[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 390
Thread images: 37

File: 1453887796262.jpg (631KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1453887796262.jpg
631KB, 1920x1200px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan ..... [ERROR: BIOMETRIC SCAN FAILED]
Connected to RenArkNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>51062789
>UVServer_Locations.zdf
>Technomancers_Autopsy_ FULL.sim
>Deep_Resonance:_What_is_it.knwsft
>Dangers_and_Treachery:_AI.trid

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 20ß (aÝ% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'I̙͞'͇͇̗M͖̝̦͈̜ ̝̟͕̰͖̟͝C̺̻̩O̖̠͉̕M̟͖̹͈͉I͞N͝G̝̩͓̀ ͟ͅF̱̞̣́O̞̪̺̤ͅR̦̀ ̸̘͇̠͈Y̵̫̻̩O̼̻̼̺U̸ ̰̞"͔̫C͈̩̯͕͚H͎̳̗U̡M̘͇M̵̰̭̝̪̜̲E̫̲͢R̭̬"̴͔'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Digital Danger Edition
What have you encountered?
What have you created?
What have you done?
Pathetic Decker
>>
File: reeeee.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>51080056
>* Running
THE CURSE OF THE SHITTY OPS CONTINUES
>>
>>51080140
>The Joke
>Zürich-Orbital
>Here be dragons
>Wuxing Towers Top Floor
>Wuxing Towers Middle Floors
>Wuxing Towers Bottom Floors
>You
>>
TM book never?
>>
>>51080056
>AI can't interact with the Resonance
That is just awful.
>>
>>51080289
>wanting Little Mac's garbage after Drakes
It's for the best, really. Supposedly she said on Reddit last May or so that it would be out by that time next year, so I suppose we'll be seeing it soon.
>>
>>51080140
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51080289
It's begining to be worked on but won't be out soon.
Almost certainly not this year
>>
So, good news chummers, I've finally finished fleshing out my hospital, for the most part.

The bad news is that I think I might have gone overboard.

>About 25 doctors, each packing heat in the form of light pistols w/ stick and shock rounds and tasers
>8 professional rating 3 teams, each with 4 mooks and a lieutenant
>A few patients that have implanted weapons that could be shot at the party
>A wing that has 'dangerous patients' which are less than 2 essence cybered up individuals, each who are near standard runner level
>A separate wing that's got a few ghouls, nosferatu, and Loup-garou
>Security mage who can easily summon a double digit spirit if necissary
>very strong security spider who specializes in killing intruders with Biofeedback.

>HTR team is 2d6 minutes away should anyone in this large hospital get a call to 911

did I go overboard?
>>
>>51080808
what's the pay? and what do you intend to give them karma wise?
>>
Are Harleys in the Sixth World loud as fuck? Is there a way to make them louder or quieter? I have a Harley, and sometimes I want it loud, sometimes I don't.
>>
>>51080834

The point is to be a good feels mission (Renraku has been feeding Humanis a lot -> Humanis has been more trigger happy on the trogs as of late -> Ork underground is having trouble keeping everyone patched up -> Ork Underground asking the group to rob a Renraku hospital for medical supplies -> Target Renraku VA so that there is plenty of supplies, and the hospital get restocked fast enough not to be a danger to innocent people)

The actual payment for the group is going to be low. Probably about 60-70 grand (depending on how many people show up, which equates to about 10 grand apiece)

However, there ARE stores of things that could be stolen for additional payday. not 100% sure just how much, but getting some alpha grade cyberwear, among other things, is certain to increase the payday.
>>
>>51080891

Clearly you need to trick that fucker out with a sound amplifier you can turn on or off. Turn it on to shatter the windows of the surrounding buildings, and then turn it off when you round a corner to get away from the angry cops and escape unheard
>>
>>51080917
>60-70 grand
>there ARE stores of things that could be stolen for additional payday
>some alpha grade cyberwear, among other things

nah I think it fits

and again, what amount of karma would you give them? If it's dependent on their actions: What range?
>>
>>51080930
Where are stats on a sound amplifier? Core book?
>>
>>51080949

Oh, whoops, I forgot you asked about that too.

If they can find a way to completely ghost the thing, I'm gonna give them 12 karma.

If they get everything done without ghosting it, probably 8 or 9

If they go murder hobo and kill the entire hospital, I'm only gonna give them 5 karma, and make the Ork Underground not so happy with them (Because they didn't want murder, they just wanted supplies)

Or is that too much karma?
>>
>>51080995

I don't remember where I saw it, honestly. It didn't really blow out windows, that was an exaggeration. But, being able to make things obnoxiously loud shouldn't be difficult or expensive.
>>
>>51081012
nah, that seems to me like a good reward
>>
File: 14583185071421.jpg (4KB, 213x250px) Image search: [Google]
14583185071421.jpg
4KB, 213x250px
>Price and modification slots are missing for Ram Plate in Rigger 5
>"I know what I'll do, I'll just look at the rigger books from previous editions and get the cost from there."
>"Hahaha, I'm so clever!"
>apparently ram plates didn't exist before Rigger 5
>>
>>51081044
>tfw you will never make people roll Body with your loud-ass motorcycle

How much do you think it would cost though?
>>
>>51080891
They're loud, but artificially loud because people want their bikes to be loud. There's a bit of fluff in Rigger 5 that talks about this.
>>
>>51081099
hardy wanted it to be hard to acquire, didn't you know? Now load up those stun 'n shock rounds and wrangle yourself up a Ram Plate.
>>
File: Arsenal p141.png (25KB, 714x116px) Image search: [Google]
Arsenal p141.png
25KB, 714x116px
>>51081099
Chummer, you do know that Rigger 4 was an april fools joke?
All the mods are in Arsenal
>>
>>51081077

Thanks. All i have left to do now is Finish up the Matrix (I just need to figure out what the Host rating would be, and throw in some IC, and get a neat map for the decker to look at for immersion) and everything is good.

>>51081109

Honestly, I have no idea. But, as a GM, just Bullshitting, I'd make it... 2000-4000 nuyen, and anyone who doesn't have dampeners or a Select Sound Filter needs to roll body (1) or be deafened, if they're within 10 meters of your bike.
>>
>>51081173
>april fools
No. Rigger 4 is as canon as Rigger 5.0.
>>
>>51081173
Oh thank goodness, I was ready to hunt down the writers and editors. Now let's see how much it cos-
>Bodyx250
Muh Roadmaster.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 480x401px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 480x401px
Are you comfortable with bending the rules of the setting slightly to make things more interesting for your players? My group wants to run a game as turbo snowflake prime runners, and one guy wants to play someone who is literally mostly chrome without being a cyber zombie because reasons he hasn't yet fully elaborated on. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and am probably gonna let him because the group is good and I like all of them as players.

So has anyone else bent the rules a little? I think it can have some fun results if done right.
>>
>>51081284
>without being a cyber zombie
But becoming a soulless killing machine is half the fun of being mostly chrome.
>>
>>51081284
The small problem I see with "Bending the rules" is the fact that small changes propagate fast
how is it possible that he could cross the essence limit and still live? Most reasons you could give would mean that the AAA also have the technology
and let me tell you: they would fuck the shit out of it
>>
>>51078813
>I can dump magical theory, metaplanes, spirits and parazoology because I have arcana?
Yes. Active skills can always be substituted for relevant Knowledge skills without a penalty.

Someone with 6 points in Pistols, for example, can roll (Logic/Intuition)+Pistols for pistols-related Knowledge (Firearms) tests.

Between that and its essential role in Initiation, only a a delta-grade retard would make an Awakened character without at least one rank in Arcana, unless they're specifically supposed to be a deeply ignorant fuck when it comes to all things relating to magical lore/theory.
>>
>>51081284
Depends. I created a special piece of nanoware, available as alphaware and up, that reduces essence cost of all other chrome bits. It was hella expensive and required a hard as fuck run through a zero zone to get access to the plans, but they made it.

Getting it installed could have been a quest in and of itself, but the Johnson gave them a contact at a facility that could manufacture and install it.

Each rating reduces all essence costs of chrome by 25%. It's really powerful, but rating 1 costs 300,000 nuyen. Each subsequent rating costs twice as much as the rating before. It uses .5 essence, not reduced by itself.
>>
>>51081458
>I created a special piece of nanoware, available as alphaware and up, that reduces essence cost of all other chrome bits
so adapsin?
>>
>>51081458
What was your fluff justification for it? It sounds interesting.
>>
>>51081474
Sorta, but it works better and stacks with adapsin, additively.
>>
>>51081426
>its essential role in Initiation
could you elaborate on that for me? Is it a 5e thing? cause from what I see in 4e you only need it for one specific Initiation Ritual
>>
>>51081284

yeah. So long as it's not completely breaking the setting or playing heavy favoritism to one member of the party, I don't see the slightest problem with it. The point of any game is for people to have fun, and if you need to tweak one of the rules to allow for that.

So, this guy wants to be mostly chrome without being a cyberzombie? That doesn't even seem all that challenging.

If they're prime runners, and he's going street sam, he will probably have Bucket and Buckets of Nuyen. Let him have access to Betaware, but without increasing the Max Availability (Which is at 15 IIRC, though, if you have a higher standard than the rest of the party, let him have that instead)

He can grab himself Adapsin(.2 essence) and Biocompatibility (cyberwear), and then he can get cyberwear for effectively .5 Essence cost. 2 cyberlimbs, and 2 cyberlegs is 2 essence, Grab yourself some wired reflexes, (R3 would be 2.5 essence), R3 bone lacings is .75, and there you're sitting at .55 essence left and that is pretty damn cyber.

You could, alternatively, only have R2 Wired Reflexes (and some jazz to boost to that sweet sweet 5 initiative dice)(1.5 essence), and then you can grab yourself a Cyber Torso and Cyber Skull (.75 and .375 essence respectively), and that will total up to... Lets see... .2+2+1.5+.75+.75+.55... that equals out to 5.75 essence in total.

So, recount: 2 cyber arms, 2 cyber legs, rating 3 bone lacins, rating 2 Wired Reflexes, Cybre Skull, Cyber Torso, and Adapsin. That is a LOT of chrome, all with the only rule being bent is that you can buy Betawear at character creation.

The best part is, that shopping list I gave you totals up to 433,500. Prime Runner priority A Nuyen is 500,000, with the ability to get up to an additional 50K if they spend Karma on it (Even more if you go in debt).

that's 66500 to buy guns and stuff to fill your cyberlimbs which admittedly isn't a lot, but hey, you're chromed as fuck!
>>
>>51080808
That's probably a little light on the doctors, but I'm sure there will be plenty of nurses to compensate.

>>51081193
>No. Rigger 4 is as canon as Rigger 5.0.
No, it isn't. It's literally an April Fools joke, published on April 1st and offered for free.
>>
>>51081558

The doctors are the only ones Packing heat. There are plenty of orderlies and staff, but they aren't packing any weapons themselves. Docs only do stun damage because of the Hippocratic oath.
>>
>>51081536
>The time it takes to complete initiation is determined by an Arcana + Intuition [Astral] (initiate grade, 1 month) Extended Test.
You need to pass Arcana tests to Initiate, and if you can't accrue enough successes fast enough, it can require months or even years of training time before you manage to pass that hurdle.

