[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Freeform Roleplay General [ FFG ]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 38

File: freeformroleplay.gif (1023KB, 297x168px) Image search: [Google]
freeformroleplay.gif
1023KB, 297x168px
Well /tg/, I was remembering my days at freeform forum RP, and while nothing was particularly storytime worthy, it made me miss it.

Having tried multiple times since those days to get the same spark going again and failing, I have to wonder: is there anywhere good for Freeform RP that doesn't involve getting incredibly lucky and getting a group that doesn't suck?

Also just Freeform RP General
>>
File: 013.jpg (176KB, 800x563px) Image search: [Google]
013.jpg
176KB, 800x563px
Freeform roleplay with a close group of friends is like, 99% of all the roleplaying I do. Finding public groups has, in my experience, been a complete and utter nightmare. Pic typically related.
>>
>>50815875
I dunno man, I play on f-list and generally succeed in coming up with a neat scenarios that I manage to get off to before my partner inevitably ruins them

Does that count?
>>
>>50817713
I mean I personally count ERP as /tg/, even if for some reason Mods say it goes to /soc/.
>>
>>50817911
It went to /soc/ because the threads stopped being about actual game discussion (even lewd game discussion) in favour of posting profiles and hookup attempts.

And hookup attempts go in /soc/.
>>
>>50818022
Fair enough, though I still remember the screenshot of a list of 3.5 skills right above the mod say it doesn't go on /tg/. I dunno, I mostly read it for the opening post because that X, Y, Never actually ERP because Z format was great.
>>
I did freeform forum a few times. Usually bad, but I guess I'll share a little bit about one that I hung around for a few months.

>Fantasy setting.
>All kinds of races, and there are characters floating around who are gods.
>Psyche, it's post-apocalypse, with nature having reclaimed most of the world.
>Radiation caused humans and animals to become all sorts of your typical fantasy fare.
>The gods, except for their seemingly never-ending lifespans and specific mutant powers, are actually all perfectly normal humans, but there are no instances in memory of a god being slain by anyone other than a god, so everyone just assumes it's impossible.

And then the plot kicked off when the God of Dissension put together a band of other gods and slew half of the pantheon.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 236x295px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 236x295px
>>50815875
I'm also searching somewhere to engage in forum-based RPing, but I can't find a place fo' shit.

I was thinking a superhero / fantasy / anime-ish site would be nice, but at this point pretty much anything us fine as long as it's not a big steamy pile of poo. Which I get is asking a lot of these kinds of sites.

Do any anons know any good sites?, I promise I'm a pretty cool dude and a nice RP partner. You know its true coz' I say so.
>>
File: 1366916685069.png (75KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1366916685069.png
75KB, 184x184px
Typically in my experience, freeform games/encounters fall into two camps:
>Shitty players where the game goes on forever
>Amazing players where the game dies almost immediately
I'm a victim of the latter more often than I'd like.
>>
I remember some really great freeform RPs on hostboards in the 90s. They're all gone now.

I wonder if they were great because I was lucky, or if they were shit and I thought they were great because I was a shitty kid...
>>
File: 1374999257697.png (212KB, 311x310px) Image search: [Google]
1374999257697.png
212KB, 311x310px
>Chat freeform
>Forum freeform
Pick your poison.
>>
>>50822258
Forum everytime. At least you can try have a semblance of quality writing you simply cannot have with chat RPs. Those are faster, but usually are pretty terrible in terms of quality.
>>
>>50822258
Forum freeform. More time to work on a quality post, an easy way to catch up on what's already happened, and so on. In general, it's just a lot better than Chat freeform. Other than speed of posting, I can't think of a reason to use Chat freeform over forum.
>>
Freeform usually goes to shit, in my experience. I really like semi-freeform, where there's some structure and rules to the wide array of nonsense. While there's invariably awful players, the rules present prevent them from rampant god-modding, and lets you kill their speeshul snowflake in the most satisfying of ways. I've got a few anecdotes kicking around if anyone wants to hear 'em.
>>
File: 1350678695877.jpg (28KB, 499x509px) Image search: [Google]
1350678695877.jpg
28KB, 499x509px
>>50822583
We always love more stories. That aside, the best players are almost invariably those who are willing to accept the give-and-take between other players, even without rules. It's not just about being a good writer (although that's a significant part of it). If you're humble enough to take a hit, that alone makes you worth a second look.
>>
>>50822640
Oh, of course. Writing collaboratively is always fun, but writing competitively just adds another level to the whole thing.

I'll list some deeds I've accomplished during my travels, and let me know if any strike your interest.

>Beating the shit out of an edgelord 5 minutes after coming into existence
>"We're gonna steal the Orc's Declaration of Independence"
>Working under ancient eldritch abominations for fun and profit
>The Camelot Tournament
>That time half the site decided "Fuck Sasuke"
>Committing Violence against Volvagia
>Fuck this entire island in particular
>>
>>50822741
>Beating the shit out of an edgelord 5 minutes after coming into existence
>The Camelot Tournament
>That time half the site decided "Fuck Sasuke"
>>
>>50822741
I wanna hear about Orc National Treasure.
>>
>>50822759
>>50822780
Alright, glad to hear there's interest. I'm a little busy writing a post up now, but afterwards I'll start storytiming.
>>
>>50822583
I'd rather get some links/names of sites you like to RP in so that I can find a non-shit one.

