[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song of Swords: Revengeance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 43

File: Kiev Flail Guy.jpg (135KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
Kiev Flail Guy.jpg
135KB, 900x599px
Last time on Song of Swords:
Feliz Navidad, Art, and a conversation about Halo conversions

This time on Song of Swords:
Do the AVs in Ballad work for melee weapons too, or would they require adjustment to bring them in line with SoS?

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
https://mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wik

Happy New Years, guys.
>>
Are peasants equipped with poleflails and poleslings still a best?
>>
>>50952503
Both are still real fucking good, but Pole Flails aren't a universal god weapon.
>>
Jimmy Rome is a fag
>>
Jimmy Rome sucks cocks in hell
>>
Jimmy Rome, Happy New Year to you
>>
>>50952557
>>50952559
If you keep flattering him like this, he'll never finish the game. You need to insult him.

Jimmy Rome is a Protestant who likes women, and those women are all adults who are older than him.
>>
Jimmy Rome is antifa(g)
>>
>>50952588
Jimmy Rome is a fan of Hannibal Barca.
>>
What's your favorite thing about the Song of Swords system, anons?
>>
>>50953294
that it's coming soon
>>
>>50953294
The character creation, assuming it gets polished instead of broken.
>>
>>50953294
How much combat actually matters. It's fun to play, but it's also dramatic and tense, and makes even small skirmishes really matter.
>>
>>50953582
Is it possible to do anything other than MAYBE 2v2 without it being a tremendous pain in the ass that takes a week?
>>
>>50953856
Yeah. Just use the new updated initiative rules. Large groups are now fairly easy.
>>
>>50953294
The spectacle of these threads and the development process.
>>
>>50953294
How characters feel just a bit more real than a lot of RPGs I've played.
>>
>>50953294
The obvious answer is the combat. I think the best part of that though is how much of a difference the specific weapon you're using makes on your tactics. No other game comes even close to the Riddle-family in that regard, and SoS is the most extreme of the subgenre.
>>
>>50953294
I love the historical opportunities. I can stat up all sorts of historical soldiers accurately and fight with them realistically
>>
>>50952588
Jimmy Rome is a protestant
>>
>>50952989
>antifa(g)
He's in the Westboro Baptist Church?
>>
>>50952365
Are there any new home brew published or in works?
>>
>>50952365
Maybe we should add the Discord to the OP?
>>
>>50958236
Or he's a member of Antifa. Hard to tell which is worse.
>>
File: 1483167729091.jpg (185KB, 533x533px) Image search: [Google]
1483167729091.jpg
185KB, 533x533px
>>50953294
The combat. Selling people on the game by describing combats is really easy.
>>
>>50961287
>48 seconds
>>
Here's to another year of strong coffee and stabbings in the dick.

BOOK WHEN, JIMMY!?
>>
>>50962203
Soon.

Speaking of coffee, where's mancer?
>>
>>50953294
The fatality of the system forces your players into roleplaying, often without realising it.
>>
>>50962949
Yeah it me.
I just didnt wanna namefag when I wasnt drawing.
>>
>>50960330
So people can hear "Soon" in real time? here's the link from last thread: https://discord.gg/h3HFwVx
>>
>>50963785
Discord is just another sekrit club. I come here for content on 4chan you queers.
>>
File: local donkey.png (510KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
local donkey.png
510KB, 1280x720px
Hear ye hear ye
>>
>>50965314
Well, it's a sekrit club that you can join, so there's that.
>>
File: Dacians Want SoS Kickstarter.jpg (69KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Dacians Want SoS Kickstarter.jpg
69KB, 620x349px
Happy New Years, ya bastards. Here's to Soon.
>>
>>50965314
I heard they worship the Devil in there.
>>
>>50952588
Jimmy Rome is the worst kind of roman. A barbarian loving bottom bitch. Trust only in Me! Johnny Cartage.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxnmaVTlZA

For old time's sake, you rat fuck bastards.
>>
>>50966208
Bobby Carthage is our true lord and savior, you fucking hack fraud.
>>
File: 79661690.jpg (547KB, 475x500px) Image search: [Google]
79661690.jpg
547KB, 475x500px
>tfw you will never duel Jimmy with a partisan
>>
File: cheers.jpg (196KB, 704x1180px) Image search: [Google]
cheers.jpg
196KB, 704x1180px
>>50966220
>>50966220
It's been a wild ride. I look forward to Soon becoming Now, yet I do.
>>
>>50966102
Reee fuck off cunt
>>
How should I stat a Dendra Panopoly?
>>
File: 1.jpg (92KB, 607x971px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
92KB, 607x971px
>>50966220
>>
>>50967343
This thread over at my armoury has a good discussion of the Dendra Panoply, with pictures and feedback from a reconstruction that is fairly close to the original. The reconstruction weighed 25kg all together along with the helmet and while somewhat bulky was functional enough to allow foot combat without too much trouble. The original is a bit lighter but this might not reflect how heavy it was when it was used.

https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8942&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Within Song of swords, the panoply can be broken down into several pieces of bronze plate. The helmet found with the armour was a boar's tusk lamellar conical helm.

Lamellar Pot hem; possibly knock a pip of AV off but keep the hard quality as boar's tusk is quite tough, especially compared to leather.

Gorget: Weight increased to 2 since it lacks any support and jumps around as you move.
Breatplate/backplate
Faulds: Bottom of ribcage to mid-thighs.
Pauldrons: Shoulder, half coverage for upper arm?
Vambraces: Forearm
Greaves: Shins, knee

It doesn't seem that the Mycenaean's wore much in the way of arming garments, beyond a basic lining that is included in the armour's base stats. The one exception seems to be the greaves which could be worn over quited linen leggings.
>>
File: smilingaventail.jpg (65KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
smilingaventail.jpg
65KB, 600x800px
>>50963785
>so people can hear "Soon" in real time?
So far that and reeeing about Mass Effect
>>
File: GnHXruF.jpg (872KB, 1800x1010px) Image search: [Google]
GnHXruF.jpg
872KB, 1800x1010px
>Abhuman fucking shits
How do we stat the Diskos in SoS?
>>
>>50969873
Circular saw on a pole. Deals lots of damage, high AP, can't hook, M range, ATN7. Not a good weapon, desu.
>>
>>50969435
I wish there was a base option for Greaves that covered the knee as well. And for greaves that aren't plate.
>>
VERY
SOON
>>
>>50970078
To be fair there are between maille chausses, laminar leg armour and various textile leggings most non-plate leg defenses are covered to some extent.

However while the weapons list is fairly expansive and covers most (though not quite all) items you could hope for in a variety of settings, the armour list is much more focused on late medieval/renaissance Europe and environs.

Which is understandable but does mean you have to homebrew some equipment outside this remit. One solution is to break things down by time period and region with equipment packs in order to get comprehensive coverage of all the options (such as knee-covering greaves that don't need a poleyn in a Greek setting) available while keeping things manageable.
>>
So any of you are up for a fight?
>>
>>50974239
It's a sorry day when this doesn't gather interest.
Then again, it's a holiday.
>>
>>50973215
What are some glaringly missing armors? Most I can think of are earlier armor types like lininthorax.

How should different materials be handled? The current material rules suck. Should things like bronze plate have the same AV but higher weight, or have a lower inherent AV?
>>
>>50975366
I will try again later. Prepare your character sheets if you guys are interested in senseless bloodletting.
>>
ddddd
>>
>>50969873
>the night land

MA
FUCKIN
NIGGA
>>
>>50976039
Isn't that what the Metal Glades are rippe-inspired by?
>>
>>50975544
22 or 26 PCP?
Murderhobo or Sensible Starting Character?
>>
>>50976546
I like 22 while learning, but 20 once someone knows the system. Higher pcp values should be reserved for games where you know players will balance themselves or if you want them to be superheroes from the getgo.
>>
>>50976475
Possibly, but not 100%. Jimmy has said he likes the story.
>>
>>50973215
I think the armor system works pretty well right now so long as you are creative. What I would like though is some stuff to balance out light armors like talents that give you cp for wearing light armor or bonuses similar to light noble but more restrictive to light noble. Like the party reduction bonus, but with a hard cap to armor wt allowed.
>>
>>50969625
Those scales look like they come off of steamer baskets.
>>
>>50976637
I'm talking about you wanting to fight today, I don't think I've got any 20 PCP characters lying around.
>>
>>50976680
I really don't like things like that. As crazy as this sounds, balance isn't really a factor in armor. With very few exceptions, you're going to be wearing the heaviest armor you can afford. Light speedsters are a gamey thing that doesn't really fit what SoS is going for. Those few exceptions are covered by the rules for keeping armor on for a long time. If anything, those penalties just need to be made harsher for extended wearing. I'd also like a time table for how long it takes to put on or take off armor, so that people aren't just traveling in their heaviest armor and so it's clear what you can or cannot put on in case of an emergency.
>>
File: 1455488483939.jpg (48KB, 649x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1455488483939.jpg
48KB, 649x1000px
As someone who would like to get into Song of Swords, but finds the character creation system(specifically the equipment and proficiency section) somewhat daunting, how would one go about learning about the game? Or even finding a group to play with?
>>
Could a kind anon help me make a character for Riddle of Steel? I've never played before. My concept is a skald, leaning on the warrior side with an ax and shield.

