[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Western

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: images (27).jpg (28KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (27).jpg
28KB, 443x332px
What is the best system to use for running a Space Western, in the same vein as Firefly or Cowboy Bebop?
>>
>>50811031
The Firefly RPG.

/thread.
>>
>>50811031
Coretex or Traveller
>>
>>50811041

I don't want to do a campaign set in that universe, just one influenced by it
>>
>>50811181
Then probably Traveller is your best bet, seeing as how Whedon was rumored (read: totally did but won't admit it) to have been heavily influenced by Traveller when creating Firefly.

FFG's Star Wars RPG could be a decent runner up if you want a more narrative system for a space western, but you'll probably want to stick to the Edge of the Empire line only since those are the books that focus more on scoundrels, smugglers, and mercenary types.
>>
File: Gorram.png (248KB, 900x861px)
Gorram.png
248KB, 900x861px
>>50811638

Here's a summary of what we know regarding Whedon and Traveller:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/13668/is-joss-whedons-firefly-based-on-the-traveller-rpg-he-played

The text doesn't mention one other Traveller system which might be related, "Gorram" is an interdicted world. No travel in or out by Imperial decree, for reasons that were left up to the referee to decide.
>>
>>50811031
Feng Shui or Legends of Wulin.
>>
>>50811041
Except that game is shitty. Try again. Though it is good for mechanically statting up child cyborg hookers.

>>50811056
Yeah, Traveller can work, though I know very few people that enjoy Traveller as an RPG near as much as most other options. It is very much an old RPG, with both the good and bad that comes with it.

>>50811638
Edge of the Empire is pretty much perfect for this sort of thing, and it also comes with the bonus of being for the exact same type of stories: playing as scoundrels and outsiders on the fringe of an authoritarian regime. Also, it is one of the easiest systems to hop into for new players and DMs since it has -- at least in my opinion -- the perfect blend of narrative and simulative design.

>>50811753
These definitely work, but are probably a harder sell to most groups simply by virtue of being relatively niche. Also much less crunchy than EotE, for better and worse.
>>
>>50811031
SWN, and it's free
>>
>>50811889
Yeah, Stars Without Number is pretty solid, though it should be noted that a 2nd edition is going to be coming out eventually.
>>
Bounty Head Bebop is pretty decent.
>>
>>50811031
You could use Stars Without Number and refluff it
>>
>>50811031
Every time I ever played Rogue Trader it quickly slipped into being "Firefly but way more industrial".

After a point we stopped trying to hold true to 40k and just embraced it. Tons of fun.
>>
>>50811041
>/threading your own post
kirru yourself for restore honour
>>
Mutants and Masterminds 2e with Traveller ships and equipment.
Very successful.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.