That test and training time is required regardless of whether you undergo additional rituals to reduce your karma costs.

So, like I said, any Awakened character who doesn't have the bare minimum of 1 point in Arcana - just to ignore the untrained penalty - is bad, and should feel bad.
>>
>>51081580
>but they aren't packing any weapons themselves
But can and will alert people who are packing weapons, or scavenge weapons off of dead guards, or come up behind the runners, put them in a headlock, and inject them full of sedatives the same way they would any other violent patient.

Just because they're not 'serious' combatants doesn't mean they can't have serious effects.
>>
>>51081558
It's still canonical. Or are you telling me that the Renraku Nadeshiko in Rigger 5.0 is an "April Fools"?
>>
>>51081614

So, you're telling me to give stats to all the orderlies, and make the job even harder?
>>
>>51081479
It's a prototype created by Renraku that works by integrating the chrome with the flesh, making it hard to determine where flesh stops and chrome begins. This tight integration is intended to be the foundation for a new generation of cyberware, chrome that melds with flesh in an all new way give the user the best experience possible.
>>
>>51081616
READ THE FUCKING CONVERSATION
WE ARE TALKING RIGGER 4
4!
4th EDITION
>>
>>51081641
I'd imagine that makes it much harder to remove and quickly swap though. Upgrades especially would be a pain.
>>
>>51081616
I'm telling you that Rigger 4, in its entirety, is a non-canon literally-released-on-April-Fools-Day joke book. Any content that was also introduced in an actually-canon book is obvious canon.

But Rigger 4, in and of itself, is not.

Rigger 5.0, on the other hand, is a canon, main-line book, in every way more canon than Rigger 4 ever was, because unlike Rigger 4 it's not a literal April Fools Day joke.
>>
>>51081597
Ah, so a 5e thing
>>
>>51081648
Just because it was released on April 1st doesn't make it April Fools.
>>
>>51081638
Most of the orderlies won't do shit. Composure tests will abound, and morale usually leans towards 'evacuate.' But some people will be determined or foolhardy enough to play the hero and create complications.
>>
>>51081672
Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>51081692

Alright. So, Narcoject?

What's the AP on a Syringe?
>>
File: seriously.png (292KB, 737x953px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.png
292KB, 737x953px
>>51081672
chummer, did you even read it?
here's the front page
and it doesn't get better
>>
>>51081746

This makes me giggle and it shouldn't.

I want some crazy troll rigger with a cyber chariot in my game now.
>>
>>51081725
I'd run it more with the Subduing Combat rules. If an orderly manages to get to the point where they've dealt damage with Subduing Combat, after having prepared an appropriate syringe, they'd manage to inject them.

I'd go for Dopadrine, though. It's what they'd be more likely to have on hand. It's an anti-psychotic sedative which cancels Berserk effects and applies physical penalties while it's in effect. That way you're not just knocking your players straight out either.

MAYBE the people working in the pharmacy and the ultra-high security wards would have access to tranquilizers as potent as narcoject, but mostly you'd see sedatives intended to get people under control, rather than shit intended to knock people straight the fuck out.
>>
File: clop-clop-bang-clop-clop.png (149KB, 737x953px) Image search: [Google]
clop-clop-bang-clop-clop.png
149KB, 737x953px
>>51081782
>I want some crazy troll rigger with a cyber chariot in my game now.
you can
with pic related
>>
>>51081798
>Ctrl+F'd Dopadrine

Hm. I like it.

Do you think the slap patches would work out better? Or just use the rules for slap patches, and say it's a syringe instead? Honestly, getting hit with some of this shit wouldn't be damning, and would be kinda funny. Funnier if we happened to have someone in the party who actually berzerked.
>>
>>51081889
>Or just use the rules for slap patches, and say it's a syringe instead?
Actual slap patches for the dopadrine. Syringes following the rules for slap patches for the narcoject. Slap patches make a lot of sense for emergency supplies prepared in advance, but for something prepared by a medical professional on the fly a syringe works a lot better.
>>
So, the Matrix is definitely one of my weak spots.

>Rating 5-6 hosts: Social media, small colleges and universities, local police, international policlubs

>Rating 7-8 hosts: Matrix games, local corporate hosts, large universities, low-level government

I'm inclined to believe the hospital would be a rating 6 or 7 host. But, we only have 1 decker, and fighting 6-7 IC (including Black IC) that are all rolling between 12 and 14 dice, it just feels like she's gonna be fucked by the IC.

Also, if I mark 1 IC, or the Host, does that put a mark on the other IC as well? Or can you only mark one of these at a time?
>>
>>51081668
Yeah, but I never told the runners that. Adding bits to existing gear is easier since you can do it like normal and they'll be cyborged in after a little while, but if you need to fully remove something you're fucked. Increasing the rating of the nanoware makes the integration tighter, increasing the difficulty and cost of removing existing chrome. At rating 3 (75% essence cost reduction) removing cyberware or modifications is more difficult and expensive than removing an organ.

It also would hurt like hell (and have a longer recovery period) since your cyber is now a part of your body. I called the nanomod the Nano-Cyber Weaving System (NCW System), but the players called it the cyborg system.

I'd thought about having some weirdness where if you get NCW 3 and Adapsin installed your chrome would start becoming fleshy and your meat would start getting metallic as the nanites spread and your body let them. It'd start making you harder to heal, warp your presence in the Astral, and mark you as something other than metahuman. I wanted to show the character becoming a post-metahuman, which I based on a short story I concepted with my dad several years ago. In the story, the guy was really freaked out by it, which I was going to have the NPCs do. The character died before I could really do anything fun.
>>
>>51081943
Just use the unofficial alternative rules for the matrix instead.
>>
>>51081953

Where are they? I've only got the book as is, and suddenly throwing a different set of rules at the decker out of left field kinda seems unfair.
>>
>>51081971
check a few threads back

basically you roll your dice pool and set the threshold to (relevant attribute). If you succeed you do what you wanted, if not you don't succeed, succeed with an alarm or don't succeed with an alarm
>>
>>51081971
>unofficial
You just have them roll normal fucking skill checks to make things happen. Want to open a door? You roll Hacking with your deck's Sleaze as your Limit against a Threshold of the door's Device/Firewall rating.

No hosts or marks or other bullshit like that. You just make it into a normal fucking skill check, instead of using the default system, which is unfun in a manner not unlike nailing your dick to a table.

And then when you roll up on somewhere, you just add a simple Firewall modifier. Secure, like somewhere that has an IT guy on staff to make sure shit's not stupid? +1 Firewall over its normal score. Highly secure, like a police station or anywhere else that has a permanent professional security presence? +2. Milspec, like a military base, a secret corporate research facility, or a space station? +3.

And that's it.

Just make it normal.
>>
File: 1340659169472.jpg (132KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1340659169472.jpg
132KB, 600x450px
>>51082053
Was it ever like this in previous editions? Because this makes a lot more sense than the bloated shit that makes up the Matrix rules for 5e.
>>
>>51082192
No. In most previous editions, it was actually even worse. 1e-3e, for example, had the decker run entire solo dungeons in decker-time while the rest of the party fucked off and got a pizza or something for two hours out-of-game.

And yes, this 'unofficial alternative system' - i.e. just using the normal, default dice resolution mechanic instead of the subsystem garbage - is in every way better.
>>
>>51082192
>>51082237
5e is actually the least shit it's ever been.

Let that sink in.

In 4e, hacking was done exclusively by being a script kiddie and buying a commlink with hacking software. This is something that the mage would usually do with all of the money they weren't spending, because the 'hacker' side of the hacking equation was completely extraneous to the situation.

And before that, it was so bad that 'the decker problem' is still common slang for an entire class of shitty game design.

5e has such a bad hacking subsystem that it actually makes the game actively less fun whenever it comes into play, and yet it's the least shit hacking in Shadowrun has ever been.
>>
File: 1446936549187.jpg (41KB, 325x266px) Image search: [Google]
1446936549187.jpg
41KB, 325x266px
>>51082263
Jesus Christ
>>
>>51082237
You can even see this in the Returns games. Full-on Cyber dungeons. Pretty cool... As long as you're the one playing.
>>
Which shadowrun 5e content books are worth getting?
>>
>>51082596
All of them. Any of them. Whichever pertains to the archetype you want to play.

Want to be Awakened? Get Street Grimoire. Want to be a Street Samurai? Get Chrome Flesh. Want to be a Rigger? Rigger 5.0.

Everyone should have Run and Gun and Run Faster.

...Data Trails is bad.
>>
>>51082596

what >>51082624 said with one exception: Don't pay for them.
>>
>>51082631
Do you have links to pdf for them? I make $$ so buying doesn't matter, but I also would like to save said $$
>>
>>51082686
Check the pastebin in the OP for links to DLs.
>>
Where does a Security Spider usually leave their meatsuit, anyways? I imagine it's probably not very smart to leave it in the same building you're protecting, on the off chance you fuck up, but on the other hand the further you are from that place the more Noise you have to deal with.
>>
>>51083000
Probably in the Security Office, where he is surrounded by a bunch of locks, cameras, and buddies with guns backing him up.
>>
>>51083000
What >>51083015 said; in a very secure room who's locks are likely controlled from the Security Station itself.
As for the Noise problem, it's 5e bullshit created to artificially force deckers to join people on runs physically (despite the last four editions having rules for things like that) and isn't accounted for in the fluff because fuck rules that make internal sense, right?
>>
>>51080056
Could someone make 3e character sheets for tabletop simulator?
>>
>>51083063

No.
>>
So are those braincase cyborgs actually player playable, or what?
>>
>>51083052
>and isn't accounted for in the fluff
Can you give an example?
>>
>>51083142
Signal strength is not a major problem for four editions. And then it is. You will not hear talk of "noise" in any fluff at all.
The issue is that the Mega-Grognards who run and write 5e are so ridiculously old-fashioned that they assume that the Matrix NEEDS it's own super special rules because that was what it was like when they were kids.
Never mind that every time they "fix" the problems with hacking they ALWAYS (as in 100% without fail every single time) overlook and outright ignore the primary problem with the rules they had and assume the "taking the Decker with you" part is the issue.

The issue isn't forcing the Decker to physically be there because there has ALWAYS BEEN RULES AND REASONS FOR THAT, the issue is an entirely separate and completely arbitrary rules system that a player and GM needs to learn on TOP of the existing rules which THEMSELVES are already incredibly arbitrary!
>>
File: Tir Embassy.gif (4MB, 456x348px) Image search: [Google]
Tir Embassy.gif
4MB, 456x348px
>>51083248
>>51082263
While we are on the subject of glaring/longrunning flaws, what are some other things that can be cleaned up or cut out of the next edition when/if its released?
>>
>>51083311
Most everything else is stuff that some people don't like (Essence limits for augmentation because they want more traditional cyberpunk for example) as per subjective opinions rather then rules that outright don't work well.

Maybe cut down on all the useless modifiers for simplicity's sake.
>>
>>51083311
Magic
Cut out EVERYTHING Magic related or Keep it in the Background/NPC only and you have a very nice game that is actually playable, compared to CP2020.
>>
>>51083492
Like I said, >>51083623 is an example of people who just super wish SR was a regular cyberpunk game even though there are several of those.