I have no magic, race/culture of one trait and one flaw, under gifts I have one minor gift and one minor flaw, 7/7 in skills, 11 (max 7 in one) proficiencies, and 47 in attributes.
>>
>>50977210
Badger one of the oldfags into tutoring you in the R20 room.
Recruit or be recruited for games in the thread here.
Once you have acquired proficiency, teach your IRL friends and spread the infection.
>>
>>50977210
It's only daunting because a drunk idiot wrote the book. Once you have it down, it's pretty simple. The best way to go about it is having someone teach you character creation and run you through a sample fight. Once that's done, you'll have a pretty good understanding of everything.

I'd help you out, but I have a tooth to get drilled early tomorrow morning. Once you do learn, however. Shill. Shill like a motherfucker. Reach down into the depths of your soul and shill harder than a snake oil salesman during the Great Depression. Recruit your friends, teach them, and watch them teach others.
>>
>>50977265
Sounds like a plan. Got a link to the roll20?
>>
>>50977324
https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/346755/song-of-swords-fecht-room
>>
>>50977324
It's in the OP. Just go and lurk until you can badger someone to help you.
>>
>>50977324
>niggers didn't put it in the OP
Well, someone will need to put up the join room link.
>>
>>50977433
Thank you very much.
>>
>>50977433
And now it's not letting me join. Sonuvabitch.
>>
>>50977433
Well that didn't work.

>>50977437
>>50977494

Does this one work?
https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/346755
>>
>>50977517
No, says my session to join the game has expired.
>>
>>50977265
>The best way to learn swordsmanship is though a mentor
>Second best way is old texts (fechts in the archives)
>SoS now models learning to fight in a meta sense as well

This was Jimmy's plan all along.
>>
>>50977553
Hmm, maybe
https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/346755

>>50977264
Never played Riddle, sorry.
>>
>>50977599
Still saying I'm not authorized. I'm surprised this group doesn't have a discord or something.
>>
>>50977658
We just got one, actually

https://discord.gg/h3HFwVx
>>
>>50977686
Well, that solves part of the problem I suppose. Just joined it.
>>
>>50977709
And finally here it is.

https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
>>
>>50977709
Since they aren't in the OP, here you go.

Character Creation
http://paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Proficiency Schools
http://paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Diego Fecht
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/40517213/#40520726

Viking Fecht
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/31689583/#31694813
>>
>>50976475
That and a desire to have Alien in your fantasy setting.
>>
>>50976475
>tfw the hideous subhuman abominations the Burdinadin are looking at from their redoubts are just humans
>>
>>50980245
And Lendians!
>>
>>50977264
What are your priorities? A for attributes, B for Profs, C for Skills, D for gifts?

You didn't list your social class and have 2 more Proficiencies than B priority allows (9 Profs). You don't need to worry about race/culture. Base setting for TRoS is notoriously bad and most people roll with whatever homebrew or alternative history settings they have,
>>
>>50976546
22 PCP
>>
>>50976637
>mfw always getting 18 PCP
Being a peasant is suffering
>>
>>50976680
No. No, this is stupid and bad and wrong.
>>
>>50976680
Let me refer you to the Leather Armor section for Opaques views on light armor.
"Leather wasn't generally worn as armor. While leather clothing was common enough, and plenty of
warriors wore gloves, jerkins and so forth, it wasn't really expected to protect the wearer from swords or
spears. Rawhide, or thick leather like that used in buffcoats, however, could definitely thwart a swordblow,
and for a time, leather coats were issued to infantry and cavalrymen alike to wear as armor. This
suit takes it a bit further, it's just a full suit of leather. It weighs virtually nothing, isn’t that expensive, and
it provides comprehensive, if minimal, protection to the whole body. Helmet not included, but why would
you bother? Just buy a hat."
>>
Everyone always says combat in Song of Swords is fast and lethal, but every goddamn time I run a practice fecht, it lasts for three hours for one combat, because everyone is wearing armor out the whazoo, and it takes forever for people to actually do the fighty bits.

How do you guys do it as fast as you claim? The mental math
>Okay so I've got 6 Strength, and 2 AP Swing, and +2b, and wait are you wearing Hard armor on that location? Okay yeah you'll check it - okay so yeah it's Hard so that's 10 damage before BS and with 2 BS that's uh, 12 damage, okay so 12 damage to your Face, and you have how much DR?
>Uh I got layer 1 on my face, and uh I've got 8 TOU, so with my uh, okay I have 15 DR on my face
>Great, fucking nothing happens then, amazing. How much CP do you have left?
>Uh I dunno, didn't you write it down for me?
>Yeah I did but you targeted my Lower Arms so you got one back and then there's a bunch of other mods here like +2, what's that from?
>Flourishing Drills?
>Okay yeah but your Swing got canceled so what, do you keep the +2?
>I dunno, I'd look it up in the rulebook but the rulebook's like the fucking Voynich manuscript
you have to do alone slows the game down to a crawl,

Also, what reason is there to ever go anything but Red? Flee is useful, Total Block requires a shield though, but I can kinda see Blue sometimes (very, very rarely), but why ever go Yellow? Like, unless you actively want to give up the Initiative for Disarm or other all-in maneuvers that aren't actually any good, what's the friggin' point?
>>
>>50983025
>Everyone always says combat in Song of Swords is fast and lethal, but every goddamn time I run a practice fecht
Jimmy shouldn't have bumped Armor Value and Damage of weapons. It was a pretty dumb move.
>>
>>50983025
Unless you are very confident that you can win the red/red initiative test, going Red is dangerous as hell.
>>
>>50983398
>going Red is dangerous as hell
It is not and it's one of the flaws in TRoS in its successors. While Red dangerous, trying to defend against all-in attack and take the initiative is hardly better. Chances to do that are low and most of the time you just soften the blow. Next round situation repeats, attacker has the initiative and you must defend. In Red-Red you at least threaten the opponent.
>>
>>50983398
Simultaneous maneuvers sorta laugh at that notion, though.

Yeah they're not ALWAYS optimal, but they often are

Red/Red isn't the only viable option, but it's the choice in like, 80% of scenarios I've seen
>>
>>50983433
Steal Initiative is more likely to succeed than the Red/Red initiative roll, though. You can add dice to your regular initiative total, and the only counter an opponent has is that they can do it back--an ability they give up if they go All-In.

Generally speaking I'd say this is a medium-hard counter to the all in strategy as it is. TROS had several much stronger counters to the strategy than this, like Evasive Attack. The all-in all the time meta is just a phase players go through, you will realize as time goes on that it isn't the end-all be-all of the system at all.
>>
>>50983567
>Steal Initiative is more likely to succeed than the Red/Red initiative roll, though
True but technically it's the same thing, attack counters attack. It's still better option than defense and weak riposte afterwards given how high AV negates this pitiful attempt.
>like Evasive Attack
Evasive Attack was broken, just saying, it was one of the best maneuvers available.
>>
>>50983592
The point is that throwing Red and going all in is dangerous because a Yellow followed by a Steal Initiative counters it hard. Cautious engagements are less likely to be countered that hard, but they're also less effective at killing outright. Slower and more methodical engagement strategies lack these instant counters.
>>
>>50983638
>Slower and more methodical engagement strategies lack these instant counters.
Question is if they are much more successful in the end. Difference between 50% and 55% wins is mininal.
>>
>>50983664
Probably dependent on stats and equipment. That means that the player has to decide for himself based on what he can see what the best strategy to employ is. That's a good thing.
>>
>>50983638
I never said Red all-in, Red all-in is retarded, that's the other Anon's claim.
I said Red in general is good because it doesn't actually force you to go all-in on an attack when you can just use a simultaneous move.

