[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 37

File: 8chan_m6ng72ig491qjok2oo1_500.jpg (311KB, 425x590px) Image search: [Google]
8chan_m6ng72ig491qjok2oo1_500.jpg
311KB, 425x590px
Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$ [Embed] [Embed]

This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Not copying the fucking legacy casual pasta
RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/
>>
The fuck are the point of these threads any more?

It's always just shit posting and circle-jerking about how good people think they are.

Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>50832605
Kys you whiny fucking idiot
>>
File: IMG_0575.jpg (62KB, 687x609px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0575.jpg
62KB, 687x609px
>>50832605
Yapping with other like minded autists.
Even the most mentally handicapped enjoy social interaction with their peers.

>>50833013
See? If this guy wasn't allowed to Troll and distract himself from his shitty life he might actually negatively affect the life of an actual productive member of society.
>>
which deck should I netdeck?
>>
Birthing pod is gay and I'm glad it's banned.
>>
File: 1gglha.jpg (74KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
1gglha.jpg
74KB, 700x394px
>>
>>50832605
Shit-posting and circle-jerking on 4chan is all we got left man.

The format is as condemned as Legacy, it just needs a couple more years to decay. In the face of Wizards doing literally nothing to prop the format up, all we got left is to watch it burn.

If I actually heard anybody say in real life that Modern Masters helped us any, I seriously would want to staple their face to the wall. The people here and elsewhere shill that Modern attendance is through the roof but even if that were true, I am 100% that means that large cities are having objectively more events which overshadows the fact that smaller cities are hosting next to no Modern.

It would be nice if Wizards introduced Standard Showdown as an experiment to see if Saturday attendance is preferable to Friday. But we all know the real reason why they introduced it is because attendance has hit the shitter. They don't voluntarily send out free shit unless it gets upvotes on Reddit.

I wonder how much money it cost them extra to get those Standard Showdown packs printed and packaged.
>>
Holy shit is it 4chan in here. I like Talisman of Unity in tron, I was running it for Sacred Ground to fight Fulminator Mage. Eventually, I moved up to 3 instead of spheres because they do pretty good at fight land destruction and blood moon on their own. I also run main deck chalice instead of Spellskite because shutting off your deck is just better than shutting off a few spells.
I don't feel like path is all that great though, is it to fight dredge?
>>
File: 1450041964808.png (13KB, 446x361px) Image search: [Google]
1450041964808.png
13KB, 446x361px
>>50833342
Holy shit, I don't think I've ever heard of someone actively fucking up a good deck more with shit logic. Why don't you just take out 4 urza's mines and replace them with basics to play around fulminator?

Why doesn't burn replace 4 maindeck bolts with 4 maindeck lightning strikes to play around chalice. I mean literally, how can you be this stupid?
>>
File: 20161222_215841.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_215841.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>50833322
>>
What is the most competitive deck I can build with flooded strands and polluted deltas
>>
>>50833943
Burn
>>
>learn Alpha Investments got hacked and Rudy can't do shit to stop some middle eastern guy from stealing all his youtube bucks

Fucking hilarious. MTG Finance is a cancer.
>>
I added Bomat courier to my mono red rdw deck what do you guys think?
>>
>>50833973
But how do I play Burn without red
>>
>>50833342
Chalice...of the Void? in Tron? I don't understand. IMO in Modern, Chalice is best on 1. Why would you shut off your own:
>Chromatic Spheres
>Chromatic Stars
>Ancient Stirrings
>Expedition Maps
>Paths
That's a full third of your deck. And if you're not running these cards, then your Tron build is going to be less consistent at, y'know, assembling Tron.
>>
Breach Titan or Titan Shift? I have everything for the deck in paper minus the Breaches/Scapes, and I'm trying to choose between them. I'm leaning towards Scapeshift as it's slightly cheaper and I have a sneaking suspicion that SSG will get banned, making the Breach version worse and a fairer version with Bolts/Coursers/etc better. That being said, I think Breach is a little better in the current meta, and I love the actual card. The art, the feeling of casting it, the fact that it features one of my favorite mechanics...idk. What do you guys think.?
>>
File: 1471896129127.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
1471896129127.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>50833981

I feel bad for having this exact opinion.
>>
>>50834477
>>50833981

at least he is a bit better than MTGLion (not saying much). Why couldn't he be hacked instead?
>>
>>50834460
Beach has the dumbest errata of any card in competitive formats.
>>
File: 1457050557768.jpg (246KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
1457050557768.jpg
246KB, 627x502px
Hey what do you guys think of this deck, made it awhile ago and its currently my main modern.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/redwhite-samurai-tribal/
>>
>>50834460
I'd go with Breach from the sounds of it.
>>
Only 2 different deck types exist, holy crap is this format cancer
>>
>>50832605

Hey, at least you don't have to deal with the WR bull that most online games do, forcing you to do acedemic studies on the game before even playing it or be branded a shitter, or worse, the autism of the Chess community who believe that playing against anyone not better than them saps their "chessence".
>>
>>50834460
Basically the breach version commits a lot of slots to being a little bit faster and improves a bit against infect but at the cost of consistency. I think that if you're interested in playing a valakut deck, you're not playing it to beat infect or whatever have you, and as such, should play the slightly slower but more consistent version with scapeshifts since it does a much better job against everything bar the creaturr combo decks. But if you expect those, why play valakut is the first place?
>>
>>50834419
To be fair, Chalice is pretty good in Utron

I don't think that guy's playing Utron, though
>>
>>50834620
>MTGWion
I hate that lispy cunt
>>
>>50835546
It's one thing to hate on proxies. It's another thing to actually take action against proxies by showing in videos how to prove they're fake.

Lion is the latter. Fuck him.

I understand stores need to make money and the Chinamen have killed confidence in the market - stores never deserved that kick in the balls. All the effort seeing whether or not a card is fake wastes nobody but the store's time. No store except online stores should simply not be taking in any Vintage product not because it might be fake, but the fact that fakes exist means nobody is going to buy that shit. The only reason why proxies exist in their current form is because it's fucking profitable and easy to do.

You know what else is profitable and easy to do? Printing real cards and selling them to your fucking customers Wizards.
>>
>>50834419
i think its just so you can setup karn, but idk
>>
>>50833981
How can people claim being hacked when they got their shit stolen by a phishing email. Probably happens all the time to people we don't even fucking hear about.

You agreed to YouTube's terms. I'm sure a part of those terms includes "we don't give a fuck about you". They made a platform for you to entertain and gave you a rickety monetization system for you to use. If it's so fucking terrible you can just make your own website and have your fans, yunno the ones that care so much, just straight up send you real dollars.

If you want YouTube to do all the work, use YouTube. If you want a more secure way to protect your content, make a website. The real issue here is not getting phished, it's the fact that people willingly relinquish some of their business protections using another service and fucking whine about it when it burns them.
>>
>>50832605
We could talk about Hearthstone instead if you'd like, anon.
>>
Why is it that no one posts questions in the OP any more?

Were the questions that shitty or were the responses really that bad?
>>
>>50835939
Because a bunch of autists would start reeing about it.
>>
File: Image-20.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-20.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
Is mono green aggro/stompy a decent fnm deck? Or do I just get shit on by everything?
>>
>>50834126
Shocklands
>>
Holy shit desolatermagic is fucking retarded. I cant help myself. I keep watching his shit, just to hear his whining about "Netdeckers". Fuck you guys for showing that shit to me
>>
>>50834707
>The Idea here is to get out a door a destiny before playing any samurai, either taking damage as it comes or playing some the harms ways to cover your back.
>I should point out I can do in excess of 70 damage with life link and double strike by as early as turn 9.
Zoo/Tron/Infect will kill you way before then.
>>
>>50834707
>early
>turn 9
How slow is your meta?
>>
>>50837316
It's not bad at all for FNM.
>>
>>50833322
It didn't cost them shit. They just held onto a portion of the shipment of singles they usually send to SCG for secondary market sales and decided to use them to build a modicum of customer loyalty back before they fuck us hard in 2017.
>>
File: IMG_4747.jpg (149KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4747.jpg
149KB, 1280x800px
Why did it take so long for Burn to pick up Nacatl(after it was unbanned)? Seemed like there was a year or more before it became an auto-include in Naya Burn. Or is it just very meta-dependent?
>>
>>50838098
It's meta dependent. Philosophically, burn wants to blank as many of your removal spells by playing as few creatures as possible and making every topdeck live.

I actually can't see why Burn would want to run Nacatl. The other creatures are fine because they'll typically get their value in before they die.

