[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gurpsgen/ GURPS General: How could you let it die? edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 28

File: Gurpsgen.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Gurpsgen.pdf
1B, 486x500px
What's the best story you have from a GURPS game?
>>
>>50938756
I think Discord has stolen several of the people that used to keep it bumped and occasionally even generate content.

Best GURPS story is a hard one. I'm damn fond of beating the shit out of a werewolf with a quarterstaff, breaking one of it's legs.

We sometimes do get Storytime here. Used to happen more often.
>>
>>50939191
Well fuck Discord.
>>
>>50933970
LT3e, p. 41-42: Use Armory to craft weapons, two rolls for blades (forge then quench&temper), one for all other weapons and missiles. If the armorer works without an assistant and proper forge, -2 to skill. +2 to skill for two 15+ assistants and specialized tools. Making a weapon from a blank saves time, but costs $5/lb. of weapon. Making your own makes it $1/lb. Using Metallurgy allows you to purchase better quality metal, MoS is a bonus to the Armory roll.

Cheap weapons get +10 to the roll, Good are unpenalized, Fine is -10, Very Fine is -20. Taking extra time and haste penalties apply. A normal failure by 1-3 produces a weapon one step less than the quality you set out to make, Cheap weapons are made useless. A failure by 4+ always produces a useless weapon. Blades use the worse of both rolls for blade quality.

It takes 8 hours for a knife or sword, 4 hours for other weapons. Hilting a knife or sword requires an additional 6 hours, or 12 without supplies. Hafting takes one hour for Reach 1, two for longer weapons. Roll Armory for either, with a failure producing an awkward but usable grip (no penalties?) and critical failure means the weapon breaks when used in combat.

This can then be modified for field conditions, advanced equipment, or artistic design. In addition, if drawn wire of suitable gauge is at hand, the time required to make chain is reduced 50%. No skill roll is required; all armor is considered to be of Good quality.
>>
>>50940624
It's weird to me that pretty much anyone with 14 hours to kill can knock out a Cheap quality sword without much trouble, even without any training.
>>
>>50941340
well the most expensive part is the equipment and materials, even in the real world, i wouldn't think it takes that much longer 14 hours to make a standard sword blade of moderate quality.
>>
>>50941340
Armory (Melee Weapons) defaults to IQ-5. 10 IQ human means they have Armory (Melee Weapons)-5. Let's say they want to make a longsword, MA227, which is 4 lbs. The base time for a weapon is Weight * 0.75 hours, or 3 hours for this longsword. Blades have an x1 time modifier. An untrained person will probably be working in field conditions, which is an x1.5 modifier, and -2 to skill. This takes them down to Armory (Melee Weapons)-3. Assuming that, for whatever reason, they set out to just make any sword, and don't try to make a Good quality sword (which is what I assume people will try to make, rather than just trying to make anything), that's Armory (Melee Weapons)-13. Taking extra time to get a +3 adds an x3 multiplier to time, so now we have 3 * 4.5, or 13.5 (14 hours). They still have a roughly 10% chance of rolling above a 16, as they're rolling twice, so they could break the weapon. They then need to take an additional 6 or 12 hours to hilt the blade, meaning that making a sword takes a weekend to do. They're rolling against Armory (Melee Weapons)-5, -2 for field conditions, meaning that they are almost guaranteed to make a hilt that is awkward, and likely one that will break on use.

All in all, yes, an untrained person can create a (cheap and awkward) sword. They would need to have the default in the first place, such as watching youtube videos or reading a book that describes the process. I'd rule that the awkward hilt gives -1 to weapon skill for use, as Cheap (Balanced) would in MA.

I don't think it's unreasonable. I imagine most people will try to make a Good quality blade their first time, then fail miserably, possibly injuring themselves in the process. It takes 34.5 hours to get +10 on the roll for a longsword, which is a lot more time invested than most people would like.

Looking back at the rules, I'm not sure when the taking extra time multiplier is applied. It might need tweaking for 4e, but I think it works well enough.
>>
>>50941493
What is the significance of time anyway? Why couldn't they just take as much time as they wanted to make the damn sword?
>>
>>50941688
>What is the significance of time anyway? Why couldn't they just take as much time as they wanted to make the damn sword?
We're not all NEETs, anon. Especially in GURPS circles, where every third player has their post-doctorate and works at CERN. People have things to do besides slave away at a forge for multiple days at a time, working on a single sword. Even armorers don't have the luxury of time, because more time spent working on a single sword is less time spent working on the next. If you need to deliver X swords by Y date, you don't have all of the time in the world anymore.
>>
File: post-29187-129036035478.jpg (133KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
post-29187-129036035478.jpg
133KB, 640x480px
>>50941369
No? The cost of a cheap sword at $240 isn't anything like the kilogram of steel you'd need to make it. You could make a case that the sunk cost of a forge and tools represent a large investment, but those are infrastructure cost that you can spread across everything you make.

>>50941493
>>50941688
This is imagining more of a modern hobbyist then what I'd think might come up in game, namely a man with access to a workshop that knows trouble is coming by midday tomorrow, with the need to craft a blade something like the one he knows how to use before he runs out of time.

Sure, grinding a old Toyota leaf springs into a sword in the ruins of a high school metal shop before the raiders get back sounds fun, but it's odd that it is a task anybody could do.
>>
>>50942080
Why'd you link my comment in there it doesn't take a terribly long time to make a sword, you need, a forge, a hammer, a smelter, an anvil, and the raw materials needed like iron and charcoal, or you can get some scrap steel that's about it. Grand total for a pro isn't more than a day or two, all told, but from ingot to blade 14 hours sounds about right or perhaps a little long. Of course all that presumes a tech level equivalent to now in forging technology.
>>
>>50942150
The rules are from Low Tech, so they are TL 4 or less.
>>
>>50942222
When would that be in terms of real world?
>>
>>50942243
According to third edition, TL4 and before is from the stone age up to 1700. 4e has TL4 extend to 1730.
>>
>>50942279
well forging changes a lot from stone age to 1700, but from there to now not so much has changed in the technology used in forging.
>>
>>50942308
For what it's worth, the rules are for TL1, which is the bronze age, but the rules say they're applicable for TL 2 and 3, which in 4e covers between 3500 BCE and 1450CE. In 3e, it's from "Athens" to 1450CE. I didn't find any rules for making armory easier at higher TLs, or evolution of forging techniques providing mechanical bonuses. I know dick all about armory, so all I have to go on is forum posts.
>>
>>50942349
oh, well then I may be underestimating modern blacksmiths.
>>
The 3rd edition rules still seem to suffer the major flaw of the 4th edition ones; namely, that the modifiers to skill for weapon quality don't seem to match the prices asked for them.

Here are some house-rules which I think work better.
>>
>>50941744
So... x hours of GURPS time is the same as x hours of real time?
>>
Has the pdf of all of the compiled DF Pyramid articles been released into the wild?
>>
>>50942744
Yes.
>>
>>50943000
DF? I know it has a lot of stuff labeled pyramid.
>>
File: 1465745934382.gif (172KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465745934382.gif
172KB, 400x400px
How do I homebrew /gurpsgen/?

What are tips that you guys have for setting up a campaign, choosing what books you'll be using, etc?

What about character creation options? Do you set up campaigns differently when no one else at the table has played gurps before?
>>
>>50943655
I have read How to be a GURPS GM and Adaptations, and partially read Fantasy. That kinda helps to choose general direction and understand what do you need to do. Then check genre books for more ideas and guidelines.
>>
>>50942462
I don't know anything about third edition, but I don't think it's unreasonable to halve the penalties, since you can get a maximum of +5 for taking extra time in 4e.

>>50943655
>How do I homebrew?
Read the books and use rules that already exist, if possible. If that fails, go to the forums and search for your problem/make a thread about it.

>What are tips that you guys have for setting up a campaign, choosing what books you'll be using, etc?
I figure out what I want to run, then build the campaign to that. I don't think I can give any tips, since it's self-evident what you'll be using after you read a book. High-Tech is the book for modern games. Fantasy helps you make your own fantasy setting. Martial Arts is for any game that has melee combat as a focus. If I want to run a modern wuxia detective game with gunplay, I'd use Basic Set, Gun Fu, High-Tech, Martial Arts, Mystery, and Action.

>Do you set up campaigns differently when no one else at the table has played gurps before?
I build their characters for them, and write a guide on what the numbers and traits on their sheets mean.
>>
>>50942437
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpeyhC-UIFg&t=354s

Have a look at this anon.
>>
>>50944838
I've watched quite a few blacksmithing videos, but I'll check it out.
>>
>>50944838
So in other words I've severely underestimated Master Blacksmiths in general
>>
>TL 9 with the aesthetics of TL 6/7

Does something speak against it?
>>
>>50942308

A cold forging press can produce a very high quality blade in seconds that requires minimal polishing and sharpening before it's ready to go and can be used by an unskilled operator with minimal training.

Even without going to a machine press with a proper die you can work much, much faster with modern equipment then you could with unpowered tools.

>>50943655
This form is a very good resource for a GM. It's at least got the questions you need.

I'd suggest starting with an idea that sounds fun to you. Pirates in the 1680s, monster hunters of the 1920s, a dark fantasy world with monsters and beast, ect.

After that it's much easier to pick what books to use.

>Character options.

Try to give people enough choices to be fun without being overwhelming. Templates are a great tool for new players, and let them build a character without needing to figure out what to do with every point. You can find templates in Dungeon Fantasy, Fantasy, Monster Hunters, After the End, Action, ect.
>>
GURPS friends, a question.

Is there any real mechanics for TL4 guns misfiring due to weather conditions and such? Or it's just a GM fiat when the roll for firing a weapon is not good enough to end up with hitting?
>>
File: 1482809641665.jpg (145KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482809641665.jpg
145KB, 640x800px
>>50948480

Page 90 of Low Tech has rules for this under Water and Firearms. In general, wet conditions reduce the Malfunction number of a cannon-lock or matchlock by 4 to 12, a wheelock or snaplock by 2 to 6 and later flintlocks with a fizzen-covered pan by 1 to 3.

If the increased Malf comes up as a problem there is good news: It's always wet powder/no shot and not an explosion.
>>
>>50948587
>Want to ask a question regarding bronze age setting
>The incoming campaign was to use a jewish shepardess
>The description prepared for players matches the picture
Ok, I'm freaked... I'll come with the question later
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-30+at+05.53.42).png (6KB, 278x239px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-30+at+05.53.42).png
6KB, 278x239px
Heya guys. Quick question, since character creation app is so dated I can't view the help screens on this version of Windows,
What does the division represent? The 3/1, 6 / 9, 7 / 13, 6 / 12.
>>
>>50948889
Jesus, what program are you using?!
>>
>>50948889
Ehh Anon, what the fuck? PD is a 3e thing. I doubt even GCA has that.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (60KB, 800x281px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
60KB, 800x281px
>>50948319

A great many things. Practicality and efficiency being the most important factor.

In our world, battlefield encounters are trending towards closer ranges and city encounters with civilians nearby, so the evolution is leaning towards carbines and light support weapons rather than battle rifles.
From the picture you posted, just the most immediately noticeable flaws are:

>helmet
Extremely limited field of view.
If you insist on a gas-mask analogue (which could definitely make sense in a TL 9 scenario) visually reminiscent of a TL 6/7 mask, you'll want something a bit thicker with NO eyes, just wide-lens cameras and screens on the inside of the helmet. Tiny eyeslits like the one in your picture are too much of a limitation to be justifiable in TL9, doubly so once you start factoring in extra optional features like infrared and a HUD.

