[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: The Sultan Will Speak To

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 43

File: ohdear.jpg (215KB, 1300x813px) Image search: [Google]
ohdear.jpg
215KB, 1300x813px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread: >>50951878

How do you create a sense of fear using something gigantic?
>>
Gigantic gold piece that they can't bring back.
>>
>>50971118
no, but there will be a new PHB including the revised ranger
>>
>>50971030
Describe it as normal sized in the distance without frames of reference, and then casually mention that the bird was carrying a horse and not a small rodent, and then they realize it's a fucking Roc.
>>
File: vampire_by_sharandula-d3j4kl4.jpg (109KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
vampire_by_sharandula-d3j4kl4.jpg
109KB, 894x894px
Any advice on roleplaying Strahd? Things your DM did to make him the impressive force of nature he is?
>>
4th for True Polymorphâ„¢ is better than Wish
>>
File: tumblr_ofqv8mibYy1tu7nado3_1280.jpg (91KB, 637x888px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ofqv8mibYy1tu7nado3_1280.jpg
91KB, 637x888px
What does /5eg/ think of my homebrew Paladin Oath?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ks1gvbtdRMt0UVR6DQX0QWpn_VjgG9LZ9VaoA0dFOi4/edit#gid=0
>>
>>50971244
One can be dispel though.
>>
Is there more UA stuff coming tommorow? or will it be another week
>>
>>50971311
Another week.
>>
>>50971242
There is an actual small literary work on how to play strahd. It involves using his scrying and shapechanging abilities to spy on the players. Getting a strong knowledge of how to beat them.
>>
>>50971246
You know you can post PDFs on /tg/, right? Much easier for the reader.

Embodiment of Fire is underwhelming. Prone isn't all that powerful in terms of control. Maybe "a creature repeats this saving throw at the end of each of its turns; it cannot stand up from prone until it has succeeded on a save against this effect" or something along those lines.

What is this Oath's fluff? What are its tenets (roughly speaking)? Why is fire so important to it?
>>
>>50971244
Why tho
>>
>>50969674
Any "unintelligent" creature smart enough to respond to your threatening stimuli from a distance (moving to attack a character shooting arrows or spells from range) is smart enough to move on to the next threatening target instead of what amounts to beating a dead horse.

Animals will likewise do this, as will any intelligent creature regardless of whether you have a "known healer", as if fucking bandits can identify the school of healing magic, the effects of a restorative spell as it stitches wounds hidden by the Fighter's armor, memorizing the spell lists of various casters and knowing that someone who can cast Spiritual Weapon must be a Cleric instead of a Wizard, and so on.

PCs do not take stabs at every fucking creature they kill, and any one of them could be a stealth Cleric or one of his allies could have a healing potion. If the all-knowing, metagamey PCs and their players don't think this is an intelligent course of action, why would anyone else?
>>
>>50971406
Interesting. Do you know where I can find this?
>>
>>50971246
First channel divinity is a bit strong. Maybe tone down the scaling.

The wording on the second channel divinity is funny. It sounds like I could use it even with no eligible targets and get the resistances.

Aura of warmth is kind of OP. It's up to 25 temp HP for free every short rest for the whole party. Inspiring Leader takes 10 minutes and can only do 25 temp HP at level 20.

Holy fire is pretty neat actually.

Embodiment of flame is decent enough.
>>
>>50970716
Well, thinking about it again, I suppose you could have a spell with a target range of 'self' that produces a rock in your hand. It wouldn't target you, but it would have a range of 'self'.
>>
Newcommer to 5e, got handed a premade light cleric, level 5.
What should I be doing in combat? Any specific spells to look out for?
>>
>>50971686
S P I R I T U A L
H A M M E R
>>
So how can the devs possibly disappoint Rangers further tomorrow?
>>
>>50971819
By not releasing anything tomorrow.
>>
>>50971819
>>50971887

I'm eager to see more options for Sorcs and Warlocks. They definitely need a few more options.

I don't really care for new Ranger subclasses right now, I just want the revised Ranger in an official splat, like, now.
>>
>>50971900
>Clerics and Wizards get archetypes out the yingyang
>Sorcs told to go fuck themselves with just two before SCAG
>>
>>50971900
Caster classes are balanced by having their names come last alphabetically, so you have to turn more pages to reach them and wait longer for their UA options to come out.
>>
>>50971911
Sorcs will be next
>>
File: d20.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
d20.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
>>50971311
>Is there more UA stuff coming tommorow?

Hopefully not. I am hoping UA will be phased out soon and replaced with more official options including feats to make the combat more interesting. Once again, D&D is based around class features bullshit, instead of giving classes flexibility to stretch their archetype. So instead they give us predefined archetypes like Champion and Battlemaster instead of letting us build it ourselves, because Merals does not have the competency to design a game like that. As a result, D&D will never return to the glory era of 3.5. The increase in sales is only due to an increase in awareness of the game, thanks to the increasing acceptance of "nerd culture."
>>
>>50971922
They probably have some Rogue ideas to throw at us. They may even have more than the single new Ranger archetype to test out too.
>>
>>50971960
3.5 was the gutter. Glad we've recovered.
>>
File: yes to please.png (53KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
yes to please.png
53KB, 512x512px
>>50971960
>>
>>50971960
>Hopefully not. I am hoping UA will be phased out soon and replaced with more official options including feats to make the combat more interesting.

nah, no way man. UA is great for playtesting and phasing out horrible, stupid ideas from the development, and reworking the shiniest turds into actually enjoyable stuff
>>
Are warlock invocations class level or total level?
>>
>>50972012
PHB errata says class level.
>>
Is Warlock 3 for ritual casting/shillelagh/strong ranged cantrip Paladin worth it?
>>
File: bait mimic.png (210KB, 579x399px) Image search: [Google]
bait mimic.png
210KB, 579x399px
>>50971960
>>
>>50971960
>because Mearls doesn't have the competency to design a game like that
Which is it today, /5eg/? Is Mearls the mastermind behind everything or is Crawford the arbiter of all that is?
>>
>>50971819
Next UA will be on january 9, not tomorrow.
>>
>>50972043
Chilchack had a hard life.
>>
>>50972064
>skipping TWO WHOLE WEEKS
They can't keep getting away with it
>>
>>50972041
It's not the WORST idea. It's also kinda cool to be able to use Warlock slots for Smite or use Misty Step twice per rest. The downside is you'll get features like Extra Attack and Improved Divine Smite later than you would otherwise, and you won't get your capstone or Aura improvements, depending on how long the game runs.
>>
How do you deal with a DM who takes too much joy from killing/maiming the PC's? It has gotten to the point where we can't get anything good without half the party getting killed.
>>
>>50972175

start casting silence on his villains when they start dropping monologues
>>
>>50972175
play a game without him
>>
>>50971977
Really? Because 3.5 brought roleplaying back from the brink. The RPG community was 1/10th the size back then so keep that in mind when you consider sales figures.
>>
>>50972348
Because they released 3rd edition to capitalize on the interest generated by Baldur's Gate. That's what got people interested in D&D.
>>
Not 5th, but I'm a complete D&D virgin and recently started playing the video game Baldur's Gate with the core rules enabled. I've familiarized myself with the D&D rules but I'm dying, saving, and reloading a lot. Is this how it's supposed to be or am I just playing like an idiot?

I just use this level 2 companion to solo most enemy encounters simply because enemies almost never hit him. If I involve the rest of my party everyone's toast.
>>
File: ____skeptical_girl.png (493KB, 481x541px) Image search: [Google]
____skeptical_girl.png
493KB, 481x541px
>>50972051
Honestly it doesn't matter. UA is absolute garbage and is an excuse to not release more books and actually playtest anything, since it's not "official."

So that gives the devs an excuse to release absolute horse shit. Like a literal Weapon Focus feat. Which might be more powerful now with bounded accuracy, but goes against the whole "let's not have fifteen modifiers stacked together like in 3.5" idea that was one of 5e's design principles.

And of course, Merals *likes* this feat. In fact, he dumps a more competent feat in favor of this one. Why? Because the feat was a "Strength save or be stunned/prone when hit with a mace" type of feat. Now, Merals correctly discerned that such a feat would slow down play by requiring a shitton more rolls. And might also be a bit overpowered. This is pretty much an objectively correct assertion.

But does he try to fix the feat? Perhaps have it only trigger on a crit? Or on a 19-20? Or require you to take a penalty to do it? Or, hell, even allow it only once per encounter? (You wouldn't even need bookkeeping for that last one, it'd be easy enough to remember whether you'd used it yet).

In other words, does Merals try to take a good idea and work with it and mold it into a finished project? No. He dumps it on the ground, and goes with a shitty weapon focus rip-off that any 13 year old retard could and probably has put in his lame-ass D&D homebrew. And the feat is bad. Not just lame, but fucking bad. And boring. Which may be in line with 5e combat in general, but that's not an excuse.

