[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly are the elements that make the FF8 universe? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg (182KB, 856x800px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_8_ntsc-front.jpg
182KB, 856x800px
What exactly are the elements that make the FF8 universe? It's Urban-Fantasy technically right? If I were to run a game in this setting or a similar one, what are the main things to keep in mind? What are the elements that make it work?

On a base level its very much "rule of cool." I mean, Laguna uses a machine gun and Squall uses a vorpal blade. Hell, Irvine uses a single shot rifle.

Mix all that together with one of the more believable "magic casting in modern times" type things. I mean, we get to legit see what most of the spells look like in cutscenes.

How would you run an FF8 game?
>>
>FF8 game
Better start making those Triple Triad cards
>>
>>50822737
No lie my wife already made most of them. We have plenty to play the actual game.
>>
>>50822688

FF8 is a fantasy setting with urban/modern aesthetics. The main themes are it's military theme (you are from a military school the hires out its students to soverign nations and villages to do things from fight monsters to bodyguard work).

The magic you have access to is essentially the watered down version of real magic which can only be done by a sorceress such as Edea and, if you really want to get into it. Time Travel is a big component as well.

As for running a game in setting? The over-all threat of a sorceress wanting to collapse all of time and space is virtually ended (or is it?) but there are still plenty of geo-political situations to deal with. I don't think just because Ultimecia wearing Edea as a sexy milf meat suit and fucking the Galbadian Government in the ass changes the fact that they still occupy that town who's name I can't remember and on top of that you just had a Lunar Cry which brought a fresh batch of super strong monsters from the moon and the re-building of Trabia region and it's garden.

So you imagine you and your mates are driving down the road when alll of a sudden a T-Rexaur sideswipes you and you find yourself re-enacting the scene from Jerassic Park except the T-Rexaur has been modified to be remotely controlled by some terrorist group looking to usurp the power of the old Trabian government and preventing you, SeeD from aiding in the task of helping it get back on it's feet and mending diplomatic ties with Galbadia.
>>
>>50822889
Don't forget that you can attach 99 blackholes to your weapon.
>>
>>50822889
>that town who's name I can't remember
The forests of Timber sure have changed.

>>50822889
>FF8 is a fantasy setting with urban/modern aesthetics.
and some Sci Fi when Esthar is involved.
>>
>>50822968
Is it in particular attached to the weapon? Like in Advent Children?
>>
>>50823380
No, In FF8 the Monster(s) in your brain can attach spells to your weapon or body. So you can have the demon that lives in your head shove 100 Firaga spells into your sword to make it do fire damage, or shove 100 Death spells into it to make your sword kill anything it touches.
>>
>>50823471

They never actually go into depth in how para-magic works but I imagine the GF in your head takes your para-magic spell and uses it to defend you against that sort of attack or uses the energy to bolster your body/weapons in some way.

If I had to put it into a pen and paper game I would say you "junction" the spell but can't use it least you loose the benefit of the junction.
>>
>>50822889

I have to say, I reaaally loved the first 30 minutes of FF8. You storm the beaches like it's fucking Normandy, fight all the way to the enemy command center, and then you get a call from HQ like "Yeah these shitheads didn't pay up so we're pulling out now. Be at the beach in 20 minutes or we're leaving you LOL".

Which explains why Squall so cynical for the next job, which is to have a bunch of in-over-their-heads wannabe revolutionaries take out the President of a sovereign nation. He knows that the minute these idiots bounce a check, the mission is over. It's just another job.

Of course, that doesn't really translate to the player because we've seen the fucking boxart and know that Rinoa is kinda the Main Female Lead. This isn't just another job to the player, it's the beginning of the actual plot--which just makes Squall's disengagement really annoying.
>>
>>50823593

Frankly I would have loved if he was more open with his snark and sarcasm. The best lines were locked behind his thought bubbles. I feel Squall would have been a better character if he was openly an cynical asshole.who changes overtime to be a good asshole.
>>
Does anything say why there are mercenary high schools all over the place and how they got started and why they fucking exist?

Why would people ACTUALLY go to school there if they werent orphans? Who's parents put their kid into that school?

I mean, its not like Naruto where is "muh village" but thats the closest thing I can compare it to.
>>
>>50823678

Not all the people who attend the Gardens go on to become soldiers. At least, that's the impression I got. We don't get to see what the rest of the world looks like and I imagine there are plenty of schools that normal people go to with Garden being like top tier academy sort of deal where you go on to work with your nation's government in some way.

Galbadian soldiers seem to be trained in Garden for instance.

Not only that, you have to apply to join SeeD as being a student doesn't autoatically make you a part of their military force.
>>
>>50823678

The Gardens are orphanage that turns kids into killing machines. They pretty much only take orphans, because that way they can force them to use GFs. Using GFs to fight eats your memories starting from childhood, so...most parents aren't gonna be down with that.
>>
>>50823723

I think SeeD is just their elite mercenary force, kind of like the Varangian Guard. But everyone in a Garden is some variety of mercenary. Galbadia Garden is special since it has close connections with the national government.
>>
>>50823743
The gardens are schools not orphanages. Not every person in Balamb us an orphan.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.