[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Supers RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (38KB, 337x436px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
38KB, 337x436px
I am looking for an system for a game of supers, preferably with low bookkeeping and not too heavy on crunch. Suggestions?

Pic - i heard this is THE ONE for what I'm looking, but can't find it to download anywhere
>>
File: 1455880859737.gif (49KB, 365x411px) Image search: [Google]
1455880859737.gif
49KB, 365x411px
>>50934929
Oh shit. Someone wants to know my favorite system?

Here. Have everything. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4dx7zmacc2ar5/Heroics
>>
Wow, thank you Anon.
Now, should I get the basic or the CW Premium?

Also, care to elaborate on your opinions regarding pro/cons of the system?
>>
For rules, get CW, but I recommend both books just to read the datafiles.

A big pro of the system is you can whip up any kind of super you want and can generally do what you want.

A big con is the GM needs the balls to say what will and won't fly. Your handgun isn't going to hurt Galactus.

There's also the matter of the rules for character creation not being too concrete. They walk you through what is the bare minimum, but there's no cap. There's no "You have 15 points to allocate" stuff. It's limited by your imagination and what the GM will let you do. It works out better than you think since everyone only gets one turn a round no matter what.

Another pro is that there are loads of characters statted and, even if you don't use the Marvel setting, you can just use those for your own NPCs. Group combat is also pretty fun since it's a pile of dice vs a PC.

Another con is that there's a lot of learning by example. Those datafiles I mentioned are really the only place I learned how to stat out the characters I wanted. Everything's relative to those.
>>
Started reading and it's pretty amazing, although I still need to reach the mechanics to see how it works. Do you mind if I make a few questions?
>>
Also, the Operation Manual of CW is like, updared or modicied somehow?
>>
Was this the one that had some systemic similarities with FATE?
>>
>>50935675
Probably. I never noticed since I just skipped it. Annihilation has some updates called out.

>>50935677
Yeah
>>
So, this is my basic rule question.

What happens if a character wants to make an action which really has nothing to do with a certain set of traits? They just skip a die for the pool?

Lets take Nightcrawler (pg XM98) for example.
Suppose he is the one character trying to calm down/control a mob of people who wants to lynch this thief on the street.

He is alone, so his solo die applies;
His devout catholic distinction surely helps there, however be ause of demonic appearance, in that scenario I'd say d4+pp

Now his powers have nothing to do with this kind of "public speech" that the player intended to. What do? Simply he CAN'T try it, or is there a way to try something that you're not particularly good at (think of untrained or cross class skills i d&d).

Also lets suppose cor whatever reason he has no PP to spend in extra dies.

How would that scenario turn out?
>>
>>50935949
You always get your distinction and affiliation dice.

If you don't have psych or threatening skills and no PP to make an asset for yourself, you're up against the wall.

But Nightcrawler is not the kind of guy to just give up because he will fail. He's Catholic. They're built for that.

Have him and the crowd face off for Emotional or Mental stress fighting. Use that PP from the d4 to make an asset to use to improve your roll for next turn. Conflict isn't just fist fighting by these rules.

Plus, if the crowd stresses him out and lynches the thief anyway, the Emotional trauma makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>50934929
Wild Talents.
>>
Gotta playtest this, but god it does sound amazing.
>>
>>50936127
Wild Talents not too heavy on crunch. What are you smokin' and where can I get some?
>>
>>50935677
It does. Cortex+ is kind of like if every number in Fate was a die. Insured of counting bonuses you assemble a dice pool and you roll and keep.

I sometimes wonder if Cortex+ is the crunchier, gamier version of Fate that Fate h8ers might like.
>>
>>50938509
>Insured
Huh? And I think what those people hate about Fate is how it instructs to put story before rules. Traditionalists who have grown under the Dice Gods can find it difficult to understand new approaches.
>>
File: 131765.jpg (369KB, 473x729px) Image search: [Google]
131765.jpg
369KB, 473x729px
>>50934929
Another suggestion.
>>
>>50938569
Was meant to be "instead."

I've read and heard criticisms about Fate being too light, too freeform. I've heard about the criticisms you highlighted too though.
>>
>>50938636
> too light
I wonder if they'd feel that way after reading through the ~300 pages of Atomic Robo's rulebook.
>>
>>50938669
The number of pages in an RPG does not always indicate its mechanical weight.

Regardless, for some D&D 3e is their standard; their idea of "middle of the road" which is gravely mistaken.
>>
>>50934929
I'd personally recommend Capes, Cowls, and Villains Fowl for a lighter supers system. One of the main mechanics is that as you progressively use a power in a scene, you'll have to basically do something similar to Disadvantage in D&D 5e, where you roll 2 dice and take the lowest (but can continue to 3, 4, or more dice). This is basically to emulate comics in trying to encourage players to not rely solely on a single power/trait all the time, and this can be alleviated with modifiers you can buy that gives more uses per scene before you start having to roll more dice and take the lowest, and some that work like Advantage where you can roll 1-3 extra dice and take the highest, with some modifiers allowing you to start with more dice, and some where you build up to more dice.

Building powers is simple, just give a basic description and apply points to it (Super Strength). Rolls are pretty simple as well, just your dice roll + your trait, you can possibly add more if you have a power that could logically be used with it (using Super Strength and Super Speed together to attack somebody better). Attacks are similar, defender picks a trait and rolls, if the attacker wins, defender takes 1 point of damage (unless the difference was particularly high, then the defender will just be knocked out).
>>
>>50934929
FASERIP
>>
File: 604162_orig.jpg (282KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
604162_orig.jpg
282KB, 533x800px
>>50938920
Dammit there are too many interesting superhero RPGs.

> same system as Cartoon Action Hour to boot
>>
>>50934929
Only one I play that isn't crunch heavy would be Better Angels, which is more about playing retarded over the top national monument stealing style supervillians so the demon possesing you is satisfied but you weren't evil enough for it to drag your soul to hell.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.