[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what was the biggest /tg/ marketing coup of the year?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

So what was the biggest /tg/ marketing coup of the year?
>>
File: scythe-cover.jpg (212KB, 1024x547px) Image search: [Google]
scythe-cover.jpg
212KB, 1024x547px
>>50943050
Scythe

Absolutely abysmal, even if you want to play it as euro-builder
>>
>>50943250

But that art! Look at it!
>>
>>50943266
The art is literally the only good thing in this "game"

Which perfectly fits the theme of marketing coup
>>
>>50943250
Polish mecha? Explain, please?
>>
>>50943250
Is that bad? I was semi interested seeeing it was like a catan with mechs.
>>
>>50943998
It's more like cheap knockoff from Agricola with really retarded mechanics
>>
>>50943250
Scythe's problem is that people expected Dieselpunk Mechwarrior. Instead they got SimGulag.
>>
>>50944184
>Scythe's problem is that people expected Dieselpunk Mechwarrior.
Why did people expect that

I didn't even glance at the KS page but the art made it clear that you would be playing peasants trying to harvest their grainz and not get stomped on.
>>
>>50944184
Nah, misaimed marketing is one, but people who looked beyond the pictures were awaiting serious strategy builder.
Instead the game comes with mechanics so stupid you wonder on what they've spent their kickstarter money. Because definitely not on playtests
>>
>>50943050
Everytime someone at Games Workshop leaks blurry photos from the White Dwarf.
>>
>>50944278

But the Boardgamecucks really liked it

>Immediately after our first game, my girlfriend excitedly exclaimed that Scythe was a mash up of the best parts of her favorite games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598580/would-you-build-empire-2p-review-scythe
>>
>>50944324
Yes, and?
I didn't.
And I find the game a mess, even if I was expecting a builder from the very start, unlike most salty fags who were there only for mechas.
>>
Why the hell does Scythe get so much hate on /tg/? It's an awesome game, an excellent mix of economic worker placement gameplay and area control warfare with an elegant set of mechanics linking everything you do together in interesting ways. I've never understood the backlash against it, beyond it being something successful and popular.
>>
>>50944383
>excellent mix of economic worker placement gameplay
>excellent
>Scythe
Jakub...

Also
>Scythe
>Successful
>Popular
Maybe it's time to ease on the bottle?
>>
Invisible Sun, by far. Over six hundred thousand dollars for Monte Cook's fucking mystery box. The base buy in price was two hundred dollars, for christs sake.
>>
>>50944383
>Why the hell does Scythe get so much hate on /tg/?

Counter-marketing?
>>
>>50944383
Why? Because it's a subpar game, even if you skip the part about people expecting mecha war and getting gulag simulator instead. A gulag simulator that is far from being good or engaging.
In fact, the game can turn into a complete turtle mode and everyone just farming, taking turns on doing nothing, so... yeah, it's shit
>>
>>50944400

Can you explain why? I really enjoy Scythe, I think it gets the balance just right, keeping things relatively simple but with a lot of emergent depth.

Also, the game got a lot of money and a lot of sales, as well as good critical reception, so I'm not really sure what you can say on that latter part?
>>
>>50944415

>six hundred thousand dollars
>pieces of paper
>>
>>50944324
Nothing makes me a bigger rage about the hobby than all the cuckbeards that has become more vocal over the last few years.
>>
>>50944470

...What?
>>
>>50944435
>Pre-definied starting locations
>Some are better than others
>Balanced
Jakub...

The best part is how each Scythe-related thread going in European nightime hours is devoid of any fierce defendors asking ad nauseam "but why you consider it bad" after being explained (also ad nauseam) why. But if shit goes before 11 PM of Central European Time, expect Jakub coming for the rescue.
>>
>>50944482

It's always seemed pretty balanced in the games I've played? Just greentexting kinda makes it hard to respond to you since your points lack any substance.
>>
>>50944499
Just pretending you aren't unable to take critique won't make you less of a faggot, Jakub.

This is what you get from picking up "artist" from deviantArt and making him game creator - he can't fucking stand the situation when people simply don't like his shit.
Stay mad. That won't fix the broken rules and non-engaging gameplay. It takes real talent to pick Agricola and make it boring.
>>
>>50944520

I'm not sure why you keep calling me Jakub, I'm just asking for a real answer to my questions.