Like playing D&D and expecting it to be run like Chutes and Ladders or something.
>>
Gunslinger adept guy here with a couple more questions:

1. I have 15 dice in Pistols, 17 including my semiauto specialization. Should I bother pushing that higher at chargen? I think the only way to do it is Brand Loyalty.

2. I hope to eventually dual-wield, probably once I have 20 or more dice (or when we ambush some goons). Is Ambidexterity worth taking?

3. Sharpshooter, yea or nay?

4. Ares Predator V, best non-revolver heavy pistol?
>>
>>51083311
I feel like 6e will be a complete reevaluation of the ruleset. They'll simplify all their rules, chuck a bunch of shit (swimming, chunky salsa, noise rating) and make it consistent. Personally, I'd like the team to include some new blood that isn't super attached to the crunch of editions past but likes the fluff.

If they want to return to the classic 2050 setting, that'd be cool. If not, then I hope they retcon some of the weird shit (naga, drake, changeling) and only add interesting shit for advanced runners (PC AI characters, optional rules that emulate the feel of current shit for the crunch fans, non-Mary Sue options for character creation).
>>
>>51083722
If you've gotta dual wield, Ambidexterity is a must...but dual wielding really, really sucks. Would you rather throw 20 dice at one guy or 10 dice at two guys/one guy twice?
>>
File: Splitting your Dice Pool.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Splitting your Dice Pool.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>51083623
>Cutting magic out of SR would be like cutting Dungeons out of D&D.

>>51083722
>1. I have 15 dice in Pistols, 17 including my semiauto specialization. Should I bother pushing that higher at chargen? I think the only way to do it is Brand Loyalty.

Its going to be super expensive and honestly you'll likely find other things worth building upon. 17 dice is nothing to sneeze at and it really won't get too much better unless your game runs long term.

.2. I hope to eventually dual-wield, probably once I have 20 or more dice (or when we ambush some goons). Is Ambidexterity worth taking?

Never ever. Dual Wielding is garbage and Ambidexterity doesn't make it any better. Spend the karma on literally anything else.

>3. Sharpshooter, yea or nay?

Useful if you are a trick-shotting kind of guy or if you are specializing in sniping (why tho). With a dicepool as high as yours you might get some play out of it but it's not essential.

>4. Ares Predator V, best non-revolver heavy pistol?

Abso-fucking-lutely.
>>
>>51083722

>15 dice in pistols

That would be... what, 6 agility, 6 Guns, 3 Improved ability (With the assumption that you choose the interpretation of the 1.5x improvement being the final score, not how much you can... ya know... improve by)?

Something I'd reccomend you getting anyways is Goggles/glasses/contacts/something with Smartlink. It will still give you +2 accuracy and, if you're using the wireless bonus, you get +1 dice (If you go cyber eyes/implanted smartlink, you get +2 instead). that's something that's super simple to do.

As a gun adept, if you've got 6 Magic, I suggest putting 1 point in Improve Attribute (Agi). you roll 7 dice, and however many successes you get, you get +1 to all agi rolls, only rolling... 1 drain, I think, the next turn. It's a good way to increase your stats from there.

Sharpshooter is okay. if you have the spare karma, get it, but don't force it.

People (>>51083824 and >>51083849
) Think that Dual Wielding sucks, and to a point, it does, but, there is something that you can do if you decide to go for Machine pistols/Automatics instead: Full Auto, and Full Auto Burst.

Full auto burst offers a -9 penalty to the target to avoid. Sure, you may only be rolling 10-ish dice between each attack, however, unless someone has, like, 20 dodge dice, which I HIGHLY doubt you'll ever encounter (What, 10 reaction w/ wired reflexes and reaction enhancers, 6 Intuition, and then going full defense, and at least 4 willpower?), you're almost always going to be nailing that damage.

Granted, this is far from optimal, but it could be pretty fun to just hose down two mooks at the same time, especially when your average mook is probably gonna be using 11 dice at best to dodge? drop that to 3, vs. your 10 dice to attack, and you're gonna have a good time.
>>
>>51083849
Good to know, Ambi, Brand Loyalty, and Sharpshooter are out. One more question: Can you install a gas-vent system on an Ares Light Fire 75, considering it's silencer is 'integral' and not an accessory? Chummer says it's legal, but chummer is also kind of retarded when it comes to gear.
>>
>>51083953
Yeah, 6 Agi + 6 Guns + 3 Improved Guns + 2 Specialization. I already have smartlink contacts and a personalized grip, probably not gonna go for an implanted smartlink though. I'll consider picking up a machine pistol though.
>>
>>51083958
I thought they were mutually exclusive. They would be in real life, but since when does SR have to make sense?
>>
>>51083998

Alright, so that brings you to 18 dice. Handy, and you've got more than enough Accuracy now. probably won't ever hit those limits.

Everyone has their own opinions of dual wielding. you CAN make it work, honestly, but it isn't optimal. If your whole party isn't optimal, and your GM isn't throwing your ass against the wall every encounter, I'm sure you could pull it off.
>>
>>51083623
"I don't like it" is different from "it needs to go"
It's true that the magic system is broken as all fuck, though. It needs a complete overhaul.
Spirits are too good. Spells aren't good enough. Nobody gives a single flying fuck about enchanting.
>>
File: IOgNUrN.png (243KB, 1056x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IOgNUrN.png
243KB, 1056x1040px
>>51076123
>>51076187
Too bad I can't play him because he's fucking working for Ghostwalker now
>>
So, the Control Rig states that it increases your handling AND speed by the rating of your Control rig.

This means you can dive into a dodge scoot, and rev that fucker up to 320 meters per turn (Which equates to 384 Kilometers per hour, or about 239 miles per hour).

I'm just wanting clarification that, yes, that is exactly what you can do, not something that was put in there by accident by CLG being dumbfucks, and it was later errata'd out.
>>
Question: If I wanted to read the wonderfully dated Shadowrun novels, where would the best place to find a torrent? Or does such a thing not exist? I haven't read them in over a decade and I miss them.
>>
>>51084597
The writer for the vehicle section specifically designed driving without number values, but they sneaked them in without him knowing after the fact.
>CLG
How do you do, fellow shadowwalkers?
>>51084657
Check Pastebin
>>
>>51084671
>The writer for the vehicle section specifically designed driving without number values, but they sneaked them in without him knowing after the fact.
Not only that, but the core book numbers have been fucked off entirely, as of Rigger 5.

>>51084597
Don't use the numbers. If your GM is smart, they'll reduce the effect of the control rig to altering the *limit* of Handling and Speed, not the attributes themselves.
>>
>>51084690

I am the GM. I am just trying to figure things out myself
>>
Could someone explain to me the difference between cold sim and hot sim?
>>
>>51084795

Cold sim is when you go into virtual reality, but you experience everything through a giant thick rubber glove. You can feel things, but you can't really 'feel' things. This is due to a bunch of safety procedures and fire walls and things like that in place that are designed to keep your brain from frying.

Hot sim is the exact same thing, without those firewalls and defensive routines. Because they aren't there, you're not getting any lag (Shown by the extra initiative dice), but you're also running free and naked, in the sense that things that hurt, actually hurt you, instead of just feeling mildly uncomfortable.

Example: If you go into VR in Call of Battlefield 7: Aztec Warfare, in cold sim, you'll feel like you're actually in a jungle, but any time you get shot, it'd feel like you got hit with a bouncy ball thrown at you from across the room.

If you're in hot sim, you'll be able to play without any lag, but if you get shot, it feels like you actually got shot.
>>
File: 51xGVwBFqWL.jpg (41KB, 311x500px) Image search: [Google]
51xGVwBFqWL.jpg
41KB, 311x500px
>>51084671
I did, I swear, I just wasn't seeing anything about the novels.

Not rulebooks, mind, the actual fiction novels from the 90's. Not ruling out that I missed something though.
>>
Semi lurker here. I'm going to be GMing for 5e coming up. What does /tg/ think about a run related to weapons smuggling/dealing (ala War Dogs)?
>>
What is the best way for someone to use a broomstick as their means of transportation?
Some kind of enchantment I can get for one?
>>
>>51084992
Levitate I guess?
>>
Is the PSK-3 Collapsible Heavy Pistol good? The accuracy is low, but does the collapsible part make up for it?
>>
>>51084597

Rigger 5: Downgrade your Dodge scoot for +1 mod slots (doesn't matter what, really). Get Speed enhancement 1.

Grab the Gearhead quality (RAW states 20% increase to speed, but most people i've seen translates that to +1 speed because it's just so much easier).

Jack in with a rating 3 Control Rig.

Congratulations, you can now Scoot at Mach 1
>>
>>51085053
There are no rules for that. So "maybe", depends on your GM.
>>
>>51084992
Quickened levitate, at extremely high force, and give your GM sexual favors so he lets you burn edge or something to survive the casting.

Or just ask your GM to work with you on homebrewing it using vehicle rules.

>>51085070
>scoot at mach 1
>WeaponToSurpassMetalGear.trid
>>
>>51085307

>WeaponToSurpassMetalGear

>Ramming damage for anything going over the speed of 501 meters per turn is bodyx10.

>Anti-Vehicle Rockets/Missles do 24P at AP-4/-10 (-10 vs. Vehicles and barriers, -4 for everything else)

>Dodge scoot, moving at Mach 1, will crash into something for 40P, -6 AP.

>Honda spirit, with a Rating 3 Control rig, at max speed, can crash for 80P

>Ares Roadmaster, +1 speed enhancement, and rating 3 control rig can crash into some poor fucker for 180P -6 AP

>Cost of Ares Roadmaster: 52,000
>Speed Enhancement is speedx2000, so, about 6000 nuyen.

>58,000 Projectiles that you can drive with extreme accuracy, that will destroy anything it blasts into.

>WeaponToSurpassDodgeScoot.knwsft
>>
>>51083722
>1. I have 15 dice in Pistols, 17 including my semiauto specialization. Should I bother pushing that higher at chargen? I think the only way to do it is Brand Loyalty.
Get a smartgun
>ambidexterity
It's literally mandatory
>predator v
Shit compared to the Salvette Guardian
>>
File: 1474897620666.jpg (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474897620666.jpg
222KB, 1920x1080px
>>51080056
I'm about to jump down the matrix rabbit hole for the next campaign we are going to start. Any suggestions for cool things that exist in the matrix that I can throw at my players?
>>
>>51085234
Maybe what?
>>
>>51085603

I don't mean to keep riding this out, but, a buddy of mine has a Hellhound that can go Mach 15. The core rulebook has ramming speeds that only go up to 501+ at x10 body, but, he did the math to see how it would work if it kept scaling. And he did the math of how hard his semi truck would hit if hit something.

The math came to 2.1475025e+15 Physical damage. at -6 AP

So... barrier rules state that the math is for 10cm at a time. The earth is 1,275,600,000 centimeters thick (I expected a bigger number, honestly) So, we could reduce that to 127,560,000 instances (the number of centimeters divided by 10 centimeters per instance).