>Coat
Highly impractical battlefield gear, due to it's excessive weight and tendency to get snagged on fucking everything. There are better materials available in TL 9, you don't need the meager wind and rain protection a leather or cloth coat offers, so no military unit would issue coats.
A coat does make sense for a setting where equipment is more restricted though. In a TL9 Cyberpunk for example a coat is affordable, comfortable, fashionable streetwear that also helps when it comes to concealing a weapon.

>rifle
Iron sights are definitely Out by TL9. reflector sights and similar are the default (or you could/would/should use Augmented Reality sights, especially if you're already using direct-feed cameras for your in-helmet vision.)
No wooden parts on a military weapon, most metal is replaced by composite and plastic. If you haven't taken the step to bullpup designs and electronic triggers yet, you'll at the very least have cut down excess weight and cost with cheaper and superior modern alternative materials.
These are mostly minor - look at FN SCAR, it's not a million miles away from your pic.
>>
>>50948918
>>50948934
It's Character Builder for 3e, the resource books I was using were all 3rd edition so that's just what i've been using, sorry. I don't know what I'm doing at all lads to be honest and I've been trying to learn this system for several weeks now but I still got no clue at all AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH
>>
>>50948889

In the case of armor, it's Normal/Crushing damage

In the case of your Dodge, it's Current/Base, because at Heavy encumbrance you have -3 to dodge.

For Parry and Block.. ? I don't know.

Is this third edition? I'm lost.
>>
>>50948984
Yeah it's third edition. Is it possible encumbrance affected parry and block in third edition?
>>
>>50948970
4e is what now? 15 years old?
3e is what? 25?
Is this some sort of GURPS version of "let's go back to the roots and play oldschool" the D&D crowd is doing with 0D&D and the very first edition of ADD?
>>
>>50949039
All of the resources I had were 3rd edition, and since I'm a little more than new to this, I figured it would be better to start with the oldest (maybe the simplest?)
>>
>>50948984
No, for dodge, parry and block, on the left you have the base value you bought up to, and total on the right. Total includes passive defence from the armor and shield. (-3 for encumbrance for dodge, too)
4e did away with PD on armor, and it became "defence bonus" on shields.

No idea what's after the slash on PD though.
>>
>>50949073
>oldest (maybe the simplest?)
ahahaha
>>
>>50949073
Oh Jesus, anon...

Why didn't you ASK first, instead making a wild-guess assumption?
Drop 3e this instant. Don't even look at anything that was published before it was done (the 1 and 2 ed are footnotes in history anyway). And never do assumptions. Ask first.

Jesus... no bashing, serious and sincere question - from where the idea to try 3e first even came?
>>
>>50949153
god damnit i've made a terrible mistake i guess

well, i'm trying to learn this for a WW2 campaign. the WW2 book was 3rd edition, so i figured it would be a whole lot easier to just use 3rd to avoid confusion.
>>
Are we ever getting vehicles 4e and why not

I just want to run mad max
>>
>>50949153
>>50949089
>>50949039
What is bad about 3rd edition?
>>
>>50949780
Not a thing. 4th Edition is just better. 3rd is still a solid system.
>>
>>50949780
Nothing really. GURPS doesn't work like most other games and their versions. It works more like software. You don't use Windows 95 or Mac OS 8 anymore. You shouldn't use GURPS 1 or 2 or 3 anymore.
>>
>>50949874
>>50949878
Gotcha, thanks.
>>
>>50949780
>>50949874
>>50949878
>>50949897
But 4e's book is better organized, and some rules have been rewritten to be more clear.
Also some things do change. Like passive defence disappearing off armor and becoming defence bonus on shields, half-points disappearing, some ads/disads/skills had their point-cost change, strength and health now costing 10 points instead of 20, piercing damage is now a thing, etc.
>>
I want to GM a low-tech farming game, what do I need?
>>
>>50949433
High-tech book has ww2 guns and other stuff, you can use ww2 book as guideline without relying on 3e rules.
>>
File: 1482809694652.jpg (269KB, 579x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482809694652.jpg
269KB, 579x800px
>>50949780
It's not bad, some 3rd materal is very useful still..

But it's quite hard to get help with it. As we showed right here most of us have no idea when it comes to 3rd ed questions, and 4th edition has MUCH better programs to support it.

>>50948656
What is the question?
>>
>>50951415

The Basic Set, Low Tech and this (Low Tech Companion 3) should suit your needs well.
>>
>>50939191
There's a GURPS discord?
.....Link?
>>
>>50951939
>>50951939
https://discord.gg/enDrnUc
>>
>>50952238
thanks.
>>
Let's not let this one die Anons.
>>
>>50955165
Blame the discord.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.359911399_cf58.jpg (197KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.359911399_cf58.jpg
197KB, 1500x1000px
What is a better way to handle a sword still in a sheath used as a weapon? As a baton/quarterstaff, depending on size? Just normal, but make it deal cr rather then cut or imp?

Also, is it kosher to take away advantages if you allow them to be replaced? I have a player that is going to have a lot of social advantages sunken into one place that, plot wise, is going to be very hard to access for a long time. I'm tempted to drop those advantages and replace them with equal point values so he's not stuck.
>>
I've got my own question to ask: For RPM spells with Area Affect and Affliction, say a Lesser Control Body + Affliction, Stun + Area Effect, X Yards... how does that work mechanically when I cast the spell? Is the area centered on me? Do I have to roll to hit with it? Do I need to add Ranged? Do I need to roll to hit if it's Ranged?

Also, can you "hold" onto any spell after casting?

>>50956019
HT197 says to treat a katana's sheath as a baton.

As for subbing in advantages, I think that's part and parcel of any social advantage. It goes away when it's unavailable. You should let him earn new advantages for the new location, though, if it's going to be a long-term thing, rather than a few sessions. He might enjoy "starting from scratch," since it gives a lot of opportunities to roleplay, and I assume someone with a lot of social advantages has a character that is sociable enough to form new, lasting bonds.

>>50955957
Just give it a while for anons to be banned for being channers.
>>
>>50956019
Things like patrons, contacts and reputation? Just let him take them at half cost if the location's not going to pop up often.
>>
How would you guys do a GURPS racing campaign?
>horses
>cars
>podracers
>>
>>50956068
Steal Redline wholesale. Use rules from Action 2 for the races. Make it about the characters and their circumstances, rather than racing and racing mechanics. Pull my hair out because four different people want to play four different things and they can't all be on the same team, meaning I have to basically run 2+ games.
>>
>>50956019
>What is a better way to handle a sword still in a sheath used as a weapon? As a baton/quarterstaff, depending on size? Just normal, but make it deal cr rather then cut or imp?

Probably the latter, since it avoids issues like not being able to find a suitable equivalent club or reach changing when you add the sheath. Only issue with that is that you need to remember not to count blade quality and maybe have the thrusting damage restricted to the closest blunt weapon (it seems odd that a thrusting broadsword does more damage than either a blunt tipped broadsword or a light club when it is sheathed). I might also add a small skill penalty or something to represent the balance being off and the sheath flopping around as it slides off the blade.
>>
>>50956019

It's just a sword with cr damage really, though weapon skills are very loose. Treating it as a baton would probably be fine, and if you turn the sword around you get an improvised hammer!

Weapon skills are pretty stupidly limited in my opinion, so as a GM I'd recommend to treat them pretty fast and loose.
>>
>>50956019
Its a sword with cr, but with +1 to damage per dice. It has somethign to do on how GURPS deals with damage but i'm not sure what because i don't remember, i got this note a while ago after asking on the forums
>>
Ow, the edge.
>>
>>50956050
Why would they ban channers?
>>
>>50960193
For obvious reasons, like failing to hide their power level, and not nurturing a kid-friendly environment.
>>
So, how do i replicate Ursarkar Creed on GURPS?

>>50960524
Not even that anon but the discord was posted multiple times over here, its anon profile pop is huge.
>>
File: A TITAN LEGION APROACHES.jpg (600KB, 1600x833px) Image search: [Google]
A TITAN LEGION APROACHES.jpg
600KB, 1600x833px
So, how do i replicate Ursarkar Creed on GURPS?

>>50960524
Not even that anon but the discord was posted multiple times over here, its anon profile pop is huge..
>>
File: IMG_20161231_152001.jpg (71KB, 720x823px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161231_152001.jpg
71KB, 720x823px
GURPS discord sucks ass.
>>
>>50962089
No bullying.
>>
>>50962384
Go fuck yourself with a cheese grater.
>>
>>50960524
I do both of these things and never get banned. Maybe it's just you being acted retarded?
>>
>>50938756
Are there any rules for accidentally hitting your allies in a melee? I know during the assassination of Caesar a bunch of them accidentally stabbed each other and I am curious if I can replicate that.
>>
>>50964981
Basic page 392, Striking into a Close Combat.
>>
>>50965420
thanks
>>
>>50956019

Not sure, but aren't there rules for hitting people with the flat side of the blade?
>>
Prolly my favorite story from a GURPS game is when 3 of my players, a carbon copy of iron man, a guy who was druid zangeef (the wrestler), and a pizza deliver flash in a modern magic/monsters campaign ended up being trapped in basement with 3 elder vampires and having to duke it out with them while a primordial avatar of death (one of the other players) hunted down the boss of the vampires for the sin of lingering beyond their time. that was one of hell of a game.
>>
What are the three most important pieces of advice you'd give a GM before their first session?
>>
/tg/, I am trying to recruit players for an online GURPS game, voice chat - either G+, Roll20 or whatever. What websites do you recommend for advertising an GURPS campaign and getting some damn players?
>>
>>50970200
My voice sounds like a suffering dog and english isn't my native language, but, may i join? i'm a forever GM, so, at this point i don't even mind the theme

Also put your game as 'needing players' on roll20 +go to GURPS discord see if there are any anons looking for a game
>>
File: shitty tokens for tg.png (199KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
shitty tokens for tg.png
199KB, 600x600px
>>50970308
Also i'm the resident tokenfag, if that is of any help, but be ware, they are simple and sometimes really shitty.
>>
When calculating the CER of a monster and his best attack skill is a brawling grapple and he has extra arms do you do the effective skill with the bonuses for the extra arms or just the base brawling?
>>
>>50970508
Just the base Brawling.
>>
What would be appropriate to roll against to detect subtleties in an NPC's speech (sarcasm, doubt, sadness, etc.)?
>>
>>50972793

No roll.
Well-adjusted people almost always catch subtleties like sarcasm or doubt in normal conversations, you'd need a disadvantage like Clueless or Oblivious to miss it.

