[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would a space opera setting based on Polynesian mythology go?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (688KB, 1920x1436px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
688KB, 1920x1436px
How would a space opera setting based on Polynesian mythology go?
>>
>>50946761
Travel far, kill shit, cannibalism.

Meet space Maori, die horribly.
>>
>>50946761
It would be shit

Like every other space opera.
>>
>>50946809
Except Gayniggers from Outer Space.
>>
Moana hasn't opened in my country yet so I have no idea
>>
>>50946761
Basically the two scariest Polynesian peoples, the Hawaiians and the Maori, would fight for dominance. King Kamehameha is basically Hawaiian Napoleon and would try to expand his empire, and the Maori would eat everyone.

Seriously though, the one Maori tribe traded for guns with the British Empire and proceeded to genocide 80% of population of Aotearoa so they could eat them and take their mana. The rest of the Maori population basically swore fealty to the British to get them to come in and end the conflict. The British couldn't even conquer them before the genocides because the Maori were just too vicious. The Hawaiians weren't much better in terms of cannibalism, but the Maori were a whole other beast.
>>
>>50947045
That's pretty damn badass!
>>
>>50947071
Yep. The modern day Maori assimilated very well into Western society. Polynesians are Caucasoid in heredity and physiology, so they share many similar tendencies in terms of warfare, and they top it off by just being crazy aggressive. The MAO-A and low activity MAO-A genes are ubiquitous in their populations, and those that preserved Mau Rakau, their martial art, can do things like split a bull's head down the middle with a stone club or smash right through a man's back with just brute strength and technique.

Lua, Hawaii's martial art, is nothing to scoff at either. Both fighting styles are super scary and turn crap that's just lying on the ground into terrifying weapons on top of bone-breaking grapples you expect to see monks pull off.

Hawaii's "doctors" were all martial artists and knew so much primitive medicine that they just hit you where it would kill/maim you the fastest. They had dojo-like organizations where they taught their disciples how to put a body back together and how to take it apart.

Mau Rakau was the art of intimidation and battlefield dominance. They had some modern practitioners of Mau Rakau go up against Shaolin Monks in Fight Science and the Maori utterly dominated the monks in terms of performance on almost every front, so much so that the monks felt like they had to show off just to not get beaten in the statistics. There's an episode of Fight Science that goes into detail the ways the two styles murder things. However, I would like you to be aware that there's some clear bias in favor of the monks by the researchers because they overly valued steel weapons despite the fact that the Maori's weapons murdered things faster /personalopinion.

The Polynesian people's main crops such as the banana and coconut couldn't grow on Aotearoa, so they turned to porking their way through the entire ecosystem and killing each other in ways that would make the Mesoamericans queasy and give Eli Roth the biggest hard on.
>>
>>50947268
>Polynesians are Caucasoid in heredity and physiology

...no they aren't! They're an Austronesian people! Their closest related peoples are the folk of Southeast Asia, Madagascar, and Taiwan! Their

Holy fucking shit, how retarded IS /pol/?
>>
>>50946761
Could be neat.
Inuit would be good too, they're basically adapted for the harsh life of space.
>>
>>50946761
Pretty stupid premise for it to be a space opera.

But a Polynesian setting in a FANTASY world could be cool.

I figure it would be based around sailing, diving, and underwater spear-fighting huge-ass sea monsters.
>>
>>50950220
P.S. And living in a tropical paradise, of course, when not on adventure
>>
>>50947268
>The modern day Maori assimilated very well into Western society
Well along with some weight and substance abuse issues.
>>
>>50949923
Caucasoid as a class in physical anthropology does not mean from Europe. Europoid is the subgroup of Caucasoid that refers to those from the European continent (plus Slavs). The umbrella of Caucasoid stretches well into the Indian subcontinent. There are many, many models for possible spread of the Polynesian peoples. There's an out-of-Taiwan model, a Southeast Asian emergence model, a South Asian (read: Indian subcontinent) model, and an early Indo-European model. The only ones I've seen with any modicum of evidence are the South Asian and Indo-European models which anthropologically are Caucasoid, but take that with a grain of salt because I studied physical anthropology of Polynesia about fifteen years ago. They've probably got some admixture of many different peoples in them, but not everything you hear that uses verbiage such as "Caucasoid" or "Mongoloid" is /pol/ for the same reason that referring to various haplogroups and haplotypes is /pol/. They're basically different words for identical concepts.
>>
>>50950383
>for the same reason that referring to various haplogroups and haplotypes is NOT /pol/
Typo fix
>>
>>50950383
>>50950434
That smells of the bullshit stormweenies are trying to pollute popsci with. [citation needed]
>>
>>50950745
>stormweenies
Hahahaha, its this guy.