It obviously gains percentage points. Some people have stuck with RW.
>>
>>50835728
Pretty much this. A turn 3 Karn or turn 4 Ugin is amazing against jeskai and jund, but right now the field is infect and dredge as far as the eye can see; neither is really worried about big, slow planeswalkers that come down a turn after your dead. Moving away from spheres and towards talismans makes you less vulnerable to your own chalice on one.
>>
>>50837931
Thanks. I'm just worried since I've never really played modern before, and the decks at my lgs (merfolk, scapeshift, tron,green blue control, and white black control) seem better. Any secret tech for the sb?
>>
>>50838684
Wtf is green blue control?
Mono green should be decent at racing most of those. If W/B control is anti-creature, it will probably be your toughest matchup. Well, a turn-3 wurmcoil from tron can really mess things up too.
>>
>>50835939
nobody gives a fuck about those, we just need a thread to talk about modern
>>
>>50832534
Not a competetion legal alter due to obstructed middle bar. Don't make a competitive general with an illegal alter.
>>
>>50838899
are you really autistic or just pretending?
>>
>>50832534
Can we have back the other who doesn't fucking self-abuse in public with his this shit-tier WotC shilling copy pasta?
>>
>>50838731
I have no idea lol an old acquaintance from school called it that, I just saw pongify and something with undying when he played next to me.
That bw control mainboards ghostly prison, so that will probably fuck me
>>
>>50838098
Basically, here's what happened: Theros dropped, and gave us Destructive Revelry making a G splash worth it in Burn. Enchantment and artifact removal plus burn on one card let us deal with problematic hate cards heavily played at the time (like Leyline of Sanctity). Then, with Khans block, we got Atarka's Command. Since we already splashed G for sideboard, why not make a slightly heavier splash and play those Skullcrack+. Oh wait, it has a mass pump mode for more damage. Now where could we find a great aggro creature that we can make use of in Naya colors that was just recently unbanned?

Personally, I don't run Nacatl. I find when I do, my mana base is guaranteed to hit me for 5- 7 each game, and honestly, that's too much for me. I play 3 Atarka's Command. It took me a while to find the right "Self Damage: Opponent Damage" ratio.

But I'm also a weird burn player. I only play two searing blaze (because it's a terrible topdeck without a land in hand or a fetch on board), I like searing blood (it basically does the same job as blaze), and I tend to play low and slow (holding back instants until I'm guaranteed to win. Bluffing stuff like Skullcrack or Boros charm to extend the damage from creatures)
>>
>>50835828
Are you retarded? youtube is has been moving capitals in the last decade they need to make sure that money goes to their owners, can you imagine if the billions pewdiepies makes end up in some ISIS bank account?
>>
File: gipxLWX.png (362KB, 1000x762px) Image search: [Google]
gipxLWX.png
362KB, 1000x762px
>>50832534
>those hands
yeesh

Can somebody help me make a sideboard for this? I've never been any good at putting one together.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-07-16-knightfall/
Meta is Jund, Tron, Infect, Zoo, a couple different Delver lists. Tron is especially tough to work around.
Other suggestions appreciated too.
>>
>>50839126
Just put a few green critters in your SB that eat Emchantments/Artifacts when they enter play and you'll be fine. Or straight up Naturalize effects.
>>
>>50839587
whatever you do, don't invest into the tron MU. it's a waste of SB slots for your deck
>>
>>50838684
green blue control and white black control aren't actual decks so you should be fine
>>
>>50834707
>sideboard 6
>as "early" as turn 9
Go back to edh
>>
>>50839840
>>50839888
Thanks senpai
>>
>>50838669
Still doesn't make sense to play GW tron with a maindeck card that shuts off your best green card and your best white card.
>>
>>50835051
See I actually think the Breach matchup is pretty good against infect. The list I have online has 4 maindeck Chalice of the Void which goes a long way, and postboard gets 2 Sudden Shock and a virtual 4 Melira (1 + 3 Pact).

My favorite match vs Infect involved me explaining to my opponent why Inkmoth Nexus does absolutely nothing with Melira out. The salt did flow
>>
>>50839587
>Jund
Seems like you're OK against jund as is. Just outvalue them with CoCo and Loxodon Smiter
>Tron
Bring in Stony Silences and Gaddock Teeg, then hope to get lucky. Maybe a Reclamation Sage as well.
>Infect
Melira. Pretty self-explanatory. Also Blessed Alliance
>Zoo
More Finks.
>Delver
Your creatures are better and you can play them at instant speed so you shouldn't have to sideboard too much. More Finks maybe
>Other Suggestions
Graveyard hate. RIP is obvious, but for the maximum cheese/surprise factor you also want 1x Bojuka Bog
>>
>>50834707

Your T2:
>I play Araba Mothrider, pass

My T2:
>I play goyf.

Gee it's gonna be a balanced match.
>>
>>50839840
>>50839126

Beast within works well as a sideboard card, especially as you can also use it against tron.
>>
>>50841592
Dude true. Thanks, will consider, friendo.
OK so one more question. 4 kalonian tusker or 4 garruks companion? Tusker survives any 2 damage wipe, but the same power with trample seems better.
>>
>>50841667
Tusker. You're probably using Rancors anyway right?
>>
>>50841667
Probably Companion since it makes your Aspects of Hydra/other pump spells better. The only removal spell it realyl makers a difference for is Pyroclasm and those aren't seeing as much play as they used to thanks to Anger of the Gods being a better meta call
>>
File: 686_phyrexianmana.jpg (52KB, 620x558px) Image search: [Google]
686_phyrexianmana.jpg
52KB, 620x558px
This kills the format
>>
>>50841802
I certainly love my Vault Skirges in Affinity.
>>
>>50838899
Thought only the name, mana cost which is obstructed here, and P/T had to be exposed?
>>
>>50841777
Yup, 4 of. The trample on a body just seemed too good tho
>>50841795
And that's what I was thinking.
>>
Blooming Marsh or Woodland Cemetery?
>>
File: Pack Rat FinalBest.png (283KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
Pack Rat FinalBest.png
283KB, 396x554px
Yo guys, what do ya think? I enjoy this deck alot, but i feel whenever i loose, its my fault, not the deck.
>>
>>50841667

>4 kalonian tusker or 4 garruks companion?

2x scavenging ooze. Shit just got reprinted and helps you a lot vs dredge/burn.
>>
>>50842427
Have those in the sb
>>
>>50842295
How important is it for you to play a black or green spell turn 1?
>>
>>50842297
forgot the link the deck... http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/8-ratrack/
>>
>>50842553
I've won games where I had no turn 1 play, but I'm running a mid-range tempo sort of deck so I feel a lot better when I can start the game off on a solid foot.

On the other hand, I keep thinking "If my hand has only a Woodland Cemetery and no Swamp or Forest to play before it, it's probably a bad hand I shouldn't keep in the first place."

Incidentally, my reason for asking this is because I'm dropping one to add some Overgrown Tombs I recently acquired and they DO count as Swamps/Forests for Woodland Cemetery.
>>
>>50842584
>>50842297
Seems like a really fun fnm deck actually, but I wouldn't take it to a tournament. I'd also run 4 of rat.
>>
>>50842529

They're worth to be played mainboard. Ooze brings way more to the table than Garruk's companion.
>>
>>50835614
>printing real cards and selling them to your customers

Woah there. wouldn't want to upset investors or collectors or whatever, and formats might become more affordable.

No, the better idea is to print another glorified draft set, throw a bunch of old cards in but make them mythic rare and glue a $9.99 pricetag on the boosters. way better. :^)

Imagine if modern masters '17 is going to be $9.99 and doesn't even have a lotv or snapcaster reprint.
>>
>>50846452
Calling it now.
Snapcaster at mythic
Delver at rare
>>
>>50846744
Delver at uncommon
>>
File: ALL_COLORS.jpg (346KB, 1092x1348px) Image search: [Google]
ALL_COLORS.jpg
346KB, 1092x1348px
>>50841802
this is the format horoscope
>>
>>50832534
Where do you guys buy your playmats?

