[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it fun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: slide_1.jpg (196KB, 700x836px) Image search: [Google]
slide_1.jpg
196KB, 700x836px
is it fun?
>>
>>50985518
Do you like Planescape?
>>
>>50985617
yes
>>
>>50985680
Then you'll probably like Maze of the Blue Medusa. It's got a similar kind of feel to it.
>>
>>50985518
Its great fun to run, but as a GM who finds playing NPCs difficult I can tell you it is hard work.

To be honest, you don't even need to use the maze to get your moneysworth and then some - it works just fine as a massive ideas bin to ransack and sprinkle through something else.
>>
>>50985737
just reading through the PDF, it has all kind of NPC machinations and movements going on

plenty of actions by the players cause different factions in the maze to do different things, which is interesting

theoretically, it means that the book has replay value, and that the same party can run through the maze multiple times and have different results, which is plenty fun

it also means that to run the maze well, you have to keep every faction in mind while you DM, which can be tricky

also unrelated, but Kudos to the developers for not only creating a beautiful looking book, that seems to be well-made and bound, but also offering a PDF version on their website for 1/10th the cost

I know that if WoTC did either of those things as well as these guys, I might actually buy their books instead of just pirating them all.
>>
File: obright.gif (460KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
obright.gif
460KB, 400x225px
It's wonderful.
You need to be able to run NPCs well to get the most value.
It runs better in OSR or any system where enemies are actually a threat. 3.x-5e needn't really apply.
But really, just the book quality alone makes it worth it.
>>
>>50985855
It is a product with very high quality production standards - its very easy to use and looks lovely in both print and PDF.

If you liked it look up the sites of the guys who made it, they put up a lot of free idea fuel guff relatively consistently. Zak in particular does like to get lodged up his own ass sometimes but the consistent quality of the material affords them some leniancy.

(Although on the subject of Patricks products I do prefer DCO to this)
>>
My players are having a blast. If you can find a way to include character hooks in the maze then you're golden. It's definitely worth grabbing for what the pdf costs and if you really love it, grab the book because it's a really nifty coffee table book.
>>
>>50986090
what game do you run it in?

looking at the random encounters and whatnot, running it in 5e seems like a bad idea, just due to the power level of PCs
>>
>>50987245
Not that anon, but I'm using Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
>>
>>50987245
All you have to do to run it in 5e or Path is give the monsters more hit points and make them do more damage
>>
>>50986031
'Zak in particular does like to get lodged up his own ass sometimes'

Truer words have not been spoken in this thread.

However, the book is solid. To me, most of the book feels a lot more like Patrick's writing than Zak's, but that may just be my subconscious dislike of people who think they know everything.
>>
>>50985518
It's great, it's a sandbox hidden as an OSR dungeon crawl with a bunch of weird shit and a lot of hidden lore. It is 100% for careful experienced players who turn over every stone and love taking risks.

I played it a bit in 5e and I think I could run it better than the DM did, but I actually think I will run it with Classic Fantasy to have access to weird magic rules and actual seduction rules.
>>
>>50991324
It'd be silly have goblins with 40 HP doing 3d6 damage.
>>
>>50987245
a lot of the interesting bits are actually pretty power level agnostic
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.