Got kicked out of /pol/ too many times, so now you're coming to /tg/ to shitpost?

And even though I hate to engage you, I am curious to know, why is it you think that a /pol/lack would be trying to argue that pacific islanders and whites are the same race?
>>
File: iz.gif (53KB, 360x241px) Image search: [Google]
iz.gif
53KB, 360x241px
>>50947045
>Basically the two scariest Polynesian peoples, the Hawaiians and the Maori
I don't know shit about Hawaiian history, but present-day Hawaiians are about as scary as particularly fat rabbit.
>>
>>50950827
Not >>50950745 , but here's a possible explanation. Back in the 20s, there was a huge push to expand the Caucasoid umbrella to fit with closely related groups such as mediterranean peoples and Indo-European groups such as the Persians, various Indo-Paki peoples, and Polynesians. Largely this was to ease power transitions in the Pacific as the U.S. gained a bunch of territory, particularly from the Spanish-American War. The trend continued. It's actually very reminiscent of the big push today trying to tether as many races as possible closer to Africa than is reasonable both in terms of timeline and heredity. Both are probably balderdash, but it's easier to criticize newer hypotheses than foundational things that formed the basis of your education. Modern-day anthropology is filled with needlessly obfuscated jargon with the express intent of discussing ideas of race without being politically incorrect, but physical anthropologists still throw fits over where the division between the various modern day H. sapiens subgroups occurred. Some argue that we differentiated back in the days of H. heidelbergensis, and there's some sketchy evidence towards that and so much red tape that it'll never get properly examined in today's political climate. There's also a lot of interesting information coming out of the Human Genome Project that gets politically corrected in PR presentations because they don't want to get crucified.

Polynesians genetically are from the same stalk as Indo-Europeans at the very least to the best of my knowledge, but there's a lot of cock posturing over how much if at all they mixed with various east Asian groups. I personally am highly skeptical of attempts to connect them to the New Guinea and Australian Aborigine groups because of their lack of shared genetic markers and blatant morphological differences. There was probably interbreeding in prehistory and antiquity between the same group that interbred with the Dinosovians.
>>
>>50950745
Well no, he's right. Just look at where the Caucasus region is. A lot of asians are Caucasoids. That's not saying Asians are white, we associate "caucasoid" with white people when it's really a greater thing that white people happen to fall under. There's nothing /pol/ about this it's just technical terminology
>>
>>50950867
>Posts the only hawaiian famous on the mainland

You don't actually know anything about Hawaii do you
>>
>>50950867
A common theme in Polynesian culture was "mana" which is a great RPG plot thread. Mana could be gained from great feats, e.g. a weapon that had been used triumphantly in battle would have its history and decorations carved into it to seal the mana of its experience in it. Mana was harvested from the environment and channeled it into usable (read: tool) form. Hawaiians used shark teeth in their clubs not just for the practical application but because it was believed to steal and store the shark's mana. Tattoos had similar significance. However, mana was also gathered by the warriors through battle, and that mana could be stolen by killing and eating other people and stealing their highly decorated and prized weaponry. The Hawaiian King I mentioned earlier cannibalized many rival chieftains to gain their mana during his conquest of the Hawaiian archipelago. The Maori were a little more heavy on the cannibalism and would eat most any warrior. Being eaten and turned into feces was the worst fate imaginable because all your mana would leave your tribe to some other schmuck's. I cannot speak for other Polynesian cultures, but when the Maori stuck their tongues out at someone, they were threatening to eat them.

