[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crunchy games with interesting races

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

I'm looking for a recommendation for a game system that go beyond the DnD cliche of human, elf, differently coloured elf, dwarf, third kind of elf, orc, yet another elf, etc.

More than that, I'm looking for a system that makes the races mechanically different, especially if that system's setting then details the way that the mechanical differences influence the race's culture and lifestyle. Eberron did this with its 3e Warforged, and then undid it with 4e and 5e by removing all their interesting racial traits. (Warforged not needing rest of any sort was a really interesting feature, backed up by in-game immunity to Fatigue and Sleep.) Bonus points to Eberron for, despite being a DnD setting, putting the elves, dwarves and orcs off to one side where they're easy to ignore.

So, lots of different races, in a way that has the rules make them feel different rather than just being funny looking humans. Any suggestions?
>>
>>50813046
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talislanta
>>
File: Raelia Cloudsplitter.jpg (711KB, 766x1554px) Image search: [Google]
Raelia Cloudsplitter.jpg
711KB, 766x1554px
>>50813046

You want Fantasy Craft, anon. Wanna be a tree man? How about a six-armed clockwork robutt? Murderous gobiln? A friggin' twenty foot tall giant (possibly with halfling buddy)? A (young) dragon?
And they're all mechanically distinct.

It's roughly equal to D&D 3.5 in levels of crunch, but well balanced with loads of mechanically distinct options for martials. (Wizards are a bit dull, they were to be fixed with the Spellbound book, which is due to come out just before hell freezes over, it appears)
>>
>>50813066
Don't be fooled. It's a near-unplayable fantasy heartbreaker that thinks it's clever by not calling its elves "elves."
>>
>>50813046
>Eberron did this with its 3e Warforged, and then undid it with 4e and 5e by removing all their interesting racial traits

Moron detected
>>
>>50813046
I would start by not being a lazy faggot and doing the work of homebrewing something.
>>
>>50816880
Homebrewing is honestly a blast too. I agree with this guy.
>>
>>50816961
I don't see why people are so afraid of a little world building. Don't like elves and dwarves? Fill their niches with things you do; I for example have a species of canine centauroids like the attached image.
>>
>>50813879
What makes it near unplayable?
>>
>>50813066
>>50813879
I've wanted to read/play this, why is it bad?
>>
>>50817170
At least for me the problem is that you can't just make a 5e race that does this, races in 5e as a whole do not do this kind of thing. Changing creature type, Large size, more arms for free shield hand, etc. are unprecedented and don't fit into the racial system. You can re-do the races entirely, of course, but that's when you look for games that already do it well.
>>
>>50813046

Al Qadim has human, elf, differently coloured human, and dwarf.
>>
>>50819905

Isn't there a specific formula for determining how multiple limbs work in relation to ability to hit and skill? I could have sworn there was in 3.5. Don't really see how changing creature type or size effects the racial system beyond having to accommodate the campaign for any specific quirks like the Warforgeds' lack of needs or a pixie's flight; every NPC should be operating on the same mechanics as the PCs (unless you're using those crappy minion templates from 4th e), so so long as you slap a valid class and level adjustments on whatever you want to play, it should be good to go.
>>
>>50820118
Probably in 3.5, yeah, but not in 5e. Multi-armed races don't have an official port but homebrew generally allow you to grapple without a hand free, use items and open doors and such more per turn etc., with maybe a small combat tweak like being able to use custom weapons requiring 4 hands that are slightly better than normal ones. Flight, size change, anatomy change all have their problems since D&D likes its puzzles, dungeons and so on and if you're a centaur visiting a treehouse town then you can't do shit. There are good reasons to keep things close to human but mechanically I'd still like more distinct races.
>>
>>50813046
So, not to be that guy, but...

Have you ever heard of our Lord and Savior GURPS?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.