[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone play this game? Was it fun? How did you play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: pic43176.jpg (37KB, 353x483px) Image search: [Google]
pic43176.jpg
37KB, 353x483px
Did anyone play this game? Was it fun? How did you play?
>>
>>50907740
I had the book of published cards, given out a the Scholastica book fair.

Loved it, but never played.

What to steal various mechanics for my own card games.
>>
>>50907869
What's the lore/flavor? A buddy of mine gave me a box of mostly MtG cards with a handful of these at the bottom.
>>
>>50907740
I played it. It was awesome.
Balance was kind of awkward though.

There were a few really broken cards in the early sets.
Spiral Gate comes to mind, if you had Water you always took 4. Best bounce in the game.
But Soulswap was absolutely disgusting. Every deck and their uncle splashed Nature for it. It could:
• Remove a creature (but provide a dreg).
• Induce summoning sickness.
• Recur an etb trigger.
• Cheat a creature in to play a turn early.
And it was super cheap the cast. Making that last one especially disgusting.
AND it had Shield Tigger. Shit was bananas.

The meta was all jacked up for the entirety of it's English translation. Because most creatures can't block, it was all aggro all the time.
You might run a few evo creatures, but you aimed to flood the board with cheap shit.
Obvious problem there, is that the flagship rares were all big stompy cards aimed at Timmy. And they were shit.
So they released bigger and stompier cards for Timmy. And they were still shit.
Eventually they made a Timmy card that was just barely good enough to be viable.
Which was a very fine line though, since you were essentially guaranteed.

Anyways, the set after translations stopped added a cheap (and SHield Trigger) boardwipe that only hit small creatures.
Which fixed everything forever, but again, set after translation stopped.
>>
File: Aqua_trickster.jpg (46KB, 222x307px) Image search: [Google]
Aqua_trickster.jpg
46KB, 222x307px
>>50907980
>What's the lore/flavor?
It's all over the place, uh...
Light civilization are robots in the sky. Vaguely angelic.
Nature civilization are beastfolk and ents n'shieet.
Water civilization are high-tech slime people. Also genetically engineer monster fish.
Fire civilization are honorable warrior race humans and dragons. With guns.
Darkness civilization are monsters living in the fallout of a million shitty mad scientists.

And they all fucking hate each other.

Every other set they make (or break) alliances over random events that (usually) have nothing to do with any of them.
That's pretty much the entire plot. They just go to war with each other. Except for maybe one set where they all threw a party?
>>
>>50908080
I have no idea what most of that means but it sounds similar to MtG?
>>
>>50908198
Plays extremely similarly. Mainly because it's by WotC.
There's five main differences:

You always curve out perfectly, because there's no "land" type.
You still play cards as land, but you get to use any card.

No instants, etc. Very few decisions on your opponents turn.

You can target tapped creatures when attacking.

Health works waaaaaay~ differently.
So, decks are exactly 40 cards. Starting hand of 5, plus 5 as shields.
If you get hit you lose a shield (it goes to your hand).
Get hit with no shields and you lose.

Blocking is an ability. Most creatures can't do it.
>>
>>50908148
I think the lore for this game was pretty cool
>Light
The light civilization is basically a post-scarcity society which has wound up having to fight again for the first time in forever in order to keep their resources from the other civilizations. They make everything (including themselves) out of a combination of various metals and apparently solid energy, gravity also doesn't appear to be an issue for them. They live in floating cloud island cities which run on sunlight.

>Nature
Home to the world trees, giant trees the tallest of which almost touch the light civilization's cities. These trees store up a massive amount of energy, one of the side effects of this is gravitational distortion, members of other civilizations have trouble standing up straight in proximity to the world trees. There is no government or even real society in the nature civilization, it's a mixture of giant beasts and feral tribesmen, they would just keep to themselves but the war for resources means they have to defend themselves.

>Water
One of the aggressive civilizations trying to take resources from the others, although they have started taking territory on land for this purpose their actual cities remain only underwater. Each of these cities is ruled by a cyber-lord who is the only person who understand how all the technology which runs the city actually works. They have chips in their bodies which allow them to communicate telepathically, to alter their own bodies, and to control water. Have a religion about worshiping technology and gathering data.

>Fire
If you're imagining Mad Max you have the right general idea. The entire region has become a post-apocalyptic desert/volcanic wasteland as a result of some ancient weapon. Now humans fight lizard people in said post-apocalyptic wasteland where everyone and everything is constantly trying to build the biggest gun possible to kill everyone else with.
>>
>>50909399
>Darkness
Another post-apocalyptic landscape neighboring the nature civilization (who they frequently encroach on). Constantly trying to gain immortality, their experiments have so far; poisoned the air, screwed up the space-time continuum, and created a ton of highly deadly diseases. They're still trying though (the ones who can survive anyway), although by this point they're all heavily disfigured and misinformed and usually require a lot of equipment to keep themselves alive.
>>
>>50907740

It was pretty cool, honestly. Tried to go in a slightly different direction with resources/life and worked alright.
>>
>>50908148
>>50908296
>>50909399

I played back in its early days.

The game was really good, save for a couple of faults

-Fire and Nature civilizations having zero ability to block was fucking lame. It was pretty weird that such a basic combat mechanic would be made into an ability.

-The cartoon, while occassionally amusing, was so downright silly that it just gave the impression the franchise didn't take itself seriously.

-Said cartoon only referenced in passing the actual lore and conflicts in the game's world itself. It's a real pity they didn't just make the cartoon all about the world. Flavor text on cards was also silly and stupid from trying too hard to appeal to kidz deez dayz.

The game got rebooted and rebranded as Kaijudo in recent years but after some initial hype it bombed once it became clear its previous marketing flaws were even more cynical than before.

The franchise has been so mishandled that I believe the entire thing is just a stress test for experimental Magic design that WOTC pours Hasbro's money into for market research.
>>
>>50910501
>Fire and Nature civilizations having zero ability to block was fucking lame.
A 4 color deck or a greedy 3 color deck is prone to color screw.
But it's hard to justify mono-colored decks. Especially red.
>It was pretty weird that such a basic combat mechanic would be made into an ability.
That actually worked out really well.
After you get attacked, you choose between removing shields and removing creatures.
>>
File: PhotocideLordoftheWastes.jpg (69KB, 463x644px) Image search: [Google]
PhotocideLordoftheWastes.jpg
69KB, 463x644px
>>50910501
>gave the impression the franchise didn't take itself seriously
Absolutely correct. It does not take itself seriously. Which is part of the aesthetic.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.