[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VS Colossi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

File: Alpha Spider.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha Spider.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
After talking on here for a while about fighting giant things in a way that's fun and not shit, I'm back with some brainstorming. This is what I've come up with in terms of shit that needs to happen and some thoughts on it.

1.System has to have methods for both giants, normal creatures, and everything in between

Of course "Everything" could just be one more category for "Medium" but whatever. Basically, any system for fighting giants MUST also have methods for fighting normal human sized foes as well. Because no matter how hard I rail road these guys into just fighting giants, eventually they're gonna wanna fight each other or some other guy or a wolf or something. And thats gonna be REALLY fucking stupid if they the just leap on each other and crawl around, stabbing each other in the ass. Probably the best way to handle this is having basic combat actions always work the same but with additional mechanics available for giant things. Lets call this the "Dragon's dogma" method because it basically takes the same approach. DD lets you use the same buttons and systems for everything, but your grab button that lets you grapple and hold human enemies lets you climb on giant things, and your normal attack buttons while climbing do stabs and slashes. The same systems, just with more stuff to do with them.

2. Climbing systems need to strike the right balance of streamlined and in depth.

The mechanics of climbing a big living thing are gonna be inherently kinda weird and have to have more depth than "Roll x to climb" but they also can't be overly complex or it will make the act of climbing a giant thing a terrible chore. I have to make sure to keep the number of rolls and actions required for a climb action small, and not have too many conditions to keep in mind for it either. If done right it should be partially cross compatible with grappling smaller creatures.

Part 1 of ?
>>
File: shadow-colossus-theme-vm11.jpg (165KB, 749x468px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-colossus-theme-vm11.jpg
165KB, 749x468px
3. Giant creatures need to represented with HP per parts or even something more simulation like.

Rather than universal HP, giant creatures need to be broken down into individual bits and each bit needs HP itself. Optionally, or maybe even optimally, all creatures should have body part HP, which will allow things like dismemberment or crippling systems developed for giant creatures to be used on normal creatures too. Individual part damage means that each part needs to have penalties from being damaged. This is a bit difficult to do in a generic method because these colossi could have very different shapes. It may require, instead, that stat points are put into limbs and parts in the ways they make the most sense for that creature.

4.Mapping might be an issue
In terms of mapping movement on the "field" this isn't really a problem. Colossi will take up more space and cover distance quicker, while attacking areas rather than distinct units. But I mean mapping the actual body of the creature itself. Once creatures reach a certain size they're more hostile buildings than anything, and accurately displaying their body and where you are on it will be something important. On normal humanoids thats not hard, you could probably get away with a stick figure. But more complex creatures might be more difficult to display. Imagine, for instance, a horse. You'd probably have to have 3, 4 or even 5 maps to accurately display your positions. And god help you if you get weird shit like shoggoths or goo blobs or anything with a shape that varies. There's also the issue of colossi attacking players that are currently climbing them. Some times this would make sense, sometimes not.

Part 2 of 3?
>>
5. What kind of interactions are possible?
As I think about this, the things that come immediately to mind as stuff players would ask are
"Can I tame one?", "Can I be one?" "Can two of them fight?" And I'm inclined to want to allow that shit. Because riding a fucking giant like a pirate ship and doing boarding actions against other giant things with their own crews, and shooting arrows at each other and stuff would be great.

At this point I think the thing I'm gonna focus on is climbing mechanics. What makes climbing harder, what makes it easier, what things there are to manage and what makes it fun or exciting. Try to get that to work well and go from there.
>>
Ooh boy, time to kill godzillas
>>
File: Colossal Crab Mountain.jpg (624KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Colossal Crab Mountain.jpg
624KB, 1920x1080px
You could maybe handle it with a system of points? The higher your initial aproach roll on a grab/climb the more points you generate. Actions such as climbing or attacking "sacrifice your grip" meaning you spend a certain amount of points to perform an action. Monster actions, like when the colossi try to shake off a climber would subtract points from the individual in question. Actions like focusing on gripping the monsters exposed edges or shaggy fur would gain points.
It becomes a game of resource management, spending as many points as a player dares to attack or gain an advantageous posistion and trying not to be forcefully removed by the enemy. In the same token, grappling becomes a game of control at the personal level. A fighter takes control of a grapple like they would hunker down on a monster, allowing them to out manuver their opponent.
When climbing a colossus they could also perform context actions like trying to exert control over the monsters movements somehow, or trying to break off a piece of armour. Again, those actions would consume a players grip.
When, and if, a player is riding a colossus, I imagine they would have 2 goals: using their posistion to have an advantage over ground attackers, either by making attacks themeselves with ranged weapons or by coaxing the colossus to attack the enemy themselves. Second would be repelling "borders" by either attacking them from a safe posistion or moving onto the body of the colossus using climbing mechanics and performing attacks against the enemy rather than the monster.
As for the range and mapping issue, I might suggest a more abstract approach. Break a monster into several locations (Each of which would have it's own hit points, armour and context actions) and enable a player to be climbing on a ny, and move between them for a fixed action, say a move 1 from leg to body, or a move 2 from leg to arm/head on a humanoid colossus.
Cont. in next post.
>>
File: Beast of the Forest.jpg (122KB, 900x659px) Image search: [Google]
Beast of the Forest.jpg
122KB, 900x659px
>>50813725
The move 2 would cost more than the move 1, as it is further and requires the sacrifice of more grip.
Overall I think a system like this keeps rolls relativly light, while allowing for depth and skill with risking grip points and potentially falling off.
Attacks would not be a case of hitting or missing, at least on the colossal scale, more a question of whether the monster even feels the weapon. More likely a weapon just does damage against a static armour value (Easily translated to an AC equivilent on the personal scale) and anything exceeding that is deliverd as damage. This means breaking off armour to deal more impactful strikes would be of critical importance.
>>
>>50813725
>>50813829
Thats not a bad idea for handling movement. Sort of a stamina meter, a lot like SOTC or DD.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.