Although I'm curious, what makes you say all-in is countered by Cautious?
If you want to Steal Initiative like that, you end up spending your opponent's PER as an additional cost, and the only way to make it better than a regular Red/Red is by paying 3 CP per die, which is an absurd amount of CP being spent to do what is essentially just hope that you get back the advantage (Initiative) you gave away for free, no?
Is it because the Red all-in is declared before you say "Hah, fuck you dude, I'm going to Steal Initiative"? Because the counter to that could just as well be going Red and not going all-in. If you have to declare first because you fail the ADR roll, big whoop, you don't get to say "Gotcha!" if he's not retarded and doesn't go all-in, but he'd have to be retarded to go all-in even if you didn't declare first, so how is Yellow better than Red here? Just because you get to conceal the fact that you wanna "Gotcha!"?
The situation seems contrived, so I must be missing something, which I hope you'd care to elucidate for me.
>>
>>50983708
>>50983638
Note: If you're not arguing against the merits of Red, just arguing against all-in, I apologize, because all your arguments I agree with in that regard
>>
File: commparty_medium.png (186KB, 455x307px) Image search: [Google]
commparty_medium.png
186KB, 455x307px
>>50983717
>>50983708
Better Red than dead, right guys?
>>
>>50983708
Red has its uses, but the All-In strategy and its weaknesses are the focus of this conversation. If All-In is easily countered then it no longer matters too much what orientations people declare, because the act of committing everything to one attack is suicidal in virtually all contexts. Combats return to the measured exchange of blows they were meant to be unless someone decides that he's willing to risk instant death for a decisive result.

And there's nothing wrong with decisive results but that isn't how people tend to fight in reality, and I imagine that players with long-lasting characters won't act that way either.
>>
>>50983782
Red is still the most viable option even if not going all in. I believe that was the point that started this conversation, not all-in attacks.
>>
>>50983793
I am not sure how true that is either. The advantages of having the initiative are circumstantial. Some builds might rely on bleeding their opponent of CP through Reach or low-TN defensive options. It would take a great deal of number crunching to actually prove one option to be the best in aggregate.
>>
>>50983866
>If All-In is easily countered then it no longer matters too much what orientations people declare, because the act of committing everything to one attack is suicidal in virtually all contexts.

What? This is a complete non sequitur.

>And there's nothing wrong with decisive results but that isn't how people tend to fight in reality
>[Citation needed]

>>50983866
You can just use a Simultaneous Attack/Defense, which has the dual benefit of allowing you to, if you have Masterstrike, to add your BS from the defense to the attack, meaning you don't really have to dedicate much to the attack at all.

"It's hard to prove something which depends on game theory definitively" is not an argument, it's facile, especially given that it's not even certain what's being optimized for. Killing someone? An aggregate number for "This wins the bout" is really gratuitous for the purpose of discussing balance
>>
>>50982590
I was mainly referring to the abundance of plate wearers I would see in campaigns as opposed to chain or (super rare) anima and lamellar. Generally, if you can bear the extra weight, then there is no reason to not up your armor at the moment. There is no restriction to mobility or dexterity at the moment as far as I can tell.
>>
>>50985444
>There is no restriction to mobility or dexterity at the moment as far as I can tell.
As intended
>>
>>50983025
Have your math done beforehand. You should know your base damage with each weapon before BSs because that will never change, and it's easy to know things like whether or not armor is hard because the deciding factor is just whether or not it's made out of metal. CP needs to be tracked by a running tally or, ideal situation, a physical pool of dice you draw from during your turn that's sitting in front of you. If you know your shit and just know the rules that you built your character for, then you should be resolving each round in a minute or less. That's the speed I manage in my group, and we use text to play. If armor is a problem, bring a weapon that deals with armor. Things go quickly once you have a grip on what your character's specific numbers are, and that just comes with time. Getting to that point can be an issue, but it comes.
>>
>>50985444
What you're talking about is proof that everything is working as intended. If plate armor is available in the setting and time period, you can afford it, and you're able to carry it, you should wear it. That's why it exists, and the downsides are minimal.
>>
>>50985444
The cost and availability of plate should by no mean be consistent.
>>
>>50986627
This is one thing. I do wish that the difficulty of getting good plate would be reflected in some way. Having to order it or getting it fitted is an important part of the process. It's probably too setting dependent to try and cover in the rule book, but I'd like it to be at least mentioned. People look at RPG equipment lists like you can just walk into any store and buy everything on the list and so everything needs to be balanced against each other, when that's very clearly not the case here.
>>
>>50986706
Well, you can just start the game with suit of plate
>>
>>50986906
I feel that GMs should set Social Class requirements for certain items in their charter or a least for well fitted ones.
>>
>>50986906
That's a not insignificant chunk of change. Without spending Boons, you need Freeman at least to afford it. It could due to be maybe a little bit more expensive, or have something like what >>50986955 says, but it's not totally unreasonable since that armor does cost as much as a farm.

A lot of games have rarity rules that determine what you can and can't find in a given settlement of any size. That would be good information for any setting source books.
>>
>>50986955
The cost itself is a social class restriction.
>>
>>50985444
And that's how it very fucking damn well should be, because anything else would be hella unrealistic
>>
>>50983515
And everyone that says that is bad at the game
>>
>>50983025
Obviously you do all math beforehand that you can, writing it on your sheet. Strength + weapon damage is one of those, TOU + AV is another. You know there exist modifiers like AP, Power Attack, and Layer so write down those additions to your values too. You'll end up with a few 'statlines' of situations in combat. The only math you have to do on-hit is adding your BS to the number you previously wrote in your sheet.

Take the same approach with the numerous dice-adding talents. They're mostly set up so if you trigger the condition on the previous Action, you get a bonus this Action. It's easy to make a table out of that: conditions on the left, bonus on the right, then just scan down every turn and see what applies. It'll be 2 or 3 lines at most, it will only take a second to check.

If you're doing tutorial fechts, make a character for them and do all this stuff on the sheet you give them. If you and a buddy are making characters on the fly to fecht with, tell them to follow this advice too.

Once you've knocked out the math hurdle you should find the thing that takes the greatest amount of time is looking up maneuvers and comparing them.
>>
>>50988851
This. Do your homework, prepare statlines for your equipment and maneuvers and everything will go smoothly.
>>
>>50983708
Here's something. If you red and simultaneous then they only have to simultaneous in return with one dice on the attack and provided you didn't use only 1 on the defense yourself you've lost the difference in dice. If they don't perhaps because of range differences then they are free to put the extra 2 dice for the activation cost of said maneuver into their defense and likely therefore defeat your attack.
>>
>>50983025
>Also, what reason is there to ever go anything but Red? Flee is useful, Total Block requires a shield though, but I can kinda see Blue sometimes (very, very rarely), but why ever go Yellow? Like, unless you actively want to give up the Initiative for Disarm or other all-in maneuvers that aren't actually any good, what's the friggin' point?
First, remember your outlook on this will be very different if you're playing with heavily armored characters (as I suspect you do) then if you played with historically realistic armor setups, since those often involve a lot of unarmored areas. Playing with less armor makes throwing red less enticing.
Yellow ensures you don't have a double hit situation. If you throw red and you lose the roll you're probably going to get hurt, so it's a big risk in general to throw red. Your best way to stay safe is a simultaneous maneuver, which either requires a shield or a significant dice investment out of your attack and into defense. In red/red, since you're declaring it without initiative, you have to announce how many dice are being put in the defense portion.
Yellow keeps up the threat of an attack. If you had thrown blue, your opponent can devote dice while comfortable in the knowledge that you cannot attack them on Action 1. In practical terms that means they don't have to hold back since there's no threat to an all-in unless they fail.
Furthermore, it's supposed to be that Yellow lets you use closing void and dart out, but that was never properly written in the rulebook. That means dodge monkeys like elves or master voids would want yellow to keep that option available.
Defensive Disarm is insanely overpowered.
>>
>>50983638
>The point is that throwing Red and going all in is dangerous because a Yellow followed by a Steal Initiative counters it hard.
How so?
>>
>>50983782
Orientation still matters in that it is a declaration of wether you want initiative or not. It's "I want it now at any cost", "I might be willing to have it", and " Oh god no". There are still plenty of ways to initiative hobo that you can safetly all in against anything but shield+blue. Also i suggest holding enough dice to feint back incase of riposte
>>
>>50985444
Then attack them in the night. You can't wear plate armor while you are sleeping
>>
>>50989115
Ah but you've actually been tricking them and you quick draw your buckler into a full block and then stab them in their eyes. Respect the blue
>>
>>50989115
Defensive disarm is no longer in the pdf.
>>
File: Defensive Disarm.jpg (66KB, 1482x212px) Image search: [Google]
Defensive Disarm.jpg
66KB, 1482x212px
>>50989765
Yes it is. 1.9.9 on the right, 1.9.5 on the left.
>>
>>50989383
Does total block work with bucklers?
>>
>>50992235
All shields, as far as I know.
>>
File: I WILL CLUB YOU.jpg (288KB, 2040x940px) Image search: [Google]
I WILL CLUB YOU.jpg
288KB, 2040x940px
What is the statline for using a wheellock pistol as a club?
>>
>>50992235
Yes. Bucklers are a shield. It's intended to work with Bucklers. We confirmed that with Jimmy himself when total block was first made.
>>
>>50994590
Probably just a truncheon
>>
All this arguing over combat makes me want to play
>>
>>50994999
So it does to all of us, upside down Satan.
>>
I haven't checked into one of these threads in a few months, is there a magic system yet?
>>
>>50996039
Nope. Probably going to have to wait.
>>
>>50996039
Blood Magic and two magic systems in the Ballad book.
>>
>>50996039
There is kinda magic. We have Dark Pyromancy and blood magic. Void magic if you count Ballad
>>
>>50996039
There are a few experimental systems that have been handed out so far but nothing complete.
>>
>>50996152
>>50996149