So, while Merals may not be responsible for all of the bad design choices of 5e, he is most definitely a fucking idiot who should not be designing games, least of all for the most powerful gaming company in the world.
>>
>>50972424
>>50972370
BGmind
>>
File: 1344999100626.jpg (69KB, 300x221px) Image search: [Google]
1344999100626.jpg
69KB, 300x221px
>>50972348
Not that guy, and I don't think 3.5 was shit, but I do think it had a lot of problems, and was fairly difficult to get into, specifically because of massive amounts of "trap" options and bloat.
I know many people that had trouble getting into 5e, which is much simpler.
Avoiding that level of customization and options wasn't about competency it was a logical design choice, one they have mentioned multiple times.
If you don't like that, there is still an ocean of 3.5 splats, go play them. That gory era of 3.5 is an old, but treasured memory. Because of it you are missing the current glory of 5th edition, which is considerable. Let it go, friend
>>
>>50972437
Goodness, anon, I'm flattered. You worked so hard making this bait for ME?
>>
>>50972475
>Avoiding that level of customization and options wasn't about competency it was a logical design choice, one they have mentioned multiple times.

The logic was that options inevitably led to complexity and imbalance.

This is true, but not to anywhere near the degree they pretended it was.

They also ignored the fact that starting packages and pregens can "spoonfeed" the game to new players.

Their entire argument against it consisted of "3.5 did options wrong, so we're not going to do them at all."

If I have to explain the logical flaw(s) in that statement, then you are fucking retarded.
>>
File: Augustus Vorenus.jpg (317KB, 800x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Augustus Vorenus.jpg
317KB, 800x1022px
>>50971408
>>50971577
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

As for the Oath's fluff, it's mostly about cleansing the world of undead and fiends, and protecting those who cannot fight such abominations. Hence all the fire.
>>
>>50972424
It's grinding like all video games. Actual D&D is far different. Try Adventurer's League at your FLGS, you can play the game of D&D without a huge amount of the roleplaying aspect, it's a good way to get into the game.

>>50972476
Not an argument. You cannot respond to my points so you will deny that they exist and create a strawman to attack instead. Standard 5fag operating procedure.
>>
>>50971992
> horrible, stupid ideas from the development, and reworking the shiniest turds into actually enjoyable stuff

Like the moronic Weapon Focus reboot he released, instead of reworking a flail-stunning feat that would have actually made weapon choice an interesting part of the game?
>>
How's this sound for an Oath feature?

>Holy Flame or something like that
>Whenever you deal Fire damage you can instead deal Radiant damage
>>
>>50972532
May I ask what the strawman was?
>>
>>50972514
The logical flaw in that statement is exaggeration. They did plenty of options. Archetypes, feats, variable class features (like Pact Boon), variable archetype features (like the Totem Warrior), Fighting Styles, and spell lists.

3.5 had "more" choices, but the extra choices it had were either bad choices or they weren't really choices at all (if you wanna choose Whirlwind Attack, you gotta "choose" Dodge, Spring Attack, Mobility, and Combat Expertise.

>>50972532
I didn't respond to your point because your points are nonsense noises. The Weapon Specialization feat didn't throw out proning enemies on a hit at all. It just did it in a way that doesn't call for three saving throws per turn.

You also referred to the first version of the feat as "competent".

Also, it's spelled "Mearls".

It's the fact that you're angry about something you clearly didn't read that tells me what you wrote is most likely bait, with a good-size chance of you just being so frothing with anger that people don't recognize how special you are that you can't think straight.
>>
>>50972619
I was just pre-empting the ienvitable statement.
>>
>>50971030
How would you stat something this big?
>>
>>50972635
>They did plenty of options.
> pick one of these three fighter paths

Fuck off.

> feats
> half of which add to ability scores
> only like twenty feats

Fuck off.

>spell lists.
> as if every edition didn't have spell lists

Fuck off.

> 3.5 had "more" choices, but the extra choices it had were either bad choices
> implying more choices inherently means most of those will be bad
> implying 3.5 is the only way to game design
> implying you have to have feat chains
> implying you have to have shitty feats

Yeah, definitely fuck off.
>>
>>50972744
You dont.
>>
File: 1454510704592.jpg (173KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1454510704592.jpg
173KB, 900x900px
Can a changeling not be unwillingly polymorphed?
>>
>>50972755
Oh, god! A /5eg/! I need to go there and say they are doing it wrong!
>>
I'm a new DM running a game for new players. One of my players has a hilarious idea for a character: an arena gladiator with a pro wrestling-like gimmick where he pretends he's a wizard. His "spells" are grapples, slams, and monk Ki moves.

My question: how do you ajudicate a bodyslam or suplex in D&D? I have a feeling its going to come up.
>>
>>50972635
>I didn't respond to your point because your points are nonsense noises.
> It's the fact that you're angry about something you clearly didn't read that tells me what you wrote is most likely bait, with a good-size chance of you just being so frothing with anger that people don't recognize how special you are that you can't think straight.

So there's the "denying the argument exists" and "strawman" that I expected, in the same post, after literally replying to where I called you out for what you were about to do.

Kill yourself. I also don't give a fuck how that cunt spells his name.

> You also referred to the first version of the feat as "competent".

I meant that the idea was a good idea. And it didn't need to be rolled into some shitty feat with a bunch of useless crap, including a flat +1 which this worthless cuck claimed he was trying to avoid with 5e's design.
>>
>>50972776
>>50972776
Oh god! An actual rebuttal of everything I just said! I better respond with an off-topic load of bullshit!

>>50972796
Maybe a special grapple check at disadvantage to throw down for 1d6+Strength damage and end up prone. Or some other shit.

> hilarious

That idea is in no way hilarious, or even that clever. Get over yourself.
>>
>>50972755
You're forgetting about the Banneret. You can also choose several different builds with the Battle Master--support based, control based, damage based, or some combination thereof. Half of the Battle Master's maneuvers are things that would be feats in other editions.

>as if every edition didn't have spell lists
And 5e does as well, and you can use that to customize your spellcaster. If your argument is "it should be more like 3.5", saying "it has a thing 3.5 also had" doesn't really advance your point.

Every feat is self-contained. You don't have to spend four of them to be good at riding a horse. Essentially no one playing 3.5 would take half of the horse-riding feats, say "that's plenty! Time for more customization!" They would take all of the horse-riding feats. Even if they're not in a chain, if you need all of them to achieve the goal "be good at riding a horse", then it's a false choice.
>>
>>50972764
But I really want to
>>
>>50972832
>implying I'm trying to argue with you
>implying you aren't the one off-topic
>>
>>50972844
Fucking rollplayer baka
>>
>>50972809
You only read the parts of my response that would prove you're right and make you angry.

That seems to be a trend, considering it's the same thing you did with the Weapon Feats document.
>>
>>50972844
Why?
>>
File: 1483041279568.png (199KB, 1800x1578px) Image search: [Google]
1483041279568.png
199KB, 1800x1578px
>>50972776
>>
>>50972832
>Get over yourself.

Literally the most pot calling the kettle black shit I've seen all day.
>>
>>50972832

>shitting on new players

Fuck off, moron.
>>
>>50972348

I've never understood this type of thinking when it comes to RPG's. You're only going to be playing with four or five other people (and if you're fortunate you're going to be playing with your friends) so why in the world do sales and popularity matter in judging an RPG?
>>
>>50971159
I might steal this for a campaign, have the party explore a dungeon that was once part of some ancient empire of giants, and all the coins are the size of a wagon wheel.
>>
>>50972832
>An actual rebuttal of everything I just said!
"Fuck off" is a rebuttal now?

Also, that wasn't me. You might've figured that out already, but then, you've given me no reason to expect that from you.
>>
>>50972796
>One of my players has a hilarious idea for a character
No.

>how do you ajudicate a bodyslam or suplex in D&D?
Unarmed strike + Tavern Brawler, grappling and shoving.
>>
I'll soon need to heal a lame NPC. What spell should do the job? Lesser restoration? Greater restoration? Regeneration seems a bit extreme, unless I hack his leg off first.
>>
>>50972602
I have a player using this with a feature, with a homebrew paladin archetype. It's useful (lets him use his domain spells against fiends that are otherwise fire immune/resistant) but hasn't broken anything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_73NA7vK-0OejQ3UFFYdDJuR28/view
>>
What are some good 1st level adventure hooks? The characters are all starting in a good sized port town. The setting is cold, dark and depressing.

I was thinking of having them framed for a crime and forced to work for the mob to avoid imprisonment or banishment.
>>
>>50973016
Probably Greater Restoration. Lesser Restoration is actually pretty limited in what it can heal.
>>
>>50972943
>so why in the world do sales and popularity matter in judging an RPG?