Basically, mana was experience points and equipment buffs that could be stolen from your enemies by eating them and stealing their shit.

>>50950978
Trying to ring up prior knowledge and produce an easily Googleable name is a choice of presentation. However, I am not claiming to be an expert on Polynesia, and my personal expertise lies elsewhere. Would you care to share more Hawaiian figures from history?
>>
File: 0 he's OP.png (176KB, 1592x526px) Image search: [Google]
0 he's OP.png
176KB, 1592x526px
>>50950978
My mistake. I thought you were responding to me... Oops.
>>
>>50947045
>the Hawaiians weren't much better in terms of cannibalism
This is incorrect. We didn't actually eat anyone, but Europeans who came and recorded us thought we did because baking the meat off the bones of important people is something we do. Bones hold the most mana, so it's a normal funeral practice for us. However, no actual consumption occurred.

Also I should say that Hawai'ians were far more capable in large-scale combat than our Maori cousins. Even though champion-fighting solved most of our issues, our largest battle involved literally tens of thousands of people and full pike-and-shot formations. The Maori never got past battles of a few hundred and champion fights.
>>
>>50951084
Polynesians confirmed for OG munchkins.
>>
>>50952229
I've heard about bones holding the most mana but not that the meat was discarded rather than consumed.

And yeah, Hawaiian wars got much bigger than Maori ones. I'd speculate that it was because there was a lot more to fight over and there were more Hawaiians. Actually, how big was pre-European contact Hawaiian population? I know the Maori population was in the six figures, but I always figured the Hawaiian pop was seven or maybe eight figures.
>>
File: polynesian myth.png (125KB, 3010x404px) Image search: [Google]
polynesian myth.png
125KB, 3010x404px
>>50946761
Weirdly
>>
>>50952702
Yeah, Hawai'ians preferred taking the bones because they're rich in mana, but we didn't eat our fallen or our foes; in fact there are instances of Ali'i getting rather offended when the Europeans would imply that we did. In contrast, Maori would sometime carry prisoners of war with them on the warpath to make sure they still had food if supplies ran low for some reason. Our islands were a lot richer than theirs, so cannibalism never became a thing for us; taking the mana-rich bones was more than enough. Though I can understand how ancient Hawai'ians having literal ovens made for baking the bodies of important people being somewhat odd for Europeans who didn't know any better.

To my knowledge, the general peak of the Hawai'ian populace depends on who you ask. There are theories that suggest only up to about 200-250k, but there is also evidence to suggest the potential for up to a million people as of 1778. To make things more complicated, Cook and his crew estimated the populace to be at about 400k at the time of their contact.

It's a bit spotty, to be sure. But the even the smallest and most niggardly estimates place the ancient Hawai'ian populace at a healthy enough six figures.
>>
>>50952814
That's significantly higher than I would have guessed if someone asked me. Guess Hawaii is a lot bigger than I thought. I've never even been in the same hemisphere as the islands, just kind of assumed that they're tiny and couldn't have supported more than a couple thousand people at most.
>>
>>50952702
Seven is being generous and there's no way it was eight. There was definitely a six figure population above 100 thousand though.

Very unfortunate that the majority of them died due to disease.
>>
>>50952863
Many historians (myself included; I'm not professional, but I'm credited) and archaeologists view pre-contact Polynesia--or at least, most of it--as one of the closest places that the real world had to paradise.

Starvation was never really an issue, pre-contact Polynesian cultures had very little plague to contend with, many of their wars didn't amount to a great amount of death because of things like champion fights and strategic wars of conquest instead of attrition, and there was a wealth of knowledge, medicine, trade, and travel.

It was a pretty nice place to be, if you followed some of the more strict cultural rules in place.
>>
>>50952895
I dunno. I've been to Guam, and it's an armpit. How is the rest of Polynesia compared to Guam?
>>
>>50953201
I'm specifically referring to pre-contact, back before Western influence trashed a lot of it.

