[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sci-fi horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: event-horizon-original.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
event-horizon-original.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
What's the best system to use if you want to run a "you wake up from cryogenic sleep in a seemingly abandoned space station" horror setting?
>>
Not a setting I've heard of, but GURPS would handle pretty well. It's granular, has lots of crunchy and extensive rules for stuff like injuries and improvised weapons and semi-hard space travel.
>>
>>50969657
Traveller I guess.

Although the best horror games I've heard of had no actual system, just relied on an excellent GM and lots of passing notes
>>
>>50969657
Stars Without Number is a good one.
>>
>>50969670
wouldn't you want less crunch for horror?

its all storytelling, immersion and suspense. Having to roll lots of dice and worry about lots of stats, equipment and rules would take you out of the immersion.

All you need is good storytelling and players who are willing to let themselves be immersed. Quick easy systems probably suit this better, or no system at all, the GM just calling what happens, or getting people to roll dice and calling the result.
>>
>>50969657
Eclipse Phase is breddy good but it has a setting attached to it that's pretty intricate and divisive.
>>
>>50969691
I'm not talking about fiddly crunch, I'm talking about broad crunch giving you more options.

Means that you've got a full suite of rules in place for the action of grabbing a shard of glass and stabbing the cosmic horror in the eye until it stops moving while it takes a chunk out of your leg and then the subsequent act of bandaging the gaping wound and preventing infection.
>>
>>50969670

I'm actually looking for something light on the rules.

>>50969672
>>50969689
>>50969694
>>50969834

Will check these out. Thanks. I remember reading up on Eclipse Phase but I hear it's rather on the crunchy side.

That said, if there is really no way to present a sci-fi horror with light rules, I won't mind looking into these.
>>
>>50969792
In Dread that would likely be:
One pull for the fight:
- Succeed and you kill the horror
- Knock over the tower and it kills you
- Refuse to pull and you run away

One pull for the injury it inflicts while dying:
- Succeed and you properly treat the wound, removing the bit of the horror that got stuck in the wound.
- Fail and you make it fatally worse. Probably by bursting the piece of the horror, releasing a very nasty toxin into your blood
- Refuse to pull and you are left with a messed up leg which is going to hinder you for a while.

>>50969858
Dread is very rules light. If players come up against something that the GM says is tricky, then they get to take a block from the Jenga tower:
- Knocking over the tower removes the character from the game. Usually by death, but insanity is an option.
- Successfully placing the block on top means you succeed.
- Refusing to attempt a pull is always an option. But it usually comes with negative consequences.
>>
>>50969792
Isn't horror all about having no options? being isolated in a snow storm with no weapons against some unspeakable beast?

You have to use purely your ingenuity to survive.

a good GM can easily resolve stabbing and wounding without a complex set of rules.
>>
>>50969858
From the limited reading I've done, Eclipse Phase excels in this type of genre. Especially considering what types of characters your PC's roll up, lotsa opportunities to tailor the storyline/type of horror to their personal backstories.
>>
>>50969657
Obligatory AFMBE with the right splatbook post.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.