[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you add any festivals or holidays to your settings for flavor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 1479181081770.jpg (273KB, 1357x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1479181081770.jpg
273KB, 1357x1920px
Do you add any festivals or holidays to your settings for flavor?
>>
Why didn't you post this in /wbg/?
>>
I've tried before but it always seems to get lost before I get any good reply's, which might mean this is just a shit question.
>>
>>50965926
To answer your question, yes, but a lot of them have some kind of relation to the idea of death, because the world sucks.

More importantly, I'm glad you used the pic you did for this thread, because you just introduced me to a whole bunch of art in this style that I had no idea existed.
>>
The current Lovecraftian far-future scifi setting I am working on has several societies where I want to play with the idea of the cult human sacrifice in a far-future setting.

So most societies have genetically engineered sacrificial victims, bred specifically for screaming the loudest and bleeding the hardest - produced by the billions for the yearly variant of Christmas. (The message got a bit distorted over the course of billions of years.)
Everyone acts really nonchalant about it.

Except one society that abhors it. On the surface, they appear like our current society that hates human sacrifice.
It is just smoke and mirrors so when the government gives the cops a signal. The cops abduct people from their home, people scouted and selected to suffer the most from the sacrifice.

A different society that is more cyberpunk inspired just has a yearly mechanism that uses sudden appearances of large quantities of weapons and socio-economic triggers to cause sudden Judge Dredd-like block wars/Purge-like lawlessness, huge massive gangwars fought over immense amounts of terrain in the poorer areas in the megacity/arcology.
>>
>>50965926

World's End Festival

Bssically New Years. When the sun sets on the final day of the year, the world "ends" and the attention of the gods to keep the next year coming has to be gained by partying.
>>
File: Spice and Wolf Season Two 27.jpg (52KB, 644x444px) Image search: [Google]
Spice and Wolf Season Two 27.jpg
52KB, 644x444px
>>50965926

Of course i do OP. Festivals were awfully important through human history and i think fantasy worlds shouldn't be a lot different in that regard.

I tend to build on "classics". Maybe they're uninspired, but understandable. The most important festival is the of winter solstice. People wait for "resurrection" of the sun after it disappears for a whole five days (yeah weird cosmology). It's basically New Year's Eve. People also celebrate "First Flowering" and the sowing/seeding festival on the spring equinox a month later. Of course there is also a harvest festival.

Different cultures of course have a lot of holidays exclusive to them. Dwarves for example have a festival when they open new casks of aged ale (yeah pretty much Oktoberfest). etc.

Farm people always lived by the calendar, making annual festivities really important to them.
>>
>>50969064
Duh i should always proofread twice.
>>
File: pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (1MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
1MB, 2550x3300px
My and my friends bastardized Christmas into Weebaxmas after the standard Trickster God of the campaign world. People give gifts to prove how wealthy and great they are and everyone indulges in stupid amounts of food, which lasts until Boxingday...

Which is when Orcs kick the shit out of each other from sunup til sundown
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.