I want to get one just to use as a big mouse pad. Preferably something anime-ish like Hayao Miyazaki
>>
>>50846452
I just want sub $1 bolts. A common that needs to be in so many decks should not be so expensive.
>>
>>50847398
>4$ for a playset of the best card ever
>something to complain about
Dude just bite the bullet and buy your fuckin bolts

>tfw play monoblue
>people bitch about Blood Moon all the time
>forget all about Choke and Boil
>"greedy manabase" (mostly just basic islands desu) gets btfo, and the only way to remedy this is in the slightest is to either pre-emptively fuckify the manabase or shell out $$$ for the minamo/oboro package, which gives you the slightest edge vs those cards
>I don't even play merfolk
>>
>>50847597
I haven't seen anyone packing choke/boil in modern since twin got the hammer. must be a local meta choice.
>>
File: IMG_20161204_120725.jpg (14KB, 362x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161204_120725.jpg
14KB, 362x180px
>>50847021
I play temur and I am a try hard.
>>
>>50847021
I play BW hatebears but I'm not Chinese?
>>
>>50846744
Delver's never getting reprinted outside of a double-faced card set. It would be too much effort for them to introduce flip cards and their checklist cards because you can already imagine players going "where is flip card X or my checklists" if they exclude them. Hoard your fucking $2 common Delvers while you can.
>>
>>50848313
yfw the next modern masters is a flip set and they reprint delver
>>
>>50848900
What the fuck are they going to reprint? Delver and Jace? Avacyn?

Fill a flip checklist card for me. It's just not going to happen.

But that's the rational me talking. The part of me that hates Wizards means they're going to do it anyways to the benefit of nobody. They're going to reprint Mayor and Ludevic's Test Subject even though those were promos just to spite absolutely everyone.

This time next year the game will be dead anyways - that's not "the sky is falling" talk, that's talk backed up by the obvious signs that Magic attendance is shitting itself everywhere - Standard Showdown wouldn't be a thing if attendance wasn't crapping out. The only people left playing will be the diehards.
>>
>>50848949
Thing in the Ice and Huntmaster of the Fells off the top of my head
>>
File: 7ciLAsg.jpg (29KB, 100x175px) Image search: [Google]
7ciLAsg.jpg
29KB, 100x175px
Can't decide on what deck to bring to my next serious tournament. I've narrowed selection down to some that I like:

Skred Red
Been playing it way before Mackie's finish but w/e, it's still really great against big parts of the meta, but very dependant on good draws.

Dredge
I feel like the meta has adapted to this one just too much to breach through an 8 round tournament.

Thing Ascension
This one I really love to play, and I like it's resilience over other similar decks and the way you can adapt your role in a match. However I feel it's often 1-2 turns too slow against many decks.

UR Prowess / Kiln Fiend
I feel like this works a lot like Thing Ascension, but trading in the resilience and flexibility for faster kills.

Jeskai Aggro / Mantis Rider
I'm not even sure this is a good deck, but it's an oddball that's also got the potential to adapt to lots of situations

What do you guys think
>>
>>50849154
Play the red blue prowess, it's fun as fuck.
>>
File: newtgingrichisahugefaggot.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
newtgingrichisahugefaggot.png
1MB, 1366x768px
Is this what all modern players are like?
>>
when you 2-0 skred in 12 minutes
>>
>>50840839
Just got home, thanks for the suggestions.
>Jund
Yeah, it's a fine matchup, not worth slotting for.
>Tron
I've had Stony Silences in the back of my mind in case Affinity started showing up, but yeah I suppose it works for Tron. Gaddock is nice too, I never seem to think of him outside of the commander setting.
>Infect
Melira is solid. Blessed is a cute workaround for Vines/Blossoming, and some nice modes for other matchups too. Going to have to look through all the recent modal spells again too.
>Zoo
I used to run 4 Finks because of all the burn, but those went away. Might have to bring them back.
>Delver
I might just go with more Geists. Finks are good for winning the tempo race too, yeah.
>RIP
Can't do it because of the KotRs. I'll probably just go with more Scoozes if I notice Dredge lists showing.
>Bojuka Bog
I tend to keep one of these in my sideboard in any brew that runs KotR. It's such a sweet feeling.
>>
>>50847021
Wouldn't temur be the turbo cucks and grixis be the tryhards given that grixis delver is about 100 times more successful than almost anything temur has produced in years?
>>
>>50839587
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/31-07-16-knightfall/

I don't think you need fiend hunter if you're playing path

I don't think you need 3 stubborn denials either, at least not main board

I played a deck like this and I really really like courser or kruphix and eternal witness
>>
>>50850977
>I don't think you need fiend hunter if you're playing path
Probably not, yeah. I just like having a CoCoable path. They're in a flex spot anyway.
>I don't think you need 3 stubborn denials either, at least not main board
I haven't tried the list with more than 2 yet. I just bumped back up to 4 Smiters so I really wanted to see how Denial performed. But yeah, another flex spot.

>Courser
Good in MTGO, annoying in paper. If I do combo with one out, it's just a lot of triggers to track, as well as a library reveal between each library search. It is good otherwise though.
>Et Wit
Yeah she's cool. I just found that every time I pulled CoCo out of the graveyard, I didn't need to cast it again. I'll try it again though.

Thanks
>>
>>50851055
I didn't see you were running the retreat to coral helm lol

Also there is some spicy sideboard teck for burn, Rhox war monk, looks like shit on paper but plays out really nicely

Also don't underestimate the tilt factor of eternal witness, I've had opponents at a GP scoop to it off a coco hit in rage
>>
>>50851076
>Rhox war monk, looks like shit on paper but plays out really nicely
I got into the game with Alara block. Good old pancake flipper has always been a pet favorite and he's recently become my boltproof Finks #5-6.

>don't underestimate the tilt factor of eternal witness, I've had opponents at a GP scoop to it off a coco hit in rage
Now that you mention it, yeah, hope just disappears when CoCo hits Witness.
>>
>>50851143
I sold out of the deck to help build jund and teck against jund is basically to just out value them, Jund is just ultra efficient 1/1 spells, if you can get card advantage and stabilize you're going to win, One really good sideboard card was resto angel, blanking removal, resetting blockers or "drawing cards" off witness is just an absolute hosing for them

Also I've seen lists splashing black for lingering souls, it's crazy good against infect and affinity
>>
>>50851185
>185 â–¶
>>>50851143
>>50851143
Oh and if you splash black you get orzov pontiff which is card infect can't beat
>>
>>50851185
>>50851189
I already have a small red Splash for Kessig, and 5 color is too greedy for me. I do run a Melira deck with a similar shell though, so I might try Lingering in there (Pontiff's already in).

I was thinking about Resto when I was shitbrewing Eldritch Evolution. But the Smiters and Finks handle Jund pretty nicely. I'll try a 1x anyway.
>>
File: K 001.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
K 001.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>50832534 (OP)

LoL...

>This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play.

In 1993 you played MtG to make friends.

In 2016 you are either Mr. POWER Gaymer or a shill "investor."

:(
>>
>>50852019
You give it shit, but since that has been in the OP, we have had less people come in with basic rule questions or posting "budget gruul aggro.dec" or "I'm on a 15 dollar budget. Build me a competitive deck". The worst offenders, IMO, are the people who post homebrews and claim "it's a tier 2 deck", which just broadcasts that they have no idea about the modern meta, or what tier means (that part really triggers my autism). It's not meant to be a "GP top 8er's only", but to let people know that this isn't a casual thread
>>
>>50850264
Smug faggots who play uninteractive goldfish combo decks like ad nauseam? No, some of us actually like to play magic
>>
>>50852371
>my fun is the only kind of fun allowed!
>>
>>50850423
>tfw blood moon lets you hardcast Kiki

Man, boltyourthings.dec really should have held onto a removal spell.

>>50852315
It's so pretentious and probably contributes to people shitposting moreso than otherwise. The last OP was solid for not including it and the thread seemed more vibrant.
>>
File: 20161224_141645.png (125KB, 359x289px) Image search: [Google]
20161224_141645.png
125KB, 359x289px
>>50852315
>>50852315
>>
>>50847021
>poor

Excuse you but I play G/R Tron. :^)
>>
>>50852371
Tapping creatures is not "magic", nor is it "fun" for everyone.

If I wanted to "attack with cool creatures", I'd play Yu-Gi-Oh.

Also, if you think that tapping creatures is interactive - you're retarded. Same as if you think only combo decks are "goldfish".

All decks are interactive when you're dealing with stack, counters and discards/removal and "stax/workshops" decks are just as goldfish as combo ones.

Difference is - the meta they create is far more interactive than "Creatures: The Tappening".

Sadly, WotC cares about selling new shitty products to casuals for extra shekels and you morons can't grasp anything past tapping creatures. Same reason we can't have counterspell reprinted, because you morons find it "not fun", while discard does exactly fucking same on paper, but you don't get to feel bad that what you wanted to do was negated, so you don't cry about it.