Things that don't sell well, don't get updates, or even additional printings. While technically speaking you don't need anything more than the PHB, DMG, and MM to play D&D, it's still nice to get updates of new, official content, especially stuff like Volo's Guide or the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

When making your product, your first priority is getting people to buy that product, because otherwise you won't be making that product for long.
>>
>>50973016
>Limp. Your speed on foot is reduced by 5 feet. You must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw after using the Dash action. If you fail the save, you fall prone. Magical healing removes the limp. (DMG, p.272, Lingering Injuries table)

I guess a regular Cure Wounds would do it. If you want something more, lesser restoration should do the job, as it can end the paralyzed condition.
>>
>>50973103
>When making your product, your first priority is getting people to buy that product, because otherwise you won't be making that product for long.

THat's cool and all but I'm not WOTC. I'm a consumer. If the base system is good enough I don't even need a ton of updates. Had enough of that with 3.5.

To me the only thing that matters in an RPG is how well its constructed and how fun it is to play, because I'm not someone who wants splat overload.
>>
>>50972864
What parts was I supposed to read then?

>>50972851
> discussing 5e mechanics in 5eg is offtopic.

I guess the only thing allowed is constant circlejerking then?
>>
>>50972939
>being a new player means you can do stupid shit and not get called out for it, because we all have to be nice to new players because roleplaying is a special safe place for snowflakes to have their ideas supported, no matter how shitty they are

Fuck off, moron.
>>
>>50973087
Just as a warning, that's straying a bit close to railroading.

>framed for a crime... [trying to] avoid imprisonment or banishment
That part's fine.
>forced to work for the mob
That's what concerns me. It's okay to give your players a specific goal, just don't try to dictate how they'll do it.

Anyhow, it's otherwise okay. As long as there's a reason why they'd be framed.

Other possibilities:
>Town attacked by raiders
>Stumble on crime ring that's bought off the police
>Returning a lost dog takes a turn for the worse
>>
>>50973202
How long has it been since you had a group? A few years now?
>>
>>50972951
> I only read eight words of that post and ignored the rest that highlighted my hypocrisy in greentext

Also

> Also, that wasn't me.

Then don't reply to it like it was, moron. This board doesn't have IDs, how the fuck am I supposed to know?

>>50973204
> Just as a warning, that's straying a bit close to railroading.

What the fuck? Having bad guys use leverage against you, is now considered railroading? I guess we should all run sandbox campaigns where the PCs can effortlessly become bandit bad-asses without interference from the city guards, if they so choose.
>>
>>50973189
You're saying "re-post selections from the thing you already posted, and to which I can scroll at any time, so because I didn't read it."

You must understand why I hesitate to believe you're not trolling.
>>
File: Helpful advice.jpg (47KB, 362x565px) Image search: [Google]
Helpful advice.jpg
47KB, 362x565px
>>50973202
>>
>>50973223
I've been playing with a group for almost four years now. And we did have some new players. Some stayed, some left because roleplaying was not for them.

Nice just-world fallacy that, because you think I am an asshole, I must have no friends and no one to game with.

I try to help new players but if they come up with a stupid-ass idea I'm going to tell them it's a stupid-ass idea.

You sound like the kind of guy who listens to his friends yammer about the dream they had last night for half an hour because you're too much of a pussy to tell them you don't give a fuck about what stupid dream they had.
>>
>>50973239
>reading one part of the post, ignoring the rest, getting angry over a misinterpretation of that one line
You're doing it again.
>>
>>50973106
Limping is like having a thorn or something in your foot that keeps you from walking at full speed. Pretty far removed from someone being lame, i.e. with a limb that entirely doesn't work.

I think Greater Restoration would be best.
>>
File: hm elf.jpg (46KB, 452x518px) Image search: [Google]
hm elf.jpg
46KB, 452x518px
>2017
>responding to virtposts

Anyway, what do you guys hope to see in ranger archetypes on the 9th? They've got the fewest in the game right now (only 3) and revised ranger has fixed most of the base class problems, so I'm excited to see what else they add. With hunter, deep stalker, and beast, they've got some of the widest variety in subclasses despite having the fewest, imo.
>>
>>50973255
> t. whoever posted the dumb-ass John Cena character idea.

It's not hilarious, or clever. It's pretty gimmicky and stupid on top of that.

>>50973243
Well you clearly can't be bothered to read the entirety of what I post either, so you aren't any different.

And if you can't sum up the crux of your argument in a single sentence, you don't deserve to be part of an argument.

Not to mention, if you DID have a point, you could have just posted it instead of making an ad-hominem attack.
>>
>>50973279
>responding to virtposts
You're right, I'm sorry. It's a bad habit.

I'm thinking/hoping they might add a version of the Seeker.
>>
>>50973279
Like to see an urban ranger, and an arcane ranger myself
>>
File: are_u_fkn_serious.png (124KB, 353x251px) Image search: [Google]
are_u_fkn_serious.png
124KB, 353x251px
>>50973279
Why don't they delete the dumb-ass archetypes and replace them with feats that let you actually make meaningful choices about your character besides picking from one of several pregenerated paths?

Oh wait, if they did that, the game would immediately turn into a bloat-filled fuckfest like 3.5.

Those are the only two options. So I guess we should just add more lame prepackaged bullshit with a cool-sounding (not really) name like "deep stalker" (seriously that sounds like a bad video game class) instead.
>>
>>50971900
Warlocks need a complete fucking overhaul like Ranger got to be honest. The way it handles some things like Bladelock and the lack of interesting invocations is not excused by how good, too good, Eldritch blast and its invocations are.
>>
>>50973279
Man Hunter
Urban Ranger
Trickshots

>>50973204
I like the stumbling into the crime ring idea. I was going to have them framed because the guards are already paid off, and this way the public gets a body
>>
>>50973270
Oops, language mistake there. "Being lame" and "limping" translate to the same thing in my first language.

Anyway, supposing it's not the result of a curse, I would still let Lesser Restoration do it,as it can remove the blinded, deafened and paralyzed conditions.
>>
>>50973306
Y'know, I tinkered with an urban ranger concept as a homebrew archetype. The problem I ran into is that it was very hard to get it to gel with the ranger's class features (granted I think that was pre-revision). I'm not saying it won't happen, though, maybe they can think of something I can't.

By the way, the revision took a lot of the fun out of homebrewing. If you look at the revised Conclaves, it's basically
>5th level: Extra Attack or similar
>7th level: defensive feature
>11th level: Extra Attack But Not Quite
>15th level: defensive feature
>>
>>50973279
Where are the revised Ranger rules at? Are they in a UA or were they put in a book somewhere? Also, how did they revise Ranger to make it suck less?
>>
>>50973279
>on the 9th
Those fuckers took last Monday off due to Christmas, now they're taking this one off as well?
>>
File: Revised Ranger.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Revised Ranger.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50973393
It was a UA. I think it details the plan from there.

Personally I think it's kinda overpowered at 1st level. Not game-breakingly so or anything. Just, like, if you compare the benefits of Natural Explorer with what the fighter gets at the same level.
>>
>>50973402
Other people have things called "families", and around this time of year, it's customary for people with families to spend time with them, since there are a couple holidays clumped together.
>>
>>50972437
>UA is absolute garbage and is an excuse to not release more books
First line and you've already given up on effective bait.
UA is their playtest material for when they do make the next book.
Not even responding to the rest.
>>
>>50973449
>TWO WHOLE WEEKS of family time
>>
>>50973473
I know, it's difficult to believe.
>>
File: terry-02.jpg (259KB, 800x970px) Image search: [Google]
terry-02.jpg
259KB, 800x970px
>>50973279
Beastmaster but with the ability to forcefully tame/bond with monsters.
>>
>>50973402
>>50973473
Ask for your money back. Oh, wait...
>>
>>50973519
>monster mind_break ntr
>>
>>50973577
FatalPulse, pls.
>>
>>50973473
>>50973449
>>50973402
>Wizards of the Coast is closed for its winter break from December 26 through January 2. Our next Unearthed Arcana installment will be on Monday, January 9, 2017.
They get one full week off, but that week includes two Mondays.
>>
>>50973655
I want to work at Wizards, jeeze.
Do they have like an in-house restaurant or cafe or something?
not that it matters. Im stuck in TN.
>>
File: darkelfvsalien.png (3MB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
darkelfvsalien.png
3MB, 1280x857px
>>50973605
>OotA Uncut Edition
>>
>>50973655
these niggas can't press PUBLISH on the pdfs on Tuesday? gott damn
>>
>>50973711
It's a ritual, anon, obviously. Like, if you wanna take a relaxing bath, so you light some candles, burn some incense, set out some lotions 'n' shit, then you discover you're all out of candles, then the whole thing is ruined so you figure just screw it, you'll do it next week.