That said, people occasionally do get it wrong, if you insist on making it a roll, maybe IQ+10? The equivalent of "in plain sight"?
Add penalties for non-native language speakers.
A penalty for lack of information? Essentially going from "in plain sight" to "very obvious" and "not so obvious"
No body language, i.e. not looking at someone and having access to their voice only, might be -2. IQ+8
A phone call with average audio quality might warrant -4, a roll at IQ+6
A real-time text chat might be IQ+4, and so on.
>>
>>50972793
Body Language.
>>
>>50972983
Disadvantages would also play in to this. Oblivious would likely remove the +10 "in plain sight" equivalent.
>>
>>50972983

Come to think of it, Per is probably more appropriate than IQ.
>>
>>50973076
Ehhh RAW it's Per to detect something but IQ to understand/comprehend. I'd say it's IQ for this case.
>>
A player of mine wants an ability that will allow him to bestow power to other characters (But never player characters) and essentially use this to gain npc followers. I told him that giving them power would be fine with the flavor of his power, but that he wouldn't have a means to control their will. He agreed.

The question is what's the best way to do this in GURPS? My thought was to use Allies. Using the enhancement "Conjured" you can reflect both that your allies can never truly be killed, because you can always just endow someone else with the power instead, and it works out pretty nicely overall.

However, would the character by default be allowed to "dismiss" the boon? Or would he have to wait until the NPC which he gave his power died. Also, what would be an appropriate estimate of points. I figured 100% would be fair, since he could in theory gain really powerful or really helpless allies depending on who he gave the boon to.
>>
>>50973457
What power are they bestowing? Whatever power it is should probably be an Affliction with Extended Duration (Permanent). The +150% version means that it can be removed by some means, which works out for the PC dismissing the affliction. Removing the affliction by force would be Negated Advantage (Advantage that was afflicted).
>>
>>50972793
Detect Lies, Body Language, or Psychology. Perhaps at default. Probably with a pretty solid bonus (at least +4, this is pretty routine use). If they're working hard on their subtlety then one of the above without the bonus as a quick contest against their Acting.
>>
>>50973566
I don't want to price it as an affliction because it's not nearly going to be powerful enough to justify it. The player characters are all half-deities in power, and it would be the type of ability that could bestow a divine 'gift' to one player's followers
>>
>>50973617
You can adjust the price to be appropriate as the GM. I think Affliction with Extended Duration (Permament; Until I revoke my blessing, +150%) is much cleaner for what you want.

I assume you mean the Summonable enhancement for Ally. The problem with this is that the Ally would need to already have the boon on their character sheet. The PC isn't giving it to them, they're summoning an Ally that already has it. Removing it would still be an Affliction with Negated Advantage, or some sort of selective Static or Neutralize or what have you.
>>
>>50973701
There's a new enhancement called Conjured in Dungeon Fantasy: Summoners. The reason conjured works better is because it's priced to accommodate the fact that an ally can die with negligible consequence. If a conjured ally dies, you can conjure another.
Likewise a person who had this boon given to them would just lose the boon at death, and it could be given to someone else.

And I only consider the character an ally after they are given the power, hence calculating the cost of ally from that point on. I think it's clean enough, and it suits my purposes. It also has a much more clearly defined way of dealing with multiples of people that the power is bestowed upon.
>>
>>50973595

Detect Lies is Per-6, and it's a highly cinematic skill.
Body Language only defaults from Detect Lies and Psychology, so that one's out.
Psychology defaults from IQ-6.

With the +4 you're giving for routine use, the average person rolls at skill 8, and can therefore only detect sarcasm/doubt/sadness/anger about 25% of conversations.

Yeah... No. That's just not even close to right.
>>
>>50972983
>>50973003
>>50973595
Thank you all very much!
>>
>>50974047
What, exactly, in the description of Detect Lies in Basic even hints that it is cinematic?

The 'at least' bit was an important part of the '+4'. What an average person rolls against really has no bearing on the asked question. Congratulations on your finding the Probability of Success table nonetheless.

The penalties involved in defaulting don't in anyway preclude the character actually having the skill. Having the skill or defaulting to it are certainly "appropriate to roll against" which is what the original anon asked for.

Thanks for providing your interpretation of someone else's question. And for your baseless judgement of my answer. I welcome your further attempts but suggest you practice a bit of reading comprehension beforehand.
>>
>>50939191
>>50939363
>>50951939
>>50952238
>>50954406
>>50960524
>>50962089
I just made a GURPS discord group, except it's not a safe space.
invite your friends and family
or come by yourself and bully me
>https://discord.gg/a9H7WPJ
>>
>>50976209

>splitting the community

This is a bad idea.
>>
>>50976209

>hey it's the gurps discord but with less people b-b-b-ut you can post porn now!
>>
>>50976246
I'm not even joining this because fuck it, but, anon, for reall, all that bullshit were you can't even say 'fuck' is retarded. That 'original' GURPS discord is too much autistic for me
>>
>>50976230
America did it this year why not the GURPSGEN lurkers?
All kidding aside yeah it probably is a bad idea but it's already done.
>>
What's a good point level for a low level modern one shot? 50?
>>
>>50976399
Yeah 50 is good.
>>
File: 1454652998475.jpg (366KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1454652998475.jpg
366KB, 2048x1365px
>>50976399
I'd say 75-100 point total budget (so 50 points / 25 disadvantages, ect).

One shots I'm a bit more generous with points for a few reasons. The players won't be able to get and spend more later and if someone does make a character that is overpowered, it's not like you have to deal with it for very long.
>>
>>50976311

>the best gurpsters in the biz on tap to answer any and all questions
>"i can't say fuck or post futa porn abloo bloo bloo"
>>
>>50976626
There's a real question as to why it's so aggressively moderated when the GURPS community is hardly one filled with children.

It's not so much 'can't say fuck' as 'if you say fuck it drops your whole post'.
>>
>>50976708

This is something I brought up to the mods, and their response was "this is a temporary solution". Guess they need to get on that.
>>
>>50976708
>>50976626
A mod on there (willfully) got terminated from the staff team because he didn't kick someone for saying 'shit' or something just yesterday.
wew lad
>>
>>50976626
Well the safe space shit can be annoying friend. If you can't take name-calling or swearing how the fuck did you make it to adulthood?

As an on-topic question Has anyone done a Jack Reacher-esque GURPS campaign before, or have any idea what you'd use to make one that way? I'm talking the books not the movies.
>>50976708
Seriously?
>>
>>50976749
>Has anyone done a Jack Reacher-esque GURPS campaign before

Do you mean setting wise or just the concept of a fugitive in the distant future.
I've never watched the movie or read the books before but I assume that's what its about?
>>
>>50976749
There's a bot called mee6 and it automatically deletes any post with shit, fuck, etc. in it and has a message that says LANGUAGE! with an angry face that deletes within a second. So, yes, seriously. A lot of posts have been eaten by the fucking thing.

>>50976708
>>50976749
There are some kids on the server and the mods want to make it safe for them. From the server rules: "GURPS is, after all, a “family friendly” game, and we absolutely have at least a few minors who lurk and chat here. So, please, keep your language in “polite company” mode."
>>
>>50976820
>we absolutely have at least a few minors who lurk and chat here. So, please, keep your language in “polite company” mode."
I have a nephew in 3rd grade that hears more cussing at school than I do on 4chan.
baka
>>
>>50976789
Jack Reacher is modern day mystery novels where an ex-military policemen investigates things and solves problems with a mix of cleverness and brutal fucking violence.

The books and movies are worth a look. The movies are a bit of an odd duck, Curse is, physically, a poor match for the book's Reacher (whom is a very large man) but he does a decent job and is one of the few producers willing to do them, so it's alright with me.

I've done modern games, but never mystery/action mixes like that.
>>
>>50976789
No former military cop hobo somebody pisses on him figuratively then he starts investigating and then deals out harsh frontier style justice, pay evil unto evil type shit also this>>50976911

I want to know how to put that together into a setting and make a campaign out of it.
>>
>>50976911
Wow I was way off.
But I could get behind a campaign like that.

I'd start off looking over the Action books and as always High-Tech is a good resource for gadgets and weapons.
Maybe start off with a movie-esque plot hook like "a diplomat was murdered and you have 2 days to find the killer before we release the news."
You can also go the Taken route with either a PC's or a client's family member going missing/abducted.
>>
>>50976820

>family friendly game
>rules for contagious virus that turn men into sexy, horny catgirls

Nothing is family friendly with Pulver around.
>>
>>50976861
Yeah I knew pretty much every swear word by the time I was 9, and there's little about sex or violence I didn't know by 12, of course i'm unusual in that when i asked my parents a question they answered it honestly and to the best of their knowledge.
>>
>>50976820
Nah, this is just excuse. In the first days it was "occasional swearing is fine, just don't overdo it". And then either some retard cursed too much or mook was hit by a car and decided to build safe space for no particular reason.
Regardless there are retards who can't control themselves, but guess what, acting like hysterical crybaby won't change anything.
>>
>>50976984
I question how it's supposed to be family friendly when killing is a major component of most GURPS games. Is wanton slaughter of orcs and goblins considered family friendly now? There's a play example where a PC is getting hacked to death by orcs. Not in graphic detail, but all the same.
>>
>>50976980
NO gadgets he is set literally 2016, uses military knowledge and tools form his training starting in the cold war and reaching just past desert storm. Usually the most sophisticated tool he uses is a Beretta or M-16, Reacher is also an army sniper that won the Wimbledon, it is very firmly grounded in reality.
>>
>>50977064
well I just mean general stuff like walkie talkies and home made bullets and shit.
Remember that GURPS is all about options. Don't like something, forget it. Like something, use it.
>>
>>50977064
High-Tech dude, not Ultra-Tech. Plus "gadget" covers lots of totally realistic stuff, not just James Bond's bullshit jetpack underwear.
>>
>>50977107
Oh yeah, I know but I'm the guy who asked, didn't realise in GURps Modern stuff was HIgh Tech.
>>50977119
When I think High Tech I think Fallout Pre-Great War didn't realize it covered modern Day haven't had a chance to read it yet and i'm new to GURPS.
>>
>>50977044

Americans are fucked up and think fighting, killing and ultraviolence is family-friendly, but blush and call the polis if you even so much as imply that people might make babies in the privacy of their own home, with the lights out in the missionary position after getting married.
>>
>>50977192
I'm American and am not like that. Don't generalize us by our fucking retarded super religious people.
>>
>>50977233
I think he meant our media industry.
Don't forget that 'fuck' is allowed only in rated R movies, and only at least 1-2 times in PG-13 movies
>>
>>50977233

I'm talking about movies, anon. American films are full of violence and killing but the slightest inkling of sex beyond a handsy kiss and some neck-smooching gets people in a panic about morals and the media ruining their children. Americans seem to be immensely worried that their kids might learn about sex from media, but totally fine for them to learn mass murder from it.
>>
File: 1408020202161.png (160KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
1408020202161.png
160KB, 464x470px
>>50977233
Because everyone knows the Hollywood film writers and directors are total puritan prudes
>>
>>50977251
Yeah but, Australia and Britains rating systems can be worse, also we didn't vote on the Hays Code or the MSRP rating system, and all that shit that held the Film industry back for a long time.
>>50977299
I get your point Man,sorry if i came across as cross, but I see a lot of hate for America/n's on 4chan and elsewhere that, most of it's population didn't really have a say in whether it became a thing.or not.
>>
Anybody got any more ideas on the Jack Reacher question?
>>
>>50979913
Action is a good start for character design and general campaign format (e.g. what rules to use, level of detail, determining difficulty, stuff like that).