Neck yourself.
>>
>>50852019
So for you this current era of magic is the power gamer area? Have you seriously looked at the new sets and commander being the main format now? Shit even commander-only cards are being printed in new sets now, shows how much that they fucked up everything but think that commander players are the only worthy ones or receiving new shit.
>>
>>50852371
>some of us actually like to play magic
If you're playing the game with Magic cards, youre playing Magic. This meme needs to die
>>
>>50833322
Nowadays it's easier to find people to play Legacy with than Modern because people are at least actually exited to find someone to play Legacy with while nobody wants to play Modern unless there's a nice prize on the line.
>>
Frontier will hopefully kill modern and convince the world that extended was a better idea.
>>
>>50853520
You retards actually believe a format where already half of the good manabase is only available, that ressembles standard and that will, down the line, have the same problems as modern will save MTG? Please.
>>
>>50838098
Green wasn't worth it until Atarka's Command.
Burn doesn't win anymore anyway.
>>
>>50853520
>go to modern night at lgs
Tons of people, play well past closing time
>go to frontier night
Literally only me, a friend, and the owner
>feelsbatman
>>
Can i making money with buying pack and selling cards?
>>
>>50853538
I'm hoping that before the format is finalized they'll make it rotating, but on a long cycle.

Goldfish had a good article on it: every 4 years the format rotates, dropping 4 years worth of cards. 8 years worth of cards in the format at its largest.
>>
>>50835939

Autists went "QUESTIONS ARE GAY REEEEEEE"

I thought they were fine, they were a good way to start discussion because people really did read the answers
>>
>>50852928

>All decks are interactive when you're dealing with stack, counters and discards/removal and "stax/workshops"

Eggs is the most interactive modern deck. It's official now.
>>
>>50853720
This. Those posts actually helped conversation, because of all the nuances in local metas
>>
>>50853720
>>50853877
Lmao fuck off. Nobody ever replied. It was just a way for people to beg for attention and post their decks
>>
>>50853586
Seems way too early to try to make Frontier happen. Surprised any shop made an attempt.
>>50853612
So you lose 4 years worth of cards all at once? That sounds horrible. You'd lose so many fair decks by doing that. Standard's model cannot simply be strung out across a longer timeline and offer the same benefits. Consider all the changes that Modern has had during its run, and that it's only been a format for 5 and a half years. Imagine if they were to lose half their card pool in one day. Long term formats use bans to take out unfair decks and adjust metas.
>>
>>50853996
>no one ever replied to me, so they're dumb!

I'm sorry you're such a boring person. No one really cares about your special snowflake Catfolk deck.
>>
File: 1438713218000.png (117KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
1438713218000.png
117KB, 500x419px
>>50847021
>mfw rakdos master race
>>
>>50853996
The only people that don't like them were the people who wanted the head cannon, legacy general rip off, "mythic tier" as the OP. The general has an actual tier list to post, and the questions almost always help prop up the thread from just shit posting. Even if they got know replies, it is still modern discussion about where the format is headed. It's always been shitposters who hate any kind of constructive discussion in here
>>
>>50854030
I mean I didn't say any of that, but whatever you need to tell yourself champ
>>
>>50854054
>implying
>projection
The only decks that got replies were the ones worth replying to
>>
>>50854029
The format has to rotate anon. Rotating every four years is way better than rotating every year.

If you think that is at all comparable to the standard rotation, you're retarded.
>>
>>50854091
Wrong again. Literally just samefags just trying to get a pat on the back for playing shit like lantern and norin sisters or bug midrange
>>
File: IMG_0001.jpg (2MB, 3725x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0001.jpg
2MB, 3725x1040px
>whatcha playin'?

>buildin' anything?

>whatcha hatin'?

>what's ya favorite sideboard tech, and why?
>>
>>50854029
The shop made an attempt because the players asked for it, then didn't show. I just want to play atarka red :(
>>
>>50854108
>The format has to rotate anon.
This is not a truth that is self-evident. Frontier does not have to be Extended. I read the article, the guy does not understand that the feeling of a format will change over time. Each new set will eventually have less and less impact on a format.

>If you think that is at all comparable to the standard rotation, you're retarded.
It is exactly what standard rotation is, but they turn "new set releases" into "years". This means sets are going to last 5-8 years. That is far too long for any of the benefits presented in the article to manifest. Again, compare Modern, which has only been a format for less than 6 years.

Frontier can be Modern 2.0, even if it starts out feeling like Standard Plus because of its small starting size. Everyone keeps looking to Frontier to solve every problem associated with Magic, but that's ridiculous. New players will play kitchen table. Established players will pick a format.
>>
>>50854108
Extended was complete shit. Anything that rotates that isn't standard will not get picked up because everyone remembers how shitty extended was. There is a reason it was phased out and replaced.
>>
>>50854357
Surveys never get going mid thread. Why do people keep trying to make it work?
>>
>>50854503
Yeah, because wizards killed the format. With the new number of blocks per rotation I wonder if extended were actually become fun, or just show the homogeny of wizards new design philosophy
>>
>>50850865
Valid point.
>>
>>50852872
Money bags.
You are like the 1% of your clan and you know it
>>
>>50854503
Extended was great before wizards killed it. But then you wouldn't know, since you started with theros.
>>
>>50854560
No it wasn't. Most players hated it, and the horrible attendance rate for extended tournaments proved that. Wizards killed it for a reason.
>>
>>50854511
They've revived a thread before. If it doesn't help I'll blame it on the weekend and Christmas.
I know because I've done it to spite a "survey sucks" anon before.
>>
>>50854357
>whatcha playin'?
Affinity. Took apart Burn because I rarely play.
>buildin' anything?
Debating on whether or not I want to build towards Jund or something with Snapcasters in it.
>whatcha hatin'?
Living in the rural southeast US with the closest shop an hour away.
Blood Moon, especially on the play. Rarely I can drop it 1st turn, and then they can't even fetch for basics.
>>
>>50854357
>whatcha playin'?
5c Tron. Lost against Ad Nauseum one too many times and said fuck it. I run a playset of city of brass and 3 remand in the sideboard. It also means dismember is less painful to run, while being able to run duress or IoK for an even better AN match -up.

>buildin' anything?
Naya burn and WG soul sisters

>whatcha hatin'?
Ad Nauseum. That match up was almost impossible with Gr or GW, but now I have some side tech against it. The eldrazi decks around here are more mid-rangey it feels like, so I don't have to run as much grave hate as I otherwise would have to

Remand for reasons stated above. The card draw is a huge bonus and replaces the cantrips effect of canopy
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 223x310px
>>50855020
Based 5c Tronbro, you should definitely pack 4 Angel's Grace in the sideboard. Beat those pesky AdNaus players at their own game.

I'm not certain if the guys at your local meta run LabMan mainboard, but even if they do you can bait out their Simians, wait for them to Lightning Storm, then Grace em, and they should be out of mana at that point.

Alternatively, I'm pretty sure that AdNaus doesn't maindeck Echoing Truth or Slaughter Pact (correct me if I'm wrong though), so a mainboard Platinum Angel will screw them over really badly. It's not a halfbad card either vs tougher matchups (burn/infect) and Shoktroopa jams one in Bluetron to decent effect.

Alternatively, this spicy 8th edition reprint in the sideboard can do wonders.
>>
>>50855122
*semi-notserious on the Angel's Grace (as that's a lot of sb slots to cheese one matchup)

But the Jesters Cap tech is fuckin real.
>>
>>50854357
>whatcha playin'?
living end

>buildin' anything?
Thinking about building eldrazi.

