[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MouseGuard RPG; Any info?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: mgrpg.jpg (151KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
mgrpg.jpg
151KB, 374x374px
Not familiar with the comic series whatsoever. Saw this at my lgs and it looks incredibly fun. I'm looking for something to run for one-offs when my group isn't playing DnD. (we take 1 week off each month, but still get together for gaming and stuff)

I have only heard good things about this game and the system it uses, but no real gritty first hand experiences or gripes. Please share them if you have them.
>>
File: For the Black Axe.jpg (424KB, 990x990px) Image search: [Google]
For the Black Axe.jpg
424KB, 990x990px
I just wanna say, the comic is awesome.
>>
>>50859520
Where's a good place to start? My friend told me it was really dry.

Also, theres like 10 different series within the universe, no?
>>
>>50859639
Just read the first story first. If you like it read Black Axe. It's not really separate series. Each Volume is just a distinct story.

>>50859263
All Luke Crane designed games share some similar qualities. Dice pools, backstory based character creation, the idea that the GM is supposed to throw the whole world at you for a while until you get to a town to spend the night.
>>
>>50859263
It's essentially burning wheel but adapted for playing as ranger/paladin mice
>>
>>50859849
>Dice pools, backstory based character creation, the idea that the GM is supposed to throw the whole world at you for a while until you get to a town to spend the night.

This sounds decent enough. Any tips for a brand new player?
>>
>>50860173
The hardest part is getting the group to get the concept he talks about as "player turn and GM turn." Basically, he wants the players to go through a series of tough challenges, choosing to hinder themeselves a little; then, as reward for making things harder on themselves, they get to decide what they come across in town. This doesn't fit the tradition structure of an RPG, and can be hard for some people. Most people are used to players only having a reactive role in the group, and giving them the chance to take the wheel can result in blank stares or off-tone elements being introduced (read: silliness).
>>
>>50862023
>they get to decide what they come across in town

I'm literally a brand new player. I'm not intimately familiar with the setting, nor have I played before with this GM to be familiar with his own style, to be creating the right town elements with the proper tone.
>>
>>50862190
I'm talking about really silly stuff happening in a campaign that's meant to be serious or at least pulpy. Setting is medieval mice.
>>
>>50862023
So you're familiar with the system then? I usually try to do something similar with my DnD, usually i preface a session with, "I'm not here to hold your hands, this isn't a guided meditation, the world is yours to explore" etc.

How do you get players to be creative?

Answer: /sp/you dont
>>
>>50863430
Were you trying to spoil? And yes, it's hard. The only time it's worked for me was when I ran Houses of the Blooded for a group of friends, all of who were veterans and GMed fairly regularly.
>>
>>50863430
>How do you get players to be creative?

It's easy with children. Hell, trying to get them to stop for five seconds so you can roll some dice on the crazy stuff they're spitting out is hard.
It's later on that their imagination dies. I blame video games. That and lousy railroad DMs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.