And I'm not just being bitter there, it's honestly true. Go to Hawai'i. It's not nearly as rich or well-maintained as it used to be, and we're literally fighting government entities to keep them from putting (useful, but still invasive) buildings on our territory.
>>
>>50946761
Magical space canoes launched from magical floating Islands that act as spaceships.
>>
>>50953228
Mainland natives have the same problem, from what I understand. A lot of the old treaties are being slowly dissolved and any hint of sovereignty is being done away with under the guise of further assimilation.

I understand that only native Hawaiians can own property and others can only lease. Is there any way to leverage that power to slow down development or establish covenants on the real estate that preserve it? Covenants placed on real estate dramatically lower value, but they're generally immutable and eternal.
>>
>>50953279
Not really. We've had an awful lot of reliance on the "immutable and eternal," (good phrasing, honestly) estates where literally nothing can be put on them, but almost all of those estates are present on the Big Island.

There are actual territories (my grandfather worked on one) where hotels are built AROUND these territories, but they're not TOUCHING them, so they're good to go from a legal perspective. It makes a lot of natives rather bitter about the situation, and makes it feel like there's not a lot we can do.
>>
>>50953309
You could perhaps put a moratorium on building in some places. If you look into real estate economics, you could see how some areas, particularly in rural or highly agricultural areas, use certain policies to create no to slow growth and put a clamp on development without tanking their economy. If there are other businesses that you could protect while dissuading new development, you could have the two-pronged approach of pro-local politics and conservation. Out in middle America, it's one of the things you do to avoid being lumped in with the tree-huggers and get peoples' economic interest aligned with your more ideological goals.
>>
>>50953385
Part of the problem here is that Hawai'i in particular has one of the (if not just the) worst ever education systems in America. A lot of people who crusade for property rights face the issue of the fact that not a lot of us are highly-educated; there's also the issue that a lot of these rights are based on "blood purity," when it comes to individual ownership, and there's effectively no such thing as a purebred Hawai'ian anymore. I personally identify more as a Hapa than a full Hawai'ian, and there are a LOT of us in a similar position.
>>
>>50953228
Grew up in Hawaii, The place is dullard central. Locals ruin everything commit crime blame all the problems on government then rob tourists.

Anything that could remotely advance the welfare of the people gets protested and attacked. Like irradiation so local crops can be exported, geothermal powerplants or a ferry service so it doesnt cost +$200 dollars to go between islands.

There is also the a'ama crab problem. Where much like if you put an a'ama crab in a bucket it will climb out and escape, but if you put two or more crabs they just pull each other down back into the bucket.

That basically sums up local culture over there. They pick fights because someone is from Hamakua and is in Kona or whatever bullshit. This one old Hawaiian woman was ranting about it at a kids soccer game one time. Kid got assaulted on the field by another player and cops came and she was going on about how those people need to stay on their side of the island anyway.

But go ahead and lie through your teeth to the haulis about how you got it oh so bad bra.
>>
>>50953460
I'm not arguing that modern Hawai'i is fucked-up. It is. Follow a few of my other posts (in my latest I literally point out how under-educated everyone is). I'm simply pointing out that the pre-contact world wasn't really that bad, especially compared to other "pre-contact," worlds.

Except for a lot of the pre-contact Americas. Those places aren't all that bad (again, like in Hawai'i: if you followed the cultural rules in place).
>>
>>50953414
It's pretty hard to beat California in terms of bad education. Most high schoolers here do addition (poorly) on their fingers and read at a second to fourth grade level, and that's with our grade level standards being two to three grades behind what they used to be. Most also know nothing aside from crude math and literacy. How bad can Hawaii be?

This is mostly Socal. It's terrible down here.

>>50953460
Sounds like what various street gangs do in various cities. My home town had a bypass put in a few years ago and the entire business district got put under imminent domain. It's a regular ghost town with gangs running amok because our bankrupt asses won't pay for a police department and Cali politics make it impossible for police to be anything more than very, very belatedly reactive. I had to move because it was just too dangerous, and they're literally trying to create a privatized police force because the city won't pay for cops period, and county isn't picking up the slack.
>>
>>50953516
Hawai'ian school doesn't teach you how to get by in the world. It teaches you how to get by in Hawai'i. And considering how our culture is in major decline because of shit we've discussed before, effort put into the actual education is fucking nil.

