/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free form is a valid game format

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1173.jpg (132KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1173.jpg
132KB, 392x495px
It's fun. It's a game. Why the hate?
>>
The more of a stricy rule set there is, the less the system depends on the quality of the players to have something approaching fun.

Consider the lack of advanced democracies and republics in Africa.
>>
>>51024948
Bad experiences from forum roleplays with power tripping and all around nonsense.
>>
>>51024948
Because it's populated by powertripping forteen year olds. Where do you think the "teleports right behind you" meme comes from?
>>
>>51024948
It is very easy to do poorly.
>>
I like FATE and other rules minimalist systems but without any rules you're really just playing group make believe. With the right people it's still a blast but it really only fits the broadest definitions of a game.
>>
It's the same as saying "we'd be better off without laws."

You have a group you get on good with? Similar interests/values/ethics? That's great, perhaps you're right.

Introduce one asshole into the mix, however, and it's all FUBAR. One asshole is all it takes.
>>
File: CestreeSD.jpg (96KB, 446x446px) Image search: [Google]
CestreeSD.jpg
96KB, 446x446px
There's no such thing as free form, only diceless games that choose to leave their rules unspoken.

Why not stop hoping everyone agrees on these unspoken rules, and instead communicate them, write them down, and provide both structure and constitution to your game?
>>
>>51024948
>Why the hate?

... what website do you think you're on again?
>>
>>51024948

You need to be prepared to do a lot of research to adjudicate what's permissible. By the end of it, what you end up with is the skeleton of a system anyway, or else the game has no consistency and you're having badwrongfun.

You need to play with people who you're sure will be able to handle the freedom and roleplay toward the advancement of a story rather than solely self-gratification, or else the game is a cringy wankfest and you're having badwrongfun.

If you like having badwrongfun, then go right ahead; I just call it badwrongfun because I find it fucking boring.
When I play with close friends, it's extremely rules-light, but it works because we do our best to avoid badwrongboringnotfun. The rules we drop are the ones that rely on abstraction to cook the books, like HP. We don't like abstraction. So for us, combat is rare and any means of achieving disparity of force is rewarded, rather than routine and "balanced" by cooking the books.

And what do you know, it's evolved into what you could call a homebrew system just like >>51025235 said. Granted, it's patchwork-tailored to each setting we do and it lives on a million .txt and .xlsx files between us, but it's, in loosest terms, a system.
It doesn't work with a lazy DM and self-gratifying players.
>>
>>51024948
Freeform is great, but only works with appropriate players.
Which MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT.
>>
>>51024948
>Why the hate?
You're on 4chan.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.