>whatcha hatin'?
dredge, because it does what my deck does but better. and everyone packs more GY hate because of it. DESU I'd be playing dredge if I wasn't already invested in living end. I like graveyard decks. If it doesn't get efuckulated in the B&R update I might try scrapping living end (at least the mana base, rest of the deck is worthless) and buy dredge

my SB doesn't really have any "tech" inclusions, it's pretty standard. The slaughter games are a little out dated since I hardly see ad nauseam or RUG scapeshift anymore.
>>
>>50855288
Poor living end players. You're decks became worthless once a better version of got unbanned. The true cucks of modern
>>
>>50854738
Petty bitch
>>
>>50855760
Lol, stay salty.
>>
>>50855020
>WG soul sisters
What does G give you besides going from 8 to 12 sisters? I feel like R for Norin is just better?
>>
>>50856295
Eh I'm building it for my gf. So yeah more sisters and some artifact haye
>>
>>50856369

You already have a lot of artifact hate in W
>>
>>50854357

>whatcha playin'?
Mardu nahiri
>buildin' anything?
Nope
>whatcha hatin'?
Tron, AN and scape. I have to scoop against those.
No tech in particular, I just enjoy the sb mardu offers.
>>
>>50856264
Says the guy doing things to spite others lmao
>>
>>50854357
Playin' jund and infect.
Buildin' Eldrazi for legacy :3
Hatin' the format at the moment. Just too fast, but at least it's diverse.
Side boardin' engineered explosives is such a good card.
>>
File: IMG_5360.png (78KB, 288x185px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5360.png
78KB, 288x185px
>>50856446
It's already livened up the thread beyond shitposting.
>>
>>50856295
Norin just seems so slow to me. Wouldn't drawing any other creature or token creator be better? Or is the fact he's so hard to get rid of what makes him stand out?
>>
>>50856369
>btw I have a gf
>>
>>50857116
Soul Sisters isn't about getting a fast kill, but he is a 1-drop that is hard to get rid of. What makes him stand out is Genesis Chamber and Purphoros.
The only thing I could see green offering (8 sisters is plenty) is Melira for those infect matchups.
>>
File: IMG_5377.jpg (41KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5377.jpg
41KB, 223x310px
>>50857652
Pic related maybe?
>>
How easy is the transition from ygo to mtg?
>>
>>50858135
Fairly easy- go to a FNM and join in a draft.

As far as rules go, I have no idea. I went straight to MTG. It's not hard to learn though.
>>
>>50858135
I play both. If you pick MTG Origins Duels on steam or whatever the fuck, you'll pick up the rules easily. It's easier to go from ygo to mtg than the otherway around.

-The biggest change is the land system, you actually have to pay costs to play cards (usually, but the most powerful of the game mechanics).

-The next biggest thing is keywords. YGO doesn't really adopt keywords that often. In MTG, every set introduces new mechanics.

-After that, there's colors, which reduce the ubiquity of certain cards.

-Besides that, the most basic of formats (limited, standard and casual) are slow enough that you'll be reminded of 2003 Yugioh. It's only in older formats of play that games speed up. MTG in this day and age is a lot less combo centric, so it'll feel like going from manual to automatic.
>>
>>50858508
>Casual magic is automatically low power

Maybe for you turbo-scrub
>>
File: IMG_0041.jpg (87KB, 625x555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0041.jpg
87KB, 625x555px
>>50860418
Better be bringing your power nine to my kitchen table or you can stay the fuck home.
>>
File: jundemout.jpg (191KB, 1122x794px) Image search: [Google]
jundemout.jpg
191KB, 1122x794px
How's my delver deck?
>>
>>50861955
Looks like it's a Top 8 for sure.
>>
>>50861955
It's like you don't want delver to actually flip
>>
>>50860798
I'm sure
>>
What are my options for mono red (8 wahck goblins) to fuck enchants like Worship off? I got memed by one yesterday vs bant Eldrazi.
>>
>>50863267
Throw in some stomping grounds and sideboard Destructive Revelry.
>>
>>50863280
Yeah but the problem is then I have to grab stomping grounds, destructive rev and atarkas command to make better use of the green splash. I've already got this deck on paper (and majority of what I said about green splashing from building burn as well) and playing it online as well and don't really feel like dropping more money on stomping grounds and atarka's online.
>>
>>50861955
>didn't even change the lands
Oh I'm laffin
>>
File: archboundravager.jpg (48KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
archboundravager.jpg
48KB, 265x370px
Legacy player here. I don't play this format filled with crybabies but I am curious, do you guys like to pimp out your deck with these styled cards?
>>
File: CxP9cKKW8AEYd9Q.jpg (43KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
CxP9cKKW8AEYd9Q.jpg
43KB, 750x750px
>>50863657
>Legacy player here
>I don't play this format filled with crybabies
>Legacy player
>>
>>50863710
Considering nobody in my meta bitches about bans or decks being too fast, yeah I'd say modern is full of crybabies
>>
>>50848204
No tryhard actually calls it "temur" you shit dick
>>
>>50863741
Least it's full
>>
File: 1482304041509.jpg (10KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
1482304041509.jpg
10KB, 200x303px
>>50863759
>least it's full
>implying most people didn't move to legacy with all the bans in modern

Can't afford dual lands or just don't want to pay the chinaman?
>>
>>50863781
That's funny coz all the legacy players moved to modern here.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 223x310px
>>50863325
Blasphemous Act, Chain Reaction, something janky like Ratchet Bomb, or this spice here.
>>
>>50863741
The fact that you're not crying in solidarity with fellow Magic players to promote the game and demand that Wizards take action to print more cards, a problem that YOUR format suffers from more than no other format sans Vintage, means that we are failing able to mobilize the community to save this game because people like you won't care until it happens in your own backyard, which by then will be too late to save this game.
>>
>>50863804
Why are you suggesting stuff like blasph act and chain reaction. I want to get rid of ENCHANTMENTS not creatures, let alone wipe out my board as well.
>>
>>50863803
>people move to a dead format

You sure you ain't confusing modern with edh?

>>50863814
YOUR format suffers
I've had all my cards since I started back in 1999, I'm not at a loss for any more prints. Its easy to attempt to poke fun when you know YOUR format revolves around 3 archetypes instead of 6-7
>>
>>50863657
Not a fan of most of the Kaladesh Invention arts, so no. I don't tend to pimp out my decks anyway.

Also did you really come here to ask, or just stir shit up?
>>
>>50863867
>modern
>dead

Gaffaw. Last GP here which was at the start of the year was Modern with 1,100+ turnout. When was the last time Legacy got a GP?
>>
>>50863897
Not at all just replying to the sole dumbass who got his panties in a bunch. I just remember the hype around the Zendikar Expeditions and figure I see what modern thinks of it

>>50863913
>provided solid facts as to why modern is dead in the sensible sense
>well we had alot of people at GP

Keep moving them goalposts
>>
>>50863867
>I'm not at a loss for any more prints. Its easy to attempt to poke fun when you know YOUR format revolves around 3 archetypes instead of 6-7

Modern is significantly more diverse right now than legacy, what the fuck are you talking about kid?
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 312x445px
>>50863832
Thought it worked like Phyrexian Unlife for a sec :/ I suppose if you have a bolt in hand those would work.

Wizards really needs to allow red/black some form of creative enchantment removal.

Ratchet Bomb it is I suppose.

What red needs is a cheaper, single target version of this.
>>
>>50854357

>whatcha playin'?
UW Super Friends

>buildin' anything?
Is there a combo that can utilize Dark Petition?

>whatcha hatin'?
Tron. I almost exclusively play Azorius or Esper and tron make me weep.

Runed Halo = anti- Valakut, Infect, Ad Nauseum, Boggles, Lilliana, man lands, etc., etc. Good times

But seriously, is there any combo deck in modern that could benefit from Dark Petition?
>>
>>50863950
>UH UH UH UH WELL JUST BECAUSE YOU HAD OVER ONE THOUSAND (1000) PEOPLE TURN UP TO PLAY MODERN DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT ISN'T DEAD AND YOU'RE JUST MOVING THE GOAL POSTS
Face it, my tiny LGS gets 20+ modern players on FNM a week and your garage gets a maximum of 5 legacy players a month.

>>50863979
Yeah unlife I can deal with because I'd have a gew goblins on board but Worship fucked me over and Ratchet Bomb is a little too slow. Hell my most expensive card is 3CMC and I am only running 1 copy of it. I guess I'm going to either have to splash white or green to help out.
>>
>>50864018
Not him but legacy had a GP back in June with 1800+ in attendance you're kidding yourself if you think legacy is dead. Both formats are shit regardless
>>
>>50860418
In my experience, casual has potential for higher power than vintage but players aren't aware of the interactions.

I can't tell you how many casual decks I've seen with 4 Sol Rings but are shit outside of trying to ramp stuff.
>>
>>50864006
Ad nauseum would bring in enchantment hate against a white deck anyway
>>
>play in MODO modern league
>first 3-2, 80 points so get to go again
>just finished my second with 5-0

I feel like I'm actually decent at Magic! Now to open nothing but disappointment from these treasure boosters.
>>
>>50864732
True. But It is still good. It establishes an answer to half the problem. Honestly stony silence preventing them from going off in a timely fashion has been my best enchantment against them.

