[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to boardgaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: TwilightImp.jpg (176KB, 1200x689px) Image search: [Google]
TwilightImp.jpg
176KB, 1200x689px
So I have been wanting to try boardgaming, since I went to a friends house and played this cool game where we were all in a huanted house and one of us turned out to be some demon controlling freakshow.

Before I had only played risk and monopoly, which wasn't really fun.

So I saved up and got my first board game of my own! (Pic Related)

It's YUGE! So many pieces. I am reading the rules now, and there's a lot to remember.

Anyone have any experience playing Twilight Imperium?
>>
>>50797231
Say goodbye to 6+ hours of your day OP.
>>
>>50797231
Never got to experience it firsthand, but several people I play with have tried it. They all like it a lot, but it takes so much of a time (and coordination) commitment they rarely play. They do really like it, though, it's supposed to be a pretty good game.
>>
>>50797231
Holy Jeebus, OP!!!

While TI3 is a great game, I wouldn't make it my first jump into 'real' board games. It's pretty complicated and requires ALOT of time to learn and play.

It sounds like the game you liked with your friends was Betrayal at House on the Hill. That's a fine game for beginners, and games around that 'weight' are probably where you want to start.

There's a Board Game General, /bgg/, on this very board. Go there, introduce yourself and ask for recommendations. You'll (probably) get some good advice.

>inb4 this whole post is bait
>>
Do you Catan?
>>
>>50799380
Why would you play Catan when you could play TI3?

Catan is the playdough to TI3s Structural Steel.
>>
>>50798884
>It sounds like the game you liked with your friends was Betrayal at House on the Hill

Sounds like that to me too.

I think OP will be fine with TI3. If he can handle that, he can handle any boardgame. I'm curious why he bought it though.
>>
File: WarOnTerrorBoardgame.jpg (750KB, 1868x1134px) Image search: [Google]
WarOnTerrorBoardgame.jpg
750KB, 1868x1134px
>>50797231
That is a grand start OP, might be biting off more then you can chew.

My first real nonvintage boardgame was pic related. I've found that I enjoy a lot of boardgames from FF, but there are a lot of independant publishers out there you should check out.
>>
>>50797231
So my experienced friends and I played the game for 6 hours straight and only got 1/6th of the way through the game. We decided to never play it again. It WILL take your WHOLE weekend.
>>
File: VQ.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
VQ.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
Jesus christ OP, don't be a pussy, Twilight Imperium is way too lightweight if you're experienced with games like Betrayal already

Try a real gamer's game
>>
>>50797231

Basically, I'm wondering if I know this guy
>>50801260

Because the only game i played we played for 5-6 hours and called it off a few turns before the end. It's a fun, in-depth game, but HOLY FUCK is it too long.
>>
>>50801260
>>50803649
Did you not read the rules at all before playing? Did you spend most of the time just shooting the shit and forget who's turn it was? Are all of you indecisive master strategists who need to find the exact optimal move to make?

I really like TI, I have all the expansions to it, and even with a full 8 player game we finish in about 10 hours. Granted, we finish because one guy usually does a sprint to 10 VP from 4 around round 4 or 5 but it isn't that bad.
>>
File: TI3 races and tech.png (92KB, 1137x749px) Image search: [Google]
TI3 races and tech.png
92KB, 1137x749px
>>50797231
OP - there are a lot of simple 'player aids' that can help new players more easily 'into TI3'. Make sure you get the most recent errata for the core rules from FFG's web site too.
>>
>>50803649
>we played for 5-6 hours and called it off a few turns before the end. It's a fun, in-depth game, but HOLY FUCK is it too long.

HOLY FUCK - bad teacher is BAD! Spend some time explaining the basic mechanics, and then explain that each player / race is going to have their own goals. Concentrating on your own while delaying others is the key to victory. Far to many noobs try to tech up or go all military and are soundly defeated. Teach players to stick with their objectives and things play out very well.
>>
>>50803935
>>
>>50803953
>>
>>50801495
What game is that?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.