Tell the stories too though.
>>
>>50822824
http://omniverse-rpg.com/

Beware of weebs, but most of them are pretty decent people. We're largely free from shitters now, which is unfortunate, as I write best when consumed by all-encompassing rage.
>>
>>50822845
Sounds good. You'll know me by the name of either Burger or Disco King.

Not an amerifat tho.
>>
>>50822932
Is it a good one?
>>
>>50822944
Fuck forgot to take the name off

Wouldn't have GM'd for 7 years if it wasn't. Great people as players, though sometimes powerlevels and such make their worst sides come up. Especially a few powergamers and whiners who'll never be satisfied.

Though it is less freeform than it was in the beginning. Hell, made a 300 page revised rulebook for it last year. It's my one source of autism.
>>
>>50822824
http://www.starwarsrp.net/ is a good one if you are into Star Wars. It's set several centuries after the movies and old EU, to avoid canon characters being important.
>>
>>50822803
Alright, here we go.

We'll begin with Fuck Sasuke, because seriously, fuck that guy.

A little bit of backstory. Sasuke was one of the older members, and he's a nihilistic asshole. He won one of the big staff events due to being a little bitch, avoiding PvP, and half-decent writing. He them proceeded to lord that over the rest of the site for the next year. His only other action of note prior to this event was banishing a new player to the site (All characters respawn in 72 hours, but banishing sends them to literal hell, and forces them to write up ~20k words to escape) after a minor incident regarding damage to a sidewalk. The fight involving this involved most of a fledgling faction of Weebs chasing a steampunk cyborg captain down, barely defeating him, and promptly banishing the first player in the site's history.

So there was a bit of bad blood about that.

The next act sealed his fate. Several months of inactivity later, he joined the next Staff Saga, involving recovering artifacts to put a powerful spirit to rest. Unfortunately, Sasuke believed that the artifact would be better served belonging to him, rather than his allies. He promptly turned them against each other, killing one, and abandoning the others, artifact in hand.

Fortunately, he began to show his true colours later, when he opted out of the end boss fight, and faded into nothingness.

It was at that point that people realized certain things.

>There were a lot of IC grievances about Sasuke
>There were more OOC grievances about his player
>He would be respawning in a fixed location, along with all of his victims.

And so the Nexus Battle Royale (Also known as the Sasuke Stomp) was planned.
>>
>>50823122
There were two sides to this fight. Sasuke's friends, and those who had IC reason to help him out, even if they disliked him OOC. Then, there's the forces of Justice, who really just plain hated the fucker, or just wanted to loot some of the artifacts he had come across during his time on the site.

The Sasuke Squad consisted of:
>Sasuke (Naruto, NPC) Edgy-ass ninja with lightning and shit. He abandoned the site when he realized he couldn't squirm out of the righteous smiting.
>Claptrap (Borderlands) Annoying robot with a large quantity of guns. Still a novice writer, but improving.
>Yu Kanda (Blue Exorcist) Samurai-Paladin fellow. Pretty good guy, his character had reason to help Sasuke out.
>Gamzee Makara (Homestuck) Insane clown berserker troll, generally just kind of along for the ride, and figured he'd help out the losing side.
>Straizo Rockwell (OC) Berserk blood mage. Joined Gamzee in the fight. Incredibly angry, and had a tendency to self-detonate.
>Ryner Lute (Legend of the Legendary Heroes) Another blood mage, although he did make use of mimickry to expand his toolset.
>Fuckin' Victor Wolfe (OC, NPC) An Edgy-ass assassin that was my first encounter in the Omniverse. Stealth, two blades, and absolutely no interest in joining the smackdown.
>Jupiter (OC?) He had a sword, a gun, and barely used them. Ran like a lil' bitch halfway through the fight.
>Retane (DBZ, not attending) While they would have potentially tipped the fight, they were also a cancerous influence, and were banned from the site due to flooding every discussion thread with rampant shitposting.
>>
>>50823299
>>50823299
The Sasuke Stomp had several proud members.
>Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat) Soul-eating sorcerer, heard the call to battle, and went to go steal some so- I mean, enforce justice.
>Atelos (OC) Grecian Spartan, not the Halo kind. Had some business going on with Hade's influence. Friend of Shang, followed him to battle.
>Sinestro (DC), leader of the yellow lanterns, here to stamp out the final remnants of Sasuke's faction.
>Magus (Chrono Trigger), genocidal Sorcerer here to loot the shit out Sasuke's corpse.

These four all shared a common trait. Fusion. This ability allows them to spend resources to combine their stats. Given the individual strength of these characters, their fusion ended up being a godlike figure of destruction, possessing nearly every possible ability in the rules, and with the speed, strength, and technique to destroy a building with a single punch.