Check out both Mysteries and Monster Hunters 2: The Mission. Mysteries has some good catch-all advice for running mystery games that are fun i.e. not the group playing "guess what the GM is thinking" or "the investigation comes to a halt since you didn't roll well enough to notice this vital clue" for a session and a half. MH2 has a framework for investigations that I personally love and use whenever possible. Basically, all investigations are trying to answer five questions: Who, What, When, Where, and Why. MH2 has you roll against relevant skills when trying to answer one of those questions, and those skill rolls are at a *huge* penalty that you slowly chip away at by discovering clues; find a clue, get a +1 to deduction rolls, roll to find the answer, repeat as necessary.

If you've got an experienced group, Martial Arts can bring some extra beatdown mechanics, though Action 3 touches on this already (albeit in the game's typical less-than-detailed fashion).
>>
>>50980254
Okay, so Action Mystery and Monster Hunters 2, with likely Martial Arts? Okay, any other suggestions? I'd honestly be going for the same you and your wits versus the enemy feel the Reacher books have,
>>
>>50980343
Honestly, my only experience with Reacher is the film, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

That being said, if battle of wits is your game, I think you should take a peek at Pyramid #3/53 Action's article "I've Got a Great Idea," which helps players mechanically represent weeks of in-character planning without them spending a whole session planning their actions out in excruciating detail. It still requires some foresight on behalf of the players, but it keeps the game going instead of stopping it dead in its tracks because the players want to continually tweak their plan until they have a 100% chance of success. The article is written with heists in mind in the vein of Ocean's Eleven, but it can just as easily be used to plan a raid, assassination, or "forceful extraction" mission. The same issues also has an article that covers dealing with law enforcement, which may be useful depending on your setting's austerity.

Lastly, there's Tactical Shooting; it's the gunplay-focused counterpart to Martial Arts, and it comes with the same caveat that it should only be included if you have an experienced group; the level of detail the optional rules cover will impede rather than enhance a newbie's enjoyment of the game.

Personal advice time: Don't be afraid to mix the realistic and the cinematic. From what I remember, Reacher is a totally realistic character in terms of ability (very high skill levels but no cinematic techniques, perks, or skills like Whirlwind Attack, Bank Shot, or Zen Marksmanship) but the world operates on cinematic logic (mostly mook rules, but especially Mook Etiquette). This lets the players feel very grounded like operators operating operationally but doesn't risk them looking like bloody Swiss cheese after every single combat encounter.
>>
>>50981069
Speaking In the movie version you're right, but the books are at least 99% grounded in reality with perhaps Reachers weirdly good luck accounting for any unrealistic things which don't often happen actually.
>>
How would you do something like the Percy Jackson series in GURPS? I mean both before and after the Roman gods were introduced.
>>
File: 1400663745173.jpg (256KB, 500x694px) Image search: [Google]
1400663745173.jpg
256KB, 500x694px
>>50983857
I've only seen the movies, but you could easily do this by allowing characters to take thematic powers based on their divine heritage. A Zeus demigod might get inhuman might and lightning powers, where you could inherit wisdom and skill at arms from Athena. I'd let players justify a pretty wide set of powers from their godly parent.
>>
>>50975441
>What, exactly, in the description of Detect Lies in Basic even hints that it is cinematic?
The ability to detect lies just by having a casual conversation with someone.
Humans cannot do that.

It it was a real skill you could train, the CIA and foreign equivalents wouldn't have spent untold amounts of tax-payer money trying to develop truth-serums and the like. If detect lies was a real skill, there would never have been any need for interrogation (which in itself is an extremely unreliable skill in real life, and tends to give poor results at best.). If detect lies was a real skill, police investigations and the like would be a LOT smoother, just round up the suspects and have your expert talk to them until he's figured who's lying about what.

>The penalties involved in defaulting don't in anyway preclude the character actually having the skill.
As a general rule, if you find yourself in a scenario where the vast, vast majority of a population would be trained in what you believe is a skill, it probably shouldn't be a skill. See for example driving, most people don't have driving skill, but still drive cars. Can write, but don't have writing skill. And so on.
>>
>>50981069
>Personal advice time: Don't be afraid to mix the realistic and the cinematic. From what I remember, Reacher is a totally realistic character in terms of ability (very high skill levels but no cinematic techniques, perks, or skills like Whirlwind Attack, Bank Shot, or Zen Marksmanship) but the world operates on cinematic logic (mostly mook rules, but especially Mook Etiquette).

I've only seen the first film, but from what I remember most of the opposition were criminal thugs with the appropriate skill level for mostly realistic criminal thugs, i.e. pathetic. Obviously as a film it is by definition cinematic, but I think it works fine without any 'cinematic' rules.
>>
>>50981216
That's what I mean. Another example is John Wick; everything he does is realistic with high skill levels, mundane advantages, and realistic techniques; he's not Neo, John Preston, or T-800. However, he mows down hordes of enemies without much trouble, effort, or risk. The enemies come at him at the same pace he can take them out instead of swarming or flanking him (at least effectively). That's a cinematic universe; there's even a rule (sort of) specifically for it -- Melee Etiquette but applied to gun-toting mooks. Other rules like Cannon Fodder, Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy, and TV-Action Violence are also in effect (though the last is debatable).

The final result is a film with a protag that is not over the top or considered unrealistic (because he really isn't), but the film manages to keep the action moving at an unrealistic breakneck pace through cinematic assumptions.
>>
>>50984681
>Humans cannot do that.
Yes. You have made your opinion abundantly clear with your excessive exposition. None of which has any bearing on the asked question or the rules of the game the question was concerning.

As a general rule, if you find yourself with an inability to cite a reference in response to a rules question you are not actually citing a rule. While your opinion may be perfectly valid it is still an opinion that disagrees with the published framework under discussion.

I'm going to assume your non sequitur and reading comprehension difficulties are due to English not being your native language.
>>
>>50987366
>Yes. You have made your opinion abundantly clear with your excessive exposition. None of which has any bearing on the asked question or the rules of the game the question was concerning.
What are you even talking about? Whether a normal human can do it or not is *exactly* what defines a skill as cinematic or realistic, and it is *exactly* what you asked for with:
>What, exactly, in the description of Detect Lies in Basic even hints that it is cinematic?

Is that not a good enough reference for you?

Would a quote from Kromm Almighty do it? Kromm himself calls it "rubber realism" on the same level as Karate and Autohypnosis.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1863537&postcount=17
>>
>>50988024
>Whether a normal human can do it or not is *exactly* what defines a skill as cinematic or realistic, and it is *exactly* what you asked for with:

That is not at all what the definition of cinematic is either in the game or in English nor is it what I asked.

In the off chance you are not just a troll and cherry picking what supports your view consider *in the description of Detect Lies* to be the key part of my sentence you quoted, not *exactly* even though that was important also. Similarly, look at the skills and aspects of skills and other traits that are called out as cinematic then note that Detect Lies doesn't have that. Does that mean every skill without warning is cinematic is not? No. It means the game is based on verisimilitude not simulation.

I refer you to B488 where the game defines cinematic. It neither means "whether a normal human can do it or not" nor "of or relating to motion pictures" in the context of this game.

>Is that not a good enough reference for you?
Perfectly good. As it supports my points and views when not taken out of context as you have. Here is the relevant portion:

>I agree with both of those comments. Honestly, as much as people like to geek out and attack the skill as "unrealistic," it's on the same level of rubber realism as Karate letting you parry swords barehanded or Autohypnosis negating all pain and fatigue effects. At the same time, it doesn't make sense for everyone to have it . . . any more than it makes sense for every thug to have Karate and every spy to know Autohypnosis. I've found that fudging Fast-Talk as "a high IQ only for fibbing" and Detect Lies as "a high IQ only for not being lied to" (yes, I know it's Per-based) works well enough in actual play.

It is pretty self-evident he is not painting it with the same brush as, say, wire-fu.

I'm done with you. You aren't worth the wear and tear on my keyboard.
>>
I've heard a lot of good things about GURPS, but never played in it nor ran a game of it. I had an idea for running a game in the style of the Monster Hunter games, which if you are unfamiliar are a Japanese video game series revolving around hunting and butchering monsters and using their parts to make new gear to fight harder monsters and repeat the cycle. Is this something that would be a good idea to run in GURPS, and if so, what books should I read?

Some key points about the series: there's a huge variety of gear you can make and many consumables that provide very relevant temporary buffs. Harvesting non-monster resources is also very important. Finally, when it comes to fighting the monsters themselves, the fights tend to be somewhat difficult and with a large focus on targeting certain body parts to attain "break-offs", aka body parts that can only be harvested if you cut them off in combat, such as tails or horns, etc.

As a side note, I would probably inject a bit more setting/plot stuff than the actual video game series has, but leave the core premise the same.
>>
>>50989206
>to attain "break-offs", aka body parts that can only be harvested if you cut them off in combat, such as tails or horns, etc.
Why can't you harvest them after killing the beast?
>>
>>50989244
it's a video game.
>>
>>50989244
>>50989276
As this guy says, yeah, just video game logic to make it more challenging. If I were to maintain that mechanic I would probably have to fluff something either magic about it ("must be taken from a still living beast"), or a non-magical version of that somehow, or reduce it to simply being a method of limiting the monster's attacks (a monster without a tail can't use their dangerous tail swipe etc.)
>>
>>50989206
Basic Set already covers targeting specific hit locations and using cumulative damage damage to track when the area is crippled and/or dismembered. Martial Arts *does* add to this, but I do not recommend the book for new groups, especially ones led by new GMs.

Low-Tech is essentially a gear catalog, and Low-Tech Companion 2 gives rules for customizing weapons. Covering elemental damage or status effects will require some homebrew but I strongly recommend reading "The Material Difference" from Pyramid #3/66 "The Laws of Magic." The article is meant to cover breaking down items for magical essences to fuel your own enchantments as opposed to taking six months off of adventuring to enchant an item from scratch, but it's easily convertible into a MonHun crafting system (e.g. instead of crushing rubies to help give a sword a flaming enchantment, you use Rathalos parts to craft a sword that deal extra fire damage).

Low-Tech Companion 3 gives fairly in-depth rules for foraging if you really want to simulate catching Carpenter Beetles.

Check out "Dungeon Brewmaster" from Pyramid #3/82 "Magical Creations" for rules that allow for potions and other concoctions to be made without requiring weeks of downtime and a fully-stocked laboratory.

Lastly, be careful of making monsters too powerful. In MonHun, getting OHKO'd is annoying, but you get three attempts, and even if you fail, all you've lost is some time, zenny, and probably some consumables. Unless you plan on making your campaign *very* gamist, that won't happen in a TTRPGs; death will be a very real possibility, so at the beginning err on the side of too easy. On that note, one final Pyramid article for you is "Combat Write Large" from #3/77 "Combat." It's all about making and fighting big monsters, from area attacks due to large size (Ziggy's backslam) to incidental damage (fucking Rathalos rotations) to clambering over monsters.
>>
>>50991486
Crap, forgot armor. Armor skills are 100% gamist and I see no reason to convert them to a system that allows for characters to learn skills on their own. Elemental resistances aren't really a thing in GURPS (Normally DR stops burning damage as well as it does crushing), but you could also use the rules from "The Material Difference" to not!enchant armor pieces with various resistances.

Ditch specific monster parts for general amounts (e.g. $500 worth of Lagiacrus parts) because grinding in a TTRPG is ass. Maybe require one specific piece per piece of equipment; having to hunt for eight shells, four tails, and a wing is annoying, but requiring a wing from a monster to make its greatsword is much more doable.

