[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How in the world do you do espionage in a fantasy setting on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1434772797929.jpg (42KB, 531x364px) Image search: [Google]
1434772797929.jpg
42KB, 531x364px
How in the world do you do espionage in a fantasy setting on the cusp of an industrial revolution?
>>
>>50889968
Depends on what you mean by "cusp of the industrial revolution" are we talking like end of the colonial era or full Victorian?
>I'm retarded and don't know dick about history so I can only guess
if former, maybe spies in an American Revolution type setting + magic. For the other steam punk shadow run.
>though the latter sounds gay as hell
>>
>>50889968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyoFHc25Yo
add magic and fantasy races
>>
>>50889968
>How in the world do you do espionage in a fantasy setting
clairvoyance, divination, scrying
>>
>>50889968
Are you a real Spy?
Have you ever discovered a plot, like a, like a real regicide?
Have you ever tried a disguise?
>>
File: 1409755087728.gif (901KB, 500x212px) Image search: [Google]
1409755087728.gif
901KB, 500x212px
>>50890192
Patrician choice, Sir.
>>
>>50889968
Probably in a manner pretty similar to how people did it around that same technological era IRL; a bit of sneaking and a whole lot of lying your ass off about who you are. Plus bribes and blackmail.

Unless you mean what kinds of things to have the group do, in which case there would be a lot of "check this region for hidden bases" or "get dirt on that dude" or maybe even something simple like "go find some contacts in the government." Basically just watch some spy movies (even something like a James Bond movie, which is basically just spy-themed action) and either have the group do that sort of thing or have the group prepare for that sort of thing, or you can also get ideas from most heist movies.
>>
>>50890192
This looks promising, but the only revolution I could think of happening are outside the foreign powers. Though, maybe if one of them wanted to expand into territories and colonies, then that might get some dissent from the indigenous populations.
>>
>>50890639
>>50890212
But what if they were magically trained and the spies could use spells? Like in the other Anon's post?
>>50890155
End of the colonial era. Guns aren't all that wide spread yet in more rural eras and there's about three world superpowers if can call them that. One is a mixture of Victorian Age Britain and a collection of city-states (although they're as big as small nations) inspired by Rome. That one is arguably the most technologically advanced. The other one is an island empire in the far east ruled by Onis. That nation is colloquially known as the 'bad guys' in the setting. The last one is kingdom in a country the size of Russia, heavily forested and beset by mountain ranges.
>>
>>50889968
How exactly would the industrial revolution discourage acts of espionage?
>>
>>50891131
OP's asking for tips on running espionage for this.
>>
>>50889968
You should check out Cryptomancer. Has some good advice about how to run that sort of thing, especially on the information warfare side of magic.
>>
>>50890277
Well, uh, technically...
>>
>>50890779
>The three powers are fighting over 1 or more continents for colonizing.
>The three powers mix in each other's company enough to where it's not weird to see members of each hanging out in each other's countries
>It's a Cold War over something that could kill them all so espionage is the only means of moving political pieces
>>
>>50892976
I'm gonna do this, honestly. The plot wpuld be pretty interesting. Although what do you mean about the thing that could kill them all? Is it that the continent has hostile terrain?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.