I'll look into those. I'd like to use the system for some Conan-like setting, but want a little magic floating around.
>>
File: Zarrabizirik.jpg (49KB, 692x415px) Image search: [Google]
Zarrabizirik.jpg
49KB, 692x415px
>>50969873
Already done! Intended for release later in a dedicated Burdinadin expansion, but a sneak peek now.
The Zarrabizirik is the signature weapon of the Heroes of Glade Rite, one of the larger Iron Glades that occupies a deep valley in Southern Iber. The warriors from that Glade are known for their use of the terrifying spinning weapon, and for their highly territorial and xenophobic nature. They refuse all contact, even with other Burdinadin clans, and only rarely do any of them venture forth from the Glade, seemingly to explore or observe the outside world.

They are known to commit suicide before submitting to capture and to treat humans and even other Din with deep suspicion. If their adventurers are any indication they also produce an unusually large contingent of herculean warriors. Some of them have been befriended by outsiders, or even assimilated the outside world, but they are always very reluctant to speak of their homeland, their people, or their traditions.

They are not shy at all however of displaying their skill with the "Living Saw," the electrified cleaver of their people, powered by the very leylines of magic themselves.
>>
>>50996954
>Current X
You nigger that's literally what Shock is already
>>
>>50997049
Current will have more effects later involving electricity.
>>
>>50997049
>>50996954
Should it be Electrified like in the Burd Armory section and add Stun on parries as well?
>>
>>50997113
So because the word Shock was already used you had to come up with another electricity-themed keyword that does the exact same thing but has some special rules to it
You already have electricity special rules for B-dins in Electrified weaponry
Adding more keywords makes your game worse, not better
>>
>>50997143
We're changing Electrified to simply add the Current special rule.

>>50997192
It isn't going to do the same thing, that's just what it does right now. It'll actually cause electrical damage eventually, which will inflict Stun that way.
>>
>>50994625
That's quite optimistic I'd say
>>
>>50997467
Kickstarter when?

Dead Australian when?
>>
>>50996152
Alas, no coffeemancy
>>
File: island.jpg (1MB, 2323x2533px) Image search: [Google]
island.jpg
1MB, 2323x2533px
>>50952365
/sos/, what would be a reasonable Arloni garrison for an island around the size of 400 square kilometers? Or a proper Chironite invasion force?

For the significantly scaled down version, I have it at company vs company level, but that seems implausible for any drawn out military conflict.
>>
>>51000041
I don't think the German Heer launched one amphibious assault in the entirety of WWI and WWII. I have no idea what it would look like.
>>
>>51000129
Would the Invasion of Norway or the Invasion of Crete be at least a good place to start?

It's rather hard to work with the Fall Gelb as a basis if there happens to be no land border.
>>
>>51000265
>Invasion of Norway
Destroy their coastal defense vessels and have the ground forces surrender without a fight?
>>
>>51000041
What about the Channel Islands? From Wiki:
>Operation Grünpfeil (Green Arrows) a planned invasion of the islands with assault troops comprising two battalions

That was about 200 square kilometers, and they thought the Brits would defend them.

What's the situation on the island? What's its strategic significance? Level of fortification?
>>
>>51000129
>>51000477
Speaking of Channel Islands and German amphibious assaults: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_Raid
>>
>>51000041
Depends on how important it is. Could be a battalion, could be a division. The invader would want to be three times as large.
>>
>>51000477
For what I have written up:
"The island republic of Montmirail consists of a small archipelago a short ways off from the nation of Arlon. Established decades prior to the First War of Containment, Montmirai avoided conflict through a series of neutrality focused treaties with it's surrounding neighbors, although these became obsolete with Chiron's capitulation at the war's end.

The republic is largely in name only: The capital island is garrisoned by a company of the Arloni 1e RIMa, a squadron of fighters and a void reconnaissance aircraft. This is largely inadequate for defense, but the Republic's position in the Brennus Defensive Line and their neutral stance should leave them safe from war."
>>
>>51000041
>400 square kilometers
That's like 20 time the size of Iwo Jima, dude. You'd need multiple divisions to seriously defend such a position.
>>
What's the utility of total block? Do you gain initiative if you take no damage?
>>
>>51001792
Alright. How does a company sound for a 13x13km island?
>>
>>51000800
I thought that was the lowest ratio the attacker would need, if the defender was basically using slit trenches in a field. If I remember right it was 5:1 for something like urban stuff (I'm not sure about this one) and 10:1 for sieging actual carefull built fortifications and bunkers and the like.
>>
Awaken
>>
>>51003276
It's a small garrison but it'd serve to protect against commando raids and such.
>>
>>51006787
You mainly need to make sure people just don't walk up and take the damn place without a fight and without allowing reinforcements to arrive. Especially if it's a less important island in the line.
>>
>>51008780
If this Brennus Line is anything like that Atlantic Wall stuff they put on the Channel Islands, then a few platoons, each stationed at key installations should be able to cause most attackers some fits.
>>
>>51008780
Yeah, with heavy enough fortifications a small number of men can hold off a much larger host, the question is how far the enemy will go to reduce the defenses. Naval landing means Naval Guns.
>>
>>51010308
>Naval landing means Naval Guns.

Coastal artillery can be a hell of a drug...
>>
>>51010129
The Brennus Line is what I had envisioned as the Arloni equivalent of the Maginot Line. The actual, Arloni controlled parts of the archipelago are series of minefields, fortified islands and naval bases crewed by a small fleet.

Of course, the small shitty republic here is like an even shittier version of the lowlands, and the Marine Nationale is off suppressing a rebellion off in the colonies.
>>
>>51012033
>Maginot Line
So Chiron is just going to go under the islands via Underspace.
>>
>>51012946
We must seek allies among the Zells to repel them!
>>
>>51012946
They have Zell U-boats, I would imagine, as well and underspace mines and radar-guided depth charges. Can't transport many troops on a submarine anyway, I'd imagine.

Sounds like they just want to push into lightly defended Montmirail with a small enough force to avoid early detection and set up a beach head/breach of the Brennus Line.

>>50996954
What's the Panzer equivalent in Chiron? Do they have excellent land armored troops or they have lots of really small well armored voidships? Or is that more German expy than you want?
>>
So what's all this about flying cities and islands? I haven't checked in on /sosg/ in a while.
>>
>>51015034
SoS got an offshoot that deals with modern firearms and is set in a scifi/fantasy/dieselpunk world full of floating islands in space and whales that shoot lasers out of their heads.

It sounds ridiculous but the mechanics were so good that they're now retrofitting some of them for SoS.
>>
File: 1471443218443.png (98KB, 422x422px) Image search: [Google]
1471443218443.png
98KB, 422x422px
>>51015034
Do you like SoS, early 20th century guns, killing Nazis-in SPAAAACE?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, then Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laserwhales is for you.
>>
File: CotV 1.6.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
CotV 1.6.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51015709
>>51015034
>>
>>51015709
Wasn't there some ridiculous alternate German name for the laser whales?
>>
>>51015835
>Strahlenkanonenweltraumwal
Page 2
Also
>Imperator Astrocephalus
>>
File: 1477864110820.jpg (755KB, 1600x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1477864110820.jpg
755KB, 1600x1417px
>>51015709
>>
>>51014938
The Chironites' naval strategy revolves around the very large battleships called Leviathans and their subordinate battleships, and swarms of far smaller, cheaper cruisers with oversized cannons which can move at high speed, coordinate with each other to launch pulsing swarm attacks on larger vessels, and swiftly hunt down merchant shipping on their own. Unterweltboots (Submarines) are used for long-range hunting missions, and are built far larger than the original U-Boats were--though smaller models are still used for warfare in the Core Islands. The Kuschel class U-Boat carries a crew of 120, and has a 150mm cannon mounted on it, which is often used in lieu of torpedoes. These vessels more resemble small battleships that can dip into Underspace than true Unterwelt ships, but they've proven invaluable to the Chironic Navy.

