[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips For Running Large Groups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Scum.png (127KB, 250x275px) Image search: [Google]
Scum.png
127KB, 250x275px
Forever DM here, in need of help. I've DM'd various systems (GURPS, DnD, Pathfinder, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Rogue Trader) for the last eight years, but my largest group to date had eight people. I'm being posted to Amundsen-Scott Station pretty soon, and word's gotten out that I'm a decent DM.
Long story short, I'm going to be stuck for the next year in the south pole and forty people want me to DM a campaign for them. I'm out of my depth here, so do any anons have tips on how to manage that many people?
Also, general character art thread, I'll be needing it.
>>
>>50798018
>Don't
Take on as many campaigns as you want and have signups on a first come first serve basis, and then give pointers to anyone looking to become a DM
>>
>>50798018
40 people at once?
>>
>>50798018
>FORTY PEOPLE
>>
>>50798018
The answer is to run multiple campaigns which take place in the same setting.
>>
Getting the players to group up seems like a good idea- maybe run Rogue Trader, divvying them into 4-8 different crews? That way you're only having to directly handle 4-8 people (the captains.)
>>
Do not even dare attempting to DM for that many people in one game. Assuming you truly can't train some other DMs to take some strain off of you, make multiple groups and either have each do their own thing or have them all involved in the same storyline/world.

If done right, it would probably really fun for both the players and DM. Just imagining discussing something my group did that helped out the mission of another group unknowingly sounds cool.
>>
Get the 10 most creative folks and teach them to DM? that way you can keep some of your sanity
>>
>>50798018
Anon, I don't think that's possible to do at once, too many voices and opinions at that point. You could do multiple games and have them all take place in the same world, but that's going to drive you insane with keeping all the detail straight. Maybe train up some of them to GM?
>>
File: Mega-Altaria_(dream_world).png (49KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mega-Altaria_(dream_world).png
49KB, 300x300px
>>50800439
>>50798205
>>50798018

So I'm going to be in a similar situation this upcoming semester and I've figured out that it's a mix of these two anons ideas.

Me and another guy are going to be DMs for a large group of people but in a weird way.

1) we have a master dm folder in a hope drive space that stores all the informatkon about our singular world. Anytime we use something, something changes, we add something new, whatever we talk it over and add it to the changeling and other appropriate sections of the Google drive.

2) The players will all be a part of a Herod's guild a la fairy tale (hate to use an anime as a source but it's the first thing that comes to mind.) All the characters are considered part of the guild at all times and everyone in the guild gets leveled up once every two real life weeks. This means that everyone stays on the same level. Even if they don't play that particular character they still get leveled up, but they may not get gear. It's just considered that they will be going on side missions the whole time and still improving their experience and knowledge. Doing this avoides several pitfalls with large groups:

A) no one party to get tired of each other. Every dm run game is considered a major quest that any of the heroes gud members can join but it only happens once so if you want gear you have to quest with the dm and get some people with characters together.
B) nobody gets tired of a character. If they get bored they can just make a new character that gets added to the ranks of the hero guild. This also helps because we have friends at other colleges that come down and might wanna play one-shots
C) It allows us to take liberties and be silly. Most of the people we'll be playing with won't have a lot of RPG experience And as such this gives them a kinda freeform space to get comfortable with RP and game mechanics.
D) even the DMs get to play. If I want to play I just make a character and run it in the other dm's session.
>>
>>50801668
*Google not hope

*Heroes not Herod's

*Avoids not avoides

Yeah sorry I wrote this too quickly on a cellphone.
>>
>>50801668
that sounds really fucking cool
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.