[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What rules do you enforce at the table, GMs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 18

File: 1442379382833.jpg (438KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1442379382833.jpg
438KB, 1280x720px
What rules do you enforce at the table, GMs?
>>
>>51079053
I feel like mine are pretty reasonable:

>No cell phones.
>You roleplay your own character (I tell you you attack is a success, you roll damage and then tell us all the flavor specifics to match).
>No talking to other players about the game if your characters aren't in the same location.
>Don't be a cunt

That's basically it?

While I don't enforce this, I encourage everyone to bring food and drinks so that it doesn't always fall the the host.
>>
1) Unless the game is specifically and explicitly about PC-on-PC conflict/tension/mistrust, every character comes to the table acquainted to and willing to work with at least one other character on a more than purely professional basis.
2) I recognize that because we game online we're in front of a distraction-box, but if it takes more than 5 minutes for you to even say "hold up I'm typing up a big post," we'll move on without you.

Pretty much everything else is down to the fact I only game with friends or friends of friends, so "don't be a cunt," etc.
>>
>>51079053
Mostly no phones and the whole player knowledge vs. character knowledge stuff.

My groups pretty new so I don't want to be too harsh on roleplaying and shit until they're comfortable and they don't have enough knowledge to powergame it and ruin sessions like that so don't need to worry too much.
As long as they pay attention it's all good.
We're all friends so people normally just follow social rules and shit
>>
The no cell phone rule seems to be present in most games, but I have a player who refuses to use a character sheet and instead uses their phone.
>>
>>51079125
>>51079295
This, plus no smoking (in the house).

I have a 5 to 10 minute break every hour or so, so people can check their phones and step outside to smoke.
>>
No jerkin off
>>
>>51079053
I, THE SUPREME GM MUST WEAR MY MAGIC HAT AND ROBES.

THEY'RE NOT ON USE BECAUSE I'M SALTY AT EVERYONE NOT INVITING ME AT ANY COSTUME PARTY.
>>
No technology at the table
>>
>>51079053
1) I prefer DMing the full party, but I will do it if one of the players is missing too. If two can't make it, session is canceled. Character of the player who can't make it is played by someone else in combat.
2) The party may acquire NPC followers due to plot reasons. In combat, they are controlled by the players.
3) I deal psychic damage to PCs of the players, who can't separate their IC and OOC knowledge. It scales with level, so it's always a threat.
>>
>no tech
Why though?
As long as your players aren't constantly using them and paying attention, whatsamatter?
>>
>>51080699
>As long as your players aren't constantly using them and paying attention, whatsamatter?
Players are animals and will just constantly use their tech and ignore other people. Fucking barbarians.
>>
>>51080699
because you aren't paying attention. Even if you think you are, you aren't really, and everyone else deserves the same courtesy of everyone's undivided attention as what you got when it was your scene, you twat.
>>
We play on my lounge room floor and I don't care if you smoke, drink or whatever but no phones and don't get my books dirty.
>>
>>51080699
I would allow them a single WiFi disabled tablet with .pdf files of all of the rulebooks., reference art, maps, or notes.

That's it, you don't need anything else while you're at the table.

>>51080609
psychic damage for OOC knowledge is an interesting idea. I imagine you've had lashback to this? How has it gone for you?
>>
COASTERS

YOU DOUBLE NIGGERS
>>
>>51080792
I am the DM, and I'm the only DM they will ever have. This broadens my options by a lot. I would say that violence is inherent in my system.
>>
>>51080712
Really not a problem unless you're playing with backwards imps. Get better players lol.
>>51080747
There are 4 of us that have been playing for 3/4 years and we've all known each other in some capacity for twice that long.
Nobody cares...as long as a phone is silenced, I don't kill their characters.
>>51080792
>I would allow them a single WiFi disabled tablet with .pdf files of all of the rulebooks
I think this totally reasonable middle ground.
>>
"I'm going to advise against doing that. But, if you roll, there's no going back."
>>
>>51080747
I love people trying to call me out on this when I have the laptop out as if I'm not paying attention, then throwing a fit because it turns out I was.(and then them being rooms by the DM to stop disrupting the game)

For the record, the laptop is only because we have one friend of the DM that refuses to play anything but Summoners no matter the system, and is also terrible at playing them, so his turns ends up taking upwards of 30 minutes sometimes.
>>
>>51082385
>we have one friend of the DM that refuses to play anything but Summoners no matter the system
Well tell him to fuc---
>friend of the DM
This isn't a thread for you.
>>
>>51079566
Boot 'em, there's no excuse to not use a character sheet.
>>
>>51082883
>character sheet
Yeah those things that clutter up the table.
>>
>no stealing from other pcs or pc battling to the death unless both players agree to it beforehand
>if you want to run a game, get the rules
>don't spill drinks
>don't eat all the snacks but bring none
>no smoking
>any dice you roll off the table are automatic zeros
>>
no brown liquor and no box wine at the gaming table.

clear spirits, beers and wine which comes in a bottle is fine.
>>
>>51079053
Have fun_______________________
>>
>If I didn't see a roll it didn't happen
Self explanatory
>Only dice on the table count, if it fell off, roll it again
Our table is small so I have to make allowances for that.
>If you take too long deciding what to do on your turn in combat, your turn is skipped
I had a problem with people not paying attention during the turn of others and then taking too long to decide what to do and catching up to what happened during the combat round.
>If I ask you about your character stat and you give me an answer, I'm using it as is even if its worse than what you really have.
Basically, if I ask one of my players something like "How much damage do you do" and they give me a number but later it turns out that they forgot to add a +2 they got from some rule that they should have, tough shit, the damage is what I was told.
>If you declared it, it happened, no takebacks
Also self explanatory
>If you take too long OOC, the game world moves on without you.
This is to avoid long planning sessions my players used to have OOC, while there was no way for their characters to have that much time to plan IC.