Their land forces are more or less what you'd expect from Space Germans in WWII, albeit with more of an emphasis on light and medium tanks than on huge honking heavies.
>>
File: Sir William Goodenough.jpg (100KB, 622x800px) Image search: [Google]
Sir William Goodenough.jpg
100KB, 622x800px
>>51017234
So has Chiron built for straight up brawling with the CIS, or are they not entirely prepared?
>>
>>51018263
It's an awkward situation. The Chironic Navy is enormous enough that it's broken the CIS's rule of having a navy as strong as the next two most powerful navies combined, but it isn't actually as powerful as the CIS's. It's a close competitor for second place.

The difference is that Chiron is one small cluster of islands, whereas the Albish Empire (or the CIS, as they like to call themselves now) is enormous. Chiron's naval power is all concentrated in one place, and if war started they could probably maintain local superiority for several weeks before the Albish could gather enough ships from its provincial fleets to challenge them.

There is, however, a hidden advantage, and that is that the Albish Navy's High Command is considerably more adept than their Ximbri counterparts. Chiron's navy is divided into two portions, the Regular Navy and the Unterweltboot Program. The two groups do not communicate much and in fact despise each other.

This internal tension could cause the Chironic Navy to underperform in the event of a war, which is what the Albish leadership is counting on, and working towards through espionage.

The Chironites by contrast are betting on a very ambitious (and secret) plan: An amphibious assault on Albion through sheer massive fleet strength, to be launched within six days of the start of any war. They have built underwater staging areas for this operation. Underground training facilities invisible to spy-plane. Entire Divisions of volunteers have been "black boxed," placed in staging areas with zero communication with the outside world, awaiting orders to board their transports and advance.

This attack, called Operation: Leopard Seal, was actually guessed by Albish High Command, whose "Contingency Plan: Nonsense" is to have sten guns delivered with the morning newspapers to every house in the Capital.
>>
>>51018439
>Underwater
Meant to type Unterwelter there, but you get what I mean.
>>
>>51018439
>"Contingency Plan: Nonsense"
Not the worst plan ever.

>>51017234
>more of an emphasis on light and medium tanks than on huge honking heavies.
So, early war blitzkrieg Germans?
>>
>>51000370
Forgetting the vicious guerrilla and saboteur warfare there, buddy
>>
>>51019002
Wasn't that more during the Occupation, not the invasion?
>>
>>51015709
Wherever I go, I must eradicate communism.
>>
>>51018475
Is that what Underspace is called now?

>Overspace
>Space
>Unterwelter
>>
>>51019389
Dare you enter my wondrous GULAG?
>>
>>51017234
>>51018439
What is the Chironite policy on the provision of Zellsluts?
>>
Is there anything on how Fear works? Ctrl+F'ing the pdf didn't really give me anything substantial
>>
>>51023461
I'd guess penalties to initiative or CP at least, based on Intimidating Crest and the Intimidate skill.

>>51019389
There's plenty o' space commies to kill as well.
>>
>>51024734
Sweet. I assume lore for this new setting was released in the usual format - drops of precum spilling out of Jimmy's fevered, drunken, protestant brain?
>>
File: Jimmy_behavior.jpg (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy_behavior.jpg
117KB, 600x600px
>>51025113
>>
>>51021438
Opening lore suggested that their ship captains keep a Zell around to use as sonar.
>>
>>51025327
Cool. So what're the basics?
>>
So my buddies are asking me to run a D&D 4E megadungeon campaign. Which made me wonder what the hell a SoS megadungeon would even be like.

Can we make a Tomb of Horrors equivalent for SoS or CotV?
>>
>>51026365
Any D&D style dungeon in SoS would be an ultra-lethal killfest.
>>
File: 1483170046390.jpg (200KB, 1029x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1483170046390.jpg
200KB, 1029x1280px
>>51019389
It's a setting in which Space Hitler, Space Pinochet and Space Mussolini are all alive and well at the same time. Space Soviets didn't happen, so now the major commie power is the YiKong.
>>
>>51026675
That tells me effectively nothing about the setting.
>>
>>51026365
For CotV I'd look to Vietnam tunnel fighting for inspiration.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_rat. GRUNT (a vietnam rpg) has great details on period traps.

Nothing supernatural, or even that large. Just a set of partially flooded/collapsed tunnels filled to the brim with booby-traps and fanatics doing their best to murder you in pitch-black knife fights. The true horror is that what you throw at the players is a fraction of what real men faced within living memory.
>>
>>51026717
It means fascists are the new commies, but the old commies are still around if you want to give some maoists lead poisoning.
>>
>>51026902
I think he wants to actually know about the setting, not 1-line quips
>>
>>51026295
Floating islands going up to about the size of France at the high end, (was it France?).

Dieselpunk looks and themes, the big fuel however is whale oil that comes from the titular laser whales and fuels industry and void craft. You can travel on solar sails or manual screws but they're not as fast.

The islands orbit stars and float over the black goopy mess of double hell that submarines can go into. A bunch of awful shit like Star Krakens live there.

Tech is interbellum to late WWII depending on where you are and what you're asking about.

The gun monk guys from Equlibrium are here to because they're really cool.

I'll let someone else do the politics.
>>
>>51027127
>the black goopy mess of double hell

Wait what
>>
>>51026295
So the premise of the setting is that it's this eternal black void where islands float around a kilometer or so above "Underspace," also called the Unterwelt. Some of the islands are at different altitudes and they orbit around this big vortex in what people assume is the center of the world.

Underspace is a lightning and fire-filled hell filled with toxic particles called "Underspace Dust," which roils around sort of like a toxic ocean below civilization. Monsters live there, and it is generally inimical to human life. Zells seem to have little problem with it though.

Humans live on the islands, and have learned to build Voidships (flying boats) out of Whalebone and other materials so that they can travel between islands.

The central islands of the setting are basically Europe, with Germany (Chiron) France (Arlon) Austria (Weissen) Italy (Lucania) Britain (albion) and others all fairly close to each other. There are more distant islands like the Rahoo Chain (America) the Volgin Islands (Russian Steppe) and something resembling the far east (The Hinamoto are the Japanese, The Hive is China) and Australia. (Janszonia)

Two huge wars happened, the Wars of Chironic Containment, where Chiron basically got too big for its britches and the other powers had to bring them down. More or less WWI and WWII.
The problem is, the Chironites won the second war, and conquered most of their neighbors. The game is set shortly after that war, with Chiron now ruling a huge empire, and the remnants of the conquered peoples, their militaries and their governments-in-exile all scrambling for a way to reclaim their homelands from the merciless fascists. At the same time, the UC (United Culture) who created Chiron by accident while performing a social experiment, have created another abomination in the East--The Communist Hive, which is now fighting a bloody proxy-war with Chiron over the Volgin Islands.

That's all background though, the focus is the players.
>>
>>51027519
>the UC (United Culture)

Tell me more
>>
>>51027540
>The Unified Culture
>A nominally peaceful postscarcity
(except for Whalebood) society, the people of the UC live in
great vessels called Thoughtships which possess a sort of intelligence because of their unique
Whalebone construction. The Thoughtships require a constant supply of Whaleblood to sustain
the hedonistic, decadent lifestyles of their crews, and as such are constantly involved in
territorial skirmishes with the other States. To preemptively resolve these conflicts, a secret
service called Unpleasant Circumstances (UC, or UCUC) is employed to manipulate foreign
politics and try to bring about regimes favorable to the Unified Culture.

There's info on the cultures in the first few pages of the rulebook>>51015727
>>
>>51027540
They're a sort of post-scarcity super-advanced society who live in sentient ships and go around trying to seed social change in less advanced societies to help them develop into more progressive and rational cultures.

Chiron was one of these, but they snapped because some other jerks called the Tecnhocracy attacked a UC ship over Chiron and a bunch of their people died. They blamed the UC's dildo teachings for making them weak and complacent, and a bunch of radical reactionaries took over and turned the country into a militaristic empire, eventually hunting down and destroying the UC ship that had tried to uplift them. (This is a big deal, the UC can't make any more of their immortal superships.)

Despite that the UC is still around and trying to do their thing. They recruit young members from academies and colleges across known space to replace their people as they age and die. The UC people have almost nonexistent birthrates, so the crews of their ships are mostly first-generation recruits rather than hereditary members.

They're leaders in the realms of sociology, political science, psychology, etc. Their material sciences are also good, but they seem to focus on people more than production. Their chief interest is on making other societies more receptive to their ideas so that they can recruit from them more easily and progress the world around them.

They don't have a military, per-se, but they do have a sort of intelligence/paramilitary group called the UC Unusual Circumstances division (UCUC) who work behind the scenes to bring about UC-favorable results to political and military events.
>>
>>51027540
Okay so imagine the worst possible things about the left-leaning elements of Western University campuses. Okay good?
Now imagine they all live in a post-scarcity society on huge and unspeakably well-armed voidships.