These scenarios are exactly similar with no qualifications.
>>
>>50973279
We have a weird fighting style ranger, an animal companion ranger, and a stealth ambush ranger. We could use a more magical ranger. One with more offensive/debuff magic and another with more healing/supporting magic. So Fey Ranger and anti-Undead Ranger, right?
>>
>>50973711
I think we all know the PDF's are written, hastily, poorly, and sloppily, the day before, if not during the drive to work, to be published, still steaming, once a month, on a Monday, eventually. Usually. Just imagine how much more care is being given towards getting the weekly versions typed and edited.
>>
>>50973473
Most places that aren't in the service industry will close down for the week between Christmas and New Years since there's really no point in staying open for those days, and because a lot of employees save up their vacation time for it.
>>
File: trapsillustrated.gif (511KB, 267x152px) Image search: [Google]
trapsillustrated.gif
511KB, 267x152px
TRAP RANGER
NIGHT RANGER
POWER RANGER
>>
>>50973931
>Power Ranger
I know it doesn't fit but if they made a sentai-like Ranger based off of this stupid ass pun I"d at least look into asking my DM to change my archetype
>>
>>50973931
>Trap Ranger
pls
>>
File: vulcanball.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vulcanball.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>50973984
It's real easy. You just give them a Rage or Bladedance-like ability X/rest that lets them monologue for an infinite amount of time as a free action, and anything they kill EXPLODES
>>
>>50973931
>>50973997
Thirding trap ranger
>>
>>50974068
>When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, the creature explodes. All creatures not friendly to you within 20 feet of the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 force damage per Hit Die of the slain creature on a failed save, or half as much damage on a success.
>>
File: 1453562792094.jpg (49KB, 502x700px) Image search: [Google]
1453562792094.jpg
49KB, 502x700px
>>50973431
>be newfag, never even seen someone play a ranger in 5e before
>check back in the PHB for vanilla Ranger
>compare it to this
>understanding
I really want to make a ranger now, this revision is so good.
>>
>>50974081
>>50973997
Wait, would the trap ranger specialize in being a trap, or would traps be to the trap ranger what beasts are to the beast ranger?

If the latter:
>When you complete a short rest, you regain hit points equal to your ranger level from your trap fawning over how brave you were and how big your muscles are or how pretty you are (your choice).
>>
>>50971030
Hi guys, posted this in the last thread and got one response. Just wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts about it.

>OK /5eg/, I'm about to get back into D&D and have never played 5th. Currently tossing up between a Half Orc Fighter who uses spears and javelins with a shield ala hoplites and wants to find glory in battle, or a (maybe) Human Warlock who'll go Fiend and Blade Pact and wants to use the demon given powers to enact as much good as possible before succumbing to evil.

I know how to build fighters. I'm a bit lost on Warlock spells. Help would be awesome!
>>
How high can an Unseen Servant lift things?
>>
>>50974175
Depends on (a) what you think would be more fun to roleplay and (b) the rest of your party's makeup, if you know.
>>
>>50974081
>>50974118
I wish the word trap wasn't ruined by faggots.
>>
>>50974175
I have never seen a warlock that wasn't a game-ruining special snowflake. Especially the tormented ones that want ~to use the demon given powers to enact as much good as possible before succumbing to evil~. But if you think you can make one without ruining the game for the other players and the DM, go for it.
>>
File: orcsmustdie.jpg (764KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
orcsmustdie.jpg
764KB, 1920x1080px
>>50974118
Obviously you just get damage and control spells but instead of "magic" they're SWEET BEAR TRAPS and shit that you pull out of your ass.
>>
>>50974175

Glorybound hoplite orc. Just sounds more fun than a brooding caster on a time limit.
>>
>>50974118
>>50974307
I personally don't care if the ranger is, themselves, a trap or not.

I JUST WANT MORE TRAPS DAMMMMIIIIIIT
MAGICAL TRAPS, WIRE TRAPS
PIT TRAPS GALORE
SAW TRAPS, ROCK TRAPS
MORE MORE MORE

PLACE THEM QUICKLY, NO COST HERE
LURE THEM IN, MAYBE WITH BEER
FOLLOW THE TRAILS, PLACE THE SPIKES
NAIL THEM UP LIKE WE'RE KIKES

Gonna stop there, but seriously
I have a need for quickly placed traps man.
Bear traps, glyphs and "lol alchemists fire on top of the partially opened door" can only go so far.
>>
>>50974209
Taking into consideration average height, length of arms, ability to tippy-toe, finger extension and grip dynamics:
Exactly eight feet for invisible butlers, seven feet five inches for invisible maids.
>>
>>50974473
>NAIL THEM UP LIKE WE'RE KIKES
But it was the Romans who did the nailing. To the Hebrews, even.
>>
>>50971242
>>
>>50974473

Just by trapmaking tools and the parts to make it happen. Don't need class features for traps.
>>
>>50974676
>he still thinks DMs will let you have fun unless you can show them the text of a feature that explicitly allows this exact action, or a spell
>>
>>50974713
Oh, yes. The my-dm-doesnt-let-me-have-fun meme. Quite a sight.
>>
>>50974307
We're not faggots we just like fucking faggots
>>
>>50974713

Hah, I'm a DM and I'd work with you to make it happen.
>>
>>50974747
You best get used to memes, sonny
we're living in one
>>
File: Los Tiburon.jpg (99KB, 909x835px) Image search: [Google]
Los Tiburon.jpg
99KB, 909x835px
>>50973293

>It's not hilarious, or clever. It's pretty gimmicky and stupid on top of that.

It's perfectly fine? He said he has the gladiator background, and having a gimmick is part and parcel to being a good gladiator.
>>
File: 20161114231000_1.jpg (264KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161114231000_1.jpg
264KB, 1920x1080px
>>50974771

It's not a meme if it's reality.
>>
>>50974780
>people who don't like grapplers
Truly scum
>>
>>50974068
At first I thought some one added the ball. But no. That's the scene.
>>
File: sunvulcantires.webm (3MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
sunvulcantires.webm
3MB, 200x150px
>>50974839
>he doesn't know about Sun Vulcan
Strap in, bucko
>>
File: vulsharknecksnap.webm (812KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vulsharknecksnap.webm
812KB, 640x480px
>>50974839
>>
I need a new character

DM says it can't be too outside the curve, (no polearm bugbear, lizardfolk dino druid, tabaxi swashbuckler), no bard, no barbarian, and no cleric, no wizard because those have been my last five, and no fighter because the party has already got two.

So. What's good and boring
>>
>>50973293
>It's not hilarious, or clever. It's pretty gimmicky and stupid on top of that.
I had a fellow player who did something dumb like that. He made an optimized for combat barbarian with next to no int. Naturally we ignored the fuck out of him during everything not related to punching shit. He bitched and moaned about not having fun and the DM, who was a closer friend to him than any of us, stopped the entire campaign over it.

Its like, you have purposefully made a charicature. Not an actual character with distinct motivations or complex traits but a card board cut-out made to yell and punch. You lose the right to bitch when take the beginnings of an idea then make a character out of that rather than putting in the work to see more out of it.
>>50974068
>exploding enemies
>summonable weapons
>giant robots
>RIDEEEER KICK
>>
>>50974948
> no bard, no barbarian, and no cleric, no wizard because those have been my last five, and no fighter
what in the fuck
>>
>>50974948
Revised ranger, gnoll.
Tiefling sorcerer
>>
>>50974948
>he thinks there's a problem with three fighters
Battlemasters grow stronger the more of them there are
>>
Party of four fifth-level PCs exploring a crashed alien spaceship. I whipped up some custom baddies, r8&h8 pls

>Scarab Swarms
Basically Necron Scarabs from 40k; they're not quite so impressive and advanced, but then again, the players don't have flashlights. Maintenance bots.
40 HP, 10 AC, Resistant to all physical damage.

4d4+4 damage to every individual in their area.
Occupy four squares in any contiguous (diagonals count) configuration.
-1d4+1 damage for every 10 HP damage they take.

>androids
Pathfinder-style. They're in telepathic contact with Control, so they get advantage on one save per round. (Will mainly be used to dodge fireballs and deal with naturally-occurring terrain hazards)
S - D - C - I - W - C
10 16 12 10 12 10
Proficiency: 6
45 HP AC 16 Resist Heat, Cold

+9 atk 1d8+3
+9 atk 1d8+3
+9 atk 1d8 [dual wielding]

And because their shock batons are zappy, DC 8 CON save every time they hit someone; first failure is deafened, second failure is blinded, third failure is stunned. Fourth failure would be incapacitated; I'm thinking of them as MP "Detain our unruly guests" kind of nonlethal restraints (though quite happy to electroshock people to death. I'd like to get another attack in there as the DC 8 / 3 maximum hits makes them pretty ineffective unless they're ganging up on someone, but then again, that might be too much.

