[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

So I'm rather new to the tabletop scene (I've GMed Star Wars D20, a homebrew elder scrolls system, and a Pathfinder game, none of which were properly finished due to reasons and the Pathfinder game is still going on) and I'm admittedly a very, /very/ shit GM. Not asking for a guide here, but anyone got tips they picked up over time to help a new GM? I already know to plan ahead of time (but not too far), but anything helps.

Pic unrelated, just a grippli I thought was cool.
>>
>>
>>50816193
Pick a good system that helps you (learn to) GM instead of working against you every step of the way, which is what the systems you listed do.
Ryuutama and Apocalypse World are the best GMing tutorials I know of.
>>
>>50816438
Many thanks, I will check this out! Already read to 17 and I'm liking it.
>>50816594
I didn't know this was even a factor. Although, I will say that those systems are rather convoluted and redundant for no good reason. I'll look into this.
>>
>>50817136
>I didn't know this was even a factor.
Few poeple do, because shoddy GM advice and needlessly complex mechanics are more or less marketed as the standard. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a good game of Pathfinder (Actually, there is, but that's an entirely different topic.), but you need either a pretty damn good mentor, several months of trial and error or a good, beginner-friendly game to learn how to GM in the first place.

Do note that Ryuutama is geared towards module/scenario play, while Apocalypse World is big on sandbox GMing, so pick accordingly.
>>
File: The Best GMs.png (414KB, 1235x2892px) Image search: [Google]
The Best GMs.png
414KB, 1235x2892px
>>50816193
The best advice I would give you is to spend some time watching other skilled game masters at work. Exposing yourself to good GMs can teach you a lot, and can give you a lot of ideas you can steal for your own games. If you go to YouTube, you can look for videos of games run by Chris Perkins, and for a show called URealms Live.

Perkins is a very skilled and technically proficient GM. He's good at running basic dungeons, good at handling monsters and traps, and good at creating situations that encourage and respond well to team work and creativity. He also has little or no ego in the way he runs, and helps the players achieve great things and feel heroic, without creating an atmosphere of conflict and rivalry. Very good guy to watch and learn from.

URealms is run by a guy named Rob Moran, who is much more freeform and non-traditional in his approach, and also does behind the scenes videos explaining how he designed the campaigns and what other things were meant to happen or might have gone differently. He, and the people he plays with, are very gifted at roleplaying. They are excellent at creating and defining characters, then sticking to them, and Rob has a great ability to tell entertaining and well crafted stories through improv and extrapolation. You can learn a lot from these guys about how to make PCs and NPCs feel more alive, how to encourage and reward players, and how to structure a story that is modular and responds to player actions.

There are a lot of other people out there you can watch as well who you might learn from, though these are the best I am aware of. If you are serious about improving yourself as a GM, you should at least give them a glance.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.