That's the sound bite, in practice they're a sort of nomad state hilariously detached from the rest of the void that keeps sticking its intelligence agency Unified Culture Unpleasant Circumstances aka U.C.U.C. in everyone else's sovereign business to bring about regimes friendly to them so they can buy whale oil they only thing they’re actually short on on the cheap.

Every few years they’ll show up over your major cities and offer free citizenship to all your university students, they literally roll up and rob you of your best and brightest. They are banned from Chiron. I’m not even sure they have a birth-rate so this is they’re primary way of sustaining a population, the inhabitants of the thoughtships live lives of pure decadence.

They’re social scientists who think they know better than everyone else and the whole world is their lab. For me they are by far the easiest faction to hate.
>>
>>51027921
>>51027899
>>51027874
How many fucking whales are there for everyone to live off them?
>>
>>51028171
There's a shitload, also I think conventional fuel exists as well but for void ship engines you want the whale oil.
>>
>>51028207
Petroleum is rare and generally not used much. I think most things run off the Oil. It may produce more energy than gas somehow, so that you can produce a lot of fuel from a single whale. I doubt they're pouring it completely uncut into their gas tanks.
>>
>>51028171
Lots. They also use synthetic fuel sources for most things. the whale fuel is really only essential for running ships that have to defy gravity. Though dirigibles probably get around that, and they do use those too.

Whales are also no joke. The Laser Whales can shoot lasers that can cut ships in half. Presumably they hunt smaller ones most of the time.
>>
>>51028171
>>51028207
IT's not the actual fuel itself, but facilitates its production.

"Strahlenkanonenweltraumwal (LaserWhale)
Imperator Astrocephalus
The LaserWhale.
Spanning anywhere from 120 to 12,000 meters, these creatures drift through
open space, moving from star to star, feeding off of iceasteroids,
voidplankton,
and
occasionally consuming stars.
Inside their massive heads there is a liquid, called StarOil,
which can be used to purify
Moonstone into a form usable as fuel for Voidships (called Whaleblood) and for countless other
purposes. This oilreservoir
allows the LaserWhale
to survive in space by converting
moonstone into biological energy for itself, as well as giving it a potent defense against
predators in the form of the Strahlenkanone—the eponymous laser of the LaserWhale."
>>
>>51028286
Hmm...

I wonder if they make liquid filters from it then.
>>
>>51028286
It sounds like they melt down moonstones in it, and the product is whaleblood which they then use as fuel.
>>
>>51028266
>>51028286
>The Laser Whales can shoot lasers that can cut ships in half.
>occasionally consuming stars.

How the hell does anyone kill these things
>>
>>51028459
Harpoons.

These aren't your grandpappy's stars, they're not that huge.
>>
>So what do people make of the genosians, in this world without a sun?

They're seen as a weird fringe group who talk about a great light that used to exist. Or maybe one that will exist someday. It isn't clear.
Some of the theological concepts are shared between the Genosian and the Zellish religion, though, so there's enough general support for the idea that they couldn't just be ignored.
It's gotten around a fair bit, with a few sects taking off in various parts. The Rahoos of Holy Author, for example, are Genosian Puritans who were even kicked out of Genosian communities for being too uptight.
>>
>Also, regarding Cervant. Do they still control their Mexico (I forget what it is named) and their various parts of the Philippines or Africa if those exist?

The Empire of the Sun was never successfully conquered by the Cervanti, but much of Lower Rahoo was. None of it is officially Cervanti territory, but all of the former colonies still acknowledge the King of Cervanti as their legitimate monarch.

>Does not!Peru exist in Ballad?

All of them should. I was considering having Grand Columbia have actually succeeded in this timeline but I decided against it.

Space Chile has a name though. Precipio. Saved from the evils of communism by Field Marshal Diego Soltar.

>tell us about it

As for Precipicio, it was founded after the flipping of the continent by the Cervanti, some 700-ish years ago. The native population is believed to have been entirely exterminated by this apocalyptic event. Large numbers of slaves bought from the Albish (chiefly of Hybernian stock) were shipped in to work the land, but the bulk of the local stock are Cervantites. The government was fairly liberal leading up to CWI. However, after that war, a concerted push was made by several actors (mostly the UC) to spread Socialist and Antifascist sympathies across Lower Rahoo, to deny the Chironites allies in the future.

So the push hit Precipicio hard, and eventually a Yikong-influenced government arose in the country, which almost brought them to war with some of their Ximbri-friendly neighbors. One of the centerpieces of the policy here was to deny the export of strategic resources to any of the Central Powers, Chiron, Lucani, etc. Eventually Diego Soltar pulled a coup, executed most of the civilian government, and reopened trade with all parties.

So Precipicio isn't -explicitly- a fascist country or a member of that alliance, but they're willing to trade with anybody.
>>
>Tell me about this continent flip

When the Cervanti came to Lower Desotia, they found it filled with hostile natives who were fairly well entrenched. they also discovered that the continent was unstable because of internal activity.
Rather than deal with the natives, they flipped the largest island over, pouring its contents out onto the lower ones. This large continent contained most of the modern Lower Rahoo states. When it was flipped back over, 99.9% of the nativelife had been destroyed. Even much of the native civilization had simply fallen off of the island onto the lower ones, causing a great deal of destruction and death in the process.
One can still go down to the lowest of the islands and find native temples crushed by other native temples that fell out of the sky.
Chichen Itza probably landed on Maccu Piccu.

What's interesting here: The lowest islands still have native people.
And this has actually become a problem. Truly huge amounts of gold and jewels and other treasures have been dumped on the lowest islands, which are still populatedb y native peoples.
They are now phenomenally wealthy, controlling huge quantities of priceless artifacts, treasures and gold. Treaties prevent anyone from going in and colonizing them at this point, since those lower islands were sort of like a reservation for them to begin with.

>how did they flip the island, nigger

It had a lopsided center of buoyancy, essentially.

The whalebone that sustained the iusland was concentrated on one side. The Cervanti were able to apply pressure to the other side and flip it.

It actually could be done to other islands, but these days it couldn't be done in wartime.
Chiron itself could be flipped if you had six months and no interference in which to do it.

>I want a method, Jimmy

A lot of chains, pullies, and ships.

In this case, it also involved mining out the few bits of whalebone sustaining the island on that side.
>>
File: 1481440981983.jpg (34KB, 352x395px) Image search: [Google]
1481440981983.jpg
34KB, 352x395px
>>51028773
>>51029814
>>51030531
Nice try, fucker.
>>
Zells occupy the bottom of most islands. They usually have some arrangement with the people upstairs.

>>51031126
>2016
>being the current year
I need not justify myself to an imbecile.
>>
>>51028773
>>51029814
>>51030531
>>51031253

Look at this imposter guy. Trying to trick you with his fake lore. If it doesn't have my name on it, it isn't real.
>>
File: Liquid1I2.png (147KB, 470x437px) Image search: [Google]
Liquid1I2.png
147KB, 470x437px
>>51031443
BROTHER
>>
>>51031515
>>
>>51028773
>>51029814
>>51030531
Is this shit from the secret skype group?
>>
>>51032312
The not-so secret Discord.
>>
>>51032340
Stop being a faggot and post in the actual thread.
>>
>>51032312
I remember seeing most of this shit before in the threads, or most of the same ideas.
>>
>>51032371
You may notice that I have, in fact, posted in the thread.
>>
>>51032064
This is highly accurate.
>>
>>51032064
Shouldn't John Galt be in there somewhere?
>>
>>51033487
You're blind mate.
>>
>>51033800
Oh derp.
>>
>>51027921
U.C.U.C kinda sounds like "u cuck "
>>
>>51034297
It's almost as if the developer has a hardcore right wing political stance and doesn't like communist factions.

He apparently doesn't like capitalist factions either since Albion and Rahoo are shitholes, but that's beside the point.
>>
>>51034343
The factions are all cartoonishly dysfunctional, you just don't notice the fascists doing it because they're always depicted that way.
>>
>>51034585
When everyone in space is an asshole, the only solution is to become a space pirate.
>>
>>51034343
>if you write a faction in your fiction to be incompetent you must hate their ideology in real life
This is how dumb you are
>>
>>51035874
You obviously don't know Jimmy Rome. The man's favorite insult is commie. The only time I've ever seen him genuinely offended was when someone called him a communist, and this is a man who gets regularly called a pederast.
>>
File: 1482706775438.jpg (114KB, 1342x528px) Image search: [Google]
1482706775438.jpg
114KB, 1342x528px
>>51035917
I think he revs it up a bit for comedic effect, but he definitely doesn't like commies. Makes his slavophilia a bit funny.