Considering a one of Rule of Law. I keep facing them at my local store. And Rule Means they have to hard cast the Enchantment destruction up front instead of mid combo (as Patrician's Scorn usually is).
>>
>>50864793
What are you running to go 3-2 and 5-0?
>>
File: 28019be5229ea073edccdc44290be03b.jpg (868KB, 1532x845px) Image search: [Google]
28019be5229ea073edccdc44290be03b.jpg
868KB, 1532x845px
>>50864915
Goblin 8 Whack. See pic. Unhappy with the sideboard at the moment, thinking about putting in some Leyline of Punishments because both my losses in 3-2 were to getting outraced by G/W hexproof and their daybreak coronet.

Opened my 8 chests, some decent pulls:
Raging Ravine, Lotus Petal, Sanctum Prelate, Kaladesh Booster, Scroll Rack (Masterwork)
>>
>>50865029
That single white border mountain is troll as fuck.
>>
>>50863657
I like having Japanese text on some cards if given the option, but I don't really go out of my way to acquire it. Same goes for foils.
>>
Is Wizards ever going to get serious about reducing the price of modern?
Will Modern Masters ever have any significant number of reprints?
>>
>>50865029
>those lands
excellent taste
>>
>>50865201
If you ask me it's too late. The only people playing are the people who got in early. Nobody in their right mind would enter the format as-is and whoever entered with Modern Masters was more or less an idiot.

There are people out there who entered Modern who got their deck banned, picked up another deck, and ate another ban and who knows what sequence followed that but the punchline is, "they stopped playing Modern."

The thing is about a community is that it's much easier to maintain it than revive it. Basically, it's easier to convince people to continue showing up time after time than convince them to adopt a schedule of regular play. We're at the point where it's dead and you have to build the community from scratch.

Personally Wizards has exhausted the community's love. The effort players and stores were willing to put in has been squandered when Wizards did not reciprocate any of it. I seriously don't feel like they've done a single thing right with Modern since they banned Blazing Shoal. Everything's been just a bad decision followed by immediately fixing a bad decision.
>>
>>50865201
No. Wizards likes modern staples being expensive because if they ever design a shit set they can just shove some staples in it to make it sell a la khans fetches
>>
>>50865283
Aren't they doing that with these masterpieces? Except these things aren't even staples.
>>
>>50865294
and people are slowly catching on to how they appear so infrequently that it hardly even counts as a reprint and only the genuinely foolish are still playing the expedition/masterpiece lottery
>>
>>50865294
Masterpieces are a more significant cost in terms of art, and their rarity means they don't bring up the EV of a pack as much. If they really want to sell packs reprinting staples is far better, but they don't have enough cards to put many high price reprints in every set like they can put masterpieces in.
>>
>>50865299
>people are slowly catching on
>slowly
I feel that the only reason why Wizards is allowed to pull their bullshit is because the community is too stupid or too busy circle jerking to realize it's being neglected.
>>
>>50865307
>EV
EV doesn't matter as much as much as the extra gambling tax associated with mythic+ cards
the cost of packs/boxes isn't exactly a linear relationship with the EVs
>>
the real problem is whatever stupid ass hole in charge told them they can't print any good cards in standard. people might have moaned and pissed and bitched and whined about thoughtseize in theros but god damnit the turn out then was better than it is now. even if people are vocally little bitches about powerful cards, the silent players are really fucking happy to be playing with powerful cards. god damn cunt fucklesticks. My LGS can't even get events to fire anymore, everyone has just lost interest. the only nights that people play are proxy modern and proxy legacy.

I was talking to the owner after everyone left and he told me shit is getting pretty bad for him, players wont even take sealed product as prize support anymore, they say "just refund my entry fee" even when the entry fee is less than the prize value they would have received. He said he thought about saying no and making them take boosters but he didn't want to think about what would happen if they flat out refused to take the boosters and just stopped coming to play.

People have been memeing it for a long time but I'm afraid we're actually witnessing the death of this fucking game
>>
>>50865312
Part of the blame is on competing games, which just don't have the same level of depth as Magic (even post-NWO)
>>
>>50863657
>COUNTERSPELL
every single time
>>
>>50865339
Nobody can actually say anything bad about Magic as a game. It's actually fucking fantastic.

When you have a bulletproof solid product like that and people start talking shit, they're not talking about the game itself - they're talking about all the non-game parts of the game. I think that is the surest sign that whatever they're complaining about is very fucking real. It's not some outsider saying "Fuck Nintendo" without knowing what they're talking about, the people complaining about Magic probably are very involved with the game.

What I don't fucking understand is why the prominent "celebrities" in the Magic community don't make these issues their primary crusade. If I were to use Reddit as the center of the community, they're just ignoring the issues. The most powerful individuals in this game are doing absolutely none of the shittalking. The have everything and the game is burning around them but they got theirs.
>>
>>50865391
Not that guy, but I think everyone recognizes that the game is way too damn expensive, and is vocal about it, but Wizards isn't going to actually do anything about it so long as they keep buying product.
>>
>>50865391
Like, look at the current "big" issue in Magic right now. A fucking secondary market investor got his YouTube jacked and everyone is weeping for his plight.

I don't bemoan some guy profiting off something that is profitable. However, as an entity profiting off cardboard game pieces his existence is horseshit and people SHOULD be acknowledging that this guy's existence represents everything wrong with Magic.

He makes like $2000 a month from YouTube and another $10,000 from Patreon making videos talking about fucking investing in copious amounts of Magic. Again, all the power to him, but his livelihood should not be fucking real at all.
>>
>>50865420
Fuck no. Nobody important is talking about it. MaRo doesn't talk about it. LSV and Marshall are in Wizards' fucking pocket so they don't talk about it. Loading Ready Run doesn't talk about it. ChannelFireball and Starcity don't talk about it - obviously it is detrimental to their business model to talk about it. The Goldfish guy only provides budget options, which is a pussy way of fence sitting and dancing around the issue.

The only people who talk about it are nobodies and us, who are beneath anybody's attention.
>>
>>50865428
A healthy secondary market keeps prices lower than they would be without it.
People sitting on old booster boxes do not represent everything wrong with Magic.
Wizards being fucking assholes and not reprinting much needed staple cards is.
>>
Is it bad that I feel like shit for calling out misplays? This guy cast Apostle's Blessing naming red, then tried to cast Temur Battle Rage.

Am I a cunt in that situation for not letting him do it over?
>>
>>50865453
No one talks about it very much because it's old fucking news. Card prices have been too high for a very long time now.

And I think Tolarian (who has more subs than the channels you listed) talks about it fairly often.
>>
>>50865478
Nah you aren't a cunt

That's the only way people learn
>>
>>50865478
Depends on the context, is this a kitchen table? How experienced is the guy you're playing against?
If it isn't a kitchen table and the guy has experience, you should call him out, just be polite about it. How you say something is often more important than the exact words you use.
>>
>>50865478
>Am I a cunt in that situation for not letting him do it over?
Depends

If you're playing for any kind of prize pool, no not really. If you're just playing for fun or at a free casual fnm, then yes.
>>
File: 1446794958718.jpg (165KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1446794958718.jpg
165KB, 439x550px
>want to finish my modern dredge
>afraid of some part being banned because Wizards is retarded
>already been burned by Pod and Twin
>>
>>50865478
It really depends on the situation.

In most situations you're not a dick for making them live with their mistake. Because people have to learn; and if they aren't adult enough to understand that you can only hope they'll realize the value of it later.

But when I'm practicing with people like jamming dozens of games to learn matchups we always let people take everything back and discuss mistakes because we want to see how the deck operates at peak play and nobody learns anything winning off the back of a fuck-up.
>>
>>50865493
>>50865502
>>50865498
It was at a game night, and he was 2-0 at that point. I just felt kinda bad since he would have won had he named something else (he chose red because he thought I was holding a Galvanic Blast).
>>
>>50865478
Feeling like shit is a good sign. But it is also good to maintain the integrity of the rules, it's the only way to make people better.
>>
>>50865510
>banning dredge
>with all the graveyard hate this game provide
check this if you want but i'm pretty sure there will be no ban
>>
>>50865489
If Tolarian talks about it, it's a discussion nobody gives a shit about.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't show up on the front page of Reddit, then it he might as well have not said it.

That may seem ridiculous, but that is the measure of discourse nowadays. Reddit is THE front page of the community. And if it's not on the front page it's irrelevant, like important news stories on page 4.
>>
>>50865542
I know there is a lot of hate for dredge but I also see a lot of people in the community complain or hate on the deck and I feel like that influences Wizards decision too (i.e. Twin ban)
>>
>>50865557
fuck those cunts...git gud
>>
>>50865542
>>50865557
The issue with Dredge isn't for lack of hate, it's the problem with Game 1.