Feels like more attacks, lower damage die, or maybe increasing the DC to 10 and keeping it at three is in order, but this is my first real homebrewing for fivee.
>>
>>50974948
Kobold rogue.
>>
>>50974948

Janken monk.
>>
>>50975022

Rogue Mastermind/thief is currently leading the race
>>
>>50974948
Electrode krillin.
>>
I don't know where to ask, in FATAL, if you make an optimized character you want to have a high anal circumference right ? Or is there a down side to it ? Seems counterintuitive.
>>
>>50974948
So your options are paladin, ranger, sorcerer, warlock, druid, or monk, right?

I'd say go for a paladin or a monk, but adamantly refuse to have anything interesting about the character. (S)he's always insisting the party do nothing but stay in town working menial jobs.
>>
>>50975107
If it is too high you won't be able to hold in shit.
What you want is high strength, for clamping down, and elasticity, to prevent tearing.
>>
>>50975129
>monk doesn't understand why people want to do dangerous shit when they can stay in the church and help make blueberry wine
>someone else will deal with those roving goblin hordes
>>
>>50975107
>not also putting on monotreeme name
Missed opportunity.
>>
File: fansadox.png (134KB, 352x140px) Image search: [Google]
fansadox.png
134KB, 352x140px
>>50974959

>having no INT means you aren't allowed to participate in the story

Just stupid.
>>
>>50975129
>(S)he's always insisting the party do nothing but stay in town working menial jobs.

This has actually some nice spite potential, because Stronghold building and ocasional management is slated for eventual part of our gameplay
>>
>>50975141

> Want no traburu monk

Go Gentle Soul if UA is allowed, and get someone to play Valor Bard so you can replay Rush Hour movies
>>
>>50975141
And just straight-up turn away any adventure hooks the DM throws at you.
"The dire rats have gotten out of control!"
"Aw, man. That's a bummer."

"My God, the king's been assassinated! You have to do something!"
"Okay, I'll go to the tailor's shop to buy some black clothing."

"The raiders have breached the town gate! They're going to burn the city to the ground!"
"Well, I guess we're heading to the next town over for my dentist visit."
>>
So my party and I finished a story arc before the holidays. And now we are "between adventures"
My DM asked me to think about some things because of how the arc ended.

My character is a Wizard(Divination) who was a detective in a city we were in. Some ancient evil god thing got resurrected and blood started raining down from the sky. The city was pretty much fucked, powerful NPC teleported us out of there.

My character's motivation was to investigate one of the party members (the warlock) and send reports back to his boss, while making sure this Warlock didnt break some rules involving magic use within the city.
>Whoa...those are not FDA approved spell components. You can't use those.

But since the city got kinda borked and it looks like my character is unemployed now, I need a new motivation.

DM asked me to find answers to the following questions before we start back up on the 21st.

>Why is he adventuring in the long term?

>Why does he work with others?

I figure in the short term his goal is to find a means to defeat this evil old god thing and free his home from crazy shit.

Any suggestions? The "Why does he work with others" is especially hard to figure out.

He also wants us to make sure we are Good aligned characters. Which I am fine with. I was thinking because our last adventure went sideways my Wizard will have a newfound appreciation for righteousness and good deeds because this is the first time he saw real evil.
>>
>>50971960
Okay I can certainly agree that more flexible customisation would be nice, but don't pretend that 3.5 did it better. Feats did absolutely nothing until they injected a dozen or so "technically official" supplments, and you couldn't get much out of your character without being like 5 or so different classes. If you want that level of freedom don't play dnd, they're playing to their strengths of being easy to access and easily gratifying, which doesn't work if one of the classes has "turn undead" as their only class feature.
>>
>>50975321
Good aligned warlocks always seem to me a bit difficult to find.

What's the party composition? What does your guy think of each of them?
>>
I want to make the Lawyer Warlock concept I've seen talked about here every once in a while.

What's the best build? Enchanter Tiefling Chain Fiend? Half-Elf Tome Archfey? Scourge Aasimar Blade Old One? Discard Warlock and go instead for Rogue/Bard?
>>
>>50975436
>Lawyer Warlock concept
what is?
>>
>>50975465

Someone made a pretty decent showcase once of building "fantasy lawyer type" out of a tiefling fiend warlock, who made a deal to escape hell in exchange to returning to it its most evil escaped souls.
But on the flipside, as an agent of hell, he could use his charisma to save the souls less deserving of eternal torment by using his status as an agent of basically satan to once in a while call in a court appeal for its divine judgement
>>
>>50975135
What are the mehanical disadvanyage of not holdong shit ? Penalty on social inreraction or something ?
>>
>>50975162
When you act like it, yes it does. There are plenty of examples of good /tg/ barbarians who are dumb but still fun and relevant. He was not. He yelled about nothing in particular for about two sessions before starting to bitch about making a character dumber than bricks (i am not kidding about this, I'm near certain he had 4 int). We ignored him because he said nothing useful or amusing. We ignored him because he was a bad roleplayer and his character concept was too weak to carry him at all with nothing but dumb yelling and OOC jokes that got stale before the session had even started.
>>
>>50975528
> call in a court appeal for its divine judgement
sounds more like a cleric than a warlock to me
>>
>>50974315
>game-ruining
Now that's a bit dramatic, isn't it? The "use evil powers for good" trope is pretty common. If you just can't stand that trope, which is to a good extent what the very concept of the warlock class is predicated on, then yes, warlocks will ruin your fun.

I guess I can imagine a lot of people, for lack of experience or lack of self-consciousness, just play unbearably angsty warlocks who love to impose their exposition on you in the most obnoxious way. Full disclosure, my first ever character was a 3.5 warlock, but no, I never imposed my character's dark, tragic exposition on the other characters, because why would my character do that?

>>50974175
If you're playing a Blade Pact, just know that you've got your work cut out for you a bit. In this case, your spell list should serve to buff you up and make your enemies easier to hit. Armor of Agathys will pad out your d8 Hit Dice, and should complement the Fiend Pact well. Green Flame Blade will be a helpful cantrip for you, augmenting your melee damage and letting you hurt multiple targets at once, and Hex will also increase your damage against one target and give them disadvantage for one of their ability checks (I recommend debuffing strength most of the time). Mirror Image provides better defense without needing to use your concentration. Spells and effects that give you control, or grant you advantage will be quite useful. Magical darkness, from spells like Darkness or Hunger of Hadar, combined with the Devil's Sight invocation, can make your enemies blind while you see them clearly, giving you advantage against them. Also look at feats that enhance your action economy, letting you attack or cast spells as bonus actions or reactions, like War Caster. Lastly, short rests, and how much your party utilizes them, are a key part to the warlock's spellcasting. If you can't get your party to take short rests, it greatly diminishes the warlock's effectiveness.
>>
>>50975653
G A R G A U T H
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gargauth

>so good at lawyering they KICKED HIM OUT OF HELL FOR BEING TOO EVIL
>every other evil god teams up just to keep him in check
>doesn't even want to ruin the world or murder people
>>
>>50975540
Duh
It also ruins your gear/clothes, adds disease modifiers and at times gives severe movement penalties.

You need to do more of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFtcLJVN8yg
>>
>>50975773
Too bad Trickery Domain is so ugh, I would've enjoyed such a character.
>>
Does anyone have any links to more asian kinds of monsters and undead? Hopping vampires and all of that?

I really like a lot of it and I'm on the verge of introducing some otherwordly asian country to my players, but little beyond hobgoblins, oni and kenku really grab me as having an oriental vibe- undead in particular.
>>
>>50975216
Playing a Pathfinder campaign as Owen Wilson, friend is playing Jackie Chan. Most nonsensical fun I've had in a campaign yet.
>>
Question: If I were to make an archery/dex-based Fighter, which official, non-UA archetype would I be better off using? I initially thought Battlemaster, but aside from Precision Strike, everything seems built more for melee flavour than ranged flavour.
>>
>>50975983
Most of the maneuvers BMs get also work at range. Trip, disarm, push, and others work with ranged weapons. Shoot a sword out of an enemy's hands, push them back 15 feet with an arrow, make them fall on their ass by blowing out their kneecaps.
>>
>>50975768
As I said, if you can play it without ruining the fun for the others, do it. It's just my anedoctal experience that all warlock players I had the displeasure to meet acted like angsty teens.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (79KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
79KB, 800x1132px
Recently have been invited for a 5ed game, and only have some experience with 3.5. Would you guys please give me some info on the questions below?

1) What classes could a Tiefling perform good or at least decent?

2) is multiclassing a must? I heard 5ed make it less so than in 3.5; I wonder if I'm missing too much by not multiclassing

3) Is there any class that, on initial levels (1-5), seem too unbalanced (for better or worse)? Which and why?