Basically most of the rules I enforce involve making the game run faster and more fluid.
>>
File: 1483427237137.jpg (24KB, 480x341px) Image search: [Google]
1483427237137.jpg
24KB, 480x341px
>>51079053
We have a 'no memes' rule.
Everybody gets to spout 2 memes per session at most. If you vomit up a 3rd one, you're kicked from the table for that session regardless of the current game state.
>>
I play with my close friends only friends so rules are lax. However, I do have more "guidelines" than rules.

>Refer to each other as in-character names, even out of character

Helps with RPing for people who may be uncomfortable with it at first.

>Don't talk over the DM

Talking and communicating is fine, its a social game for fuck's sake, but try not to shout over the me when I'm trying to set the scene or tell you guys information. Two of them have a big problem with this where they will literally interrupt what im saying to make a pun and make the other laugh.
>>
>>51081888
Witnessed.

Also, I use the same thing. Standard "are you really sure you want to do that." I decided not to kill off a PC in their player's second session, so the acid just dissolvee their clothes, spell focus, armor, weapons and money.

Other houserules...

>If you need a break just flag it with me before you get up. If there's something urgent on the way I'll let you know or delay it.
>Don't PvP unless you have a solid in-character reason to do it. Discuss it with me in advance.
>You get XP for clearing obstacles, not for kills. Not everything's intended as a combat encounter, or even as a winnable puzzle.
>If you cheese the system I'll cheese back.
>>
>>51079053
>Spill shit on my stuff and I'll cut you
>Read or sneak a look at my notes and your character will become the plaything of the gods
>Don't be a dick
>Arguing with the GM about how shitty I am at it, despite you being unable to even manage to create a dungeon yourself, is grounds for being called a faggot
>If I buy pizza, pay me back, because this shit is horrendously expensive
>If you want pizza, food, snacks or drinks, bring them yourself or bring money; other players shouldn't have to cover you every damned time
>Seriously, spill shit on my stuff and don't apologize and help me clean, and I'll fucking cut you
>If you pick up the dice when it's been rolled before I get a chance to see it, and the players who aren't untrustworthy cunts can't confirm what it was, you get a -5 and I make you re roll
>Tell me how my NPC's are meant to act because of how you think they're meant to act, and I'll politely inform you that you're fucking retarded and you need to listen more
>If you cut me off and interrupt me for stupid shit when I'm RPing as an NPC, I'll just assume you don't care and stop talking. Any missed information is your fault

I probably come off as a huge twat, but really these are just rules that fall under "don't be a dick". I've only had trouble with one player, and he's probably gonna be kicked soon for his bullshit.
>>
>>51079053
The fucking book you were suppose to read.
>>
>>51080609
I wish I could copy your rule one, but my group has grown to around 7 players. 3 of whom are flaky as fuck, and can't work out if they want to play or not. It's always "I've always wanted to try!" and then they show up, make a character, we write them in, and then they don't show again, or if they do it's sporadic at best.

Kinda pissin' me off. I put a lot of work into this stuff, and then they come along and fuck with my storyline because they can't be assed sending me a text that says "Hey bro I'm coming tonight" a few hours in advance.
>>
>>51087486
I'm struggling to adjust to using character names, but it's really helping. There is one girl who's boyfriend dragged her along though, and she enjoys the game, but won't make a serious character name, and won't use other character names. Won't RP either. We finally got her to at least go along with it by just making her swap to character names. It was weird.
>>
>>51087483
>things I wish I could do IRL but can't, so I will lie on /tg/ about it
>>
File: 1373769271557.png (19KB, 290x705px) Image search: [Google]
1373769271557.png
19KB, 290x705px
>>51087990
so much this

come on guys, I gotta DM and do like 800 things, the LEAST you can do is know what class features you have
>>
>>51079053
> No phones
> No smoking
Stinks.
> No spirits at the gaming table
A beer or cider is fine, but you can't game while drunk.
> No weed. At all.
I have a game to run, and weed fucks with my head and my ability to stand up.
> You spill it, you clear it up RIGHT NOW before it gets into anything, and you help clear up other people's spills if you're able.
Spillages happen.
> Don't be a dick
But then, I don't play with dicks.
> Roll on the table, where people can see it, reroll it if it falls off the table.
> Lore is subject to change depending on my whim as the GM.
> Don't interrupt the GM or you take damage.
> No music.

