[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Point Buy based fantasy RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1463687260530.jpg (1MB, 1250x1826px) Image search: [Google]
1463687260530.jpg
1MB, 1250x1826px
I'm looking for something that would help me do that. If possible, I'd like to see something that would help me do High Power settings.

I'm already familiar with Anima, Mutant and Mastermind, Gurps and Hero.
>>
>>50955836
Eoris Essence.
>>
>>50955836
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
godbound
>>
>>50955836
What don't your existing systems provide?
I've been thinking about using Basicd20 myself. It's a broad OGL d20 hack that uses Mutants & Mastermind's powerpoint system and direct (instead of derived) Ability bonuses.

http://www.easydamus.com/BasicD20.pdf
http://www.easydamus.com/CustomCharacters.html

I had surprisingly enjoyed Pathfinder when I actually played it (surprisingly in that I didn't think I would at all), but it still has a lot of the level and class based problems that I have with 3.5, so I kind of want to go back to it and try this. Being able to buy Class Features as Feats--and buy Feats whenever--seems like it could be good at getting rid of some of that feat tax bullshit. As well as the health inflation.
>>
>>50955836
> I'm already familiar with Anima, Mutant and Mastermind, Gurps and Hero.
What else do you need then? M&M 3e even got DnD conversion on GitP forums, IIRC.

Dungeon Fantasy should be we well-known too.
>>
Risus with the funky dice option.
http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus-funkydice.htm
>>
>>50955836
OVA, but that isn't really point-buy, though it is trait-based as if it was. The mechanics itself are universal. It'd be able to do high-powered fantasy very naturally.

There's True20, which is essentially proto-Mutants & Masterminds, but again it's not really 'point-buy'. You pick a background (which also serves as race) and a broad character type (Warrior, Expert, Adept) which gives you a powerful core ability and sets how many skills you can focus on, as well as deciding what sorts of Feats you can access and then you build your character our of these feats. Things that might normally be class features--favored enemy, sneak attack, smite--are picked as feats. Adepts can forgo a feat selection and instead select a Power, which can be considered spells, psychic powers, arcane technology, or whatever makes sense for the character and setting.
High power is as simple as describing things differently and using the "Heroic Archetypes" system (pic related). *Maybe* also start with 5 feats at first level instead of 4.

And then there's Basic d20 like >>50957987 mentions, which cannibalizes True20 and M&M's core design conceits while being immediately compatible with the d20 System.
It has a smattering of fuzzy, unclear bits that could cause problems and it's presentation isn't great, but is an interesting toolkit system.
This said: I would actually recommend it more for things other than fantasy. It'd be great for, say, Mass Effect.
>>
>>50958615
>This said: I would actually recommend it more for things other than fantasy. It'd be great for, say, Mass Effect.
Tell me more? Like I said, I've been wanting to run it, but haven't yet. Even as interesting as it might be, it's still going to involve a lot of fudging on the part of the GM (which would be me), and I'm lazy. Is that just more of a guess, or have you used it before? What makes you say it would be good for Mass Effect (which, I mean, it seems like you could use Star Wars and refluff force powers as Biotics)
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.