[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lifelong Palladium fan here, can someone explain something for me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Palladium.jpg (114KB, 500x400px)
Palladium.jpg
114KB, 500x400px
I'm pretty new to posting on /tg/, but in my travels to RPG sites across the net, I always see one thing consistantly: That Palladium's rules suck. Palladium was my first RPG system, so I might be a bit biased, but can anyone who has this sentiment explain it to me? I never had a problem understanding the rules.
>>
Are we talking Rifts (MDC) or Multiverse (SDC/non-MDC) here?
>>
I've had more experience with Multiverse(Namely PF and Robotech), and am only familiar with Rifts in the sense that I've read and own most of the published books for it. So probably focus on Multiverse for this thread.
>>
Your starting image is very strange, how can you "trot out" a dead horse?

I think the point of "beating a dead horse" is that the horse was not dead when you started but you have continued in the beating past the time where the horse has died, and as such the reason for the beating has gone away, but your beating continues.
>>
I chose it because it was relevant to me asking why "Palladium Sucks"
>>
>>51016339
System uses different dice for different stats. When you are instructed to roll X, you don't know what dice to pick up. Also, sometimes you want to roll high and sometimes you want to roll low. It is inconsistent and hard to learn, and for no real benefit.

Comparison - GURPS uses D6's, Storyteller uses D10's, D20 uses D20's and you're always doing the same thing with those dice.
>>
File: billnyeconsider.jpg (37KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
billnyeconsider.jpg
37KB, 300x301px
Alright, you want to know, so I'll tell you.

Look, you can play whatever you like. No sweat off my balls. A lot of people start out with Palladium because the books are cheap and easy to get. I don't hold that against anyone, but people who stick with it for more than a couple of years puzzle me. And just for brevity's sake, you can use "Palladium" and Kevin Siembedia" interchangeably; they are synonymous.

1. The rules were written in the '80s, and haven't undergone any real revisions since. Stuff that is broken stays broken. The official line is that Palladium doesn't want players to feel like they have to re-buy everything to get a new edition of the game. The truth is that they don't want to make a more modern set of rules.

2. The Christmas Tree Effect. In the Army, there's a tendency to add stuff to a soldier's basic kit without removing redundant or obsolete gear. Hang another ornament on the Christmas Tree, hence the name. Things are repeated, rehashed, and have a new coat of paint slapped on them, but this just makes the whole thing bloated and difficult to keep up with as you get rules from various sourcebooks, some of which contradict each other.

3.Characters are boring. You either play as an invincible God-hammer or a squishy peon, with very little chance to go from the bottom of the ladder to the top. Once you have your class, you're stuck in a path that's hard to break out.

Palladium likes to say "but it isn't about the rules! Play how you want and have fun." But if this is the case, why are there so many goddamn rules? For all this talk of "freeform playing" that Palladium likes to spin, the tools they give you to do it are old, lackluster, and often inadequate.

There you go. Understanding the rules is not the problem. In fact, by understanding them, you begin to see where they fall short.
>>
The relative lack of Palladium discussion on most sites has always puzzled me. Is it because Siembedia is generally known for having an IP policy that makes GW look like RMS?

Also, post shit about Siembedia, I've heard he's a tool.
>>
>>51016506
IIRC, one of the ways to get a horse to run faster is to hit it with a whip. Most things will in fact run faster if being whipped from behind. Horses can be run to death this way if you aren't careful/are a dick.

The saying is basically saying "You can't get a dead horse to run faster by beating it some more. It is fucking dead." In arguments this translates to "This argument is not going anywere, and talking about it more isn't going to help."

The saying has gotten a fairly weird graphical image at this point though, as it is usually people standing around hitting a horse on its back with sticks. Which is like... not what would happen?
>>
>>51017907

Unless you wanted to kill a horse?
>>
>>51017845
i hear that doesn't trust computer's for some reason and does everything thing on paper and by hand from the font choices to paragraph formatting
>>
>>51018192

he is sitting the rights of some properties of some cool stuff like TMNT and won't sell or share them.

there some also there's conflict of the having the rights related to Robotech RPG and related games.

The Robotech licensing thing has been known for years and he has actively block others making a new animated series and some stuff related to kickstarter.

i could be wrong tho so don't take my entire word for it
>>
>>51018336

Palladium hasn't had the TMNT licenses for more then a decade. Wtf are you talking about?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.