>>51080553
My handwriting is awful, and I can just switch the wireless off on my laptop if it's distracting me.
Also, my DM notes are on there, and I can use steam to send players notes.
>>
File: sad_techpriest.jpg (94KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
sad_techpriest.jpg
94KB, 720x540px
>>51080553
>>
Use a game science d20, It's a couple of bucks or at the very least translucent factory firsts. Fuck those Chinese factory second dice, you don't need a pound of shitty dice you Costco shopping mother fucker.
>>
>>51079053
I play in two groups: A small one (4 people) and an extended one (up to 9 people).
In the small one are only good friends, so game rules aside there aren't many.
The only ones of note are:
The GM is the final arbitrator
When there is a rule question that's not quickly resolved its better for the GM to make a call in the moment and look up the actual rule later than to stop the game for 10 minutes to look up minutia.
Use Character names. Don't say "Bob should just activate the trap" say "Granex should just activate the trap" or even better "Granex, you are the only one of us able to withstand this trap. You should activate it".
We also cancel the game if someone isn't able to make it, when 1/3 of the Players is missing there isn't much to be done about that.

With the large group we don't have many more rules either, the only additional ones are:
Don't be noisy while its not your turn.
Know what you want to do when it is your turn.
And (this one isn't that serious) the GM always has first dibs on all food and drink brought to the table.
For this group, we play as long as at least 4 players are there most of the time, with some exceptions (Sometimes with even less when everybody can do his thing, sometimes its canceled with 4+1 if theres an epic fight planned or if the GM was on the brink of cancelling as well)
>>
>>51083655
>>any dice you roll off the table are automatic zeros
That's harsh man.
Everyone I have ever met plays that dice that go off the table are always rerolled.
>>
I don't like retro rolls, if you forget to roll something and you declared your turn over, you don't get to roll. If you was a save, you auto fail. If you forget to roll consecration(5E), you take a 1 and the spell is lost.
I had a smarmy faggot once that intentionally "forgot" to roll it.
>>
>>51079053

This is three card brag, gentlemen. That means that three threes is the highest, then three aces and then running down accordingly; then it's a running flush, a run, a flush, then a pair: An open man can't see a blind man, and it will cost you twice the anti to see your opponent. Don't fuck around, fellas; you all know the rules and you know I won't stand for it.
>>
>>51088328
I love you for this reference.
>>
So guys, what do you do if a player refuses to follow your rules, with no reasoning given? For example, something like >>51079566 where you say no cell phones at the table but one dude just outright refuses to follow that rule.
>>
>>51087981
I have the distinct impression that you are talking about a single person.
>>
>>51089358
Eject them from the group. Rules are rules.
>>
>>51079053
>No Metagaming
>No interrupting my description so you can riff on the game
>No riffing the game in general
>Pay attention to the game, because I wont repeat myself
>If you don't know what to roll on something you already rolled at least twice, you autofail
>Any rules disputes should take 10 seconds max

Repeat offenders are asked to leave and their characters die in a "never coming back for whatever reason" way.
>>
>>51079053
>Phones and laptops at the table are fine, though will be asked to get put away if it starts being a distraction.

>No smoking at the table ever.

>Alcohol is fine to an extent. Know your limit and don't get drunk.

>No PvP or characters with conflicting goals that will force them to come to blows eventually.
This came in after a few campaigns that ended in TPKs because of party infighting and everyone being salty fucks about it.

>Roll on the table, in plain view where everyone can see it. If I don't see them, they don't count. I don't use a bowl or anything, though the options on the table if needed.
Started when one guy decided he was sneaky and would start picking up dice as soon as they were rolled and telling everyone what his result was without letting anyone else see. Coincidentally, at the exact time he started doing this, he had a very lucky streak of rolling Natural 20s, often times up to 5-6 in a row. Strangely, this streak of luck stopped as soon as I started enforcing this rule. Funny how that worked.

>More of a nitpick, but we typically map out town areas and where everyone is at all times.
This is mostly due to one guy who was seemingly in 3-4 different places across town at the same time whenever something interesting was happening somewhere he wasn't. Not even explanation, just "And I'm there too and do X" even if "there" was 4 miles away from where he was previously established being 2 minutes earlier. Only got especially annoying during a mystery/low combat game where everyone had cross goals with each other(specifically not the "come to blows" sort, more the "Player X's father owes Player Y a great deal of money and wants to find him, while Player X would rather never see him again" sort) and he would keep appearing when people were finding info they would rather keep to themselves. We've started calling this the "No Quantum Clerics Rule" after the offending player's favorite class.
>>
I have no explicit rules, but I think I'd like to have some. We play on Roll20 and use Discord to talk. Some issues we have are:

> Someone starts describing their action and someone else starts coughing or laughing while the other player is talking.
> Not responding to their character names.
> Not following others actions in combat.
> Sound and connection issues, for example voice activated microphone repeatedly missing the first word of the sentence.
> Loud mechanical keyboards.
> Planning happens OOC.

I think the first three points are partially to blame on the way we play, it's hard not to browse the internet when your character isn't doing something. I don't really know what causes the last point, IC talk goes well when there's a conversation between NPC's and PC's.

