[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to GM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1379732654912.png (111KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1379732654912.png
111KB, 620x400px
I have no GM experience. Me and some of my friends want to try pen & paper RPGs but non of us have played before.
>>
>>51019297
The more I run games, the less I am able to answer that question.
>>
>>51019297
It depends at least in part on what system you're using, what did you have in mind?
>>
File: 1471135062783.jpg (757KB, 960x2158px) Image search: [Google]
1471135062783.jpg
757KB, 960x2158px
>>51019297
If you're just starting, the best advice is to just start. Pick up a game, read the rules (and the advice on how to play in those rules), and just have fun.

All the best advice will just sound like common sense and will be forgotten about until you're a few sessions in, wondering what you can do to improve your game, and that's where the hard part begins. It's easy to know you're supposed to give each player their moments to shine, to let their decisions have impact on the story, and to do your best to make everyone enjoy a fair, but difficult, yet not punishing experience, and another thing altogether to remember all that while performing all the other tasks a GM must do.

So, for your first game, don't worry too much. Half of being a good GM is just being a good person, and if you're already playing with your friends you've got a good start. Just read the rules and the advice the writers offer you, be willing and ready to make mistakes, and just remember it's a game.
>>
>>51019297
Take a look at Matthew Colville's "Running the Game" series on YouTube. Start at episode 1.

It gives you a pretty good start.
>>
>>51019458
Fucking seconding this.
Also, pick a light game for your first. I always recommend Risus for beginners, but it seems I can't open my PDF of it anymore. So if anyone has it, I'd be grateful.
Anyway, while I don't really like Pathfinder I heard the beginner box is good.
Also if anyone has any other recommendation, go ahead. I just woke up and do't feel like writing a full list of small games.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.