Oh, and as always, new GMs should read "How to Be a GURPS GM."
>>
Could a TL 8 Nation defeat a TL 10 Nation?
>>
>>50992603
What do they have? What are they like?
>>
>>50991486
>>50991610
Thanks for the advice, anon. If I end up going forward with this idea I'll check those out.
>>
>>50992603
'Victory' and 'Defeat' isn't about technology anon, it's about context. So what's the context?
>>
>>50992603

Transhuman Space US, versus current US.

While the former is notably superior in every respect, both sides are still nuclear powers - so for that reason (among others) the conflict isn't simply a matter of tech level disparity.
>>
>>50984681
>>50988933

It's possible to have a strong feeling that someone is hiding something or lying. Detect Lies and Body Lanauge can give you a hint that someone isn't being truthful, but..

Everyone lies, all the time.

Trying to sort out why someone is lying about, or what exact part of their statement is a lie, is impossible. You can't just Encyclopedia Brown assume someone is GUILTY because you've caught them in one statement that is a lie. People say things that aren't true because they are embarrass or confused all the time.

>"You said you weren't at the club on Saturday, but we've got you on tape!"

"I know I wasn't there Saturday, I ran home to watch The Walking Dead after work"

>"That.. that's on Sundays. You aren't a killer. You are just a fucking moron"

"I can be two things!"
>>
>>50995944
This, definitely this.
>>
What methods to you use to organise various adventures/npcs in your campaigns?
>>
>>50999649
I keep a catalogue of NPCs and Quests with minor details/summaries.

Then when I need one I just find the full stats/details on my phone.
>>
>>51000581
I mostly mean programs and stuff like that, Evernote, OneNote, Dropbox, etc.
>>
>>51000594
I use GCS to make the NPCs but besides that I organize their PDFs and quest notes in folders.
>>
To those familiar with Ritual Path Magic, I have two questions regarding how to properly represent spells.

1. The ability to magnify one's voice a hundred-fold or even a thousand-fold. Obviously, Penetrating Voice will be part of the package (if nothing else than to claim the +1 bonus to Intimidation), but the effect is far greater than the perk alone is able to replicate.
>>
>>51000866

2. What is the easiest/best way to replicate "Doesn't Eat or Drink" with a RPM charm? I have characters that will be exploring a desert and I want to ensure that their mounts will be able to survive without sustenance.
>>
>>51000876
Why charm? Just add enough duration to spell and you won't need to bother with it. Or make bunch of charms that create food.
>>
>>51000954

It must be a charm.
>>
>>51000866

This really depends on what you mean. The results would be cool.. and at the same time, maybe way less impressive then you might think.

100 times the power in your voice pretty much takes you to ~85dB*. This is enough power speak to a small autotourm without amplification.

1000 times is ~ 90dB. You could totally drown out other conversation and fill a music hall with about 250 feet with sound. Your screams could, at this level, cause hearing loss and physical pain.

*A human can scream/yell louder then this, but it's physically stressful and can only be briefly sustained. If you want to be understood across a distance deeper is better.
>>
>>51000866

It's just a simple AoE effect if it isn't intended to cause harm.

Something like:

>Demagogue
>Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Energy.
>Inherent Modifiers: Area Of Effect.
>Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

>Sustains the speaker's voice across a broad area, without need to amplify its volume.

>This Casting: Lesser Strengthen Energy (3) + Area Of Effect, 500 yards (28). 31 energy (31×1).
>>
>>50999649

Notepad, and I organize my notes into neat little lines and groups across 1/4th of my desktop.
>>
>>50999649
Pen and a notebook son. I play by the same rules as the rest of my group -- no phones, tablets, or laptops at the table. Admittedly, I do have to transcribe some stuff from my laptop as I'll occasionally make some notes/do a bit of designing on slow days at work, but even then that's just in leafpad/notepad/textedit/watevs.
>>
>>50938756
story time?
>Party to investigate spooky mansion
>Don't get very far inside, clear out some skeletons, figure the place is a dump.
>"Magical items tend to be hard to destroy, we'll just burn it down and search the rubble"
>There's a Lich inside with dimensional magic studying a portal to another realm in the basement.
>Hilarity ensues as party steps back watching the place burn when they spot figure in dark robes fleeing the house.
>Party member tackles him, goes comatose after critically failing fright check.
>Next dungeon was made of stone.

>>50943655
I prefer to set up "starter character point packages" similar to D&D for newer players. Let's say starting fantasy char is 100-125 points, I guide them through character creation with a 10 point background, and 25-30 point initial skill set. So you may get something akin to "Fighter who grew up on the streets" 10 points of street urchin background package shit (2 streetwise IQ, 2 pickpocket DX-1, 2 stealth DX, 4 survival urban PER+1). 25 points of fighter (Combat reflexes, 4 points combat skill, 4 points combat skill, 2 points fast-draw.... and from there let/help them build. 35 points, that's enough to set a mold for your character.
>>
File: 1449419022449.jpg (504KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449419022449.jpg
504KB, 1920x1080px
Sick as hell and using the day to write out bizarre ideas because I am loaded on cold drugs. Can't find a better thread, but I use GURPS, so, someone with common sense or science explain to me if it would be at all possible to have a setup with a habitable planet that safe-distance orbits a black hole that also has a shitload of suns having light drained into it. Like a planet that survives in a stream of heat and light from the orbit of the suns. Even if the planet itself is doomed to eventual event horizon death some distant day.
>>
>>51008771

No. Not in the sense that I imagine you imagine.

Every sun in every galaxy already orbits a black hole - the massive black hole at the center of the galaxy.
The vast majority of them have stable "safe" orbits and won't ever fall below the horizon or fall out into the cold emptiness between galaxies.

A planet out in the empty space between stars (one that's been thrown out of it's solar system, perhaps) would also orbit that same black hole, but it wouldn't be habitable - you'd only ever get as much light as the stars give you, which isn't much.

Even if you're very near a black hole (like you probably imagine), where the galaxy is denser and there are a lot of nearby stars, it's just not dense enough that the nearby stars could feed you the light you need.
Think about it - Earth and Mars are inside the habitable zone, the sun gives us enough energy that life is sustainable. But go as far out as Jupiter or Saturn, and there's just not enough light, not by a long shot, Neptune already is below -200 degrees Celsius, you *need* to be close to a sun or sun-system, a large amount of still-distant stars just won't cut it.
>>
File: tumblr_mv4xzeY20g1qhttpto3_1280.jpg (821KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mv4xzeY20g1qhttpto3_1280.jpg
821KB, 849x1200px
>>51009220
I know. That's why I'm asking the absolute improbable of a big cluster of suns of whatever strengths at an absolute close to where light begins to fall in, and within that cluster is a planet that ends up in an unusual Goldilocks zone between all these solar orbits and bits of light being drawn in.

I guess a black hole of that strength would just be pocketing any such cluster if it was close enough to start streaming bits of light in.

A lot of the thought experiment is just for design ideas relating to extreme and exotic planetary life zones that have some probability of happening, and/or ones with unusual amounts of varied light.
>>
>>51008771
Just have the star orbit a black hole, and the planet orbits the star.
>>
File: 1468879820241.jpg (125KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1468879820241.jpg
125KB, 1131x1600px
>>51009612
Oh, I already got that down. I'm just trying to think of even more unusual or improbable setups. Shit like 'could a planet have life and safely orbit something like the massive stream of light and hell that gouts out of a quasar in place of a sun'
>>
>>51009699
It couldn't orbit the gas stream. It's not massive enough. Mass orbits mass (or, more accurately, barycenters).

In your imaginings try to think of things that will produce a long (a couple or a few billion years) period of warmth (at least enough so that water isn't always solid). If you can get those two things together, no matter how bizarre everything else is, you'll have a good chance at life.

There was a blog early last year that ran though solar system design. . . Here it is:
>https://planetplanet.net/2014/05/13/building-the-ultimate-solar-system/
It's not as far fetched as you are going but maybe it will be of some use.
>>
>>51009938
Oh wow. This is excellent stuff, thanks. But yeah, a lot of my questions and thinking is of theoretical ways you could have enough radiation for warmth on a planetoid that could harbor life, whatever the source - i.e. is it possible to have a planet that exists in the light and heat sinking into a black hole from several orbiting stars, etc.

Another thought is what is the brightest/hottest sun you can have to allow a planet in a life zone orbit to essentially speedrun life before it dies. Imagine coming into this era and finding out your star only has a few hundred/thousand years left.
>>
>>51010062
Math can pretty much answer (or at least make good strong guesses towards) all of your questions.

The main problem I see with your black hole planetoid is precisely with radiation. So, if you recast your question into an equivalent one, maybe look at red dwarf variability and see what issues that posses for life.

A side problem is that for there to be enough heat received by your planetoid as stars fall past it is that they have to be close. Close enough to disturb your own (presumably) stable orbit in a way that does nasty things to stability. Before too long you'll be flung out of the system or into the hole. And you'll probably soak a lot of hard x-rays on the way.

As far as that speedrun goes you'd need a huge star for that lifespan and that means high variability and lots of radiation. And that's assuming that complex life could even arise in the time available in the stars life. Not impossible but wildly, astonishingly, unlikely.
>>
Is no-one else keeping this thread alive?

How would I do a Dark Souls-like world in GURPS?
>>
>>51012712
Havens & Hells plus the video game dungeon fantasy article (both in Pyramid)
>>
>>51001295

Are abilities needed to counteract the deleterious effects of powers/spells you yourself invoke (such as Protected Hearing in this instance), or are you automatically immune to any realistic harmful side-effect?
>>
>>51002576

Might one also allow a Perk to be stacked multiple times?

Someone with Penetrating Voice 3 is going to be heard from quite a ways away and be fairly imposing (+3 to Intimidation).
>>
>>51012712
The key to getting a good DS vibe is effective use of NPCs that are mad, tragic, or both. Somewhere on my external I saved a bunch of Soulsian NPCs from a /tg/ thread. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was a great and noble knight out to do whatever was necessary to protect the people. The party later finds his body amongst the ruble of a collapsed bridge; in the end, the proud knight could not even sell his life for a greater cause.
>>
>>51014723
I'll keep that in mind, what about the abilities and magical side of things aside from what that anon above said?
>>
>>51012712

If you want to emulate the dark souls videogame, I'd pass on Magic (the system), that's all I can say on that end..

Dark Souls is brutal with the consequences of mistakes. It's gritty. But it's definitely not unfair it's also very easy, come on guys. It's a game that makes no fuss about defeat. The first game put it in the back cover: 'prepare to die'. It wasn't a challenge, or a warning; death is a tool in this game, and you're gonna be using it often. Sometimes mistakes cost you a lot, but they never cost you anything you can't regain. Sometimes the only way to overcome a challenge is to fail it first. It puts the decision to play it safe or take risks in your hands and rewards and punishes you accordingly. It frustrates with the purpose of engaging you. And despite appearances, it never gives you more than you can chew (even if it means chewing for a long time).

I'm not saying these qualities are super original or new, but DS has them and puts them all together into something fun.