Is something like this fixable with rules without it having a negative impact on the group?
>>
>Floor dice don't count
>Make a reason why your pc is willing to cooperate with the other pc's in order to pursue this defined goal upon creation, no "my character has no reason to trust you" bs
>No metagaming
>>
>>51079053
Prima Nocta
>>
>If you can't tell what number is up on a die, reroll
>Pay attention unless your character isn't doing anything
>No looking at my notes unless I let you
>>
>>51090881

>Someone starts coughing or laughing

You should tell them to use push-to-talk and enforce it as a rule for your discord server.
>>
>>51080553
Hope you have plenty of dried leaves and charcoal to write with, buddy.
>>
>>51083613
OH NO! One or two sheets of paper take up SOOOOO much room! Whatever shall we dooooooooo?
>>
>>51088160
The is the dumbest fucking rule I have ever seen in my life. Why would you force your players to buy placebo dice because of your buyers remorse. Just buy dice for the Jar at your local GS.
>>
>>51090721
>>Roll on the table, in plain view where everyone can see it. If I don't see them, they don't count. I don't use a bowl or anything, though the options on the table if needed.
Iktfb
>>
>>51087358
>no brown liquor
>allows sugar water
Commies were a mistake
>>
File: tGvlsyf.gif (895KB, 245x160px) Image search: [Google]
tGvlsyf.gif
895KB, 245x160px
>>51093486
pure
grain
alcohol
>>
>>51079053
>No alcohol
>No smoking
>No cell phones
>use coasters
>>
just don't be THAT guy, especially the "I'm just doing what my character would do" bullshit
>>
>>51095366
"If that's what your character would do, you need to make a new character."
>>
>>51095366
>>
>>51095431
"After I'm done here, I'll probably need to anyway."
>>
>>51087358
>no brown liquor
That's okay. My spirit of choice is black anyway.
>>
>>51079566
Literally having this issue right now. Player is being outright salty and refusing to switch to using a sheet.
>>
>>51079242
>every character comes to the table acquainted to and willing to work with at least one other character
+1 this, and each PC must be willing to pursue the party's collective goal to the best of their ability, no dead weight.
I once played D&D with a warlock who never used any magic, because he didn't want us to know in character that he had magic, even when it would be immensely helpful. I told him out of character "bitch it's D&D, who cares, just lie about how you got it" and he did.
>>
no politics
no cellphones
No really, no politics.
>>
File: photo.png (208KB, 486x487px) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
208KB, 486x487px
Three biggest problems I've had in my games.
>Cell phone use.
>Civility at the table.
>Player wanting to play evil in good campaign.

DM: So, what class did you chose?

PC: I want to play a Anti-Paladin. Like in Pathfinder.
DM: I've played one before. That's more along the lines of a Oathbreaker Paladin.

PC: Yeah, that's what I want to play.

DM: The majority of the party say they're leaning good.

PC: So? What's the problem?

DM: Most of the party is good, if not neutral. Evil character in a party of good, especially with a good cleric will cause conflict.

DM: Why do you want to play Oathbreaker? There are other choices in the PHB. If you're playing evil character trying to redeem himself then I can possibly allow it.

PC: I want to cause chaos in the game.

DM: Mmm....that's a big fat N.O.

PC: STOP STIFLING MY CHARACTER CREATION CHOICES!
>>
>>51097976
No sheet, no character.
>>
>no cell rules

Jeeze are your players really that spaztastic?
>>
File: p-kpp1100tc.jpg (52KB, 984x1000px) Image search: [Google]
p-kpp1100tc.jpg
52KB, 984x1000px
>You say it you do it
Exactly what it says on the tin, if you "joke" about doing something stupid or break character to ask the DM for permission to do something then your character automatically tries to do it.

For example we had a new guy who interrupted a conversation with an NPC to say "lol wouldn't it be funny if I punched her in the face" so the DM said "you punch the old woman in the face, roll for damage." This rule always leads to shenanigans early on but it forces people to role play and makes it clear that actions have consequences from the start.

There is also "the tub"
If you roll the dice off the table or get a series of bad rolls, then the group will start chanting "tub! tub! tub!" and you will be forced to put your dice inside a clear hummus jar and shake it instead of rolling. It was originally a practical thing the DM offered to a particularly clumsy dude so he wouldn't lose his dice but it has since become a mark of shame.
>>
>>51079053
>GM is god his say goes, the only time you may contradict if it is explicit in rules that something cannot happen and all PC's can agree

>not paying attention when it's your turn no turn for you

>annoying literally everyone at the table because you are THAT guy and show off your min max, looks like you found an ancient prismatic dragon in your pocket
>>
File: 1445757248505.png (140KB, 269x443px) Image search: [Google]
1445757248505.png
140KB, 269x443px
>tfw players pull out phones and goldfish magic when it's not their turn but I never brought up a "no phones" table rule
>tfw ask players if they're born and they insist they're not
Why are you pulling out your phone, then? I hate this.
>>
>>51100630
>born
bored*
fuck waiting a whole minute to delete my own damn post for a typo
>>
No phones at the table except for during combat, when the Paladin who's been playing for months still can't remember how his abilities work.