Opinions are opinions, and while I enjoy Scythe it's always worth hearing a good account of why other people believe what they believe, but so far you've not provided any real description or argument for your claims. I'm just asking you for that.
>>
>>50943250
I like the models the game had
>>
>>50944539
And he we are, starting the loop already described by >>50944482

Jakub, why are you such an autistic sperg? Seriously, people constantly point you should stop doing this shit, because we all seen it already countless of times and yet you keep trying.
They don't taught about eristics in Poland or what?
>>
>>50944566

So you don't actually have a point to back up your claims? Alright then.
>>
>>50944400
>>50944482
>>50944520
>>50944566

Referring to everyone who disagrees with you as if they're the same person is just kinda stupid.
>>
>>50944579
The points were already stated. Not my fault you continously ignore them, thread after thread, to everntually get everyone bored with your shit, after which you claim a "victory".

Nice counter-productive marketing you are making for your game. Literally one of the better places to shill for it, but with your competence all that's left is the bewilderment people hate it instead.
>>
>>50944596
As a guy who only wrote 2 out of 5 linked posts I couldn't agree more
Oh the irony...
>>
>>50944598

This is literally the first time I've posted about Scythe on /tg/. Do you post about it all the time? Why? I thought you didn't like the game?
>>
>>50944605

That isn't really relevant? Referring to everyone who actually likes Scythe as 'Jakub' is dumb, regardless of how many people do it.
>>
>>50944551
Heroes, mecha, or both?
If you're "I'm buying this for the miniatures" kind of a person, Bloodrage or Kingdom Death are better choices in terms of bang/buck.
>>
>>50944619
Anon, I don't want to break it for you, but the guy few times went really off the hook on different forums pulling a desperate defense of his game.
So ever since every poster who starts doing his routine of "but why you think it's bad" repeated over and over and over again is called Jakub.
Sort like every idiot posting contrarian shit is called virt, even if virt quit 4chan well over a year ago, running a blog instead.
>>
>>50944639
Heroes. Mechas are kind of shit and really low quality.
>>
>>50944650

If a game is criticised isn't it only logical to ask for details? I'm just confused why nobody has been able to provide any. If he's done so before then it should be easy to type them up from memory.
>>
>>50944665
There is a difference between asking for reason why people hate it and situation when you are explained why, after which you say "But why?".
He did the later.

Just check RPG Codex forum for reference.
>>
>>50944689

I'd rather people just replied here and now instead of referring to an odd history of stuff elsewhere I don't give a fuck about. I always thought that was the point of this site, and anonymous communication in general. No history, no hierarchy, you just take people for what they say in the moment.
>>
>>50944662
This begs the question where would one get hold of decent quality mecha miniatures.
>>
>>50944747
Battletech minis or get some custom printed from like shapeways.com
>>
>>50944650
Not him but too be honest this is the first time i ever heard of this game so i have no idea why you are so dead set against this game. Could you give me, or should is say us, a example on what makes Scythe so awful?
>>
>>50944736
>Tell me why people are so angry
>Told why
>I don't care
Jakub... get a grip of yourself

>>50945081
Ok, so first of all, you must understand a lot of people were expecting completely different game. It's entirely their fault, because the marketing was open it will be a building/farming game, with mecha being just a bonus for weird dieselpunk aesthetics. A lot of people were butthurt about being "cheated", but again, it's their own dam fault.
Then comes the actual game. Imagine Agricola that pretends to be a war game that pretends to be a builder game. Then remove just about any form of playtest to see if the rules even work out in action when played by non-creators. Then add in the last moment combat rules that exist solely to shovel in the mechas into the game, as the combat doesn't resolve anything, doesn't make you stronger and isn't exactly the way to play the game, not to mention win it (you can wipe out 2 enemies and the 3rd one will still win by turtling). Then comes the fact that the game, in theory being a competitive one, is literally about up to 4 people playing a separate game on their own. Kind of like typical /tg/ builder games, where you just build shit for no real reason other than building, with player interaction being absolutely removed. So you literally just skip turns to play it

In the end you have a total mess of rules, disjoined gameplay elements and a superflous overall theme that doesn't simply fit the gameplay. Half of the rules can be completely skipped without hampering the game or altering it in any way

If I had to make some comparison, I would say "typical Steam Greenlight shit", where people were all about the potential, but the final production was waaaay above the skills of creators, who still decided to deliver, because sheeps love being stripped of their money. Especially with the marketing literally running on cool images absolutely unrelated with the game

4/10 game, an absolutely mediocre, low-quality product.
>>
>>50945195

It's so weird. I feel like you're talking about a completely different game, I've never experienced anything like that playing Scythe.