4) any extra char-related noob info appreciated
>>
>>50975983
Eldritch Knight might be fun. Pester enemies at long range with both arrows and spells.
>>
>>50975983
You can go for 14 Charisma, grab Inspiring Leader, and use Rally on your allies. Human variant makes the build better but since you're fighter, feats are pretty accessible.
>>
File: 1483159773679.png (90KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483159773679.png
90KB, 600x600px
the next Mystic release will be fucking awesome.
>>
>>50975983
Actually, battlemaster is a great archetype for the character. Disarming attack, goading attack, pushing attack and trip attack all give you great battlefield control and have a great flavor for ranged fighters.
>>
>>50976050
1. Any class that benefits from Charisma and Intelligence are a must, obviously, and no class actually benefits from both. That means Tieflings aren't an optimized race, which means you're pretty much free as long as you're a Charisma (or Intelligence) based class. Bards, Warlocks, Sorcerers are the usual suspects since they're charisma based spellcasters.

2. Multiclassing in 5E is tricky and generally not that great. It's useful to make some type of characters happen, but you better be sticking to one class for the 3 or 5 first levels.

3. Classes have very different power curves, but nothing major. Bard is pretty fucking strong, and is pretty underplayed I've found.

4a. If you choose a spellcasting class, especially a divine spellcasting class that needs to prepare their spells (clerics, paladins, druids)... read the spells you can cast and learn them well. Also read everything you can on Spellcasting and how it works (learn religiously the Spellcasting feature of the class you've chosen, but also chapter 10 of the PHB)

4b. Make a strong character concept, tie in your Background (make a custom one if you want, it's RAW), and have fun roleplaying.
>>
>>50975983

I went archer rogue.
>>
>>50976073
50 discipline? That doesnt sound like 5e.
>>
>>50976050
Tieflings are good sorcerers, warlocks, bards and paladins.
>>
>>50976189
each order has there own disciplines there are six orders so no its not that bad.
>>
>>50975346

The group consists of

Aarakocra Divination Wizard(Me), Human GOO Bladelock, Tiefling Fiend Pactlock, Dwarf Moon Druid

There is also a Human Fighter who has shown up to maybe 1/5 of the sessions.

My character is sort of the outsider in the group. the GOO Bladelock runs a investigation shop. Like some kind of Nancy Drew character. The Pactlock and the Moon Druid are her employees. My character is sent by the Magical Police to make sure she doesn't do unsanctioned magic stuff within the city and to send reports about her to my character's bosses, for reasons unknown to my character.

>GOO Bladelock
Definitely seen as the leader of our group by my character. Though my character doesn't really respect her as a leader. She does not have her shit together. She's brave with good intentions though.
>You've got a good heart...you're mind on the other hand is questionable.

>Fiend Pactlock
My wizard enjoys the company of the Pactlock the most, but he doesn't trust him at all. He's kind of a murderhobo player, so while he's a fun guy and my wizard talks with him on a friendly/casual level, he sees the Pactlock as a hazard.
>Look, i like you, you're alot of fun, but I need atleast an arm's length between us.

>Moon Druid
He is always in Wildshape. We're almost never in a situation where he cant feasibly just stay in Wildshape due to it refreshing on a Short Rest. I know he's a dwarf cause he popped out to cast a spell once. My character's opinion of the Druid is that he is odd and an unknown factor in the group, so he's kind of wary of him, but the Druid always comes through and protects the group. So while suspicious, he trusts the druid.
>I don't really know what's going on with you...but you've clearly got my back.
>>
>>50976189
This shit is probably going to be officialized in a PHB2 which will undoubtedly include more spells. When you consider that the EEPC alone dumped like 40-50 spells that were solely elemental-themed, it's easy to imagine that a PHB2 will include some spell list bloat for the existing classes. A release for the Mystic, which is also a full caster, would need enough spell (power) options to compete with the fleshed-out spell lists of the other classes, so many more disciplines than we've seen in the past UA makes sense.

Also, they may have reduced the number of options per discipline and increased the amount of disciplines learned.
>>
>>50976168
>>50976050
>1. Any class that benefits from Charisma and Intelligence are a must, obviously, and no class actually benefits from both. That means Tieflings aren't an optimized race, which means you're pretty much free as long as you're a Charisma (or Intelligence) based class. Bards, Warlocks, Sorcerers are the usual suspects since they're charisma based spellcasters.

To be honest, I didn't make myself clear on that point. You don't really need to go for a Charisma based class. Most race will perform "good" or at least decent with any class. We're talking 5% here, 5% there optimization.

It's also pretty cool to have Thaumaturgy (from tieflings' Infernal Legacy) when you're playing a Paladin (Charisma!) or any other class that doesn't normally cast cantrips (Swashbuckler).
>>
So, composite bows. Any reason not to bring them back?
>>
>>50976050
>tiefling
kys
>>
What happens if you have a concentration spell up and you use Wish to replicate the effect of a concentration spell?
>>
>>50976289
So playing a Thief Monk or Rogue (which are my initial ideas) wouldnt necessarily gim my character, considering the lack of sinergy?
>>
so what are the bard exclusive spells?

I got Vicious Mockery down, Power Word Heal, and I was shocked to find Compulsion a couple of minutes ago

Anything else I'm missing?
>>
File: tieflings are scum.png (115KB, 588x411px) Image search: [Google]
tieflings are scum.png
115KB, 588x411px
>>50976050
>4) any extra char-related noob info appreciated

tieflings are hard to roleplay well
>>
>>50976343
Use the spellviewer program in the trove
>>
>>50976017
Are there any particular examples that stick out to you? I'm legitimately curious, since I've either been blessed with decent enough players or sufficiently low standards, I've never had that problem myself.
>>
>>50976343

only dissonant whispers
>>
>>50976343
>>50976380

Actually don't bother there is only dissonant whispers left.
>>
>>50976073
No, it wont. Specially because Sohei would be shit, also Sohei? what has a warrior monk anything to do with fighter or psionics? Sohei should be a monk subclass.
>>
>>50976342
As long as you have 14 in the ability scores the class use, you're good... generally.

Even with 14 WIS and 14 DEX, Monk might be a bit tricky though. The class' design is quite narrow, to a point where even WotC design team is having trouble expending upon it (see the recent issues with kensei subclass).

Swashbuckler tiefling sounds pretty good to me.
>>
>>50976375
That aspect is exactly what drove me to consider them. It's going to be a Ravenloft game. So I thought of a Nightcrawler-ish (X-Men) type of character. Either a Shadow monk or a Thief Rogue.

But actually in terms of stats it seemed like a real poor choice, so I'm confuse.
>>
>>50976478

you can take variant tiefling Feral for more agreable stats
>>
>>50976478
If your game allows splatbooks, there's variant options for tiefling in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that give the Tiefling a +1 to dexterity rather than intelligence.
>>
>>50976448
the Mystic class willl good.
>>
>>50976448
>hey we made a monk subclass that uses weapons, wears armor, and has cleric spells
You realize that MONK does not = punches things, right?
>>
>>50975321
Just gonna bump once, asking for suggestions again.
>>
>>50971686
Sacred Flame is your staple attack cantrip.
Spiritual Weapon is your bonus action attack spell.
Fireball and Scorching Ray for when you want things dead quickly.
>>
>>50976556
Let me rephrase it, Sohei were zen martial artists who ALSO fought with armor and with weapons if they felt like it, better? Now, how many classes have martial arts?
>>
>>50976050
3) Moon Druid is pretty strong at 2-4. Since you can become a Bear with 2 attacks. Other class has to wait until level 5 for that.
>>
File: eldritchbrassdragonborn.png (610KB, 1280x466px) Image search: [Google]
eldritchbrassdragonborn.png
610KB, 1280x466px
Is Defensive Duelist worth it? Is Dual Wielder worth it?
>>
>>50976618
Nice for a different time, but for this one I'm tending to a more "dark/mysterious wanderer" kind of character concept.
>>
>>50976636
Define worth it, do you mean if they're optimal? not really, specially Dual Wielder

>And now the huurrr minmanxer duurrr will appear in 3...2...1
>>
>>50976636
>>50976689

Defensive Duelist, eh? That's a good idea. I should make a character centered around that feat. That'll be fun.
>>
I want to make a Shield Other spell would this work? Is 3rd level too high? 2nd seems low but then again I would not put normal shield at level 1 either. What do you guys think?

3nd level spell

1 rea (friendly character within 60ft of you gets hit by an attack)

The friendly characters AC gets +5 untill his next turn.
>>
Are the fleeing rules in this edition designed poorly?
>>
>>50976662
I feel like "dark/mysterious wanderer" and a spellcaster who is travels the wilds and turns into savage beasts kind of fits with this a bit.