Now, lets be very generous and assume the earth is entirely made of hardened material (blast Bunkers), and give the earth 16 structure, and 32 armor. that drops it down to 26 armor, for the sake of Math here.

the average roll for a 26 armor is 8.666 successes. but thats be VERY generous and say that its an even 9 successes on average.

This would, effectively, reduce the damage dealt by this high speed monster by 1,148,040,000 P

That would then leave the earth with, effectively, a raw structure/HP of 2,040,960,000

If I did my math wrong here (and I very well could have), this truck of his, if it were to follow a loop-de-loop that then drove him directly downward into the ground at his full speed of mach 15, would not only destroy the earth, but crash with enough force to destroy 673409.37598 earths lined up in a row.
>>
>>51085053
>>51085234
Use the errata stats for the PPSK-4. Concealabity -6.
>>
>>51086045
...aaaand that's why the game has a gm
>>
>>51086128

I know. But, it's still funny to think about the hypotheticals.

This is only assuming the earth totally averages out to 16 Structure and 32 armor. Gonna see if I can get some better numbers from some friends. I'll be back (hopefully tomorrow) with updates on just how dangerous this is.
>>
In 5th edition, Can I put a silencer on an ares crusader 2 machine pistol? I want some good dakka to keep in my sammy's large smuggling compartment.
>>
File: IMG_0482.png (432KB, 496x673px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0482.png
432KB, 496x673px
Besides Snow Crash and Neuromancer, what are some other essential cyberpunk literature? I have been on a serious bender for it lately
>>
>>51086045
Autism like this always cracks me up. God bless whoever took the time to write this up
>>
>>51086217
Various other Gibson books? I really enjoyed the Bridge Trilogy, for example.
>>
>>51086217
When Gravity Fails
Hardwired
>>
>>51082192
The Matrix Rules cannot accommodate a well-rounded team. A team of all Deckers? Or mostly Deckers? Or two-people? Very possible. The Matrix is an "Area" to do Runs in, not unlike Seattle, or Nigeria, or Neo-Tokyo. The only difference is it has its own rules and you quite literally don't have time for that.
>>
>>51083953
>not how much you can... ya know... improve by
That would be stupid, creating a meaningless limit on the power.

>>51083958
>Can you install a gas-vent system on an Ares Light Fire 75, considering it's silencer is 'integral' and not an accessory?
Yes, that is what integral does by core rules.
>>
Is there a problem, mechanically or realistically, with wearing sunglasses and contacts at the same time?
>>
>>51086971
No.
Sunglasses reduce light by one level though, which can give you ranged penalties.
Would you be loading them both full of gadgets?
>>
>>51086971
Speaking as someone who's done so, it's fine for a few hours, but a particularly anal GM would be completely justified in giving you vision penalties after that point.
Having something tinted in front of your eyes while actually having something in your eyes, especially if you're doing a job where you have to focus on small details, will hurt like a bitch and dry your eyes out after two or three hours.
>>
>>51086998
Many gadgets.
>>
>>51087049
Go for it. You'd presumably be connecting them all to your pan through a commlink so they can interact with each other.
It'd be like using an implanted srmatlink and a gun imaging scope. I'd rule they can work together. There would be enough drawbacks connected to the nature of the devices they're installed in.
>>
>>51086246
Seconding this guy.
>>
>>51086971
The more you stack in front of your vision, the more your GM is within rights to give you distraction and interfering sight penalties.
>>
>>51082686
>I make $$ so buying doesn't matter, but I also would like to save said $$
It's not a matter of whether or not you can afford them. Shadowrun is currently published by a company whose leadership embezzles money out of the payroll and doesn't pay their workers.

If you like the idea of writers who make games you play getting paid for their work, giving money to CGL is paying those exact people who rip them off and exploit them.
>>
>>51086217
Pretty much everything Gibson.
Gibson didn't only write good cyberpunk, that's true, but his books approach the genre from an insane amount of angles and have a lot of different perspectives.
Idoru, for example, is a good view into how the "man on the street" perceives the Matrix, how they can use it and exactly how the possibilities of AI seem to the everyman - even if you don't have time to read the rest of the trilogy, it's still good reading if you're playing a decker or technomancer who doesn't just lapse into "I hack the corporate monopoly" or "I hack into the explosives in the corporate warehouse".
Gibson solidified the genre, came up with a lot of its mainstays and was a trailblazer for a long part of its history, which means that everything he's written before he stopped doing "proper" cyberpunk is relevant in some way, even if not all his books can be as good or famous as the Sprawl Trilogy.
>>
What happens when bug spirits try to make a cyberzombie?
>>
File: LaughingObama.jpg (131KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingObama.jpg
131KB, 1024x732px
>>51087142
>a company who makes an RPG satirizing and condemning corrupt corporations is hideously corrupt

Beautiful. Also could I get some proof?
>>
>>51087192
A good campaign.
>>
>>51083311
>While we are on the subject of glaring/longrunning flaws, what are some other things that can be cleaned up or cut out of the next edition when/if its released?
Default purchases. Things like Fake SINs and basic commlinks would be the obvious.

When it's absolutely obligatory that you'll have something, I want that to be the starting assumption, rather than something you can accidentally fail to purchase.

Everyone has a decent Fake SIN and a Lifestyle-provided disposable commlink. The only time you don't just automatically have those is if you take a Negative Quality to represent that lack, or if you get them burned/destroyed during play.

That's a mechanical fix that I'd make, personally. Aside from that, I'd probably slash repair costs dramatically, or at least give drones, decks, and vehicles overflow boxes. Have their be a really meaningful cost difference between 'shot so much that it turns off' and 'shot so much that it's barely worth scrap metal.' The repair costs incurred by riggers and deckers is grotesque to the point of being embarrassing.

So, making obligatory purchases the baseline and making deckers and riggers able to function without going bankrupt.
>>
>>51084597
The book is unclear on the matter, but it only increases the relevant limits, not the scores for any other purposes.
>>
>>51084867
>Cold sim is when you go into virtual reality, but you experience everything through a giant thick rubber glove. You can feel things, but you can't really 'feel' things. This is due to a bunch of safety procedures and fire walls and things like that in place that are designed to keep your brain from frying.
This is wrong. Coldsim is true to reality. Hotsim is hyper-real, like all of your senses got dialed to maximum. BTL goes further beyond hotsim, instead dialing your inputs to 11+/10.
>>
>>51081638
You know military doctors don't actually walk around with guns right? A VA hospital will have armed security like your local county hospital does. They aren't fucking fort knox unless they are located on a military base, and even then only because with a little prep time you'll have literal battalions of soldiers on your ass. Even then it wouldn't be instant.
>>
>>51087204
Just look up Loren L Coleman/CGL and 'embezzlement.' It's not even a secret - we found out about this shit back in fucking 2010.
>>
>>51087216
In a game I played a while back a new player didn't pick up a fake SIN.

We're going through thorough corporate security and the new guy gets asked to show a SIN, but he has no idea what the fuck the GM is even talking about so I have to bail him out out of game and have my character give him one of my SINs.

Nowadays I personally guide new players through chargen and the game at large.
>>
>>51087204
It's a mistake to say that CGL "makes" Shadowrun.
FASA made Shadowrun, and everything CGL has been doing since then is cutting it up and pasting it back together in the wrong order using underpaid, untrained freelancers with no organization or guidance, who're constantly cheated, defrauded and lied to by a corrupt management which just wants the neo-roleplayers' pocket money.
CGL went wrong when it decided that Shadowrun, a crunchy and complex system with a lot of (at times controversial) lore and fluff as well as a certain hurdle for understanding it (mainly understanding what cyberpunk is and how Shadowrun is different), was a good candidate to aim towards Wil Wheaton drones and Tumblrinas who think that the game industry is a huge conspiracy made to prevent them from sitting down, reading the rulebook and playing the game.
Even if CGL's management hadn't been corrupt and the company hadn't only had experience with tie-in board games, it wouldn't have been able to handle Shadowrun, because the customer group is completely fucking wrong. Aiming a game with a lot of rules and a lot of lore at thin-skinned gender-special Tumblrkin who get offended at the slightest endorsement of down-to-earth characters without thirteen special features that make them completely impossible to properly roleplay as anything else than a ball of specialness and shrieking 14-year-old Pathfinder kids who think it makes them cool to drink fifteen cans of Monster and try to reenact CoD in Shadowrun might have been the absolutely stupidest idea that a game company has ever had aside from Age of Sigmar.
It's a cash grab aimed at using Shadowrun's relative fame and name recognition factor to create a wish-fulfillment simulator for people who don't actually want to play roleplaying games but instead want their fursona's story to be written and narrated for them without them ever losing, and you can kind of see where that went.
>>
>>51087304
Yeah, that's the shit I'm talking about. Any purchases that 100% of players need to make for their characters need to be an assumed default, rather than something they need to actually go out of their way to acquire.

Not having some kind of fake SIN needs to be a negative quality, not a purchasing failure in chargen.
>>
File: jake.jpg (38KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
jake.jpg
38KB, 640x640px
>>51087318
I dunno, I'm a long time player and I prefer characters who are a bit more out there.
>>
>>51087318
What a weird, retarded tangent to go on. You've got some issues, and are an even bigger faggot than the faggots you're crying about.

Stay shit.
>>
File: IMG_0453.jpg (67KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0453.jpg
67KB, 480x480px
>>51087318
Wow... this seems really intense

What were controversial about the old lore exactly?
>>
>>51083849
>obnoxiouscunt.webm
>Never ever. Dual Wielding is garbage
Dual Wielding is for when half your dice pool is still enough. That's not combat for most people. It's surprise rounds.
>>
>>51087318
Wew lad

Glasses/contacts guy here, trying to cheese the system as hard as possible. What would you do if I got glasses with vision enhancement rating 4, wore contacts with vision enhancement rating 3 in them, and looked through binoculars with vision enhancement rating 3 in them, all wireless, for a total of 10 dice to my visual perception tests?
>>
>>51087253
>Coldsim is true to reality
>Hotsim is hyper-real, like all of your senses got dialed to maximum.
They're both real, but hot-sim is *faster*, because less protection.

>cold-sim: Standard simsense that operates at legal, safe levels
>hot-sim: Simsense without the safeguards that prevent potentially damaging biofeedback.

>BTL goes further beyond hotsim, instead dialing your inputs to 11+/10.
BTL is *not* a grade of sim. It's a high intensity recording that *requires* hot-sim for playback as intended.
>>
>>51087772
>What would you do if I got glasses with vision enhancement rating 4
Call you out for being a filthy cheat.

Otherwise?
>Interfering sight/odor/sound –2
>Perceiver is distracted –2
Possibly start cutting into actual visibility penalties if you insist on jamming so much junk in front of your face.