That doesn't even begin to discuss schools that teach in the local language, and will only let people in if they've a proper blood-level.

It's God-awful, and ripe with shit like drugs and corruption.
>>
>>50953460
>There is also the a'ama crab problem. Where much like if you put an a'ama crab in a bucket it will climb out and escape, but if you put two or more crabs they just pull each other down back into the bucket.
Only a fucking haole would try to take some random metaphor and add some local word to it to try to make it relevant to Hawaiians.
>They pick fights because someone is from Hamakua and is in Kona or whatever bullshit.
Total bullshit.

Don't even try to equate Polys to niggers. Which is what you're trying to do.

The Hawaiian islands have a bad drug problem and most crime is because of that.
>>
>>50950383
>The only ones I've seen with any modicum of evidence are the South Asian and Indo-European models which anthropologically are Caucasoid,
I bet you consider Ainu "Caucasoid" as well.

Polynesians and other Oceanians(Melanesians,Australian aborigines etc.) share their ancestry with the Onge(and the putative ancestral population in India). They have additional East Asian admixture facilitated by Taiwanese aborigines.

http://anthromadness.blogspot.com/2015/03/east-eurasians-ones-you-dont-know-about.html
>>
>>50953569
Thanks, anon. I'm turning up my nose at the article itself but checking out the references at the bottom. All the in-text citations are links to other blogs or wikipedia it seems and written in a sensationalist fashion that irks me. That said, the references at the bottom look good, so I'm definitely going to read those.
>>
>>50953555
>>50953516

I'm Minnesotan and can't comment directly on either Hawaiian or Californian schools, but the general buzz I've heard about the former suggests that they might very well be the worst in the nation (well, perhaps excluding some of the Gulf states). My mom's friend is a teacher their and apparently it's depressing as hell.
>>
>>50953676
It's pretty bullshit, and it's exactly the kind of schooling that does little more than divide further.
>>
File: pol tries to fit in with tg.webm (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pol tries to fit in with tg.webm
2MB, 500x375px
>>50953460
>>
>>50953564

Truth hurts doesn't it and like that the wounded prideful animal comes out.

I know how you guys gang up and fight each other and rob tourists hell I have seen it and had friends get fucked over by that shit.

Also equate polys to niggers, please. Remember when the superferry docked in Maui and the local fucks attacked cars being offloaded and flattening tires because those Oahu people came to our island fo steal our rocks from da eva valley.

The look in your eyes when you get bashed isn't like a person who thinks oh I fucked up starting a fight and is scared of being injured or dying, unable to see their loved ones one last time. Its the cold stare of a rabid animal that wants to get up and cause as much hurt as possible in the short time it has left. Fuck your racist squabbling gangs, fuck your noble savage lies and most importantly fuck you.
>>
>>50953564
>>There is also the a'ama crab problem. Where much like if you put an a'ama crab in a bucket it will climb out and escape, but if you put two or more crabs they just pull each other down back into the bucket.
>Only a fucking haole would try to take some random metaphor and add some local word to it to try to make it relevant to Hawaiians.
For some reason, this made me lol.
>>
>>50947268
Any link to their martial arts and their supposedly better than Shaolin monks kind of thing?

Because Shaolin monks never existed after 1950 except as a tourism entity and any faggots that used them as comparison are always faggots with weird dance moves who can't properly swing a fist.
>>
>>50953715
>I know how you guys gang up and fight each other
Most fights are typically one on one, It's usually a point of pride for most locals.
>and rob tourists
Yeah on Oahu maybe, definitely not representative of the entire Hawaiian population.
>Remember when the superferry docked in Maui and the local fucks attacked cars
Yeah I remember seeing that most of those guys were haoles too, pretty funny because most of the people I knew, Hawaiian, supported it.
>Fuck your racist squabbling gangs
Gangs in Hawaii lol. Don't even try to compare the gangs over here to the ones on the mainland.