But, there were some that stood aside from this apocalyptic force.
>Agent Smith (The Matrix) The party wronged by Sasuke, Smith had a bevy of martial arts to call upon, in addition to the age-old classic, a gun.
>Colonel (Megaman) A pawn used by Sasuke, Colonel is out to redeem himself, and take down the enemy of glorious justice.
>Okor Paleblood (40k) A Death Guard dating back from Barbarus, Okor appears to redeem the honour of his subordinate Colonel, take some artifacts, and kick some arse.
>>
It's really being lucky. I got my lucky strike with a forum group in the least likely place, and I ain't sharing.

It's a shame that anything that isn't a crossover game usually dies, but I don't mind.
>>
>>50824266
I mean, I got lucky for a good 5-6 years, but eventually we all got too busy to keep up RP. Now that I have time, most of the group has disolved.
>>
>>50823299
>>50823422
>crossover game
>shitty pretend mechanics
>those godawful characters
>beating up someone who already bailed on the site
Anon I understand how you're trying to spin this but you and your buddies sound like titanic faggots.
>>
>>50824529
Eh. I admit we toed the line a little, but in the end we did have a good time and a great fight.
>>
>>50824266
Luck plays a major part in who you get, yes.
>>
>>50815875
I've stuck with the same close friends for the past five years. I've never been able to get into tabletop, and now I live in a country where nobody speaks my language. Heard D20 is shiiiit so I'm kinda stuck here.

But I've had pretty good times with my free form group. We recently went balls deep into a DBZ RP. Surprisingly grounded and fair despite the concept.
>>
>>50822741
DEFINITELY want to hear the "fuck Sasuke" part.

Pls, pls, pls, pls, plssssss
>>
>>50824556
>>50824529
Agree. This sounds like absolute faggotry but I'm really glad you had fun.
>>
>>50822845
How does this site work?
I only skimmed enough to see that it takes place in locales like Coruscant and Minas Tirith (the capital of Camelot).
>>
>>50822845
>crossover roleplay
>meaningless stats
>Obvious attempts to make LEEPEST DORE with a kitchen sink setting
>a link to Iwaku, a site that has an underage ERP section and the most faggoty shit-tier moderation possible
>retarded post count = strength system that exists solely so admins and their buttbuddies can be unbeatable
Yeah how about no.
>>
File: 12-YCcul.jpg (220KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
12-YCcul.jpg
220KB, 800x600px
I remember when I was in a free-form roleplay things where I was supposed to be the villain.

It was four or five other people working together, and I was supposed to be their opposition. We had a conversation together beforehand and agreed that I should be more powerful than any one of them, because I was seriously outnumbered.

They never let me even hit them. Not a single attack made by me ever landed on any one of them even once. Not when they were in a group, not when I caught them alone, never. None of them were ever injured by anything other than silly self-inflicted things like getting caught by a random enemy arrow or slipping and spraining their ankle.

It was THEIR FUCKIN IDEA to make me more powerful than them. That was the first and last time I ever tried forum RP.
>>
File: rape spiders.jpg (298KB, 1104x1202px) Image search: [Google]
rape spiders.jpg
298KB, 1104x1202px
Oh boy freeform thread time to drop native CSes.
>>
File: All dem martial arts.png (588KB, 912x1961px) Image search: [Google]
All dem martial arts.png
588KB, 912x1961px
>>50827512
Funny thing, this guy never actually used martial arts of any kind.
>>
File: This was legit.png (101KB, 1140x840px) Image search: [Google]
This was legit.png
101KB, 1140x840px
>>50827560
I remember seeing this and it was really hard to figure it out but after looking through his post backlog he was either incredibly dedicated to pretending to be retarded (2 years, 2000+ posts) or he was just legitimately retarded. I assume the latter, because he had played variants of this character prior to this.
>>
File: Fantasy Jim Jones.png (142KB, 920x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy Jim Jones.png
142KB, 920x1224px
>>50827595
This one's got a story attached, if anyone would like to read it. It's not really about him- he was fundamentally horrible, but the real star of the show was Derg the Sperg, who tried to whiteknight for a woman who didn't even like him and ended up getting cucked by wildlife.

Also, I've realized most of my caps are on an external drive, so I'll just dump whatever I have related to these creatures and how disgusting they are.
>>
File: 96T8t6D.jpg (309KB, 1440x928px) Image search: [Google]
96T8t6D.jpg
309KB, 1440x928px
>>50828039
>>
File: 1418366311989-0.jpg (497KB, 668x1731px) Image search: [Google]
1418366311989-0.jpg
497KB, 668x1731px
>>50828143
>>
File: 1402428651873.png (90KB, 653x717px) Image search: [Google]
1402428651873.png
90KB, 653x717px
>>50828217
>>
>>50828257
>>
>>50827512
>inserting his mpreg fetish into an edgy elf necromancer.

Oh my god.
>>
>>50828257
This one brings up a question for me that maybe you guys can weigh in on: referencing famous people. To you guys, which, if any of these, are acceptable:

>Being related to someone famous.
>Being implied to be related to someone famous.
>Just having a name shared with someone famous.
>>
>>50828807
>>Being related to someone famous.
Nope. Unless GM and other players approve.

>Being implied to be related to someone famous.
Nope. Unless GM approves.

>Just having a name shared with someone famous.
Pretty okay, possibly helps say something about the character (e.g. you based the personality off of the famous person). Just don't overdo it.
>>
>>50828807
The only answer is to go full retard and play a famous actor who is in turn playing your character.

