[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DM Troubles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

So my store is about to swap some DMs, and mine looks to be the DM who enjoys killing players. He follows RAW without exception (stuff like heat metal, I target the speartip, whelp it's one entity so now your entire spear is heated). He has openly said that he will kill players if he feels it will bring enjoyment. No other reason, it's just fun to kill players. Yet the troll always says to not let your characters be statblocks, making it seem like minmaxing should always be shamed. How would I deal with that? And if there is no way, then screw it, how do I optimize?
For those interested, this is Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition.
>>
>>50796698
DM it yourself
Don't tripfag
eat your greens
>>
File: no bullies.jpg (29KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
no bullies.jpg
29KB, 720x720px
I'm going to be honest, minmax.

I hate cheese, I hate players who are addicted to builds and play only to maximize whatever, but in this case just make your character as strong as possible. I'd recommend a tanky paladin build with a lot of healing and defensive spells--prepare Lay on Hands like there's no tomorrow. Of course, don't just make your character "Tanky Paladin with a lot of Defense and Recovery." Throw on a backstory too. Remember: you can play a strong character and have fun RPing at the same time.

Basically, make a strong character, but give them a good story too.
>>
>>50796698
>(stuff like heat metal, I target the speartip, whelp it's one entity so now your entire spear is heated)
Well, you can at least use the spell offensively if he wants to be that way, and if he tries to go back on it you can call him out on being a hypocritical faggot.
>>
>>50796698
If they're swapping DMs, do you think you can follow the one you have to another group?
>>
>optimize
>5e

you're fucked mate
>>
>>50796698
>He has openly said that he will kill players if he feels it will bring enjoyment. No other reason, it's just fun to kill players. Yet the troll always says to not let your characters be statblocks, making it seem like minmaxing should always be shamed. How would I deal with that?
The guy enjoys making you make realistic characters and then killing them off.

DM yourself and steal his players and drink his tears once you show him being a bitch to people will make people not want to play with you.
>>
>>50796828
Tell me about it.
>>
>>50796776
Nope. And he's not much better from what I anticipate. He intends to throw Lovecraftian monsters in, which all have "You saw me? You even thought about me? You die.
>>
>>50796855
DMing myself could be an option....if players got to pick who was their DM.
I got campaigns and everything, but that would only half save myself, as I prefer being the player.
>>
>>50796723
I gotta keep tripfagging, I need me legacy.
Eat greens and DM though? I eat my greens, though DMing won't do much good.
>>
>>50796698
Going through characters like tissues can be fun but it must be in a properly built campaign (see most Only War campaigns). If he's running an old school campaign which focuses on high lethality dungeons and doesn't worry about carefully balancing encounters then you oughta stick around long enough to see if you enjoy it but if he's running a pre-gen adventure or something and still telling you he has plans to massacre your characters for shits and giggles then you're probably better of running something yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (308KB, 569x1252px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308KB, 569x1252px
>>50796855
This is the best option. Just don't get forever GMed. Your only other two options are:
Don't play
Or
Suck it up, buttercup

I really hope you take up GMing and your players start taking turns running a game and having fun.

I was in a situation like this. I viewed it as an ultimatum and forever GMed myself instead of stepping away. You can take a break, find a new hobby, or get a board game night going. If he is as bad as he sounds then he'll scare people away and make himself a rep that no one wants to be around except other who play like him. They'll gravitate to him and form their own little group of misfits who everyone will take their opinion with a grain of salt.

But I could be wrong.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.