[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Naming unusual characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: steps_by_guweiz-da63263.jpg (401KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
steps_by_guweiz-da63263.jpg
401KB, 900x900px
How do you figure out a fitting name for a character that's part of a culture/language completely different from yours? I got pulled into a game set in the weeb era and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out a name that both sounds right with the clan name and has a meaning fitting my character's personality.

What do you guys do to figure out weird names? Name listing sites are fucking useless unless you're looking for something that means "happy rainbows" or "cherry blossoms"
>>
>>50949661
>Name listing sites are fucking useless unless you're looking for something that means "happy rainbows" or "cherry blossoms"

What else do you want? You can get a name that people use, or you could get a gibberish name from the top of your head. There aren't many options here.
>>
>>50949661
>Weapon/Item/Animal/Action related to personality
>Find translation for it in said character's culture's language
>add/remove letters as necessary
>>
google translate
>>
File: ZooPygmyHippo.jpg (80KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
ZooPygmyHippo.jpg
80KB, 350x262px
> What do you guys do to figure out weird names

Just do what ended up happening to American Indians - translate the name into the local language.

So the guy from the other culture ends up with a kinda-awkward-kinda-cool name like 'Endless Sleet' or 'Gathering Deer' or 'Born Under The Mountain', etc. Even though their 'real name' was something perfectly pronounceable like Honittip or something.

Then eventually they end up with a nickname cut out of the translation like 'Endless' or 'Gathering' or 'Mountain' whatever
>>
Weeb names are tricky because often the characters they are made of have individual meanings attributed to them which depends on how they are written.

Firstly, might want to ask the GM or the other players if there are any conventions they have or are using to give you something to draw from.

Otherwise the internet if rife with databases and translators, but instead of looking for existing names use a series of sounds and translate something interesting into another language.

You can always go full fantasy and assign a prefix or suffix, which could hint at some back story, some deed or event the character earned some manner of notoriety or fame.
>>
>>50949661
Just some advice if you are playing in a Japanese setting/Japan (I refuse to use the term weeb to describe anything Japanese). A lot of the time Japanese names are used as "blessings" of sorts that parents give their children, so that they will have good lives. A good example of this is one of the most popular Japanese names, "Haruto". Which can mean anything from "Tender Sound" to "Best Warmth", depending on what characters you want to use. Many have no relation with the actual person but just describe the kind of person or future said child's parents want them to have. Just be careful not to mix up girl's and guy's names. A good way to spot this is usually girl's names will have the -ko (meaning "child") suffix at the end. A great website that I use is the names section on jisho. Hope this helps.
>>
>>50949661
All my chars have a gimmick, their names are something related to that gimmick but in different languages to not make it obvious.
>>
>>50951904
>(I refuse to use the term weeb to describe anything Japanese)

M8 you're the better part of a decade too late for that fight
>>
>>50952635
It's still a fucking retarded thing to do.
>>
>>50952773
Not really?
It stopped meaning "wapanese" almost instantly and it's been like this for so long that being salty over it still is actually pretty embarrassing.
>>
>>50949661
Pick a word or phrase that pertains to my characters shtick. Translate it into another language that resembles the fantasy culture he/she grew up in. Use that as a base to build off of. Develop a name from there. The great thing is there are so many language translators for fantasy languages, tolkien elvish and dwarvish.
>>
>>50949661
>has a meaning fitting my character's personality
Parents don't know their child's personality when they name them, only their expectations of them.
>>
>>50952970
It's fucking autistic to refer to anything at all related to Japan/Japanese culture as "weeb". Why not just say Japanese at that point?
>>
File: chris headache.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
chris headache.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
Ugh, coming up with names is the absolute worst. Im trying to be a writer and Ill have entire story lines, plot twists and character maps thought out but once I got to actually right the damn thing I get stuck at a blank page because I don't know what anyone's fucking name is
>>
>>50952970
This isn't true.
>>
File: Ina-sw3-art.jpg (5MB, 2444x3508px) Image search: [Google]
Ina-sw3-art.jpg
5MB, 2444x3508px
>>50954065

Well the term weeb is basically more about the person being an autistic cunt who makes the entire anime fandom look bad.

Someone who just wants to study Japanese history wouldn't be one because, well history is goddamn interesting and Japan had a lot of crazy shit going on. It's exciting.

We actually had a bunch of "weaboos" in our school who thought they where being clever by starting a "Japanese History and Culture Study" club when they where refused and anime/video game club. (Because those are fucking stupid)

Well they where scene right through and the teacher got super involved and turned it into an actual Japanese History and Culture club and instead of watching anime like the idiots wanted too we actually studied the history and culture of the country.

It was fun.
>>
>>50955331
Which is exactly my point. A weeb is an autist who spergs out at the mention of anime and is a general normalfag about it. To refer to everything Japanese as "weeb" is just fucking retarted.
>>
>>50955529
You're the only one sperging out here my man
So basically the only person who still gets upset about weeaboo is... a weeb!

Embarrassing!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.