>all wireless
How quickly do you want to get reamed, mate?
>>
File: vidphone.gif (301KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
vidphone.gif
301KB, 466x700px
>>51087524
(Not the same guy, but...)
There are a few things. One of the big ones is the portrayal of the Native American Nations. On the one hand, the Amerinds are scrappy underdog, super noble warrior race guys in tune and harmony with the Awakening earth. This is kind of an artifact of the times; the late '80's and early '90s saw a big spike in "respect" for "native traditions," most of which were either distorted or just plain made up.
On the other hand, there are still a lot of stereotypes in the lore that wouldn't fly today, and the NAN comes off as looking very homogenous, with Amerinds sharing a lot of culture and tradition that they simply don't in real life. But on yet another hand, I once saw someone get really butthurt that Bison was not one of the totems in the first rulebook, because apparently ALL Native American tribes revered the buffalo as a sacred animal, even those who lived in places where bison weren't. You're trapped between having an entire race of Mary Sues or whole nations of Injuns from a John Ford film.

Another thing is racism. It's a big theme in Shadowrun, and with the rise of groups like Humanis, The Human Nation, and Alamos 20k, there's a lot of racial intolerance to go around. Naturally, this hurts some people's feelings. Apparently in a dystopia, while corporations may hog all the resources, governments take away civil rights, and crime lords shake people down on a daily basis, people hating people who are different from them is just going too far.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea, and I only have so much space.
>>
>>51080140
>>51080196
>>51080328
I'm surprised he didn't reply with some variation of "I was merely pretending to be retarded."

This OP was actually pretty sexy with the theme and--OMFG THE "WATCH YOUR BACK" PART OF THE MOTTO IS MISSING AGAIN REEEEEEE
>>
>>51087808
Keep going actually

I am fascinated at how people can get offended by seemingly begnin lore
>>
>>51087804
>Call you out for being a filthy cheat.
Not that guy, but the book doesn't give a limit on Vision Enhancement. The only limit would be the Capacity of whatever you're putting it in.
>>
>>51087846
You know they messed up writing (1-3), and that enhancements don't stack with themselves. If anyone gets all RAW lawyery, they can fuck right off.
>>
>>51087834
It works the other direction too. Grognards flip their shit whenever anything is added to the setting, or a status quo changes. There are still people arguing that wifi - in its entirety - should be removed from Shadowrun.

Newfags get offended by the old content, oldfags get offended by the new content, and everyone else gets offended by the slapfights burning threads down around them on forums spread far and wide across the Internet.
>>
>>51087808
Damned if you do damned if you don't

Include X character and you appease some and piss off others because it wasn't Y enough

The only real way to handle anger is to wait it out as best you possibly can unless it's severely crippling your business. I mean the portrayal of native Americans shadowrun never struck me as particularly offensive or stereotyped, perhaps even liberating when you consider they "retake" large swaths of the US. Best they could do is hire some Native American consultants or something and hope to do better next publication while simultaneously hoping the uproar dies down
>>
>>51087880
Don't forget the trannies & others tumblrnas, offended that the material doesn't pander to them.
>>
>>51087899
Those would be in the 'newfags offended by oldfags' category. Just like how you're an oldfag offended by newfags.

The difference is that you're the tremendous faggot shitting up this thread, whereas the faggots you won't stop whining about are nowhere to be seen.

You're both garbage, but you're the garbage that happens to be dumped on my porch, so you're worse.
>>
>>51087808
>Apparently in a dystopia, while corporations may hog all the resources, governments take away civil rights, and crime lords shake people down on a daily basis, people hating people who are different from them is just going too far.
Keep in mind what happens in-setting.

In 2050 Shadowrun, every non-human metatype character has lived through some serious shit, and there was / still is some serious anti-meta sentiment from people.
>>
File: 1470146786404.jpg (35KB, 564x670px) Image search: [Google]
1470146786404.jpg
35KB, 564x670px
>>51087921
>getting this meta, shitting up the thread to complain about the thread being shitted up.
Post a pic or something next time.
>>
>>51087869
It's not going RAW lawyery, it's "It's not written into the book"
>>
I wonder if anyone's ever crossed up Shadowrun with Castlevania.
>>
What should I do if I suspect one of the players in the team to be a vampire?

And what should I do if I find out that they are?
>>
>>51088259
There was a pretty fucking awesome anti-Vampire sawdust grenade. Hits them for horrifying amounts of lethal.

That being said, this is a team game, so it's best to make an attempt to understand, and not resort to lethal force on teammates.
>>
>>51088284
I didn't say anything about lethal?

I just don't know what to do. Isn't HMHVV supposed to be bad?
>>
>>51088259
Tie them up while they're sleeping, torture them in erotic ways (regeneration so go all out), go full magical realm on them.
>>
>>51088303
You need to literally devour the Essence of other living beings to survive, a process which is addictive, and leads to eventual death (unless you can accord a ludicrously expensive procedure).

So yeah, it's pretty fucking bad.

What you SHOULD do, is have countermeasures.
>>
>>51088318
>What you SHOULD do, is have countermeasures.
Like a garlic necklace?
>>
>>51088359
Like a spray cannister full of the aerosole sawdust.
If he tries to get top up on you, feed him a nice healthy dose of of his Lethal Allergy, straight into his lungs.
>>
>>51082192
Matrix rules in 5e aren't even bloated.
>>
>>51088259
Watch your back around them, try not to be alone with them, sawdust like others mentioned, be an adept and punch when sunlight.
>>
>>51088030
>You know they messed up writing (1-3)
See above.
>>
>>51088421
Sunlight only does 1P per full minute of exposure.
>>
>>51088498
Subduing combat, duh.
>>
>>51080056
How essential are spirits to a mage?
Does every mage have to be capable of summoning spirits?
>>
>>51088466
It's fine if you have that houserule, but you're calling a guy a cheater for breaking a rule that doesn't actually exist
>>
>>51088528
Nope. It's a mistake, and trying to push it as anything but is shitty behaviour. Ditto on anyone trying to stack multiple copies of Vision Enhancement.
>>
How many people here actually have Flist profiles for their characters? Sex comes up a stupid amount in the background of SR lore, and there are a lot of ways it can be used for plots, but I know that taking it outside of Flist will cause a flamewar of historical proportions.
It kind of seems like a waste to not ask, considering that the idea of people cramming their fetishes into their private lives through augmentations and magic, everyone using some kind of VR porn and the world's media getting steadily more and more blunted plays straight into the themes of the game, but there's a time and place for everything and this thread itself isn't it.
>>
>>51088585
Show me the rule that says you can't stack vision enhancement!
>>
So, a few threads back someone asked about Zoos in Shadowrun, so I want to map one out for a run.

What would people expect to find in the way of Critters and Parazoology? I have both the Running Wild and Parazoology books from 4th ed, but there's lots of critters and I'm not very well versed in what would be interesting to steal, release, or run away from.
Pointing me in the direction of anything interesting or even just plain weird enough to stand out would be greatly appreciated.
>>
A question about regional metatype variations. Are they just that, regional? Or are they ethnically related to the region? What I'm asking is if an Arab in England would manifest as a hobgoblin, or would they default to a standard ork?
>>
>>51087718

They don't stack, because you're looking through the binoculars, and the +4 is just looking at an image that's already been enhanced by +3 - It's like using a phone camera to take a photo of the preview window on a good DLSR to take a photo of the preview screen on a cheap point-and-shoot camera from best buy.
>>
>>51089120
Sounds like houserule bullshit to me!
>>
>>51089096

Runner's Companion from 4th says it's rare, but not unheard of. You can get for example an Oni manifesting in South Africa, but you know he's got a Japanese ancestor somewhere down the line that's passed on the gene.
>>
>>51089132
Mechanically, they stack. There's nothing saying you can't use them.

HOWEVER, almost every GM will tell you no, and they have every right to
>>
>>51088839
I have Shadowrun-related F-List profiles and have at least two more lewd characters in the works.
>>
>>51089195
Fucking railroading GMs!

Just to be clear, I'm kidding. Vision enhancement stacking according to RAW is another example of CGL's beautiful publishing capabilities.
>>
>>51089091
Look up the Bronx Zoo in the New York supplement for some inspiration.
>>
>>51089096
They're ethnic, not regional. They're people of [Region] descent.
>>
>>51081284

Sure - and there are rules for full-conversion cyborgs in Augmentation. They didn't make it over to 5e because tech retardation, but the basic structure should carry over easily enough.
>>
>>51082263

Yep - though 4e had a freelancer write an unofficial replacement called The Ends of the Matrix, which worked pretty well (if you were okay with it being very Ghost in the Shell).
>>
>>51089388
But people move between regions pretty often and ethnic divisions are almost entirely artificial.
>>
>>51081173
So in light of this, how do I edit Chummer's raw files to include this "correct" price?
>>
>>51081012

Between the rewards and the set up, this sounds like a really sweet run. Kinda jealous of your players at the moment.

Please share the story of how the team fucks this up.
>>
>>51083088
They were in 4e, but the rules were cut out for 5e
>>
>>51080056
Beyond the Matrix, what do I have to houserule to make this system bearable for D&D babies.
>>
To continue a point brought up earlier in the thread; let's make a list of essential at-creation gear.
- comm
- Fake sin
- cred stick
- a gun

What else?
>>
>>51089374

Many thanks Omae, found it after a couple of google searches to find out the name of the book I was looking for. Also... I hate Mediafire not having a decent search button for hunting books out of 5 editions.
>>
>>51089775

- Licences
- ammo + spare clips/mags
- Lifestyle
>>
>>51089775
>>51089810

- Fixer contact (at least one per group)
>>
>>51089775
>>51089810

-Knife (you don't have to be good with it, just have something to cut yourself free of a bad situation)
>>
>only characters with a magic score can have a mentor spirit
Does anyone else think this is a tiny bit bullshit? I can easily imagine a character that really puts the "samurai" into street samurai and has an ancestral mentor spirit.
>>
>>51089861
In that case just get Sensei and say it's a free spirit who is one
>>
>>51089861

I can see your line of logic here, I really can, but, the problem is that it would otherwise just be fluff, since mentor spirits offer no benefits to mundane individuals.

You could talk to your GM about just fluffing it. it doesn't give him benefits or anything like that, but there's 'something' watching over him.
>>
>>51089775
some non-lethal weaponry (or some gel rounds) or everyone, unless you're going full pink mohawk
grenades on at least one person (flash, smoke)
med-kit (one per group minimum)
>>
>>51089359
I'm planning on whipping up something myself (mostly to touch on the more dubious parts of the setting without actually going full ERP before later on).
If you're fine with dropping the links in the thread, I'd be interested in having them for the future (and so would a few other people here, I figure), but if you want to keep it private, I understand.
I could probably search on Flist if I wanted to, but since you use it too, you can probably figure out why I don't want to search that site.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3984x2241px
Which books cover London?
>>
>>51089474
>thinking Shadowrun writers know or care
>>
>>51090261
The London book, mostly.
>>
File: 1475119210444.jpg (449KB, 1024x2156px) Image search: [Google]
1475119210444.jpg
449KB, 1024x2156px
>>51080351
Ye of little faith. I'm pretty confident that it's going to be out in 2017, if Hardy ever wants to move his ass and actually edit something. The bulk of the writing is done, by Mac and whoever the other guy working on it is.
>>
>>51090863
>it was slated as a cheapo 20-page PDF addon
>Mac and the other clown just couldn't contain themselves and whipped up a whole goddamn book

I doubt it'll look good. Either Hardy will do a half-assed job, or he'll chop out vast swathes of the book just so it can be shipped in the state they originally hired them for.
>>
>>51088839
Most of my games are with people on F-List so its not unusual for me to post them there. There are probably more fa/tg/uys on F-List than there are in any given Game Finder thread. My current main game is a game I found on F-List, played with a character I lewd with on F-List. I posted it in the last thread. >>51066288
>>
File: Altered Carbon Large.jpg (260KB, 1171x683px) Image search: [Google]
Altered Carbon Large.jpg
260KB, 1171x683px
>>51086217
Altered Carbon is a fantastic book; it's classic noir cyberpunk, all crazy futuretech and some poor bastard caught between forces he can't even comprehend.