For example: "My character is Grobnar the Steadfast as portrayed by Keanu Reeves"
>>
>>50815875
I never really tried freeform RP, but I did stumble on a site for it while searching for tabletop resources. It seems like it works when it's a group of relatively mature people that aren't interesting in one-upmanship and anime fight sequences. Most of the guys I saw seemed to treat any battles that occurred as narrative things, in that they did whatever was coolest or most engaging to read. I noticed some other people that were clearly there to win pretend battles, but they seemed to be in the minority, so they got almost bullied into accepting that the others wouldn't give a shit about their forum combat code of conduct.

Some of these guys were actually pretty good writers. I kept following the posts of a few of them for a while until activity on the site seemed to gradually simmer down and die. I hope at least a few of them have moved on to professional writing.

So anyway, I guess it seems like it can work if people treat it more like a work of fiction everyone is contributing to than like a dick measuring contest.
>>
>>50828217
I love how upfront this is about the character being a massive edgelord.

If I didn't know better I'd think we were looking at a self-aware Reaper ish situation.
>>
It's kind of sad but the first real RP stuff I ever did was free-form in a small subsection of a tiny little video game forum. It petered out after a while like most of the forum's creative projects, but I really enjoyed it while I did it.

Ever since, I've been playing various RPG systems but I've kinda realized that I don't really like them anywhere as much as I liked the freeform we did all those years ago.
>>
>>50829656
That's the same way I started.
>>
File: THE COLD GELID AREA.png (226KB, 1140x1204px) Image search: [Google]
THE COLD GELID AREA.png
226KB, 1140x1204px
>>50828380
Batsperg was wonderful. New character every day in a different game and every single goddamn one was Batman.
>>
>>50823422
Don't stop now, I'm so ready to find out how that guy got fucked in the ass
>>50828039
Also you, we're always ready to here about idiots being idiots, please continue.
>>
>>50823422
So I looked for the guys you mentioned and while Sinestro and that Atelos guy aren't there Shang Tsung and Magus are both disgustingly overpowered and gay as hell.

Even with just the two of you it's looking less like "justice" and more being huge fags with your overpowered as fuck characters fused into an even more overpowered as fuck character.
You didn't even have to come up with a fucking plan or anything outside of fuse and steamroll. There's no cleverness here, anon. It's just a story of you and some other losers using an opposing loser's character as a sandbag for your broken as shit unstoppable supermen- and after he had already bailed on the site, no less. That's boring.

I mean just look at this shit. How is this, on any level, fair?
>>
>>50830410
Why is there so much redundancy with all the "hard light" powers? This looks like some terrible version of the HERO system
>>
File: edgardo.png (973KB, 1514x4546px) Image search: [Google]
edgardo.png
973KB, 1514x4546px
>>50830735
Every power not the admin-approved ones has to be assigned a specific, narrow usage so that people with more points than you can hardcounter it.

And from the looks of things it basically is retarded HERO system down to autistic-as-hell but also poorly-thought-out rules like having to take an entire week before you can start shit with someone, having to write a master's thesis if someone sends you to hell, etc.

Basically it's the sort of thing Edgardo put up with where it's the worst parts of freeform and actual tabletop put together.
>>
File: Alex1.jpg (1MB, 1109x2645px) Image search: [Google]
Alex1.jpg
1MB, 1109x2645px
Merry Christmas /tg/.

This was posted here a while back. I couldn't find the original series of pictures, so I went back to the website it was on and found it. Get ready /tg/, because if you haven't seen this before, you're in for a wild ride.
>>
File: Alex2.jpg (7MB, 885x8704px) Image search: [Google]
Alex2.jpg
7MB, 885x8704px
>>50831099
>>
File: sparkledogthesword.jpg (265KB, 800x826px) Image search: [Google]
sparkledogthesword.jpg
265KB, 800x826px
>>50830961
How many OM points do I need to make this baby and its wielder?
>>
>>50831203
This reeks of Kingdom Hearts bullshit. And more than just from the word "keyblade."

Also,
>stanless steel
You leave Stan out of this.
>>
File: Alex3.jpg (3MB, 887x4646px) Image search: [Google]
Alex3.jpg
3MB, 887x4646px
>>50831123
>>
File: Alex4.jpg (4MB, 883x5139px) Image search: [Google]
Alex4.jpg
4MB, 883x5139px
>>50831249
>>
>>50831284
Good God, it never ends
>>
>>50831290
Little known fact

D&D wizard mains are the same type of people as these people who make these overly long list of special moves and powers for their OC in shonen games
>>
File: Alex5.jpg (7MB, 835x7099px) Image search: [Google]
Alex5.jpg
7MB, 835x7099px
>>50831284
>>
File: Alex7.jpg (1MB, 1103x2115px) Image search: [Google]
Alex7.jpg
1MB, 1103x2115px
>>50831328