There is really no maindeck interaction against Dredge in Game 1, and because it's powerful enough, it often wins.

At least with bullshit with Affinity and Infect there are plenty of flexible cards that give you a shot Game 1.
>>
>>50865552
When was anything Magic related on the front page of Reddit?
>>
>>50865542
The thing is, the game isn't supposed to be Draw: the Sideboarding. If a card isn't Anger of the Gods or something that interacts with the yard, it might as well read "do nothing".
>>
>>50865704
cut the crap, you can't moaning about everything just because
>le exploiting the game
since dredge at least provide one of the last example of combo deck
it's true; dredge take serious advantage thanks to game1 (AKA surprise element) but on the other hand he suffers from strong and well-rounded sideboarding.
>>
So what IS getting banned if not a dredge piece?

Mana monkey? Cause that card is obviously designed only for combo/degenerate plays.
>>
>>50866834
That and Become immense I'd say
>>
>>50863758
>Muh pronouns
Yeah, yeah, get it out of yer system.
>>
trying to update my modern decks, I notice a lot of RG scapeshift lists using chalice of the void. some even main deck it. is it there for a particular poor match up or another T1 deck?
>>
>>50865420
>>50865428
>>50865453

The reason nobody talks about it is because it's not really an issue, beyond the reserved list legacy staples. Magic isn't that expensive compared to other hobbies, like you can spend any amount of money and get enjoyment out of this game. The fact of the matter is that even NEETs in mommy's basement can buy an edh precon or save up goodboy points for a modern deck, so there really isn't a problem with card availability.

If you look on TCG player right now they have a video where Raphael Levy goes to South Africa to see how magic players there get by. And its shit, because its a really niche hobby there with very few dedicated stores and no online markets. To get a set of grim flayers you have to travel around the country asking store owners if they have them and then they cost like twice as much as they do in the states. That's what happens when you don't have a thriving secondary market, you can't physically find the cards you want. So when you say that secondary market sellers are the devil you are actually choosing the death of the game over paying a few bucks for some cards.
>>
>>50866834
I never thought I'd see the day people bitched about SSG being broken. Holy fuck. You can easily tell who started after NWO.
>>
>>50866834
>Mana monkey? Cause that card is obviously designed only for combo/degenerate plays.
No you dipshit, Simian Spirit Guide is a Planar Chaos homage to Elvish Spirit Guide, which is a card designed back when Wizards didn't have a clue.
>>
>>50868003
Ban ssg, lotus petal is fine
>>
>>50868003
It's Lotus Petal dude.
>>
>>50832534
I just adore puresteel storm, but I don't have any money (and considering I live outside of the us, the fact that cards are expensive as fuck doesn't help), so I tried budgeting the deck a bit. What do you think, /modern/?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-metal-storm-hurts-too-right/
>>
>>50868185
I think Lotus Petal isn't Modern legal and if ghost rares were legal in Modern Delver would be banned.
>>
>>50868206
ghost rares? Also, none of the cards are banned according to the april banlist
>>
>>50868238
Do you see Strip Mine on the ban list?
>>
>>50863979
>Phil Foglio
That man fucking sucks
>>
>>50868263
Nope, wasn't it unbanned? It's only banned in legacy and vintage, right?
>>
>>50868274
Strip Mine is not banned in Modern, yet despite being one of the most powerful lands in existence, it is not banned. Wanna know the secret as to why?

Ghost rares, aka. Expeditions, Inventions, and whatever they call the cards going forwards, are not considered to have been printed in the set they are printed in. Lotus Petal has not been printed in a Modern legal set, hence it is not banned in Modern.
>>
>>50868185
Have you ever played eggs ?
Without moxes it is maybe too slow, and it die to hate, but you could give it a try

Also, moxes are the only expensive part of the deck
>>
>>50868288
I see. So it's not modern legal, but not banned as well, right?

>>50868289
I considered doing a janky eggs deck, but I really like the wincons of puresteel storm, and since I don't play modern competitively yet (I've been a commander player for all my life, but no way in hell I'm selling any of my decks to afford a tier 1 modern deck), I guess I'm going with it.
Eggs sure is an interesting deck, though
>>
>>50868354
>So it's not modern legal, but not banned as well, right?
Every card not legal in Modern is implicitly banned.
>>
>>50868361
I know. I'm not trying to imply that I can run it, just wrapping my head around the bans
>>
>>50867736
BTL scapeshift player here

I considered them because it blank a lot of cards from rather comons deck that gave me trouble(zoo,infect maybe more but I forgot some), and took them out because I needed 3 slots to play 3 copy, when my others sideboards cards are 5-of thanks to BTL
>>
>>50868169
Mono-red Lotus Petal. Also Petals can help with Storm count.
>>
is b/w eldrazi taxes well positioned right now? worth building?
>>
>>50854503
One of these things is not like the other. Liliana is not a staple in her color, it should be IoK or Thoughtseize in her spot.

>>50854357
Extended died because WoTC sped up the rotation, just like how they almost killed Standard by doing the same fucking thing. Frontier would be a mess too, the whole point of the format is to have a cheaper format, which is nonsense since prices would obviously spike the more Frontier grows. Not only that, but it would also make Modern more expensive as collateral damage (i.e, Fetchlands. Kommand, CoCo, Kalitas, Nahiri, Liliana, Flayer, Fastlands). A rotation once every 4 years would not only alleviate this problem, but would also allow all cards from ZEN-present to be used up until Fall of 2017, allowing people who can't afford to pay an arm and a leg for Legacy to play Jace, the Mind Sculptor.
>>
>>50869621
Kommand, Kalitas, and Nahiri won't see much Frontier play.

Other than that, yeah I totally agree. The idea of Frontier being a cheaper entry point is fucking retarded, you can already see prices spiking with Jace Vryn's Prodigy and Ajani Steadfast, and at this rate, cards that actually matter for other formats, like Fetchlands and CoCo, will follow. This is exactly what both the Hareyuyas and the Craig Berrys of the world want, Frontier is nothing more than a scam by speculators to rip off gullible scrubs. Just like Tiny Leaders was.
>>
>>50869701
^this. By promoting frontier, you are allowing the most toxic members of the community, like Craig Berry, to thrive and do more damage to the game we love.
>>
>>50869099
It's an adaptable deck and can be built into Mono W D&T or a non eldrazi BW variant if you'd like. While I don't think the deck is a powerhouse, it's a ton of fun to play and can be built to fuck with just about anything.

If you enjoy playing the deck I'd say build it.
>>
>>50865527
He should've held onto the Blessing until after your possible Galvanic Blast. If you had blockers that he was getting around with the Blessing, you absolutely did the right thing by not letting him have his cake and eat it too. People don't learn if their mistakes are always forgiven.
>>
>>50869730
Why call out Craig in particular?
>>
>>50869866
Because the fact that he's an unlikable sociopath makes him a symbol of MTGFinance douchebaggery.
>>
>>50869866
Because they're all scalpers.

Let's not even call it the secondary market, they're just all fucking scalpers.

There it is. Wizards is doing nothing to protect its customers from scalpers, and when anybody and their mother can be a scalper everything just goes to shit when your customers just don't want to bother buying your product anymore. And everyone else is just enabling the scalpers - like idiots; idiots like me who have spent so much money on the secondary market.

On this Christmas day that's what I'm going to call them from now on, fucking scalpers.
>>
>>50869866
Craig being a known sociopath/scammer makes him the symbol of scalpers. That's why Craig gets called out, he's a living argument against MTGFinance.
>>
>>50869944
^This.

You know shit's gone too far when even MaRo admits that there's a problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/comments/5jt6lu/mark_rosewater_asking_about_the_viability_of_snow/
>>
>>50870111
>Do Snow Duals fix the problem or do the best decks just have both?
>best decks just have both
Fuck MaRo. Fuck him so hard. That is a fucking question he should not have to ask the community because every single fucking employee at Wizards should be able to answer the question.

No, you stupid dumb motherfucker. Most decks run fetchlands and a minimal number of duals because fetchlands are more flexible for 3+ color decks and need to get basics to blank Wasteland.