The sequels are kinda shit, though; it went down a weird military scifi hole.

Netflix series when
>>
File: Coleman_Draws_Cumulative.jpg (38KB, 715x508px) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Draws_Cumulative.jpg
38KB, 715x508px
>>51087204
>>
>>51087326
>>51087216
There's enough variety in gear choices that it shouldn't be defaulted. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the basic PACKs (which exist specifically to prevent dumbshits from forgetting important things) in the core book rather than a splat, but saying that not having a fake SIN is a negative quality is a bad idea.
>>
>>51091355
Nah. It makes more sense that way, rather than an actual tax on starting character budgets.
>>
File: Paladin.jpg (132KB, 550x397px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin.jpg
132KB, 550x397px
>>51088259
>What should I do if I suspect one of the players in the team to be a vampire?

>one of the players

>players

Replace the drinks at the next session with holy water. Have a stake on standby. If all else fails, throw rice on the ground and book it.*

*warning: rice may catch regular autists as well as vampires
>>
>>51083311
Wacky/Alternative Matrix things like AI and Technomancers really need a long, hard look to make sure that there's a proper place for them in canon outside of NPC-vllle or a simple refluffing of a decker or metahuman. I get where they're drawing inspiration from, but they really need to be worked on so that they function right.
>>
File: Shadowrun vs. Dungeons & Dragons.jpg (221KB, 1343x607px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun vs. Dungeons & Dragons.jpg
221KB, 1343x607px
>>51091416
It's not a tax, it's decision making. Do you want a fake SIN? What rating? How many? What about a vehicle, a lifestyle, weapons, ammo, clothing, etc.? There's lots of choices to be made.

The game is, at it's heart, about not having the money to do what you want. Being a little bitchboy and learning the hard way that you need to buy things to live is on you being retarded.
>>
>>51091504
Nope. You can have all of that without retarded taxes.
>>
>>51091504
>There's lots of choices to be made.
Some of those choices, though, are so obvious to people who know what they're doing that offering them is a mere formality.
>>
File: 1464592319934.png (1019KB, 1020x819px) Image search: [Google]
1464592319934.png
1019KB, 1020x819px
>>51091955
Again, hence PACKs, which are specifically designed to offer people who don't want that level of personalization to grab something and go without impacting everyone else.
>>
How broad are licenses? Does my gun license cover ever restricted gun, gun accessory and ammo I own? Buying a license for every restricted you own would get expensive fast.
>>
>>51092027
Depends on the GM. Some are really anal about it. Some are super lenient.
>>
>>51092016
Well, sure, that'll help the players who have no idea what they're doing at all. But it still leaves that players on top of mount stupid liable to gimp themselves.
>>
>>51092027
I do categories.
There should be categories for Manipulation and Combat spells, but I don't use em.
>>
>>51092128
That is sort of the way it works though. Experience is gained through failure and research. That is all systems, not just Shadowrun.
>>
>>51092159
In your opinion, does the RCC license also cover any restricted drones, and does a license for restricted vehicles (which I presume includes any restricted mods) supersede a driver's license?
>>
File: 1475118844251.jpg (393KB, 718x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1475118844251.jpg
393KB, 718x1188px
>>51092128
Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot. And many of those better idiots end up working for CGL.

SR is a complex game, and it's easy to gimp yourself in any number of ways, but it's hard to do so with gear given the what's on offer. If someone does not know enough about the system to know what to get, and if they refuse to use the tools provided specifically to give them all the gear they need (and not just the basic runner equipment kits, but everything from cyberware to magic doodads) then there's not much to be done for them.

Taking away the management of fake SINs, lifestyles, and all the other purchases essential to living in the Sixth World, and replacing them with a bland "fuck up my life" negative quality isn't the way to fix that problem.
>>
>>51092215
...I hadn't thought of Drones
Shows how little my runners actually play Riggers, I suppose. You could put them in Restricted Vehicles, Hardware, RCC, or add a separate License for them. I can see any of these options being fine.

Driver's License is for the actual driving of vehicles, Restricted Vehicles is for owning your deathmachine that is somehow still Restricted (or appears to be).
>>
Does anybody else actually hate SR's system and its needless complications but still play it for the setting & lore?
>>
>>51092367
>hate
hate is such a strong word
let's say: I have had differences of opinion with it
But all in all I like it
and since I am GM and rule 0 is in effect I can just change the parts I don't like

>captcha: next du petit bois
what
>>
A Host can have up to its rating in IC active at once, and it can't have more than 1 copy of each IC out at once.

But, is a Host limited to that many IC? Like, Lets say, I have a Tar Baby IC out, and it has already linklocked/marked someone, before the decker crashes it. Could it then send out a different IC entirely?
>>
>>51093035
Hosts can deploy any IC within the limits you specified. They are not forced to replace a downed IC with an identic one.
>>
>>51089373
If you think things stack, RAW, then why aren't you buying four rating 1 muscle toners?
>>
>>51093148
Who said I wasn't?
>>
>>51093322

Probably your GM
>>
>>51093443
Who said I was telling him?
>>
>>51093664

>Not telling your GM what kind of 'ware your character has

Pretty sure you're not that stupid.
>>
>>51093773
I think he meant not telling him that stuff generally don't stack

still making him an asshole even bugs wouldn't associate with

>captcha: 1100 begon
see, even captcha tells him to fuck off
>>
>>51093773
Stop replying. Holy shit.
>>
>>51093929

Nah, I got an hour to kill before my group arrives.
>>
>>51087808
>>51087887
I like to use the NAN states as a setting because they're sort of an iconic part of the universe and I play with some natives. They aren't particularly mad about SR's portrayal of natives, just sort of annoyed. As badass as the NAN are they don't have much in common with actual natives. They don't win as people, they win as mystical cartoon characters who go on about THE LAND and harmony and who wear feathery head dresses.

But since SR is already full of mystical cartoon characters who embody outdated culture stereotypes it sort of slides. It's not a good portrayal by any means but in context it's not that bad.

When I run it I treat it like any other dytopian region. The headdress, bonewearing thing is a cultural fad popular with tag-along, mostly white metis. There is still a lot of tension between tribes. Tribal leaders are politicians who have to deal with a country that was founded by an angry wizard who embodied an outdated way of life.
It's a territory filled with poor angry people who feel they should be having a better life than what they actually got.
Magic is everywhere but people are still learning how to use it, turns out spirits don't see race, they don't give breaks just because you're red, neither do the paracritters.

A lot of this is covered in the books, but for some reason the stupid "magical-red-man" stuff comes first.
>>
>>51093035
Generally, hosts will have an automated order to the IC they deploy, including orders about what to do when one is crashed.

The security spider, and possibly other security personnel, can ask for an out of order or not normally called IC to be brought up next and probably even give priority to keeping it up.
>>
>>51094757

Mostly I was just making sure that Hosts weren't like decks and had just [host] programs to deploy.
>>
>>51093773
>>51093853
>>51093929
Holy shit, you fucking autists. I literally said in a previous post that this whole thing was a joke.
>>
>>51094878
Poe's law, chummer
sarcasm is not yet a part of TCPIP
And honestly I can imagine there being people that actually do this
It's why /sci/ is so easy to troll: everything you say where you think "they will obviously see that I am just joking, nobody in real life is this dumb"? there are people that ARE this dumb
>>
>>51094925
Whoever invents a sarcasm font should win a goddamn Nobel Peace Prize.
>>
>>51095134

One already exists, what we need is to get it in the Unicode standard. Put it in the emoji section to guarantee vendor support
>>
I'm new to tabletop in general but shadowrun has really caught my eye. Problem is, i dont have a whole lot of people to get a game running right now, but my brother is interested in it too.
How hard would it be to run a Resident evil style one shot?
>>
>>51095252

if its RE style (Assuming you mean the original games) I could see you running with one person, as long as you drop along NPC's for non-combat help (A decker to lower a bridge, for example).

Just make sure they are built for combat (not hard lol)
>>
Do you guys actually randomly roll for low level SURGE? I just tell my players to stick within the guidelines presented for Class 1 & 2 for positive attributes and we work together to pick good disadvantages.
>>
>>51095465
Given the absurd tax SURGE 3 is? There's really no good reason for SURGE 1/2 to absolutely require rolling.
>>
>>51095465
Personally? Not at all
>>
>>51095567
>>51095670
Glad to know I'm not the only dirty cheater.

>>51095252
What does Resident Evil style mean?
>>
>>51095924
A Jill Sandwich.
>>
>>51095924
>What does Resident Evil style mean?
a miserable pile of sequels
oh wait, wrong series
>>
>>51095924
I guess i mean in the general setup of the first game. One central location split into subsections, traps and puzzles and whatnot. I was thinking his character would be a part of a security group/runner team sent to investigate to get the shenanigans started.
>>
>>51095948
Sweet Jesus no
>>
Should I bother with Focused Concentration?
>>
>>51096051
It's useful, but replacable, especially if most of your sustains are of the same category and/or you're willing to spend lots of reagents to really get the most out of a lot of mid-to-low level foci.

The other side of the argument is that the universality is worth the cost all on its own.
>>
>>51096051
The best parts about Focused Concentration are that its universal, you can use it with Heal or Improved Invisiblity, and that it can't be taken away from you like a Focus can.
Just like Foci, low rating Focused Concentration can be pushed with reagents, but that requires carrying something that could be taken away from you.
>>
>>51096188
Solution: Don't let people take things from you.
>>
>>51096411

I think he means less 'being taken' and more "enemy mage attacking and damaging it"
>>
File: ix.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ix.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Who wants to see my finalized semi-edgelord gun adept?
>>
>>51081952
Another downside you might add is that there is an extra essence loss if you remove integrated chrome. Make it 25% in reflection of the benefit. Say, some bit on your arms costs 1 essence normally, is reduced to .75 by the nanos. Then if your remove it your essence stays lost and you lose an additional .5 essence, bringing up total essence lost from fucking around with chrome bits in your arm to 1.25. However, if a new bit of chrome is added to your arm equal or less than 1.25 essence loss it does not incur additional essence loss. If you remove that 1.25 essence chrome piece, though the damage from removal multiplied by the nanos is applied again, at 1.5625

You could probably only a couple of things one time only after the first integration or else you risk becoming a cyberzombie, except without many cyber parts to show for it. Bunraku parlors would love this, thoigj
>>
File: 1392476458284.jpg (190KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
1392476458284.jpg
190KB, 704x396px
>>51096558
>Facial tattoo of a Roman numeral
>Gun Kata
>Prejudice (Cops)

But sure, yeah, I'll run with him.
>>
>>51096816
I actually forgot I had prejudice cops. That might get changed.
>>
New to 5e.
Is it just me or does the entire series of rules and supposed "options" thus edition gives you have this staggeringly arrogant air of "play the game ONLY the way we want you to play it and have fun ONLY the way we want you to have it"?