>>50831290
Nah. This is it. Here's the player's summary of the character and the mods' reactions.
>>
>>50815875
I wonder what would happen if /tg/ had a freeform RP forum...
>>
>>50831407
We tried that around when Edgardo first happened.
Everyone involved agreed it was shit and that running actual games was more fun.
>>
>>50831407
Nothing because there'd be no point. It'd be creating a place to do something that its population only does ironically to upset the people that actually enjoy doing the thing.
>>
>>50831407
The best stuff from /tg/ is when we "raid" an RP board. And by Raid I mostly mean lead by example, like that one time we raided Iwaku with actually decent RP.
>>
File: Iwaku.png (1MB, 1487x3635px) Image search: [Google]
Iwaku.png
1MB, 1487x3635px
>>50831932
Speaking of Iwaku
>>
File: its working.gif (1MB, 400x170px) Image search: [Google]
its working.gif
1MB, 400x170px
>>50831932
anyone got the screen caps from the percy jackson RP that got trolled?
>>
>>50832298
I like how Iwaku is an FBI honeypot for pedos
>>
I used to play in a Zoids forum RP. I played a travelling musician, with a friend who played a turbo-edgelord as my straightman. We built up the best competitive team of zoid fighters by teaching our players not to write like shit.
>>
File: Sparkly.jpg (47KB, 432x599px) Image search: [Google]
Sparkly.jpg
47KB, 432x599px
Needs to be crunchier than Merkel's vagina or I'm not touching it with a hundred-meter pole, unless I'm so completely stoned that I don't even give a fuck what anyone else is saying.
>>
>>50833092
I really love crunchy systems but I also like the freedom that freeform can give you.
>>
>>50833092
crunchy in what way?

Cuz that crossover game has rules out the ass but it's all so stupid and badly put together
>>
File: guard.png (23KB, 854x246px) Image search: [Google]
guard.png
23KB, 854x246px
As someone who is currently the GM of a small freeform group, I can say for certain that freeform RPing will certainly be complete shit unless you A: have a good list of rules to prevent shit like rampant sex and "lol I kill u nothin personell" and B: you need to do a good job of enforcing those rules. I used to be on a forum that had neither of those, and while there wasn't any sex since it was a site for young teenagers, it did have a lot of people who thought they could kill your character because they said so.

Speaking of that forum, I do have some stories from when I used to RP on there. Which story do you guys want to hear first?
>"There's no way you're a zombie!"
>Forced Tournament Arc
>The Forum's That Guy
>When The GM Is Really Dumb
>>
>>50834155
>When The GM Is Really Dumb
>>
File: Gurps Infinite Worlds.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gurps Infinite Worlds.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
I've always liked the idea of freeform role-playing but after all the horror stories I would never attempt it without a group that I knew I could trust not to be complete cock garglers
Freeform always seemed to be the way to go for crazy high-powered stuff that is hard to actually stat out, genre focused stuff where the themes and narrative have more priority, or settings that require players to have a lot of flexibility when it comes to their abilities like JoJo
>>
File: Quality Rping.png (251KB, 1620x2701px) Image search: [Google]
Quality Rping.png
251KB, 1620x2701px
>>50834213

Alright, so there was this guy who was rather immature. This was because he was like 9 or 10 years old, but I didn't know that the time. For convenience's sake, we shall call this kid Bip. Anyway, one day he decided to post a new freeform RP, that took place in a real-life version of the forum that the RP was hosted on. This meant that the forum was like an actual city, and the player characters were basically self-inserts of the people playing them. This sounds incredibly stupid, but such a setting wasn't so unusual for the people on the forum. After all, one of the forum's moderators had made a game that took place in a setting like that, and there was a huge RP I was in that took place in the forum setting. However, what was unusual about Bip's RP was that it was about how his self-insert was promoted to admin status for some reason, and how this would result in absolute carnage.

Pic related: The last I had ever seen of Bip in the freeform section (Bip is the guy whose username is covered with white)
>>
>>50834424

(Note: I was about 16 years old at the time)

I didn't know what to expect when I joined Bip's RP (I was one of the first people to do so), but it had been a while since I played freeform games and there weren't any other active RPs at the time, so I figured it was either play this or play nothing. The RP started slowly, but it got faster as more and more players started trickling in. The first sign that something was wrong was when Bip's self insert's troops appeared and started killing everyone who wasn't a brony and didn't play warframe. The second sign that something was wrong was when Bip said that my character was shot in the head and he "died an unavoidable death". All this in the first two pages of the RP. Since the forum had no rules for freeform RP, I just complained that I didn't want my character to die so soon, then I treated it as if the bullet barely missed. Bip didn't acknowledge my post, which I assumed meant that he decided to roll with it, but my later experiences with him revealed to me that he preferred to deal with conflict by barely acknowledging it and doing as little as possible to keep people happy.
>>
>>50834685

Bip's RP only lasted for a couple days, but it was one heck of a ride because there were many people in it all actively trying to fight Bip's self insert. To be honest, the game was actually pretty fun despite Bip's incompetence as a GM, but this was all because of the players. Whenever Bip posted, it was more often than not complete bullshit that he would not have gotten away with if we actually had a good set of rules. Here's a highlights reel of what Bip's self insert did in the RP:

>Murdered all the site's admins and moderators one by one, while actively trying to destroy the forum. Wouldn't have been as bad if Bip actually explained why his character was trying to destroy the forum, and why he was promoted to administrator in the first place.