>I heard he turned into a bear and defeated those bandits!
>He turned into a bear?!
>How is that even possible? What kind of powers does he wield? Where did he come from? What is he?
>>
>>50976818
yes and no
>>
>>50976268
Well that's tricky. What's kinda cool is that your character could be in the same situation that you are: not knowing what to do next, since he's suddenly unemployed and without purpose. And that means that he could try to figure it out with the rest of the party, in roleplay.
I strongly advise against a divine manifestation, like "this god of magic talked to me and told me to follow the warlocks". It's obvious and shit.

Is your character's bosses the only tie to this city that got destroyed? If he's been in it for a long time, couldn't he seek revenge for something, or someone?

Maybe try to think about why he became a Diviner, maybe there lies the answer.

In last resort, you can always switch for a character that'd blend much more easily with the rest of the party.
>>
>>50973346
I think they need to add a bit more baked-in scaling to each boon, especially Bladelock. Also, make it so they start with EB and then pick the normal number of cantrips on top of that. By changing your assumptions of what they may or may not have you can justify doing more interesting things with the Blade Pact, like having pact weapon attacks that scale like EB be a base part of the Boon, on top of other more interesting invocations.
>>
>>50976617
Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Monk, and Paladin as far as base classes go, though Valor Bards and Bladelocks also know martial arts.
>>
File: edgear.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
edgear.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>50976662
>dark/mysterious wanderer
>>
>>50976826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYqjcHYTQgQ
>>
>>50976872
>forgetting about everywizard, cleric, rogue, warlock and bard
All of them, all classes in fact, have proficiency in at least 1 weapon, therefore, according to you, know martial arts
>>
>>50976826
Please explain further.
>>
>>50976944
I forgot about Rogues, yes.
>>
>>50976902
What does he say at the end?
>>
>>50976833
>Is your character's bosses the only tie to this city that got destroyed? If he's been in it for a long time, couldn't he seek revenge for something, or someone?

This works well I think. But I wouldn't mind a reason to be an adventurer that goes beyond this kind of goal. Like...after he defeats this evil and reclaims the city, why does he keep adventuring?
>>
>>50972437
You sound severely autistic and corpulent.
I'm picturing boogiefrancis as you.
>>
>>50976872
>Barbs
>Zen
Also martial arts are arts from Mars, and as far as I know sohei dont' even know Helenic gods exist.
>>
>>50972475
Nah he can't let it go because it means he can't continue to spew shit from his mouth, and that's just not on.
>>
File: 5296982.jpg (105KB, 546x535px) Image search: [Google]
5296982.jpg
105KB, 546x535px
>>50977099

Nigga, I'm drunk as fuck and even I think what you just said was dumb as shit.
>>
>>50976689
>>50976636

I would say that defensive duelist is. although with a proficiency of 3 or 4
Same that dual wielding. Its good not only because +1 CA and +1d8, its good because you can use more types of weapons-> raises up the posibility of a magic item.

Polearm master is not only optimal but totally overpowered, because you can use it with a quartterstaff, the duelist style and a shield.
>>
>>50972744
Stat pieces of it.
>>
>>50976799
Note this spell would almost completely prevent ennemies from using magic missiles
>>
File: Corn.jpg (113KB, 1000x1507px) Image search: [Google]
Corn.jpg
113KB, 1000x1507px
Stats for corn?
>>
>>50977007
Because he got attached to the rest of the party. And because adventuring keeps paying the bills.

You can make it that simple. Anything else, really, goes back to: what's the party about?

And that question can only be answered by the party collectively. That's what Session Zero is about.
>>
>>50977130
The other anon was being petulant with "martial arts = being able to be into combat" because that's what means martial arts aka arts of Mars, so for him every class ever knows martil arts. I just told him that only works on seetings with the actual god Mars, for everything else martial arts is only a thing Monks do.
>>
File: 1478945273138.jpg (179KB, 806x878px) Image search: [Google]
1478945273138.jpg
179KB, 806x878px
What happens if you have a concentration spell up and you cast Wish to replicate the effect of another concentration spell ?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>50977211
http://www.worldofcorn.com/#/
surprisingly high quality website
>>
>>50972809
Not knowing how to spell his name just reinforces the fact you're a frothing at the mouth autist whose "arguments" are proven to be shitstirring for the sake of it.
Actually read and learn the rules, go into the system with a different mindset.

Stop being a turbolard piece of shit.
>>
>>50977211
AC 15
HP 32 (5d8 + 10)
Speed 30 feet

Str 10 (0) Dex 17 (+3) Con 14 (+2)
Int 11 (0) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 8 (-1)

Saves. Dexterity +5, Intelligence +2
Skills. Investigation +2, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +5
Senses. darkvision 60ft, passive Perception 11
Languages. Common, Sylvan
>>
I know it's 99% all about the player, but what is the best mind delving, most role play enabling class combination you came up with or cross?

I know bards, paladins and clerics get a lot of eyes, s do barbarians, for simplicity...
>>
>>50977211

Straight 9's.
>>
>>50977211

As a food item, corn is fairly energy efficient. It provides calories enough for you to do high caliber work without neglecting the fibrous needs your digestive system requires. It has both sweetness and savoriness. I'd say -1/2 day food and -1/6 day water for each ear of corn eaten.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
>>50977282
>even corn has darkvision
>5e confirmed
>>
>>50977292
Moon Druid.
You are free to spend feat on Keen Mind or Actor.
You are free to put ability score on all mental stats.
You are free to conjure 2 Dryad and charm everyone.
>>
>>50977253
I'd say it's related. We can all guess what your Wish is.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'd lose concentration on the first spell. You're casting another spell with concentration, even if you're doing it in a weird way.
>>
>>50972776
What's your actual rebuttal?
I know it's easy for you to just shit on the keyboard and then smash your face into it hoping the outcome is a coherent post, but what would a non-retard write in your place?
>>
>>50977292

Champion Fighter.

I mean what the fuck else are you going to do?
>>
File: 1470984097151-fit.gif (1MB, 295x255px) Image search: [Google]
1470984097151-fit.gif
1MB, 295x255px
>>50977282
Favorite part
>Investigation +2
>>
Why are the retreating rules bad?
>>
Here's the real question: Is Champion Fighter's additional crit chance worth how FUCKING BORING it looks?

Can I make it work if I role play MY FUCKING ASS OFF and make the most fun character I possibly could?
>>
Can anyone think of some really dumb, inane pranks to play on PC's? So far I've got the staples; bucket falling on head, banana peel, skipping on horseshit, but I need more for maximum PC rage.
>>
>>50977282
Stats for popping corn.
>>
>>50977376

Yes you fucking can, anon.

Knock it out of the fucking park.
>>
>>50977393

I have self esteem issues man! I played the six int literally retarded barbarian well, my group LOVED it. My group has said on three separate occasions now that they miss literally-retarded-barbarian, but I really don't know! It was an easy role! I dunno if I can role play the most boring man in existence!
>>
>>50977376
5e is all about that roleplaying, mate.
>>
>>50976073
>They still going with immortal being a fighter's subclass
I wish Crawford and Mearls die of Aids's cancer
>>
>>50976050

1) Warlock. Definitely warlock.
Failing that, they'd be fine at bard or sorcerer.

2) Multiclassing is better for some classes, worse for others, naturally.
Rogue, Barbarian, Sorcerer and Warlock tend to do better when multiclassed, to be honest. They work fine as non-multiclassed but they tend to gain a unique, powerful gimmick from multiclassing that makes them worth it.
Definitely, absolutely not a must.

3) Moon druid. Far, far too much health by turning into a fucking bear.

4) Your DM is probably going to get some rules wrong. Yes, the game is simplified, yet even then nobody gets all the rules right. Even the lead developer of 5e doesn't get all the rules right. Only crawford does because he's the final word on all the rulings.
>>
>>50977341

You'd think that, but my weaboo Champion half orc guy is the second worse rp'er at my table.

I say second, because at least he plays that negative Int with commitment.
>>
>>50977417

I can't do it man. I've roleplayed the completely normal guy paladin who grittily goes along with the super powered party and is, in the end, the one who ends the threat of elemental evil. I've roleplayed the racist elf who thinks all humans look the same (saying this line to an Asian chick). I've role played the clown in the Underdark who brings a little joy in the face of demon invasion. But boring? The most boring person in existence? I think it's beyond me. I can't do it.
>>
>>50977416

The most boring ma\n? PAH. All being a champion means is that you have no rules tying you down to how you should be. You could be ANYTHING.
>>
Is there a way to make haunts into traps in 5e?
PF had some pretty good ideas about them.
>>
>>50977462

At the very least, you play a whiny baby very well. Consider that as a starting point.
>>
>>50977376
Define your character by your DYNAMIC ACTIONS. Don't just rush in and start slashing; grapple, shove, tackle, flip tables, swing from the rafters, knock down chandeliers, drop boulders. Fight with hit-and-run tactics to force enemies to chase you, then switch to a bow when they stop chasing.

