[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to run a session with mechas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Fear the Fiddler[2]-441850.jpg (428KB, 1224x758px) Image search: [Google]
Fear the Fiddler[2]-441850.jpg
428KB, 1224x758px
Ok, so here' the thing. I usually run session after I've watched some really, really bad anime. The reason is they usually have a pretty exciting premise and when they fail spectacularly I always go "hey, I can do it better".

And recently I've been watching a ton of really bad mecha anime. So I want to run a session about mechas. With people piloting mechas. And focusing on the human drama and all that good shit.

But I am drawing an absolute blank when it comes to finding a good mechanics for this. Battle Tech is obtuse and overly complicated, Cthulu Tech is archaic and Eclipse Phase is... Unique.

What is a good mech rpg guys? Something that actually works and won't drown me in pointless mechanics.
>>
>>51068544
>What is a good mech rpg guys? Something that actually works and won't drown me in pointless mechanics.

Doesn't exist. You can either have a hyper-crunchy system like battletech or Palladium's Robotech, or you can have a rules-light system where the mechs don't really have any differences like Melton Z, or you can have a shit system like CthulhuTech. There aren't any real middle ground choices when it comes to mecha RPGs, for some reason.
>>
>>51068544
Use 4e DnD with your own fluff.
Works out really well for my group SRW campaign.
>>
>>51068544
They don't exist. Just pick a system you know and scale everything up for the mecha, use drama point to keep up the genre bullshit.
>>
>>51068544
Use Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (or Cortex Hacker Guide). Affiliation, Distinctions and Specialty depends of the Pilote and Power Sets represent model and equipement. It's really easy to customize the characters and you already have Iron Man's sheet to drawn inspiration from.

Consider using a hacked version of Apocalypse World for the out of armor drama.
>>
>>51068677
>a rules-light system where the mechs don't really have any differences
>Mekton Zeta
Something seems off.
>>
File: CNCS - Gear - Hunter.png (318KB, 486x572px) Image search: [Google]
CNCS - Gear - Hunter.png
318KB, 486x572px
>>51068544
Heavy Gear is pretty decent. The vehicle mechanics are just an extension of the character rules.

Maybe just gloss over some of the more wargamey bits like detection and damage (for mooks). Everything else is pretty straightforward though.
>>
>>51068689
Strike! is a better option for this.

Comes already fluff neutral, and has a lot less moving parts you need to re-draw.

I used it for an Armored Core inspired game, and it worked great.
>>
>>51069720
this one.
>>
>>51068544
ChromeStrike, bro.
>>
What about /tg/ Eva?
>>
>>51070101
This works pretty well if you don't want to simulate at all.
>>
>>51069720
I really like the desing and the place they ocuppy the mechs in heavy gear (the only part I kinda of dislike are the "head" becaus they tend to be boring), it introduced me to VOTOMS too. Hows the fluff in the game right now? I stopped at the post-earth invasion with outside terranavoa missions.
>>
File: AST - Gear - Basilisk.png (359KB, 533x621px) Image search: [Google]
AST - Gear - Basilisk.png
359KB, 533x621px
>>51071729
>I really like the desing and the place they ocuppy the mechs in heavy gear (the only part I kinda of dislike are the "head" becaus they tend to be boring), it introduced me to VOTOMS too. Hows the fluff in the game right now? I stopped at the post-earth invasion with outside terranavoa missions.
I haven't really kept up with the new stuff. The tabletop wargame is doing a second Earth invasion and lots of super-units. Kind of moving away from the somewhat grounded stuff of the earlier books.
>>
>>51068544
Try Battle Century G. It's basically made to run anime themed mecha games. Plus the rules reference doc is free.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.