It's extremely off-putting to me as a new player and makes me wonder if this is even worth playing without a mountains worth of houserules.
>>
>>51097062
>New to 5e.
you got here from a previous edition or from outside of SR?
>>
>>51097062
No, that is just /srg/. Bunch of slack-jawed, Armored Jacket wearing, Wired Reflex 3 totting, Predator V wielding faggots.
>>
>>51097114
>Predator V
>not an automatic of some sort
>>
>>51097114
Nah, the authors intentionally made some shit bad so you wouldn't play it, like infected and AIs.
>>
>>51097095
I played some SR3 and SR4, read through and memorized most of the rules (something I'm good at) for SR4. Nice to see that Matrix rules are still an ungodly clusterfuck since I've been gone BTW, it's reassuring to know that some problems are literally impossible to fix apparently.

Never GMed either edition and though I am now asked to GM SR5, I am seeing precious little to agree to this and instead just tell them to pick a different game because this one only "works" if you're either a complete idiot who doesn't know when he's swallowing rat shit or if you add a ton of house rules.
>>
>>51097114
>Predator V
>not a Ruger Super Warhawk
It's like you want to have anything less than the biggest fuck-off boomstick you can hold with one hand. Also this
>>51097156
>>
>>51097178
Any particular examples?
>>
>>51097174
That's what I thought.
My thinking is if you don't want people to play it don't bother including stats for playing them, and if you don't want people to have fun in ways you don't approve of then make a fucking boardgame where individual imagination has no place.

None of this passive-aggressive bullshit that I'm seeing all over every book of SR5
>>
>>51097230
I gotta say, that pisses me off too.
And it's basically in every edition of shadowrun, new and old.
>>
>>51097204
Cyberware cost changes.
Already Magic-using characters had some advantages, but the cyberware costs jacking up means that Awakened have an even stronger initial advantage then before.
I noticed right away that they were basically using older-edition prices for cyberware, but that fails to take into account the literally completely different dice resolution mechanics in SR5 compared to SR3, leading to immediate balance problems.

It's like literally no one playtested this and nobody put it through any editing whatsoever.
>>
>>51097265
I'm not a general fan of any kind of "nerd elitism" in trpg's because it's by far the most pathetic thing I've seen in human behavior overall; it's finding stupid artificial reasons to look down on OTHER nerds and regular people because they haven't accomplished the level of figity insularity you have build yourself.
It's like trying being the coolest kid with Down's Syndrome or something; you still have fucking Down's Syndrome, so you loose no matter what.
>>
>>51097286
>bitching about cyberware costs
You'll fit right in, chummer.
>>
File: 1463379853497.jpg (66KB, 543x549px) Image search: [Google]
1463379853497.jpg
66KB, 543x549px
>>51097398
Seems more like shitty balance than elitism to me, but whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>51097401
I'll start bitching if I actually start playing.
Right now I'm questing the design logic of hobbling a group of players that already is at a long-term disadvantage, and curious if anyone on here has any answers for these bizarre rules changes without taking into account the different rolling system.
>>
>>51097456
It IS shitty balance, but done so frequently and so often that it has to be deliberate, and thus they are passively aggressively discouraging anyone playing their game "wrongly", as if their method of enjoying is somehow objectively superior.
Now, as I don't regularly play SR I'm not particularly invested in this one way or another, but that is a strongly off-putting elitist belief, that your way of having fun is the "correct" one.
>>
>>51097533
You seriously underestimate how badly Shadowrun is balanced. Its not even on purpose. They are just really bad at it. They are also bad at editing. Like, extremely bad.
>>
>>51097533
>that it has to be deliberate
I find it's easier to believe that CGL is just completely fucking incompetent, considering the slew of issues in every sector of the book and horribly editing fuckups.
That and all the corruption.
>>
>>51097614
but we have had authors quoted as saying they made some things bad on purpose.
>>
>>51097629
Wasn't that just infected, or am I misremembering here.
>>
>>51097659
I don't fucking know, even that is enough proof to suggest other things.
>>
>>51097659
He may also mean Howling "if you want it you should catch it" Shadows
>>
>>51097592, >>51097614, >>51097629
Unfortunate.
I was planning on buying several books if this edition was entertaining and so was my group, but it's looking more and more like we're just not going to play this until there's a universally accepted set of fixes for these problems in play.

Curious how it got this way BTW; I remember SR4's early books having problems but at least be decent in quality. These rules are just AWFUL and the editing is even worse.
>>
>>51097686
I have no clue what you're smoking. The problem with SR5 is that its editing is garbage - the rules are leagues beyond SR4.
>>
>>51097686
>buying several books
for what reason?
All the books are in the OP pastebin
>>
>>51097713
Because he's a fragging moron; Just look at how he thinks of SR4's ''quality''.
>>
>>51097705
I like some of the rules and they seem to work, but others are weird.
This is one of those things where the core mechanic seems relatively solid (Limits are odd but I actually get them and they aren't as limiting as they initially seem), but everything they add on PAST the core mechanic is a complete mess.
>>51097713
We support games we enjoy with money.
We're all professionals and make the cash to do so and this is a niche market that needs support from fans to be profitable.
>>
>>51097686
What the hell does your group want to play? An AI, a technomancer and their 4 infected buttbuddies? 5e handles the majority of archetypes just fine; it's only the weirder ones that CGL bungled.
>>
>>51097762
SR4's early quality came from editing, not from rules. I can't speak to the later problems I heard the line had (could anyone explain why that was BTW?), because I haven't actually played SR in years.
Also, are you literally unironically using the silly 90's cartoon family-friendly swearing from SR3? That's hilarious.
>>
>>51097830

The PG-13 future cursing and slang is part of the cheesy charm omae
>>
>>51097820
Actually we're fairly vanilla.
I just dislike gamelines that give options only to deliberately make them bad. It's more cost-effective to just NOT give them and sends your message clearer too.
The KarmaGen stuff is odd here and there too, but this is a personal taste opinion and not a "why did they even do this" query.
>>
>>51097861
I always felt it rather silly, but I enjoyed it.
In the game, mind you.
>>
File: Coleman_Draws_Individual.jpg (96KB, 899x439px) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Draws_Individual.jpg
96KB, 899x439px
>>51097686
Halfway through SR4 (around 2010, iirc) L. Coleman (and possibly some other people) started embezzling money. They stopped paying the writers, they didn't pay the printers, they didn't pay people who they were licensing other products from and they didn't pay their overseas partners. About a million dollars were taken, all told.

Because of that, CGL lost a lot; the quality writers (and even most of the not good ones) left for new jobs, licenses like Eclipse Phase and Cthulhutech were taken back by the IP owners, and shit got really rocky with Pegasus and the French guys. At the end of the day, pretty much the only people working on Shadowrun were the die-hards with battered wife syndrome, Hardy who helped Coleman embezzle (including telling an accountant to hide the paperwork), and freelancers like Bull who traded internet white knighting and willingness to work for nothing into careers.

Two things to note from this:
1) I don't know if Coleman ever paid back the money. He transferred his ownership stuff to his wife (it's not a public company and they don't disclose even how many owners there are, so I don't know if it was shares or a board seat or what).
2) At one point CGL was so gutted that one guy had his wife come in evenings to pack up boxes of books to ship out.

>>51097762
4e, despite not having as good rules as 5e (due to development and seeing the problem) had a lot better writing. It stands out especially in fiction, and you can take an early 4e book and compare it to an end-of-cycle one to see just how bad things got.
>>
>>51097830
Oh is that what frag is? Funny, it always struck me more as a new word someone had come up with for ruin.
>>
How hard is it to GM 5th edition with everyone involved is not understanding how the game works?

The person who's GMing now is severely disinterested and sounds like he doesn't know the game either.
>>
File: CGL Embezzlement Apology.png (558KB, 1045x763px) Image search: [Google]
CGL Embezzlement Apology.png
558KB, 1045x763px
>>51097898
>Halfway through SR4 (around 2010, iirc) L. Coleman (and possibly some other people) started embezzling money

I should say 2010 was when it really became public, because writers started saying that they hadn't been paid in many months. The theft started earlier, as seen in that pic.

Here's a related one, the 'apology' they made afterwards.
>>
Racist phrase to say to a dwarf: Go home and get your fucking shine box
>>
>>51097921

about as easy as anything else.
>>
>>51097872
>Actually we're fairly vanilla.
So you're upset purely on principal?
>>
>>51097935
Go back to Ferngully! (works best on native dwarves).
>>
>>51097921
>with everyone involved is not understanding how the game works
Awful.
Trying to explain to your players how to play their characters is bad enough in a simple game with largely homogeneous mechanics, but in something like SR where most archetypes have their own specific bullshit going on it's fucking cancer.
>>
>>51097898
That is considerably worse then I what I thought the story would be. I definitely can't buy the books now, as from the description of your story I'm guessing he STILL works at CGL despite committing a literal felony?
>>
>>51097954
Actually you want to use that one on pixies.
>>
>>51097970
>he STILL works at CGL despite committing a literal felony?
chummer, he's still the boss
nothing has changed
well, except the quality, proofreading and writers getting worse
>>
>>51097970
>STILL works at CGL despite committing a literal felony?
Yyyyyyup.
>>
>>51097978
Yeah, but how often are you going to meet a pixie? Keep your racism within scope.
>>
>>51097902
It's the kind of silly "swear" they'd make "badass" characters say in a heavily censored cartoon, like that old SWAT Kats show having the heroes say "crud" all the time.
>>51097932
Wow.
That's so unapologetic that it's offensive. And they never even got paid even though THEY were the ones being ripped off?
>>
>>51097943
Perplexed, is more like it.
Like I said, I have zero emotional investment in this game personally. I'm checking it out because my group wanted me to do some scouting on 5e.
>>51097989, >>51097990
The irony that what must be one of CGL's most popular games is largely about opposing (even if only in small ways) corrupt corporations and cheating executives is not lost to me.

It's also pretty disgusting.
>>
>>51098017
>And they never even got paid even though THEY were the ones being ripped off?
nope
you understand why we have qualms against giving them money that we are sure will never reach the writers, artist, proofreaders and so on?
>>
>>51098017
>And they never even got paid even though THEY were the ones being ripped off?

I'm actually unclear on that point. Freelancers have confirmed that they did eventually get their back pay. The EP and CT guys left after a bit of legal shenanigans, and it seems they took control back in lieu of payments.