That's what I did in 4e, and I was playing a warlord. It was hella suboptimal but I loved it.
>>
>>50977292

Face classes are always the main thing for that because it gives you strength in talking scenarios, but other than that Clerics are strong because they give you an instant hook into the world through your faith.

As far as thinking, try a wizard. You'll never feel like you're out of character no matter how smart you play.
>>
>>50975773
>doesn't even want to ruin the world or murder people
Gargauthin confirmed. I see you, devil worshipper.
>>
>>50977292
Moon druid.

Never forget the little girl who decided to become an octopus so they could hold their breath in for hours.
>>
>>50977462
Do everything dynamically. Dynamic entries, taking cover, talking and all that.
>>
>>50977497

Man, that's what I do on NON-champions. What am I supposed to do when I have non-mechanical backup? It can't be done. It just can't!

>>50977473

I dunno man. One of my prouder moments is when there was an ogre climbing up the tower I was in. I was, like, a level two barbarian. I leapt at the ogre through a hole in the wall, and the DM asked me if I wanted to just stab it and jump back, or stab it and follow through fifty feet to the ground. SO I STABBED IT AND FELL FIFTY FEET, STABBING THAT MOTHER FUCKER AS HARD AS I COULD!

>>50977485

Nah man, I did the fabulous pretty boy character in another game. Shame it was OotA AL adventures. He got stricken by madness and realized that society was a lie. Now he walks around without pants. Humorous, sure, but once he gets greater restored, he's going to commit suicide.
>>
>>50977583
>Man, that's what I do on NON-champions.
So it's basically the same, except you're landing critical hits two or three times as often.
>>
>>50977583

Okay now you're just bragging and you clearly can roleplay. No more replies to you, make your damn Champion and go away.
>>
>>50977420
no they aren't the Sohei is a different thing the order of immortal is still happening.
>>
File: 1460820751632.jpg (34KB, 461x439px) Image search: [Google]
1460820751632.jpg
34KB, 461x439px
>>50977583
Take my fucking (You) and stop shitting up this thread already.
>>
File: d4y4r2a.jpg (223KB, 900x945px) Image search: [Google]
d4y4r2a.jpg
223KB, 900x945px
>>50977631

No man, I really can't do it. I am fucking autistic as shit. I NEED mechanical backup!

>>50977614

My dice hate me man. I've rolled, like, six 19's in the past two years. I can't do it man, I really can't. It hurts so much!

>>50977645

Do you think this is a mother fucking game?!
>>
Does having a negative dex modifier reduce the AC of heavy armor, and is Alchemist's tools wisdom or intelligence?
>>
So. Anyone watched Mushishi?

I might like a game set in that world.
>>
Someone from /pfg/ is going to try and post our OP with Furry Weeb Shit as the image. Keep an eye on the new thread.
>>
>>50977734

Nope, and dunno.
>>
>>50977734
Heavy armor is unaffected by AC. There's a flat number, that's what your AC is when you're wearing it.

Tool proficiencies are context-dependent, not linked to a particular ability score. I'd wager they're usually Intelligence, but an argument for Wisdom could be made.
>>
>>50977802
I mean unaffected by Dexterity.
>>
>>50977802

Intelligence for results, Wisdom for how fucked up things get as you reach the point of getting said results.
>>
>>50977756
Saw the first episode.

It doesn't seem such a bad idea, though it looked a little lower-magic than 5e.

>>50977734
Alchemist's tools is whatever the DM says it is. Could be dex for fine handiwork, could be intellect if it requires actually having knowledge.
Honestly the only reason medicine is wisdom is probably for awareness of things like if the bleeding person is alive or where they're hurt or that sort of thing.

Also, negative dex modifier doesn't reduce heavy armour AC but if your DM is a dick they might have you not wear heavy armour at night and then you get to enjoy having less AC than a fucking peasant.
>>
>>50977734
>Heavy armor doesn't let you add your Dexterity modifier to your Armor Class, but it also doesn't penalize you if your Dexterity modifier is negative.
PHB, p.145.
>>
>>50977642
>Sohei is a different thing
I didnt' even mention Sohei
>the order of immortal is still happening.
Yeah, as a fighter subclass like they already said last year
>>
File: Psionics.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Psionics.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50976189
Its not really that many when they're archtype specific.
>>
File: dndasian.png (41KB, 612x312px) Image search: [Google]
dndasian.png
41KB, 612x312px
>>50976073
what could it be>?
>>
>>50977844
I've always thought Medecine is Wisdom because it's a "cleric skill". Which makes no real sense. Am I stupid, or is WotC ?
>>
>>50977885
the sohei is the psionic sub class
>>
>>50977931
By that, you could probably say religion should be wisdom.

So, if it's either you or WotC, why not both?
>>
>>50977931

Literally millenia before medicine was a science, there were medicine men and women that used their intuitive knowledge to field health issues. It's not a coincidence.
>>
>>50977923
Nonononononogodfucknononoshitnono.

I swear to gucking god if they release a new setting it had better not have new races. You know why? Because Kitsune is the last Shit we need on here. 5eg will NOT turn into pfg, we can't let that happen. Also, like I said here:
>>50977760
>>
>1 lb of food per day
>1 gallon of water per day
So, is there any balanced meal to make this actually work by calories or is it just hardtack, bacon, and trail mix?
>>
>>50977940
Again, I didn't mention the sohei or whatever the hell it's, you keep quoting me and mentioning that thing like I said anything about it which I didn't, that's called a strawman.

Also read>>50976073
>one fighter subclass (sohei)
Not psionic subclass like you said
>>
>>50977966

but any of that would be based on via study, not "life experience" or whatever.
>>
>>50977923
He said what the story was after this. He wants to add more eastern-flavored options that DMs can use to make their setting more or less exotic. That's the long and short of it.
>>
>>50977974
Creating kitsunes is not what ruined pfg, fucking weebs is what ruined kitsunes, quite different.
>>
>>50977931
>An lntelligence check comes into play when you need to draw on logic, education, memory, or deductive reasoning.
>A Wisdom check might reflect an effort to read body language, understand someone's feelings, notice things about the environment, or care for an injured person.

It could have been either, but on a context with no formal medical education I would also put medicine under Wisdom.
>>
>>50978019

Have you ever worked skilled trade? You don't learn how to fit pipes, how to weld, how to hammer nails or how to do any of the other thousand things that unkilled labor does by reading a book or studying. You learn it by doing. Medicine was a learn-by-doing trade for the vast majority of human history.
>>
>>50978035
Yes, but Kitsune are Weeb bait. We don't need that here. Feudal Japan setting with actual historical influences for 5e though? Yes please.
>>
>>50978050

how is that not studying it? just because you're seeing it done instead of reading about it? you're still learning via instruction.
>>
>>50978050
And we should also have in mind that medicine isn't brain surgery, but, RAW, only stablizing the dying and diagnosing an illness.
>>
>>50977974
As long as It's not fetishshit, what's the issue?
>>
>>50978092
>okay, all this blood... i think I have to stop it...
>his stomach hurts... maybe it's the strange plant he ate for lunch?
>she isn't breathing... maybe I should take this blob form her throat?
>>
>>50977844

I guess you're right, but I like the idea of there being specialist, magic-like illness and mystery causing things being around.
>>
>>50978103

Mostly what I said here: >>50978055
Japanese history >>>>>>>> Weeb Shit.
>>
>>50972526
Aren't most fiends immune to fire?
>>
N E W T H R E A D

>>50978349

>>50978349

>>50978349
>>
>>50972348
Being important has never meant the same as being good.
>>
>>50977923

IT'S BACK BABY
>>
>>50978622
How do you figure?
>>
>>50977083
Top kek. I'm actually full skelly mode, 5'11" 148 lbs.

Severely autistic? Maybe. But that doesn't mean I'm not right.
>>
>>50977279
Not that anon, but how about you go into life with a different mindset? Having only that argument to go on for context, I have to conclude the other anon is right because he's the only one who even TRIED TO PRESENT AN ARGUMENT.

Shit, I thought I liked 5e too, but oh well. FUCK MIKE MEASIOWOFWEKS
>>
>>50978655
Yeah, it's not like the Tome of Five Swords was explicitly orient-themed. If anything their was more of an arabian nights vibe when they tried to go exotic.
>>
>>50979366
>Arabian Nights vibe
Is there any of that outside of the Desert Wind discipline though?
>>
>>50977193
They culd just split up who they target, you only have one reaction.
>>
>>50974087
>Any enemies killed by the explosion also explode.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.