[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yes, I'm literally autistic, stop asking.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: be_yourself.png (72KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
be_yourself.png
72KB, 480x320px
I'm going to start a tabletop RPG campaign in less than a week, and I need to be able to actually roleplay a character.
How do I simulate personality traits different from my own, and convey them in text? How do I find the exact words my character would say, in a spontaneous manner?
My problem is that I almost always take a very long time to come up with dialogue, so by the time I think of what I want my character to say, the dialogue has moved on and it wouldn't make any sense. This is about speech, not actions. What my character DOES is usually simple enough because there are only a handful of options that aren't suicidal. What my character SAYS is difficult for me. Of course I can get by when I want to suggest a course of action, or I feel my character agrees or disagrees with someone, but those are short sentences and far between.
I don't want to give up roleplaying for life, but the way it usually happens in dialogue-heavy sessions, it's really mentally exhausting for me to the point of being not fun.
>>
>>51060164

Are you literally autistic?
>>
Just play a mute warforged who obeys the other PCs without question.

Or, you know, try some other form of recreation. Maybe you could, I dunno, help the GM by keeping track of all the PCs' inventories. You guys like to keep track of long lists of minutiae, right?
>>
>>51060164
Try adopting the speech patterns and habits of a character from a movie or novel. I appreciate you giving this a try, in my opinion autists like ourselves are well served by pretending to be others.
>>
File: 5684951064_48b5a14af8_b.jpg (329KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5684951064_48b5a14af8_b.jpg
329KB, 1024x768px
>>51060164
>>
>>51060164
What makes you think this board would be able to offer advice on how not to be autistic? Seriously, look at where you are.

And even if someone did tell you how to not be autistic, would your autism even allow you to understand their advice?

TL;DR: Post your feet.
>>
>>51060164
Don't think about it.
>>
File: consider the following.gif (466KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.gif
466KB, 500x281px
Sounds like you play your characters from a very distant "stance" that most people aim for - Like a person moving a piece around a chessboard rather than attempting to vicariously feel for your character.

Maybe try to gather a short list of primary character traits and try to feel and understand those things well enough to respond snappily as you would with your own emotion when they come up?
>>
>>51060231
This.
Just play a character you like until you know how to do it with a character you made up.
>>
There's nothing wrong with playing character who doesn't talk so much. In a fantasy setting you could play:
>A barbaric warrior who doesn't speak common fluently, and only answers questions in short terse responses
>An otherworldly fey who has trouble grasping the emotions and behaviours of his mortal companions
>A mute, whose tongue was removed for heretical speech by some oppressive religious organisation

These examples aside, it would also be very useful to communicate about this out of game. Tell your fellow players that you're inexperienced with dialogue and want to play a less chatty character because of that. RPG players are, in my experience, nothing if not accommodating. Enjoy the game!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.