One thing that is fascinating is that he shits on capitalism too, though. The Albish as being a more or less explicitly banker-owned oligarchy and the Rahoos as being living Ancap memes suggests that he isn't actually the naive lolbertarian he pretends to be.
>>
>>51036035
There's three options. He's retreated into himself and thinks that everyone is stupid and should be run on booze, he thinks the Pope should run the world because he's a good little Catholic, or the Ops and Tactics guy is right and we really are all Nazi Propogandists.
>>
>>51036057

I'd say all of the above, but Ratzinger is out of office.
>>
>>51036057
>The year is 2047
>America has descended into a totalitarian nightmare
>nock nock
>the right wing death squads are at the door
>want to take me away
>wait, I can prove that I'm a Nazi too!
>I have this Nazi propaganda lying around to prove it
>remember still no kickstarter
>get sent to the gas chambers

Thanks, Australia. I'm glad you got nuked in the Second Finno-Korean Hyper War of 2018.
>>
File: Damn commies.png (27KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
Damn commies.png
27KB, 275x184px
>>51034585
This

Also I'm pretty sure Jimmy is a republican, not a fascist. The reason he hates on commies is because commies are actually not that rare, unlike actual fascists.

Commies and fascists are different shit with the same taste.
>>
>>51036110
>Trolled form beyond the grave by the Eternal Aussie
Yeah cunt, that's the good stuff.
>>
>>51036057
>the Ops and Tactics guy is right and we really are all Nazi Propogandists.

Whut? When did I say that?
>>
File: Laser Whales.png (53KB, 1208x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Laser Whales.png
53KB, 1208x1123px
>>51036689
Not you, but someone presumably from your threads made a joke about it in an image macro. It might've been one of our guys who just happened to also like your game though.

Making jokes about the game being Nazi propaganda is sort of a running gag, so I doubt it was someone trying to be offensive.

How are you soulbro, I haven't checked out your game in a while. Have you ever seen Laser Whales?
>>
File: Ops_SoS_GURPS.png (1MB, 1948x578px) Image search: [Google]
Ops_SoS_GURPS.png
1MB, 1948x578px
>>51036689
Bants have been exchanged.
>>
File: 1472784521368.jpg (2MB, 1534x2247px) Image search: [Google]
1472784521368.jpg
2MB, 1534x2247px
>>51036725
That's a good one.

>>51036689
Hey man, I like your work.
>>
>>51036689
YOU!!!

Yer procedural weapon generation document has a problem. There's no table to generate how many barrels my shotgun has!
>>
>Song of Swords
>no one sings about swords

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51040995
Sometimes I Hum about Hwachas.
>>
>>51042881
I don't see any proof.
>>
>>51017234
>The Kuschel class U-Boat carries a crew of 120
>U-Boat class is literally called "cuddle"
2qt
>>
Do the larger islands have seas, lakes, rivers, with traditional water creatures in Ballad?
>>
>>51044013
Yes.
>>
>>51044013
Yes but the concepts of Oceans and Lobsters are bullshit made up by attention seeking Zells.
>>
>>51043139
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpOfIMZcFqs
Replace "minä" with "hwacha", and "yön viimeinen drinkki, aamiaiseksi vaihtuu, lisäsin siihen kahviaaaa" to "Yön viimeinen tappo, aamumurhaksi vaihtuu, lisäsin siihen ruutiaaaa".

Boom, instant ballad for hwacha longing for escaping enemies.
>>
>>51039720
Thank ya!

>>51040967
Hmn. I'll have to check that one out.

>>51037938
Exchanged and categorized.

>>51036725
>How are you soulbro, I haven't checked out your game in a while. Have you ever seen Laser Whales?

I'm good. Writting is slow, but it's in the works.

And No, I havne't.
>>
>I grow increasingly concerned about the problem of erosion, and materials loss through attrition and battle, of the islands into the void.
>Which makes me ask the question,
how did the islands form, and what sustains their biosphere?

Subspace dust has a significant content of assorted matter. As it frequently plumes up and impacts the bottom of islands, they actually tend to grow "longer" as time goes on, with sort of stalagtites forming on the bottoms.

Additionally the rainwater in the Void contains trace amounts of carbon, sort of like ash. Over time, it will cake up on structures and actually become a problem. Constant cleaning is necessary to prevent this.
The first islands were probably whale corpses that simply floated around accumulating enough dust and clay that they grew into islands. Eventually they would grow too large to float and would sink into underspace--but Laser Whales have a habit of dying near other dead laser whales--an instict of theirs perhaps--so dying whales would beach themselves on these little islands, and slowly become a part of them.

>So whales just beach themselves on islands?
>When they are about to die?

Yis.
Or sometimes for other reasons. This happens in our world too.
Whales just sometimes freak out and throw themselves onto beaches. Sometimes dozens of them do it at once.

>Wonder how saving operations go when dozen laser whales beach themselves around the garden gnomes in some suburb.

That would be a catastrophe. If you disturbed them they might just start lasering everything around them in their death throes.
>>
>>51047720
Post in the actual thread.
>>
>>51048011
He just did.
>>
>>51047720
> Whales just sometimes freak out and throw themselves onto beaches. Sometimes dozens of them do it at once.

I like to think it's the result of a cetacean Jonestown

Also post this shit to the wiki
>>
>>51048189
He's reposting shit from the Discord. Things that could, you know, be discussion in the threads.
>>
>>51048209
The subtle implication is that Jimmy gets B& frequently because he's a massive troll and can't always post.
>>
>>51048313
Then post the questions in the threads. If he can't reply, he'll reply in Discord. But Discussion is lost in favor of muh sekrit club.
>>
>>51048364
No discussion is lost. We're talking right now.
You can ask questions, right now.
Stop being a moralist faggot.
>>
>>51048206
>Also post this shit to the wiki
There isn't.
>>
>>51037938
kek
>>
File: 1442935966747.jpg (302KB, 721x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1442935966747.jpg
302KB, 721x1024px
>>51039720
What's this shit from? Fucking perfect. Does an even better job of unintentionally capturing the setting then my pic.
>>
>>51051431
That one's pretty good though. I think the other one is from a Japanese horror flick.
>>
File: 1478243000172.jpg (223KB, 1032x1496px) Image search: [Google]
1478243000172.jpg
223KB, 1032x1496px
>>51051431
No idea, maybe a character art thread?
>>
>>51039720
>>51051431
>>51051739
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iL6DGoRwA8

That would be correct.
>>
>>51027899
>>51027921
An important sidenote is that the whole thing is intended to be a less than flattering satire of Ian Banks' Culture series, which is also about a bunch of hedonistic jackoffs living in a post scarcity society on a bunch of sentient ships.
>>
>>51052404
Sweet.
>>
File: I am Completely Serious.png (63KB, 226x286px) Image search: [Google]
I am Completely Serious.png
63KB, 226x286px
>the legendary first emperor of Japan is named Jimmu
>>
>>51055468
Soon since Time Immemorial.
>>
File: 1452842179457.jpg (189KB, 750x997px) Image search: [Google]
1452842179457.jpg
189KB, 750x997px
>>
>>51057733
Is that an IG regiment?
>>
>>51052404
That looks hilariously terrible.
>>
>>50953294
>What's your favorite thing about the Song of Swords system, anons?

A playable version of what sword path glory

>sword path glory
>remove armor
>now, recalculate strength (left hand, right hand and body one)
>recalculate max speed
>recalculate acelleration
>recalculate damage bonus
>>
>>51057733
>Trooper Nedrick Kellian of the Aussian Penal Colony Bushwhacker Brigade.
>>
>>50953294
I like character creation. It's a bit clunky but you have a lot of power.
>>
Sneaking Suits were developed in the Rahoo corporate haven of Lejano, which was established on the three-way borders of the Hiramoto Dominion, Desotia, and the Empire of the Sun. The city is a Minarchist corporate paradise with virtually no restrictions or regulations except for one: All property is owned by the State, 20% of it is reserved for State-funded housing, and the rest is loaned out to businesses for their facilities and offices. The highest tax in the country is a 2% sales tax on babel tar, which was increased after much complaint from the 1% tax it used to share with Heroin.

The Sneaking Suits were produced jointly by Grigori & Sons, the Mercenary Company which acts as the city's private Police Force, the Albish Government, and four tailoring firms normally employed to produce high-end whalenerve suits. The first Sneaking Suit was hand made by the same seamstresses who had recently produced Autarch Kyton von Richtofen's dinner outfit, and cost six hundred thousand dollars.