Aside from giving time limits is there any other way to speed up combat?
>>
>>51102423
less players
I'm not fucking with you, for me games with less players are faster, funner, meatier games
I ran a few 3 player games recently after running nothing but 4-5 player games for a bit and even one less person makes a world of difference
that's probably not very helpful but I figured I'd say it anyway
>>
>>51079614
This seems reasonable actually
>>
>>51079666

FUCKIN' RULE NAZI
>>
>>51098777
Yes
>>
That my players aim to misbehave.
>>
Pretty much just no phones and staying in character most of the time. Having had a lot of lulsorandumb new players, you have to break them from their autism. Couldn't get 2 of them to stop joking around all session and spouting memes so I made it that all of that was taken as in character, lets say a lot of NPCs hated the party because of them instantly making fun of their name. Thank god that shit only lasted a couple sessions and they cut it out.
>>
>>51079666
Fuck you, Satan
>>
File: fee fi fo fuck.gif (2MB, 380x291px) Image search: [Google]
fee fi fo fuck.gif
2MB, 380x291px
>>51106021
>Satan demands you stop fapping
This truly is hell
>>
>>51079053
everyone must wear a funny/idiotic hat
>>
>>51090946
For NPCs as well?
>>
>>51088118
>A beer or cider is fine, but you can't game while drunk.
You absolutely can, but the key is for everybody to be roughly equally drunk. Being the only sober guy at the table is no fun, and being at a table with one drunk guy is no fun either.
>>
>>51079053
Frankly, my group has been together so long our rules are all unwritten and already agreed to. We don't really have need to say "don't be a dick" because we've long since weeded out the dicks. So a lot of these except the second aren't really rules, they're just underlying mindsets or assumptions. Oh, and we play online.

>Any rule can be changed or ignored if necessary or desirable.
The great strength of P&P RPGs versus the computery kind is that humans are capable of the exercise of reason, creativity, and judgment. There is no good reason to abandon that strength when interpreting or applying rules. We're a tight-knit enough group that we don't really worry about issues like favoritism or anything of that sort.

>Once a correct diceroll is rolled, it must be used. No exceptions. No deciding you wanted to do something different after dice have hit the virtual table.
As with all rules, reasonable exceptions can be made if it was very obviously a misunderstanding or something like that.

>The purpose of the game is to have fun.
It's not to reach the end of the campaign. It's not to tell a story. It's not to advance a character's stats. The purpose of the game is entertainment. Ergo, anything that is counter to the fun should be amended or dropped. I don't care if it's "important to the story" or whatever - the story isn't the end goal, it's the means to an end. It's easier to alter a story than alter the players.

Also, any diversion from the plot can be had and made to last as long as it continues to entertain. The story can wait. Even if the story has some kind of time-critical element, it can be fudged.

>Pursuant to the above, if a player is having a problem or just not enjoying the story, reasonable accommodations to make it more fun for them are always worth discussing and implementing.
This one drives me a little crazy because one of my players finds it really difficult to speak up about this kind of thing or actually communicate what they want.
>>
>>51107100
>In general, secrets should not be kept between players, excepting story-related surprises from the GM.
We all understand and respect the separation of IC and OOC knowledge. There's no good reason to shut players out of each others' character arcs. Being able to mutually plan for how to bring up surprises in an interesting way is a great part of interaction.

>The GM is the first among equals. No more, no less.
So the GM's role is different. In general, the GM gets some deference when it comes to making final calls, especially on story-related issues, because he knows more than the rest and puts in the most work. But that doesn't make the GM the boss. Anyone else is welcome to - no, encouraged to - come up with ideas of their own and run them past the GM. I can't stand some posters on /tg/ who seem to think the GM is the god of the table. That's not how you treat your friends.

>Nothing is canon until it's actually played out in-game.
Plans are always flexible. No matter what was planned before, they can and should change in response to new ideas, party actions, et cetera. A common vice among GMs is to get too attached to their original idea, or hinge ideas off concepts that haven't actually been introduced to the setting yet. Be open to changing something if the players or PCs come up with a better idea.

>The party is the agent of change in the world.
Player agency is important, folks. Changes happen as a result of the party's actions. This includes indirect responses - for example villains may act in anticipation of PC actions. PCs aren't guaranteed to get the response they were hoping for, especially when acting on imperfect or incorrect information or when failing to anticipate something. This doesn't mean the world is static, of course, just that the world in motion stays in motion until acted on by a PC force.
>>
>>51099518
That's a pretty fucking autistic rule. Joking with the others is half the fun of the game.
>>
>>51095366
>Stay on the rails asshole
I've seen "it's what my character would do" be the excuse for both the best and worst of roleplaying. It's not the sentiment itself, it's who's using it and why.
>>
>>51107130
That's probably why he started with saying 'Don't be That Guy'. Don't judge him so harshly.
>>
>>51107106
Forgot one:
>You can always elect to get a worse outcome than the one your roll says you should get.
Sometimes failure is fun. Sometimes you get an idea for something you think would be interesting for your character to go through, and yet don't want to screw the whole party over just to play through your bit of character development.
>>
File: Dealing with players.jpg (119KB, 585x332px) Image search: [Google]
Dealing with players.jpg
119KB, 585x332px
It Puts the fucking lotion in the basket
>>
Rules I'm probably going to end up having to implement:

