[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plausible cover-up stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: n_95982_1.jpg (50KB, 626x470px) Image search: [Google]
n_95982_1.jpg
50KB, 626x470px
Hey guys, I'm running a campaign where a Project Azorian-style salvage ship is secretly recovering a nuclear submarine in order to retrieve the missiles, and it's hiding its actions by use of a Philadelphia Experiment invisibility cloak. To power the cloak 24/7 there's going to be a nuclear reactor powership located a couple of kilometers from the salvage site, and presumably some other ships to act as cover for it.

But I can't think of a plausible reason to have a powership stationed out in the ocean without a really clear purpose, can anyone smarter than me come up with some cover stories I can feed the players?
>>
>>50995811
Oceanographic surveys. High-energy physics for reasons.
>>
>>50995918
Oooh, some kind of marine physics testing could work. I wanted to stay away from surveying stuff so that the government that owns the nuclear sub doesn't think they might be searching for it.

Actually, your idea of research is good, maybe they can be testing some prototype railgun or directed energy weaponry for "anti-ballistic defense" purposes. Testing potentially devestating weapons in the middle of the ocean is pretty common as far as things go.
>>
>>50995811
Blame the whole thing on terrorists who hijacked the ship and threatened to blow the thing if anyone gets near and if their demands aren't met.
>>
>>50996279
Surely that'd just guarantee the involvement of government forces poking around the area though. It's not like this place is Outer Heaven/Mother Base.
>>
>>50995811

Deep ocean carbon sequestering? Precipitate carbon out of the atmosphere and bury it in ocean sediment, effectively taking it out of circulation until geology happens and the area becomes land. Plausible enough if there's a high enough price on carbon emissions.
>>
>>50995811
If you have the funds to do this you have the funds to bribe the shit out of everyone
>>
>>50997707
Oh hey this is really cool. If I call it Project Azolla to refer to the prehistoric algae blooms that supposedly captured enough carbon to turn the Earth from its existing greenhouse atmosphere to the current icehouse atmosphere, then the phonetic similarities to Project Azorian might be a nice way to hint to players about what's actually happening.
>>
>>50995811

Alternate energy research. It's running diagnostics for possible use of floating nuclear reactors or emergency reactor cooling. The ship is out there just to take numbers on behalf of an international think tank. You can't hide the power ship, but you can shift the narrative to something juicy like the ethical questions raised by private nuclear energy firms attempting to run reactors in international waters.
>>
>>51001038
Oh that's an awesome idea too. So many directions to go in, but regardless of what it is, I like your idea of a government cabal deliberately shifting the narrative focus to a debate about whether the nuclear ship should be there, rather than questioning why it's there.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.