[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I GM on Roll20? Anybody with experience feel like teaching me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: stocking.jpg (558KB, 1987x2515px) Image search: [Google]
stocking.jpg
558KB, 1987x2515px
How do I GM on Roll20? Anybody with experience feel like teaching me?
>>
Just watch the fucling tutorials on the wiki
>>
>>50950965
I generally learn better in person rather than with a machine/tutorial.
>>
>>50950808
There are a couple ways to go about it, but generally I prefer to have, say, Skype or Discord in the background. OOC chatter goes to voice, in-character roleplay and GMing is done via text.

Have a campaign setting map set up in one of your pages. Have a 'limbo' where you can store character tokens, information, and other such things for when you need them. If your party has a base of operations, have a map of that as well, potentially customisable.

Make sure you have a lot of varied grid-maps ready for the region that the party is currently in. They don't have to be complicated, coloured lines will work, but personally I use a program called Tiled to pre-create sprite grid maps that have an undeniable quaintness to them, but are very easy and quick to create. Ideally you'll be able to set up a balanced fight in under 5 minutes. Have pictures and artwork ready to show for NPCs and locations - The latter is extremely helpful to back-up a written description and can really help establish a 'feeling'.

None of this means a damn thing if you don't have good players, though. Don't use the LFG function of Roll20 unless you're just looking for one or two replacement players, you need to establish a core from existing friends. A full LFG group will crash and burn in 95% of cases and that's a lot of wasted effort.
>>
File: SHKD-702ps.jpg (12KB, 147x200px) Image search: [Google]
SHKD-702ps.jpg
12KB, 147x200px
>>50951066
You want random strangers from an anonymous image board to come over to your house to personally teach you how to GM on roll20 in person?!?

Gee, that's not asking much.
>>
>>50951464
That's not what I meant.
>>50951354
Thank you.
>>
File: GetBackToClass.jpg (13KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
GetBackToClass.jpg
13KB, 320x320px
>>50951598
Don't be fooled, music is incredibly important.

One of the best things about online roleplaying is that extra bit of immersion from appropriate tunes.

Don't bother with sound effects.
>>
I suppose my main questions are:

1.) Where can and where should I get materials from (Maps, grid-maps, etc).
2.) Should I decide setting and system myself, or should I consult the IRL players I'll be asking to join? If I decide them myself, any suggestions? Where would I get the setting and system-specific materials for your suggestion?
3.) Is there anything that I need to know about Roll20 mechanically?
>>
>>50951354
>using Voice and Text

Ah yes, nothing like awkward silence and the sound of grunting. You do one or the other, not both.
>>
>>50953113
Maybe you should find some friends to play with, anon. My group generally runs a call while playing and we just shoot the shit with each other while typing our responses.
>>
>>50953084
Go make a game in roll20 to fuck around with. There is a tab for GMs where you can search for keywords for images. Stuff like 'sand' or 'grass' or 'bricks' give you tiles to build your maps, and you can search basically anything to fill your maps with clutter like tables and rocks or NPCs.
The GM view let's you control what page/map your players can see at any given time, so you can have them sit on the last map they played, or what I do, make a thematic splash screen with some art you found. That way each week they see something to get them in the mindset of your adventure.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.