>Do not argue with me during the game. If you have criticism on my GMing, write it down and bring it up afterward so you don't interrupt game flow
>Don't fucking argue with me during the game. Seriously. We can get into a shouting match LATER.
>If I make a rule change because I think the base rule is fucking stupid, it doesn't matter how many times you link me the Sage Advice. I've read it. I don't care.
>I know that characters are hard to flesh out until you've had some time in the 'pilot's seat'. That's why I don't require detailed backstories at Session Zero. That doesn't mean you don't have to make a backstory at all because you spent all your time thinking of how awesome your class is mechanically.
>>
>>51087990
>>51088107
I don't think it's that bad for them to not read the book on their first campaign. They don't know if they will like the system, after all, and it's normal to not want to lose time.

I myself as a player don't normally read the book before the first session (although I'm almost a permanent DM) and I don't get into games DM'd by people who requires that. I will read the book (and probably DM something) if the game experience motivates me to do so.
>>
>>51079053
>1. Tech is allowed within reason, do not abuse it
I allow for phones, laptops and such because I realize they are incredibly useful tools, they simply need to be moderated. I actually look down on GMs so fearful and unable to rally their players they have to ban tech options.
>2. When I speak, or I nominate a player to speak, YOU WILL LISTEN.
When I talk, or a player has something to say to the group, the chatter stops, and eyes are on me, and I look you in the face. If a player has something important enough for the group to hear, everyone is listening.
>3. When a player needs to speak, the GM isn't the only one listening, all will hear.
This means players must speak loud enough and clearly enough for everyone to understand, and yes, you will, I don't care how quiet or shy you are. You want to recognized, now you need to own it. You have my own authority to be heard, use it.
>4. Bantz is a part of the fun, get used to it.
Everyone gets ripped on, no one more than the GM. Laugh it off, move on, but then everyone moves on. If I hear the same joke 5 times, it needs to die.
>5. Your character is your own, and you answer to no one save myself
You, as a player, do not need to answer for your actions to any save myself, or explain your character to anyone else. However, I encourage players to be open with each other, even if pcs must have some animosity.
>6. I have the right to call out poor behavior, and will ruthlessly exterminate drama
I am the living iron heart of this group, and I brook no bullshit.
>7. When I establish tone and genre, you will adhere to it
That means no brooding loners/anti-heroes in my Big Damn Heroes game, or plucky adventurers in my Gritty Post Apoc setting.
>>
>>51107336
I also forgot:
>Add the entirety of >>51107266
DO NOT FUCKING ARGUE WITH ME, YOU AUTISTIC CUNT. I make a call, it stands until after the game session, period.
And when I call for backstories, I expect them provided, preferably written so I can see them when I do my game work at home.
>>
>>51102423
Get a 2 minute hourglass, and put them on the clock.
Tell them that they need to have static numbers tallied and their plan of approach set up during other people's turns, not during their own, and if the sands run out, you move on, period.
>>
If you're ready to pvp socially, you're ready to pvp physically. If the game is about thay, you can go around bullying other players with your high intimidation or your political influence or cheating them with your silver tongue. But then don't complain and get butthurt when the strong but socially unskilled brute breaks your neck or betrays you when he has the first chance. You started and he's using his skills, just like you did. If he's stupid enough to get caught I'll be the one to make sure the law punishes him.

Or you can always get along and not fuck with people if you can't deal with the consequences, of course. Or even say that you don't want pvp (but then be the first to not pvp in any way).
>>
>>51107448
You know I read that wrong at first and thought that you meant that if they were going to fight in game, they'd better be ready to square the fuck up IRL. That'd be a fun rule.
>>
>>51107564
Well, I can't stop them from doing that unless we're playing in my house (ie never). I would advise against tho, strenght inside nerd groups is too varied for it to be fair.
>>
>>51087358
No 80 proof whiskey allowed.
80 proof vodka allowed.
Why?
>>
>>51106922
No, you can't game when properly drunk. Buzzed is fine, but staggering around, everything is hilarious drunk? You can't roll dice and remember abilities in that state. Moderation at the table.

>>51107100
>No deciding you wanted to do something different after dice have hit the virtual table.
Likewise, don't roll for it unless you're sure you want to do it.
>>
>>51107354
>when I call for backstories, I expect them provided

Eh, I write as a hobby. Everyone's got a backstory, it just takes a while to get it straight, then I'll E-mail you a short story about their life.

>>51107564
>thought that you meant that if they were going to fight in game, they'd better be ready to square the fuck up IRL.
Same here. That would be kind of fun, though, once. And mostly because most people I would game with IRL have some degree of martial arts training because this is the 21st century and you can take that shit up as a hobby.
I've got a few years of karate written into muscle memory, for example.
>>
>>51107604
>strenght inside nerd groups is too varied for it to be fair.
True story. In my group there's two Marines(the guy who invited me and I), a small chick, and two ultra skinny guys.
>>
>>51108828
Nobody in my group can fight, but I'm a big guy who has a really high pain threshold on top of an inability to feel most pain, so I tend to be able to just tank anything.