It employs a number of innovative systems. Whalenerve fabric relies on electronic impulse to change color. An internal battery and a photoreceptor on the suit's back allows it to adjust its shade depending on the currently available light. The soles are muffled with rubber, and an innovative Hiramoto design, which articulates the large toe apart from the rest of the shoe, increases flexibility and sensitivity, allowing for better stealth. The weave of the whalenerve composition makes it bulletproof, and insert plates are used on some locations to increase resilience. Snapcoat is utilized, but not as armor--but rather as a support for the joints and limbs. A knob on the chest when manipulated can cause the joints to stiffen slightly, making it easier to spend long times in awkward positions, and allowing the wearer to "rest" against the suit itself to a degree.

This limited edition suit is far more expensive than the mass-production model available to most adventurers.
>>
>>51063169
Did you go and watch the american ninja or something?
>>
>>51063281
I watch American Ninja before I go to sleep every day.
No, I just felt like addressing the subject of sneaking suits. I'm going to try to post more stuff in the threads. The Discord thing is fun but there's no substitute for stuff being answered here.

Also we're increasing the cost of Sneaking Suits.
>>
File: 1479610849254.jpg (237KB, 1600x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1479610849254.jpg
237KB, 1600x1031px
>>51051918
>>
>>51064545
Sometimes it makes me sad that humans value practicality over fuck cool aesthetics.

What's the point in winning a war if you can't be fancy about it?
>>
File: LaTeXed-SoS.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
LaTeXed-SoS.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hey /sosg/, this is one of the LaTeXfag anons popping in to present what we've got so far.

Progamanon is likely busy with exams and such and thus I have been unable to contact him, and this PDF is therefore presented without his expressed permission or approval. All errors, omissions and shitposts within are faults of mine.

This is a very rough "alpha" and as such it will keep being updated a lot over the coming few weeks, but I felt it'd be a good idea to present a little bit of the progress that's been done, despite the holidays and exam pressures making work on the document pretty close to nothing until recently.

Updated versions along with source code can be found on https://github.com/progamanon/latexed-SOS

You can also help us out big time by leaving comments on https://pad.riseup.net/p/Song-of-Swords
It doesn't have to be technical, style preferences or questions as to what is possible or even just words of encouragement (or discouragement since I subsist entirely on a diet of self-loathing) are greatly appreciated and requested

You could also just ask questions here in the thread but I wanna feel like a sekrit klub kool kid
>>
The coolest German ship of WWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51FXgQOoppw

http://militaryhistorynow.com/2013/05/08/the-kaisers-pirate-ship-the-unbelievable-voyage-of-the-sms-emden/
>>
There is an Albish colony (or former colony) which bears mentioning, since one of the lads wants to do a storytime about a campaign he played.

That colony is Nova Silva. In terms of altitude, the the Nova Silvan Chain is the highest of all the Rahoo island chains, with one or two minor exceptions for individual islands. The Silvan Isles were too high to colonize by the primative means used in ancient times, and so the Silvan colonies were not formed until much later in history--which resulted in a more coherent sense of loyalty to the Albish homeland.

The country is cold, with dense woodlands that occasionally give way to rocky tundras, but it is a rich country nevertheless, with some of the largest bodies of water anywhere in the Void. Nova Silva is one of the few countries with a Wet Navy, because of the need to patrol its waterways.

The Silvan people are primarily rural, hunting, fishing and farming local tries for their valuable sap, but there are cultural and industrial centers in the country. One, Beaver Factory, has traditionally performed the finishing work for Holy Author, one of Desotia's industrial centers, for generations.

The Silvan people are relatively neutral in Void politics, except when it comes to the Albish. Their loyalty to the CIS is unshakable, and many thousands of their people served in both of the Containment Wars--even after other allies had abandoned the war effort. Famously, during the retreat to Chapelle du Nord, two entire brigades of the 2nd Silvan Division fought to the death to buy the Albish Expeditionary Force time to retreat. Though the effort was ultimately futile, it is commonly believed that the magnitude of their sacrifice (and the gruesomeness of the event) was part of the reason that the Ximbri generals at the Chapelle Massacre had lost their taste for butchery, and disobeyed the Black Flag order issued by High Command. Three statues commemorating the event have been built in various locations.
>>
>>51064830
Haven't gotten too far into it, but it's looking good so far.
>>
>>51064830
A lot of your tables are big raw text lists of stuff. Especially the more obscure equipment like throwing weapons and Burd stuff.
>>
>>51065477
Space Canada?
>>
>>51006035
That chick is honestly pretty fine. What's a Percheneg and does the Tattered Realm have a version of it?
>>
>>51068728
>Pecheneg
Dirty Marju horsefuckers.
>>
jimmy did you ever respond to my suggestions? i asked a few times but i dont remember you responding to them

please respond jimmy

https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49727001/#49785192

its been 3 months jimmy

come on

please?
>>
>>51034297
>>51034343
No. UCUC is just the whalepunk version of The Culture.
>>
>>51069284
I'm sorry if I never answered you. I did see them though. I agree that we should have support for people who want to make new races for their games, or use more classical-type ones. I also agree that we should update the SoS firearms system to be more in-line with Ballad's, because that system works really well.

As for magic, it's a good idea, but it's hard to see where we're going with that. I'll keep that in mind though, because I do like that sort of thing. The thing with our magic system is that a lot of the effects are weird, and difficult to quantiy as simply as "does X amount of damage over Y time," how does one make a spell like Black Sun using generic spell-creation rules? There lies the problem.

We'll see what happens. Maybe for Sorcery.

>>51069368
The UC is. The UCUC is the whalepunk version of the SC.
>>
>>51027899
How technologically advanced are the UC? Do they have caseless ammo guns and digital electronics? You'd think they would be ahead of other countries anyway if they brain drain other countries.

I think their birthrate is strangely low, especially if they recruit younger people. 0.2 TFR is too low, especially in a mostly post-scarcity society where people aren't taxed out of having many kids. The lowest TFR today is 1.1, so having the UC have 0.2 is pretty radical. If they are also mostly made up of recruited people, then their birthrate wouldn't plummet compared to their home country. That's why immigrants and even their descendants have higher birthrates.
>>
>>51070658
I suspect the ships themselves sterilize people. It's an alien plot to wipe out intelligent humans on a genetic level. Maybe Zellish.
>>
File: 1427518175036.png (155KB, 1462x995px) Image search: [Google]
1427518175036.png
155KB, 1462x995px
>>51064830
I don't like the font you use for numbers. It looks too squishy and it isn't immediately clear what numbers are what. A thicker font that doesn't have any fanciness to it would be better. Since you need to look up tables and find these numbers they should be in the most easily and immediately readable font.
Furthermore there should be a red box around the Dead options like there is in the standard book. That is a good visual improvement that is missing in your current Latex version.
>>
>>51070963
It's always Zells and their bullshit
>>
>>51070658
>Do they have caseless ammo guns and digital electronics?
Definitely not, that would be some bullshit
>>
>>51071466
A game with literal kraut space magic can't have kraut space magic?
>>
>>51063169
What would this sneaking suit look like? I'd like to make some drawings of it

I hope it's not like MGS suits, that'd be unoriginal
>>
File: table example.png (26KB, 643x233px) Image search: [Google]
table example.png
26KB, 643x233px
>>51067019
Fixed those two as well as the prosthetics chapter's tables, can't believe I forgot those since I made a mental note to fix them.
Also, it really helps me out if you can point out the specific areas, because I do my editing in LaTeX which means everything is plaintext and is then compiled to tables.
For example, the fatigue table looks like

\begin{table}[hb]
\centering
\caption{Fatigue Level}
\label{tab:Fatigue Level}
\begin{tabu} spread 0pt {X[-1,r]@{\ to\ }X[-1,l]X*{3}{X[-1,c]}}
\rowfont[c]{}\multicolumn{2}{l}{Fatigue Level} &Exhaustion Level &CP Penalty &Mobility Penalty &Skill Penalty\\\toprule
(0&5)\hfill~$+$~HLT&Fresh &0 &0 &0\\
(6&10)\hfill~$+$~HLT&Winded&-1 &-1 &-1\\
(11&15)\hfill~$+$~HLT&Tired &-2 &-2 &-2\\
(16&20)\hfill~$+$~HLT&Very Tired &-4 &-4 &-4\\
(21&25)\hfill~$+$~HLT&Exhausted &-6 &-6 &-6\\
\end{tabu}
\end{table}

and then compiles afterwards to pic related

It's a lot faster for me to find incorrectly formatted stuff when I know what area is formatted incorrectly.
>>
New Jimmy vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oFz5dViy2A

Contains:
Shitting on proto-Greeks
Sucking Roman Cock
Casually shitting on Persians
Sucking Roman Cock

So stuff everyone can get behind.
>>
>>>51073550
New thread
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.