[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Cube Q&A

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Image.png (112KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
112KB, 223x311px
I'm working on a list for my cube and decided to start over.

I guess there are EDH cubes, Standard/Block/Modern cubes, and then potentially Pauper cubes or other types?

I'm thinking I want to do probably just a 60 card format, with a medium tier power level. No crazy money cards except maybe one or two in each color and some mana rocks. Say like 15 bucks tops and an average of 4 bucks or something.

1.What quantity of cards have you included in your 60-card format cubes for like 4-6 players, and what proportion of colorless to colored cards? My shitty prototype was like 540 cards or something. I realize I have to probably cut this down to like 400 or something.

2. Did you put in duplicates?

3. What are the problems you ran into/advice about the ratio of Creatures to Sorceries to Artifacts, etc. ?

I'll be mostly using cards since 2012 and a few older pet cards here and there. I don't have top tier cards like Force of Will.

Also, Cube thread.
>>
File: Image.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
This was my noob cube.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/56543

I think I only want to use about 30% of the cards from this in my updated Cube, so it's up for criticism.
>>
File: 61rYgtp2L0L.jpg (71KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
61rYgtp2L0L.jpg
71KB, 353x500px
I feel like a good cube has to be very focused. Like hyper synergized and then revised multiple times. Or maybe not, what do I know.
>>
Start at 360 cards for 8 players for 40-card decks; adjust cube size appropriately for number of players. For typical Limited decks, non-land ratios are 1/3 non-creatures and 2/3 creatures. Find some way to provide each player with about ~6 pieces of easy-to-play land-based color fixing; this means for 8 players, you will want at least 48 dual lands; 60 is great.

Sit down and pick out what you want every color pair deck to look like. Typically every color pair has a primary strategy and some secondary fall-back strategy if the primary doesn't pan out. It's much easier if you focus on five color pairs when picking out cards; with ten color pairs one or two will inevitably be weak. Decide if you want artifacts/colorless to be a deck.

Once you know what decks/archetypes are going to exist then you need to link those decks and archetypes together using cards. Each archetype will also require some number of "anchor" cards that will be great for that deck but be careful not to include too many build-around cards that only go in one deck and are otherwise last-picks - a good anchor card that is solid for an archetype is like Tuskguard Captain - good in an archetype, not useless outside of it. "Pivot" cards are good in multiple archetypes like removal but unless you want a "good stuff" deck to exist too many pivot cards are bad for Cube.

Break singleton, it's the best way to push your archetypes by having multiples of solid anchor cards.

Multicolored Cube fucking sucks. Minimize the number of multicolor cards in your Cube and make them either anchor and/or pivot cards - never make them build-around cards because they will rot.

Don't fucking buy real cards for Cube. Buy a color printer and a paper cutter.
>>
Anyone else loving the Vintage cube on MTGO? Buildingthat for sure. Been wrecking folks hard.
>>
Why is a Pauper cube so fun?
>>
>>50891501
>Find some way to provide each player with about ~6 pieces of easy-to-play land-based color fixing; this means for 8 players, you will want at least 48 dual lands; 60 is great.
Since proxies are fine in cube, would it be good to make dual lands also utility lands?

It could be as simple as errataring a different utility land ability onto every dual. Either a utility ability that doesn't need colored mana or one using both colors.

That way each dual land both enables a splash/2nd color and either has another use too even without a splash or actively encourages a splash.
>>
>>50897307
No, Duals are powerful enough on their own. They seriously don't need a boost. You'd only be making Duals an even higher pick. If you have 50 cards for your lands. 4 ten-land cycles and 10 plain utility lands are fine. Don't forget that the wedges and shards have a cycle now, so they'd be perfect to help fill gaps in player's manabases.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.