[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a vidya adaptation of a TTRPG successful, /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

What makes a vidya adaptation of a TTRPG successful, /tg/?
>>
poor Clarence
>>
>>50938402
Been trying to figure this out for myself for a while.

I loved the hell out of Baldur's Gate, the old Fallouts, Planescape and their ilk. They worked very well for building atmosphere and some fun and challenge in developing your character.

I enjoyed the original Neverwinter Nights to some degree too, but kind of in spite of the system. The moddability probably helped - I got so engrossed in creating my own worlds and games that I forgot about the flaws in the campaign.

Lately though, both DnD based ones and others like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Subtitles Galore don't quite do it for me. There's still good story and fun in them, but I think they actually have too many options.
Baldur's Gate's computerized AD&D had a decent level of depth and complexity (at least for me) while still remaining almost completely transparent. If I switched out a piece of equipment I could know exactly how that affected my character. Technically I can see what that does in PoE or the Witcher too, but ... the simulation is so complex that it barely matters. Sorry, I strayed from the TTRPG->CRPG topic a bit there, but it's still in the tradition of TT-style games, I think.

Granted, Baldur's Gate was one of my core formative experiences, so I'm extremely biased. Feel free to tell me to get my head out of Imoen's ass, not that I'm gonna.
>>
>>50938658
>Baldur's Gate's computerized AD&D had a decent level of depth and complexity (at least for me) while still remaining almost completely transparent. If I switched out a piece of equipment I could know exactly how that affected my character.

Expanding a little on this point: this might have been how BG felt very close to the table for me. In a TTRPG you will know the mechanics of your character in the system intimately. That's a core feature of most systems, not counting GM fiat.

In later games the more complex and hidden game mechanics keep me distant from the crunch of my character - breaking mechanical immersion, sort of. The thought hadn't hit me before, but that's probably just as important to me as character immersion.
>>
File: heya__it__s_me__by_sqwid.png (393KB, 600x619px) Image search: [Google]
heya__it__s_me__by_sqwid.png
393KB, 600x619px
>>50938658
>Feel free to tell me to get my head out of Imoen's ass, not that I'm gonna.
That was a nice ass to be in. Heya! It's me!
>>
>>50938716

I picked up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on a Steam sale recently, and that's my feeling as well. I have a general idea of how things work, and what to select for in terms of abilities and equipment, but overall things are pretty granular in detail.

That works fine for how computers handle statistics and mechanics, but I think once you get past rock-paper-scissors and arithmetic in complexity, it's harder to get a gut-level feel for the game.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.