>Constantly pulled the ol' "You're dead because I said so" bullshit to multiple people, even though everybody would just rightfully ignore the "you're dead" part of his posts. One person got so fed up with it that they actually did let Bip kill off their character (though they changed their mind after a few hours).

>Pulled powers out of his ass all the time. This includes: regeneration, telekinesis, teleporting, giving other people telekinesis, and some others.

>Near the end of the game, he stopped acknowledging player actions that he didn't like.
>>
>>50834814
He ended up saying "fuck it" and ended the RP by having a super-powerful army appear out of nowhere and kill everybody. Bip then attempted to revive the game, but nobody wanted to play because they didn't want to continue having to deal with such a poor GM. As time went on, Bip tried to revive the RP several more times, but nobody bothered with him. Unfortunately, this wasn't the end of my experience with Bip, as he joined in other RPs and shit them up by inserting random characters into them. Why, I do not know. Thankfully, he eventually matured and stopped being so obnoxious.

Now, which story should I do next?
>Forced Tournament Arc
>The Forum's That Guy
>>
>>50834824
>>"There's no way you're a zombie!"
>>
File: ripped with military muscle.png (30KB, 664x485px) Image search: [Google]
ripped with military muscle.png
30KB, 664x485px
>>50834824
Zombies then tournament arc
>>
File: zombie18.png (23KB, 200x308px) Image search: [Google]
zombie18.png
23KB, 200x308px
>>50834880
>>50834896

Ah, this story. God, some of the people on that forum took RPing too damn seriously. This happened even earlier, when I was around 14-15. Back then, there was this big boom of "X Are Attacking The Forum" games, with X being some general threat such as aliens and monsters. They weren't at all serious, and involved plots that were only an excuse for gratuitous amounts of action to occur. One of these games that I participated in was called "Zombies Are Attacking The Forum". I don't remember much, but since nobody was fighting other players, there wasn't much bullshit to deal with. As the game went on, it was revealed that aliens had masterminded the zombie invasion, so we had our characters go in spaceships to the alien's moon base in order to take the fight to them.

In the middle of the battle, I decided to spice things up by having my character get injected with a serum that turned him into an advanced zombie. After writing a badass description of my character slicing an alien scientist in half, only for the scientist to use his last moments to inject the serum in my character's neck, I waited to see who would encounter my zombified character first. That person turned out to be some guy whose character was an edgy Sonic OC, and this is where my story takes a turn for a worse.
>>
File: TTSLsL7.jpg (42KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
TTSLsL7.jpg
42KB, 400x366px
>>50835092

Now, when people find problems in RPs, they try to fix them. Usually, the first step of this process is acknowledging the problem (For example: "Oh no! That dragon is smashing up the castle!"). However, this guy decided to solve this problem by trying to make it so that it never existed in the first place. So, he spun up this story about how his character actually knew about the alien's plans two weeks ahead of time, and so he went and replaced the super zombie serums with orange koolaid. Even if we ignore that the aliens probably would have noticed that their super zombie serums had been replaced in the two weeks they had before the invasion, this still makes no sense because if his character knew about the invasion, he probably would have gathered a bunch of people to go in and trash the aliens before they could even invade. The guy was pulling all this out of his ass, and why? I really don't fucking know. I can hardly imagine why he didn't just have his character go, "Thank goodness I just figured this out. EAT THIS! CURE ZOMBIE VIRUS PUNCH!!!" I should have politely told him OOC that his explanation made no sense, and that I just wanted to make my character fight on the alien's side at least temporarily. However, I didn't give a fuck, so I just had my character continue being a zombie without telling Sonic OC about how dumb he was being. I figured that if I did that, he would just go with the more sensible tactic of just fighting my character and maybe discovering a zombie cure, but I was wrong.
>>
>>50835310

He started INSISTING that I should not be a zombie, all while my character continued being a zombie. He was stubborn, and refused to admit that I could've just been injected with a super zombie serum from a different set, even after several pages had passed. It got to the point where he actually sent me an angry pm bitching about how I shouldn't be a zombie. Let me remind you that this wasn't a serious RP at all, and yet this guy just couldn't admit that his character had failed to solve the zombified-ally problem through retconning bullshit. At this point, I realized that my current strategy of being a zombie anyway was not going to work, so I just told him that what his character did made no sense and that I wanted to be a zombie dag nabbit. This finally got him off my back, and the freeform shenanigans continued.

After a brief break, I shall continue with the forced tournament arc, as suggested by >>50834896
>>
File: Dark-Tournament-Stadium-02.jpg (102KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Tournament-Stadium-02.jpg
102KB, 640x360px
>>50835400

>Forced Tournament Arc

This story is a little different from the last two, because it didn't take place in some silly little RP. It took place in a serious RP, the first one I had ever been in. A quarter of a way through the 2 year long game, some 11 year old that we'll call X decided to join, and man was he terrible. While I've now realized that almost everybody in the game wasn't as good as I thought they were(including me), X was so bad that even us stupid kids noticed how shit he was. He vehemently refused to let his character lose, to the point that in his first fight against another player character, he actually transported his opponent to an alternate dimension where his character had godlike powers. The worst part is that we were too stupid to directly tell him to knock it off, we just had our characters yell at him for godmodding, which did nothing to dissuade him. Though he did become more subtle with his bullshittery after that first battle, he was still a pain, even worse than Bip. This got at its worst when he decided to derail the game by forcing everyone to fight in a tournament.
>>
File: Moon.png (147KB, 362x366px) Image search: [Google]
Moon.png
147KB, 362x366px
>>50835910