In the way of a to-tabletop conversion, things are gonna get lost in translation. But I think some valuable qualities can be retained. In the videogame, the actual consequences of faliure are almost nonexistant. This is of course, videogame logic, in every other videogame, when you lose you just reload. DS just makes the formality quicker. Tabletop games in general hate this attitude because there's an expectation to an overarching story, a continuity to success and failure. The solution is to stop treating death as failure. Do what the game did, treat death as a learning experience, it's a short term consequence, a hiccup at most. Put the weight in decisions instead. You make those matter in the long term and you have yourself a story. You can bake it into the setting and everything. I already had two ideas: time travel when they die, or, unless they all die at the same time, they revive shortly after death. Actually, those sound workable.
>>
File: clone5.jpg (132KB, 640x838px) Image search: [Google]
clone5.jpg
132KB, 640x838px
I am thinking about trying myself at GMing. I want to run simple Action game (one or two sessions): just sneak/break in, shoot bad guys, extract target, escape. Would anyone interested here?
>>
>>51020148
i'm interested
>>
>>51020148
Should have add more information, so...
Players are bunch of mercenaries and were hired to free not-murican citizens from slave traders in the middle of nowhere. Nothing of this is official, so not-murican government won't help much. People are kept on tanker, about dozen or so of them.

On crunch side. I'm using Action 1 and 2, so standard 250 points templates.
Assassin, Infiltrator, Medic and Shooter will fit just fine. I think I can find a place for Hacker/Wire Rat to deal with security tech. Not much job for the rest.
Oh, and this is text-only game.

>>51020421
What's your timezone? I am in GMT+10, and can run at any time of day for the next few weeks.
>>
>>51020978
I'd also be available the next few weeks. How are you running it?
>>
>>51021275
I hesitate between using Roll20 or just playing in discord chat. Perhaps no tactical map anyway.
>>
>>51009326
>close to where light begins to fall in
What do you mean? The black hole affects light the same way any object with mass in the universe does. Light lenses towards the black hole due to it's mass, but light also "falls in" towards suns, planets, even apples, the same way. This happens regardless of distance.
A black hole doesn't magically "absorb" nearby light or anything of the sort, in that regard it's the same as any really heavy object.

>I guess a black hole of that strength would just be pocketing any such cluster if it was close enough to start streaming bits of light in.
It's more the issue that all those suns would have to be so close to each other they'd tear each other apart and/or collapse into one giant star.
Let's look at Neptune, the inverse square law (one over distance squared) tells us how much sunlight Neptune gets compared to Earth. Keeping it simple, Earth is 1 Astronomical Unit from the sun, and we get 1 "healthy, life-supporting dose of sunlight".
Neptune is 30 Astronomical Units from the sun, and therefore gets a measly 1/900th of our healthy, life-supporting sunlight.

So for a planet orbiting a black hole to be as life-supporting as Earth, you need 900 Sol-sized suns keeping an average distance of 30 astronomical units.
To look at it another way, if the planet is in the "center", you need 900 Sol-sized suns on a radius as large as our solar system.

Speaking of black holes, here's a scenario for your thought-experiment:
What would life on a Neutron star be like?
With atomic forces in place of molecular bonds.
>>
How would you create a parahuman species which is supposed to be matriarchal?
>>
>>51021501
Just use the lesbian Diana
>>
>>51021747
Diana is only for women. I'm not sure how to make the men.
>>
>>51021501

"Zero-point Quirk: Tends towards matriarchal societies."

It's not a big deal.

And without any other details on what you want from them, being parahuman means nothing.
>>
>>51021890

Use Diana parahumans modified so that female children are Dianas, male children are Helots (the slave race parahumans on page 67 of Bio-Tech).
>>
>>51021501

Here's my thoughts:
Well, if I'm making parahumans, I'm TL10 advanced as fuck. If I'm so advanced I can create functioning animal/human hybrids, I can easily flip a few genetic switches to support a matriarchy.
Creating matriarchal humans would be easier than matriarchal parahumans, "donor species" doesn't matter.

So the question then becomes, WHY do I want a matriarchy?
A matriarchal society doesn't have any advantages or indeed distinguishing features compared to a patriarchal one, and for some reason I don't want to try something progressive like creating a truly meritocratic society or one where every person is a hermaphrodite.
This means I didn't create the species for science or the betterment of (para)mankind, my motives are probably rooted in religion, satire or intentional counter-culture. This means the donor-species would probably have some symbolic value. Hyena is an obvious one. Space-gnolls.

Of course, for them to be able to express their matriarchal tendencies they'll probably need to be fairly isolated from humankind at large, otherwise they'll just neatly integrate into whatever the transhuman civilization around them looks like.

So:
>Eccentric Gigazillionaire buys a planet or moon
>has a fraction of their company create the parahuman species
>sets them up on the moon with limited connection to the rest of humanity (they'll be given resources, corporation-approved education, etc.).
>Gigazillionaire has a laugh, "See? They're just as primitive and backwards as I said they'd be!" or "Women may be oppressed in the rest of the galaxy, but at least on *my* planet they're the kings!"
>Gigazillionaire gets bored and moves on to another pet project.

>300 years later the Gigazillionaire's company is liquidated.
>the planet with it's parahumans are let loose, without a corporate-funded blockade they spread out into space and clash with the rest of humanity
>They're united under the flag of "Spacefaring Jingoistic Women", or SJW for short.
>>
>>51021975

Just FYI, you seem to have misunderstood what "parahuman" means. Bio-Tech defines it as a human with genetic alterations significant enough to make breeding with baseline humans difficult or impossible. Essentially they're "new species" of humans. It has nothing to do with transgenic animal features; those are more accurately called something like "chimeric parahumans".
>>
>>51022073

Oh I see, that is a very good definition.
It solves the issue with what you'd otherwise call a new species of human and is more descriptive than the more general definition.

I guess my post still stands mostly unchanged, though. If the parahumans are so distant that breeding with us is difficult/impossible we could be mid- to late TL9 rather than TL10, and fundamentally flawed ideologies would probably still have a stronger foothold.

The matriarchal parahumans in question might have *literally* been made by 22th wave feminists.
>>
>>51020978
Are you in Brisbane?
>>
Don't die
>>
GURPS: Action + Pyramid #3/22's "Console Cowboys and Cyberspace Kung Fu" = Babby's first cyberpunk campaign??
>>
>>51031672
I honestly could never figure out how you're supposed to set up a machine's defenses with CC&CKF; as far as I can tell, you need to dedicate at least half of your machine's complexity to running a dizzyingly intricate network of Listen, Search, Analyze, and ICE programs all connected together with a bajillion Trigger programs.
>>
>>50938756

Two questions...

1) How can I best use Bioroids in a game?

2) How well do GURPS fantasy npcs and mobsters balance against human partial cyborgs & human total cyborgs?
>>
>>51035031
>2) How well do GURPS fantasy npcs and mobsters balance against human partial cyborgs & human total cyborgs?
Well, a 300-point TL8 RPM mobster with Ritual Adept specializing in Path of Matter is going to make their existence pain. The TL10 space elf with a storm rifle full of HEMP is going to make them learn the meaning of fear. The TL2 village with a population of 500 25-point farmers will ruin their day with sheer numbers and auxillary tactics taught by the Empire's military.

Context, please?
>>
>>50999649
I keep most of my stuff in a google doc.
>>
>>50999649
Personal wiki.
>>
You guys got any good ideas for an Infinite Worlds plot? Any favourite tropes or reversal of tropes you like to do?

What other modules do you use together with it?
>>
>>51036621

>the Nazis developed the atom bomb during WW2
>the Allies also developed it
>WW2 slows down into a cold war
>Nazi Germany eventually destabilises and disintegrates like the Soviets
>Germany is a weird patchwork of shitty demi-states like post-Soviet Asia
>Reich-5 agents are trying to reunite the post-Nazi countries to restart WW2 and finish the job
>>
I've never played any rpgs except rules lite one shots, and I'm going to GM a gurps game. I'm going to use gurps 4+horror, mysteries, and some assorted rules from the monster hunter books. How do you keep track of which rules you're using. Do you write it out or memorize it? Any tips for a new GM or those new to Gurps? My players have even less experience than I do with RPGs.
>>
How should I role play a Transhuman Space Bioroid? In what subtle ways do their minds differ from humans?
>>
>>51039282

Write it out, if you must. Three sessions in your memory WILL fail and you'll start misremembering.

If you've got a good group who aren't tryhards you can just wing it as you go along, though. The more obscure rules aren't likely to come up more than once or twice anyway.
>>
>>51039306

I'm not that familiar with Transhuman Space, in what way do they differ from normal bioroids?
>>
>>51039306

Setting aside product model differences, bioroids grow up without parents. They grow up in big enclaves where everyone is genetically identical and of the same age. They are tutored by AI:s. They often have a personal AI sitting over their shoulder instructing them in how to behave until they are "mature" enough to handle society on their own. They are often viewed as property. They have no say in their own future.
>>
>>51039811

What about one that has been around for ten years? Furthermore, how does their physical aging contrast with humans?

My game will take place in a United States space habit.
>>
>>51039282
Read "How to Be a GURPS GM." It's a fucking lifesaver and should answer most questions. If you're new to GMing in general, also read "Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering" as it is jam-packed full of solid advice. Lastly, take a look at the Five-Room Dungeon adventure design theory; it's a great first step to making fun adventures.

Templates make everything easier; for people with experience in other systems, mandatory templates are close enough to classes that they feel comfortable, and for new people, templates give a lot of direction in terms of character designs and keeps them from diving into the huge list of advantages, disadvantages, and skills and suffocating from all the options.

Never ever ever give disposable NPCs character sheets; it's a huge waste of your time. They have exactly five stats: DR, Skill, Defense, Damage, and Move. Anything beyond that and a few advantages for special abilities is unnecessary. More important enemies should get a full statblock, and important NPCs probably warrant a character sheet, but don't kill yourself fully statting out every goblin, skeleton, street thug, or imp.

Trying to remember everything I wish people had told me before I started GMing. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post it later.
>>
>>51040176

Depends. I don't remember what the transhuman space said about how long it takes to tutor a bioroid. But if we assume "ten years since it was released from corporate oversight", I think transhuman space says the bioroid would likely have developed a few idiosyncrasies that sets it apart from everyone else of its product model at the time.

That's a funny thing by the way. You are a product model. You got shitton of twins you haven't kept track off. There might be literally dozens of people with your face and basic genetic tendencies on the same station.

As for aging, most bioroids are rapidly aged. They come out as "fully grown" and then undergo rapid tutoring.
>>
>>51041027

I'll keep that mechanized copy aspect in mind for the game's mysteries. Though I image my character might try to stand out from her "siblings."

Would a ten year old bioroid look approximately like a 28 year old human?

I found the following source on Bioroids--and other sapient non-humans--in the United States.

>Bioroid control laws were only passed in a handful of states, and were quickly brought before the Supreme Court and thrown out. Eventually compromise legislation passed in all states (under Federal pressure), declaring that bioroids were legally children from assembly until reaching the legal age of majority, usually eighteen years.
This was less than a full victory for the pan-sapient rights organizations; to this day they are trying to have bioroids be declared adults much more quickly, on the order of a few years instead of many.

Source: http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=3004

Therefore, I'll make my character 18 years old and change her social stigma to reflect her having more autonomy as an adult while none-the-less. That said, however, she still might occasionally be mistaken for younger copies of her model.
>>
>>51041615

Shady corps will bypass the law by making the bioroids work as part of their "tutoring". She could also be a non-american bioroid that somehow ended up on an American colony.