I also have no subconscious strength inhibitors that most people have, so I can pull off ridiculous feats of strength compared to my other players, but I also tend to rip muscles etc if I take this piss with it.
>>
>>51079053
>No characters from things that exist already.
>If you're buying food, let the group know and we'll pool money to get enough for everybody
>No food at the game table though
>New players need to be given a chance
>Do things in character
>No metagaming like looking up monsters in the manuals, if you're found out doing that your character will meet a bad end and you're banned from any pnp games.
>Actions irl and ingame carry consequences, characters may die but you can always make another. Don't be a bitch about that.
>No meme references.
>>
>>51079053
>No phones
>No alcoholic drinks
>Smoking only during pauses and go outside to do it
>No phones
>Snack costs are split evenly amongst everyone
>Don't argue about rules for more than 5 minutes
>If you roll before announcing what you are rolling for, you re-roll, no matter how good or bad the result
>Seriously, no phones! Turn them to silent and DON'T TOUCH IT during sessions.

No phone policy can only be lifted by public vote in case of emergencies.

Everything else is either covered by common sense or by not being a complete arse.
The only rule I have trouble enforcing is the "don't argue rules for too long" one, since my players love to pick apart rules, both to their advantage (understandably) and their disadvantage (absolutely infuriating).
>>
>>51107720
stains
>>
If you wear flannel, you're not playing with us. Only problem players wear
flannel.
>>
>>51112844
flannel is just cotton, what's wrong with cotton?
>>
>>51107100
>>Once a correct diceroll is rolled, it must be used. No exceptions. No deciding you wanted to do something different after dice have hit the virtual table.
>As with all rules, reasonable exceptions can be made if it was very obviously a misunderstanding or something like that.

>No exceptions
>...reasonable exceptions can be made...
???
>>
>>51112661
>No phone policy can only be lifted by public vote in case of emergencies.
So if an emergency came up, you'd actually stop and vote before making an emergency call?

That's, uh, a little extreme. Just let people excuse themselves from the table if they need to make a call. If they're enjoying the game and don't want to leave it, they'll naturally only do so when it's important. If they're not, their phone use will be a symptom, not the problem. Don't take cough medicine and declare your lung cancer cured.
>>
>>51083655
>>any dice you roll off the table are automatic zeros
That's really harsh, at least in our setup. In the rare event it does fall, it's a reroll.
>>
File: 1391905575590.jpg (211KB, 1152x771px) Image search: [Google]
1391905575590.jpg
211KB, 1152x771px
>Adaptations, homages, references etc can be done IF and ONLY IF they are reasonably altered to fit the setting in an appropriate manner.

Do not simply lift crap from that epic anime you were just watching. This leads to an inevitable cycle of borrowing whatever cool thing you just saw, and then losing interest in it after you're done with that show and leaving game ideas stranded. This shortsighted mindset generally runs out of steam the instant the novelty of the reference wears off.

Plus, a lot of things only work in their original context and must be altered if their context is altered. For instance, the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in STALKER is a spooky horror game at least partially because in its setting, magic and physics-defying phenomenon are unique and special. If you just plopped the Zone into the middle of a D&D-esque setting, it wouldn't have the same impact because magic and physics-defying phenomenon happen every two minutes in a D&D-esque setting. That's not to say "what if Chernobyl, but in a medieval fantasy?" couldn't be an interesting setting, but it would have to be altered to have the same impact the original did and make sense in context.
>>
NO FREE RIDERS

If you want snacks, you bring money for snacks. Or just bring snacks. If you don't want snacks, that's cool, no need to pay for them, but don't insist you don't want anything or "just want a little" and then chow down without contributing for it. Snacks aren't free.

We do by consensus make an exception for one player who genuinely cannot afford any luxury spending right now.
>>
>no phones
Top kek, you need to stop playing with immature brats.
Be a better GM.
>>
No cheetos
Use coasters
Don't be a dick

That pretty much covers it.
>>
>>51113936
It's very informal and quick though. Someone just says they have to use the phone and why in two sentences, everyone nods, all is well. We are not arseholes who will deny someone their phone when something requires them to use it.

The important part is just that this is to prevent anyone from using it for everyday business. That can be done during proper pauses like when the smokers leave to smoke.
>>
>>51114053

>not to say "what if Chernobly, but in a medieval fantasy?" couldn't be an interesting setting

It's called Symbaroum and it is a pretty dope setting. The system isn't bad either-- their Advanced Player Guide was just translated to English and released in .pdf to those who preordered. It seems to have really rounded out the system mechanically.
>>
>>51114216
5 of my players don't even want to use their phones during the session.

But we once had that one player, who has quit since then, who kept pulling out his phone to check messages. It was bothering everyone, so we agreed on that rule. Since it's the only rule that's related to fixing a problem we actually encountered and wasn't just implemented out of common sense, it is also the one that's most strictly enforced at the table.