Look I know that getting picked on in school for being a haole left a bitter taste in your mouth, but if it means anything to you I did try to defend you guys when possible.

>>50953762
Because it's true.
>>
>>50952895

That sounds like ethnocentric bullshit.
>>
>>50953794
He's talking about a Deadliest Warrior episode. Which is all full of shit, but most of the weapons tests came through pretty well.
>>
>>50953803
Don't get me wrong, a lot of the social rules I mentioned weren't the best things ever. If the King's shadow touched you, you were stoned to death, for example.

So it's not all perfect, but social angles aside, the actual territories were pretty much perfect for a growing society; which is more of what my post was referring to in calling it "paradise."
>>
>>50953658
>http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v538/n7626/full/nature19844.html
>http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v538/n7624/full/nature18299.html
>http://www.pnas.org/content/113/6/1594.abstract
Unfortunately,most of the relevant academic sources are locked behind a paywall.

The so called "Mongoloid" phenotype is derivative of "Australoid' populations.

The question is when and where this transition occurred(There were "Australoid" type skulls as late as neolithic China).
>>
>>50953809
Still didn't disprove my argument.
>>
>>50953837
The "shaolin," aspects were all ahistorical bullshit, but the Maori angle was at least well-enough researched.
>>
>>50946761
The polyensian colonization of islands, hero explorers, raids and trading expeditions fits right in, islands=planets. One captain and his crew may do all this, depending on context and season.

The locals understanding moonson season and local tides turns into a sort of chaotic hyperspace with great flutuations depending on this or that.

The usual PCs are the officers of a hyperspace-capable karakoa-class corvette, plus their crew. It has two huge side warp engines, based on outrigger war canoes and federation ships from star trek.

The current political model is the Mandala Federation, based on the likewise real political model. Networked space thalassocracies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala_(political_model)
The instability of this sytem ensures there is always conflict and strife somewhere to take advantage of.

The measure of sucess and status is the amount of bling, tattoos and jeweled teeth one has.

Chinese treasure fleets become a nomadic alien species and their spacecraft. They say they come from an empire, far beyond the setting's known maps.

There is an actual moon-eater space dragon and/or spaceship called Bakuwana.
>>
File: sXNpswW.jpg (540KB, 946x1384px) Image search: [Google]
sXNpswW.jpg
540KB, 946x1384px
>>50953835
>>
>>50953801

All you guys do is get drunk and live off of tourism and government welfare and bitch about tourists and the government.

You're the most hypocritical group of people I've ever seen. And fat.
>>
>>50953872
My favorite story is from my friends wife who is full Polynesian and she was doing deliveries up in Hawaiian Homes. This old man comes outside and sees her and strikes up a conversation and it quickly turns to a rant. He is ranting about how the cruise ship out there in the harbor is bringing all these stupid tourists who ruin the aina and throw trash everywhere.

He gets into it a ways and she goes "oh I know! I hate it when those tourists cruise up and down Palani road in their cruise ship tossing old mattress and natty ice bottles on the side of the highway!" old man gets a super sour look and just walks back into his house.
>>
>>50953972

They hate haoles but they love their money.

And the schools are racist as shit. What the ever living fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>50946761
Mapless interstellar navigation based on oral histories of star locations and feeling gravity wells? Sounds pretty awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_navigation
>>
>>50950383
>Caucasoid as a class in physical anthropology does not mean from Europe

And I didn't say that it did. Leaving aside whether or not it's outdated, the Polynesian peoples are not Causcoids under any definition of the term. Like I said, DNA mapping has their closest relatives are the peoples of East Asia, most specifically Taiwan, which would put them very firmly in the Mongoloid category. This would be from the paternal Y chromosome analysis done in 2000, followed up on and confirmed in 2008. They also have admixture from other sources, but Taiwan is their most likely point of origin.

