[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Eldar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

So I bought some Dark Eldar kabalites about a year ago but never did anything with them. My mate now runs the local GW so I decided to pop in and get started again since he's a cool dude and already gave me some wyches on the house. I know almost jack shit about 40k, I mostly buy models to paint. I did a lot of WWII models but I thought it'd be fun to play with some 40k shit. Advice on Dark Eldar? I hear they're pretty shit and hard to play, but hard to play sounds funner than an easy army.
>>
>>50904467
check the 40 general
>>
>>50904467
Current wisdom is about playing a "gunboat" style army with either lots of Venoms or squads of Kabalites skimming around shooting out of Raiders. Reavers and Razorwing Fighters are pretty solid too. They're a hard army to use but I don't think their hopeless if you learn to play them well. Wyches are unfortunately very weak right now though. The Overwatch rule and the general bias toward shooting in the game is very unfriendly to a T3 assault unit with no armor save.
>>
>>50904467
i play dark eldar

they arnt shit, but they are hard to play

you are going to need basically everyone to be on raiders and venoms, you are going to want to bring lances for vehicles and use massed kabalites for anti infantry

if you are going to fight marines often consider investing in incubi, they are pretty good and they have fuck huge swords.

congrats on buying the best faction.
>>
>>50904550
Yes, because all people MUST go to the general if they want to post about the game. NO FUN ALLOWED
>>
>>50906359

The general sucks anyway its only useful for the OP links
>>
>>50904467

Here are the basics for the core book
(only take haemonc stuff in coven formations)

>HQ
Archon - Tankiest with a 2++ but will die as soon as it fails
Succubus - Best in melee and cheap as well. I prefer to take the relic armor + haywire grenades + Glaive
Court of the Archon - 10pt lhaemaen is a legal HQ choice and can buy a venom making it the cheapest HQ

>Troops
x5 in a venom for better long range shooting
x10 in a raider w/ nightshields and splinter racks for increased durability, but at a cost of ranged effectiveness

>Elites
Incubi - good at marine hunting, but you should avoid other strong melee units, or things with a good invulnerable
Mandrakes - cheap, can infiltrate, start with their guns, and don't require a transport making them a great way to fill up an extra 40-100 pts. Also they wreck anything that is afraid of ap 4 such as skitarii or firewarriors.
Trueborn - 4 blasters in a venom is decent, but it is short ranged and fairly expensive

>Heavy Support
Ravager - Brings 3 lances, but is a bit too expensive, and often has to sacrifice shooting to survive being shot

>Fast Attack
Reavers - Contender for best unit in the codex. Give them cluster caltrops, and some people also believe in blasters as well.
Scourges - Likely your best anti-tank weapons platform, but just remember they are jump not jet infantry
Jetfighter - Our only anti-air option which it sucks at, but it is pretty good against infantry blobs.
Venom - Contender for best unit in the codex.
>>
Not op but was wondering if you had any tips for a dark elder player going up against necrons, I am currently building up my army and my brother plays necrons. I generally find myself bringing ridiculous amounts of anti-tank just top deal with his infantry, I we play small scale games, so I bring scourges and several blaster born in a venom but we seems to just steamroll me as if I am not able to wipe out his units as soon as I get in range, his return fire wipes me out.

I've asked this in the general and they told me to sell my dark elder and collect something else but I love the army to much.
>tl,dr any advice for a new dark elder player vs necrons?
>>
File: diddly-hole.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
diddly-hole.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>50908820

Pic oh-so-related.
>>
>>50908820
Sweeping advancing his infantry is the best thing you can do.
Grab armor of misery and win combat causing a minimum -3 ld check for easy sweep chances.
That is unless he takes lords/fearless in which case you are just fucked.
>>
>>50908920
>>50908940
Well this is very encouraging so far, any more advice? I thought that Melee wasn't viable anymore for dark eldar, which is why I have generally opted for a more gunboat play style.
>>
>>50909011
It's still viable against armies that tend to rely on shooting, your speed compounds this
>>
>>50908940
>That is unless he takes lords
Lords fold like wet paper to sweeping advances. Same initiative as the rest, no protection against tests.

>>50909011
Something I've been considering but haven't bothered applying yet is a niftly little "hunting hounds" strategy to support melee - basically a way to utilize all those warp beasts/"khymeras" I still have laying about. You can take khymeras or beastmasters as 10 pt one-man units, and you can use them to charge units and waste their overwatch before charging with your real melee units. Either the enemy attacks and kill the 10 pt model, wasting the overwatch, or they don't attack, get locked in combat, and you can safely charge anyways. At the low cost of a 10 pt lhamaean and 80 pts of kabalites, you can take 6 of these 12" moving speed demons with our raiders detachment (60 pts for 6 units). The only real choice is deciding between the beastmaster himself, who dies to a sneeze but has a shooting attack, or the good old hunting dogs, who have T4 and the Daemon 5++ & Fear. Both move 12" and can keep up with anything else you've got.

It doesn't "save melee" by any means, but it's a fun little trick to give it a slight edge against anything. ...that isn't fucking tau.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.