What I don't know is if Coleman ever paid back the money. I'v heard people say that 'rectify the situation' is legalese for "he's going to pay us back or we're going to fuck him with a cyberspur", but he also still lives in the giant house he built with embezzlement money, so I dunno.
>>
>>51098081
I'm not a particularly violent person, but I think if that happened I would be inclined to injure him in a fairly felonious fashion.
Not even joking; the least you could do to a guy like that I'd leave him with a hospital bill to remember not to do it again.
>>
>>51098104
so what you'd want to do, if I read that right
is to hire runners against him?
>>
File: CGL Distribution.jpg (389KB, 1150x386px) Image search: [Google]
CGL Distribution.jpg
389KB, 1150x386px
>>51098119
That was a joke that was bandied about a lot on the forums when this went on. At least, those forums outside of CGL-and-ally control, which eradicated every thread that went near the topic. Thanks, Bull.
>>
>>51098119
No, if it were me and I worked there I'd probably be too angry to do anything except work him over myself.
I'm not like a hugely super-strong brute or anything but it's not difficult to severely injure a person when you are generally focused on causing them lots of pain.
All you need is a baseball bat, really.

Makes me glad it's not me or anything because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even feel bad and I know if I was so personally insulted AND robbed I'd do it and not even think twice about it, probably feel great afterword despite the immediate jail time.
>>
>>51098144
So who is this "Bull" guy anyway?
Aside from a massive suck-up it sounds like?
>>
>>51097174
Wait, how are infected bad? Regeneration is broken as shit.
>>
>>51098246
They're so incompetent with their own rules they fucked up making them bad like they admitted to.
I could not make this up.
>>
>>51097629
>>51097659
That was /SRG/ misremembering Patrick Goodman saying he wanted to make Infected bad/npc only/other stuff, but Hardy said no.
>>
>>51098246
>Regeneration is broken as shit.
Regeneration is only available to Strain I (of which only a couple are sapient, rather than mindlessly unplayable monsters), only available for post-chargen purchase, and the amount of karma required to first buy in to being a vampire and then buy in to having regeneration after that is absolutely staggering.

On top of that, damage dealt to you by spells, weapon foci, killing hands, or anything else magical isn't subject to Regeneration, nor is any damage dealt to you by any of your allergies/banes.

Don't get me wrong - Regeneration is good. But for how much it costs you, you could have just taken the options necessary to conjure a Great Form Plant Spirit and enjoy Regeneration that way instead.
>>
>>51098237
Steven "Bull" Ratkovich. He was a freelancer and mod for Shadowrun, most notable for getting his orc decker PC (William McCallister, street name Bull) a place in the canon as a super-cool guy with an assault cannon and some in-universe video games based on him. For his sterling service during the Great Cock-Up of 2010 he got a staff position. Now he's in charge of Missions, and Bull the character is a lead mod on JackPoint.

He's not actually a terrible author, and he's toned down the self-insert shit (thank Ghost we don't have to read about Bull's relationship with his daughter anymore), but he is so blinded by the idea of getting to write SR that he actively covered up the worst shit CGL did, refusing to believe anything that was told to him.
>>
>>51098102
>I'm actually unclear on that point. Freelancers have confirmed that they did eventually get their back pay
Some. Others are on record as writing off ever getting any money, ever, and releasing their unfinished works to the fans.
>>
>>51098405
Don't forget that he is -canonically- the one who had the honor of playing the Harlequin mission.
>>
>>51098405
That's pretty hilariously sad.
Man, I kept hearing around /tg/ that CGL had problems of some kind but this just blows all my assumptions out of the water.
>>
>>51098449
The only one I've heard say anything like that is Trollman, and given how many bridges he burned and how outright hostile he was during the whole situation (not without cause, but still 4chan levels of mad) I'm not surprised if they fucked him over. Got sauce on more?
>>
>>51098467
It's been years since I played that, but that's a dubious honor at best isn't it?
I seem to recall doing a lot when I was GMed that but not actually DOING a lot, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>51098319
>Strain I (of which only a couple are sapient, rather than mindlessly unplayable monsters)
Nope. They're all thinking, reasoning, playable PC options.
>>
>>51098525
>They're all thinking, reasoning, playable
They all have stats. Being thinking, reasoning, and playable is another matter entirely. You have to go to the fluff for that.

Some of them are strictly, 100% feral.
>>
Head's up, some poor bastard's started working on an android app to view Chummer characters. Currently in early days, but it seems neat. Name is awful though. No official integration with Chummer aside from my spruiking it here, so don't pester me about issues with it.

https://github.com/oddmage/andrummer/releases

>>51098496
AncientHistory, for one. Of all the people to fuck over, they burned the closest thing to a lore bible they have.

>>51098144
I'll say this for the collector's books, their cover art is a million times better than what's on the hardcovers.
>>
>>51098515
What he meant is that canonically Bull was the the one doing the stuff in the adventure
>>
>>51098592
ETA on -finally- integrating Shapeshifters into Chummer 5?
>>
>>51098612
Not sure, I got annoyed at figuring out how to make the attribute switching behave properly and started working on adept powers again instead. One of the other devs is looking into it for me, but he disappears for weeks at a time so it's hard to say. Soon™?
>>
File: Crash.jpg (69KB, 478x622px) Image search: [Google]
Crash.jpg
69KB, 478x622px
>>51098592
Hey, Yekka, I can't seem to launch Chummer at all. It just crashes and gives this error
>>
>>51098560
I get that you don't like the thought of people playing Infected (or whatever your booty bothered problem is), but no strain is strictly 100% feral.
>>
>>51098675
From what I understand most of the infected have ferals in their ranks but every infected metatype presented in Run Faster is playable.
>>
>>51098673
do you have a character sheet with no art file?
that problem's been here for some while
>>
>>51098673
Issue is probably with one of your characters that might not have a mugshot image. If you open regedit and go to HKCU\Software\Chummer5 and delete the MRU files, it should clear up.
>>
>>51098675
>no strain is strictly 100% feral

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Dzoo-noo-qua
>all have been found to be non-sentient

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Goblin
>Goblin sentience is still a debated topic among most of the parabiological establishment, as most observed specimens have suffered a significant loss of intellect, with many individuals seeming to be no more intelligent than the great apes

Wendigo and Banshee are still sapient (though the Wendigo has feeding habits that make it even less capable of being part of a runner group than other Infected).

But if you have a Dzoo-noo-qua or a Goblin still capable of communication, you're playing against the canon.

Just because there's stats for making one of those monsters doesn't mean they're an actual proper player option.
>>
>>51098756
>HKCU\Software\Chummer5 and delete the MRU files
I can't seem to find what you're talking about. Is there a search function?

>>51098743
I had a character with a mugshot, yeah, but this is happening on fresh downloads of it, too
>>
>>51098821
go to your start menu, type in regedit, go to HKey_Current_User\Software\Chummer5 and delete the MRU files there
>>
>>51098853
No, no. I'm in regedit, I can't find what he's referring to
>>
>>51087834
I'm fascinated by how someone can just lie on the internet and people will believe them.
>>
>>51098866
Let's just all call me a fucking retard, 'cause I found it staring me in the face
>>
File: Every Morning.gif (967KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Every Morning.gif
967KB, 500x281px
>>51098592
>they screwed AncientHistory
>>
>>51098800

isn't Clockwork a Goblin?
>>
>>51098932
A HOBgoblin.
>>
>>51098932
Hobgoblin.
Also given how he appeared in older publications he must be REALLY old for an ork.
>>
Mystic Adepts.
What can you tell me about 'em?
Are there any roles they're suited for?
Roles they are not?
>>
>>51098932
nah, as said he's a hobgoblin
his sentience is still debated
>>
>>51098756
Yekka, a weird problem I've encountered:

If you use sum to 10 and have a magical character and take a magical specialization (such as Assensing), and then try to change your priority, it deletes the entire Assensing table. It just, totally disappears. I haven't tried it with Priority yet but it may be the same way.
>>
>>51098999
Mystic Adepts: When you want to be a magician and an adept but want to do both half-assedly.
>>
>>51098932
He's a Hobgoblin - which is the Persian metavariant of an Ork - rather than a Goblin - which is the HMHVV I Infected version of a Dwarf.

Good question, though.
>>
>>51099060
>>51099016
>>51098951
>>51098940

My bad.
>>
>>51099016
Go back to bed, Slamm-0! Haze should be finished with Netcat by now.
>>
>>51098853
>>51098756
Alright, yeah, that cleared it right up. ANd just to be safe, I deleted the mugshot on the character that caused it
>>
>>51099084
Wait, which one is Haze?
>>
>>51099085
see
>>51098896
It's about LACKING a mugshot.
>>
>>51099100
The magic rapist.
>>
>>51099117
Eugh.
>>
>>51099117
Is it really rape if you force them to feel the most mind-blowing orgasms they've ever felt every time you thrust into them and replace every negative memory they've had of you with mindless lust so that by the time you finish emptying yourself into their tight elven holes all they can think of is how slutty they feel that if given a choice between their husband and child and feeling these orgasms again they'd tearfully pick your cock?
>>
>>51099371
yes
>>
>>51099371

yes*

*no**

**It is directly proportionate to how narrow your definition of rape is
>>
>>51099413
Pretty much everyone agrees that drugging someone against their will and fucking them while they are unable to resist is rape. Replace drugs with magic and you have Haze.
>>
>>51099510

>pretty much everyone

at least magic doesn't come with addictive side effects, as well the fact that magic cleanup doesn't mean rape babies.
>>
>>51099030
You can't take Assensing unless you have the Astral Perception ability. When you change priority it may be removing it as appropriate.
>>
>>51099619
>at least magic doesn't come with addictive side effects
Your earlier post suggests otherwise.
>>
>>51099653
It literally removes it entirely. As in, it ceases to exist. Changing priority back? It's still gone.
>>
>>51097935
fuck off garden gnome.
>>
>>51099659
It's almost like you're actually triggered.
>>
>>51099659

Nah, that wasn't me. That was someone else. I don't quite agree with the whole mindwashing bit, but a lesser degree of mindfucking them with magic isn't so bad.
>>
>>51099684
Hey man, I'm just a big fan of monogamy.
>>
>>51099677
Try hitting Reapply Improvements in the Special menu. I suspect I know what's going on, that should resolve it.
>>
>>51099371
yes
>>51099619
>at least magic doesn't come with addictive side effects
Does too, tho it depends on what magic you use.
I wonder if there are people who take sustenance (the spell) as a drug.
>>
>>51099763
Nope, still gone. I should clarify one thing - when I say specialization, I mean that thing where you can choose to have 2/4/6 extra points in something.
>>
Fuck it, I'll be the fag to say it. Which one of you fucks browse Runnerhub?
>>
>>51099885
I had a guy in a game from here openly and proudly admit he went to Reddit. Fuck that guy, seriously.
>>
>>51099797
That should only be disappearing if your magical choice doesn't support it, like a Priority D Adept. Can you upload your character file somewhere and show me a screenshot of your priority selections when it disappears?

Also, new thread:
>>51099904
>>
>>51098800
Ah, ok. You're stuck in the past. Ghouls were thought to be 100% feral if you go backwards in edition far enough, too.
>>
>>51100130
There is no character file to upload, I repeat these tests with brand-new characters to be absolutely certain.

> a screenshot of your priority selections when it disappears?
No, not in the priority selections, it flat-out disappears in the actual skills tab.

As I said, follow these steps to recreate the problem:
Use sum to 10.
Make a magical character. Give them the magical specialty in, for example, Assensing.
Now then, change the priority. Even if it's just to change around which gets the specialization.
It literally disappears.
Thread posts: 390
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.