But different opinions, preferences and experiences I guess.
>>
>>50945195
Only played it couple times (don't own a copy, but I will try mostly anything that shows up at the local joint). I agree on most points of the critique except the absence of player interaction. Impact of combat is generally underwhelming but not completely nil Occasional precise strike to seize resources (that you will ideally spend right away as the part of the same turn) can make all the difference.
Also you're effectively racing with the other players in terms of mobility (collecting Encounters & getting your choice pick from Factory).
Its neither particularly intuitive, nor balanced but it's there.
>>
>>50943250
I've actually never heard of this game.
Why is it good/shit?
>>
>>50946258

As someone who likes it, I appreciate the interesting blend of theme and mechanics.

It's a game about warfare and farming and both are key to victory. If you just farm, an enemy might move in to take what's yours, but if you only try to conquer you'll lack the infrastructure to keep going.

It has a few interesting mechanics on top of that theme. Each player has a board listing the four actions they can do each turn, but while there are the same eight actions on each board (four top row, four bottom row) they all occur in different combinations, changing up your strategy based on what board they get. It also has a really elegant upgrade system. To upgrade one of your actions, you move a wooden cube from a slot in the top row, revealing a new output, to cover a slot in the bottom row, covering up a cost. So you get more from one action, and make another cheaper.

Something key to the warfare side is that all resources in the game always exist on the board. Anything you produce can be used as long as you control that area, but managing your resource stockpiles and being ready to defend them is very important- Someone else taking one of your hexes for a turn can mean they spend all your hard earned gains.

Combat itself is simple but straightforward. Everyone has a publicly visible Energy meter, which goes up to 16, and when you enter combat you secretly bid up to 9 energy on a dial. You also add combat cards depending on how many troops you have in the fight. The highest number at the end wins.

It makes preparing for warfare a task in itself, and one that's obvious to everyone else at the table, but also allows a degree of bluffing and trying to guess at the result.
>>
>>50946325
Seems alright but not particularly interesting. I'll try it if I can find a demo (my LGS does a lot of them)
>>
>>50944415
>ctrl+F "invisible sun"
Shitting in the pool to make a quick buck by establishing this kind of thing as acceptable sure wasn't an awful thing to do alright.
>>
>>50946325
As someone who is lukewarm to it; we played it like 4-payer solitaire.

2 of the players weren't that keen on combat and once i tried to start shit, I quickly realized that everyone else was getting ahead while I built for war.

But by that point I figured I wasn't going to win anyway because I had one objective that was ALL across the other map inside one of the idler's areas and there was no chance in hell for me to reach there.

I didn't feel like it was fun, while playing because everyone kinda just kept to themselves, being visibly annoyed as i meched some of them; someone even got to counter me at a few turns due to the strategy cards, while investing only the bare minimum.

After a while of feeling like getting nowhere interacting with the other players, I tried to go back to farming and lo and behold I lost gloriously when the other 2 turtle players put down their objective cards that was in their starting areas and took the two top spots with a tiny margin; at least they had fun.

The third player and I tried to war at each other, but it wasn't all that.

All in all it was pretty underwhelming, but it was sort of disgusting that the game would look almost indentical if I had gone full farm-simulator due to one of the objectives being plain impossible to reach.
I got a bit salty when I realized and the other players sorta agreed with a mild; "Eh, it's not entirely balanced no, but that is also a part of the game."
>I don't think I'd play it again /tg/, I prefer more interactive games.
>>
File: Problem Micronians Full.jpg (255KB, 1000x1549px) Image search: [Google]
Problem Micronians Full.jpg
255KB, 1000x1549px
>>50944747
Robotech RPG Tactics
>>
>>50943050
7th Sea 2e. It broke all the records for an RPG on Kickscammer.
>>
>>50944184
Why isn't Dieselpunk Battletech a thing?
>>
>>50951025
Explain to us Anon!
>>
>>50945195
>>50949870
Those anons get it.
The game has interactive level of filling a crossroad by 4 people. Only that everyone is doing their own crossroad and they are in 4 different rooms.
>>
>>50944639
If you want to play Blood Rage, buy Chaos in the Old World instead
>>
>>50954108
Also fuck Scythe. Some parts of it are ok, but the Rusviets are broken to hell, combat is shit, and everything you want to do feels like a chore.
>>
Warmachine and Hordes 3rd edition rollout was so bad I stopped playing.
>>
>>50955070
Funny, it almost got me back in, and my store's player base has doubled.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.