Motherfucker. This is not redeeming at all, it just makes me hate him some more. That's not a question you field to the public because the answer is obvious. What you do is you fucking announce Snow-Tundra is coming and solicit feedback to see who doesn't like it.
>>
>>50869842
>can be built into Mono W D&T or a non eldrazi BW variant
Why would you want to do that when b/w eldrazi is the best variant out of those.
>>
>>50870220
Because they're fun and eldrazi can get boring.
>>
>>50870184
MaRO isn't the boss of WoTC, he has no control over who gets hired. The problem here is that Thug Leeds is a corrupt motherfucker who hired people who don't know shit about the game they're supposed to be designing. The guy was forced to resign for good reasons.

But yes, the answer is obviously that Snow Duals WOULD fix the problem, decks run mostly fetches anyway.
>>
>>50870111
That's just them giving us false hope. It's just another fucking line that players are going to feed other players to convince them that Wizards cares.

Just like when MaRo asked about reprinting Planeswalkers in block sets, when they asked about what we think about Standard, and what we think about Player Rewards.

You throw out the question but don't make any promises, it gives people hope for the future because it makes you look like you're thinking about it but you don't have to commit to anything.
>>
>>50870293
But he was forced to resign for insider trading, not for hiring malpractice.
>>
>>50870293
Anybody here can throw up MTGTop8 and see that playsets of duals are not common in Legacy/Vintage and answer MaRo's question. MaRo himself should have been able to do it.

The part that is offensive is one of two things. Either they don't know how to find their own answers from public sources like MTGTop8 or their goddamn MTGO team OR they're just asking to jerk people around with false hope that they give a fuck; and hope without promises of action is as shallow as the gesture and words.
>>
>>50870301
If they're smart, they're gonna step up their game now that Pokémon is quickly gaining momentum and they're getting absolutely killed by Hearthstone on the digital front. Otherwise Magic just end up like FoW and Yugioh and collapse under WoTC's own greed.
>>
>>50870354
Wait what happened to Yugioh?
>>
>>50870386
A perfect storm of $1000 decks, random unscheduled bannings, rampant theft that Konami did absolutely nothing about, and busted game mechanics have left Yugioh in the dust.
>>
>>50865478
>all these retards saying it depends
That's how the rules work. It's not even a misplay it's an illegal action. Not like they forgot to draw or missed a Bob trigger.
Can I just have mutagenic give plus 3 because i miscounted?
>>
>>50870411
Not to mention that the community these days is almost exclusively thugs
>>
>>50870411
>rampant theft that Konami did absolutely nothing about
what
>>
>>50870494
Every Regionals and YCS there are at least 3 cases of theft, and it's because the community is cancer and Konami encourages it with their printing of new thousand dollar decks that they ban out every 3 months.
>>
>>50870494
This right here should explain how disgusting the YGO community is for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySZIIQh4Lg
>>
>>50865263
>Nobody in their right mind would enter the format as-is and whoever entered with Modern Masters was more or less an idiot.

I just recently started playing modern because I got 4 Scalding Tarn and 4 Snapcaster Mage and all my shocklands from the Chinaman for my deck.
>>
>>50865646
>When was anything Magic related on the front page of Reddit?

Think he's referring to the mtg subreddit
>>
>>50871187
have fun getting DQed and kicked out of your LGS
>>
>>50870220
>Why would you want to do that when b/w eldrazi is the best variant out of those.
i have a strong preference for mono-white with thought-knot seers. sculler loses value quickly and strangler can be flat-out dead in some matchups where serra avenger, blade splicer and restoration angel are universally good cards at every stage.
>>
>>50871354
>have fun getting DQed and kicked out of your LGS

I've already played multiple tournaments and had zero issues.
Stay mad that you blew hundreds of dollars on cards that are going to get reprinted and tank in value :^)
>>
>>50871494
It's because you've never gotten a relevant placing in any of those tournaments and they didn't check your deck.
>>
Will Aethervial ever get reprinted or should I just grab proxies
>>
Is Temur vial control viable in the current meta?
>>
>>50871663
You mean Eternal Command?

I don't see why not.
>>
>>50834620
MTGLion is fucking clickbait at this point. At least AI produces actual content. AI is cancer, but Lion is both cancer AND an annoying attention whore.
>>
>>50871773
Top 4 Most cancerous MTGTubers, in descending order:

4. MTGHeadquarters
3. AlphaInvestments
2. MTGLion
1. MOTHERFUCKING DESOLATOR
>>
>>50871842
OMG lol Desolator. That guy is Verlisify-level cancer.
>>
>>50871842
Don't talk shit about des just because he beat your 2000 dollar netdeck with his crazy homebrew deck. Honestly, it's netdecker haters like you that are killing MTG along with the OP as balls cards wizards keeps printing.
>>
>>50871626
How would we know

>>50871663
Eternal Command is actually quite strong but is quite difficult to play correctly
>>
Is Mardu viable in the current meta?

I want to put my Kommands to use, but I can't afford Jund or Grixis.
>>
LOL at people who think Frontier will fix Modern's barrier to entry issues:

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/magic-origins/jace-vryns-prodigy?partner=MTGSTCKS

And this is just the beginning. Give it a month or two and he'll be a hundred dollar card. $40 CoCos, $50+ Fetches, and various bulk cards like Rhino, Rally, and DromCom will rise above $20.

Not only will competitive Frontier decks cost at least $1000, but Frontier will also increase the price of Modern, via Khans Fetches, as collateral damage. As long as MTGFinance remains unchecked and WoTC's failed policies remain unchanged, this is the reality.

This is why what we need is not Frontier, but a revival of Extended.
>>
GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF WE HAD FETCHLANDS THAT ONLY SEARCHED UP 1 LAND TYPE (I.E. FOREST TO FETCH UP A SAUCY FOREST/X SHOCKLAND) BUT CAME IN UNTAPPED AND DIDN'T COST 1 LIFE TO FETCH?
>>
>>50870411
I'm not to up to date with Yugioh but I'm pretty sure the games main format is relatively cheap outside a few outliers. The problem with Yugioh has always been the rotation.
>>
File: PoR.png (339KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
PoR.png
339KB, 396x554px
>>50873210
>>
>>50873703
Hmm no having shocklands come in untapped for free is little too powerful.
>>
>>50873703

Are you fucking with me? I would be happy with single type fetchlands that you did lose life for if they were printed at uncommon
>>
>>50873703
I've been thinking about non-fetch fetches alot, as it's an "issue" that "needs" solving, but any iteration would have no gameplay purpose besides cheap fetchlands. The shuffle effect alone isn't enough to warrant a card.

I've got a couple of whacky solutions but I won't bother shitting up this thread.

Another problem I think that needs addressing is Choke/Boil/Minamo/Oboro.

I think blue needs more Not-islands. Thank god that U/R isn't popular enough for choke/boil to be relevant. I understand them printing those silverbullet cards because lolblueop, but it's so weak in modern right now that the hate cards are like salt in the wounds.

Same argument goes for Flashfires. I would honestly run River of Tears I'm thay desperate, if not for the need for turn 1 Serums
>>
>>50871945
hearty kek
>>
>>50842069
I'm pretty sure the middle bar must be unobstructed as well so people can easily see card types and creature types. (and even set symbols in legacy)
>>
>tfw can't afford rug decks
I just want to play with goyfs, bolt, snap and cryptic ;_;
>>
File: IMG_5475.jpg (260KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5475.jpg
260KB, 768x1024px
>>50874239
No. At least the creature type can be covered since on older cards it's about meaningless anyway.
>>
Why is Glimpse the Unthinkable still so expensive when the only thing it's really used in competitively is meme decks like mill?
>>
File: IMG_5476.jpg (63KB, 292x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5476.jpg
63KB, 292x400px
>>50874239
>>50875119
>Also case in point
>>
>>50875150
Only one printing before WotC printed the shit out of sets.
>>
>>50872861
Nahiri mardu is sort of viable and gets played, but it doesn't run any creatures wroth returning with kommand and the slots are spend on way better spells. Any mardu deck with kommands in it is just a straight up worse jund and into the trash tier.
>>
>>50876072
Soulfire Grandmaster not good enough for Modern?

And fuck Nahiri, I traded my foil for an Arlinn Kord way back when SOI first came out. #regrets
>>
>>50876637
To clarify, it was a non-foil Arlinn.
>>
>>50876637
Damn that sucks.

Even foil Arlinns now retail for Nahiri's BUYLIST PRICE :O. The fact that it wasn't even a foil Arlinn, damn that really sucks.
>>
>>50876678
EDIT: didn't see that it was a foil Nahiri you traded for it. My god...
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.