This wasn't a spur of the moment decision. X did not suddenly throw a tournament at us and force us to fight. No, he planned this shit out. First, he had his character turn bad and leave our team (Several people had done this before, so this didn't seem out of the ordinary). Then, after a brief stint of working with another evil player character to capture my character and forcibly turn him into their pawn (Which failed because I asked them to let my character escape), X used a mixture of cunning and bullshit teleportation powers (more on this power later) to get a magical symbol on three characters, including my character. With the other two people, he got the symbol on them after he subtly forced them to sign a contract that basically made them his bitch under the promise that they'll fight for justice (Well, he tried to be subtle anyway. Kinda hard to be subtle when you teleport their weapons away and kept on teleporting them back into the room when they try to leave), and with me he just slapped the symbol on my character while he was lying on the ground injured.

After we were done killing one of the 7 generals that were working for the BBEG, X made his move. Out of nowhere, X summoned pic related and said, "This moon will crash into the world and destroy it in 24 hours unless you face me". Unfortunately, the GM was not online at the time and we were still too stupid to directly tell X that he shouldn't be derailing the game , so we just had to go along with it. Our characters tried to destroy the moon, but despite being nowhere near the moon, X kept on spamming ultimate-level spells to counter our efforts. So, we gave up and had to go find him, except for me.
>>
>>50836125
See, at the time (I was like 13), I loved to do stupid shit like plan way ahead in RPs without notifying anyone. The next part of my plan was to have my character leave for some time to upgrade his sword, and I would have been fine with delaying my plan to have my character go fight X if the GM had approved of his plan. However, since X was going against the GM, I decided that I was just going to have my character ignore the whole moon scenario. That was dumb of me, but what was dumber was what X decided to do about my character's unwillingness to get railroaded, but more on that later. First, I must explain X's greatest and most godmoddy power, his teleportation power.

His teleport ability is out of this world. He rarely teleports himself, but he does teleport other people all the fucking time. Wanna get away from him? Too bad, you're getting teleported back in here no matter what you do! Does he want to meet you? Even though you're miles away and he shouldn't even know where you are, you're gonna get teleported right into his face. Fuck, I'm getting miffed just thinking about it. X abused this teleporting power so much that I would never allow a character with teleporting powers in any of my RPs unless it has limitations that are described in detail. It got that bad. However, X really didn't really start to seriously abuse his teleportation power until he started forcing the tournament on us.
>>
>>50836265

As everyone besides me was searching for X, he got impatient and decided to teleport everyone to his location, including me. He then separated everyone into groups of two, and placed each of them in a separate forcefield dome that were impossible to escape from because fuck you. He then stated that he was sick and tired bla bla bla he hated everything bla bla bla so he wanted to smash the world with the moon because it was the only right justice or something like that. X was only willing to fight one person, so he decided to have us fight each other in a tournament to decide who was worthy of facing him. Obviously, nobody wanted to do this and kept on trying to escape, so X revealed his secret weapon: he used the symbols he placed on me and the other two characters to basically take away our agency and force us to fight. Some other player and I went with it, but the other guy absolutely refused to go along with X's bullshittery. He had his character make a nice speech about how the symbol couldn't control him because the contract he signed that let X put the symbol on his hand said that he would be fighting for justice, and letting X destroy the planet with the moon was the opposite of justice. While X was trying to keep that guy under control, I decided to have my character regain his free will, then use the power from his anger to smash through the forcefield and start throttling X. At this point, X completely lost control of the situation, and chaos ensued. I cannot remember everything that happened next, but I will try to list the best highlights.
>>
>>50836348

>A couple armies controlled by other players decided to go attack X to prevent him from killing everybody.

>Every time someone broke a rule, X would say, "You're just making the moon go faster!" It got to the point where the moon was going to crash into the planet in ten minutes.

>However, one guy managed to slow the moon down by literally flinging himself at it and shattering his legs in the process.

>Another person saved the Earth by catching the moon, then spending five minutes getting her arms crushed before another character sucked the moon into a pocket dimension.

>The game's pace picked up dramatically. Before, the average post rate was around 5 posts per day. During this event, the post rate was like 50 posts per day. While other arcs took a couple of months to complete, this arc only took a few days only because we were posting so damn quickly. It was like a chatroom.

However, the best part was when the GM finally got back on. I can only imagine what this guy's face was when he looked at the game and saw like 25 new pages, all of us having a retarded godmodding slapfight with X. And so, the GM made a nice, short, simple post that almost instantly resolved the chaos, allowing us to easily tie up the loose ends created by X's shenanigans in order to put this railroaded arc behind us. This is what the GM said:

"Stop teleporting people so much X, it's getting annoying."
>>
>>50836417
And that was the Forced Tournament Arc. Now all that's left is to talk about the forum's That Guy, but it's getting late. If this topic isn't dead by the time I get back on tomorrow, I'll tell you guys about the stupidest character I've ever witnessed.
>>
>>50831203
I still get a laugh from that one even after seeing it dozens of times.
>>
File: 20161122_233839.png (711KB, 857x2239px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_233839.png
711KB, 857x2239px
A Classic
>>
I want to say one of the unspoken issues with freeform is also the demographics. You got a bunch of younger folks who have vastly different interests in shit and it shows.

