[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if you didn't have to roll to hit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

So bear with me. When rolling to hit was originally concepted, it wasn't actually about accuracy. It was assumed that the soldiers you were playing were capable of swinging a sword and hitting someone with it, but whether or not that they could make that hit count was in question. Thus your roll was based of strength, and armor made it harder. Rather than add an entire accuracy system on top of that, accuracy effecting things were applied to that same roll.

So what if there was a system that just got rid of these concepts and let people hit, and focused more on modifying damage based on how people chose to fight.

For instance, players (and NPCs) assume a stance in combat (Defensive, Active, Agreesive, etc) and based on what stance the attacker and defender were in.

A further mechanic would be learning fighting styles that grant bonuses (likely based on what stance they were in).

Thoughts?
>>
>>50954289
Sounds fine, I know of a few board games and vidya that do things that way.

My own personal favorites for that sort of thing are the ones where you're counting successes (or damage symbols) on the damage dice and it's possible to roll 0 damage, though that should be pretty unlikely past the first few levels.

Maybe also toss in something about different die sizes. Something like, if you do damage on 5+, d6s are easy to come by, d8s aren't too tough to get but it's hard to make them numerous, and anything bigger is quite rare other that maybe 1 from wielding big weapons.

Either way, you'd most likely want some sort of damage reduction to be pretty easy to get.
>>
>>50954413
Eh, that starts sounding like Ironclaw Omnibus. Though, the zero damage roll is *intentionally* useful in that. Check, check, check on counting successes, rolling "0" damage with effects, graduating die sizes, big weapon advantage/disadvantage, damage reduction, etc.
>>
>>50954289
you are basically copying the Mayhar homebrew systems. check Bazar du grenier aventures on youtube.
it works great
>>
File: Bruno.jpg (163KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bruno.jpg
163KB, 1024x768px
>>50954289
Bear with you.
>>
>>50955398
I'm no French, and have no idea what they're doing.
>>
>>50955499
Don't worry, they're French. They don't know either
>>
>>50954289
But then how do you represent missing and dodging?
>>
>>50954289
Rolling to hit is just a penalty on your damage output per round. You can remove the hit chances and scale up things' HP appropriately and keep the game functionally the same.
>>
>>50954289
What's the timescale of a round, a minute? 6 seconds?
>>
>>50955613
Dex checks like some sort of reverse grapple check?
>>
>>50954413
>>50954289
How about a die size for stances?

Imagine you've got 3 spaces in the character sheet: Attack - Defense - Action.

Attack is your damage die, and it is further enhanced by your weapon die and other modifiers.

Defense is you defense die, enhanced by armor die and other modifiers. It works as damage reduction.

Action is the die for any non-combat actions, such as movement or casting spells.

So each stance combination would have a name, but usually you would just use "change stance" action at the start of a turn to shift the dice around.

Then of course fighting styles etc that would give bonuses if you have the highest die committed to a certain style.

So imagine you start with d8, d6 and d4. Then when you get to level X you get d10, d8 and d6. Then d12, d10, d8 etc.
>>
>>50955998
So you could have a "Sentinel" who gets bonuses to defense while their defense die is the highest committed one, and "Berserker" who gets bonuses when the Attack one is, or "Swashbuckler" who could get an extra action in a turn if they have Action committed and so forth.

The system could work so that Action die is committed at base, because you aren't thinking about your offense while strolling in the woods. So during surprise rounds, characters wouldn't have their guards up and thus take more damage, for example.
>>
>>50955658
Probably, I don't think it really has much effect on the system.

>>50955613
>>50955723
I was thinking along the lines of giving some fighting styles bonuses for defensive stances.

>>50956014
>top part
Exactly

>bottom part
I was thinking that Unaware would be a stance or condition or something.
>>
>>50956820
>Probably, I don't think it really has much effect on the system.
It's got a pretty astonishing impact on how much abstraction you can "comfortably" get away with.
>>
>>50954289
4e actually did that, more or less--a lot of abilities had on-miss effects which were limited versions of the full effect. Not unlike 'save for half damage' effects, but more universal.
>>
>>50955402

That is the grammatically correct way of saying that.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.