[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I encourage my players to make interesting characters,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3150.jpg (174KB, 604x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3150.jpg
174KB, 604x598px
How do I encourage my players to make interesting characters, and to actually roleplay to some extent? How do I get them into the right mindset?

I get that every group is different, but I'm playing with my best friends, who are all fairly new to PnP games, and it's fun, don't get me wrong, but I have a problem:

It tends to devolve into the characters having no real personality, they're just the player themselves cracking some jokes. That is if the "characters" are speaking at all. Sometimes they just deal with the combat encounters like it was a video game and move on. I want to encourage them to do dope shit and flesh out who their character is in the world. How can I do this?
>>
h e l p
>>
>>51017260
https://school.rocketjump.com/learn/writing-container/character-trees

This helped me write stronger characters. Inform your players that you guys are not just playing a game but collaborative story telling. Ask them if they were watching a film or reading a book/comic about their character if they would feel like they were unrealistic, flat, interesting, overdone underdone ect.
>>
>>51017260
This >>51017699

Also, I like to make things like character backstories mandatory (i.e. you have to make your players at least make a simple backstory). Also reward roleplaying with things like XP or other small rewards that encourage others to also roleplay.
>>
>>51017260
>>51017775
There is nothing wrong with asking for a minimum length either. I had a DM say you had to write at least 2 paragraphs, one describing where you came from, and another about how/why you became an adventurer. He also awarded bonus equipment if you wrote a separate story about you character like, what was your first adventure like etc etc. sometimes it's like a nice amount of gold for the level or a minor magic item or most often a plot device for a later event/puzzle
>>
>>51017260
Mouse Guard RPG has a cool system for developing characters, You have to pick what your parents professions where, you get one of them to your skills.

You also have to state where from the setting you are from, because it informs some stats and ideas.

Speaking of Ideals If i remember correctly It requires you to add 2-3 ideals like morals or principles to your sheet as they are apart of how XP is awarded.

Another cool thing is they have a stat called "Circles" that lets players Invent NPC's Basicly the higher the stat the wider the range from your home town you can invent NPC's and the more likely you will run into them, but it is a double edged sword. Great for getting players invested in the world

You could probably ad hoc this off of charisma mod in DnD/pathfinder etc.
>>
>>51017260
If you want them to respond to you as a character, engage them as a character.

Reward them for acting in-character.

Punish them for acting out-of-character.

Ask them all a question regarding their PCs at the beginning of every game. "What is your character's biggest fear?" is a good icebreaker.

This isn't rocket surgery, kid.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.