Like Harry Potter and other fantastic boarding school media still have a massive influence on magic school games. Or fan games in certain babby's first x anime. Sure there might be some older people but that guarantee's nothing
>>
>>50840830
See, you say younger folks, but a lot of these people have been doing this shit for years and have only degraded as time has gone on. The average age for these sites is a lot closer to the 20's-and-up range, I've found. Age has nothing to do with it.

Rather than young people, I'd say the basic issue with these sites is overwhelmingly shit taste partnered with a hugbox environment because the mods don't want to lose users. All of these idiots have obnoxiously bloated egos and can't write for shit, and the moment you tell them what they're doing wrong they get pissy and shut down because they can't handle any form of argument. It doesn't even have to be a heated argument, you can be perfectly civil and polite and they'll still crumple at the slightest touch.

This isn't even going into the horrible "GM is god" attitude they all have, doubly so because none of the GM's actually GM anything; they think it means "guy who gets to be more speshul snowflake than everyone else". Partner that with zero overall investment on any level from any of the players and the fact that every one of these people has incredibly stagnant tastes based primarily on what mainstream vidya/anime they saw most recently, and you get a site where only games with hardcore autistic shitters can survive for any period of time.
>>
>>50841180
"GM is God" attitude is the worst fucking thing on those sites. Unfortunately that sort of user coddling is pretty mainstream.

The only place where open criticism happened in freeform in my sole experience was the Gamefaqs board, but the problem there was toxic in that it came from these wannabe authors that treated freeform as like a practice fro their novel writing even thought my dumb 13-year old ass knew that structurally you couldn't compare the two. And they were the type who would shit walls of text which weren't helped by how primitive the gamefaqs forum software is.

Like a single post would be long enough to create multiple pages in a word processor and then perhaps several extra posts which was painful to read due to aforementioned shit forum and their insistence on doing these intros that tended to be lengthy followed by equally lengthy setting info and then finally the character info to fill out. And then they'd have this insanely self-indulgent format of freeform called NRPG which stood for novel rpg where the goal was to make your posts worth multiple pages.

I'd argue /tg/ has worse taste what with shit F/SN's or Gate's setting/worldbuilding interesting or the meme boner for monster girls that leads to stupid CYOAs or that period of time where multiple ERP threads would exist. Because at least with usernames you can filter out the worst of the worst but here it's not doable unless they use trips.

I believe that stagnation is probably the problem I'm facing when I use these sites as I keep feeling like I oiutgrew them/ too old due to finding that a good chunk of these people don't have the same interests as me and I can't be bothered to play the stuff they do.
>>
>>50842035
>novel sized single posts
God i hate this. It's not just GameFAQs, tons of places have that Quantity = Quality attitude. I think it comes from being told that short is bad, but never realizing it's very possible and very easy to go too far in the other direction.
>>
There was this cool superhero site where you could use any and all powers. Even OP ones. They balanced it with the fact that the mods were strict about godmodding etc and had ranking systems. It was good fun. I remember making a hero called Split who could clone himself forever.
>>
>>50842229

I know there's plenty of places that quantity=quality attitudes but outside of GameFAQs I've never seen specifically that NRPG format. Sure there's the so-called advanced sections where the lengths are longer but I've yet to see one where they're specifically shooting for trying to hit lengths of multiple pages
>>
File: fcZrVFD.jpg (474KB, 1149x2453px) Image search: [Google]
fcZrVFD.jpg
474KB, 1149x2453px
Behold, freeform combat.
>>
>>50845420
4TH DIMENSIONAL DEMPSEY ROLL
>>
Oh boy, freeform RP was my sole reason of existence back in the day. Sadly my very first posts from vanilla WoW alpha days don't exist anymore, the site hosting that forum apparently cleaned house, but god I remember my rampant hype about everything, bad writing and how it was fueled by my raging teenager hormones.

I eventually got into a group of around four people, me included, and we were basically the very reason the WoW-rp section of that forum survived.
>Me, very much the dude with author complex, but undeniably the most varied characters
>Chill dude with very bumpy writing style, fairly good design of characters, always living in the shadow of
>Brother one, incredibly motivated, extremely focussed on maintaining high power level and wildcard powerfantasies, often got banned for trolling in other sections and provoking mods, remarkably often playing female characters
>Brother two, more often than not playing female characters, equally high powerlevel to keep up with brother, now that I think about it always fairly removed from the group except for brother

We had the odd guy joining, but our core was always the same. I played with these guys for about four or five years, everyday, some breaks, and I couldn't have been happier. Now looking back, I hope they're well - The forum is dead, the last post in the rp section was one or two years ago.

Friends, if you read this, I'm sorry I just went off the radar. I had finally made friends in RL and I had a whole new world to explore.

P.s. You know I'm right about our descriptions. Don't deny it.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.