As I've understood it, Bioroids emerge fully grown, so I'd assume they start up looking as eighteen. Then I think it's a bit how you interpret their template. Like, maybe a ten year old bioroid would look 28. Or maybe because their body has been tempered with, they still look 18 and continue doing so until they hit their "wall" and suddenly starts aging really quickly.
>>
Was there ever a canonical source of limiting Imbuements to a single weapon type e.g. Imbuement 1 (Broadsword Only, -X%)?
>>
>>51042929

It's -80% for a single skill, can't go lower than that.

It's always felt like a bit of a point-crock to me, but YMMW.
>>
>>51041679
I always played that bioroids age normally till they hit their design "wall" then they fall apart. But in falling apart they are more likely to look ill then sudden aging. Also I made a GM rule that after 4 years bioroids start to become more individuals with there own quarks and so on.

Also, since machine robots are such a PITA to build in gurps, I used bioroids in most of my settings.
>>
>>51043007
The same discount for being able to buy only a single imbuement skill? Hot damn. Got a page number/post link?
>>
>>51043134

Single Imbuement Skill is in Power Ups 1: Imbuements, page 4:
>The limitation is -80% for a single skill, -60% for two, -40% for three, or -20% for four skills.

Left side of page, under the "limited skill access" paragraph.
>>
>>51043134
>>51043307

Derp, I now realize I misunderstood your initial post.

You want to use ANY imbuement skill with ONLY broadsword.

This is what I've got:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=962326&postcount=8
PK, it's not Kromm, but at least it's something.
It's based off of "Striking ST, one attack only" in Powers p.78
>>
>>51043735
That's good enough for me. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>51020978

Hey I'm the anon from >>51020421 I'm GMT-6 weekends work best for me.
>>
How should I best stat the biological cylons and their traditional robot guards from the Battle Star Galactica (reimage).
>>
>>51041679

"Hitting the wall" is not a universal feature of Transhuman Space Bioroids. Check their 4e templates.
>>
Sorry for late response.
>>51026020
Nope, soviet russia.
>>51045366
It seems I am only available in yours 6pm and later. Is it okay for you?

Anyway, whoever plans to play, please join https://discord.gg/pwmnjkW
>>
Alright, I'm kinda new to the whole GURPS thing, only really started ignoring the memes about it and am now trying to understand the system. Gereral question, what should I get if I wanna run a game in the vein of Metal Gear Solid with the characters being psychic operatives? Any general advice for someone just getting into the system.
>>
>>51047341
Basic Set, High Tech, Tactical Shooting, and Psionic Powers.
>>
>>51046589
6 PM or later at GMT-6 is fine as long as it's Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
>>
>>51047341
Basic Set alone is enough, and for new groups, I really do not recommend adding in too many additional books as that's the #1 things that kill campaigns. Basic Set even covers psionics to a decent degree.

However, if you want a large catalog of psyschic powers, grab GURPS: Psionic Powers. High-Tech can also work as an equipment catalog. These books are only okay because they're very light on rules and basically just a list.

>>51047587
>Recommending Tactical Shooting
>To a total newbie
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo--
>>
>>50938756
Me and my party during a modern fantasy campaign befriended a traveling nomad group of robots, due to having a talented mechanic in our group.

They were guiding us across a vast desert interspersed with the husks of ruined structures from the old world.

The robots used solar power to stay operational, so as the sun set they would all kneel down and assume some sort of prayer pose whilst looking skyward, before powering down.

We happened to be close to a somewhat intact office building, so we camped there for the night. We awoke in the middle of the night to the sounds of revving engines, a bunch of scavengers found our robot friends kneeling defenseless in the sand and were obviously planning to make scrap out of them while they were defenseless.

The GM stated that they outnumbered us 6 to 1, and a good portion of them were armed with makeshift firearms. He clearly expected us to cut our losses and run.

We immediately hatched a plan to deal with the problem. The sneakiest member of our group was given as much explosives as he could carry, and told to wait for our signal.

The rest of the part proceeded to flank all the way around, making sure to stay concealed and not crest the dunes and thus be in eyeshot of anybody

Flares were fired into the air to catch their attention, followed by bullets. A hail of goddamn bullets.

See, we had been hording what little arsenal we had over the course of several sessions. A pistol here, a box of bullets there, oh goody a military grade LMG that we could use to kill a massive mutant we had to deal with? We saved the bullets and beat it to death with pipes, scrap swords, and a crane.

The end result, any of the scavengers that didn't die or get incapacitated from the initial volley of full-auto gunfire fled thinking they had been besieged by a fucking army, only to get blown to high hell by all the IEDs and mines placed along their escape route.

Our robo pals were puzzled when they woke up.
>>
>>51047637
Nah, it will go too well with Metal Gear to ignore. Tactical Shooting is probably the best book they've put out.
>>
>>51047620
Good. We'll see if anyone else will join, but for now aim for the next week Saturday.
And feel free to ask any questions or discuss your character when you're ready.
>>
>>51047851

That was a good story. Do you have more?
>>
>>51047587
>>51047637
I'd say Action is a good read for anyone looking to run Metal Gear.

If I was running a Metal Gear game I'd go with Basic Set, Action, High Tech and Psionic Powers.
>>
>>51047341
Basic (Characters and Campaigns) and How to Be A GURPS GM.

You can safely ignore a big chunk of Basic. Only use what you *need*.
>>
>>51047851
nice
>>
I have a couple of questions /gurpsgen/. I'm a new player making my way through the Basic Set.

First, is there a guide or any sort of documentation for the GURPS Character Sheet program? It's easy to use for most character creation, but once in a while I encounter difficulties or I am unsure of what is the right way to do something. Also a list of things the program calculates for me would be handy, so I know if I need to doublecheck something with the rulebooks.

Second, is Gadgeteering appropriate for a character like MacGuyver? Would a combination of certain skills work better, or maybe something from another book?
>>
GURPSgen what would be your ideal campaign?
>>
>>51051979
I'm currently running a TL1 fantasy game. Back when I started I was a completely new to GURPS and also didn't get much time to prepare and worldbuild.

My ideal campaign would be starting that over, but also take more time to worldbuild. Also, with players who know the rules and keep track of their own shit, and don't try to minmax or cheat me, it gets really tiring paying attention to everything.
>>
>>51047851

Nice - sounds like you're using After the End?
>>
>>51051979
GURPS: Devils Guard, starting in 1936.
>>
>>50939191
It definitely sucked the life out of GURPS for me. Abandoned my ongoing campaign and stopped writing new content.

Shit happens, I guess.
>>
>>51053605
>stopped playing GURPS because some people on 4chan started using a discord app

You touched by the Tism son?
>>
>>51053675
No, I spent way too much time (4+ hours a day) on there talking shop for weeks at a time. Burned out fast on the game itself. Between "badwrongfun" from the Pyramid authors and the safe space shit already discussed here, soured me on the community too.

now I'm doing the same with 40k
>>
>>50939191

>and occasionally even generate content.

My content has always been on my blog. Putting content on 4chan seems like a bad idea, since it's so transitory?
>>
>>51054234
>since it's so transitory?
Seems like a good reason. GURPS gen has been mostly just for discussion of GURPS, people asking questions and bickering about rules. Not real content was created all that often apart from game hacks and a couple of image edits.

>>51053803
>badwrongfun" from the Pyramid authors

Wut?
>>
>>51054257
>Wut?

Basic rules - don't swear (as it's a family friendly game and so on), don't share pirated material (because it's semi-official and has a few freelancers hanging around), keep it SFW.
>>
>>51054257
>Wut?

One of the authors and I got into it more than once over differing views of how GURPS is played versus how it's intended.
>>
>>51054339
No swearing is stupid because the game has Erotic Art and with enough extra rules you can turn GURPS into a mechanically viable FATAL, but don't share pirated material because freelance writers hang around is a perfectly viable rule. Same with keeping images SFW.

I thought you had a complaint about the Pyramid authors telling people they're having fun wrong with GURPS or something.
>>
>>51054397
>One of the authors and I got into it more than once over differing views of how GURPS is played versus how it's intended.

Well that's cunty actually. Which author? The whole point of GURPS is to make your own fucking fun with it.
>>
I really hope drama doesn't keep /gurpsgen/ alive. I frequent both and really don't want the no-fun-zone to be my only option because the general's dead/full of drama.
>>
>>51054435
It's just like one person complaining mate, eventually he'll stop caring.
>>
>>51051404
I don't know of any documentation, but if you have any specific questions, you can ask them here as most of us are at least somewhat familiar with that program.

Quick Gadgeteer with the appropriate skills to support it (various specialties of Engineer, Armoury, Machinist, Mechanic, etc., or just wrap it all up into a wildcard skill like Inventor! for simplicity's sake) is 100% MacGuyver.
>>
>>51051404

Sorry, I don't know any good answers to the first question.

>Second, is Gadgeteering appropriate for a character like MacGuyver? Would a combination of certain skills work better, or maybe something from another book?

I personally think it makes since for him to have that advantage, seeing how cinematic and unrealistic some of his inventions/jurry-rigs were throughout the show.
>>
>>51054397
Seems odd, since the whole point of GURPS is to do what you want with it.
>>
>>51054397
Like what? Can you give examples?
>>
>>51031874
Same here, but I found a thread on the forums that helps out a bit (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=92486); I think the issue is that a lot of programs, especially Trigger, are intended to act much more broadly than they are written.
>>
>>51040941
Thanks, Anon, good tips. I don't see how to be a Gurps GM in the archive. Am I missing it or is it worth a buy?
>>
>>51060961
Yes, yes.
>>
>>51060988
So it's worth a buy? or it's in the archive and he's missing it?
>>
>>51061108
Yes.
>>
>>51060961
It's in the Play Aids folder under GURPS 4e
>>
The official GM screen is way to jam-packed with info; it's hard to read and cluttered because they fit in way too much shit. What would you include on a general-purpose GM screen?
>>
>>51065939
Range/Speed table
Critical Hit effects
Hit Locations
Size table
Common combat modifiers
Common sense mods
Reaction table
Common reaction modifiers
>>
>>51067278
I might add the fright check table to this as well.
>>
>>51067278
>Common sense

That's literally mandatory for one of my players.
>>
File: horse thieven.jpg (108KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
horse thieven.jpg
108KB, 1000x663px
HELP, i'm running my first game tommorow! (western historical fantasy).. I need tips. Like, for one, I only have the basic set: characters book, do I need the other one??
>>
>>51067698
>I'm running my first game tomorrow
>I only have the Basic Set: Characters Book

Breh.
>>
Hey Anons putting together my take on a ghoulish zombie for a fallout inspired game. Just how would you anons go about combatting a horde or small pack of these things near one of your settlements?

You have access to blackpowder and ergo can make flintlock weapons, some larger settlements can manufacture primers and as GM I'm assuming the ammunition is what stops people from making effective lever action rifles and the more complicated stuff. So I'd imagine anything prior to semi autos would be doable without smokeless powder.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kf4zlkbOg1SO94Ms6CcRnNfVwbs9rFzRyOsgWZ9Gy5c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>51068991

Considering they have High Pain Threshold, high HT, and Injury Tolerance: Unliving, they're extremely resistant to gunfire. If all I have is flintlocks I'd give up on that notion.

