[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a wargame.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1418271779071.jpg (633KB, 1980x2436px) Image search: [Google]
1418271779071.jpg
633KB, 1980x2436px
Hey /tg/. I always wanted to create a "wargame" if that is the correct term, basically a game where players select units/heroes/armies/whatever with different stats/abilities and then strategically battle one another. However i've honestly never really played one and I don't know too much about them. So I just want to get some info from you guys and maybe some possible ideas. Ideally I thought of playing the game based on a grid over roll20. So a couple of concepts that have troubled me

>Stat system
What kind of stats are generally attached to units/armies? Hit points? Strength? Defense?
>Abilities
Are active abilities a thing or is it usually only passive abilities? For example could there be a strong AoE missile that can only be launched every so often?
>Point buy system vs equal power
I know most wargames go by points, but what are thoughts on something like 4v4 where every unit has nearly equivalent power?
>Tracking stats/HP
How do you know when the tank is going to blow up? If you have many on the field how can you keep track of everything? This especially comes into play if there is anything like status effects.
>Turn order
How do you know who goes first? Does the first player move their whole army or just fast units?
>Match length
How long do matches usually last?

Anyways hope some of you can answer some of these questions. It'd be real helpful.
>>
>I want to make something that takes a significant amount of effort to create
>I have no experience with these things
>>
>>50841391
pond scum pls go
>>
>>50841074
You're not going to get anything helpful from here. Go play 40k, Warmachine, Infinity, ANYTHING.
>>
Hello friend.

I believe you are putting the cart before the horse. With the current data we can't give you many answers.

Some questions:
-What type of game is it? You go-I go? Simultaneous turn? If you're playing 4v4 you are going to have some loooong ass turns if you're not concise.
-What is the scale?
-Is it a skirmish game ( like 10 models a side with more depth per model? Think Infinity)
-Is it a tactical game (Think Xcom)
-Is it a strategy and maneuver game? (Think 40k).
-What is the theme/setting. This is usually easiest
-What sort of system would you like to use? D20, D6, Cards, etc.

Next question :

Would anyone play it? I don't mean in a critical acclaim sense but in a "jesus christ this is so boring there are so many rolls and nothing is getting accomplished" sort of way.

To get you started/to generate better questions have a look at the rules sets of:

-Battletech (Small unit count, detailed units, vehicle based)
-Warhammer 40k
-Age of Sigmar (this is largely considered to be the lowest barrier to entry and easiest to get into)
-Infinity
-Dust/Dust Tactics
-Catan (seriously. Catan.)
-RISK(Yes, seriously, risk)
-Flames of war.

You don't need to play all of these games but read the rules and try to get a good understanding of their ebb and flow.

It sounds very much like what you're actually describing is an RTS for a PC and is a completely different beast.
>>
>>50841391
Well i'm not going to buy some expensive ass figures just to play. I'm not planning to make a profit off this or anything its just something to do for fun.

>>50841425
Like I said I don't want to buy anything, but i'll try to "find" some rulebooks for things and read them.

>>50841630
>What type of game is it? You go-I go? Simultaneous turn? If you're playing 4v4 you are going to have some loooong ass turns if you're not concise.

I don't know yet which is why I wanted advice from what typical games will do. However if it was something like 4v4 it would probably be something like move one of your units and then your opponent moves one of his.

>skirmish,strategy,tactical
I was aiming for tactical, less units, but they can do alot more/have more depth as you put it.

>Theme/Setting
Fantasy basically. I know that covers alot.

>System
Once again I don't really know which is why I wanted input into what people liked. How exactly would cards work in a wargame?

>Would anyone play it?
Ehh I have a few friends who are willing to try stuff so if it does turn out boring I can just scrap it or work on it more.

>RTS for PC
I was actually thinking more like FFT, Disgaea, or 4e DnD combat that is based on a grid.

I'll start looking into some of these games. Thanks for the suggestions.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.