I call the term "/pol/", however, because you made the same fundamental fuck-up that every /pol/ster does, which is to take something (often outdated - modern anthropologists don't like using these terms because they're far too broad to serve as useful classifications) and put your own, incorrect and fundamentally racist spin on it. To whit: the "races" of humanity such as causcoid and mongoloid are only used to describe physiological features, not mentality. The Polynesians are a mongoloid people, but that fact has no bearings on their aggression or approach to warfare.
>>
>>50953861
>>50954088
Those two could be combined.
>>
>>50953794
>>50953809

The weapon tests are the only thing worth watching on that show. The guy even said as much.
>>
File: n6608.jpg (40KB, 316x542px) Image search: [Google]
n6608.jpg
40KB, 316x542px
>>50946761
Ever read Dream Park? Near Future corporate espionage murder mystery set in a expensive virtual reality LARPG set in a Polynesian cargo cult jungle adventure.

Cannibals, Polynesian mythos monsters, RPG class types, sexy sluts, experience points, guns, swords, magic, airplanes, and native guides.

It's not a space opera, but it's a fun read and should be packed with ideas for you OP.

PS: the first sequel set in Eskimo mythos is not so great, but the third book California Voodoo Game is excellent, even better than the first.
>>
>>50950867

Little known fact about hawaii:

Native hawaiians have a little problem when it comes to fistfights: They tend to end in a single punch causing death.

Hawaiians hit HARD. Even the smaller ones, for some reason.
>>
>>50954621
What is this, some kind of Polynesian west world?
>>
>>50954657

That's because their friend punches you in the back of the head when you aren't looking.
>>
I know Jackshit about Polynesia or Hawaii, but what I do know is that I would not want to fight any natives.

They're fucking huge. They're the only race I've ever seen that has such a bend towards a specific bodytype, and that bodytype is absolutely terrifying. If there's ever an apocalypse scenario, they're gonna be the ones that lead all the bands of warriors and shit. They're like human tanks.
>>
>>50954721
Go to sleep haole
>>
>>50954739
We're not all huge, but yes, there is definitely a genetic leaning toward big guys.
>>
>>50954746

As it turns out, I'm at work. You fucking coconut nigger.
>>
>>50954765
> toward big guys
for you
>>
>>50954840
Whatever you say haole
>>
>>50954765
4 U
U
>>
>>50954861
>>50954890
Saw it coming.
>>
>>50954671
Not really. The Dream Park is a company that developed augmented/virtual reality tech. They run retreats, LARPGs, survival experiences, weight loss adventures, parties, and shit like that in these big domes. They use the augmented reality and some clever level design tricks to keep the people inside from reaching the edges or whatever. The themes of the events can be anything, the big LARPG event during the events of the first book just happens to be Polynesian mythos.

Westworld wasn't augmented reality it was just androids in a wild west theme park...that then go crazy and kill people. So in that it's a theme park I guess it's the same, but it's not a Star Trek, "the holodeck simulations are real and violent!" type trope. The actual plot is more corporate espionage and murder mystery in both the first and third book rather, rather than fighting to survive in a theme park gone wrong it's just don't ruin the theme park while we figure out the mystery.
>>
>>50950144
>Inuit Space Opera
neverness by david zindell
>>
>>50954746
>>50954840
>>50954879
I love you 2.
>>
Come on guys. This is easy.

>big honking heroes travelling across the galaxy
>big honking fights
>when the villain is defeated, everyone returns home to eat an country worth of food
>>
>>50949923
>how retarded IS /pol/?
>Implying /pol/ isn't Retard Board
Anon...
>>
File: 1409970254800.jpg (57KB, 527x681px) Image search: [Google]
1409970254800.jpg
57KB, 527x681px
>>50956421
>polynesian saiyans
Fund it.
>>
>>50946761
>How would a space opera setting based on Polynesian mythology go?
The local rainbow-haired she-twink would have a fit and accuse the GM of racism and cultural appropriation.
pls send help, im in Toronto
>>
>>50958136
>toronto
I wish I could.
Godspeed anon, I wish you luck in hell.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.