reach faulty conclusions.
>>
>>51091942
>anecdotally my game doesn't match the results of this survey so everyone is wrong
>>
>>51091875
>>51090621
Also, the Back of Bark ability does need tweaking.
I assume we are talking flavour ability, that lets your character become a tree, which could be fun, but the way it is right now, you could end any round of combat where you haven't moved by spending your movement to become a tree instantly (and probably gaining a certain damage resistance from that), and then pop out of tree-form at the beginning of your next turn, for free.
I would tweak it to clearly state the stats of the tree you become, whether you share HP-pool with said tree, and also clarify how long the transformation takes, 'cause "instantly" is fucking stupid.
>>
>>51088688
A friend of mine played a druid who was a formerly shipwrecked sailor who went a little mad and thought he was a were-crab.

I ran a circle of the land druid who was an elf who left society to roam the desert after his one true love died of old age.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>51091984
No. The survey was taken 6 months or so into the lifetime of 5e. During that time, most groups hadn't reached past 10 because there simply hadn't been enough time. They used this to conclude that most groups will never play at all with high levels.

Nice attempt to strawman though.
>>
>>51092118
You're thinking of the wrong survey. It's not that April one.
>>
>>51091883
Yeah the proc is what I meant.
>>
So I'm gonna take a 2 level warlock dip for my character.

Gonna take agonizing blast bc come on senpai.
But what about my second one?

I'm between the one that blasts people back with eldritch blast or the one that lets me do at will silent image.
Which would be more fun?

Silent image seems like it could be used for a ton of fun shit. Like hide the entire party inside an illusory boulder. But also blasting people away from me and potentially off the side of a large structure also sounds like a lot of fun.
>>
>>51092228
Eldritch spear. Spell sniper feat multclass to sorc now
>>
>>51092228
Silent image has so many cool RP uses. Also a good combat initiator if you have the jump on them.

It's one of my favourite spells. Pushing people off things is fun too, but your fighter can do that (just gotta get close).

If you are a creative RPer then get silent image.
>>
>>51092242
That extra range is never worth it in most cases. And I don't want to cheese a campaign even if I could make use of it.

"Hey DM I'm gonna stand on this tower and ping people from a quarter mile."

Wouldn't be fun for either of us. And all it takes to foil it is he throws in some weather effect that blocks my vision.
>>
>>51090082
barbarian
>>
>>51092278
Good man. The reality is that the best warlock invocations are those that give them at will spells. And agonizing blast.

Silent image, disguise self, and levitate are all crazy useful to have at will.
>>51092228
>>
>>51092278
Thats why you get chainlock and use famliar to spot for you
>>
Is Swashbuckler the most efficient way to make picture related? I assume so, as its a sustained combat Rogue.

I want to be a faggot and style on enemies with slick attacks and fuck off if I need to.
>>
>>51092874
Swashbuckler / Shadow Monk
>super speed
>super hops
>sick combos
>teleportation
>minor illusion yourself pulling a glowing heart out of an enemy's chest cavity and splashing yourself with electrolytes
>>
>>51092874
>>51093041
>not 1 dip in barbarian for lettin' 'er rip
>>
>>51093054
You need to be using Strength in order for Rage to add to your damage, but Dex to get Sneak Attacks.

And if you're gonna take one level for +2 damage it may as well be Fighter for Dueling.
>>
>>51089026
Kill him and play as his reincarnation. Have enough differencies to make it a new character but also enough similarities to remind you and everyone else that he is the reincarnation of your past guy.
>>
File: Dirgesinger.jpg (69KB, 400x375px) Image search: [Google]
Dirgesinger.jpg
69KB, 400x375px
What are some good magical secret spells for a dirge-singer style lore bard to pick up? Also, is it worth picking up magic initiate at first level to grab chill touch?
>>
>>51093264
>Sneak attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
You can use a finesse weapon with strength :^)
>>
So, what's the optimum 'generic jack-of-all-trades'/Red Mage class? Valor Bard?
>>
>>51093041
>minor illusion yourself pulling a glowing heart out of an enemy's chest cavity and splashing yourself with electrolytes
i need a way to kill something with a bonus action before i cast minor illusion with my action in order to pull this off
help?
>>
>>51093980
Lore Bard
>>
>>51093583
Animate Dead?
>>
>>51094194
Just because of the further skills?
>>
>>51093980
Bard's get an ability that's literally called Jack of all trades
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.