[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cash for XP in Modern/Cyberpunk settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: worldinyear3000.jpg (198KB, 992x1032px) Image search: [Google]
worldinyear3000.jpg
198KB, 992x1032px
Crazy idea, /tg/
In old D&D you got XP for treasure, not killing monsters. This lead to a very logistical almost heist-like game.

So, what about transplanting this into a more modern framework? Every time you get a take back to your HQ (not counting laundering expenses, etc) you get to decide what you're doing with it. Save it, re-invest it, spend it on paranoid gun nut stuff or... blow it.
Everyone has a project they pour money into. A family. A wastrel's lifestyle. A charity. Solving your mentor's murder.
Spending your cash on your drive cashes it into XP. This means:
* reason for backstories outside cheap murder drama
* opportunity for cool RP of good times in normal life
* more choice over advancement
* concrete box gun nuts are actually suboptimal, so fewer players bother with them
Thoughts?
Also: cyberpunk art thread?
>>
>>
>>50870247
Every PC will just spend their dosh on the biggest, baddest cyberware and guns they can find.

Including tanks.

So, no, not a good idea.
>>
Playing with the source of XP is one of the most powerful but least used ways of modifying the tone of an RPG. I think your specific idea has a lot going for it.
>>
>>50871799
And not develop the skills to hit anything with their tech/weapons?
>>
>>50871799
There's a lot of rungs in the ladder before you can just buy a tank and become instantly omnipotent. They'll need to invest, create revenue streams, build alliances, bribe officials, ???
>>
Also I think this sounds sweet and would play it.

The XP could be the reward for stimulating the economy, and the drives could be manufactured and distributed by the privatised central bank.
>>
>>50870247
Lot of people have been doing that for the more recent editions of Shadowrun, to let Awakened characters get more karma (experience), at the cost of the much less useful nuyen (cash).

However I greatly dislike "purchasing" experience.
It means that players are incentivized to do whatever they can to make more money.
Potentially even avoiding the kind of interesting, dramatic scenes which I actually run/play games for.
>>
>>50871799
Better players will declare 'personal development' as their project and get XP for doing so.
>>
>>50872997
>drives could be manufactured and distributed by the privatised central bank
No, drives as in emotional or personal drives. They are player chosen, and should be organic to the character.
>>
I thought the old GP=XP mechanic was based solely off of how much you got, not what you spent it on. Would there be anything wrong with sticking to this mechanic? That way you wouldn't have to deal with optimizations issues of gear vs XP.

In general, I find that mechanical incentives for roleplaying don't really work, or at least as well as you'd think/hope. If someone doesn't give a shit about roleplaying, they will go through whatever motions required to get their incentive rather than get "in" to it; the result is almost always a painfully shallow caricature of a personality, and honestly I find blank murderhobos less irritating.

Credit where credit's due, though; it does sound great for pulling in players new to the hobby before they become established rollplayers.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.