[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit Gamedevs Say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Capture.jpg (24KB, 487x229px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
24KB, 487x229px
I know in his head he meant that he tells/writes stories. But I'm keeping this to throw on the "John Wick is an asshole" pile.
>>
>touching other people's food
>watching anime and getting paid for it
>making little boys and girls do things they don't like
>elaborately telling people how stupid they are
>>
>>51037107
Why the hate for Mr. Wick? The only work of his I know well is 7th sea, and that seemed alright.
>>
>>51039973
>he doesn't know about Play Dirty
OOOOOOH BOOOOOY
>>
>>51039973
he's the fucking boogey man.
>>
File: ten_thousand_2x.png (91KB, 924x633px) Image search: [Google]
ten_thousand_2x.png
91KB, 924x633px
>>51040210
>>51039973
Congrats, you're about to be educated. Be sure to desalinate information provided here before absorbing it.
>>
>>51039973
He wrote a book of GM advice that encouraged GMs to do incredibly dickish things to their players, up to and including feeding them misinformation, creating all powerful GMPCs, taking control of their characters away, and other assorted nonsense.
>>
>>51039973
He's like an angry George Lucas applied to gaming. When with the right people and not completely running the show, he's pretty good. When he gets his say, he's fucking unsufferable and produces shit.

His fans are like Star Wars fans in much the same way. Plenty say what they like and move on, others will defend to the death anything the man says or does and will come up with any excuse to forgive him.
>>
>>51039973
He's basically the archetypical original of many of the worst That GM stories, including a famous series of self-published showcases of what would in other contexts be considered game con horror stories but he considers to be good advice.

To give you an example, he hates murderhobos who don't take their character's emotions and attachments seriously, which is why he advocates killing/mutilating/torturing into permanent trauma any attachments or emotionally vulnerable characters a game might have. Once, because he thought a superhero player wasn't taking their dependent grandmother flaw seriously enough, he decided the grandmother hated superheroes and then had his invulnerable omniscient superbadass NPC arrange for the character to be unmasked and thrown through a ceiling into the restaurant where said grandmother was eating, killing her instantly via heart attack. Said player left the game, which is weird, considering Wick's argument was the player didn't care before and needed to be taught to do so, and in that context this would seem - despite Wick's claim of having beaten his wily player, as a good GM does - to be an undesirable result.

The worst part is some of his GMing advice is good, but it's mixed with the truly toxic; it doesn't differentiate because he doesn't know.

also he's a pretentious piece of shit so HARD, much harder than his admittedly good creative work allows for.
>>
>>51037107
For more on the topic, go ask /pfg/. They have a small archive of stupid things posted/tweeted/emailed by idiot devs at Paizo.
>>
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/alien-rope-burn/john-wicks-play-dirty/

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/alien-rope-burn/john-wicks-play-dirty-2-even-dirtier/

7th Sea is good. Houses of the Blooded is pretty cool, if you can survive the tone. John Wick as a person is the moderately successful artist with a goatee and a Hawaiian shirt who sneeringly relates to you that knowledge not rooted in self-expression is a form of intellectual heavy metal poisoning that will forever stunt your personal growth. The thing is he doesn't know he's sneering, or how fucked up a thing that is to believe. He thinks he's just talking, that that's just how folks talk.
>>
>>51040492
Yeah, Paizo devs are easily the worst there are. Their core staff is making money despite being fucking awful, and all the good work comes from freelancers. They're also so hypersensitive about being terrible at their jobs that they bully those working for them to toe the line and fosters a very toxic environment for devs trying to work with Pathfinder.

They still won't admit to any biases they have that cannot be denied. I'm looking forward to Starfinder cratering.
>>
>>51040492
>a spaz flipping his mouse cord proves trained soldiers can't use lanyards on their weapons
>>
>>51040568
Paizo managed to succeed with Pathfinder because they were literally connected and positioned in the industry in such a way that producing and publishing a book for their own system was the easiest fucking thing in the world, and they made it popular by making it just close enough to being 3.5 homebrew that they could just get all their popularity and attraction from the strength of the 3.5 IP. Most popular d20 systems needed a popular IP to get started, like the Star Wars one, so they decided to just go straight to the source, essentially.

And I mean hell all it is is people being mad at shit in 3.5 and homebrewing it away that then decided they should publish that as a system. It was born out of spite and greed, I'm not surprised the people are scum.
>>
>>51041183
Pathfinder was a reaction against 4e, not a patch to 3.5e. Sure it includes some house rules, but that's not why it was printed.
>>
I have the feeling most people who say 7th Sea is good haven't actually played it. It's a mess, and even the usable bits are unbalanced as hell and have to be bent into shape to work properly. The setting is also pretty laughably bad, though it does have some neat ideas scattered throughout if you can ignore or alter the rest.
>>
>>51041470
This, most of what I liked were the narrative ties like the backgrounds or the cards you could pull during character gen.
>>
>>51040257

>educate
>posts the stupidest picture
>>
>>51042870
Don't worry, kid, you'll get there.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.