Since that one player left the group though, we've never had problems with it it again.
>>
No cell phones
Good hygiene (have had to make one particular guy go shower)
The that guy rule is also always in effect
>>
Having fun
>>
>>51114425
>playing with smokers
Get better players.
>>
This thread is approximately
>50% basic tabletop etiquette
>40% basic general social etiquette
>10% autists treating their friends with overbearing and obtuse formality
>>
I don't play with smokers nor with phone addicts, and we all contribute to the food and drink naturally. I'm not anal with coaters either.

I guess my only rule is that you remove your shoes in the hall, but after that, have fun.
>>
>>51114768
>I don't play with smokers
You mean the kind who constantly interrupt the game to take a smoke break or just smokers in general?
Because I can understand the former but the latter seems like a little much.
>>
>>51087358
No brown rum but only cheap low age awfull white rum? Maaaan you got no taste. 0/10 would not dm for you.

We always play at my house because i got the only table big enough for all the battlemaps and stuff. Rest is simple.
>no shoes. I provide slippes/house shoes
>no mobiles
>smoking only if i smoke otherwise use the roof terrace you lazy fuck
>dm rule overwrites any rule in the session to keep it going. Rule clarificarions or discussions only after/before sessions.
>bring snacks and softdrinks or expect to drink tab water
>if you realy want to order food prepare and dont waste 30mins to discuss what to order and stop the game

All players are first timers and friends so most things are just common courtesy and no problemo. The talking ic/ooc stuff /character not present stuff is still difficult but it gets better very session
>>
>>51087358
Also don papa frowns on you with disgust..
>>
>>51079053
No cell phones, except in extraordinary cases (and I do get to decide about it).

No CN unless I trust the player enough to not be a shithead about it. Evil anything too.

I have the right to check your sheet, and I get to have a copy that I can reference. The one I have trumps whatever is written on yours.

No PVP, no stealing and if the PC isn't willing to cooperate after two hooks thrown their way, reroll someone that's willing to go on an adventure.

Player's knowledge: I tend to relent a bit, a slip can happen from time to time. A level 1 barbarian that knows everything about something's he shouldn't know is too much though.

Reference material can be digital. Videogames are not reference material.

No PVP, no stealing, no "it's what my pc would do".

No weed, alcohol in moderation.

I have to see what you rolled.

Sometimes I may change or disregard some rules if it suits the campaign and I will tell you about it. Asking about it is fine. A 2 hour discussion is not.

Respect the other players and me. We're all here to have fun.

It is quite a long list, but we've had a long string of bad experiences. Fortunately my core group of players is made of awesome people that don't need to be babysat often, but you know, one can't be too cautious.
>>
>>51079053
>No phones
>don't interrupt
>no fudging rolls
>no shouting
>no arguing about pointless stuff
>be respectful of others
>>
>>51116575
You sound kinda awful to play with. I bet you live in California where totalitarianism is tolerated and encouraged.
>>
>>51116575
>Most of these rules are an unspoken given in all my groups

What kind of fucking people have you run into?
>>
>>51117137
I've had my share of bad players, suffice to say.
I see now I wrote 2 times the "no PVP" part, my bad.
>>
>>51079053
1) Have fun.

That's it. That's all there ever needs to be.

Go fucking wild for all I care. Get as drunk as you please, have conflict between party members, be an evil edgelord character, try and get away with fudging your rolls like I do all the time.
As long as we walk away feeling like we've had fun playing whatever game it is, we're doing it right.

Meh, maybe I just have a group which isn't full of assholes who create the need for a long list of strict rules in the first place.
>>
>>51117399
It's more likely that your entire group is full of assholes who are in sync.

Kinda like my main group.

That attitude works well when I wanna hang out with friends, but it really doesn't work when I actually want to enjoy the game. That's why I enjoy playing with people who are outside of my usually group of best friends.
>>
File: 1482074489985.gif (393KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
1482074489985.gif
393KB, 493x342px
>>51088118
> No music.
>>
>>51116575
>Reference material can be digital. Videogames are not reference material.
Not memeing, what do you mean by this?
>>
>>51080747
But what if the person talking is boring as shit?
>>
>>51082883
No easy access to a printer is a pretty good reason.
>>
>no phones

But what if my family has an emergency?

>Sorry I couldn't pick up your emergency call, mom, I was pretending to be a busty elf chick.
>>
>>51088241
>>51114038
If you are a charachter shooting something, and you miss a table inches away, your character cant hit shit either. Stop throwing them like its a roulette table.
>>
>>51106797
I actually enjoyed a rule like this. 1700s piracy naval game, and i was a comodore for the Queen and Britania! Had a rather nice admiral's Bicorn i got from a costume/throft shop for 10$
>>
>>51079666
Try and stop me.
>>
File: 1481110341991.png (30KB, 675x543px) Image search: [Google]
1481110341991.png
30KB, 675x543px
This might be controversial on /tg/, but

have fun
>>
>>51118587
Rulebooks can be digital (pdf, for example). FAQs and errata can be looked up on the fly or saved on a laptop, pdf reader, etc.

Playing videogames on smartphone or laptop during session is not acceptable.
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.