[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

d% one roll mechanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hi guys. So, working on a d% system with only one roll for its combat resolution. Player rolls a d% to attack and get everything from it:
- if roll is under (his base accuracy minus target dodge) is a hit.
- weapons deal damage based on how low you roll (a sword does 9 damage if <25%, 6 if <50% and 3 if <75%)
- hit location works by switching the numbers (so a hit with 37% checks the 73 on hit location)
- hitting doubles (11, 22, 33...) allow special effects to take place.

I want more on this.

What can I use for the sum of the numbers? Or if I reduce the higher from the lower? Or multiply them? I want one roll to give me the most info about the attack as possible.
>>
Are you aware that your damage thresholds are fixed while your to hit is variable, meaning that incompetent people are only able to hit for high damage....other than that it looks too much trouble to keep on messing with a single roll
>>
>>50909715
> I want one roll to give me the most info about the attack as possible.
Commendable, just don't let it get more complicated than just rolling another die.

>hit location works by switching the numbers (so a hit with 37% checks the 73 on hit location)
Works pretty well (see 40k RPGs).

>weapons deal damage based on how low you roll (a sword does 9 damage if <25%, 6 if <50% and 3 if <75%)
Fairly certain this is a bit finicky. calculating percentages of a percentage is a bit complex.

>What can I use for the sum of the numbers? Or if I reduce the higher from the lower? Or multiply them?
What more do you want from an attack? You've got hit location and a suggestion of damage, as well as a way to add special effects. What more do you need?
If you do choose to use either summing or multiplication, do a bit of spreadsheet magic and figure out where your distribution lies and the probabilities and positions of each result. Some results can only occur at the top and bottom, respectively.

If you're interested, there's the blackjack-like system in RuneQuest 6/Mythras. You roll, and the closer to your skill, the better. So a roll of 50 versus skill 55 is really good, while a roll of 14 isn't so good. Critical rolls occur is one tenth of your skill, rounded up, and always trump regular rolls. With 55 in a skill, critical range is 1-6. Higher criticals trump lower ones. In opposed rolls, whoever rolls the highest but still succeed wins, with crits beating normal rolls as above. No calculating how much under you rolled, just comparison. Fumbles are at rolls of 00.
Also, in combat, almost all rolls are opposed, and the difference in success levels dictate how many special manoeuvres you perform (like ignore armour, max damage, unbalance opponent, cause bleeding, etc). So a successful attack versus a failed block is one effect for attacker.

I think there was a light/sample version around if you're curious.
>>
>>50909801
While you're right, the idea is that a professional can hit more often, even if doing less, than a nobody, but when he hits was lucky enough to do damage. I could go percentage of percentage like >>50909836 misundertood, but no.

>>50909836
I guess I could use the other means as variables. Warriors can use maneuvers at doubles, rogues do extra damage on sneak attack equal to the sum, cleric heals the multiply if he hits the skill...

And as >>50909801 said, while optimal, one roll can become convoluted and too much table checking if done wrong. That's why I would like /tg/ advice on how to deal with it.
>>
>>50910085
I'd say, use the die faces rather than the percentages to deal damage, and let skilled users increase the minimum they can do.

Say you have a sword. It does the highest of the die faces (so on a roll of 13, it does 3). A warrior skilled in swords might be able to either add to that damage a certain fraction of their skill value, or replace one dice with a fraction of their skill value. A massive axe might do both added together, but not allow any swapping (on account of being imprecise), or take penalties to block, etc. A dagger might do lowest plus half the highest or so.

While we can give you tips here, you ultimately have to run the numbers yourself. Then we can give you input on that.

But once again, what more do you need from your combat system other than damage, location and special effects?
>>
>>50909715
It's funny, I've been working on a similar thing too. The way I'm doing it is you roll d%+mods to determine your damage you would deal, then the enemy subtracts from that their defences, armour, misc. If the result is 0 or lower, it must have been a miss, otherwise they take some damage. I haven't got the numbers balanced out yet.
>>
>>50909715
Doing something similar, but because I'm a math nerd, I'm using a multiplier to modify the roll based on hit vs dodge/block stats. If your hit is dramatically higher thean their dodge, it will dramatically change the roll, but nothing is ever guaranteed-hit or guaranteed-miss
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.