If I'm merely defending against an attack I know will come sometime in the next month, I'd focus on traps. Bear traps, spike pits, etc. Their feral nature and naked feet makes caltrops made from broken glass and old, bent nails a decent defense.

If I have to eradicate a Ghoul settlement because I want to move in or they're harassing traders/farmers/what have you, I'd strap up on as much metal and leather as I can. Fuck, if this is Fallout inspired I'd add "Spines" advantage to my armor as well.
Their lack of armor, skill and weaponry and limited ST means they're not very threatening in melee. If you give them Blunt Claws (which IMO is justifiable) they're a bit worse, but Fallout-style car-door metal armor would still stop them flat. The spines on the armor prevent them from utilizing tactics like grappling, and all I need is a cleaver or an axe, and a few similarly equipped bros (or if there are budget constraints, keep them in the back row with spears and polearms)
>>
>>51069193
>>51068991

First option sounds like close combat could work. Note that nothing in the template keeps ferals from using weapons and they'd be terrifying in numbers, even armed with crude clubs.

Ranged weapons that don't deal pi damage are good for anti-Unliveing work. A harpoon rifle like the Greener Mk 2 in High Tech could let you drop them, or at least shoot them with harpoons and drag them around. Throwing axes carried by a strong man can take the legs out from under a feral at a distance.

A strong man with a greatsword could tear them apart. Shotguns with slugs can do a solid amount of damage. Shotguns with incendiary slugs can light them on fire. It won't distract them, but at least the DOT should eventually bring them down.
>>
>>51069906
>Note that nothing in the template keeps ferals from using weapons and they'd be terrifying in numbers, even armed with crude clubs.
They have no weapon skill, using an improvised weapon and defaulting from DX 10 means they're highly incompetent.

Besides, how does Hidebound and Bestial act here?

Does picking up a bent pipe or similar implement count as creative thinking?

I guess if they have IQ 8, and Hidebound gives them -2, and picking up and using a swingable object is a basic thought at IQ+4, about half of them could have some sort of implement?

Still, OP will probably want to give them 1 point in axe/mace or something.
>>
>>51070639
>They have no weapon skill, using an improvised weapon and defaulting from DX 10 means they're highly incompetent.
If they can use the weapon at all, only using All-Out (Determined) every turn can drop them very close to a 50% chance. These are odds you don't want to face when outnumbered.
>>
>>51072045
It's also very "berserker/bestial horde."
>>
I ran my first "boss" encounter last Thursday; it left the martial artist without a foot and the barbarian with a wicked facial scar, but I think overall everyone had fun. Barbarian rolled stupid well with his shotgun slugs, and combined with the headshot from the sniper, some solid blows from the martial artist (which included some Throwing Art), and some nickel-and-diming potshots from the bard, they got the bastard down to -5xHP.

Self-critiques:
-I need to get better at balancing combat encounters. Setting the damage to 6d cut was too much even if it was RAW for a starting Barbarian and only CER 97.
-I'm not as hard-core as I thought I was. I found myself quickly picking up rolls before the players could read them (no GM screen) and fudging the results in the party's favor because otherwise they would have died on the spot. This is partially due to my poor balancing, but it's still an interesting discovery.
-Lack of healing sucks. A lucky blow from a giant wolf last session left the Bard at 2HP, and the Martial Artist's Esoteric Medicine brought him up to 4. His impact during the boss fight was minimal due to him being so close to death already. Also the Barbarian will take at least an in-game week to heal. I might give the party a kami ally just to keep them up and running.
-Extra Effort in combat is very powerful. I did the right thing reserving it to boss enemies only.
-Counter-snipers will start being a thing. That and ambushes. Otherwise I can't really do anything to the sniper.
>>
>>51077106
>Not as hardcore as I thought I was

Not many people are.
>>
>>51077106
I too am running a Dungeon Fantasy game, but this one online. Like you, I have a real big weakness for following through with letting the dice fall where they land to the detriment of the party, or I play the enemy suboptimally to give the players a better chance at survival, but playing online with random people, I hope to curve my emotional impulse of "I shouldn't do a deceptive attack to the skull right now, even though this thing realistically wants to kill the party as fast as possible."
>>
So are there any flaws in 4E GURPS mechanically?
>>
>>51080968
Melee damage, basic lift/strength in general, damage resistance, throwing, extreme ends of the bellcurve (super low and super high attributes, for example), etc.

Although some of those are dependent on you wanting to achieve "real world" results, which GURPS is not meant to handle. GURPS is a playable abstraction of reality that favors heroic acts to real life.
>>
>>51082191
How are those flawed? explain please, if you can, I haven't read a lot of the GURPS stuff but I'm interested.
>>
>>51082191
Ya, when you get into extreme ends it gets fucky. I like Melee damage though. I think it's pretty good.
>>
>>51080968
Firearms damage and interaction with the rules for wounds and crippleing, ultratech and spaceships have shitty math and are badly researched.
>>
>>51082257
I'll go over some of the bigger ones.

Melee damage has its origins in Man to Man, which was the original combat system for the first edition of GURPS (I think), which means that the melee damage table we see today is the same as it was decades ago. This table wasn't based on how much damage people could realistically do, it was based on what played well.

This is an issue when you have guns that derive their damage from a formula that gives damage based on the energy of whatever's being shot, and base DR around a specific type of steel and how it can withstand various calibers of bullets. This means that armor in the system is based off of real-world data, for the most part, which highlights how high melee damage can get. A 20 ST man (ignoring all other arguments about how realistic that is, as Basic Set says 20 ST is perfectly reasonable) can punch as hard as a 9mm pistol when using the Karate skill. That doesn't sit right with a lot of people. Even worse is when you give that 20 ST man a sword. They're swinging for 3d+3 cut, which will cleave through even the heaviest plate armor.

Low-Tech has a hot-fix for this, where you need to do over double the armor's DR in order to get your cutting wounding modifier (Cutting does x1.5 injury); if you do equal to or less than double the armor's DR, but still do more than its base DR, your damage doesn't get a wounding modifier. It's just treated as crushing damage.

You can try a variety of solutions to fix this (Low-Tech's rules suffice for most, which makes armor actually worth wearing), from scaling melee damage down to doubling DR values to whatever crazy calculus you pull out of your ass to get energy from swung weapons based on the energy exerted by baseball players batting.

Throwing just gets unrealistic results. There's a lot of contention over what realistic Basic Lift is (how much you can lift). Extreme ends are exteme, and thus get weird.
>>
Any good books for a Victorian occult game?
>>
>>51082464
To expand on firearm damage, the issue arises in Basic Set, where rifles are hilariously lethal. The average damage from a 7d battle rifle is 24.5, which is enough average injury to make anyone roll a death check after being shot once in the torso, aka "hollywood style" firearms injury. This is unrealistic (and unfun) because the way firearms kill people is bleeding, not doing loadsadamage.

In order to solve this, there are a few rules available. If you don't want to go outside Basic Set, just allow PCs the Flesh Wound cinematic option and give them points to spend on gunshot wounds. This effectively reduces the lethality of being shot, but it might not be for your group.

If you want a simple solution, Pyramid $3/44 - Alternate GURPS II has an article at the end called Survivable Guns, which halves rifle damage and gives them an armor divisor of 2. They retain their ability to realistically penetrate armor while not doing so much damage that you're dead to rights on being shot.

The solution I use is from High-Tech, pg. 162, from the "Optional Wounding Rules" box. You can use them without bleeding rules, but I use bleeding rules. Any time someone is shot by a gun to the torso, the injury is capped at their max HP value - e.g. an HP 10 man cannot take more than 10 injury from a rifle to the torso; excess injury is "lost." However, that excess injury is used to determine the penalties to HT rolls for bleeding, which realistically models how most people die from bleeding out. You also now roll 1d every time you're shot in the torso; on a 1, the vitals are hit, which means the injury caused is x3 basic damage, with no cap in place. Being shot in the heart, lungs, kidneys, whatever vitals is pretty much going to kill you, barring lucky breaks.
>>
>>51082527
GURPS Horror, GURPS Mysteries, whatever flavor of occult magic you want to use (GURPS Thaumatology is a good place to look, especially if you want corrupting magic; Ritual Path Magic if you feel spicy), and Steampunk Adventures for some background and recommended reading of older GURPS books for Victorian times. Social Engineering can be very useful if you want to play up Victorian society.
>>
>>51082527
High Tech, Horror, maybe thamataulgy if you want to build some magic stuff in.

>>51082617
One shot at 150 yards with a 5.56x45mm rifle deals enough damage to sever/destroy a leg or arm.

IRL, such a shot is unlikely to result in incapacitating a normal person, and with treatment within an hour has a very good chance for a fast, full recovery.
>>
>>51082713
>>51082656
Thanks, think I will start with Thmataulgy and horror
>>
>>51082777
Friendly reminder, if you don't already know, that GURPS Thaumatology builds off of GURPS Magic. It's essentially a book for customising the default magic system for GURPS.
>>
>>51082713
Have you factored in the half damage range of the rifle? For simple gamist reasons you just do half damage a certain range, but GURPS fully supports more in depth damage culations that subtract a percentage of damage based on distance.

You could totally still have a point btw, I'm just saying I'm aware of one factor that could be causing this.
>>
>>51082861
After just glancing at hightech my napkin math tells me that the m16 would do 30% less damage at 150 yards.
>>
>>51082806
No worries there. I played gurps a ton with 3rd edition, and now getting back in with 4th edition.
>>
>>51082893
Oh fuck, no, my bad, it's does 15% less damage.
>>
>>51082490
>>51082617
So basically GURPS's mechanical flaws are that they put gameplay before Reality?
>>
>>51082979
I'm sure there are other flaws. Some people find it boring because it uses unified mechanics. Others don't like GURPS because it requires them to build their own system by stacking composite parts on top of the base engine. But, as far as mechanical flaws, I can't really think of any beyond "It isn't realistic," which is the least worrisome flaw to have, as long as it isn't built up as being a reality simulator (and it isn't).
>>
>>51083025
and even then, it's far more realistic then other more popular systems.
>>
File: jsCORit.png (33KB, 872x450px) Image search: [Google]
jsCORit.png
33KB, 872x450px
>>51082979
No, gun damage is just wrong. It's bad for gameplay and for realism. If it was right for one or the other, I'd be fine with it.

>>51082910

You can't just compare energy directly, as with a firearm cross-section and shot placement are vastly more important. M855 is still quite lethal at 600 meters, despite having lost ~80% of it's muzzle energy.

Even at 0 range however, a intermediate rifle round will not wreck a limb forever with every shot.

>>51082617
These rules work. Just getting rid of the unrealistic damage upgrade rifle rounds get for going faster works too, and effectively just moves them all to pi- or pi
>>
>>51082617

I love that rule about torso damage. That said, however, what about characters which have no blood?
>>
>>51084229
I assume the rules work the exact same way for them, except they don't suffer from bleeding. There are better injury tolerances to get if you want to be resistant to bullets, though, like unliving.
>>
Somebody should make a new thread.
>>
>>51085175
You're right. I choose you. Go right ahead.
>>
>>51086440
No thanks I made the last two threads, it's somebody else's turn. :)
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.